PDA

View Full Version : Freezers and the Monster Cross

Raymo853
02-12-2015, 01:10 PM
I suspect there will be some BAFS folks joining me at the Monster Cross next weekend. Are there?
http://www.runriderace.com/page5

Tim Kelley
02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Yes. As Lady and the Tron.

Raymo853
02-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Lordy, I have never seen a Jones bar on a tandem.

Tim Kelley
02-12-2015, 01:53 PM

When was the last time you saw a tandem full suspension 29er? (It's got two Garmin Bar Fly mounts, you know, in case we get split up.)

GB
02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

Yeah, because that's the shocking part of that picture. ;)

consularrider
02-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Both Kayakcyndi and I are signed up.

KayakCyndi
02-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Both Kayakcyndi and I are signed up.

And so are vvill, dcv, and culimerc.

God I hope it isn't snowing!

Sunyata
02-13-2015, 03:33 PM
I will be there!

Raymo853
02-13-2015, 03:44 PM

God I hope it isn't snowing!

I hope it is colder next Sunday than this Sunday is forecast to be:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Richmond&state=VA&site=AKQ&lat=37.5536&lon=-77.4606#.VN5iF2OZis0

vvill
02-13-2015, 04:35 PM

Dirt, DaveK and dgm/Toonces too, I think.

The weird thing is I've hardly ridden my CX bike since CX season, except on commutes on pavement (with studded tires). I still have no tires on my CX wheels! Desperately lacking preparation.

TriGirlSara
02-13-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm going to be a game time decision based on how the weather's looking (lame, I know).

Vicegrip
02-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Lordy, I have never seen a Jones bar on a tandem.You have to love being in a group of true cyclists. Given the image at hand only a cyclist would hold something like the handlebars as an an item of note. :)

consularrider
02-14-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm going to be a game time decision based on how the weather's looking (lame, I know).

Well, right now one extended forecast has 5 - 8 inches of snow for the Richmond area on Saturday with Sunday ride time temperatures in the low 30s.

A couple hours later and the forecast is looking more reasonable, cold with much less snow.

KayakCyndi
02-14-2015, 07:10 PM
Well, right now one extended forecast has 5 - 8 inches of snow for the Richmond area on Saturday with Sunday ride time temperatures in the low 30s.

???? You are kidding me right? Weather.com has 1 inch of snow on Sat changing to rain. I'm still not sure how much fun 50 miles would be in cold rain and/or sloppy mud so who knows. Looks like I'll be spending even more time than normal tracking the weather this week!

consularrider
02-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Well, now Weather Underground has 1 to 3 inches of snow on Saturday, starting temps around freezing and some snow on Sunday morning. Amazing how this keeps changing every couple hours and we are still a week out!

consularrider
02-17-2015, 04:27 PM
The National Weather Service is doing us no favors. Here's the weekend forecast for the Richmond area (and they got about six to eight inches of snow last night):

SATURDAY
MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING...THEN A
CHANCE OF RAIN AND SLEET IN THE AFTERNOON. WARMER WITH HIGHS IN THE
MID 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

SATURDAY NIGHT
CLOUDY. RAIN AND SLEET LIKELY IN THE EVENING...
THEN SLEET...RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR
NO SLEET ACCUMULATION. WARMER WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.

SUNDAY
CLOUDY WITH RAIN LIKELY. WARMER WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER
50S. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.

Just getting there could be a challenge, let alone the riding part. :(

KayakCyndi
02-17-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm keeping a close eye too. A 50 mile mud fest just sounds awful to me. I might be eating my entry fee on this one.

Sunyata
02-18-2015, 08:52 AM
It looks like Sunday is going to be a slushy mud fest. Luckily, I signed up for the short race to begin with and was planning on riding my mountain bike anyway (seeing as I do not have a cross bike). Everyone else in my group is looking at changing categories, though. Mountain bikes are probably going to be the best choice for the day.

The beer at the end better be good. :eek:

Raymo853
02-18-2015, 10:36 AM
It looks like Sunday is going to be a slushy mud fest. Luckily, I signed up for the short race to begin with and was planning on riding my mountain bike anyway (seeing as I do not have a cross bike). Everyone else in my group is looking at changing categories, though. Mountain bikes are probably going to be the best choice for the day.

The beer at the end better be good. :eek:

I am worried about this event and my choice of category and bike. And if the beer is friendly or not. I signed up for cyclocross and planned to use my flat bar monster CX bike with 32 nobby tires. Now considering changing to either the single speed CX or MTB categories, but both my single speed mountain bike and single speed cross bike are not fully assembled. I have all the parts for both, they just need a good amount of work. Assembling a bike Fri night for a Sunday race is a recipe for disaster.

I am assuming the event will be postponed. Heard the area got nearly one foot of snow. Between that melting and the forecast, I suspect VA DCR will not allow the event to take place.

Raymo853
02-18-2015, 12:48 PM
I am worried about this event and my choice of category and bike. And if the beer is friendly or not. I signed up for cyclocross and planned to use my flat bar monster CX bike with 32 nobby tires. Now considering changing to either the single speed CX or MTB categories, but both my single speed mountain bike and single speed cross bike are not fully assembled. I have all the parts for both, they just need a good amount of work. Assembling a bike Fri night for a Sunday race is a recipe for disaster.

I am assuming the event will be postponed. Heard the area got nearly one foot of snow. Between that melting and the forecast, I suspect VA DCR will not allow the event to take place.

Just read the registration page text. It claims there will be no postponement due to rain, snow or weather. Also, I am not sure I understand if there is a fee to change categories. It just does not clearly state anything on the matter. Switching your registration to another racer does incur a charge of the difference between what you paid and what the fee is now plus an additional surcharge of $15.

Text from the website (https://www.bikereg.com/monster-cross-and-mountain-bike-presented-by-groundforce-it).

Race is rain, snow or shine! (the high temps the past 3 years have been 53, 52 and 70 degrees)

No refunds, but you can swap your entry with another racers, but must pay any change in current
fee.

During the two weeks prior to the race there will be an additional $15 fee to swap any entries.

I still suspect VA DCR may say no to the event happening.

Dirt
02-18-2015, 01:21 PM
I'll be there for sure. I'm pretty sure that they'll be okay with switching which class you're entered in. I'm thinking that I'll probably bring my mountain bike along in case conditions are a little better for it.

Should be a fun race!

DaveK
02-18-2015, 03:21 PM
I still suspect VA DCR may say no to the event happening.

This. As it's a park I don't think they'll be happy with what a few hundred cyclists will do to the trails in the rain and (please not) wintry mix. At a minimum I expect they'll take out the singletrack portion in the middle of the 50-miler as that'll get just ruined if the race goes on.

Sunyata
02-18-2015, 03:33 PM
This. As it's a park I don't think they'll be happy with what a few hundred cyclists will do to the trails in the rain and (please not) wintry mix. At a minimum I expect they'll take out the singletrack portion in the middle of the 50-miler as that'll get just ruined if the race goes on.

I doubt it will be cancelled. The first year I raced it was a nasty mudfest and the trails were pretty torn up afterwards. It rained the entire night before the race and for a few hours before, but it had stopped by the time the race started.

But hey, if they have a few inches of snow, maybe it will even out the three inch deep horse divots that were such a pain last year.

consularrider
02-18-2015, 04:00 PM
This email from the event organizers:

This is the first of a few race update emails....

Wanted to say thanks to Ground Force IT for supporting this event for the third year!

Thanks to other supporters from Coqui Cyclery and Lee's Famous Chicken and Michael David Winery as well.

We are working on the course and race day arrangements! Our current plan is to shorten each race to make the finish times about the same as if it were a dry course. More on this as we continue working on the course.

Saturday packet pickup will be held a Coqui Cyclery located at 3416 Semmes Ave, Richmond, VA 23225 from 10-5pm. Please take advantage of this on Saturday if your local or in town during these times.

I will send out a more detailed email on Friday on course conditions (prior to most of your desired travel dates).

I will probably not be able to respond to emails to me until after you have received the update on Friday as I will be at the venue most of the week.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday.
Thanks for being part of Monster Cross 2015!

For those in town Saturday evening, check out this fundraising event for RVA MORE, the local trail building volunteer group! It's being held at Hardywood Park Brewery! https://www.bikereg.com/trailicious3"

vvill
02-19-2015, 09:23 AM
So what is everyone planning on wearing for this? It looks like snow/wintry chances have gone down but it'll still be wet/muddy.

I have the option of bib shorts + legwarmers, or fleece-lined bib tights but with temps 35-45F, soaking wet rain is not going to feel nice with a roughly 4hr ride time. Wondering if I should get some rain pants to go over my legs. (I'm planning to go with a rain jacket for sure, and probably plastic bags under shoecovers for feet.)

Tim Kelley
02-19-2015, 09:28 AM
You'll likely go past the start/finish line more than once so you might have some options to readjust if needs be.

Raymo853
02-19-2015, 09:51 AM
You'll likely go past the start/finish line more than once so you might have some options to readjust if needs be.

Thinking this will be a 4 hour ride, making the plan for clothing is tough. Based on the forecast at this moment, my plan is:
Bike: Geared (1 by 10) monster cross with 32c tires and flat bars. Front SKS X-Board (http://www.amazon.com/X-Board-Downtube-Mounted-Bicycle-Fender/dp/B000X65O9S/ref=sr_1_12?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1424357650&sr=1-12&keywords=sks+fenders) fender (helps a lot)
Shoes: Shimano Winter (MW81?) that are not super warm. Will add chemical heat packs at start if it is below freezing
Head: One open top head covering, no neck covering, clear glasses
Gloves: My light but waterproof Pearl Izumi. (I have warm hands, can ride without gloves at 32)
Socks: Wool mid weight ones that do not change much in "warmness" if wet or dry.
shorts/jersey: My summer weight club's kit.
tights: Not super warm but ok water resistant ones
jacket: This is though, I do not have a good one for near freezing and potentially raining. May do warm layer under jersey, super warm arm-warmers, my red waterproof vest over my warm but not water nor wind resistant jersey/jacket with the arms cut off at the elbow. I can handle wet upper and lower arms with no issues.

I bet I will pull off the vest and arm warmers on the second lap if it is not raining while wishing I could swap the tights for knickers. Will not consider doing the latter as it would take too long and expose my derriere.

I think I'll carry an extra pair of gloves. If they get super muddy & wet from a fall I'll want new ones midway.

DaveK
02-19-2015, 09:59 AM
I don't know the answer as to what I'll wear but it won't be any kind of rain shell or similar. In a 3-4 hour race you're going to just be cooking inside anything that isn't breathable. If I had one I'd wear a Castelli Gabba for this race. The best advice is to wear a wool layer next to your skin so you're able to stay warm even once it soaks through, then layer on top of that as needed.

Tim Kelley
02-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Just ride harder if you get cold?

KayakCyndi
02-19-2015, 10:04 AM
So what is everyone planning on wearing for this? It looks like snow/wintry chances have gone down but it'll still be wet/muddy.

I have the option of bib shorts + legwarmers, or fleece-lined bib tights but with temps 35-45F, soaking wet rain is not going to feel nice with a roughly 4hr ride time. Wondering if I should get some rain pants to go over my legs. (I'm planning to go with a rain jacket for sure, and probably plastic bags under shoecovers for feet.)

Last night I started to assemble my clothing options. And by assemble I mean put everything I own in a large pile in the middle of the floor! So this is a very timely post and good food for thought.

That said, my bigger dilemma is which bike to ride -- Viaje with 40s or just go get the new El Mar Ti good and dirty. Anyone have thoughts?

Raymo853
02-19-2015, 10:16 AM
I don't know the answer as to what I'll wear but it won't be any kind of rain shell or similar. In a 3-4 hour race you're going to just be cooking inside anything that isn't breathable. If I had one I'd wear a Castelli Gabba for this race. The best advice is to wear a wool layer next to your skin so you're able to stay warm even once it soaks through, then layer on top of that as needed.

I have tried many wool bottoms and tops and hated each and every one. I find them so uncomfortable I cannot keep them on long enough to every really explore the benefits of these items. To me, wool only belongs in socks.

Raymo853
02-19-2015, 10:23 AM
bigger dilemma is which bike to ride -- Viaje with 40s or just go get the new El Mar Ti good and dirty. Anyone have thoughts?

I am using my old (first year) El Mar Ti with all disposal parts and a rigid front fork. (I call that my monster CX bike)

If I had a CX bike that was carbon or with new components I could not afford to replace, I would not ride it. All the grit and dirt I expect will cause loads of wear. I would really worry about a fork, I've seen nearly new Fox forks ruined by muddy gritty races.

vvill
02-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Last time I went for a ride that was going to be ~4 hrs and it rained hard, I turned around after 15 mins because my legs were so cold, although the rest of me was mostly fine (it actually shows up as #5 on rainiest rides on freezingsaddles.com). Also, my poor bike handling/cornering limits my off-road riding more than plain road rides so I probably won't be as warm since I probably won't be working my body as hard. If it were dry maybe I'd be warmer but I'm sure I'll be more conservative in the mud. My feet/hands get cold easily so I will definitely pack an extra set of socks + gloves, and either leave them in a waterproof bag at the start point, or just pack them in my rear pockets in a ziplock - I'd rather not have to stop for too long at any point in the event.

Agree with wool - I've already planned out wool layers with a standard jersey and then very a basic rain layer up top (this one http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1010B60 cheap, can open it up fully at the front, and basic mesh venting), but i just have no idea about what to do with the legs. Maybe 40F will feel a lot warmer than I remembered after this vortex.

As for bike, I am going with my CX bike with a similar front downtube fender as Raymo mentioned to avoid feet getting super wet. I don't want to haul the new MTB unless it's really snowy and I'm used to riding the CX in bad conditions whereas I haven't done long rides on the MTB yet so I'm not sure of fit/saddle comfort or even say, how to remove the front wheel! (I'm sure it's easy but yeah I just haven't had time with the bike yet and actually come to think of it I don't even own a spare 29er tube).

A few other minor reasons too (don't want to bother with changing categories; lighter/easier to portage; Moose Mitts option for the CX bike in wet weather; more tire choices; cheaper+older parts on CX bike). I'm probably going with 33m Clement PDX up front and a knobby 30mm Schwalbe CX rear (if I had a wider knobby rear tread I would use it, but I don't).

dasgeh
02-19-2015, 11:37 AM
We bought sealskinz gloves on sale recently (like these but orange (http://www.sealskinz.com/US/gloves/ultra-grip-hi-vis-gloves-yellow)). If anyone wants to try a pair out and review them in the muck, you're welcome to borrow. They are size small, and you'd have to pick up in Cherrydale. PM me

consularrider
02-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Some of the forecasts have the rain stopping around the time the ride is supposed to start. Now, will the road conditions allow us to get to and into the park that morning?

Dirt
02-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Race has been postponed to March 8.

-------------------------------------------------

Moster Cross 2015 update: Monster Cross moving to March 8th
It is with great turmoil, consideration and consultation that we have made this decision.

There are many reasons for this decision... most are obvious if you live anywhere on the east coast.

1. Currently the course is 100% not ride-able. We really thought we were going to be able to make the course ride-able, but with temps in the single digits all week (and most of us snowed in) we've had no luck.
2. Today high temps of 19 prevents any further trail prep.
3. More snow/ice expected to fall in Virginia tomorrow which potentially will make it more difficult for many of the racers to make it to town.

I understand that some of you will not like this news, but we worked out all possibilities and this really is the best/only decision that can be made.

The event has been moved to March 8, 2015.

We hope many of you are grateful for this news.

Regards and hope to see may of you in two weeks.

consularrider
02-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Yea?

glennpstevens
02-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Race has been postponed to March 8.

-------------------------------------------------

Moster Cross 2015 update: Monster Cross moving to March 8th
It is with great turmoil, consideration and consultation that we have made this decision.

Hopefully they'll keep registration open for the next couple of weeks so we can continue to work on talking our BAFS2015 team mates into doing the race.

Raymo853
02-20-2015, 10:56 AM
The postponement causes me anguish as it now the same weekend as the Stokesville Stade that I already signed up for. The Stade is a gravel grinder with 33 or 66 mile options run by Chris Scott's organization. I suggest BAFSers look to do that as well. 66 miles Saturday near H-Burg and then 50 miles near Richmond.

https://www.bikereg.com/stokesville-strade

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6771390

DaveK
02-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Sounds like a great weekend!

consularrider
02-20-2015, 02:57 PM
The postponement causes me anguish as it now the same weekend as the Stokesville Stade that I already signed up for. The Stade is a gravel grinder with 33 or 66 mile options run by Chris Scott's organization. I suggest BAFSers look to do that as well. 66 miles Saturday near H-Burg and then 50 miles near Richmond.

https://www.bikereg.com/stokesville-strade

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6771390

Only those of us who are totally nuts!

KayakCyndi
02-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Don't look now but Richmond is forecast to get somewhere between 2-5 inches of snow tonight and then rain Monday through Thursday. Looks like the mudfest may be unavoidable.

consularrider
02-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Capital Weather Gang has Richmond for as much as 10 inches of snow! Yikes. Add next weeks rain to the mix (and near 60F on Wednesday with the rain?) and we should have some good mud for Monster Cross. I'll need different tires for the Rove.

ctankcycles
03-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Capital Weather Gang has Richmond for as much as 10 inches of snow! Yikes. Add next weeks rain to the mix (and near 60F on Wednesday with the rain?) and we should have some good mud for Monster Cross. I'll need different tires for the Rove.

Good thing forecasts change! Right now they're calling for sunny skies with highs in the low 50s. Thoughts on tire selection anyone?

vvill
03-02-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm just running mud/knobby CX tires. If it's a complete fail I will just have to bail on finishing the race, but I'm hoping organizers will be able to hedge their bets on course design vs whatever the weather ends up bringing.

Raymo853
03-03-2015, 06:36 AM
Good thing forecasts change! Right now they're calling for sunny skies with highs in the low 50s. Thoughts on tire selection anyone?

Regardless of the conditions the day of, I suspect mud will still be a problem. Those soils are well drained, but cold temps and frozen soils really retard drainage.

I am feeling wimpy and may just do the Stokesville Strade Saturday and have my Monster registration refunded or transferred to 2016.

Raymo853
03-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Mumbles just sent out an email saying the Strade is delayed until March 21st, so I think I am back to doing the Monster. Mark send an email saying the course is looking good. I still expect it to be a mud bog.

consularrider
03-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Is any one going down to Richmond on Saturday or staying over Sunday after the race?

Raymo853
03-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Photo of how it looks today. A buddy checked it out today. It is as expected, damp, wet and moist. The park officials closed some of the single track to the race.

consularrider
03-09-2015, 01:27 AM
That was fun! Well, then again maybe not all of (like the wheel sucking mud bogs).

Raymo853
03-09-2015, 02:13 PM
The conditions were perfect for my preferences, too bad my health wasn't. Riding my CX bike in the slop is something I cherish, since outside of races I refrain from doing that.

I was feeling a little ill before the start. After about 12 miles of going reasonable hard, the illness really began to express itself. After that point, I putzed along not going hard enough to make myself breath hard at all. At the end of the first lap I dropped. Was very cool to be going along super slow and watch so many people pass me. That really is the best way to watch a bike race.

ian74
03-09-2015, 02:21 PM
The conditions were perfect for my preferences, too bad my health wasn't. Riding my CX bike in the slop is something I cherish, since outside of races I refrain from doing that.

I was feeling a little ill before the start. After about 12 miles of going reasonable hard, the illness really began to express itself. After that point, I putzed along not going hard enough to make myself breath hard at all. At the end of the first lap I dropped. Was very cool to be going along super slow and watch so many people pass me. That really is the best way to watch a bike race.

Sorry you aren't feeling well. My suggestion for you is to get lots and lots of rest. Stay off the bike for 3-5 days and drink lots of fluids. We look forward to your speedy recovery and good health!

ian74
03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
I would like to see some pictures from the event, it sounds like it was a fun thing to do. Too bad I don't 1. Race, 2. Cyclocross.

KayakCyndi
03-09-2015, 02:47 PM
I would like to see some pictures from the event, it sounds like it was a fun thing to do. Too bad I don't 1. Race, 2. Cyclocross.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83144224@N07/sets/72157650784730027

I'm sure the course could, on occasion, be called fun. Yesterday was not one of those occasions in my opinion. Note the many, many Team Bikenetic Jerseys in these photos. Go team!

Raymo853
03-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Sorry you aren't feeling well. My suggestion for you is to get lots and lots of rest. Stay off the bike for 3-5 days and drink lots of fluids. We look forward to your speedy recovery and good health!

Stayed home from work today. Watching Star Trek reruns and eating a lot of soup.

Found a photos of me in putz mode. Man can I ever get my helmet on straight.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83144224@N07/16757382935/in/album-72157650784730027/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83144224@N07/16569812198/in/album-72157650784730027/

Tim Kelley
03-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Stayed home from work today. Watching Star Trek reruns and eating a lot of soup.

Found a photos of me in putz mode. Man can I ever get my helmet on straight.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83144224@N07/16757382935/in/album-72157650784730027/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83144224@N07/16569812198/in/album-72157650784730027/

We had fun blowing by people on the tandem:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83144224@N07/16731453446/in/set-72157650784730027
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83144224@N07/16756153211/in/set-72157650784730027

vvill
03-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Couple of shots here, first is from a rest stop where they ran out of water/etc. Second is from the road section (actually quite long - about 12 mins of riding).

http://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/11055577_896254427105245_1582117255_n.jpg
http://scontent-lga.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/11008295_1555508371397191_1496378387_n.jpg

I didn't have my phone out for the trickiest sections though. There were many stretches of mud which was cool (up to a point) because it reminded me of the mud sections you see in the Euro CX races. Also a few fun gravelly descents and creek crossings which I feel like I got better at through the race. Most of the rest of it was like a wetter, hillier version of the C&O - actually it was a lot hillier than I expected. I'm sure an on-bike video of the race will emerge at some point.

Jason B
03-09-2015, 08:05 PM
A good fun race and a beautiful day to boot. Couldn't ask for better conditions, although I over dresses. Felt like a cheap stripper as I slowly peeled off clothes throughout the race. You and me Will, it was hillier than I expected. I would have had a lot less wine the night before if I knew I was climbing some. But overall a great time. Butler, 'rule#10' had a good race, wish he didn't start so far back.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/83144224@N07/16569977830/in/set-72157650784730027/

vvill
03-10-2015, 10:04 AM
A good fun race and a beautiful day to boot. Couldn't ask for better conditions, although I over dresses. Felt like a cheap stripper as I slowly peeled off clothes throughout the race. You and me Will, it was hillier than I expected. I would have had a lot less wine the night before if I knew I was climbing some. But overall a great time. Butler, 'rule#10' had a good race, wish he didn't start so far back.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/83144224@N07/16569977830/in/set-72157650784730027/

Did we ride near each other for a time in the first lap?
I overdressed too - I ended up stopping back in the parking lot to delayer in my second lap.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/83144224@N07/16571255169/in/set-72157650784730027/

DaveK
03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
There appears to be no evidence I was ever there. Camera still has trouble capturing my lack of a soul.

dcv
03-10-2015, 11:49 AM
I overdressed too - I ended up stopping back in the parking lot to delayer in my second lap.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/83144224@N07/16571255169/in/set-72157650784730027/

You forgot to zip up your jersey crossing the finish line.

vvill
03-10-2015, 03:22 PM
You forgot to zip up your jersey crossing the finish line.

Haha, well, that was the first lap. I went back to the bus to discard that baselayer (merino wool - Endura) and my Buff not too long after that. Should've done gloves too, they spent the rest of the ride in my back pocket.

There appears to be no evidence I was ever there. Camera still has trouble capturing my lack of a soul.

I think it's because you were riding close to dcv... stealth mode.

I just spent 5 mins watching my flybys on Strava at slowest possible speed. I think I passed Raymo on the road section (and then of course got passed by everyone who wasn't already ahead of me on the second lap).

Jason B
03-10-2015, 06:33 PM

Yea, that was me. That race may become a regular event. Awful lot of fun, and was good to stretch the legs off the trainer.
You guys doing Mountains of Misery? Butler, rule#10, and I are signed up.

vvill
03-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Yea, that was me. That race may become a regular event. Awful lot of fun, and was good to stretch the legs off the trainer.
You guys doing Mountains of Misery? Butler, rule#10, and I are signed up.

You were holding a good pace! That race was a reminder to me that I can't just ride casual 5-20 mile rides through the winter, eat and drink too much, and expect to pull out 50 miles off-road at a reasonable pace. Lack of experience in an event like that was a factor too, but I think fitness and pacing were the main things. I can see why people go back to that event - there isn't really anything like that between the end of cross season and the start of spring/summer racing.

Yes, dcv and I are, as well as another Bikenetic guy. Just for the 100 miler (which at this point actually sounds a little beyond me...)