PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Saddles Last Night Hains Point Party - March 19th, 2015

jrenaut
01-11-2015, 07:57 AM
Mark your calendars - you are all invited to the 2nd Annual Freezing Saddles Last Night Hains Point Party on March 19th, the last night of the contest. Steve O and I (I mean, I don't want to speak for Steve O, but I'm pretty sure his attendance is a given) will get down to Hains Point around 8pm or so and ride circles until close to midnight. There will be a toast of some sort to the contest and to all of us sometime around 1130.

Details will firm up as the date approaches, but wanted to get it on your calendar now in case you want to attend.

Remember that rides ending AFTER midnight do NOT count. I know some riders last year stopped a ride and restarted to make sure the miles got counted. You can upload rides after midnight so long as they ended before midnight.

jrenaut
03-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Just a reminder that the last night of Freezing Saddles is ONE WEEK from today.

There aren't really any further details at this point. Just show up. If you don't see anyone, start doing laps. Sprint like crazy until you catch up to the group.

Feel free to ask questions, either here or you can PM me.

vern
03-12-2015, 12:16 PM
It would be a long ride from Reston to make this party. I will definitely have to do this if the standings are close. But in any event I will have to do this if my legs permit me as it's just...well...silly...and therefore, mandatory.

Raymo853
03-12-2015, 12:55 PM
If you don't see anyone, start doing laps. Sprint like crazy until you catch up to the group.

Only if you are a Dozy Dozer, otherwise, just sit along the course and wait for the group.

dplasters
03-12-2015, 04:12 PM
So... is this like the Ferrari from Ferris Bueller? Octothorpe rides the wrong way around Hains point and the miles come off or something?

jrenaut
03-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Honestly, this is more about celebrating how awesome we all are and how awesome Freezing Saddles is. This is about riding in circles with your friends for a few hours and being glad that spring is here.

I mean, that's easy to say for someone on the currently 8th place team who isn't all that competitive to begin with. But if you're looking at this as a way to gain serious ground on whoever is ahead of you, you're going to have to get there a lot earlier than I am.

jrenaut
03-12-2015, 04:43 PM
So, I have no idea how many people are going to show up, but we can still spend the next week arguing over logistics.

1) Steve O is DEFINITELY NOT bringing a bottle of Lemoncello again to do a toast. That would be illegal, so it's not happening. For sure. Totally not happening.
2) I'm thinking of cooking something. At first I was thinking of Skratch Labs portables, but then I was thinking brownies instead. I'm saying this here because now I'm kind of obligated, so hopefully that will be motivating.
3) Like the prizes, your contribution is appreciated, whatever it might be. I'm guessing we'll have somewhere between 6 and 50 attendees, so plan accordingly.
4) Non-participants are welcome. The forecast is currently pretty pleasant, and this sort of camaraderie in pleasant weather is what tricks people into getting involved next year.

Steve O
03-12-2015, 04:55 PM
and this sort of camaraderie in pleasant weather is what tricks people into getting involved next year.

Hence HF C, who came down and rode last year and this year is a proud member of the Prims.

Steve O is DEFINITELY NOT bringing a bottle of Lemoncello again to do a toast. That would be illegal, so it's not happening. For sure. Totally not happening.
True that. I would never bring an illegal bottle of Lemoncello. Never.

Also, if you want to relive last year, or just want to get the backstory, the thread is here (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6682-Wednesday-night-Hains-Point-Party/).

vvill
03-12-2015, 06:15 PM
I'll try to make it, but I probably won't leave home until the kids are in bed.

TwoWheelsDC
03-12-2015, 07:09 PM
I've got class from 4-10pm that day, so I doubt I'll make it down, but I'm not ruling it out.

Brünř Moore
03-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Well, bad news: my parents are going to be in town, so I'll have to make time for them (Oh Darn).

The good news is that I may just be able to scrounge up a pair of bikes and convince them to join in the festivities.

ian74
03-13-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm really looking forward to this. I'll be there!

Raymo853
03-13-2015, 09:03 AM
So... is this like the Ferrari from Ferris Bueller? Octothorpe rides the wrong way around Hains point and the miles come off or something?

There are backwards loop segments.
http://www.strava.com/segments/5678131?filter=overall

DismalScientist
03-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Nothing like having your scofflawism on the the internet for permanent display.:rolleyes:

elwbikes
03-13-2015, 11:06 AM
I have to work that night, but only until 9ish, so I'll be there (late)!

Boomer2U
03-13-2015, 01:52 PM
I will be there to alert Park Police that SteveO may allegedly be packing a bottle of Lemoncello.

cvcalhoun
03-13-2015, 02:54 PM
"May allegedly"? Doesn't sound like probable cause for an investigation to me!

Amalitza
03-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Last year I seriously considered and tentatively planned on showing up for this. I continued to seriously consider and tentatively plan on showing up right up until the time I had to decide between getting dressed and getting on the bike, or getting undressed and getting in bed. I do believe I even started to get dressed for the bike. Then I... got undressed and went to bed.

So, I'm seriously considering showing up this year, but based on past performance I don't know how likely that is. If anyone else is heading there from my area (Terp, worktheweb?) company on the way there might be extra incentive for bike>> bed.

Sunyata
03-15-2015, 01:14 PM
If anyone is coming/going to the Shirlington/Fairlington area, I may consider going. I am not too keen on biking home that late at night by myself. Any takers? :)

Arlingtonrider
03-15-2015, 03:42 PM
If anyone is coming/going to the Shirlington/Fairlington area, I may consider going. I am not too keen on biking home that late at night by myself. Any takers? :)

A tentative yes here. Let's stay in touch. There may be more as well.

consularrider
03-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Sunyata and Kathy, that's the way I ride home.

kwarkentien
03-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Ditto for me. If I can do it, I'll be riding back to Shirlington too.

Steve O
03-15-2015, 07:01 PM
I will be there to alert Park Police that SteveO may allegedly be packing a bottle of Lemoncello.

Can you not read?

1) Steve O is DEFINITELY NOT bringing a bottle of Lemoncello again to do a toast. That would be illegal, so it's not happening. For sure. Totally not happening.

How much more clear can it be?

Raymo853
03-15-2015, 09:26 PM
When do folks think they will start showing up down there? I was thinking I would get there around 8 and probably only ride there for like two hours. I am not tough enough to ride until 1130.

ian74
03-16-2015, 05:59 AM
When do folks think they will start showing up down there? I was thinking I would get there around 8 and probably only ride there for like two hours. I am not tough enough to ride until 1130.

I'm probably going to be there around 7 or 7:30 or so and follow a similar schedule. I just don't know how to recognize other BAFS people. Aside from riding by everybody saying "Freezing saddles? Freezing saddles?"

I have a blue BA forum tag hanging off my seatbag! And a Bianchi.

jrenaut
03-16-2015, 06:12 AM
If it's anything like last year, recognizing won't be hard. If you see someone one a bike, they are Freezing Saddles.

I'll probably be down around 830.

worktheweb
03-16-2015, 08:32 AM
If anyone else is heading there from my area (Terp, worktheweb?) company on the way there might be extra incentive for bike>> bed.

I am planning on being there, but since I work in DC, I might not take the trip back home only to turn around (and I do get the irony in that statement ... since I am going to a place to ride in circles...). I would definitely enjoy the company on the late night ride back, though.

Anyone with time to kill in DC want to grab a bite to eat together before heading down to Hains Point?

Steve O
03-16-2015, 08:47 AM
I'll be more on the later shift side, probably arriving 8:30-9:00. I plan to be there to toast the official end of FS for another year, along with the other ELITE badasses.

colleen
03-16-2015, 08:51 AM
I plan on being there, and will join the late night convoy in the shirlington direction.

vern
03-16-2015, 09:56 AM
What is the distance of a Hains Point lap, asked by someone who has never rode one before.

jrenaut
03-16-2015, 10:00 AM
What is the distance of a Hains Point lap, asked by someone who has never rode one before.
A full lap is 3.2 miles (https://www.strava.com/segments/716471?filter=overall).

For reference, this is my Strava ride from last year's FSLNHPP (https://www.strava.com/activities/122248904).

consularrider
03-16-2015, 10:23 AM
I am planning on being there, but since I work in DC, I might not take the trip back home only to turn around (and I do get the irony in that statement ... since I am going to a place to ride in circles...). I would definitely enjoy the company on the late night ride back, though.

Anyone with time to kill in DC want to grab a bite to eat together before heading down to Hains Point?

I would be happy to meet up for a pre-Hains Point Party Ride dinner. Suggestions, and timing?

worktheweb
03-16-2015, 01:08 PM
I would be happy to meet up for a pre-Hains Point Party Ride dinner. Suggestions, and timing?

I am pretty flexible. I'm down in Chinatown, so Pi Pizza, Gordon Biersch, and Cap City come to mind, but I could honestly go anywhere (and since we'll be on bikes, we can). Timing wise, I can probably do it anytime after 5 or so.

If the NWS forecast holds true it looks like BAFS could go out with a snowy bang ... 50% chance of rain and snow with a low of 35°F. All the more motivation to ride faster around the point.

Raymo853
03-16-2015, 02:00 PM
A full lap is 3.2 miles (https://www.strava.com/segments/716471?filter=overall).

For reference, this is my Strava ride from last year's FSLNHPP (https://www.strava.com/activities/122248904).

I love the times on the 5 lap segment. I am second to last (1,508th of 1,509 riders) and Shawn my Dozy teammate is dead last.
https://www.strava.com/segments/7619365?filter=overall

ShawnoftheDread
03-16-2015, 02:45 PM
I love the times on the 5 lap segment. I am second to last (1,508th of 1,509 riders) and Shawn my Dozy teammate is dead last.
https://www.strava.com/segments/7619365?filter=overall

The only time I've done 5 straight HP laps was with a six year old on a trail-a-bike at the first Hains Point 100. She and I did 10 laps, and I'm pretty sure she's first in her age group.

Arlingtonrider
03-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Due to a work obligation early Friday, I'm not going to be able to make this. Sunyata, it sounds like you'll have good company for the ride home. Have fun everyone!

sarahybillington
03-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Sadly I can't ride, but I'll be converting my car into a SAG wagon / snack and beverage station for the Hains Point shenanigans. Look for the red Mini and the girl on crutches. See you there!

jrenaut
03-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Sadly I can't ride, but I'll be converting my car into a SAG wagon / snack and beverage station for the Hains Point shenanigans. Look for the red Mini and the girl on crutches. See you there!
Note that my "like" is for your attendance, not the crutches.

consularrider
03-17-2015, 09:47 AM
I am pretty flexible. I'm down in Chinatown, so Pi Pizza, Gordon Biersch, and Cap City come to mind, but I could honestly go anywhere (and since we'll be on bikes, we can). Timing wise, I can probably do it anytime after 5 or so.

If the NWS forecast holds true it looks like BAFS could go out with a snowy bang ... 50% chance of rain and snow with a low of 35°F. All the more motivation to ride faster around the point.
Pete posted the BikeArlington PAL Pizza Party after my earlier comment. I'll go to that before I head over to Hains Point for the Loopy Party. Also, it looks like the precipitation event is going to hold off until after midnight. Looks like we might still get to welcome spring with falling snow on the Friday Morning Coffee Club Commuter Caravan.

Steve O
03-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Looks like we might still get to welcome spring with falling snow on the Friday Morning Coffee Club Commuter Caravan.

Double ELITE Badasses: those who both toast the end of winter at the FSLNHPP AND show up for FCC Friday morning. That deserves some sort of Pointless Prize.

vern
03-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Double ELITE Badasses: those who both toast the end of winter at the FSLNHPP AND show up for FCC Friday morning. That deserves some sort of Pointless Prize.

I should get triple elite for this if I toast and make FCC whilst going all the way back to Reston inbetwinxt. In any event, I will be leaving the party early enough so that my ride back to Reston counts, which means I'd miss the 11:30 toast, but I'd be there for the 9:30 edition.

creadinger
03-17-2015, 12:58 PM
There are backwards loop segments.
http://www.strava.com/segments/5678131?filter=overall

I was down there for a lap on Sunday and saw at least 5 people going the wrong way. I don't get it. The wind sucked going NW no matter which way you were going around the loop, so why would you go backwards??

I'm hoping to make it down there Friday evening but no guarantees. I have to work Saturday, so have to get up early.

Boomer2U
03-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Pete posted the BikeArlington PAL Pizza Party after my earlier comment. I'll go to that before I head over to Hains Point for the Loopy Party. Also, it looks like the precipitation event is going to hold off until after midnight. Looks like we might still get to welcome spring with falling snow on the Friday Morning Coffee Club Commuter Caravan.
I plan to attend the BikeArlington PAL Pizza Party, too, and then head over to HP Loop Party until the bitter end, or I keel over, which ever comes first.

Amalitza
03-17-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm hoping to make it down there Friday evening but no guarantees. I have to work Saturday, so have to get up early.

Wait, this is Thursday evening, March 19, correct?

Also, though I got no takers so far, I'm guessing I'll roll through Old Town around 8:30 or so if anyone cares to ride with. I could do later, but not much earlier (maybe 8:15 instead of 8:30).

tho, I also have a work email informing me that my office will be moving to our new building on Tuesday, March 23, so maybe it is just my calendar telling me that March 19 is Thursday and march 23 is Monday that is wrong.

jrenaut
03-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Yes, Thursday the 19th. Friday you'll be riding for the greater glory of yourself but not Freezing Saddles.

rcannon100
03-17-2015, 04:25 PM
tho, I also have a work email informing me that my office will be moving to our new building on Tuesday, March 23, so maybe it is just my calendar telling me that March 19 is Thursday and march 23 is Monday that is wrong.

Who do you trust more? You're co-workers ~ or a bunch of morons who ride bicycles through ice storms?

Boomer2U
03-17-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm probably going to be there around 7 or 7:30 or so and follow a similar schedule. I just don't know how to recognize other BAFS people. Aside from riding by everybody saying "Freezing saddles? Freezing saddles?"

I have a blue BA forum tag hanging off my seatbag! And a Bianchi.

I have a pink BA Forum tag hanging off of my seatbag, on a black Trek Madone

scoot
03-17-2015, 06:08 PM
I could honestly go anywhere (and since we'll be on bikes, we can).

Reading these thirteen words brought a smile to my face. Yay bikes!

Raymo853
03-17-2015, 07:01 PM
I was down there for a lap on Sunday and saw at least 5 people going the wrong way. I don't get it. The wind sucked going NW no matter which way you were going around the loop, so why would you go backwards??

It is a great way to see what cute people are riding laps so you can turn around and chat them up. I assume those five people just did not find you attractive.

creadinger
03-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Goddamnit.. I totally thought it was Friday, and that the 200K I'm planning on Friday IN THE SNOW would count as well.

Well thanks for correcting me. I'd really be annoyed if I showed up at HP alone. I will most likely not be there now. Enjoy!

dcv
03-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Goddamnit.. I totally thought it was Friday, and that the 200K I'm planning on Friday IN THE SNOW would count as well.

Well thanks for correcting me. I'd really be annoyed if I showed up at HP alone. I will most likely not be there now. Enjoy!

Didn't you show up to kill bill one day early last year?

creadinger
03-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Didn't you show up to kill bill one day early last year?

Oiy, so that's a thing people remember apparently. Yes, that was me. I got up at buttcrack-o-dawn 2 days in a row instead of sleeping in.

I blame my non-traditional work schedule. The every 4th weekend thing where you have Friday's off before and after messes with your idea of a week. Oh well.

Raymo853
03-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Does anyone have goals for tonight at Hanes Point? Mine is to do two of the five laps (https://www.strava.com/segments/7619365?filter=overall) at most. Writing that sounds very painful, maybe I'll just do one five.

scorchedearth
03-19-2015, 09:48 AM
I plan on doing a lap after work but that will be around 4:45pm and then I'll head home. This will be my first and only lap around Hains for this year's competition.

jrenaut
03-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Goals for tonight:

Distribute homemade brownies
Show winter it can kiss my behind
Have fun

I was hoping to get to 800 miles for the year but I don't think I have time. I think there's also a 3 lap segment, so you could shoot for two or three of those instead of two fives.

I should be down around 8:30 unless I ditch the wife and kids before bedtime and come down a bit earlier. Blue Bianchi with an orange pannier full of brownies.

ShawnoftheDread
03-19-2015, 10:07 AM
I might do a couple of laps on the way home. Then again, I might not.

I passed my BAFS #1 miles when I got on the bike this morning, and will finish one spot below on the individual chart than I did that year, so my motivation level is low.

Boomer2U
03-19-2015, 10:15 AM
I plan to be there after the PAL Pizza n beer party, post 8 pm. My goal is to make sure that SteveO doesn't break out the alleged bottle of Lemoncello. I also hope to break the 1900 mile threshold for my BAFS2015 riding season, however many laps that takes.

elwbikes
03-19-2015, 10:24 AM
I'll be there 9/9:30, on a step through hybrid with purple panniers. Hopefully I will be wearing bikey clothes, not work clothes.

KayakCyndi
03-19-2015, 10:30 AM
I might do a couple of laps on the way home. Then again, I might not.

I passed my BAFS #1 miles when I got on the bike this morning, and will finish one spot below on the individual chart than I did that year, so my motivation level is low.

I'll be there too. My goal is to stay ahead of Shawnofthedread!

wheels&wings
03-19-2015, 10:37 AM
My goals:

1.Distribute 50 DD holes -- not homemade, but that’s a good thing in my case.

2.Ride at least one loop.

Admittedly, riding once around felt more than sufficient when I lapped HP and the Arlington loop on New Year’s Day with the kids/trailer. The girls have happy memories of that ride … largely because of the awesome discovery that Best Buns was open on our way home… not because of the cold and windy trek around HP! :+)

Steve O
03-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Keep in mind that if you want to share in the "Martinelli's" beverage toast, you'll have to be there post 11PM. So those of you doing a single lap at 6PM or something, too bad.
Also, unless you are there after, say, 9PM, you won't even be part of the official FSLNHP Party, you'll just be some cyclist riding around Hains Point for no particular reason.

It does seem we will have a respectable turnout. I'm hoping I have enough "Martinelli's sparkling beverage," but feel free to bring a supplement.

Ride on! And goodbye winter 2015: we loved ya; we hated ya; you threw your toughest at us, but you couldn't break us. Hah!

Raymo853
03-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Keep in mind that if you want to share in the "Martinelli's" beverage toast, you'll have to be there post 11PM. So those of you doing a single lap at 6PM or something, too bad.
Also, unless you are there after, say, 9PM, you won't even be part of the official FSLNHP Party, you'll just be some cyclist riding around Hains Point for no particular reason.

It does seem we will have a respectable turnout. I'm hoping I have enough "Martinelli's sparkling beverage," but feel free to bring a supplement.

Ride on! And goodbye winter 2015: we loved ya; we hated ya; you threw your toughest at us, but you couldn't break us. Hah!

Ha, then I am not planning to be part of the party. Hope to get home around 9.

I think I'll do the five segment then of course a backwards one (http://www.strava.com/segments/5678131?filter=overall).

KayakCyndi
03-19-2015, 11:51 AM

On it. I'll bring a beverage, nonalcoholic of course, to share. I'm planning on being there until the bitter end or at least until the caravan back to Falls Church leaves!

CPTJohnC
03-19-2015, 12:33 PM
On it. I'll bring a beverage, nonalcoholic of course, to share. I'm planning on being there until the bitter end or at least until the caravan back to Falls Church leaves!

Does water count? I should have plenty of that. I plan to be there sometime after 9 (after I finish a college seminar at school with #1 son). Any idea when that caravan back to FC might be leaving? I live a little bit further west, but I might glom on for part of the ride...

TwoWheelsDC
03-19-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm caring for a recovering wife, so I'm definitely out. BAFS for me will end not with a bang, but a whimpering ride to and from class...

ImaCynic
03-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Ok, I plan to be out there, if not for few laps, I'll go just to see if USPP can really tell the difference between lemoncello and the elixir that most of us suck on during a ride. As far as they're concerned, we're probably toasting with Gatorade! Oh wait, no one is bringing lemoncello, right? ;^) Doesn't look like the weather will be factor, so it should quite a bit nicer than last year's misty and foggy outing.

Boomer and SteveO, are you all going directly from work, or do you plan to start from home?

Ride on!

Boomer2U
03-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Boomer and SteveO, are you all going directly from work, or do you plan to start from home?

Ride on!

I'll be in DC/Arlington for the late afternoon, and probably go directly to HP from the BA Pizza/Beer PAL party.

ImaCynic
03-19-2015, 01:50 PM
I'll be in DC/Arlington for the late afternoon, and probably go directly to HP from the BA Pizza/Beer PAL party.

Ok, I plan to stop by the PAL party for a bit, so I probably see you there.

Dirt
03-19-2015, 02:44 PM
I'm going to stop by after the PAL party and put in 3 hours of laps. :D

TriGirlSara
03-19-2015, 02:56 PM
I just joined the group for FS this year, so I don't know too many of you, but I'll be there around 7 to celebrate the completion of my first FS competition! Grey castelli jacket, black/blue trek road bike. Probably will bail after an hour or so. :)

sjclaeys
03-19-2015, 02:58 PM
Going from downtown to Arlington to HP and back to Arlington seems a bit redundant, so I'll just go to HP after work and will be there after 7:00 - yellow jacket, blue Surely with random squeak from an unknown location (maybe rear hub, bottom bracket?), large black bag on a rack.

jrenaut
03-19-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm going to stop by after the PAL party and put in 3 hours of laps. :D

With the PAL trailer, I assume.

Dirt
03-19-2015, 03:32 PM
With the PAL trailer, I assume.
Nah. I'm actually gonna leave the trailer at home. It would suck to have to cut the evening short if the wind kicks up.

kwarkentien
03-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Since I'm finally feeling better, I'm planning to make an appearance probably after 8 or so.

Harry Meatmotor
03-19-2015, 03:39 PM
[edit] on second thought, I'll be out there at about 5:15-5:30. not sure how many laps I'll do, but I'm in black and red VeloWorks-Spokes ETC kit on a blue Surly, blue backpack. say hi if you see me!

Steve O
03-19-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm planning on being there until the bitter end or at least until the caravan back to Falls Church leaves!

That would be me (and several others, hopefully). Said caravan will depart with the last of the ELITE badasses.

Heading in from home, but will pass right by the PAL party, so if I'm not too late, I will make a pit stop there.

jrenaut
03-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Brownie prep

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/f5ac8ca611ce0e1c7287f1f65eec4138.jpg

Justin Antos
03-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Probably about 40+ riders and lots of snacks out there tonight at around 10pm. We're crazy, you know.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7585/16681443358_a9f55f21b3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rq5KWo)Freezing Saddles Last Night Hains Point Party 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/rq5KWo) by jantos (https://www.flickr.com/people/43757856@N00/), on Flickr

Boomer2U
03-19-2015, 11:30 PM
The toast to the BAFS2015 gran finalehttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/f6c17c048ba4e4346232505a551fec8e.jpg

The final sunset over BAFS2015
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/0400b04812b27d9c3640bdeb9d12c3db.jpg

The last BAFS2015 lap around Hains Point
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/04a2ba8d3d14b7ae76910366d1f534a5.jpg

TimV
03-19-2015, 11:45 PM
That was a lot of fun tonight.
What a great way to end the competition.
Y'all are great!

Steve O
03-20-2015, 12:28 AM
That! was great.

Steve O
03-20-2015, 12:34 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/f6c17c048ba4e4346232505a551fec8e.jpg

Those are your ELITE badasses. (plus Boomer, who took the photo. And special ELITE badassery shout-out to arlingtonrider, who came back! and rode home with the all-time-greatest, late-night convoy)

Raymo853
03-20-2015, 05:46 AM
That was a lot of fun tonight.
What a great way to end the competition.
Y'all are great!

The Hanes Point ride was col enough to make up for all the cold and dark rides earlier in BAFS

Arlingtonrider
03-20-2015, 07:22 AM
That was so much fun! Special thanks to JRenaut for coming up with this awesome idea and bringing the amazing brownies, and to Steve O and SarahB and many others for incredible festivity and generous hospitality.

SarahB, it was so wonderful to see you out there supporting us in such a wonderful way even though you couldn't ride. Thank you so much!!!

Arlingtonrider
03-20-2015, 07:26 AM
For any who may not be aware, Teresa A, in the green jacket on the right, got off a plane from Paris at 5 p.m. yesterday and still managed to join the group at HP and stay til the end! (She's a pretty awesome garage racer too.)

sjclaeys
03-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Though I did the "early" part of the ride, it was a fantastic way to end BAFS. Thanks SarahB for the snacks!

ImaCynic
03-20-2015, 09:11 AM
What a fantastic way to bring BAFS to its rightful conclusion! Great seeing everyone out there and nice to meet folks and teammates beyond just a name in Strava. Want to give a big kudos to SarahB for her SAG idea. It was an instant hit and she has raised the bar for the next FSLNHPP! Thank you SarahB and wishing you a speedy recovery!

vvill
03-20-2015, 10:03 AM
What a fantastic way to bring BAFS to its rightful conclusion! Great seeing everyone out there and nice to meet folks and teammates beyond just a name in Strava. Want to give a big kudos to SarahB for her SAG idea. It was an instant hit and she has raised the bar for the next FSLNHPP! Thank you SarahB and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Yes! The SAG wagon was great, thanks to everyone for the snacks and liquid refreshments.

worktheweb
03-20-2015, 10:04 AM
That was a lot of fun. It was great meeting everyone and I had fun looping around the point 13 times. Thanks to SarahB for the food and drink, having a snack and a gathering place to chat with people in-between laps was great.

Boomer2U
03-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Lost & Found Alert:
If you left a pair of riding glasses @ HP last night, shoot me a PM with what kind of glasses and where you left them, so that they may be reunited with the rightful BAFS2015 bad ass! :-)

CPTJohnC
03-20-2015, 10:07 AM
I enjoyed meeting many of you. I'm only sorry that I bailed early. Except, not really - it was tough getting up for work this AM.

jrenaut
03-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Also thanks to Steve O for the loaned blinkie. Heading out for a ride ending post-midnight is not the ideal time to find that your headlight has died.

wheels&wings
03-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks from me, too. I had a fantastic time riding in circles with y’all. Who knew HP could be such fun? It was a blast.
Huge thanks to Sarah B. The warm welcome on every lap and the bottomless supply of bananas, cookies, and other yummy treats were just amazing. I am still on a high.
Sorry I fled without a proper goodbye. I suddenly got shivery after the toasting, so I knew I’d better start pedaling fast. xoxoxxoxoxxooo w&w

kwarkentien
03-20-2015, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=Boomer2U;111780]The toast to the BAFS2015 gran finalehttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/f6c17c048ba4e4346232505a551fec8e.jpg

Now that was a fun evening! However, I did not enjoy trying to wake up to come to work today. Thank God that BAFS16 will end on a Friday night.

Thanks to everyone who came out and especially to all those who brought yummy vittles to share and to Sarah for being our SAG rendezvous point. Except for SteveO who didn't bring the limoncello that he expressly said he wasn't bringing and that no one was drinking at the point at 11:30 because of course SteveO didn't bring it for us not to drink it. ;)

But I'm noting that I'm not in this picture. Guess my fat ass was still circling when everyone else was celebrating. But my ass and I did have fun! And thanks to the convoy for returning me back to Arlington with nary a boogeyman sighting behind the big scary shitplant. Oh and by the way, I did actually ride all the way up Walter Reed Drive home last night. I think I was so dazed and confused and tired that I forgot I was going to wimp out and walk up it until I was already at my turnoff. Go figure! :cool:

PeteD
03-20-2015, 12:04 PM
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#271019796,6yImEKAvJhA9UyYQtcgmEFX1JhBN/iYQzgMnEAQuJxDWNScQtjYnEE47JxB/PScQbT4nEBhEJxC1SCcQO1EnEFNRJxArWycQmF0nEM5fJxBnbi cQnW4nEPJuJxB6bycQpm8nEAVwJxBBcCcQsXsnEOB7JxChgycQ 75cnELuZJxCaoScQo6EnEFSmJxBbpicQ

Lots 'o fun was had that day.

Mikey
03-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Who else is excited that BAFS 16 is a leap year. I propose the leaping lizard pointless prize for the most miles on Feb 29, 2016!

KayakCyndi
03-20-2015, 12:11 PM
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#271019796,6yImEKAvJhA9UyYQtcgmEFX1JhBN/iYQzgMnEAQuJxDWNScQtjYnEE47JxB/PScQbT4nEBhEJxC1SCcQO1EnEFNRJxArWycQmF0nEM5fJxBnbi cQnW4nEPJuJxB6bycQpm8nEAVwJxBBcCcQsXsnEOB7JxChgycQ 75cnELuZJxCaoScQo6EnEFSmJxBbpicQ

That is AWESOME!

Amalitza
03-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Lost & Found Alert:
If you left a pair of riding glasses @ HP last night, shoot me a PM with what kind of glasses and where you left them, so that they may be reunited with the rightful BAFS2015 bad ass! :-)

If by "riding glasses" you mean "cheap safety glasses from Lowe's" they're mine. Feel free to keep them. I know where I can get more. :)

bikeeveryday
03-20-2015, 12:18 PM
The #Rule9Velo secret laps were done between 9:30 and 11:30 pm last night in this location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stoneybrook+Dr,+Maryland/@39.0162364,-77.0635123,1108m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b7ced39df4cc9f:0x6 1d6a670dcda6f0d

Ride route here: https://www.strava.com/activities/271016317

Good times! Now I am off to vacation in Puerto Rico for a week off the bike.

Steve O
03-20-2015, 12:18 PM
I just did a count on Strava, and there were 34 of us BAFS2015ers (33 riders and one awesome SAG attendant) who participated in FSLNHPP this year. That's 25% of everyone. Quite a turnout. (There were also 7 others who rode HP before dark, but they don't count.)

1/2 of those stayed all the way til the toast. Woo-hoo!

Steve O
03-20-2015, 12:25 PM

Or this:
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#271033947,Tf4mEM4DJxAELicQ1jUnELY2JxBOOycQfz0nEBh EJxC1SCcQO1EnEFNRJxArWycQmF0nEM5fJxBnbicQnW4nEPJuJ xAUbycQem8nEKZvJxAFcCcQQXAnELF7JxDgeycQoYMnEMuXJxD vlycQtJknELuZJxCaoScQo6EnEA==

You can see the toast happen at about 3:50

cvcalhoun
03-20-2015, 12:27 PM
I just did a count on Strava, and there were 34 of us BAFS15ers (33 riders and one awesome SAG attendant) who participated in FSLNHPP this year. That's 25% of everyone. Quite a turnout. (There were also 7 others who rode HP before dark, but they don't count.)

1/2 of those stayed all the way til the toast. Woo-hoo!

Far from the small but intrepid crew we had last year! I even made it to the toast this year, unlike last year when I biked from Bethesda, took one ceremonial lap around Hains Point, and took off again for Bethesda so I could make it before midnight.

cvcalhoun
03-20-2015, 12:34 PM
I enjoyed meeting many of you. I'm only sorry that I bailed early. Except, not really - it was tough getting up for work this AM.

I was glad to get a chance to meet you and do a lap with you, anyway.

GB
03-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Or this:
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#271033947,Tf4mEM4DJxAELicQ1jUnELY2JxBOOycQfz0nEBh EJxC1SCcQO1EnEFNRJxArWycQmF0nEM5fJxBnbicQnW4nEPJuJ xAUbycQem8nEKZvJxAFcCcQQXAnELF7JxDgeycQoYMnEMuXJxD vlycQtJknELuZJxCaoScQo6EnEA==

You can see the toast happen at about 3:50

That's pretty awesome.

CPTJohnC
03-20-2015, 01:42 PM
that is pretty cool.

consularrider
03-20-2015, 02:14 PM
My Flyby (http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#271030255) from last night up until the Garmin was reset after the toast.