PDA

View Full Version : && Calling all riders (AKA Team 11)

KayakCyndi
01-10-2015, 07:09 AM
Team &, it is time to get busy. There is a competition to be won and more importantly a team name to be changed!

Here is the team list:

AMPERSAND: Team Eleven:
Greenbelt (captain)
Dickie
kwarkentien
CPTJohnC
creadinger
GuyContinental
KayakCyndi
KelOnWheels
Mikey
thavaradhara

So any creative types who wanna propose a name change?

WSGFABR!

kwarkentien
01-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Maybe we should come up with a name with the "&" prominently featured, something like "Sun & Snow & Sleaze." That one's not that good but it was the first thing that came to mind being the reigning Queen of Sleaze and all. :cool:

creadinger
01-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Woo hoo! My lucky number.

Mikey
01-10-2015, 09:09 AM
How about " SNOWBALL IN HE 11"

creadinger
01-10-2015, 11:03 AM
How about " SNOWBALL IN HE 11"

The 11 as double ll's works well.

"He11's Snow Angels"?

I'm good with whatever.

Mikey
01-10-2015, 12:10 PM
I was thinking Snowba11 ln He11 is our chance of winning this thing ;). If you want I can create the strava club then post a link to join it here

Mikey
01-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Join herehttp://www.strava.com/clubs/121157

CPTJohnC
01-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Could combine the two into "He11's Snowbe11s" but that sounds a little soft, if you're looking for a name that implies crusty toughness. Whatever our name is, I'm glad you'll have me as a part of the team, despite my sleazy tendencies...not that anyone gave you a choice...

Mikey
01-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Go ahead and join the club, we can always change the name.later

Dickie
01-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Just wanted you all to know that I asked Amy a few days ago to remove me from the competition due to suffering from Vertigo. My miles will be really low for the next few weeks and I didn't want to hurt the team. I will join the Strava site but I'm not sure if I'll be replaced or not.

KayakCyndi
01-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Just wanted you all to know that I asked Amy a few days ago to remove me from the competition due to suffering from Vertigo. My miles will be really low for the next few weeks and I didn't want to hurt the team. I will join the Strava site but I'm not sure if I'll be replaced or not.

Oh no dickie! First, majorly bummed to hear about the Vertigo. That can't combine well with cycling. Second, I didn't see anyone other than you out riding this morning so maybe you are an the mend???

kwarkentien
01-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Dickie,
That's horrible news. Hope you're back to tip-top soon.

On another note, I found these images on the interwebs that could be useful if we stick with the current team name:

Dickie
01-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I ignored the doc and tried riding yesterday and today. Felt OK, but had dizzy spells... not sure how much I should push it. This typically happens to me once or twice a year and is usually associated with bad sinus infections, so hopefully it will pass soon.... we'll just have to see what Amy decides to do with me. Bummed...

Amalitza
01-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Up to you. I have 8 or 9 late registrants depending on if Mary decides to stick with slackers or join a real team. I'll work w/ captains to divvy them up fairly based on whatever holes exist in teams by Monday or Tuesday. Either way I will work with it.

bikenurse
01-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Crosspost from Strava, if anybody wants to meetup for a ride tomorrow...

Sunday Jan 11 rideabout? Looks like tomorrow's going to be a nice day. I know many team members are in VA, but if anyone wants to go riding in MD, I'll be going for a rideabout from my house out into the Beltsville farms tomorrow morning at 9:30am. Distance and pace unknown but probably at least a couple hours, with stopoffs back home for snacks, warmup etc. Monday weather looks blah, so I'll probably put some miles in tomorrow and then rest on Monday. Location is Greenbelt Elementary School -Jeff

Oops I accidentally sent this from my wife's login, but this is Greenbelt actually

Greenbelt
01-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Dickie I think you should feel welcome to stay on. we'd love to keep you unless you feel like the team thing might press you to ride when you shouldn't. Hope your inner gyro resets soon. Or something. Jeff

Mikey
01-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Dickie, you should stay, it's a long winter, and you can catch up if you feel up to it. That way Snowba11 in He11 can rule FCII. We may need to call it FC11.

And for everyone else I'm Mikey. This is my third FS. And i'm in charge of the side bets, which come out about every 2 weeks or so. I live in Fairfax, and work at the Navy Yard. I have 3 boys aged 9,7,5, and my wife Keow a.k.a thavaradhara is also on our team. We coach soccer on the weekends so most of our rides are commutes.

eel free to introduce yourself, and we need to get our last 2 signed up for the team.

Dickie
01-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. I will ask Amy to keep my on board and hopefully I'll be riding like normal again soon. On that note I went ahead and ordered some new studs which are set to arrive this week. This should guarantee that we have no more snow until March 20th.

bikenurse
01-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Your fearless captain working hard at putting in the miles today. Now that's dedication!7421

Rod Smith
01-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Laurie, there's a thing called beer tag. If you tag a fallen rider before he or she gets back up and say "beer tag" the fallen rider must buy you a beer.

Dickie, I get dizzy spells all the time. Nothing to worry about. The gyroscopic effect of your wheels will keep you upright. Or else "Beer tag!".

GuyContinental
01-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Dismal showing on my part so far- in Canada and completely bikeless through next Tuesday! (Even if I did have a bike, there is 3' of snow on the ground- which I suppose wouldn't be an excuse if I DID have a bike. But I don't). Not the way I wanted to start out... Sorry guys.

KayakCyndi
01-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Your fearless captain working hard at putting in the miles today. Now that's dedication!7421

Just as long as no riders were hurt during the taking of this picture!

KayakCyndi
01-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Dismal showing on my part so far- in Canada and completely bikeless through next Tuesday! (Even if I did have a bike, there is 3' of snow on the ground- which I suppose wouldn't be an excuse if I DID have a bike. But I don't). Not the way I wanted to start out... Sorry guys.

Are you skiing somewhere fabulous? If so all is forgiven assuming you come back and log some serious miles!

Mikey
01-11-2015, 07:03 PM
KayakCyndi, we may need to plan a lunch ride this week to make some steals.

Greenbelt
01-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Just as long as no riders were hurt during the taking of this picture!

Hurt laughing maybe

KayakCyndi
01-11-2015, 07:41 PM
KayakCyndi, we may need to plan a lunch ride this week to make some steals.

Absolutely, not tomorrow but the rest of the week looks good. I'll check my work schedule tomorrow. everyone else do the same!

GuyContinental
01-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Are you skiing somewhere fabulous? If so all is forgiven assuming you come back and log some serious miles!

Actually I'm working with a view of fabulous skiing (Whistler). Seriously doubt that I'll have time to hit the slopes... le sigh.

KelOnWheels
01-14-2015, 03:34 PM
On that note I went ahead and ordered some new studs which are set to arrive this week. This should guarantee that we have no more snow until March 20th.

I just ordered some too, get your shorts and sunglasses out! :cool:

Now if I can just manage to not: a) get sick b) be really tired and over/undersleep c) have any friends moving house d) throw out my back e) fall down stairs for the next week or so, I might actually get on a bike and ride somewhere :P

Greenbelt
01-15-2015, 09:32 AM
This morning was one of those where FS was a good motivation. Slept late, normally would have schlepped over to Metro and taken the day off.

But it turned out to be an awesome commute, fast, no wind, not too cold. Lots of bird sightings along the river, not too much traffic in DC.

Plus last night I rode right past of pair of very fluffed out red foxes on the trail.

I love my commute.

Mikey
01-15-2015, 09:39 AM
KayakCyndi and I were having that same conversation on Tuesday morning, when we were out capturing flags. It when something like this.

If you asked the average Washington Commuter what they did on their commute that day you would probably get, "I sat on the Beltway for an hour", I missed my train, Metro was late/broken/scary, I got cut off on 395, etc. Our response was "I got to do a bike/photo scavenger hunt, and ask random tourists to take my photo."

Greenbelt
01-16-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm doing two rides in MD tomorrow if anybody's interested. Should be a nice day; meetup at Proteus. -Jeff

Weather looks good (light winds), so I'm taking two rides tomorrow:
12pm noon -- our regular 20-25miles farms road ride, intermediate pace, no drop.
2pm -- a short and easy late lunch ride down to Board and Brew in College Park. (bring a lock).
All are welcome to join me on these rides, and I'll show you around our beautiful farms riding area and how to use the trails to get to lunch in mid-town College Park. -Jeff
http://www.theboardandbrew.com/

kwarkentien
01-16-2015, 06:59 PM
I'll be doing the Port City Brewing Pedal & Pints ride tomorrow. Leaving from the Shirlington Library at 10am with various other BAFS15 riders if anyone wants to join us.

Dickie
01-17-2015, 10:18 AM
I'm doing two rides in MD tomorrow if anybody's interested. Should be a nice day; meetup at Proteus. -Jeff

Thanks for putting this together capt, unfortunately I'm working but I'll get my miles in too and from.

Greenbelt
01-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Couple rides going out tomorrow (MLK monday). Phill and Millie from the dreaded team Maryland are doing a 40 mile ride with teammates from Proteus to Rock Creek park, then down to DC then back. Meetup at 10am at the shop. No drop, but be self-sufficient for a long ride. Probably out for 4 hours or more.

I'm going to bike/hike over at Greenbelt National Park tomorrow, starting also at 10am. Not many miles, MTB req and hiking boots (bikes are restricted on the single track, so I'll be locking up and hiking some). Probably out for 3 or 4 hours on and off the bike if anyone's looking for an unusual diversion. Basically I want to check out how accessible the fire roads are, and also hike some of the perimeter trail and look for erosion control issues etc. Hoping someday they will let MORE build a MTB loop there or allow certain sections of the current perimeter trail to be used for MTB (probably beginner level). -Jeff

Mikey
01-21-2015, 05:39 AM
Dickie, I accidentally dropped you from the team, can you go back into Strahan and rejoin.

creadinger
01-21-2015, 11:05 AM
On Saturday DCRand is running their annual 100K Populaire ride if anyone is interested. It starts in Glen Echo, MD. I plan on doing it, but the current weather forecast is looming with possible rain/snow. Not good. I did both November and December 200K rides in all day rain, and I'm kinda tired of it.

The ride is free to participate, but it's requested that you pre-register, so they know how many to expect and how many post-ride snacks to bring. If you've been interested in doing more long distance riding then this could be the ride + meeting for you. There will be lots of discussion about the upcoming PBP 1200K this year, which is kinda like the World Cup for randonneurs.

Here's an info link.
http://dcrand.org/blog/2014/12/29/2015-glen-echo-populaire-january-24th-9am/

Greenbelt
01-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Sadly I've got a bad cold this week and won't be riding much. Felt it coming on a bit on Saturday night, but then still went bushwhacking on the MTB Sunday, probably not the wisest decision, but it was a lot of fun. I think I'll take a MTB snow sleaze ride in the backyard, get a hot shower, and go back to sleep... #lousyteammate

creadinger
01-21-2015, 11:15 AM
On Saturday DCRand is running their annual 100K Populaire ride if anyone is interested. It starts in Glen Echo, MD. I plan on doing it, but the current weather forecast is looming with possible rain/snow. Not good. I did both November and December 200K rides in all day rain, and I'm kinda tired of it.

The ride is free to participate, but it's requested that you pre-register, so they know how many to expect and how many post-ride snacks to bring. If you've been interested in doing more long distance riding then this could be the ride + meeting for you. There will be lots of discussion about the upcoming PBP 1200K this year, which is kinda like the World Cup for randonneurs.

Here's an info link.
http://dcrand.org/blog/2014/12/29/2015-glen-echo-populaire-january-24th-9am/

While, this ride is free.... To participate, I think you'd have to join the DC Randonneurs club, which is $10 for the year. Once you've joined you can do all of the other club rides, like 200, 300, 400, and 600K rides for very nominal fees.

It's a small price to pay.

KayakCyndi
01-21-2015, 11:50 AM
While, this ride is free.... To participate, I think you'd have to join the DC Randonneurs club, which is $10 for the year. Once you've joined you can do all of the other club rides, like 200, 300, 400, and 600K rides for very nominal fees.

It's a small price to pay.

Creadinger, think you can manage to squeeze in a 600K before March 20th??

creadinger
01-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Creadinger, think you can manage to squeeze in a 600K before March 20th??

Haha! No, unfortunately. My goal this year is a 300, and maybe a 400, depending on if I want to kill myself during the 300s or not. Those don't happen until April-May though.

We need to get Kurt Searvogel on our team. He's one of the guys attempting to break the 75,000 miles in a year record set back in the 30's. That's 205 miles/day! That would be one hell of a sleaze ride.

Greenbelt
01-24-2015, 09:36 PM
I'm feeling a bit better, so going to do my usual Sunday loop in the backyard tomorrow I think. Meetup at Proteus at noon if you'd like to join me! Possibly a food stop in Old Greenbelt on the way back. -Jeff
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3020743

kwarkentien
01-25-2015, 06:34 AM
Sounds interesting. I might join you if I can figure out where Proteus is and how to get there from Arlington.

Dickie
01-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Looks like my vertigo has finally passed and the dizzy spells are mostly overů time to get serious and put in some miles. Hopefully I'll be contributing properly soon enough.. thanks team for keeping me on board!

kwarkentien
01-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Great news Dickie!

KayakCyndi
01-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Looks like my vertigo has finally passed and the dizzy spells are mostly overů time to get serious and put in some miles. Hopefully I'll be contributing properly soon enough.. thanks team for keeping me on board!

Excellent! I'll look forward to our low-5s!

KelOnWheels
01-26-2015, 06:27 AM
Have you guys kicked me off the team yet? If I can actually stay well and uninjured for more than 5 minutes I promise I will go for a bike ride! :mad: :(

GuyContinental
01-26-2015, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that my family thinks I'm crazy- at about 5:30, they charged in the door en-masse, I immediately announced that I MUST SLEAZE and charged out the door. It's dark, I'm wearing street clothes, road shoes and a BA pant leg cuff and <hangs head in shame> no headlight OR helmet, I run out into the sleet, and very nearly get creamed by a car running a stop sign in my neighborhood. I get home, we and sorta pumped from my brush with Darwin and realize that I only managed .9 miles... so off I go for another loop. 11pts. Booyah. Yea FS! Look out Snowballs, I'm eyeing 8th place!

dkel
01-26-2015, 06:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that my family thinks I'm crazy- at about 5:30, they charged in the door en-masse, I immediately announced that I MUST SLEAZE and charged out the door. It's dark, I'm wearing street clothes, road shoes and a BA pant leg cuff and <hangs head in shame> no headlight OR helmet, I run out into the sleet, and very nearly get creamed by a car running a stop sign in my neighborhood. I get home, we and sorta pumped from my brush with Darwin and realize that I only managed .9 miles... so off I go for another loop. 11pts. Booyah. Yea FS! Look out Snowballs, I'm eyeing 8th place!

You're an idiot. #justliketherestofus #soproud!

Mikey
01-26-2015, 06:57 PM
You're an idiot. #justliketherestofus #soproud!

Yes, but you are our idiot.

Greenbelt
01-26-2015, 08:21 PM
We got a new guy! (Not sure if guy, actually, but we'll see...)

krazygl00, Strava 356612 Krazy Gl00

KelOnWheels
01-27-2015, 06:38 AM
We got a new guy! (Not sure if guy, actually, but we'll see...)

krazygl00, Strava 356612 Krazy Gl00

Well unless he's changed since the last time I saw him... :D

Greenbelt
01-29-2015, 09:40 AM
In spite of our slackeries and illnesses, we're only a few points behind the dreaded Maryland Inquisition. I think we can out-sleaze them for sure.

Dickie
01-29-2015, 11:57 AM
In spite of our slackeries and illnesses, we're only a few points behind the dreaded Maryland Inquisition. I think we can out-sleaze them for sure.
Oh, I'm on it!… and what did the Python boys say about the Maryland Inquisition?…. oh wait.

Greenbelt
02-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Kurt M: 1,232 points (34 days, 892 miles)
Cyndi J: 1,232 points (34 days, 892 miles)

kwarkentien
02-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Kurt and Cyndi, that's awesome. Go Snowba11s!!!

KayakCyndi
02-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Kurt M: 1,232 points (34 days, 892 miles)
Cyndi J: 1,232 points (34 days, 892 miles)

Shhhh .... I was trying to sneak up on him!

vvill
02-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Shhhh .... I was trying to sneak up on him!

Elevation is almost the same too! Looks cool on the Individual Distance, Elevation, Speed graph.

ShawnoftheDread
02-03-2015, 07:15 PM
shhhh .... I was trying to sneak up on him!

KARMA! So there.

Greenbelt
02-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Team 4: Bollard Busters BAFS2015: 7,884 points (4,674 miles)

SNOWBA11 IN HE11 -BAFS15: 7,884 points (4,674 miles)

Steve O
02-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Team 4: Bollard Busters BAFS2015: 7,884 points (4,674 miles)

SNOWBA11 IN HE11 -BAFS15: 7,884 points (4,674 miles)

Yeah. Then you had to go post your ride. Jerk.

Greenbelt
02-27-2015, 09:15 PM
We are only 100 points ahead of the dreaded MD Inq!

SNOWBA11 IN HE11 -BAFS15: 10,384 points (6,024 miles)
♠︎ The Maryland Inquisition: 10,284 points (5,884 miles)

And I have good information from secret sources that Eric's doing another 150 miler tomorrow...

Greenbelt
03-02-2015, 05:15 PM
From the Group Ride thread. Note, this ride with probably have a couple of the dreaded MD Inquisition along, so please take appropriate counter-measures.

I'm thinking about taking a lunch ride up to Bmore on Sunday March 8, leaving Proteus at 9am (note that's 8am for people who didn't put their clocks ahead the night before for daylight savings time). Lunch at the museum (has a nice cafe-restaurant) and return probably by about 3pm. 67 miles, quite a few small punchy hills, moderate pace (14mph-ish). Usually take a 10 minute stop to get snacks and drinks halfway there and halfway back. Will need a lock for when we're at the museum. All are welcome. Follow www.facebook.com/proteusbicycles for last minute or weather related updates. This is a really nice ride, mostly out of traffic and surprisingly scenic. -Jeff
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2449007

CPTJohnC
03-04-2015, 12:37 PM
From the Group Ride thread. Note, this ride with probably have a couple of the dreaded MD Inquisition along, so please take appropriate counter-measures.

I'm thinking about taking a lunch ride up to Bmore on Sunday March 8, leaving Proteus at 9am (note that's 8am for people who didn't put their clocks ahead the night before for daylight savings time). Lunch at the museum (has a nice cafe-restaurant) and return probably by about 3pm. 67 miles, quite a few small punchy hills, moderate pace (14mph-ish). Usually take a 10 minute stop to get snacks and drinks halfway there and halfway back. Will need a lock for when we're at the museum. All are welcome. Follow www.facebook.com/proteusbicycles for last minute or weather related updates. This is a really nice ride, mostly out of traffic and surprisingly scenic. -Jeff

I can't do the 8th, but I just posted to a Strava discussion, so forgive the duplication: In addition to the House of Sweden/WABA sponsored VASA ride that I'm a marshal for on Sunday the 15th, there's the Pi Day ride on 3/14. Anyone game to do either? I'm planning to do both.

ShawnoftheDread
03-04-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm registered for Vasa.

Mtansill
03-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Greenbelt! Our gratitude goes to you for scheduling this ride for the Maryland Inquisition. We will send the check in the mail. ;)