PDA

View Full Version : ◊◊'s Team #9

cyclingfool
01-10-2015, 01:35 AM
I had to pass on happy hour, but I was excited to see the team listings. Pleasure to be on a team with all of you!

I took a few minutes (OK, so maybe it was like an hour and a half), but I monkeyed around in GIMP (pun intended) and threw together a team logo/avatar based on white diamonds (wherever that came from) and the number 9. I was mostly just looking for an excuse to play with GIMP at midnight on a Friday, so I won't be offended in the least if we don't use it, but I thought it could be fun.

Cheers and happy pedaling!

pdubs
01-10-2015, 07:34 AM
I'm very happy to be on this team. 9 is my favorite number, so I like our chances. I didn't make the happy hour last night either, but if we have any team happy hour or meet ups I should be able to make it.

I'm new to the forums as this is my first post but will try to stay involved in the discussions. Also, this is my first freezing saddles, but so far I'm really enjoying the motivation to get out there and ride. Can't wait to meet everyone!

lordofthemark
01-10-2015, 08:41 AM
There were three of us at happy hour. Consularrider, Averagejo, and myself. I have selfies to post (here?).We did no strategizing.

I am new to FS but not to the forum. I have been commuting from Alexandria to D.C. about once a week since August plus a few other rides and have already found FS motivating me to keep my riding up through the winter.

lordofthemark
01-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Team name - How about Revolution Number 9 ?

Sherriancel
01-10-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm cool with the logo and team name. I got three rides in today. Not happy with Strava though. It dropped on my second ride. My third ride wouldn't load and it was my longest! I kept getting error messages. I will log the miles in manually but that pisses me off..sorry for the rant. I usually use Toad Cycle or Map My Ride.
I live in West Hyattsville, bike to work everyday (except icy conditions)...well, almost everywhere I go since I don't own a car.
I hope to meet you all soon.
Sherriancel

jongon
01-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Please join! https://www.strava.com/clubs/121205

americancyclo
01-10-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm cool with the logo and team name. I got three rides in today. Not happy with Strava though. It dropped on my second ride. My third ride wouldn't load and it was my longest! I kept getting error messages. I will log the miles in manually but that pisses me off..sorry for the rant. I usually use Toad Cycle or Map My Ride.
I live in West Hyattsville, bike to work everyday (except icy conditions)...well, almost everywhere I go since I don't own a car.
I hope to meet you all soon.
Sherriancel

There are a few auto syncing services out there (some free) that might work if you don't have better luck with the Strava app or web interface.

jongon
01-10-2015, 08:43 PM
KEN! I accidentally denied your request. Could you send it again?

lordofthemark
01-10-2015, 10:52 PM
KEN! I accidentally denied your request. Could you send it again?

That worked thanks.

jongon
01-11-2015, 02:44 AM
If my calculations are correct we are still missing the following riders:

consularrider
Marlon
averagejo
Kevin O
cyclingfool
sherriancel

Quick sign up here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/121205

Sorry if I sent you a nagging email by accident. I'll be online around noon to accept more people into the club.

cyclingfool
01-11-2015, 10:25 PM
I signed up with the Strava team today. We're still minus a couple people, but, they, like me, may not have seen the info in this thread about the Strava team. Chris Tank mentioned it in comments to me on a Strava ride he'd posted and I commented on, which is the only reason I knew to go sign up. I hadn't been on the forum for a couple days.

cyclingfool
01-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Team name - How about Revolution Number 9 ?

Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 ... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-NwzozflCQ

ctankcycles
01-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone! Just found this thread, sorry for being late to the party. Really looking forward to another winter of Freezing Saddles. And I'm hoping to get together on some rides and going to some happy hours with anyone who's interested. Last year I had a great time and all my team members were awesome but I never actually got out on a group ride or even to a happy hour. I know, I'm a terrible Freezing Saddles participant (in terms of the social aspect). But I'm looking to change all that for 2015. So anyway, I live in Fairlington and commute downtown most days and usually get in longer rides every Saturday and Sunday. Road, gravel, trails, I'm down for whatever. Except mountain biking. Not that I don't love it, when I was in Blacksburg it's all I did (besides go to school occasionally), but I don't have a fully built mtn bike right now.

pdubs
01-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone! Just found this thread, sorry for being late to the party. Really looking forward to another winter of Freezing Saddles. And I'm hoping to get together on some rides and going to some happy hours with anyone who's interested. Last year I had a great time and all my team members were awesome but I never actually got out on a group ride or even to a happy hour. I know, I'm a terrible Freezing Saddles participant (in terms of the social aspect). But I'm looking to change all that for 2015. So anyway, I live in Fairlington and commute downtown most days and usually get in longer rides every Saturday and Sunday. Road, gravel, trails, I'm down for whatever. Except mountain biking. Not that I don't love it, when I was in Blacksburg it's all I did (besides go to school occasionally), but I don't have a fully built mtn bike right now.

Nice, a fellow Hokie

pdubs
01-13-2015, 08:45 AM
We still have a few missing from the our strava team. Jon were you able to contact everyone? Thanks for setting it up.

Do we hava a captain to lead this revolution yet?

jongon
01-13-2015, 11:37 AM
We still have a few missing from the our strava team. Jon were you able to contact everyone? Thanks for setting it up.

Do we hava a captain to lead this revolution yet?

Emails have been sent out. I'll give them til 8 pm to reply before I go to registration czar to talk about subs.

cyclingfool
01-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Nice, a fellow Hokie

As a December 2014 (yep, last month) Masters program grad of the NCR Campus - Alexandria location, that makes three Hokies. :D

(I did undergrad at AU, but we didn't even have a football team, so it's nice to have an alma mater now that does.)

cyclingfool
01-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Emails have been sent out. I'll give them til 8 pm to reply before I go to registration czar to talk about subs.

So, is it safe to say that this is a picture of you, jongon?

http://rs439.pbsrc.com/albums/qq117/nanjowood/Yosemite_El_Capitan.jpg~c200
El Capitan, Yosemite National Park

cyclingfool
01-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Last year I had a great time and all my team members were awesome but I never actually got out on a group ride or even to a happy hour. I know, I'm a terrible Freezing Saddles participant (in terms of the social aspect).

That makes two of us, and now that I'm working three days a week at my primary (now part time) job and as many other days as possible at a second job, I'm guessing my availability for happy hours will be minimal this year, despite my hopes and wishes to the contrary.

You put in some good miles, though. More, certainly, than I'll find time to manage. #SorryIfImAnAnchor

jongon
01-13-2015, 01:08 PM
So, is it safe to say that this is a picture of you, jongon?

http://rs439.pbsrc.com/albums/qq117/nanjowood/Yosemite_El_Capitan.jpg~c200
El Capitan, Yosemite National Park

Actually, this is more of what I look like.

lordofthemark
01-13-2015, 07:34 PM

I live right across King Street from you. Though I am not a Hokie.

cyclingfool
01-13-2015, 08:09 PM
I live right across King Street from you. Though I am not a Hokie.

You don't seem to be syncing up on the BAFS site either. Maybe you're already working on this, and El Capitan is "harassing" people. In any case, we only have 7 riders synced up so far.

Chris Ra: 502 points (12 days, 382 miles)
Chris T: 326 points (11 days, 216 miles)
Nick W: 279 points (13 days, 149 miles)
Jona E: 256 points (11 days, 146 miles)
Jon G: 214 points (13 days, 84 miles)
Eric We: 180 points (10 days, 80 miles)
Ken N: 93 points (6 days, 33 miles)

We'll be solidly middle of the pack if we get another couple riders' miles added onto our total, since other teams around us have 9 riders contributing miles on the site.

lordofthemark
01-13-2015, 08:17 PM
You don't seem to be syncing up on the BAFS site either. Maybe you're already working on this, and El Capitan is "harassing" people. In any case, we only have 7 riders synced up so far.

Chris Ra: 502 points (12 days, 382 miles)
Chris T: 326 points (11 days, 216 miles)
Nick W: 279 points (13 days, 149 miles)
Jona E: 256 points (11 days, 146 miles)
Jon G: 214 points (13 days, 84 miles)
Eric We: 180 points (10 days, 80 miles)
Ken N: 93 points (6 days, 33 miles)

We'll be solidly middle of the pack if we get another couple riders' miles added onto our total, since other teams around us have 9 riders contributing miles on the site.

I am Ken N.

jongon
01-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Good News: We are now 8 strong on the strava club
Bad News: 8th person not synced up on leaderboard...I'll get to the bottom of this today.

Join me Monday night at the Science Club at 1136 19th Street NW for a team happy hour at 6 pm. I noticed several members work not to far away from there so hopefully several of us can meet up and talk strategy. If you can like (or elite...whatever works for me) this post to confirm your attendance I can get a nice headcount.

Side Note: Even though we are 3 team members short on the FS Leaderboard, we are within 100 points of the 7th placed team. You guys are seriously rocking it.

cyclingfool
01-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Bad News: 8th person not synced up on leaderboard...I'll get to the bottom of this today.

Join me Monday night at the Science Club at 1136 19th Street NW for a team happy hour at 6 pm. I noticed several members work not to far away from there so hopefully several of us can meet up and talk strategy. If you can like (or elite...whatever works for me) this post to confirm your attendance I can get a nice headcount.

Side Note: Even though we are 3 team members short on the FS Leaderboard, we are within 100 points of the 7th placed team. You guys are seriously rocking it.

Like for message content. We are rocking it. Glad we picked up an 8th on the Strava page. Welcome, Kevin O!

I'm a no-go on happy hour, though. I do work in the area, but I'm only working Tues-Thurs these days anyway. Plus, with a little kid at home and a another part-time job starting the end of this week, I'm usually in a rush to get home or (potentially) to my other gig ASAP after I leave here. Thanks for trying to organize something, though! Hope others can make it.

pdubs
01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
I'll be at the happy hour.

We added another to the strava team. Welcome to the team MK T.

I'm jealous of everyone that got to commute this morning during the snow. I was forced to drive the last three days, but I'll be back on the bike tomorrow to rack up some more miles for the team.

ctankcycles
01-15-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm planning to be at the happy hour as well. Thanks for arranging, Jon! So now we have 10 team members in the Strava group but only 8 are showing on the leaderboard. Kevin hasn't ridden since 12/12/14 (according to Strava) so it makes sense that he's not showing up but what about Sherri?

pdubs
01-16-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure if anyone is planning to ride tomorrow, but I am riding out to Old Ox Brewery located on the W&OD at mile post 25, and anyone is welcome to join if they want. They open at 11am so thats my arrival goal.

I also will be getting coffee beforehand either in Arlington or Shirlington. If anyone wants to join, my plans are flexible. Just let me know when and what place you prefer for coffee.

ctankcycles
01-16-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure if anyone is planning to ride tomorrow, but I am riding out to Old Ox Brewery located on the W&OD at mile post 25, and anyone is welcome to join if they want. They open at 11am so thats my arrival goal.

I also will be getting coffee beforehand either in Arlington or Shirlington. If anyone wants to join, my plans are flexible. Just let me know when and what place you prefer for coffee.

Bikes? Beer? Yes, count me in. I'm right up the hill from Shirlington so if you're cool with meeting there (Best Buns?) that works for me. Around 9:00 am sound about right? Let me know what kind of bike you're planning to ride so I can plan accordingly.

pdubs
01-16-2015, 03:07 PM
9 works. I'll be riding my main commute bike, a bianchi volpe. I have 37's on it right now, and I will be bringing at least one pannier. So along with my tired legs, I wouldnt plan on me going very fast tomorrow.

ctankcycles
01-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Hey that works, I'll ride my Soma Double Cross which has 32c with fenders. I'll probably bring an empty growler in my rando bag.

consularrider
01-16-2015, 04:51 PM

Well, I'll be leading a group from Shirlington to Port City Brewing for their January ride. I plan to get to Shirlington by 9:30 to grab a coffee and croissant at Best Buns before we head out at 10.

pdubs
01-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Sounds like we'll see you there. Might not stick around until 10, but extra caffeine always boosts the legs

cyclingfool
01-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Can't do any of these fun rides, but I'm all orientated for a new post time job as of today, which means more commuting days and miles, including the next three days. On top of all that my ride is from Del Ray to Clarendon, which means i actually get to climb on one of my commutes now. I've previously had an embarrassingly flat commute which often got calculated as zero feet of gain by Strava.

Which is to say... hooray for team contributions. :)

consularrider
01-19-2015, 04:23 PM

Is this still on for tonight?

pdubs
01-19-2015, 04:39 PM
I think so. I know Chris t and I will be there.

jongon
01-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Is this still on for tonight?

Yes! I'm running about 30 mins late, sorry guys. But it's still happening.

consularrider
01-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Ok, I'm getting ready to head over from Arlington.

jongon
01-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Really sorry about this, but I'm running even later than anticipated. I'm not gunna be able to make it. :( I'll make it up to everyone by buying the first round at the next HH

pdubs
01-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Place is closed anyways. Went to black rooster on L between 19th and 20th

pdubs
01-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Place is closed anyways. Went to black rooster on L between 19th and 20th

Sorry right around the corner from science club

consularrider
01-19-2015, 09:23 PM
I got to the closed Science Club about 6:20. Since I don't have a smart phone, I didn't see the messages about the new location until I got back home. Better luck next time. :(

ctankcycles
01-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Hey Chris, we were out in front of Science Club for a while and it looks like we just missed you before heading to Black Rooster. We should exchange numbers so we can coordinate better next time. Since today was kind of a bust (although Nick, Jen and I had a great time!) how about we give it another shot on Thursday at St. Arnold's on Jefferson (just south of Dupont between Connecticut and 19th)? Good Belgian beer selection and happy hour mussels.

averagejo
01-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Hi Team 9:

I'm a newbie to the forum so I apologize if I don't answer or seem uninterested, quite the contrary, I'm super interested. Holler if another Happy Hour materializes I wanna join in! I'm happy to give yall my cell phone or email since I often forget to check this forum. Trying to be better!

Jona.

ctankcycles
01-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, Kevin O has joined our Strava group and is putting in miles but he's not showing up. We're currently the only team besides the Slackers without 10 members. What does Kevin need to do to authorize BAFS to link to his Strava account and how can we notify him?

ctankcycles
01-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Hey guys, Kevin O has joined our Strava group and is putting in miles but he's not showing up. We're currently the only team besides the Slackers without 10 members. What does Kevin need to do to authorize BAFS to link to his Strava account and how can we notify him?

Okay, I figured it out. I sent him the "authorize" link in the comments of his most recent ride on Strava. Hopefully he'll follow through.

pdubs
01-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Right now we are barely in seventh place. Maybe once Kevin shows up on the leaderboard, we will move up another spot. We are already sixth in total miles, but we haven't ridden as many days.

Let's keep riding as many days as possible, even if it's only 1 mile, so that we can get the easy 11 points.

Thursday this week would be real tough for me to make happy hour, but I'm free for the next 8 days except this Sunday. Mussels sound delicious though

consularrider
01-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Hey Chris, we were out in front of Science Club for a while and it looks like we just missed you before heading to Black Rooster. We should exchange numbers so we can coordinate better next time. Since today was kind of a bust (although Nick, Jen and I had a great time!) how about we give it another shot on Thursday at St. Arnold's on Jefferson (just south of Dupont between Connecticut and 19th)? Good Belgian beer selection and happy hour mussels.

I'll try and make it this evening. What time are you planning to get there? I'll send you a private message with my cell phone number.

consularrider
01-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Did one of you leave me a voicemail on my cell phone? Unfortunately I can't retrieve it.

ctankcycles
01-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone, Chris and I are meeting for a drink at St. Arnold's on Jefferson around 6:00 if anyone else is able to make it. If not, no worries, we'll arrange another HH soon.

jongon
01-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Fun Fact: As of Sunday morning at 10:30 am we are in 4th place! WOOOOOOOO! consularrider is currently in 1st place with individual points! *round of applause*

jongon
01-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Third place! Guys, you're amazing. Please join me this Wednesday for happy hour at 100 montaditos at yards park. Intersection of tingey and 4th street SE at 6 pm.

consularrider
01-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Third place! Guys, you're amazing. Please join me this Wednesday for happy hour at 100 montaditos at yards park. Intersection of tingey and 4th street SE at 6 pm.

See you there.

pdubs
01-27-2015, 09:29 AM
I'll be there too

consularrider
01-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Sorry, looks like I can't make this after all.

jongon
01-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Sorry, looks like I can't make this after all.

That's ok. Hopefully next time!

cyclingfool
01-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Nice job, guys! I'm fresh back from a week with in-laws in California sans velo, but I'm back at it today and have weekend commuting duty ahead, so I'll stop slacking and finally start pulling my weight around here again!

Roll on, niners!

ctankcycles
01-28-2015, 06:36 PM
That's ok. Hopefully next time!

In Houston for work, otherwise I'd be there. Have fun, looking forward to the next one!

lordofthemark
01-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Nice meeting Jon and Nick at 100 Montaditos.

jongon
01-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys for hanging out tonight! Here is a pic of my ride home tonight for your viewing pleasure. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/28/36fd1aa536a0bc49eed87c6077acac77.jpg

jongon
02-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Hello Friends! Currently in 9th place, but the rankings are so close we can easily jump 3 or 4 spots in the next 48 hours. I would very much like to see you guys tomorrow at 5:30 pm for happy hour at 100 Montaditos (4th & Tingey SE next to Blue Jacket Bar)(two blocks south of Navy Yard Metro) Happy hour includes $3 beers & $9 pitchers of sangria (which pass the Ken test) as well as $1 tiny sandwiches. There is something for everyone, meatlovers, vegetarians, and everyone inbetween.

tl;dr Free beer on Jon tomorrow @ 5:30 pm @ 4th & Tingey SE

consularrider
02-04-2015, 01:33 AM
Hope you had fun, at 5:30 I was changing into riding gear for a toodle up the Hockinghocking Adina Bikeway from Athens to Plains, OH.

jongon
02-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Hope you had fun, at 5:30 I was changing into riding gear for a toodle up the Hockinghocking Adina Bikeway from Athens to Plains, OH.

I saw that ride on Strava. Nice stuff. And the Happy Hour is actually today at 5:30. On the off chance you're back in town. Keep up the great work. You're the number one rider still. Although Eric Williams is not far behind!

ctankcycles
02-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone, Nick and I talked about a happy hour this week on the VA side and settled on Thursday at 6:00 at Heavy Seas Alehouse in Rosslyn. This should be an easy ride over the Key Bridge for DC folks and those commuting home to VA from DC. Hope to see you there!

Steve O
02-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone, Nick and I talked about a happy hour this week on the VA side and settled on Thursday at 6:00 at Heavy Seas Alehouse in Rosslyn. This should be an easy ride over the Key Bridge for DC folks and those commuting home to VA from DC. Hope to see you there!

That's, like, 300 yards from where I work. Seems like a good opportunity to crash another team's party. See ya there.

(As a bonus, Eric, I will bring your long overdue Bicycle Icicle)

consularrider
02-12-2015, 09:58 AM

Is this still on for this evening? Turns out I'm in town after all.

ctankcycles
02-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Is this still on for this evening? Turns out I'm in town after all.

Yes, I'm planning to be there at 6:00 and I know Nick and Steve O will be there.

pdubs
02-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Jon's Birthday is this Monday, the 23rd. Since many people find it hard to celebrate fully on Mondays, we are having a team celebration at Right Proper Brewing ( 624 T Street Northwest, Wash. DC ) near the Shaw metro stop at 12pm on Sunday, the 22nd. Consularrider also suggested we should ride as much distance as Jon will be old. Miles, kilometers, furlongs? Not Sure. And since I dont know how old Jon will be, we better ride a century of something just to cover. I'll let Consularrider work out the ride details. Jon unfortunately cant ride with us beforehand, but he said he will be pleased with a ride in his honor.

Guests are welcome to celebrate, but if you are on another team, I suggest you take metro or work on building up your running stats on strava. And if you like celebrating on Mondays, I think Jon will be celebrating that day too.

consularrider
02-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Jon's Birthday is this Monday, the 23rd. Since many people find it hard to celebrate fully on Mondays, we are having a team celebration at Right Proper Brewing ( 624 T Street Northwest, Wash. DC ) near the Shaw metro stop at 12pm on Sunday, the 22nd. Consularrider also suggested we should ride as much distance as Jon will be old. Miles, kilometers, furlongs? Not Sure. And since I dont know how old Jon will be, we better ride a century of something just to cover. I'll let Consularrider work out the ride details. Jon unfortunately cant ride with us beforehand, but he said he will be pleased with a ride in his honor.

Guests are welcome to celebrate, but if you are on another team, I suggest you take metro or work on building up your running stats on strava. And if you like celebrating on Mondays, I think Jon will be celebrating that day too.

Ok, that is 8.4 miles from my house, which would be 28 km round trip. *Pete Beers may be leading an "iced" coffee ride from Bikenetic at 922 W Broad St in Falls Church. *That would add at least another 4 to 8 km to the ride for me.

consularrider
03-16-2015, 07:20 PM
I'll probably leave the East Falls Church area no later than 8 am. Just heading out the W&OD.