PDA

View Full Version : What do your kids or other family members think of your biking?

wheels&wings
02-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Has Freezing Saddles changed their perspective?
I’m curious about the reaction of your kids -- or spouses, parents, other close relations.

My sense is that many of us ride virtually every day regardless of Freezing Saddles. Biking is just a way of life, our happy mode of transportation. But the indirect effects of FS on those around us may be significant.

My kids (now tween age) pretty much grew up on the double-Burley trailer, traveling thousands of miles behind my bike for years. We had fun adventures. But I know that at times they had mixed feelings, ‘cause it was yet another way (among several) that they were different from their peers. Sometimes kids like to be the same as everybody else.

Then along came Freezing Saddles – and to some extent, National Bike Challenge last summer – and I witnessed a shift in perspective. Suddenly the girls saw their mom’s name online in a community of fellow bikers, last summer contributing to Arlington County’s miles and this winter helping out a team of Bears. The kids follow our teams, study the data, encourage my two-wheeled errands, and keep tabs on how we’re all doing. They hear me laughing at the funny comments and pictures y’all post, some of which are printed out and stuck to our walls.

Thank you, Bike Arlington and Freezing Saddles, for validating and legitimizing cycling for my girls in a way that I could never do by myself.

rcannon100
02-19-2015, 02:02 PM
My wife and I go out for coffee on the weekends. All she talks about is rescue dogs. All I talk about is bicycles. Neither one of us talks about our boys. We are the worlds most boring couple. We are going to buy a beach shack where I will rent the junk bicycles I buy off y'all and she will run a doggy-daycare/ rescue center.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c1/a9/d2/c1a9d2f9e7de06b8dd08be37817161af.jpg

BTW this is our current rescue dog: Channel

dasgeh
02-19-2015, 03:20 PM
My 4 year old knows what a sleaze ride is and lets me know if she wants to come with me. She also knows how to check strava on my phone to tell me if I've hit 1.1 miles.
Because I'm a good parent.

sethpo
02-19-2015, 03:25 PM
There's definitely been iffy days (today for example) where I might have taken the metro but rode only b/c of the intense peer pressure of Freezing Saddles.

Alcova cyclist
02-19-2015, 03:57 PM
As a noob to FS (though an on-and-off cycle commuter for years), it's been an interesting evolution for me and my family.

My spouse actually got a little mad the first few times I went on a late-night sleaze ride (or proper ride) in "marginal" conditions. Now she just knows it's par for the course. For that matter, both of us have completely re-calibrated what we believe are "marginal" conditions. Today is a good example: I biked in to work without a second thought, where pre-FS I wouldn't have even considered it -- and if I had my spouse would have demanded a call or text as soon as I reached my destination because ice/cold.

My kids ask about the team standings and various side-bets, etc. I think my 15-yo might participate next year. I think (hope?) my kids also get that biking to work every day (for me anyway) is a way to "walk the walk" about the climate and resource issues that I tell them are important. [insert global warming / polar vortex joke here]

But most of all, I think they see me healthier and happier now that I have committed to biking most every day.

Powerful Pete
02-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Well, my family now supports my unhealthy BAFS habit... I share the FS leaderboards with my daughters and they are psyched when I/the Busters move up in the standings and console me when I/the Busters slide down in the rankings.

Also, the younger one is excited about bike commuting to school and has now become my light battery charger professional (she plugs in my headlights and helmet lights and checks the charge before going to sleep).

The older one tells me I am weird. But that's what teenagers are for, isn't that the case?

KayakCyndi
02-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Mr. Kayakcyndi thinks I'm nuts. He thinks that about the rest of you all too!

Powerful Pete
02-19-2015, 04:10 PM
@kayakcyndi, irrelevant point.

My wife has shared my BAFS riding with the rest of the family, and they are certain I am nuts.

All of our non hard core cycling significant others think we are nuts. They might be polite and not tell us, but that's what they really think, deep down. :)

lordofthemark
02-19-2015, 04:29 PM
My wife thinks it's cute. But is very happy I am doing something about my health and weight. She is a bit less inclined to think its nuts than most, as she is a hardcore winter walker and sometime winter hiker.

My daughter has admired when I've told her I am riding and she knows it's cold down here, but I don't think I've really fully explained FS to her yet.

The concierges at my apartment complex know about it, though not by name.

dbb
02-19-2015, 04:31 PM
My wife is convinced I have gone off the deep end.

To be completely truthful, she was of that mind before I began cycling as well. She just sees BAFS and the NBC as additional confirmation.

vvill
02-19-2015, 04:59 PM
My wife/kids don't really see it that differently from the rest of my cycling, although I've never gone that deep into the specifics of how FS works. It is calibrated though that I can go for a ride at any time of day in any conditions and it's no big deal.

Vicegrip
02-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Wife thinks I am nuts but that was well before FS. My kids are in the 10 / 11 year old range and my son asks me every day where I am in the standings. Both kiddos think it is pure "awesome" that dad rides in anything. Work people (automotive) cannot fathom the concept. Most are so overloaded with "What?!" that they cannot even form an expressible opinion.
I get a kick out of trying to explain BAFS to non riders. "Well, it is a silly game that is online but not online as everyone plays by riding days and miles and we sprinkle in pointless prizes. It is bike riding outside but tracked on a offshoot of a local bike commuter website that was self built by....." This is about the point they they glaze over or give me the "Wut?!" look. Pure win.

All in all the comments from those around me regarding my riding and health are positive.

ShawnoftheDread
02-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Wife just a few minutes ago: "could you promise me to just ride halfway tomorrow?"

Me: No, of course not.

She: "okayyy."

rcannon100
02-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Just ride to coffee, and stay there all morning!

dasgeh
02-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Don't get me started on work people. I get a lot of "surely you didn't bike today" to which I respond "of course I did"

Brünø Moore
02-19-2015, 10:57 PM
My Chinese housemate's mother is visiting. I walk in the back door—and between my WABA bike cap and other gear, it's pretty obvious I've just come in from a ride. Mind you, it's 12º outside, and, in my house, you can feel the draft and hear the wind whenever it blows. When it's cold, you KNOW it's cold. So to see someone walk in from a bike ride...

There were some questions (housemate translating) about my sanity. I had to pull up the Buff and pull down the brim of my cap to show how I made it the mile or so back from Proteus in the cold—but, even then, there were comments about my red ears. I'm not sure how well Freezing Saddles translates into Chinese, but housemate sure gave it a good shot. Her mother seemed to...well, "understand" is a strong word, perhaps, but close enough.

glennpstevens
02-19-2015, 11:18 PM
The older one tells me I am weird. But that's what teenagers are for, isn't that the case?

The older one is obviously not wrong...

elwbikes
02-20-2015, 12:44 AM
Aww, these are so heartwarming. Boyfriend thinks I'm a little crazy, but knows how much I love biking/BAFS.

Mikey
02-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Wife just a few minutes ago: "could you promise me to just ride halfway tomorrow?"

Me: No, of course not.

She: "okayyy."
Just ride halfway and then ride back? makes sense

Mikey
02-20-2015, 06:38 AM
My wife signed up and is on my team this year, which has helped motivate each other. Now I think my wife is jealous of me for getting to ride since her commute is mostly on FFX county sidewalks and sidepaths which are blocked by snow and ice. No matter how bad the MVT is it's better than Little River Turnpike.

jrenaut
02-20-2015, 07:28 AM
I'll let you know what the kids think of my biking after I take them to school in 6F.

ewilliams0305
02-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Don't get me started on work people. I get a lot of "surely you didn't bike today" to which I respond "of course I did"

oh yess!, this is getting old! come on now it's February and i've riding everyday since the beginning of summer. Are you really so daft that your still surprised and have to make the same comments everyday!

(all this while they stand outside smoking their cancer sticks freezing their nuts off)

ewilliams0305
02-20-2015, 09:32 AM
My daughter gets it! she's 10 and thinks I'm a super hero!

she goes to school and tells her teacher "my daddy road his bike 115 miles yesterday in 17 degrees", we've since had a parent teacher conference of a different sort... The kind we're someone if genuinely concerned for your mental well being... While she think I'm awesome, her friends definitely "know" I'm insane. They come over and see my bikes in the foyer dripping with slushy snow covered salt and literally role their eyes. I make them hot coco and suddenly I'm normal again.

I've decided not everyone needs to get it, not everyone needs to except that WE (bafs2015 participants) and tougher than they are. If they even have to ask the question WHY, they will never understand the answer!

consularrider
02-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Well, we did get some nice comments from the Java Shack patrons this morning (those that didn't think we were nuts, those we agreed with).

jrenaut
02-20-2015, 09:58 AM
My wife thinks I'm crazy, but then again, she rode with us halfway until we split and one heads to school and the other to work. Biking is simply the best way for us to get to school and work, regardless of the weather.

The big difference this week has been other parents at school. I typically get a lot of questions about the bike, but this week I've been getting even more than usual. Maybe people are thinking, "wow, he's really not messing around, maybe there's something to this bike thing after all". I'm quick to point out that good clothes can take care of most of the problems people have if your ride is on the short side.

The kids were fine this morning. We have our routine. They put on winter coats and gloves, snow pants, and balaclavas. We get to school and they leave helmets and snowpants with me so they don't disappear at school, and we bundle back up in the afternoon. They sometimes will ask, "do we HAVE to take the bike today?" and we patiently explain that driving or busing to school is no fun for anyone, and they seem to accept that.

worktheweb
02-20-2015, 10:24 AM
My wife has pretty much accepted that I'm going to ride if it is at all possible. I've been doing it long enough that the novelty of it all has worn off and she has seen that I'm not going to freeze to death. I think she does worry about my safety on ice and that the cold might get me sicker than other forms of transit. When she mentions my riding to her co-workers, evidently I am universally seen as either insane or a rule 5 sort of fellow. My toddler daughter seems to think it is really cool, and will frequently ask me if I am biking today. On nights where I've put in some miles for BAFS, if I go before she goes to sleep she wants to go too, but nighttime trailer rides for a two year old at 10°F might be a bit much for now ... Co-workers used to be blown away by it, but now they just find it to be "normal" and will frequently ask if I biked in on a particularly cold day, although since the answer is almost always "Yes", they don't ask as much anymore.

dasgeh
02-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Of course, if I think about it, I probably get more comments from friends & coworkers indicating I'm crazy for biking while pregnant than for biking in the cold.

dkel
02-20-2015, 11:17 AM

This. I wish they'd shut up about it already.

Vicegrip
02-20-2015, 12:57 PM
oh yess!, this is getting old! come on now it's February and i've riding everyday since the beginning of summer. Are you really so daft that your still surprised and have to make the same comments everyday!

(all this while they stand outside smoking their cancer sticks freezing their nuts off)I have had just this happen. Small gang of foot stamping chimneys telling me I was crazy for riding in the cold as I rode past the one and only smoking area which is in the dark dingy back of the back of a building and takes a walk from anywhere. I gave them a thumbs up and rode out into the crisp sunshine and had a nice calm quiet ride home.

Tim Kelley
02-20-2015, 01:00 PM
"Did you really ride today?"

"Oh yes, it's much too far to walk in this weather!"

jrenaut
02-20-2015, 01:04 PM
My default response lately is "how else would I get here?". No one has given any suggestions yet.

Steve O
02-20-2015, 03:57 PM

Just ride halfway and then ride back? makes sense

No, I think she meant just halfway.

jrenaut
02-20-2015, 04:32 PM
More "wow, I can't believe you biked today" from people at school. One of the side benefits of biking in this crazy weather is that people really notice, which hopefully will inspire a few to get on their own bike.

dasgeh
02-20-2015, 04:40 PM
More "wow, I can't believe you biked today" from people at school. One of the side benefits of biking in this crazy weather is that people really notice, which hopefully will inspire a few to get on their own bike.

My thought exactly. And when they say "wow you're tough", I try to respond with something like "I'm really not. It's not hard once you start doing it."

vvill
02-20-2015, 06:27 PM
"It's not hard once you start doing it."

Pretty much!

Sunyata
02-23-2015, 08:35 AM
My thought exactly. And when they say "wow you're tough", I try to respond with something like "I'm really not. It's not hard once you start doing it."

I say that ALL the time. I have several co-workers who are always saying how they keep meaning to start biking to work. I always tell them the first few days are kind of rough, but once you get into it, it becomes a habit. Now, if for some reason I can not ride to work, I feel horrible the entire day. Not to mention, my office looks really weird without my bike in it!

My boyfriend is super supportive of my riding every day. Luckily, he is also a cyclist so he gets it. In fact, I think he checks the leaderboards more than I do and always texts me when I increase my standing or beat someone he knows.

Mikey
02-23-2015, 09:55 AM
My default response lately is "how else would I get here?". No one has given any suggestions yet.

Reminds me of when I first started commuting by bike. It was fun to find ways to get to places by bike that I only have driven to before. Now with all the ice, It's the same thing, but instead I'm trying to find ways to get there without walking my bike.

jwetzel
02-23-2015, 12:55 PM
My wife was placed on a different team, so that makes for some interesting "you really shouldn't go out because it isn't safe" with the undertone of "I don't feel safe in this and don't want you getting more points than me" discussions, and "you need to stay home and do these dishes whilst I go for a ride"

My mom just tells me she loves me and to be safe.

Drewdane
02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
My kids think I'm an insufferable dork (they're not necessarily incorrect), and cycling is just another piece of evidence to support their belief.

Rod Smith
02-24-2015, 09:12 PM
So much awesome in this thread! Likes and Elites for everyone!

I live alone so no family members really know except my mom who thinks I ride too much but she likes it because she knows it makes me happy.

The people at work think I don't ride enough.

PotomacCyclist
02-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Posted by the League of American Bicyclists today: