PDA

View Full Version : The Effects of BAFS on the Brain

bobco85
02-01-2015, 11:27 PM
What are the effects on your brain that BAFS is having? Here's a few of mine (this is my first BAFS):

biking almost as many miles in January 2015 as the previous 3 January's combined
the weather forecast seems to only influence my choice of clothing instead of my choice of "should I ride today?"
feeling dirty inside to do a sleaze ride instead of a more respectable distance
1. Type freezingsaddles.com into browser 2. Click on Team Leaderboard - Text 3. Refresh 4. Refresh 5. Refresh 6. "Wait, did the rankings just change?" 7-15. Refresh
can't bring out phone without accidentally opening the Strava app out of habit

Anybody else experiencing these symptoms and more?

creadinger
02-02-2015, 07:04 AM
feeling dirty inside to do a sleaze ride instead of a more respectable distance

I think you could change this to doing a sleaze ride period because who would ever go out and ride 1-2 miles, 5-10 minutes, for absolutely no reason unless it's to get the 10 daily bonus points. If you're not running an errand, there's no point(s).

Sunyata
02-02-2015, 07:20 AM
39F and raining... It feels like Spring.

Yesterday, after taking my dogs for a hike with some friends, I got out of my nice warm, dry car, grabbed the bike and went to the grocery store in the sleety rain. All to get my daily points.

Steve O
02-02-2015, 12:45 PM
What are the effects on your brain that BAFS is having? Here's a few of mine (this is my first BAFS):

biking almost as many miles in January 2015 as the previous 3 January's combined

I rode 481 miles in January, which is about 100 more than usual--so not triple like bobco.

481 is a lot of miles for the middle of winter, but . . .

I'M NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 30!!!

You are all crazy.

jrenaut
02-02-2015, 12:49 PM
And getting worse - I've ridden about the same days and miles as last year, but last year I was hovering around 40th while this year I'm currently at 60th.

americancyclo
02-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Somehow I rode two hours less and 18 miles more last January. Musta been faster?

Phatboing
02-02-2015, 01:35 PM
And getting worse - I've ridden about the same days and miles as last year, but last year I was hovering around 40th while this year I'm currently at 60th.

I've ridden every single day so far, and significantly more miles than last year, and I'm stuck at the 35-37 mark that I was stuck at last year, too.

americancyclo
02-02-2015, 01:40 PM
just happy to be in the top 50%, but i think i was in the top 25% last year.

dkel
02-02-2015, 01:42 PM
I've ridden every single day so far, and significantly more miles than last year, and I'm stuck at the 35-37 mark that I was stuck at last year, too.

I think we took on a lot of ringers this year. I've been absolutely busting it just to stay in the top 20, and my position there is tenuous. It wouldn't be like this if the competition hadn't gotten stiffer this year.

ian74
02-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Freezing saddles makes me want to be a better man...

I'm with you guys. I'm obsessively checking the leaderboards, refresh, refresh. As far as convincing me to go out and ride more, I'm a success story. This January I rode more miles in a single month than I have EVER. My weekly mileage for the last 3 weeks has been double my normal miles/week. I'm over 600 miles so far, and there's still a month to go. Last years total mileage (since I didn't start riding until March/April) was 2500. By the end of FS, I expect to have more than a thousand!

It has truly inspired me. I'm a newbie here and this is my first year of FS, but my team, though we're bringing up the rear is full of great people, and some of the others I've met are just awesome.

As far as I'm concerned BAFS on the brain is a good thing. Thank you BA forum for everything!

Mikey
02-02-2015, 01:47 PM
I look forward to riding in the winter each year because I love BAFS. I get a little sad in the end of March when BAFS is over. But then spring comes and it is just so nice to be outside riding, I get over it quickly.

Tim Kelley
02-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Stockholm syndrome.

Raymo853
02-02-2015, 02:25 PM
I'll be honest, it is making me waste too much time looking at Strava and the leader boards. The whole thing is having a slight negative effect on me, making riding in the winter less fun. Worrying about making sure the app is running and that I am covering enough miles has become silly instead of just riding.

I had a bit of a Strava problem before BAFS and this is more proof it will be wise for me stop using Strava all the time after 11:59 PM on March 19th. No longer will I be worried about my favorite segment (https://www.strava.com/segments/8165653)s in town, run the app while commuting, for every ride and so on. It is also convenient my Strava paid account ends March 15th.

Don't think I am not still wanting to get points. I plan to take March 19th off and try to get a solo 150 mile ride in that will end with one Hains Point lap. (My only one during BAFS 2015)

Steve O
02-02-2015, 02:26 PM
and there's still a month to go.

Actually 45 days. But who's counting?

It has truly inspired me. I'm a newbie here and this is my first year of FS, but my team... is full of great people, and some of the others I've met are just awesome.
Thank you BA forum for everything!

+1!!!
Winning a pointless prize might feel good for a little while, but making new friends, having fun and building our community is the true success of FS. Thanks for joining in, Ian.

Tim Kelley
02-02-2015, 02:31 PM
I had a bit of a Strava problem before BAFS, regardless, it is further evidence it is wise for me stop using Strava for most rides after 11:59 PM on March 20th. No longer will I be worried about my favorite segment (https://www.strava.com/segments/8165653)s in town, run the app on my phone while commuting, etc and get back to riding for riding sakes. It is also convenient my Strava paid account ends March 15th.

But who will be left to flag every single segment on their ride then?

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6393-Strava-segments-on-multi-use-paths&p=72845#post72845

dplasters
02-02-2015, 02:46 PM

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6393-Strava-segments-on-multi-use-paths&p=72845#post72845

I like this Tim Kelley guy.

Steve O
02-02-2015, 02:48 PM
11:59 PM on March 20th.
(sic)

Correction: Freezing Saddles ends at 11:59:59 on March 19th. True badasses will toast the end at Hains Point. Details to follow.

(Spring begins at 6:45 PM EDT on March 20, so the last full day of winter, which is our traditional endpoint, is March 19.)

(Looking ahead to 2020, the vernal equinox will actually occur at 11:50PM on March 19, so there may be a 5-10 page Forum discussion to determine the proper endpoint for BAFS2020, particularly if there is still a Team 5. Stay tuned.)

Tim Kelley
02-02-2015, 02:54 PM
I like this Tim Kelley guy.

lulz...hit the wrong button. :p

Raymo853
02-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Let me be blunt. I was right on that issue. The folks that race and hammer on the bike paths are simply a threat to other trail users and a threat to the cycling community in general. If you cannot see that, you are simply self centered without any concern for the cycling community. And as I stated back then, I have stopped flagging segments on the paths, even those segments some jackball from this forum called things like "Raymo853 is an asshole who needs punched."

ShawnoftheDread
02-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Yeah, what has that jerk Tim Kelley ever done for our cycling community anyway? And he's too damn tall and good looking, to boot. Jerk.

The thing is, you're making a false assumption that the existence of the segment is creating the dangerous riding, an assumption lacking strong evidence. But we've been over this ad nauseum.

peterw_diy
02-02-2015, 05:06 PM
if you cannot see that, you are simply self centered without any concern for the trail-using communities

ftfy

Mikey
02-02-2015, 05:39 PM
. . .ad nauseum.
Finally a great name for team 5.

Vicegrip
02-02-2015, 05:49 PM
the weather forecast seems to only influence my choice of clothing instead of my choice of "should I ride today?"
Spot on.
/thread.

peterw_diy
02-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Mar 20 - Dec 31: bike for everyday errands.

Jan 1-Mar 19: bike for errands every day.

dplasters
02-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Mar 20 - Dec 31: bike for everyday errands.

Jan 1-Mar 19: bike for errands every day.

There is something slightly tragic that we are so easily able to claim greatness simply by cycling through the winter here. As usual the Dutch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpMHnTT0Wg) put us in our place. Mind you it hadn't snowed there in two years.

I think the true hope is that one day, BAFS won't exist. It will simply be normal behavior. Also cycling infrastructure.

Raymo853
02-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Yeah, what has that jerk Tim Kelley ever done for our cycling community anyway? And he's too damn tall and good looking, to boot. Jerk.

The thing is, you're making a false assumption that the existence of the segment is creating the dangerous riding, an assumption lacking strong evidence. But we've been over this ad nauseum.

Yea which is why I let it lie until Tim Kelley brought it up again today.

Phatboing
02-03-2015, 07:38 AM
There is something slightly tragic that we are so easily able to claim greatness simply by cycling through the winter here. As usual the Dutch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpMHnTT0Wg) put us in our place. Mind you it hadn't snowed there in two years.

I think the true hope is that one day, BAFS won't exist. It will simply be normal behavior. Also cycling infrastructure.
Them riders have some serious handling skills. I can't claim this even on my snow mtb. That is the real tragedy.

lordofthemark
02-03-2015, 07:55 AM

Anybody else experiencing these symptoms and more?

In my case, as many miles in January 2015, as in all my previous 54 Januaries combined, I am pretty sure. I would have biked more in January than in the past anyway, but almost certainly not that much. This has been great for me, commutes, half commutes, sleaze rides and all. Though it has certainly gotten me some odd looks (like last night when a neighbor was surprised to see me taking my bike out for an evening spin.) And yes, I have become a compulsive leaderboard and Strava checker.

lordofthemark
02-03-2015, 07:58 AM

OTOH I have certainly begun to notice all the other winter riders, and there are a LOT more than 138 folks riding in the winter in the metro area.

dplasters
02-03-2015, 08:41 AM
OTOH I have certainly begun to notice all the other winter riders, and there are a LOT more than 138 folks riding in the winter in the metro area.

I Agree. I was in the city (us suburban folk who get to work in the suburbs as well avoid it normally) for the car show and while walking around noticed there were many cyclists still out. It was good to see the infrastructure getting use. Seeing people biking makes it socially acceptable and seeing that you don't die when you ride a bike when its below 45 shows its possible to do it throughout the year here. Out in the wilderness of Fairfax/Vienna I will occasionally see a soul or two near the Vienna metro but the fair-weather Freds have deserted me on Lee Highway/Mosaic District. I hope that my existence encourages others. When better weather hits the pedestrian/cycling traffic around the area can actually be decent. Without the protected lanes and even just some fancy paint the numbers seem to drop out here hard. If it isn't on the W&O, it can be kinda dicey. I hope to make it to the VDOT forum tonight on the upgrading of 66 though I think I read here that they have no intention of honoring the FX County bike/trail plan.

Alcova cyclist
02-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Loving BAFS so far, though it does bring out the absurdly obsessive/competitive streak in me. Thanks to Hans' data crack, I have all kinds of things to obsess over ("hmmm, I really need to work on my pre-dawn riding!")

I'll echo the weather = "what I wear" not "whether I will ride" sentiment. My original personal goal for BAFS was 500 miles, which I thought would be a stretch. I'm now shooting for 750.

BAFS has also totally changed my idea of what "bad" conditions are. For example, this morning's low-20's commute was perfectly wonderful and I am starting to think commuting in January is actually better than commuting in July. (Though with notable exceptions: last night's cocktail of 30mph crosswinds w/ 40mph gusts on the 14th ST bridge was both miserable and terrifying)

Thanks to those who've done so much work behind the scenes to make this happen and Go Team-who-must-not-be-named!!!

dasgeh
02-03-2015, 09:09 AM
I Agree. I was in the city (us suburban folk who get to work in the suburbs as well avoid it normally) for the car show and while walking around noticed there were many cyclists still out. It was good to see the infrastructure getting use. Seeing people biking makes it socially acceptable and seeing that you don't die when you ride a bike when its below 45 shows its possible to do it throughout the year here. Out in the wilderness of Fairfax/Vienna I will occasionally see a soul or two near the Vienna metro but the fair-weather Freds have deserted me on Lee Highway/Mosaic District. I hope that my existence encourages others. When better weather hits the pedestrian/cycling traffic around the area can actually be decent. Without the protected lanes and even just some fancy paint the numbers seem to drop out here hard. If it isn't on the W&O, it can be kinda dicey. I hope to make it to the VDOT forum tonight on the upgrading of 66 though I think I read here that they have no intention of honoring the FX County bike/trail plan.

I think distances and how annoying it is to park a car play a big role in what you see: when people are traveling < 2 miles, it's a no brainer to bike if that's logistically possible. CaBi usually makes that logistically possible. Even if you're a little underdressed, you're on the bike for such a short time, you can deal. Especially if parking is a hassle, biking looks like a much better alternative, especially compared to a long walk. When you start biking more than 2 miles or so, you need to think about what you're wearing a bit more.

In DC, a lot of trips are shorter. Even in Arlington, lots are smaller, population is denser, retail is sprinkled throughout, trips are shorter, parking is tough in spots. Once you start getting to hilly North Arlington (where the retail is not really sprinkled throughout), McLean or Fairfax, trips are just longer. It's more of an uphill climb to get people to bike, especially in "adverse" conditions.

scorchedearth
02-03-2015, 09:47 AM
I, like many others here, spend way too much time on Strava and the leaderboards checking progress.

So far this year, I've ridden every single day. That is what BAFS has done to my brain.

Vicegrip
02-03-2015, 11:38 AM
99.999% of computer games you sit on yer ever so slowly enlarging butt and play game while the rest of the world goes on. On the other hand BAFS is an online game that gets people off their butts and out in the real world riding a bike. The rest is simple human nature.

BMXer
11-05-2015, 10:32 AM
99.999% of computer games you sit on yer ever so slowly enlarging butt and play game while the rest of the world goes on. On the other hand BAFS is an online game that gets people off their butts and out in the real world riding a bike. The rest is simple human nature.

But it always good to play online games when you have free time and having nothing else to do, but should not be exaggerated with that of course..

Bike Games (http://www.bmxgames247.com/bike-games)