PDA

View Full Version : ♠︎

Brünø Moore
01-09-2015, 11:21 PM
We're calling it as we see it—a spade's a spade, and the fearsome Armada of Prince George is setting forth.

WHAT are our names?
Brünø Moore (captain)
ewilliams0305
sarahybillington
mtansill
bikenurse
historygeek
ramblingrider
ronwalf
TrishN

WHAT is our quest?
To seek the Holy Grail and not freeze our @$$es off in the process.

WHAT is our team Strava site?
Oh, that's just right over here (http://www.strava.com/clubs/thespade)

WHAT is our team name going to be?
I don't know that! (AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!)

Obviously I could go for a bit of a Pythonesque title (Knights Who Say Brrr, [Nobody Expects the] Maryland Inquisition), though something Maryland related (Battle of Bladensburg, jousting/lacrosse reference, terrapin/Testudo joke) or even card/spade themed (I know the suit of swords in tarot is equivalent to our spades—something there, maybe? The Knight of Swords riding headlong forward, without regard to sense or sanity?).

Also, a first team meetup. While many of us attend Proteus potlucks on Thursday nights from 7 until 9 (food! Refreshing Beverages!), I'm always looking for excuses to ride to Vigilante or Franklin's...or anywhere else, for that matter. Ideas?

Onward!

—Cap'n Brünø

ramblingrider
01-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Woot! I'm happy to be on a team with you all! I'll write something more constructive once my brain thaws out.

ramblingrider
01-10-2015, 09:03 AM
I kind of like that as a name! But I also like the succinct, yet powerful name "The Spade." And I like Brünø's other suggestions for names as well. I'm open to any ideas.

Franklin's is my local, so I'm partial to that, but I'm willing to travel to College Park, Mt. Rainier, wherever. I hear tell that there are plans for a happy hour at Meridian Pint in Brookland, so I hope to be there.

historygeek
01-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Hey, all. Nice to virtually meet you.
I'm partial to the Maryland Inquisition, just because it's unexpected.
I would be happy to meet up at Vigilante, or Franklin's, or Meridian Pint (or Brookland Pint, which is actually on my (and I suspect some of your) way home from downtown.
And let me add that I had a stomach bug for the new year! yay! It was so much fun I forgot to bike for a while there. I'm getting back into it, though (I almost said "getting back into gear" but that even made me groan).
And I'll just stop there.
-Christy

Brünø Moore
01-10-2015, 11:30 AM
I kind of like that as a name! But I also like the succinct, yet powerful name "The Spade." And I like Brünø's other suggestions for names as well. I'm open to any ideas.

Franklin's is my local, so I'm partial to that, but I'm willing to travel to College Park, Mt. Rainier, wherever. I hear tell that there are plans for a happy hour at Meridian Pint in Brookland, so I hope to be there.

Wait, which Pint—Meridian or Brookland? I mean, they're not exactly far from one another, but BP doesn't involve riding Irving/the Hospital Motor Speedway.

ramblingrider
01-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Wait, which Pint—Meridian or Brookland? I mean, they're not exactly far from one another, but BP doesn't involve riding Irving/the Hospital Motor Speedway.
Sorry, I meant Brookland. One of my friends will be organizing it.

ramblingrider
01-10-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm partial to the Maryland Inquisition, just because it's unexpected.

I like it too. And probably better than a PG County reference, as we do have one member from Silver Spring.

Brünø Moore
01-10-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm growing more and more partial to the unexpected Maryland Inquisition as time (and miles) go on. If nobody object here in the next few, we can make it so.

bikenurse
01-10-2015, 05:50 PM
1. I like the Maryland Inquisition
2. Brookland Pint. Yes. I like food/beer rides. And after food/beer, then desert. Then after desert, coffee. Anyway... Vigilante, Shortcake, and Zekes for coffee/breakfast; Franklin's, Brookland Pint, Steel Plate, Fishnet, Old Line for food/ beer; consider some brewery runs - I've always wanted to go to Dogfish Head or Port City (those would rack up some miles
3. Bruno - please approve me on the Strava team. Thx!
4. We can always meet up at Proteus for a Pot Luck and a ride.
5. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
6. Have fun - Don't feel pressured to go out when you don't feel well or it's not safe to ride. That being said, let's kick some butt!
--Laurie aka bikenurse

Brünø Moore
01-10-2015, 11:53 PM
—So long as I'm the Grand Inquisitor, there will be pastry, coffee, beer, coffee, ice cream, coffee, pizza, and coffee rides. Perhaps even tea. Training rides out in the BARC are nice and all, but a bit lonely, a bit frostbitten, and the cold/being off form is killing my speed. Moveable feasts? Now there's something I can get behind.

—Eight of us have been approved for membership. Apply, and ye shall be approved.

bikenurse
01-11-2015, 08:21 AM
I know most of the folks on this team, but not all, so I think we should all make introductions. I'm Laurie aka bikenurse formerly mllwhnp which was a mouthful so I changed it. I am a nurse practitioner who rides a bike = bikenurse. I own 5 bikes (2 road, 1 mtb, 1 steel touring/cx, 1 aluminum cx). I use my bikes for transportation and fun and food. I am married to Greenbelt (Jeff) who's on the evil 11th team. We must crush him and his team. I live in Greenbelt and commute to College Park and DC (where I see patients one day/week). I am co-owner of Proteus bicycles in College Park. I have 2 human children, age 28 and 23. My favorite child is my 12 year old Chihuahua, Carmen, who rides in a backpack on the bike and comes to work with me at the bike shop. I'm also a roll model for the WABA Women & Bicycles group.

ramblingrider
01-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Hi, I'm Lisa, aka ramblingrider. I moved to Hyattsville a little over a year ago and am enjoying it here. I am a music librarian and a musician. I mostly ride for transportation, but I am not adverse to riding for food, beer, etc. (That's an understatement, by the way- I love riding for food!) I am not the fastest rider, so I apologize in advance if we do a ride together and you have to wait for me to catch up.

I'm on Twitter if you want to follow me there.

bikenurse
01-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Lisa - what's your instrument?
Don't worry about speed on rides. Most of our rides are pretty relaxed, except when Bruno Moore takes off and gets lost....

ramblingrider
01-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Lisa - what's your instrument?
Don't worry about speed on rides. Most of our rides are pretty relaxed, except when Bruno Moore takes off and gets lost....
My major in college was clarinet, but right now I'm playing Japanese drums (taiko) with a community group, which has been loads of fun.

historygeek
01-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Hi, all, I'm Christy, aka Historygeek. I'm an historian (I know, surprising), and I live in Hyattsville and work at GW (at the Eleanor Roosevelt Papers). I've lived here on and off since 1997 (I did my graduate work at UMD, then moved to Nashville for three years but was able to come back in 2006). I live with a non-biking husband, our semi-biking 5-year-old, and two cats (Fred and Ginger) who have yet to express an opinion on cycling either way. Fred is, however, doing her level best to type this message for me. I mostly bike for transportation, and am dreaming of getting a road bike one of these days so I can do some speedy recreational riding (which I'll probably be able to justify when my son is a little older and I get more opportunities to ride on the weekends). I've been commuting all the way downtown by bike for almost two years, in anything but icy roads, and for six years before that I rode as far as the metro (and for errands and the like).
I am also slow, and asthmatic (one of my main reasons for riding), and ride a hybrid.
When I'm not biking or building lego structures with the aforementioned 5-year-old, I spend a lot of time working on my house and building furniture. While I'm on Women and Bicycles on facebook and a member of WABA, I haven't really been involved in the cycling community.
cheers-
Christy

Mtansill
01-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Oh goody. Introductions. :)

Hi, I'm Millie. I started riding in May, after purchasing a bicycle from Laurie's son, because I live down the hill from Proteus in College Park, MD (and they're cool, of course!). I have a husband who is not nearly enthusiastic about biking as I am, and I have an 8-year-old son who doesn't know how to ride a bike yet. I also have a 70-ish mile roundtrip commute to Springfield, VA working for the federal government five days a week as the sole breadwinner of my family. Needless to say I'm a bit of a weekend warrior, although I try hard to get out during the week because I love competition and biking is my zen.

I would LOVE to get out for any ride that my hybrid will handle. I love trying to pace the guys on their zippy road bikes when I can. I seem to enjoy distance rides more than hilly rides. I enjoy a nice cup of tea, a glass of wine, or hard cider. I don't like COFFEE or BEER (except Lambic), but will tolerate those who do. ;) I enjoy crocheting, cats, reading, and medieval combat with foam weapons. I work better with planned rides that don't go over time too much because the men in my life like me to spend time with me, too. ;)

I look forward to meeting those that I haven't yet, and hopefully doing some group rides to Vigilante or something (they have a nice strong chai and good pastries).

ronwalf
01-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Hi, I'm Ron.

I'm a researcher over at the Naval Research Lab. I'll be competing for the spot of Team Boat Anchor, as my ~45 mile round-trip commute from Greenbelt takes about 3 1/2 hours, limiting the number of days I can bike to work. I started biking as an adult while I was a grad student at UMD. My riding is still mostly transportational, although I love getting the whole family out for weekend rides when the weather permits.

sarahybillington
01-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Sarah and I'm mostly a weekday commuter with a penchant for weekend century rides. I live in Riverdale and have no cats, husbands, nor children, which makes for a lot of cycling time. I work for the Smithsonian as a construction project manager, so I've got a pretty short commute into SW DC. I don't spend much of my time in MD, so I'm looking forward to biking more locally and meeting fellow local cyclists. Nice to meet you all.

Warmly,

Sarah

Brünø Moore
01-12-2015, 01:45 AM
...except when Brünø Moore takes off and gets lost...

I don't know what you're talking about, nor why jongon liked that. I never get lost. Find interesting places I didn't know that I actually wanted to go come to think of it, sure, or explore alternate routes that take in a small amount of extra elevation gain, fine, but lost? I always know exactly where I am—on my bike. How can you be lost when you're right where you mean to be?

Now where was I?

For those of you who haven't met me (and perhaps for those who have), I'm Phill, Grand Inquisitor of the Unexpected Maryland Inquisition AKA Captain of The Spade AKA Collector of Impressive Sounding but Perhaps Pointless Titles. I'm not entirely sure what it is I do right now; over the last year I've worked at an academic publishing house, at Proteus with Laurie, sold handmade wood fired ceramics, wrote practice test questions for test prep companies, and worked as a tutor for high school and college students. One of these days I'll find that mythical steady gig, but that day is not this one.

More importantly, I'm also a crazed cyclist. I mean, I may not be racking up the insane distances (https://www.strava.com/activities/239968841) some people are, but there are other kinds of crazy, no? Along with bikenurse and Greenbelt, I'm on the PGBAC; also (was? will again be? am?) a WABA DC Bike Ambassador (I miss you, Things 1 and 2!); will be getting my race license and will be joining the Cat 5 combine (gulp); am one of the few people I know who not only names their bikes (Marianne and Valentine), but actually uses their names; am a certified coffeeneur, with a patch to prove it and everything; occasionally write about bikey things and urbantransitplanningthings; and have taken the only photo (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10477366_905687413265_2336960470070217042_n.jpg?oh =3afd43b96d2c78b6de9cdeae1053ee72&oe=55239AE9&__gda__=1429521386_f919ae22e8a67dffaf3d952b3b54ab0 4) I can find of the Holy Grail on the whole entire Internet and know how to bike there.

As for ride ideas: well, I think my opinion on coffee and coffeerides is pretty well known. I'm trying to get a regular Prince George's coffee club going at Vigilante, but it seems as if they open a bit too late for most people (8) and/or it's hard to pick a good day to do it on. Another coffeeride I've wanted to do for a while is to Ceremony in Annapolis; we might be able to work in a stop at VeloOrange along the way. There may also be an embassy ride to rack up a couple miles and score us a pointless prize or two, a ride down to the sculpture garden or Navy Yard for ice skating, or just some general exploring. I really kinda am up for whatever, and, with so many of us local, it's easy to meet up and coordinate, even if we end up riding somewhere over in the next county.

I know that many of us already attend Proteus potlucks (7-9 PM every Thursday at Proteus on Route 1); while that may be a good time to meet up and coordinate, especially for those of us who couldn't make it to the Shirlington happy hour, I don't want to assume it works for everyone. If need be, I can ride out to wherever is most convenient and meet up with you/y'all's there!

—Brünø

TrishN
01-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Hello Team! I'm Trish and I live in Mount Rainier. I've done Freezing Saddles twice before, and after fracturing a fibula last February from crashing on some black ice, I swore I would not do it again. So of course here I am.

I'm not too keen on great distances in chilly weather, but I'll try to at least be sleazy.

I've met Laurie, and Lisa, don't know if you recall but we met briefly at the Schuylkill century. I look forward to meeting and doing some (slow) miles with the rest of you!

ramblingrider
01-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Lisa, don't know if you recall but we met briefly at the Schuylkill century. I look forward to meeting and doing some (slow) miles with the rest of you!

I totally remember you, Trish! And I remember being confused briefly, because I knew you lived in MD, but the first time I saw you was in Philadelphia. Looking forward to seeing you again!

sarahybillington
01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Fellow spades, I'm headed to Phoenix for the long weekend and want to squeeze some miles in for the team. Do you have any recommendations of where I can rent, buy, or borrow a folding bike that I can have as a carry-on?

Cheers,
Sarah B

Brünø Moore
01-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Rent—I don't know. Borrow—I don't have a folder, but that doesn't mean one of us doesn't. Buy—we have a few at Proteus, if you want to have a look. Avoid the Whole Issue—Phoenix has a bikeshare system (http://gridbikes.com), though whether it goes where you are or want to be may be another matter entirely.

I'm increasingly surprised where dock-based bikesharing options are popping up; even Oklahoma City and Tulsa (where I grew up and went to school) have systems these days.

ewilliams0305
01-12-2015, 12:13 PM
I've had the privileged of meeting most you at one point or another, (trish I think I met you at hains point Jan 1st with Rod) some of you I've even been on a bike ride with.

I'm relatively new to cycling and even newer to the cycling community. I purchased my first adult bicycle from Proteus about 5 year ago. This summer I discovered a new found joy for bike riding and all things bike related, while on my first tour ride in Cape Cod. Since then I haven't really been able to stop. Those of you that know me already, know I'll ride any distance for a good cup of coffee!

Little about myself... I'm a single parent living and working in silver spring MD. My daughter Kaylee AKA team spade's mascot has been very supportive helping me achieve my long distance cycling goals (!whatever they are!).

I look forward to many cold days ahead with a great team. Hopefully we can organize a social ride soon.

Eric

TrishN
01-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Eric, didn't realize that was you. In that case, hello again!

Brünø Moore
01-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Spoke too early before it included my lunch ride. We are now nine points ahead!

Hmmm...it seems we have a problem—someone else is nine points and one person ahead.

Time to fix this. Back in a bit.

ewilliams0305
01-13-2015, 02:22 PM
I may have a few more tricks up my sleeve...

historygeek
01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
I still have my commute home (and plans to ride in every day this week). It seems like the points shuffle a bit every morning/evening around commuting time.
But really, why do we only have 9 people? All but three of the teams have 10. :(
That said, kudos to you all for having held the lead with only 9 people!! (given my two rounds of sickness in the first two weeks, I know I haven't helped that much. But I'm better (and cleared by the doctor) now!).

Brünø Moore
01-13-2015, 02:35 PM
We might be getting another person—someone who entered late, for instance. Or it might just be a way to try to keep things fair for the other, less generally awesome, teams.

Brünø Moore
01-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Speaking of somebody else, we now have our tenth player—Msalemme—and are now a mere 58 points away from retaking the lead!

Cool factoid: 70% of cyclists on our team are female, compared to 24% nationwide.

bikenurse
01-15-2015, 02:46 PM
\ My daughter Kaylee AKA team spade's mascot has been very supportive helping me achieve my long distance cycling goals (!whatever they are!).
Kaylee rocks - happy to have her as our team mascot!

dasgeh
01-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Little about myself... I'm a single parent living and working in silver spring MD. My daughter Kaylee AKA team spade's mascot has been very supportive helping me achieve my long distance cycling goals (!whatever they are!).

You should bring her to Sunday's Kidical Mass Arlington (kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com)ride. Of course, you should drive there, and only ride the ride, then drive home. ;-)

bikenurse
01-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Speaking of somebody else, we now have our tenth player—Msalemme—and are now a mere 58 points away from retaking the lead!

Cool factoid: 70% of cyclists on our team are female, compared to 24% nationwide.

Welcome to the team Mary!

Brünø Moore
01-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Let it be seen in all its glory.

ShawnoftheDread
01-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Oh, sorry.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/15/aaf556ccbb6083cb639cbd7de7497c9e.jpg

msalemme
01-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Welcome to the team Mary!

Thanks! I enjoyed doing Freezing Saddles last year and hope to get in some nice rides this winter :)

ewilliams0305
01-16-2015, 07:31 PM
You should bring her to Sunday's Kidical Mass Arlington (kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com)ride. Of course, you should drive there, and only ride the ride, then drive home. ;-)

That sounds fun, kid friendly? She ride pretty well and stays nice and straight. Riding on a 700c now days' so she can keep up alot better. Thought about doing DC kidical but I wasn't really comfortable with the city riding.

Can't do this Sunday, bit ill keep an eye on it for the future

dasgeh
01-16-2015, 08:05 PM
That sounds fun, kid friendly? She ride pretty well and stays nice and straight. Riding on a 700c now days' so she can keep up alot better. Thought about doing DC kidical but I wasn't really comfortable with the city riding.

Can't do this Sunday, bit ill keep an eye on it for the future
The rides are designed for parents with kids on their bikes and kids (new to riding) on their own bikes. Kids who have been riding for a while get a little bored, but usually treats/play at the beginning/end make it worth it. Our rides are 3-5 miles, super flat, super safe. KM DC is similar, so I wouldn't worry about the city riding aspect (though I think parking is usually easier at the Arlington rides).

ronwalf
01-16-2015, 09:46 PM
With two commutes, I've managed to get half my point total from last year. Gonna have to pace myself to keep the bar low.

historygeek
01-17-2015, 12:50 PM
It may not last, but we're back in first...

Brünø Moore
01-17-2015, 06:04 PM
I think we lost it just in time for me to get back from my taco run.

Monday...

Brünø Moore
01-31-2015, 11:07 PM
So I think I may need this (http://inhabitat.com/trotify-makes-your-bike-sound-like-a-galloping-horse/) to go with my spiffy red uniform...

msalemme
02-01-2015, 10:35 AM
So I think I may need this (http://inhabitat.com/trotify-makes-your-bike-sound-like-a-galloping-horse/) to go with my spiffy red uniform...

We definitely need these! "You're using coconuts! You've got two empty halves of coconuts and you're bangin em togetha!"

Brünø Moore
02-25-2015, 10:40 PM
We're back. Expect us.

dkel
02-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Expect us.

...to hang out 300 to 2700 points behind almost everyone else?

(Shawn made me do it!)

Brünø Moore
02-25-2015, 11:47 PM
Uh-huh. Probably made you eat that apple (http://www.wga.hu/art/m/michelan/3sistina/1genesis/4sin/04_3ce4.jpg), too.

historygeek
02-26-2015, 08:28 AM
We're back. Expect us.

SO now I definitely have to find a way to sleaze today... perhaps I'll finally try out the bikeshare, since I can see a station from my office window...

Mtansill
02-28-2015, 11:47 PM
Hey team!

How come I'm still in third place for points on this team? Eh? You know that I have an 80-mile-per-day commute, a "needy" husband and child, two cats, a mortgage, and a full time job, right? There's no reason why I should be the one holding down third place in this group with stats like that. Am I right, or am I right?

Gauntlet thrown. ;)
:rolleyes:

historygeek
03-01-2015, 06:15 AM
Hey team!

How come I'm still in third place for points on this team? Eh? You know that I have an 80-mile-per-day commute, a "needy" husband and child, two cats, a mortgage, and a full time job, right? There's no reason why I should be the one holding down third place in this group with stats like that. Am I right, or am I right?

Gauntlet thrown. ;)
:rolleyes:
I would totally try to take you down... if I weren't leaving for a work trip to Cleveland on Tuesday. :(

historygeek
03-01-2015, 06:18 AM
I would totally try to take you down... if I weren't leaving for a work trip to Cleveland on Tuesday. :(
Though I also have all those things, save the commute. And I'll add that I'm an asthmatic who hates cold, who has been sick twice since Jan. 1, and who has also gone out of town twice and had no bike access. Someone should take me down, too!

TrishN
03-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Sorry, Team. Biking just isn't a priority for me at the moment.

Mtansill
03-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Well, you know what they say - if you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter! :D:D:D

Mtansill
03-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Well, you know what they say - if you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter! :D:D:D

And in case you don't know me well enough, I mean nothing negative by this comment at all. There are many possible reasons to not ride one's bike in the winter. I could not, however, let pass this perfect opportunity to quote Grease. :)

msalemme
03-06-2015, 03:17 PM

I hope everything is okay, Trish. Nothing serious like last year I hope.

TrishN
03-07-2015, 06:51 AM
I hope everything is okay, Trish. Nothing serious like last year I hope.

Didn't mean to cause worry. All is well. I had been sleazing on my lunch hour but my company has been taken over by another company and work is crazy. No more lunch hour for awhile. Also I'm getting ready to travel to Chile and Ecuador to celebrate my 50th and there's no way I'm going to put that trip in jeopardy by ending up on crutches due to falling on ice again! So yeah, priorities.

Also, the "athletic supporter" bit is my favorite joke from Grease, so it gave me a chuckle.

historygeek
03-07-2015, 06:54 AM
Glad to hear you're okay. And I'm totally jealous of your trip! (Especially since I'm writing from icy Cleveland, Ohio).

Brünø Moore
03-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I narrowly dodged getting sent out to south Jersey this weekend. Up until the time they finally got around to telling me it was cancelled, I was trying to figure out 1. which bike to take with me; and 2. if I'd be able to ride it up the Manayunk Wall. (http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/manayunk-wall-the-climb-every-american-bike-racer-knew_222344)

But, in the end, the snow and ice means I get to enjoy the warmth here.

historygeek
03-08-2015, 01:53 PM
We're back up at tenth right now! And now that I'm back from the icy hell of Cleveland (where I didn't see a single bicycle in motion), I hope to become a little more respectable.

Mtansill
03-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Nice, solid performance this week/weekend guys - way to go! :)

Mtansill
03-08-2015, 08:35 PM
We're back up at tenth right now! And now that I'm back from the icy hell of Cleveland (where I didn't see a single bicycle in motion), I hope to become a little more respectable.

Glad to have you back! I thought about you and your hill when I passed through Hyattsville today. I almost took it to avoid a HORRIBLE sludgy mess on the trail that I mistakenly sloughed through early on in my ride, but opted for the goose poop-laden trail followed by jumping the Jersey barrier (felt every 27+ pounds of my bike at that point) on the other side of the tributary instead. Decided that I made the better call in the end. ;) :cool::rolleyes:

Brünø Moore
03-08-2015, 11:03 PM
This was a pretty good day or two for the Inquisition. Good "work," everybody.

Now to secure my beerneuring side bet victory—much as it pained me to pass right by the closed Heavy Seas Brewery on my way in to Bawlmer, I think I've figured out a good strategy to make up for that, just you wait...

ewilliams0305
03-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Will any spades be attending the Vasa ride this Sunday?

ramblingrider
03-09-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm planning on doing the half Vasa.

ShawnoftheDread
03-09-2015, 03:02 PM
I'll be there for the opposition.

msalemme
03-09-2015, 03:18 PM

I'll be doing the 16 mile Kort Vasa.

ewilliams0305
03-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Great! I look forward to possibly meeting some of you. I'll be doing the full ride, I think they organized it so they finish up around the same time. See you there, go spades!

Brünø Moore
03-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Marshaling the full Vasaritt. I'll be Your Man In Yellow with the patch kit and spare tubes.

There's a slight chance of rain, I should mention. It wouldn't be a WABA ride without that, would it?

Boomer2U
03-09-2015, 07:03 PM
I signed up for the full 59 miler. This will be my 3rd Vasa ride. Anyone know if WABA needs anymore marshalls? And yes, I'm crashing your thread cuz can't let your team swamp the leaderboard uncontested [emoji4]

Brünø Moore
03-09-2015, 07:36 PM
I don't know if they need more marshals, but 1. you could always email Michelle at WABA (michelle.cleveland@waba.org) and ask; 2. show up before 8:15 (blech) and ask if they could use another marshal or two; or 3. unofficially help anyone you see who has a flat/other emergency/looks really, really lost. I don't know if any of those come with the free entry perks of being on Official Marshal™ with a badge (or vest) and everything, but I think most of us who marshal semi-regularly have ended up paying for rides we worked at one time or another.

Brünø Moore
03-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Side note to yesterday's ride: found the Strava playback (http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#264972216,5bHODw==) showing me chasing Jeff (and, presumably, the rest of y'alls). Had I taken the right turn on top of the Odell Bump, would have caught you just as you left the BARC, rather than falling 20 minutes behind as I kept checking directions.

Whoops.

Brünø Moore
03-10-2015, 09:56 AM
And, for those of you reading this (and following the tangent), WABA needs you to be a Vasaritt marshal. (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IhJWUDy6qj0S0YQPyK4_9N4othio3yDbM_xkXeFaHWo/viewform)

historygeek
03-11-2015, 09:17 AM
So-- final team happy hour next week? Anyone?

ewilliams0305
03-11-2015, 09:56 AM
And, for those of you reading this (and following the tangent), WABA needs you to be a Vasaritt marshal. (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IhJWUDy6qj0S0YQPyK4_9N4othio3yDbM_xkXeFaHWo/viewform)

if I ride marshal I may not have time to to ride a century after??? Seriously I really would like to get more "involved" but I think I'll save it for the next event.

ewilliams0305
03-11-2015, 09:57 AM
So-- final team happy hour next week? Anyone?

When and where??? I'm interested

historygeek
03-11-2015, 11:05 AM
When and where??? I'm interested

I could do any night, with a preference for not Thursday (I have a regular thing on Thursdays that I've missed two weeks running, so I'd rather not make it three). My preference is almost always going to be for Brookland Pint, because I like their Old Fashioneds, but could also do Franklin's, or Smith Public, or something in College Park, or really anything in DC.

ramblingrider
03-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Any of those places would be great. Any day except Wednesday or Thursday would work for me.

Brünø Moore
03-11-2015, 01:12 PM
I think Thursdays are generally out for the lot of us. Nixed. Ditto next Tuesday—Laurie and I will be heading to Annapolis for Bike Maryland's annual summit, and won't be back until...well, I don't actually know.

While I'm trying to rack up beerneuring points, and DC Brau does half priced (i.e., $2.50) pints on Fridays, they're a bit out of the way and, well, Bladensburg Road isn't that fun to bike on.

Monday, however, looks to be a great day for a bikefest. I'm voting Brookland, either Smith Public Trust or Brookland Pint.

historygeek
03-11-2015, 01:15 PM
I think Thursdays are generally out for the lot of us. Nixed. Ditto next Tuesday—Laurie and I will be heading to Annapolis for Bike Maryland's annual summit, and won't be back until...well, I don't actually know.

While I'm trying to rack up beerneuring points, and DC Brau does half priced (i.e., $2.50) pints on Fridays, they're a bit out of the way and, well, Bladensburg Road isn't that fun to bike on.

Monday, however, looks to be a great day for a bikefest. I'm voting Brookland, either Smith Public Trust or Brookland Pint.

I vote Monday at Brookland Pint. I could be there by 5:30, but would happily hang around and wait for those who would get there later. :)

ewilliams0305
03-11-2015, 01:49 PM
I've never been to either so.... you guy decide where and i'll be there. Thursday/ Tuesday would be iffy for me as well.

Also Phil, will you be riding to Annapolis, I will join along! we'll make it a Centur-ish!

Mtansill
03-11-2015, 08:39 PM

I will be doing the half Vasa!

ramblingrider
03-12-2015, 07:47 AM
argh. I thought I was available next Monday, but it turns out I can't go. I'm available on Tuesday, but it looks like many of you aren't. (and it's probably not a good day to meet for happy hour, as it's St. Patrick's Day.) Sorry!

Brünø Moore
03-14-2015, 01:04 PM
So, it looks like Monday is probably the best day, generally speaking. Brookland Pint starting at, say, 6:00?

historygeek
03-14-2015, 01:10 PM
So, it looks like Monday is probably the best day, generally speaking. Brookland Pint starting at, say, 6:00?
I'll be there!

ewilliams0305
03-16-2015, 10:11 AM
is "Monday" today???? how late will you guys be there?

historygeek
03-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Yes, today. I assumed at least 8 pm, but can stay later.

ramblingrider
03-28-2015, 02:18 PM
So I belatedly saw from this post (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=112570#post112570) that I randomly won a BA scarf. I don't suppose anyone picked it up for me, did they? No worries if not-- serves me right for not going to the party.

Steve O
03-28-2015, 03:08 PM
So I belatedly saw from this post (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=112570#post112570) that I randomly won a BA scarf. I don't suppose anyone picked it up for me, did they? No worries if not-- serves me right for not going to the party.

It's at Bike Arlington's intergalactic headquarters. You may get it from them or send an emissary on your behalf to retrieve it for you.

ramblingrider
03-28-2015, 09:32 PM
It's at Bike Arlington's intergalactic headquarters. You may get it from them or send an emissary on your behalf to retrieve it for you.
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know where that is.

Steve O
03-28-2015, 11:30 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know where that is.

Remarkably, it's in Arlington. :)

Rosslyn to be exact. 1501 Wilson Blvd.

Tim Kelley
03-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Remarkably, it's in Arlington. :)

Rosslyn to be exact. 1501 Wilson Blvd.

Give us a heads up a day or two in advance so that we'll be around.

ramblingrider
03-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Give us a heads up a day or two in advance so that we'll be around.
Thanks, Tim. Maybe tomorrow, 4:30ish?

Tim Kelley
03-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks, Tim. Maybe tomorrow, 4:30ish?

Email me and we'll work out details: info@Bikearlington.com