PDA

View Full Version : FSSB #4 Beerneuring

sjclaeys
01-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Do you like to bike? Do you like beer? If so, this side bet is for you. The rules are simple:

1. Ride your bike to a brewery or brewpub. I estimate that there are about 40 breweries or brewpubs that can be reached by bike from DC, 10 of them are in DC.
2. Acquire a beer brewed at that location.
3. Take a picture of the beer.
4. Taste the beer.
5. Post on this thread the picture of the beer, the location, and a comment about the beer. It can be anything from "tastes like beer" to "the hop aroma contained kiwi fruit and mango that was matched by a good malt backbone, which added a hint of cracked granite".
6. Whomever posts entries from the most number of breweries or brewpubs by the end of Freezing Saddles wins!
7. The winner will receive a bottle of beer that reflects the nature of the competition. If only a few participate and the winner had 3 entries, then you will get a good bottle but nothing super special. If the competition is heated and the winner has 30 entries, then I will do my best to get something special.

A few further clarifications:

1. BE SAFE! No riding while under the influence. If you rode your bike to the brewery but find that you need to get a ride or take Metro home, the entry still counts.
2. You can go to more than one brewery on a ride, but see above.
3. The beer must be made at that location. Having a 3 Stars at the local bar does not count. Nothing at the Capital City in DC counts because it is all made in Shirlington.
4. Some brewpubs have more than one location. A trip to each location counts.
5. Keep in mind that this competition is to visit the most number of breweries and brewpubs. Once you visit and have a beer at a brewery or brewpub, then you cannot post another entry for that brewery or brewpub, even if you go back later and try a different beer.
6. It is not required, but try to go on at least one brewery tour. Fun, educational and you usually get to sample beer.

Let me know if you have any questions and HAVE FUN!

Brünø Moore
01-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Dangit, the Inquisition was at Franklin's on Tuesday.

We may have to drop by and convince them to name a beer "Heresy by Deed" for us.

Sunyata
01-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Now this is my kind of side bet! Do breweries outside of the DC Metro Area count?

sjclaeys
01-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Now this is my kind of side bet! Do breweries outside of the DC Metro Area count?

Good question and something that I thought would come up. Yes, breweries outside of the DC Metro area count.

sjclaeys
01-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Please note that I edited the rules to makes sure that there is no misunderstanding on how to compete. The point is to visit the most number of breweries or brewpubs by bike. Once you have visited one and made an entry, you cannot later go back, have another beer and make another entry. For example, if you go to Port City tomorrow, have a beer, and make an entry, that is it for Port City.

sjclaeys
01-17-2015, 02:13 PM
Since I am running the competition, I am not competing but I will put in entries. To kick things off, here is mine:

Port City Brewing Ways & Means - Nice body for a saison from the use of rye malt, which also adds some spiciness. Bright, citrus hop aroma and flavor but balanced. Very good beer plus not often do you get to drink a beer named after where you work.

dkel
01-17-2015, 06:01 PM
With Rockford at Port City

It's a little hard to see in the pic, but I'm having their Colossal Two smoked imperial porter. Much like a German rauchbier, it has a distinct, but mild smoke flavor. The smoke lends a slight astringency that balances well against the deep body and high alcohol of the imperial style. Ultimately, it's a very complex flavor profile, making for a serious beer. Highly recommended, perhaps in small quantities.

Boomer2U
01-17-2015, 07:22 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/17/449579b769c98331c8dd76d849e8791f.jpg
It tasted like beer.

kwarkentien
01-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Port City Brewing Pedal & Pint ride with msalemme, consularider, bikewoman, and me (plus a few non-BAFS15 folks). Mine was Optimal Wit. I don't think it optimized me or made me witty but it tasted pretty good, especially since I didn't pay for it.

Steve O
01-17-2015, 10:52 PM
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7557&stc=1
This was the Optimal Wit at Port City. It tasted optimally witty.
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7558&stc=1

Rockford10
01-18-2015, 12:15 PM
With Rockford at Port City

I had the Tidings Ale. It was a little spicey, but lovely.

So, hey, say if someone wanted to brew their own beer, would that count? I hear someone has some brewing equipment for sale.

dkel
01-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Rode to Mad Fox tonight. It's so close to my house, I rode in street clothes, which I almost never do!

Had a pint of their Mason's Dark Mild. It's almost the opposite of what I had yesterday at Port City, aside from being dark. This is very easy-drinking and low-alcohol. A bit of malty sweetness balanced with great roasted flavors and mild bitterness. Billed as a session beer, this one can go down glass after glass.

Toonces
01-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Port City Porter with BAFS - very tasty after a chilly ride! 7569

Toonces
01-19-2015, 12:51 PM
DKel and I seem to have the same drinking/photo problem.

dkel
01-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Another sideways pic (:mad:):

Winterbock from Gordon Biersch at Tysons (they put the bier in Biersch!). I'm more of an ale guy than a lager guy, but I'm always a dark beer guy, so I had to try this seasonal offering. It had much more malty sweetness than I was expecting, and I enjoyed that aspect paired with the quite clean lager finish. The roasted notes were very mild; I might have liked a little more of that, but all in all it was a nice pint, and very drinkable. It felt like a bit of a cop out going to the mall for this challenge, but they really do brew all of their beer on site.

Rockford10
01-19-2015, 09:00 PM
I'm really taking this one seriously.

Mad Fox St. Swithen's ESB. For a beer called "extra special bitter" it was really nice! I would get it again.

Rockford10
01-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Seriously, I'm taking this seriously.

Gordon Biersch Marzen. The "a" has two dots over it. The beer was really light and good. I would get it again.

Boomer2U
01-20-2015, 05:09 PM
With Colin and Edwin in Marshall VA after riding the MLK Resplendent Rappahannock Gran Fondo 100 km, which made the beer taste really good! http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/c981e23808df0cf2834661f94fab0781.jpg

sjclaeys
01-20-2015, 05:53 PM
With Colin and Edwin in Marshall VA after riding the MLK Resplendent Rappahannock Gran Fondo 100 km, which made the beer taste really good! http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/c981e23808df0cf2834661f94fab0781.jpg

Boomer, thanks for sharing the picture, but I am not sure that it qualifies as an entry for the side bet unless there is now a brewery in Marshall.

ShawnoftheDread
01-20-2015, 07:45 PM
^^ELITEe^^

Boomer2U
01-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Boomer, thanks for sharing the picture, but I am not sure that it qualifies as an entry for the side bet unless there is now a brewery in Marshall.
:-(, but at least my miles count:-)

dkel
01-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Seems my Beerneuring contributions are doomed to be forever sideways. Anyhoo, I had the imperial coffee stout at Cap City today, which they have dubbed "fuel." If you are thinking this is a coffee-flavored beer, you are mistaken. The coffee blends perfectly with the already complex and roasty flavor of the imperial stout, making for a very smooth ale—much smoother than I expected it would be. Still a very dark and thick brew, which may not be for everyone; it's right up my alley, though, and it was great near the end of a wet, cold, windy ride. The name "fuel," however, may be a misnomer: I don't know if the coffee used in the brewing process was caffeinated, but if so, it wasn't enough to overcome the 8.8% alcohol, and my ride home was quite a grind up out of Shirlington to Falls Church. I thought my legs were going to fall off. I guess that's #BAFS2015 for you...

KWL
01-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Looks like SOMEBODY is riding away with this competition. And who is in second right now? Is there a family award?

Boomer2U
01-25-2015, 06:14 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/25/4cd409467c8e2f6a46748b6e6c6949d3.jpg
Beernuering with VA Blonde (easy ale), Gilligan's Island Ginger (pale ale), Busted Pipe Black IPA (cascadian-style dark ale) and Lucky Flannagain (Irish red ale) at Tin Cannon Brewery, Gainesville VA, with the intrepid Steve O.

Steve O
01-26-2015, 12:55 AM
Tin Cannon brewery in Gainesville.

I had a flight. My fav was the porter, which had a nice, strong sweetness--kind of a dessert-y beer. The pizza we ate was also delicious.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7662&stc=1http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7663&stc=1

Rockford10
01-26-2015, 11:41 AM
I hit up Capital City Brewing Company in Shirlington on Saturday for their "SurviveAle Saison." It's a lighter style beer, brewed in connection with Port City and some other local breweries. It's their "Breast Cancer Awareness beer" with funds going toward breast cancer research. I liked it just fine, but think it's a little inappropriate to link drinking beer and cancer mitigation. A better pairing for the beer might be heart health. Just sayin'.

jrenaut
01-31-2015, 12:42 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/31/6bc2cfb7c36e6d172481bc021f0756ff.jpg

Thoroughbred Red from Hops Restaurant - Team 10 group lunch. The beer is decent. Company is good.

Boomer2U
02-05-2015, 08:13 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/05/1037788ee55aefc2e98d4451846b6b17.jpg

Test flight at Gordon Biersch in Washington DC, and I liked them all.

Steve O
02-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Mad Fox in Falls Church
Beer: Saison DuWha? (with the question mark)

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7785&stc=1
Easy drinking pilsner to go with my panini

Steve O
02-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Capitol City in Shirlington
Mauna Alani (not on the menu, but recommended by my server)
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7786&stc=1
Quite citrusy with a slight bitterness. I liked it and would order again.

dkel
02-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Mad Fox in Falls Church

A Saison is not a Pilsner! :mad:

Steve O
02-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Mad Fox in Falls Church

A Saison is not a Pilsner! :mad:

Maybe that's why there's a question mark. Here's what it says on their web site:

Saison DuWha? (7.96% ABV)
Our spin on the Belgian farmhouse classic. Saison DuWha? is Pilsner malt based with a touch of Crystal and Vienna for malt backbone. Spiced with toasted coriander seed, ginger root, lemon and orange peel to add a fruity aroma. Late boil additions of Spalt Hops, as well as a lower fermentation temperature to enhance the spicy, zesty and dry finish.

dkel
02-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Maybe that's why there's a question mark. Here's what it says on their web site:

Saison DuWha? (7.96% ABV)
Our spin on the Belgian farmhouse classic. Saison DuWha? is Pilsner malt based with a touch of Crystal and Vienna for malt backbone. Spiced with toasted coriander seed, ginger root, lemon and orange peel to add a fruity aroma. Late boil additions of Spalt Hops, as well as a lower fermentation temperature to enhance the spicy, zesty and dry finish.

Pilsner is a lager; Saison is an ale. Using the same malt as in Pilsner as a component of a Belgian ale wouldn't make it a Pilsner. That lower fermentation temperature would tip it towards lager, though. You're probably right about the question mark.

It's still not a Pilsner...

Brünø Moore
02-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Let it be known that the Unexpected Maryland Inquisition isn't going down without a fight. From the Desolation (http://instagram.com/p/y0NjKPvRnE/) (nice stout, not too much oak, very nice coffee flavor, keeps the flavor of the espresso, of course I'd like it, one and you're done) to the bent circles of Hell (http://instagram.com/p/y0V8CaPRmd/) (try the Ella DIPA, very floral, a good sipper...and their mascot's cool), there is no brewery beyond our reach.

Beermakers of the Washington Area: be warned. The Inquisition is coming, and we will not be denied.

Brünø Moore
02-07-2015, 11:36 PM
And, just because I'm a hopeless beer geek and can't just let this one go...

Pilsner malt is one of your standard issue base malts for brewing. It's a nice pale barley malt, has a good malty flavor, provides a nice backdrop and counterpoint to the wild yeast flavors of a saison. You can use it for most everything—I remember a Trappist quad I brewed in my college days with my then-girlfriend that used Pilsner as its base, despite being about as far from a nice Pils as you could get—but, for whatever reason, I associate it as much with Belgian styles as much as Pilsners. Something about the malt sweetness going with the yeast funk, I guess.

TL:DR—just because it's made with Pilsner malt doesn't mean it's a Pilsner.

Steve O
02-08-2015, 12:07 AM
Pilsner is a lager; Saison is an ale. Using the same malt as in Pilsner as a component of a Belgian ale wouldn't make it a Pilsner. That lower fermentation temperature would tip it towards lager, though. You're probably right about the question mark.

I humbly admit that I know nothing about beer. I do, however, enjoy happy hours that include it.

And other hours.

baiskeli
02-08-2015, 07:43 AM

Perhaps they meant to write "Saison DuWha? is Pilsner-malt-based ale"

dkel
02-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Chipotle Porter, brewed on site at Sweetwater Tavern. An English-style porter spiced with chipotle. I was a little concerned it would be spicy, not because I'm averse to spicy (quite the contrary), but because I'm somewhat the traditionalist when it comes to beer (I'm pretty close to being a Reinheitsgebot adherent). The addition of chipotle peppers to this porter is subtle, and very successful. The smokiness of the pepper balances well with the roasted notes in the porter (much like the smoked imperial porter I critiqued earlier in this thread), and the spicy finish is mild without building a cumulative burning sensation as you work your way through a pint. I wouldn't want to drink it endlessly, and it does seem a bit of a novelty to me, but I enjoyed it, and very I'm glad I tried it.

sjclaeys
02-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Let it be known that the Unexpected Maryland Inquisition isn't going down without a fight. From the Desolation (http://instagram.com/p/y0NjKPvRnE/) (nice stout, not too much oak, very nice coffee flavor, keeps the flavor of the espresso, of course I'd like it, one and you're done) to the bent circles of Hell (http://instagram.com/p/y0V8CaPRmd/) (try the Ella DIPA, very floral, a good sipper...and their mascot's cool), there is no brewery beyond our reach.

Beermakers of the Washington Area: be warned. The Inquisition is coming, and we will not be denied.

It looks like from the pictures on Freezing Saddles that some have been beerneuring. However, it does not count for this contest unless make your entries on this thread. See the rules at the top of this thread for all of the info.

Rockford10
02-10-2015, 10:18 AM
It looks like from the pictures on Freezing Saddles that some have been beerneuring. However, it does not count for this contest unless make your entries on this thread. See the rules at the top of this thread for all of the info.

I'm holding back some pictures so that I can zoom to the top and win at the last minute without anyone suspecting anything.

Boomer2U
02-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Heterogeneous BASF teams cooperating on Beerneuring points while celebrating Winter Bike to Work Day at Bluejacket, post Friday the 13th Sweetheart Ride. All the beers were good: f148vr, Rod Smith, Sarah B, Bruno Moore & Boomer2U

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/13/bf0341b3bf9a56ce96e029808061eda9.jpg

dkel
02-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Beerneuring day part two (I'll post part one after part two):

Bluejacket's 1812 Project blended porter. Sorry, Bluejacket, but this has been my least favorite beer of the challenge so far. Though an interesting concept (blending three of their other beers as a recreation of a 19th century porter from an old Washington brewery recipe), the astringency of the roasted malts wasn't balanced enough by malt profile. Tasted a little hollow to me. This, though:

I thought was very, very good! It's called "Mothra," and is billed as a funky farmhouse ale. I read the profile, and didn't expect to like it, but when the waiter brought us a sample because we told him our dog is named Mothra, I tasted it and really liked it. It's strong, with a distinct alcohol heat, but well balanced by an unusual blend of hops, yeast, and tart bacteria (lactobacillus and other things). Really nice. (Mothra is not for a point in the competition, of course: I had to say something nice after panning the beer that I actually ordered!)

dkel
02-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Now, part one. This bourbon stout:

from District ChopHouse and Brewery. OMG, I loooved this beer! Best beer I've had in the course of the competition. Made from their oatmeal stout (available on nitro without the bourbon flavor), this is aged in bourbon barrels, and hand drawn from the cask. It has a pronounced bourbon flavor that creates a magical accent to the already creamy and sweet oatmeal stout. I could drink that stuff all day. I like stout, I like bourbon, I like warm, flat beer from a cask: I was in heaven!

In other news, apparently pictures from my phone will never, ever again be oriented correctly on this forum. Whatever!

consularrider
02-14-2015, 08:46 PM
dkel has been doing too much Beerneuring, he's already horizontal! :p

Brünø Moore
02-15-2015, 02:15 AM
Bluejacket's 1812 Project blended porter. Sorry, Bluejacket, but this has been my least favorite beer of the challenge so far. Though an interesting concept (blending three of their other beers as a recreation of a 19th century porter from an old Washington brewery recipe), the astringency of the roasted malts wasn't balanced enough by malt profile. Tasted a little hollow to me.

Which is odd; of the two I had (Mexican Radio on cask—a bit too strong with the higher alcohols—and the 1812), I LOVED the 1812. I mean, I adore sour beers and porters, and especially sour porters (sometimes Bardo will have a sour mash dark ale they'll mix with a porter—heaven), so it kinda figures. However, there was just something dangerously drinkable about that beer. I was glad to find out that they'd accidentally poured an extra, and just happened to have a thirsty customer who might take it so they didn't have to sink it...

Oh, and pictures/review, since apparently I've been just outside the rules previously:
Three Stars—Desolation Porter
This one's an imperial porter aged on Qualia espresso beans. Specifically, Qualia's rye aged espresso beans. I don't know if any of you had any of that stuff while it was still around, but it tasted more like whiskey than coffee—kind of a weird thing to be drinking in the morning, no matter how very good.

And yes, it's Qualia. "Very Good" is par for their course.

So I wasn't passing this one up. Qualia, rye whiskey, and porter? Just what I need after a hot date with Miss LSAT. Can't say I was even slightly disappointed. Like what I always want barrel aged imperial beers to be like—still some of the oak flavor, but not overwhelming; higher alcohols and sharpness, but still blended in with the malt sweetness, contrasting with the body of the beer rather than overwhelming. Yes, a pint was probably more than I needed of this monster $5 sipper, but I can only complain so much about too much beer.

Hellbender—Red Line, Eft, *Ella, and Topaz
Had a flight of four (I'd already had the Kölsch before); the standout was the Ella Imperial (the glass that's almost empty in the photo with the hellbender cast). Well-balanced, bright floral and fruit flavors from the New Zealand hops, and a thick, creamy mouthfeel. Worth ordering for sure.

Franklin's—*Cherry Picker and Oatmeal Stout with bikenurse
Last Tuesday was the PGCBAC Meeting, and, let me tell you, nothing makes you thirsty for beer like discussing protected bike lanes and why the SHA is evil. As luck would have it, one side of the table (me, WABA's Greg, and CP City Councilman Patrick) ended up ordering one thing (Cherry Picker sour to start, and oatmeal stout for the second round), while the other side (bikenurse Laurie and WABA's Garrett) stuck with the Top Brass double IPA (well, and Greenbelt's Diet Coke). Once again, the sours win; Cherry Picker is a nice copper kettle color, a bit of well-laced foam (whipped cream with a cherry underneath?), and subtly sour and funky. So easy to drink. The oatmeal stout, was, well, a good and delicious oatmeal stout. What you want when you're looking at a ride home in the wind and cold, with a good, full body and a bit of roasty bite.

Bluejacket—Mexican Radio Stout and *1812 Project Porter with sarahybillington
Started with the Mexican Radio sweet stout on cask (love real ale, wish it weren't such a big pretentious production number to get it, though); a bit too sweet, too much higher alcohol taste, lacking the subtlety I was hoping for. Got the 1812 Project Porter; HERE was the beer I rode through cold and frozen facemasks to drink! Okay, the beer, the Girl Scout cookies, and sharing chocolates with the waitstaff.

And finally, let nobody say that the Unexpected Maryland Inquisition is beyond a bit of truth in advertising.

Brünø Moore
02-22-2015, 06:10 PM
MOAR BEER!

Yes, it's jongon's birthday! Happy birthday, WABAMan!

Anyhow, beer. Right Proper beer. Beer from my favorite DC brewpub that I unfortunately haven't had a chance to visit since, oh, the time they screened La Corse in July, I think. That's too long!

I think half of Revolution #9 was there, and I'm not completely sure of their forumnames, so I'll let them figure that out. I think half the Bike Ambassadors in Exile were there, but if they have forum names, I don't know them, so if they're around, I'll let them figure that out. I know I was there, and, thorny and vexing philosophical issues relating to self-knowledge aside, I think I've figured that part out.

So beer!

Right Proper Brewery: Really Rosie; *Diamonds, Fur Coat, Champagne; Nabi (not pictured); half growler of Rosie for jongon with a squirrel wielding a flamethrower on the bottle (sadly not yet pictured)

I don't remember everything that went into Rosie—lingonberries, I think? It's not listed on their website yet—but it was good (NOTE: checked their Instagram: rose hips, elderberries, hibiscus, and pink peppercorns. So Red Zinger tea with a bit of tartness and the aroma of your father). A nice tart sour, a bit thick, but not like a Flemish red. DFFC, however...wow. That one was awesome. I've yet to have anything bad made with Nelson Sauvin hops (this one's dry hopped with them—they said they're trying to emulate a brut Champagne, and NS hops are often noted for having a bit of a white wine flavor), and between the pleasant malt (I know they were going for brut, but it's more dry Champagne), the tart, and the citrus/elderflower/NS dry hopping, it's a winner.

Also a winner: that cheese. Oh Wow was that good cheese. Jasper Hill Winnimere, a raw milk P'tit Basque, a Dutch cheese that reminded me of a more balanced Beemster XO (one of my all-time faves), a raw milk sheep's cheese that was a lot like a more flavorful Manchego, and a strong blue with a good cream flavor that did wonders next to some honey. Sorry I can't give names for more of these—the only picture I have of a recent RP cheese menu got cut off right before most of the cheeses I ordered. Also got about half a cheese sandwich because, hey, may as well give it to the Cheesemonster.

Right Proper Cheese (and Beer): glad I'll be back Wednesday.* See you all there.

*Bike & Brew, AKA "who wants to do goldsprints against Brünø?"

Rockford10
02-26-2015, 06:50 PM
I've been a little behind lately!
One warm weekend, I hit up Sweetwater Tavern. I had a beer sampler. It was just meh. I believe my favorite was the "diet" beer, the others were just too "beery."

Another weekend, I went to District Chophouse and had a Weizen Bock. It was really good. I liked it a lot. I like wheat beers generally, and this was nice.

Later that same day, after getting a little confused with NE and SE and then SW, I went to Bluejacket. There I had a Grendel. It was nice, but not as nice as the Weizen Bock. As previously reported, I was given a sample of "Mothra" and missed my puppy dog. Fear not readers, she was safe at home, protecting the youth from Godzilla. Speaking of the beer Mothra, it was interesting. I might get it next time. Note that the glasses used at Bluejacket are funky and somewhat difficult to use and the tater tots were not as good as expected.

Boomer2U
02-26-2015, 11:33 PM
I went to Mad Fox Brewing Company in Falls Church following my eye doctor appointment to try out my new contact lenses by having a test flight of 80 shilling (malt), Saison DuWha? (pilsner malt), Broad Street IPA (American style) and Abbaye des Chutes (Belgian style Abby Ale) . The 80 shilling was my favorite. The contact lenses worked fine, too.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/26/dceef506ea45cc253296e82d879cba4a.jpg

Boomer2U
03-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Beerneuring 🍻 took me tonight to Rockbottom Brewery at Ballston Mall in NOVA, thanks to SteveO. We tested the sampler as noted in the second picture. I did not care much for either the Kosch nor India Pale Ale, but the Brewmaster's Choice was my favorite (with the Specialty Dark coming in a close second).
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/28/ef751f2ffe9614cdf3781f3db8c427ef.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/28/c3f5fc185fdf4de6557a7b260bbba2eb.jpg

Steve O
03-01-2015, 02:30 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/28/ef751f2ffe9614cdf3781f3db8c427ef.jpg

Poaching Boomer's photo for my own beerneuring point, if you don't mind. I also disliked the Kolsch. My fav was the specialty dark. From a completely different angle, I also liked the white ale for its crisp, easy drinkability.

dkel
03-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Had "The Black Stuff" Irish stout at Rock Bottom. It was...fine. It honestly seemed so middle-of-the-road I have a hard time thinking what to say about it. For example, it was on nitrogen, but I didn't find it to be particularly creamy as a result; I'm not sure I would have guessed that it was on nitrogen if it didn't say so in the description, which is kind of sad. So, I didn't dislike it...but I wouldn't rush back to have it again. (Contrast this with the District Chop House bourbon stout that I still think about weeks after having it.)

sjclaeys
03-07-2015, 04:54 PM
In case anyone is wondering, here are the top Beerneuring standings as of now:
dkel - 8
Rockford - 7
Boomer2U - 6
SteveO - 5
Bruno Moore - 5

Brünø Moore
03-07-2015, 08:59 PM
So let it be posted, so let it be obsolete. On Monday, I was in Bethesda for an interview; as a new CaBi member, it was time for a gratuitous joyride. And, of course, there just happened to be a brewery across the street from the dock...

Rock Bottom, Bethesda: Dubbel, *Cascade Stout

Aaaand, it's happy hour. Just cool enough for a dubbel to sound good. And sure, it was, but like so many other stronger brewpub beers, a bit green as well. You just can't rush an abbey beer, but brewpubs are brewpubs—and keeping things rotating is the name of the game. Still. Not ending on that note. It's rare that anyone bothers telling you what the hop is in a stout; let's see how this one is.

Well, not bad. The bitterness is a bit different than the usual stout—more "hop strong bitter" than "black malt sharp bitter," but I doubt I would have noticed what was going on without the bartender mentioning something. Perhaps if they'd played with the citrus flavors from the cascade hops—grapefruit counterpointing the chocolate malt—it might have been more remarkable. Still, a stout's a stout, and on a cool day, this one does the trick.

dkel
03-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Just cool enough for a dubbel to sound good. And sure, it was, but like so many other stronger brewpub beers, a bit green as well. You just can't rush an abbey beer, but brewpubs are brewpubs—and keeping things rotating is the name of the game. Still.

I tried the dubbel at the Ballston Rock Bottom while I was there today, and it's possible I would have liked it more than the stout I had in the long run. I found it a bit too twangy for the style, but I know that is an aspect of the yeast strain they use. As Brünø says, "still."

Phatboing
03-07-2015, 10:11 PM
I was at Mad Fox yesterday, trying out their Saison and their Abbey ale and the Kolsch and the Pils, and thought to myself "this'd make a great beerneurOHMYGOD I DIDN'T BIKE HERE!"

So that fell apart.

Pah.

Rockford10
03-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Team DRock hit Rock Bottom on Saturday for lunch. I had a small white ale. It was fine; tasted like beer. Meh. (Went to Mad Fox again last night and had an Orange Whip. Score!)

dkel
03-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Team DRock hit Rock Bottom on Saturday for lunch.

Hmph! Every time I refer to us as D-Rock, you just roll your eyes!

Rockford10
03-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Hmph! Every time I refer to us as D-Rock, you just roll your eyes!

:rolleyes:

ShawnoftheDread
03-10-2015, 03:59 PM
I think she's rolling her eyes at your use of the hyphen. She seems to prefer it without.

dkel
03-10-2015, 05:20 PM
I think she's rolling her eyes at your use of the hyphen. She seems to prefer it without.

Hey, man, I made that moniker up. That's why she's rolling her eyes. (Except when she uses it, then it's all cool and junk. Sheesh.)

kmbader
03-10-2015, 10:54 PM
I know it's a little late in the competition to begin beerneuring with only 9 days left, but better late than never! :)

Mad Fox - Kölsch. Light and refreshing

kmbader
03-12-2015, 10:15 PM
For my second beerneuring entry, I enjoyed a Red Ale from Rock Bottom - Ballston this evening, along with some pretzels and wings as you can see :) The red ale was tasty and balanced, not too hoppy for me

Brünø Moore
03-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Stupid gimmick time? Yes, I think it is. While I'm planning some epic breweryriding for the next week (maybe even dragging a parent or two out for some of it), there was one particular brewery combo I wanted to hit up just for the pure sleeze value...

District Chophouse and Brewery: *Dunkelweizen
There was a Caps game when I dropped by the brewery for HH, so I couldn't score a seat at the bar—but no matter, I was thirsty, and was just fine with drinking my beer on my feet. After a botched CaBi half hour record attempt, I needed a beer. Now, a good Dunkelweizen is hard to find. Franklin's had one this winter; a nice balance between the dark roasted malts—giving you the sharpness of a Schwartzbier—and the banana and clove flavors of a Weizenbier yeast, sharpness and spice playing off fruit and sweet malt.

Now, this one wasn't quite that sublime, but it was still pretty durn good. Not overly roasty (a downfall of many a Dunkel I've had), perfectly quenching, just complex enough to satisfy your brain, not so much going on you couldn't just down the thing if you were thirsty. In other words, it's just what I needed.

And now, for stupid gimmicks: if this is beerneuring, and I'm riding my bike places, then I guess I'm hopping on a CaBi, riding two blocks, and walking in the side door.

Gordon Bierch: Rauchbier

Now, Rauchbiere are interesting things. A good one is like a deliciously barbecued beer: perfectly balancing a strong yet sublime smoke flavor with malt sweetness and a bit of hop spice, just like proper Oklahoma barbecue melds oak/hickory smoke, meat sweetness, and spice from the dry rub or bologna spices. A bad one, though...it's like getting a rack of ribs that's been cooked according to the Book of Leviticus, no meat, no flavor, all jerky. So I had to try this one, in the hopes it'd be a good one.

Eh. Not the worst, but...eh. Too much smoke, not enough malt support. Yes, a Rauchbier should be smoky, but it should be more than just smoke, just as good barbecue should be as well. It's the interplay of elements, of combining smoke with the base amber beer, that makes for a good one. This one...whatever. Something else next time. Still, can't complain about the setting—the elegant and ornate lobby is a good place for a drink, even when packed with hockey fans.

Steve O
03-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Went to see the movie Merchants of Doubt with my son last night. So I thought, "Hey, that's right by Gordon Biersch. I can get a beerneuring point."
Then, "Dang! We're metroing there. That doesn't count."

Then: "Bing! CaBi!" I checked back at the rules, and there does not appear to be a minimum ride distance. So I took a short CaBi ride to get me there.

I got the marzen, which was nice and drinkable. My son got the Rauchbier, which Bruno described. That one was more interesting.
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8100&stc=1

Boomer2U
03-16-2015, 12:25 AM
I went to Bardo's after the Vasa ride and tried the Imperial black ipa and dremo (dry-hopped), with a little help from my friends. Both were delicious. But then again, what wouldn't be after cycling 76 miles?!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/15/e5634d5c073658436217acab60b5af37.jpg

Boomer2U
03-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Last week I stopped by Franklin's in Hyattsville MD and took a test flight of their many concoctions. My favorites were the 13th Anniversary Larger and Oatmeal Stout. I really didn't like the Cheery Picker, nor did I fancy much the Private IPA. The Hop Zen was OK. See the menu pic for a worthy description of their brews.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/1c327dc87d37eaffe441253017b89ce5.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/65388e1ff1b7a07c0663379367beedf8.jpg

Boomer2U
03-16-2015, 03:47 PM
I cut out early this afternoon to ride since it's such a Beautiful day, and it dawned on me that I've yet to collect a beerneuring point at Cap City Brewery in Shirlington, even though I blast by on the nearby 4MR trail on a regular basis. So I stopped and ordered a Prohibition Porter. As the menu says "traditional English style ruby-brown Ale with pronounced chocolate malt character." I couldn't agree more. Especially the chocolate part. Delightful.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/e8a18ef3543e3fee57befa313f28b34f.jpg

Tania
03-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Who do I bribe to get on this team next year?

Steve O
03-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Hey, Claeys! Boomer's on a roll. How 'bout updating the standings for the final sprint?

Brünø Moore
03-17-2015, 05:55 AM
Hey, Claeys! Boomer's on a roll. How 'bout updating the standings for the final sprint?

Those standings are probably already out of date; Instagram suggests there are more than a few folks holding their cards close, marking opponents, and Watching.

Competitive brewery touring. Who woulda thunk it?

Rockford10
03-18-2015, 11:15 AM
On Saturday I visited another Gordon Biersch location - near the Verizon Center. I had the Golden Export and it was very nice. It was cold and refreshing on such a miserable day.

Rockford10
03-18-2015, 11:20 AM
The adventure on Sunday lead to Lost Rhino brewery in Ashburn. I admit to not liking Lost Rhino beers in the past, but my trip to the brewery itself was lovely! They had many beers and some nice eats. I had something I can't remember (oops!) and a milk stout. Both were very nice.

sjclaeys
03-18-2015, 10:07 PM
IMPORTANT - All Beerneuring entries must be posted on this thread by 11:59 EDT on Friday, March 20. I will go by the post time and date as indicated on this website. That is all (for now).

Rockford10
03-19-2015, 01:52 PM
Are we really holding back all the recent beer rides? Well then.

Last Saturday also meant a visit to Right Proper off of Florida Avenue. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't eaten at Gordon Biersch right before. The Kick Kick Snare I had was very nice and sour, but it may have been too "fussy" for more than the half-pour I got. I would go back here again and try their food!

Next up was Atlas Brew Works. It seemed like a nice place to hang out with friends on a rainy Saturday. While I can appreciate the beers, they were not necessarily something I would want to drink again. I got the sampler and liked the Saison des Fetes the most. I believe they were almost out of the Saison. Pizza truck rolled up as we rolled out.

Finally, a trip to Bardo. I didn't see other riders there or at Atlas, but I am sure they were out and about. I had the Chuck Brown Ale. I usually like brown ales, but this was a little bitter for my tastes. Next time, I would try something else. The brewery was, interesting. It was wet and soggy outside and the neighborhood was a little more up-and-coming than I frequent. No food.

Boomer2U
03-19-2015, 02:34 PM
I treated myself to a flight sampler (see menu pic) for lunch at Sweetwater in Merrifield VA to celebrate the end of BAFS2015. My favorite, by far, was the #33 Chipotle Porter. Very unique. And filling.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/c3738f105c2bf5e2221ed2584a9fbe58.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/a262fb0937dc953eb5d07014d7ffcd92.jpg

Boomer2U
03-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Ok, since I drank one, I might as well go for a second. This time it's the Oatmeal Stout at District Chophouse. Two thumbs up!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/2da81fc57f3ac2f224d3e409979f85bf.jpg

Boomer2U
03-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Well, two often leads to three...so I rode up 7th to Right Proper where I had a delicious Haxan, named after a the silent era Scandinavian documentary on witchcraft...need I say more?
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/32f7ae36109137fdd87b7be7da67a283.jpg

KayakCyndi
03-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Well, two often leads to three...so I rode up 7th to Right Proper where I had a delicious Haxan, named after a the silent era Scandinavian documentary on witchcraft...need I say more?
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/32f7ae36109137fdd87b7be7da67a283.jpg

Are you going to stay upright for our laps around Hains after that?

Brünø Moore
03-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Well, I think it's time I showed my hand. Bottoms up...

Atlas Brewing: *Pumpernickel Stout, *Saison de Fêtes

If you want 'em, get 'em fast, because these holiday specials are all but kicked until at least #fs2016. Probably the best things I've had out of Atlas; yes, I know, not my favorite brewery, but they make some intriguing things every once in a while. These, though...
The SdF I'd had earlier—in November, I think—and wanted to have a half for old times sake. Rich, strong, vinuous, and spicy—but not "Christmas beer" overspiced, but more "letting the esters and phenols of the yeast do the work in a big beer" spicy. So many winter beers go overkill with clove and allspice and cinnamon and licorice and chocolate and star anise and whatever else my ex and I put in that ill-conceived Imperial stout we brewed in my TU apartment all those years ago; this one just trusts the yeast to do what they do best and calls it a very good day. Similarly, the PS used the rye malt and molasses to add a bit more character and dark flavor to an otherwise mild, but good, stout. Well-balanced, and not overkill in any dimension.

Bardo: *Bubba's Sour Mash, Marion Berry Ale

Yes it was kinda cold, yes the inside's open, but you know what, the dogs are outside, and they're warm enough. Talked Women & Bikes and protected bikeways with one dog's owner and drank a BSM—which, if you like sours, and you like Schwartzbier, you'll love. You'll also probably be me. Marion Berry...well, I'm not sure what the Rogue spirit that got poured into the glass was (a blackberry Schnapps?), but it didn't do much. Shoulda stuck with the Bubba's. Also, just FYI...Bardog is awesome.

DC Brau: Cimmerian Schwartzbier, *Nitro Penn Quarter Porter

Snagged a spot at the bar and started talking with Lizzie the Beermeister. Everything about beer, bikes, and generally getting awesome. She's cool, y'alls should go and say hey. Anyhow, wanted to try the Schwartz they had just released...eh. Green, like unbrewed malt, like so many DC Brau beers at the brewery. Freshness is nice, but not serving beers before they're ready. The PQP, OTOH...wow. Never had it on nitro before, and what a difference it makes on this one! Goes from sharp, assertive, robust porter to creamy, rich, well-balanced, and delicious. Nitro is exactly what it needs to give it the balance and richness it so desperately lacks otherwise. Served right, it may be my favorite DC Brau yet.

Denizens Brewery: Ponch's Porter, Third Party Trippel, *Lowest Lord ESB

Rode along a chocolate-milk colored Sligo Creek to Silver Spring to hit this one up on Pi Day. Seeing dark, frothing waters made me think of dark, frothing beer...but the humidity had other ideas. The Ponch was too robust and sharp (hi guys, see what DCB does with nitro, this one needs it), the Third Party very phenolic and clove-heavy...but in a way that might not be bad, I guess. Okay, hm. Can't decide between either, let's try Something Completely Different: the ESB. Oh, takes me right back to the Royal Oak, my first night in Oxford...all we need is to put this one on cask and I'll be in heaven. Dang well spot-on. Next time, though, I'll have to try the barbecue as well; that brisket looked pretty good, and Lord knows that's a hard thing to find around here.

Gordon Biersch Navy Yard: *Weizenbock

Ah yes. The Sandbagger's Special. Weren't expecting me to pull this one out of my back pocket, were you? Wasn't on Instagram, (unintentionally) screwed up the Strava record (https://www.strava.com/activities/269955721) of the CaBi ride over from Brookland after my Bikeshare TT attempt—but here it is. Such a nice day, sat where I could feel the breeze through the open windows and watch the sun slowly move across the "future is now" Department of Transportation building with its shiny Century Gothic letters. Good clove and banana notes, stronger malt sweetness than in in a typical Weiß balancing the strong alcohol; a great beer to have on a lazy late afternoon.

Rockford10
03-20-2015, 02:28 PM
On Sunday, along with visiting Lost Rhino, I also hit up Old Ox. It's a lovely little place steps off the W&OD. I had a sampler of beer and liked the lighter Golden Ox beer. They've got a nice little facility there with a BBQ truck.

Tuesday, St. Patrick's Day, was the last beer ride, which was celebrated in style with a green beer from Hops in Alexandria. I don't think I've had a green beer since college. Actually, that was a green bagel, but I digress. The beer, which was made green for the occasion, was their Lightening Bold Gold. Fun!

dkel
03-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Gordon Biersch NW: Märzen
Very nice: true to the style and malty, just like I like it. Really nothing unexpected, though. I wish I had tried the rauchbier while I was there, too.

Right Proper: The Lubitsch Touch grätzner
This was fantastic: a very unexpected pale beer with a smoky finish. It was creamy and smoky...reminded me of a nice smoked Gouda. I really appreciate what Right Proper is doing out there, producing unusual beers, unlike so many run-of-the-mill brewery restaurants. That said, the place was packed with hipsters, and I felt like a total loser compared to them. I should've ridden my fixie there. :p

Atlas: Pumpernickel Stout
A nice stout. I enjoyed it very much. The added molasses imparted a mild but apparent flavor. I might have enjoyed it even more if it had not been unusually hot out by that point in the day.

Bardo: Imperial Black IPA
This was fine. Honestly, by this point in my Saturday ride I was tired, full up from beer, and my pallet was sort of malted-out, despite having finished none of the beers I ordered that day after that first 10-oz Märzen. I can say that Bardo is a very odd place, though I can see that it would be a hoot if you were out with a bunch of friends on a warm evening. Bardog is awesome.

dkel
03-20-2015, 05:19 PM
Lost Rhino: Lost Hog Belgian-style dark ale aged in bourbon barrels
I really liked this! It is second only to the bourbon stout I had at District ChopHouse. I must have a thing for bourbon-flavored beer. Overall, Lost Rhino seems to be doing some clever things in their brewery, while still having plenty for the casual beer drinker.

Old Ox: Kristen's Passion Mexican hot chocolate porter
I was intrigued by this concoction from its description. Mildly spicy from the addition of chiles, with a distinct chocolate flavor. Good, but a bit of a gimmick. I now remember that I am not really a fan of beer with extra ingredients in it (bourbon barrels are another matter!).

dkel
03-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Hops Grill Brewery: Alligator Ale
Average, I'm sorry to say. I get the impression that places like this cater to people who like beer but don't care about their beer. There was nothing wrong with it, but it had no real character. It wasn't even described as a porter or a brown ale or whatever; just an ale. I mean, c'mon. I was slightly jealous of Rockford's green beer at Hops: at least there was something different about that!
(That's a 7-barrel fermentation vessel in the background)

sjclaeys
03-21-2015, 11:50 AM
2105 FSSB #4 BEERNEURING RESULTS

Since I will not be able to make the happy hour, here are the results:

1) Tie - Dkel and Rockford (aka Team DRock) - 15 each
3) Bruno Moore - 13
4) Boomer2U -12
5) SteveO - 6
6) kmbader - 2
7) Tie - kwarentien, Toonces, jrenaut - 1 each

Congratulations to all! A total of 23 breweries were visited and 115 samplings were posted. It seems to me that this was quite the success, so look for it next year! Until then, remember:

sjclaeys
03-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Also, kudos to Bruno Moore for the most descriptive beer descriptions. Well done!

dkel
03-21-2015, 11:57 AM

So, if you can't make the happy hour, when do we get our awesome prize? :D

sjclaeys
03-21-2015, 11:59 AM
So, if you can't make the happy hour, when do we get our awesome prize? :D

Check your private messages.

DismalScientist
03-21-2015, 03:34 PM

A chug-off at the final happy hour seems appropriate to assign bragging rights.

vvill
03-21-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm sure if this was just straight # of beers drunk during FS I could've been competitive.

Maybe next time. 15 is an awful lot of fancy beers though. :rolleyes: ;)

KWL
03-21-2015, 06:50 PM

1) Tie - Dkel and Rockford (aka Team DRock) - 15 each..
But all of Dkel's photos were sideways. Surely there should be some points off for that.

Rockford10
03-21-2015, 07:14 PM
15 is an awful lot of fancy beers though. :rolleyes: ;)

I had a work event Thursday night and the thing I ordered was a Miller Lite. True story.

Steve O
03-21-2015, 09:03 PM
i had a work event thursday night and the thing i ordered was a miller lite. True story.

tmi!!!