PDA

View Full Version : Side Bet; Longest CaBi Ride

Rod Smith
02-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Finish your CaBi ride within 30 minutes and post a link to the Strava entry for the ride in this thread. A pair of CaBi socks goes to the winner!

jwetzel
02-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Trouble. I often top off my CaBi rides and don't reset the strava run, but here is my entry at 5.6 miles. https://www.strava.com/activities/238740933

Rod Smith
02-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Nice! I know CaBi riders tend to trade-in more frequently than every thirty minutes to avoid added charges and I completely understand not wanting to break your ride into separate shorter rides but to win this challenge it's a good idea to get as close to the thirty minute limit as possible and necessary to reset Strava when taking the bike out of the dock and redocking.

Mikey
02-07-2015, 09:51 PM
For posterity sake take the name FSSB #5.

Rod Smith
02-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Can I do that? After I titled the thread I realized 'side bet' is sort of your thing. This one is just another pointless prize. :)

Steve O
02-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Can I do that? After I titled the thread I realized 'side bet' is sort of your thing. This one is just another pointless prize. :)

I have added it to the list of Pointless Prizes. Contenders may continue to post their strava links here, though.

Mikey
02-07-2015, 11:12 PM
It's yours. You can present the prize when I'm presenting the various winners. This is definately in the spirit of a side bet So good work. Just be ready to announce a winner, I probably won't have visibility into who has actually Won. You may want to post rules to make it easier for you to decide a winner on the original post.

jwetzel
02-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Hope I didn't set the bar too high and kill this one from the outset.

Steve O
02-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Hope I didn't set the bar too high and kill this one from the outset.

Nope

americancyclo
02-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Is it the farthest you can go on a CaBi in a 30 minute window, or is it the farthest you can go in the first 30 min of the CaBi rental before re-docking? I only ask b/c I think it's the latter, but if it were interpreted as the former, I could rent a Cabi, get up to speed at HP and start the recording when I have a decent rolling speed going, then hammer for 30 min and not worry about getting back to a dock until after the 30 min period has expired.

Rod Smith
02-11-2015, 07:35 PM
If your CaBi ride exceeds 30 minutes, you lose.

DismalScientist
02-11-2015, 08:25 PM
How can you tell after proper cropping?

Steve O
02-11-2015, 09:50 PM

Simple: for verification, winner has to show the ride from his/her account page, and it has to match Strava exactly: locations of start and end stations as well as time checked out.

Brn Moore
02-21-2015, 10:52 PM
CaBi yearly membership (finally!) purchased. One more LSAT practice question problem set submitted, and I'll have enough to (finally!) get my race license. I think there's going to be only one proper way to combine these two things.

Rod Smith
02-22-2015, 12:43 AM

Easy to cheat. Please don't. :)

rcannon100
02-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Easy to cheat. Please don't. :)

It's easy to cheat on almost everything in Freezing Saddles. Why does this topic keep coming up?? What Rod said. Respect the people who are volunteering and putting energy in the game and DONT CHEAT. Is the honor system not good enough?

Brn Moore
03-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Okay, so here's the deal: I'm going to have to throw myself on the mercy of the court and offer bribes/accept penalties for this one.

Today, I did the time trial. I've been planning this for WEEKS. Waiting for a warm day (lower air resistance). Scouting CaBi stations along the route. Trying to figure out how far I could go and overplanning everything.

Turns out I was faster than I thought, saw I had three minutes left, and went for a half mile kicker. Went over my time limit by twelve seconds.

12 measly seconds. I think it took me longer than that to take the bike out of the dock and put it back.

So here's the question: do I have to redo the time trial, or can I just take a half (quarter?) mile penalty and look dumb instead?

Rod Smith
03-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Do it over. Two laps around Hains Point will take it at this point.

Brn Moore
03-19-2015, 09:26 PM
So I got a little antsy and, rather than completing my final lap of John McCormac Road, I finished my Longest Half Hour (https://www.strava.com/activities/269260589) five minutes early...but still complied with the UCI (UCDC?) regs regarding record attempts. Seven miles in 24:40 from dock to dock, averaging 17.1 MPH thanks to Brn's Badass Basket/Bar Brace.

TwoWheelsDC
03-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Not the longest, but maybe closest to the limit...

Virginia Square Metro / N Monroe St & 9th St N
29 m 35 s
Distance 3.94 miles