PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Saddles scoreboard software updates

hozn
01-22-2015, 07:44 AM
I'm starting a new thread to collect future updates on the scoreboard (as opposed to my previous practice of starting a new thread for each update).

I fixed the issue with team/indiv various leaderboards not displaying. In doing so, I noticed that some of our leaderboards are heavily skewed due to invalid data. In particular, the "Time in the Saddle" (i.e. summed "moving time").

I've commented on some of these rides so hopefully the riders can clean them up. I'm tempted to just exclude manual entry rides from any of the leaderboards (other than points). If I had my druthers, I'd exclude them completely, just as Strava does for their challenges, but I realize that would be viewed as unfair. (And, of course, I didn't write the rules; the intent of the scoreboard app is to conform as best as technically possible to whatever the established rules are.)

Unfortunately, the problems extend to rides that have a GPX track too -- I commented on these too -- so excluding manual entries won't take away the need for some oversight of erronious data in the scoreboards. Of course, this oversight requirement problem grows linearly with the number of contestants. If the size of the competition changes dramatically in future years, I'll need to invest in better tools to help manage the noise. I'm comforted by the fact that we're at least capped by the number of riders crazy enough to ride in winter conditions. But I realize FS participants are still a small fraction of those actually commuting these days.

consularrider
01-22-2015, 08:32 AM
And we all appreciate your stellar work!

vern
01-22-2015, 11:25 AM
I had a ride described in another thread below where my phone locked up leading to Strava recording a 27+ hour ride rather than a 95 minute ride. That obviously distorts some of the stats as noted above. Therefore, I will delete that ride and manually enter it so that the team gets the points for the ride and miles, and that will eliminate distortions in the data as they relate to time in saddle, nighttime hours, etc.

**Work PC won't let me delete the bad entry in Strava so I'll have to do that tonight, at which time I'll manually enter the miles/time for that ride.

hozn
01-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I noticed that one in there; I guess I commented on your Strava activity. Thanks for clearing it up. I realize this is an annoyance, but since some of the pointless prizes may be affected, want to make sure the data is relatively sane.

peterw_diy
01-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Yes, thanks for all your work!

For me, the manual entry rides might be the most accurate. Sometimes I forget to stop the app when entering a store and end up mapping the aisles. :-/ Usually I catch myself, break the ride in two & trim the bad data. But that doesn't happen with my manually entered data.

americancyclo
01-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Therefore, I will delete that ride and manually enter it so that the team gets the points for the ride and miles, and that will eliminate distortions in the data as they relate to time in saddle, nighttime hours, etc.

**Work PC won't let me delete the bad entry in Strava so I'll have to do that tonight, at which time I'll manually enter the miles/time for that ride.

You can just crop the extra portion of the ride, no need to delete and add manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lZQa0ZYS4o&x-yt-cl=84359240&x-yt-ts=1421782837#t=77

vern
01-22-2015, 01:46 PM
You can just crop the extra portion of the ride, no need to delete and add manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lZQa0ZYS4o&x-yt-cl=84359240&x-yt-ts=1421782837#t=77

oh well, I didn't see this first. I just deleted the ride using my phone and made a manual entry. Thanks for the info.

Steve O
01-22-2015, 04:30 PM
break the ride in two. . .. .

How do you do that? I know how to crop the beginnings and ends of rides, but I cannot figure out how to break a ride into two separate rides. When I've had to do that I end up cropping one and making the other a manual entry.

peterw_diy
01-22-2015, 04:44 PM
How do you do that?

Nothing fancy. :-( If I notice in the building, I'll finish + upload what I have & trim when I get home, and make a separate ride/recording for the ride home. Sorry, I see now my "break" language was unclear. I wish it were possible to trim the middle of recordings.

vvill
01-22-2015, 05:56 PM
There are ways of splitting a .fit/.gpx etc. This site will automatically split a .fit file with >4 hrs gap.
http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ has some tools too. I'm sure I've used one of them before, but I forget what exactly...

jwetzel
01-22-2015, 08:19 PM
My ride home had an issue today, it seemed to stop recording actual data (time included) about Euclid and 14th, but gave me the full distance and that bumped my speed average up it seems. Probably closer to what my actually moving speed average is as I'm a vehicular cyclist, but \_(ツ)_/. Hope it doesn't break any pointless prizes. https://www.strava.com/activities/244763776

Rod Smith
01-27-2015, 06:11 PM
I've done a pretty good job of dodging raindrops on the weekends but I've worked in the rain and snow. So I'm curious why I can't find myself on the leaderboards for snowiest and rainiest rides.

hozn
01-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I don't know. Ian may have some comment, as he created those. I don't know how his scoring works. Also we take shortcuts that may do you a disservice -- e.g. we only look at weather for the start location (over the duration of the ride). Obviously this is going to misrepresent, but for most people it is probably "close enough". Most people don't ride all day. Not sure what else may be a factor here; I can take a look at the weather data when I have a fee minutes to dive into this.

Rod Smith
01-28-2015, 07:34 AM
Ah. I shouldn't have asked. Or I should have figured it was a anomaly from the fact that I upload as a single ride what really is many short rides. I'm inside buildings almost half of the time. I'm not exposed to significant amounts of rainfall or snowfall on any one of my short rides so I would be low on the list anyway. Don't worry about fixing.

americancyclo
02-03-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm getting

Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

when trying to view the "Team (Various)" Leaderboard. A known bug, or am I breaking things on my end?
also, please let me know if this is an appropriate place to report challenges with using the internet in general.

Thanks Hozn for such stellar work!

hozn
02-03-2015, 07:10 AM
I'm getting

when trying to view the "Team (Various)" Leaderboard. A known bug, or am I breaking things on my end?
also, please let me know if this is an appropriate place to report challenges with using the internet in general.

Thanks Hozn for such stellar work!

Hrmmm, definitely a bug. I shall investigate!

*Update*: Ok, finally fixed. Took a little longer, since I discovered my domain I use for management account had just expired this weekend.

TwoWheelsDC
02-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Just noticed the BAFS website got a nomination in the 2015 WABA Bicyclists Choice awards for "Best Use of Biking Data." Nice work Hans and all the others who helped pull that together!

rcannon100
02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Excellent! For that, I will vote.

http://mydogfinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ivoted.jpg

DismalScientist
02-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Where's the ASPCA when we need them?

hozn
02-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Cool - I had no idea. Thanks, whoever nominated it!

GB
02-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Just noticed the BAFS website got a nomination in the 2015 WABA Bicyclists Choice awards for "Best Use of Biking Data." Nice work Hans and all the others who helped pull that together!

Link:

http://www.waba.org/events/washington-area-bicyclists-choice-awards/

Subby
02-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Please take time to vote for the Freezing Saddles website!

Steve O
02-16-2015, 07:15 PM
There's some sort of odd step function going on with the coldest ride data. I have a hard time believing 9 people rode at 14.00 degrees and then 22 people all rode at 15.10 degrees with no one in between. Odd.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7841&stc=1

vvill
02-16-2015, 07:30 PM
There's some sort of odd step function going on with the coldest ride data. I have a hard time believing 9 people rode at 14.00 degrees and then 22 people all rode at 15.10 degrees with no one in between. Odd.

It's probably just the granularity of temperature that's available in the weather data being pulled.

Steve O
02-16-2015, 07:34 PM
It's probably just the granularity of temperature that's available in the weather data being pulled.

It didn't use to do this, though. It just started in the last week or so.

hozn
02-16-2015, 07:34 PM
I suspect that is the case; we use start location. Maybe there are insufficient observations to get things more granular. There could be a bug, of course, though I haven't seen anything in reviewing that.

hozn
02-16-2015, 07:35 PM
It didn't use to do this, though. It just started in the last week or so.
Hmm, ok. I will look into this more deeply, in that case.

jrenaut
02-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Hmm, ok. I will look into this more deeply, in that case.

While you're at it, disqualify people who did their rides in Canada so I can have the Coldest Ride. I mean, Canada's not even a real place, is it?

hozn
02-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Oh, I was hoping you were volunteering to look into this :-)

Yeah, I think Canada is the same as the Zwift island. Just an oversight that #nobafs was omitted from those rides, I am sure.

dkel
02-16-2015, 07:48 PM
As long as we're all complaining about the weather reporting (;)) when do the stats get updated? My ride today was much colder than my currently reported coldest ride.

Much, much colder.

Soooo cooold!

jrenaut
02-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Oh, I was hoping you were volunteering to look into this :-)
I know, I've been a horrible slacker on the programming front this year. In my defense, I feel terrible about it. I hope to redeem myself by making pages for some pointless prizes as people figure out what they want to give pointless prized for.

hozn
02-16-2015, 08:05 PM
It's ok; I have been otherwise too busy too.

@dkel, the weather is done late at night / early am. Hopefully things look right in the world tomorrow.

dkel
02-16-2015, 08:48 PM
@dkel, the weather is done late at night / early am. Hopefully things look right in the world tomorrow.

Looking at the forecast, I don't think things will look great tomorrow. (But I know that's not what you were referring to! Thanks for the info.)

dkel
02-16-2015, 09:17 PM
I told my younger son at bedtime tonight that he might not always love practicing the piano, but persevering would help him get better at playing and it also builds character. He says to me (I'm totally not making this up), "is there a Freezing Saddles leaderboard for most character?"

hozn
02-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Hmmm ... If we could quantify that, we could totally make one!

Steve O
02-17-2015, 08:59 AM
While you're at it, disqualify people who did their rides in Canada so I can have the Coldest Ride. I mean, Canada's not even a real place, is it?

Well, what kind of a place is "kalamazoo?" Sounds like an imaginary place in a children's story to me.

Biddle-lee-boo
Fiddle-dee-dee
Kalamazoo
Sit on my knee

jrenaut
02-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Kalamazoo is the magical place where Bell's Beer was born.

Geoff
02-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Well, what kind of a place is "kalamazoo?" Sounds like an imaginary place in a children's story to me.

Given that I am not taking part in Freezing Saddles, perhaps I lack standing to post in this thread; but as a native Michigander I feel compelled to issue a stern "Harumpff."

jrenaut
02-17-2015, 09:50 AM
One never lacks standing to issue a stern "Harumpff" when appropriate.

jwetzel
02-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Booo.

eminva
02-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Can someone remind me where the temperatures used on the scoreboard draw from? I noticed it logged 8.10 degrees F for my ride that began in Vienna, VA on Friday, February 20 at 7:49 a.m. I took an Instagram photo of the thermostat at home, which didn't sync with the ride, and it was 1 degree F. I can see a variation of two or three degrees, but seven degrees? And I think all who rode that morning would agree it was no balmy eight degrees in central Fairfax county.

I notice it is the same for some others out that morning, although many notched temperatures well below that. Is there any reason why?

Liz

hozn
02-24-2015, 12:17 PM
wunderground.com

If you find a discrepancy in their data vs ours, let me know.

Here is the specific observation that was being used for the start (07:49) of your ride in "Vienna, VA" (the location of your ride, according to Strava -- we take shortcuts and use the city when possible due to limitations in wunderground api usage allowances):

{
"conds": "Clear",
"date": {
"hour": "07",
"mday": "20",
"min": "52",
"mon": "02",
"pretty": "7:52 AM EST on February 20, 2015",
"tzname": "America/New_York",
"year": "2015"
},
"dewpti": "-11.9",
"dewptm": "-24.4",
"fog": "0",
"hail": "0",
"heatindexi": "-9999",
"heatindexm": "-9999",
"hum": "40",
"icon": "clear",
"metar": "METAR KDCA 201252Z 31008KT 10SM CLR M13/M24 A3042 RMK AO2 SLP302 T11331244",
"precipi": "-9999.00",
"precipm": "-9999.00",
"pressurei": "30.43",
"pressurem": "1030.2",
"rain": "0",
"snow": "0",
"tempi": "8.1",
"tempm": "-13.3",
"thunder": "0",
"tornado": "0",
// <snip>

("tempi" is the temperature [in imperial units, aka Fahrenheit])

eminva
02-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Thank you -- I guess there are anolomolies here and there, but overall, the results are within reason.

Also, I think the interface is remarkable and I certainly have enjoyed watching the progress in miles below freezing, rides before/after sunset, etc. over the course of the competition. Kudos and thanks.

Liz

eminva
02-24-2015, 01:39 PM
I just looked at Wunderground and for Vienna, apparently they don't have any local weather stations so they use data from National Airport. Ha!

Liz

consularrider
02-24-2015, 01:58 PM
I just looked at Wunderground and for Vienna, apparently they don't have any local weather stations so they use data from National Airport. Ha!

Liz

The Wundermap shows several weather stations in the Vienna area. Check out station KVAVIENN15 in Vienna Woods. With this, I don't know why if would default to National Airport. It looks like most of us have a coldest ride from last Friday morning (2/20) with several at the 6.08F mark from multiple locations. I know that my closest weather stations (Westover KVAARLIN28) was reading about 2F that morning.

eminva
02-24-2015, 02:15 PM
The Wundermap shows several weather stations in the Vienna area. Check out station KVAVIENN15 in Vienna Woods. With this, I don't know why if would default to National Airport. It looks like most of us have a coldest ride from last Friday morning (2/20) with several at the 6.08F mark from multiple locations. I know that my closest weather stations (Westover KVAARLIN28) was reading about 2F that morning.

Yep, KVAVIENNA15 is about five blocks from my house, and appears to be reporting 2.8 degrees F for 7:49 a.m. last Friday.

But when you search under "Vienna, VA" in Wunderground -- which is what Hozn says the application does -- it defaults to KDCA.

Liz

Steve O
02-24-2015, 03:54 PM
wunderground.com

If you find a discrepancy in their data vs ours, let me know.

Here is the specific observation that was being used for the start (07:49) of your ride in "Vienna, VA" (the location of your ride, according to Strava -- we take shortcuts and use the city when possible due to limitations in wunderground api usage allowances):
{
"fog": "0",
"hail": "0",
"heatindexi": "-9999",
"heatindexm": "-9999",
"hum": "40",
"icon": "clear",
"metar": "METAR KDCA 201252Z 31008KT 10SM CLR M13/M24 A3042 RMK AO2 SLP302 T11331244",
"precipi": "-9999.00",
"precipm": "-9999.00",
"pressurei": "30.43",
"pressurem": "1030.2",
"rain": "0",
"snow": "0",
"tempi": "8.1",
"tempm": "-13.3",
"thunder": "0",
"tornado": "0",
// <snip>

This has to be right. I distinctly remember there was no tornado that morning.

Steve O
02-24-2015, 04:24 PM
I know that my closest weather station (Westover KVAARLIN28) was reading about 2F that morning.

And since I live about 300 yards from consular, I presume mine was about the same.

creadinger
02-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I was thinking there was something wrong with the data matching up rides with temps. As of yesterday, it still said that my coldest ride was in early January - 12 degrees, measured in King George, VA.

I did an AM sleaze ride last Friday when it was super cold and everyone was in single digits or below zero, and it still lists 12 degrees as my coldest ride.

hozn
02-25-2015, 11:06 AM
I guess the short answer is that the penalization does not selectively discriminate .... The better answer would be to always use lat/lon rather than town names. I am not sure the api limits will allow for that, but I will look into it.