PDA

View Full Version : Pointless Prizes 2015

Steve O
01-06-2015, 12:38 PM
New thread here focused on this year's Pointless Prizes. I have volunteered to "organize" the PP presentation at the final happy hour.
So if you are planning to offer a PP, or if you want to bounce around ideas, or you want to fashion some fantastic wooden medallions, or anything else related to Pointless Prizes, this is your thread.

Don't clutter this thread with side bets (which can also win PPs). Create a new thread for each side bet. I'll keep track of those separately for the awards.

Also, although I will "organize" the PP awards "ceremony," if you are offering a Pointless Prize, you will award it yourself.

Steve O
01-06-2015, 12:47 PM
As with FS2013 and FS2014, I again volunteer to be Unassailable Czar of Creative Ride Titles. Give your Strava ride a creative title, and if I'm paying attention and it's good in some inscrutable way, you may win a pointless prize at the final happy hour.

Here are the winners from last year (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6578-Final-BAFS-Happy-Hour-Thurs-Apr-3&p=81696#post81696) if you are looking for inspiration.

I'll dig around for the 2013 winners and when I find them, I'll put those up, too.

Mikey
01-06-2015, 01:30 PM
There will be between 4 and 5 awards for the various side bets. I will present each of them at the finale.

Steve O
01-07-2015, 10:09 PM
If you think you would like to award a Pointless Prize but aren't sure exactly what one might do to earn one, here's the list from last year. Some of these might be worth repeating, but feel free to imagine something new.

The name associated with each PP was the person who awarded it--not the winner. I don't believe I have a list of the winners, but you know who you are!

2014 Pointless Prizes:

11th most miles ridden (a cornucopia of alcohol to the winner!) – GB (GregBain)
King/Queen of the world – KayakCyndi
Ride titles (multiple winners) – Steve O
Single digit riders (multiple awardees) – Steve O
Liar,Liar Pants on Fire (sandbagger award) – Justin Antos
Every day points (10 awarded; tie-breaker least sleaze) – Dickie
GPS Art – vvill
Team Billy Goat. Team that climbs the most: Elevation Gain (feet) / Distance traveled (miles). - Rob-O
Hains Point laps – Arlington Rider
Seventh lowest for the average number of miles per ride – CPTJohnC
Maryland Rail Trail Mixed Use Trail Pointless Prize - eminva
Volunteer award – rcannon
WWW (Weekend Woman Warrior) - Rod Smith
Wonder Woman (5 awarded) - Fast Friendly Dave
Nostradamus Prize - consularrider
#Kidical - dasgeh
Most consistent (boring) rider - oldbikechick

Mileage first day (already awarded to vicegrip) – Arlington Rider
Team Turtle. Team with lowest average speed (mph). - Rob-O (scrapped due to conflict of interest)

2014 Side bets (Mikey - I'm going to assume that these will be at least announced and recognized, even if they have already been awarded. Let me know otherwise if not.):

FSSB #1 - Greatest Loser
FSSB #2 - Birdges of Arlington County
FSSB #3 - Find the Founding Fathers
FSSB #4 - Super Team Challenge (busted - no award)
FSSB #5 - Winter Wonderland photos
February side contest (Strava art bicycle - already awarded) - BikeArlington

Question marks:

Sleaze pointless prize of some kind (did someone volunteer to do this? I could not find a reference)
Post-contest inter-team photos (couldn't find the thread this was in. Who is in charge of this one?)
Other

Steve O
01-07-2015, 10:17 PM
I dug deep into my archive and found the list of Creative Ride Titles winners and Honorable Mentions from 2013, in case you are looking for inspiration.

One word title

Honorable Mentions:

COLD! – Kel Moore
Wet. – Justin Antos
CustissssitsuS - Kurt Mickelwaite
Beerrandonnee - Christopher Niebylski

Winner

uncle – Peter Kong

Title most likely to make you go, “aaaahhhh.”

Runner up:

commute via downtown with my best bud – Jeff Lemieux

Winner

Commute in - Home repair, now I've done it, I guess I'll ride my wife's bike to work -Thanks Sweetheart – Mike Essig

Special Recognition to Kel Moore for her physiologically themed ride titles. No prize, just pride

Rice and Eggs Are Good For Legs
Wind: 1 Legs: 0
Legs are GO! Lungs are GOO!
Friday's Legs Are Full Of Woe

Alliterative Ride title
Honorable Mentions

Frosty Friday, No Fenders From FedEx? Furious! - Kel Moore
bonk bonk bonkyity bonk bonk – Peter Kong (might’ve had a shot at winning the 1-word if it had all been one word)

Winner

finally flipping freezing!
pathetic points pursuit
minuscule morning motivation miles mostly meandering mindlessly - Laurie Lemieux

The Prize for Laurie!
Perfectly prickly porcupine plush pet pointless prize

Alcova cyclist
01-08-2015, 11:40 AM
For my pointless prize ("stout for the stout") I would like to award it based on the following criteria (This seems like it should be easy to figure, but I will need help from the data wizards):

1. Take the five days with the lowest total daily mileage from all BAFS participants (This seems to be as good a way as any to determine the worst of the worst riding days & doesn't require tying into any new data sources)
2. Find the high mileage rider for each day of those five days --> winners!
2.a. If the same 1-2 people win all five days using the first method, I might award a prize or two to the #2 or #3 riders on the worst day or two to spread the wealth

So basically, you win by following rules 5 and 9 when the rest of are sitting by the fire or sleazing out 1.1 mile loops in our neighborhood.

Prizes will be 22-oz bottles of the very limited edition "Solstice Stout" (only 5 gallons of which exist in the whole world).

Amalitza
01-08-2015, 11:52 AM
If you think you would like to award a Pointless Prize but aren't sure exactly what one might do to earn one, here's the list from last year. Some of these might be worth repeating, but feel free to imagine something new.

The name associated with each PP was the person who awarded it--not the winner. I don't believe I have a list of the winners, but you know who you are!

And here is the working list from the first year; not all of them were awarded, and some additional ones not on the list were awarded, but as that year's pointless prize coordinator, I was keeping a running tab of ideas people were throwing out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZJGzd8HcdTur5LSxEtBQeeD-ruXUW3MiDcp4OEYnFGs/edit#gid=0

rcannon100
01-08-2015, 11:56 AM
The problem with the first years list is that lots and lots of people were coming up with "creative" ideas - but few people were saying "I will do the work for this prize." It is important to understand when volunteering to do pointless prizing that you are volunteering to do all work or all data munching that may be required to implement that prize. In other words, design prizes that are implementable (some are cool and easy to do the data munching - others would require a lot of analysis).

Amalitza
01-08-2015, 11:56 AM
This should be incredibly easy to award. Just hand over all the booze directly to Rod Smith. :rolleyes:

For my pointless prize ("stout for the stout") I would like to award it based on the following criteria (This seems like it should be easy to figure, but I will need help from the data wizards):

1. Take the five days with the lowest total daily mileage from all BAFS participants (This seems to be as good a way as any to determine the worst of the worst riding days & doesn't require tying into any new data sources)
2. Find the high mileage rider for each day of those five days --> winners!
2.a. If the same 1-2 people win all five days using the first method, I might award a prize or two to the #2 or #3 riders on the worst day or two to spread the wealth

So basically, you win by following rules 5 and 9 when the rest of are sitting by the fire or sleazing out 1.1 mile loops in our neighborhood.

Prizes will be 22-oz bottles of the very limited edition "Solstice Stout" (only 5 gallons of which exist in the whole world).

CPTJohnC
01-09-2015, 12:00 AM
I plan to reprise my x lowest average miles PP, and add a new one, also probably low miles related. The x is because I don't promise to repeat the number 7 this year. I will ensure simplicity of data munching and/or be prepared to do any work involved in figuring out the award. The prize itself will almost certainly be baked goods or other sweet treats, with or without alcohol in them.

Sunyata
01-09-2015, 08:22 AM
I was thinking about sponsoring a "sloth of the mountain" award for the individual with the slowest average speed with at least 40 days of riding (at least 50% of contest days).

cyclingfool
01-09-2015, 09:16 PM
I was thinking about sponsoring a "sloth of the mountain" award for the individual with the slowest average speed with at least 40 days of riding (at least 50% of contest days).

Now there's a prize I might just win... LOL

consularrider
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
I'll be happy to award the Hamster Wheel Prize for the most Hains Point laps.

dasgeh
01-14-2015, 04:31 PM
I think it would be fun to do some sort of group ride bingo Pointless Prize. Any ideas on how to structure it?

Mikey
01-14-2015, 05:16 PM
We could add that as a side bet when these are done, similar to a bingo board put out by the league of American bicyclists a couple of years back. Pm me to discuss further.

Harry Meatmotor
01-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Can I propose a Pointless Prize for the team with the longest thread on BAF to determine it's own team name? The BAFS Team Internal Strife Award?

Shheeeeeesh...

Steve O
01-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Can I propose a Pointless Prize for the team with the longest thread on BAF to determine its own team name? The BAFS Team Internal Strife Award?

Shheeeeeesh...

Your pointless prize is now on the list. Should be fun coming up with an actual prize. And it will be fun at the happy hour to relive those bygone days (unless they are still going on......).

Tim Kelley
01-15-2015, 11:03 AM
So speaking of prizes, BikeArlington has in our hot little hands, a run of the BA Stadium Scarves that we would like to offer up as a Pointless Prize. Any ideas for what we could use them for? Perfect attendance? 95% attendance? Anyone got any suggestions?

Mikey
01-15-2015, 11:15 AM
For the scarves, I would recommend something that disqualifies riders from the first FS, since we already have one. How about New riders, or new riders last year who are participating this year, with some level of mileage or participation %.

ShawnoftheDread
01-15-2015, 03:25 PM
For the scarves, I would recommend something that disqualifies riders from the first FS, since we already have one. How about New riders, or new riders last year who are participating this year, with some level of mileage or participation %.

But I think I shrank mine.

dasgeh
01-15-2015, 03:47 PM
So speaking of prizes, BikeArlington has in our hot little hands, a run of the BA Stadium Scarves that we would like to offer up as a Pointless Prize. Any ideas for what we could use them for? Perfect attendance? 95% attendance? Anyone got any suggestions?

If you have enough, you could make it self-selecting. Like "anyone who has done a ride they are proud of because of BAFS15" and start a thread where people post what ride (or bike-related thing) they are proud of.

dasgeh
01-15-2015, 03:49 PM
But I think I shrank mine.

My kids will happily take it off your hands. They love theirs.

dbb
01-15-2015, 03:54 PM

How about slowest start? Something like "failed to ride for the first 11 days of the competition"?

ShawnoftheDread
01-15-2015, 04:05 PM
My kids will happily take it off your hands. They love theirs.

If kids were worthy my own would have it.

Dickie
01-16-2015, 10:17 AM
How about "people riding with Vertigo" or "Most unbalanced indirect squiggly route"? I' might finally get my hands on one of those.

dasgeh
01-16-2015, 06:49 PM
If kids were worthy my own would have it.
Just because your kids aren't worthy doesn't mean mine aren't

Steve O
01-22-2015, 11:59 AM
We've gotten a few people to volunteer for pointless prizes, but there's room for more. Previous year prizes based on handicap (sandbagger, mr. consistency, etc.) won't work this year, because there wasn't a fair handicapping mechanism in place and most newbies weren't handicapped at all.

Here is some brainstorming that might help you devise a prize of your own. Or feel free to take on one of these and volunteer to present (along with some sort of "priceless" trinket) at the final happy hour.

Numbers-based:
- Kissing cousins - two riders with the same mileage or points or combination or something like that
- Ass backwards - two riders whose mileage (or points) are reversed
- (to be awarded by Lucky Pr1m3s?) - Team whose total points (or mileage) is closest to a prime #. Or individual riders.
People who like to play with numbers can probably come up with other and better ideas.

Metrics based:
- Warm saddles - Rider who had the warmest coldest ride (i.e., the rider whose coldest ride was at the highest temp of all the riders; this is being tracked on the web site). Or it could be the opposite of a bicycle icicle (a small glass of water, i.e., a melted bicycle icicle) and given to all riders who rode only when it was above freezing. Or something.
- Rainiest, snowiest, darkiest, etc. are also being tracked, so someone could offer awards in those categories. They could either be total (like most hours before sunrise) or weighted (most hours before sunrise as % of total hours ridden). One could also make these team awards or combine them to create a "Worst Conditions" or "Sunniest" team award or something.

So put on your thinking caps. Post here. Every couple of weeks I'll post a compilation of proposed PPs.

Steve O
01-22-2015, 01:06 PM
We also need someone to volunteer for the obvious awards:
Winning team
#1 rider

More ideas:

Awards could be created for riders from 2014 to 2015, like most improved or most more-days-ridden,etc.

ShawnoftheDread
01-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Yes it does.

ronwalf
01-22-2015, 02:12 PM
If I could find a boat anchor (http://www.amazon.com/Danielson-050011-SIZE-Navy-Paint-Anchor/dp/B004LR7RM2/ref=zg_bs_3398541_10) for under $5, I'd offer it to the leading person who's last on their team (currently Peter DeNitto).

rcannon100
01-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Prize for the tallest rider?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gHskrDHeOwA/TcHgfBMBzYI/AAAAAAAABS8/tfgOv_5vprc/s1600/5.jpg

americancyclo
01-22-2015, 02:57 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gHskrDHeOwA/TcHgfBMBzYI/AAAAAAAABS8/tfgOv_5vprc/s1600/5.jpg

Ocracoke sure looks different in the winter. you and the boy cannon, not so much.

americancyclo
01-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Kφsen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_K%C3%B6sen)Dangi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Bahadur_Dangi)Award

Greatest elevation gain on a sleaze day.

Prize: Jumbo Shrimp?

Steve O
01-22-2015, 03:39 PM
If I could find a boat anchor (http://www.amazon.com/Danielson-050011-SIZE-Navy-Paint-Anchor/dp/B004LR7RM2/ref=zg_bs_3398541_10) for under $5, I'd offer it to the leading person who's last on their team (currently Peter DeNitto).
I'm sure you can find an anchor (if not real, then a toy one). Another way to offer this would be the last place person who is farthest behind the 9th place person.

You're on the list for the Anchor award, the exact definition of which is up to you. Thanks.

Steve O
01-22-2015, 03:49 PM

Shall I put you down for this? More interesting might be total miles or points divided by height in inches--providing a little advantage to komorebi, kwarkentien, wheels&wings and other yardstick-challenged types.

You would be the perfect person to award it, too.

Steve O
01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Kφsen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_K%C3%B6sen)Dangi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Bahadur_Dangi)Award

Good one. You're on the list as long as you don't overburden the data gods trying to determine the winner.

Brόnψ Moore
01-22-2015, 11:22 PM

Hmmm...would NPS let me shoulder my bike and do stair runup repeats of the Washington Monument?

Steve O
01-23-2015, 12:31 AM
This is what I have currently for PPs

Winning team - _______ (BA has indicated they may provide jerseys)
Top riders (male & female) - ____________ (BA has indicated they may provide jerseys)
Golden Nugget – Vicegrip/Arlington Rider (already awarded)
Side Bets - Mikey
Creative Titles – Steve O
Hains Point Laps – Arlington Rider
Team prize for longest thread to determine a name – Harry Meatmotor
Stout for the Stout – Alcova Cyclist
X Lowest average miles - CPTJohnC
Another TBD – CPTJohnC
Sloth of the Mountain – Sunyata
BA Scarves – BikeArlington
Anchor award – ronwalf
Kosen Dangi award – americancyclo
Every Day riders - ______________

dasgeh
01-23-2015, 09:59 AM
#kidical - dasgeh

Amalitza
01-25-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm planning on early bird (individual) award-- before sunrise

hozn
01-25-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm planning on early bird (individual) award-- before sunrise
Is that miles or time?

Thanks to Ian we also have some more weather charts and we can combine into things like "riding in the rain in the dark" -- sounds fun :-)

Amalitza
01-25-2015, 09:50 AM
I'm fine with either, and it looks like time is already being tracked-- I'm good with that.

dasgeh
01-28-2015, 10:21 AM

Yes it does.

My kids biked to soccer practice this morning. The two year old was wearing a t-shirt (nothing over it). Would you care to revise that statement? :-)

hozn
01-28-2015, 10:27 AM
My kids biked to soccer practice this morning. The two year old was wearing a t-shirt (nothing over it). Would you care to revise that statement? :-)

They rode their bicycles wearing t-shirts in "feels like 9F" temps? Kudos to them, but that does sound a little insane.

Mikey
01-28-2015, 10:28 AM

Don't worry we've called child protective services already.

dasgeh
01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
They rode their bicycles wearing t-shirts in "feels like 9F" temps? Kudos to them, but that does sound a little insane.

They were in the bakfiets. It's 6 miles, and 2 yo is still on a strider...

jrenaut
01-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Rule 5, 2 yo

ShawnoftheDread
01-28-2015, 10:57 AM

No.

americancyclo
01-28-2015, 10:58 AM
I think there's a difference between "my kids biked" and "my kids sat in a bike under a plastic cover that keeps them warm."

still, kudos for the #kidical in these temps.

ShawnoftheDread
01-28-2015, 10:58 AM

So they didn't bike. The rode on your ebike under an insulating cover. They don't get my scarf.

americancyclo
01-28-2015, 10:59 AM
also, i'll trade a scarf. mine seems pretty short now. Were the originals closer to 6 ft?

dasgeh
01-28-2015, 11:04 AM
So they didn't bike. The rode on your ebike under an insulating cover. They don't get my scarf.

I'm pretty sure husband turned the motor off. He does that. Weird. And it's not like there's a heater under there.

Tim Kelley
01-28-2015, 11:23 AM
also, i'll trade a scarf. mine seems pretty short now. Were the originals closer to 6 ft?

Did you try making a Barbie doll scarf by putting it in the dryer?

americancyclo
01-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Did you try making a Barbie doll scarf by putting it in the dryer?

https://chapmanic.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/borat_great_success-320x229.jpg

hozn
01-28-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm pretty sure husband turned the motor off. He does that. Weird. And it's not like there's a heater under there.

I'm sure that the point here is that they were not cold, right (because plastic + sunshine = warm) ? -- not that they were suffering with tears freezing to their faces yet remained in only t-shirts because of Rule #5. I feel like I've missed the point of this thread, so I'll go find Shawn's original post that started it all :)

dkel
01-28-2015, 11:55 AM
I feel like I've missed the point of this thread, so I'll go find Shawn's original post that started it all :)

Pretty sure that won't clear anything up for you...

cvcalhoun
01-28-2015, 01:25 PM

Yeah, it wasn't mentioned, but I'm pretty sure I got a "Tortoise" prize last year for being the slowest. And I rode every day.

chris_s
01-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Pretty sure that won't clear anything up for you...

Seriously. I just came from arguing the Arlnow comments and this thread did not bring the expected leap in level of discourse.

Mikey
01-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Seriously. I just came from arguing the Arlnow comments and this thread did not bring the expected leap in level of discourse.
Yo Mama!

peterw_diy
01-28-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm imagining the seam ripping on the canopy and the ride turning into a Star Trek hull breach disaster...

rcannon100
01-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Yo Yo Ma!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/arts_entertainment/yo-yo-ma.jpg

ShawnoftheDread
01-28-2015, 04:58 PM

Well your husband is definitely scarf-worthy.

Steve O
01-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Yeah, it wasn't mentioned, but I'm pretty sure I got a "Tortoise" prize last year for being the slowest. And I rode every day.

You've got some others giving you a run (if that's the right word) for your money this year.

Do you want to award this, or do you feel that's a conflict of interest?

Sunyata
01-29-2015, 08:25 AM

Currently, Renee M (sorry, do not know her user name) is winning the "Sloth of the Mountain" award with at least 50% of days ridden (if she rides today or tomorrow).

cvcalhoun is in second with having ridden every day. :)

cvcalhoun
01-30-2015, 01:18 AM
You've got some others giving you a run (if that's the right word) for your money this year.

Do you want to award this, or do you feel that's a conflict of interest?

I definitely don't think I should be awarding a prize for which I might be in contention!

Steve O
02-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Current Pointless Prizes (mucho thanks to those who have stepped forward):

Side Bets - Mikey
Another TBD – CPTJohnC
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird - Amalitza
Anchor award – ronwalf

We need volunteers for these:

Top riders (male & female) - ____________ (BA has indicated they may provide jerseys)
Every Day riders - ______________ (there may be a lot of these this year!)
Tortoise - ______________ (cvcalhoun has recused herself for conflict of interest)
----------------------------------------------
Make up your own!!!! Go to the beginning of the thread for lists of previous year's and some other ideas. Here's another someone suggested to me but you could steal:

Snow "Flake" award for 1) all riders with no rides under 32 degrees OR 2) most time indoors on the trainer OR 3) rider with the highest temp in the lowest temp category OR something you devise.

If you are new to FS, awarding a pointless prize is not daunting. You can use stats already being collected on freezingsaddles.com or, if you have a different idea, you can ask the data gurus and see if it's something they can do without too much difficulty.

Then it's just a matter of determining your winner(s)/loser(s) and announcing at the final happy hour. Including some sort of pointless item that represents your prize is a nice touch. That's it. Easy peasy.

Tim Kelley
02-04-2015, 09:24 AM

may = will

jrenaut
02-04-2015, 09:27 AM
may = will

Sweet, now I just have to go ride 1,000 miles this weekend.

americancyclo
02-04-2015, 09:58 AM

That's what I'm talking about! Go Team X!

komorebi
02-04-2015, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking of sponsoring a "we're all in this together" prize, for the team whose members have the least variance in their individual scores (i.e., the team least dependent on or affected by extremely high- or low-mileage riders). Nature of prize TBD.

Powerful Pete
02-04-2015, 01:54 PM

Easy peasy. And the weather will be decent too. :p

elwbikes
02-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Tortoise - ______________ (cvcalhoun has recused herself for conflict of interest)

I volunteer to award this prize!

rcannon100
02-06-2015, 10:11 AM
An the nominee for Best Ride title goes too.... Greg Bain (https://www.strava.com/activities/250570966#comments) (but it must be read in context with the discussion that ensued)

MattAune
02-06-2015, 11:36 AM
As the captain of last years winner of the Team Billy Goat competition, I made a promise to Rob-O that I would award the trophy to the winner of the 2015 edition.

Rod Smith
02-06-2015, 08:08 PM
CaBi TT award to the fastest 30 minutes on a red sled.

hozn
02-06-2015, 10:38 PM
CaBi TT award to the fastest 30 minutes on a red sled.

This is an interesting ida; how do we get this data? (Do people just self-report with 30-minute average speeds?)

hozn
02-06-2015, 10:39 PM
This is an interesting ida; how do we get this data? (Do people just self-report with 30-minute average speeds?)

Nevermind! -- I saw your other topic describing the procedure.

Steve O
02-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Hi participants,
I am communicating with BA about awarding scarves to FS participants. The exact determination of who will earn one is still being worked out. That said, one determinant is that those who already have one are ineligible for another. Below is my first shot of compiling a list of 2013 participants who are also 2015 participants. I am going to assume if your name is on this list that you have a scarf from FS Year "The First."
Two things:
1 - If you have a scarf and your name is NOT on this list, let me know so that we can fairly distribute them to those who do not.
2 - If your name is on this list and you never got a scarf, PM me with your story and I will consider removing your name. If you once had one, and you have lost it or destroyed it or are otherwise no longer in possession of it: too bad, so sad.

Chris M
Chris Ra
Chris Sh
Christopher N
Cyndi J
David K
Deirdre M
Elizabeth M
Greg B
Hans L
Jake J
jeff l
Justin A
Karen W
Kathy Le
Kel M
Ken B
Kevin O
Kevin W
Krazy g
Kurt M
Laurie L
Lena V
Marc M
Mark W
Michael E
Pete B
Peter De
Peter K
Rob O
Robert Ca
Rod S
Ron A
Shawn D
Shawn G
Steve C
Steve O
Trish N
Vincent N
Will L

Steve O
02-11-2015, 12:39 AM
There will be BA scarves at the final happy hour. (Note: BA stands both for BikeArlington and BadAss. Coincidence?)

"So how do I earn a scarf?" you are fervently asking yourself? And I ask, "Why are you talking to yourself like that?"

Here's da rules:

People who have gotten a scarf in the past are ineligible (see adjoining post)

People who have gotten a scarf in the past: no whining

40 scarves to the 40 eligible riders who ride the most days during BAFS2015

Remaining c. 10 scarves by random drawing to 10 additional eligible riders who ride at least 20 days during BAFS2015

So if you don't think you are going to make the top 40 for days ridden, make sure you ride at least 20 days to be eligible for the drawing.

Big THANK YOU to BikeArlington for their ongoing support of Freezing Saddles.
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7487&stc=1

americancyclo
02-11-2015, 08:19 AM
I will happily donate my scarf of shrunken size to anyone who wishes for it, or is at least willing to do a silly dance in front of everyone at the final HH.

vvill
02-11-2015, 08:44 AM
silly dance in front of everyone at the final HH.

This should be the sole criterion! Dance-off!

ShawnoftheDread
02-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Cry.

Amalitza
02-11-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure if slackers are even eligible, but if so, I do have a scarf, and my name is not on that list.

Steve O
02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I will happily donate my scarf of shrunken size to anyone willing to do a silly dance in front of everyone at the final HH.

I have added this to the list of pointless prizes.

Steve O
02-13-2015, 12:27 AM
Here's the current list:

Winning team - Bike Arlington
Top riders (male & female) - Bike Arlington
Shrunken BA scarf dance-off - americancyclo
Freezing Saddles Photo Contest – Subby & americancyclo
Another TBD – CPTJohnC
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird - Amalitza
Anchor award – ronwalf
We’re all in this together - Komorebi
Tortoise – elwbikes
MattAune - Team Billy Goat
Cabi TT – Rod Smith
Climbing Challenge – ewilliams0305
March Mountain Madness – vicegrip (is this separate from the 5 to 100,000?)
Beerneuring – sjclaeys
“Name” TBA – Steve O

Side Bets – Mikey
FSSB #1 – Feeding Saddles
FSSB #2 – BMI start to finish
FSSB #3 – Capture the Flag
FSSB #6 - We the People

Someone should offer a $50 gift card to the person who took the rainiest ride.

Vicegrip
02-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Here's the current list:

Another TBD – CPTJohnC
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird - Amalitza
Anchor award – ronwalf
Tortoise – elwbikes
MattAune - Team Billy Goat
Cabi TT – Rod Smith
March Mountain Madness – vicegrip (is this separate from the 5 to 100,000?)
Beerneuring – sjclaeys
“Name” TBA – Steve O

Side Bets – Mikey
FSSB #6 - We the People

Someone should offer a $50 gift card to the person who took the rainiest ride.MMM = March Mountain Madness is March 1 to the contest end. A clean reset so the late bloomers can put the hurt on the tired and weary.

Steve O
02-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Only a couple of changes from the previous list. Please let me know if there are errors or if I left out a prize you are intending to award.

We still need someone to step up to award something pointless to the every day riders. You can see the current list here:
http://freezingsaddles.com/people/ridedays

Golden Nugget – vicegrip/Arlington Rider (already awarded)
Another TBD – CPTJohnC (still on? Have you figured this out yet?)
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird - Amalitza
Anchor award – ronwalf
Tortoise – elwbikes
Team Billy Goat – Matt Aune
Cabi TT – Rod Smith
March Mountain Madness – vicegrip
Beerneuring – sjclaeys
“Name” TBA – Steve O
(maybe) Bicycle Icicles - Steve O
Snotcicles – kwarkentien/Rod Smith
FCC hat (FSSB #42) – rcannon100

Side Bets – Mikey
FSSB #6 - We the People

Bikewoman
03-01-2015, 07:43 PM
I ride to work almost every day---unless school is closed--before the sun comes up~I typically leave before 6:20 am. How come my name does not appear under the individual leaderboard for "before sunrise rides"? I don't have a Garmin, so I post my rides manually. This shouldn't make a difference...but does it?

hozn
03-01-2015, 08:59 PM
I ride to work almost every day---unless school is closed--before the sun comes up~I typically leave before 6:20 am. How come my name does not appear under the individual leaderboard for "before sunrise rides"? I don't have a Garmin, so I post my rides manually. This shouldn't make a difference...but does it?
Yeah, those leaderboards (which are driven by the weather and location data) are not available for manually entered rides.

CPTJohnC
03-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Another TBD – CPTJohnC (still on? Have you figured this out yet?)

Sorry -- I've been woefully neglectful of the forum. Too busy getting out there for all my sleaze rides.

My idea for my second PP will be for Mr. or Ms. Consistency (assuming it doesn't overlap someone else's prize, hidden in a catchy title) -- the person whose daily mileage shows the least variation, such that the miles they ride on any given day is as close as possible to their average daily mileage (a statistician could, I'm sure, tell me what I'm measuring here -- something like very low deviation or something.)

I will put in a minimum requirement of 10 point scoring days in each of the three calendar months (to reward the regular riders), and in keeping with my philosophy of encouraging the merely ordinary, an average daily miles cap of no more than 15.

Who do I need to reach out to in order to determine how feasible my plan is? I am happy to crunch through the raw data for every rider who meets my minimum and maximum figures...

Bikewoman
03-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Yeah, those leaderboards (which are driven by the weather and location data) are not available for manually entered rides.

Boo! This sounds like a Garmin conspiracy. Perhaps a Garmin should be awarded to the one with the most "before sunrise" rides who submitted manual entries!

hozn
03-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Boo! This sounds like a Garmin conspiracy. Perhaps a Garmin should be awarded to the one with the most "before sunrise" rides who submitted manual entries!
:-) well, you don't have to use a Garmin. I think most (?) are just using smartphones.

americancyclo
03-03-2015, 12:10 PM

Sounds like a prize you can volunteer for!

Garmin Edge cyclocomputers can be found on https://www.facebook.com/groups/dcusedicyclemarketplace/ for under $100

or new for about $130 (https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8955283813830092841?q=edge+200&client=firefox-a&hs=RXX&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&biw=1280&bih=887&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.87269000,d.eXY&tch=1&ech=1&psi=3en1VJSTPI-INsW-gpgN.1425402334881.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX3EzD8NpbuOLTLMvsQomtIsd2YhBFn_O 08SuVuX3S6ufePR20Dsgv-o2KGNBxzQJB2byt6olJgF-A08t8lfsZ5s83dSMdyDnNnCPDbPMiO1do-tMmRIZAFPVH71laSD2Atg9FBOd_-AEEau096wK1w&ei=4un1VL3LIouggwTKk4K4DQ&ved=0CJIBEKYrMAA)

Amalitza
03-03-2015, 02:12 PM

I am awarding the early bird prize. I will accept manual entries. You have to do your own math, though. It looks like leaderboard is tracking that as time in saddle-- so at the end of the competition, let me know how much time before sunrise you have ridden if you would like to be considered for this. If you turn out to be the winner, I (and possibly ::checks leaderboard:: Kurt, Vin, Lena or Hans) is likely to spot check your data.

The prize is not a Garmin, however. Were I to purchase a Garmin, I would keep it for myself. Because I'm greedy like that.

Rod Smith
03-03-2015, 07:34 PM

Miles ridden in the rain or snow only works for smartphones or Garmins that sync to smartphones.

Steve O
03-07-2015, 07:01 PM
With less than two weeks to go, it is literally neck & neck for most sleaze days. Mary S and Karen W are tied for first at 51 days.

Please note that no one has volunteered to offer a Pointless Prize to the sleaziest rider. There is still time to volunteer and add to the festivities at the final happy hour.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8051&stc=1

Steve O
03-08-2015, 06:41 PM
You clamored for them, so they will be back. Exact determination of awardees TBD, but if you rode on a really cold day (see chart of coldest rides here (http://www.freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various)), you will likely win one.

If you didn't already ride on a really cold day, you are probably out of luck...unless you take a trip to Alaska or the Ukraine in the next 10 days.

cvcalhoun
03-09-2015, 01:57 AM
Miles ridden in the rain or snow only works for smartphones or Garmins that sync to smartphones.

I use a Garmin. It doesn't sync to a smartphone, but I use Tapiriik to sync it to Strava. And I'm the top rider in the Snowiest Ride category.

cvcalhoun
03-09-2015, 01:59 AM
Someone should offer a $50 gift card to the person who took the rainiest ride.

What, none for the snowiest ride? Umm, not that I have any personal interest, of course...

tawdryaudre
03-10-2015, 10:41 AM

Hey all, do we still need someone to volunteer to give prizes for every day riders? If so, I volunteer to provide something utterly random and silly to everyone who makes it. (Fingers crossed that I shall be among them!)

jrenaut
03-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Hey all, do we still need someone to volunteer to give prizes for every day riders? If so, I volunteer to provide something utterly random and silly to everyone who makes it. (Fingers crossed that I shall be among them!)
Since 40 Bike Arlington scarves are getting handed out to the top 40 on the days ridden chart (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=108088#post108088), and there are only 33 who can still ride every day, I don't know if we still need an every day rider prize? I mean, not that anyone would object to getting extra prizes.

NEVER MIND See this follow up (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=110766#post110766)

ShawnoftheDread
03-10-2015, 11:19 AM
But the scarves aren't available to those who already have one, which includes at least a dozen of the every day riders this year I think.

Phatboing
03-10-2015, 11:20 AM
i don't know if we still need an every day rider prize?

Yes we do shush your face

rcannon100
03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
But the scarves aren't available to those who already have one, which includes at least a dozen of the every day riders this year I think.

I dont have one. Absolutely need one.

Steve O
03-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Yes, tawdry, you are now on the list. Thanks!

Steve O
03-10-2015, 11:27 AM

You lie. I have seen yours at FCC.

KayakCyndi
03-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Lies! It is best not to lie when your avatar calls you out on it.

jrenaut
03-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Oh, good call. I retract my statement about not needing an every day rider prize. Please note that my retraction has NOTHING to do with the fact that I expect to get one of these prizes.

dkel
03-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Seems like every day riding is pretty commonplace this year...maybe the standard should be every day and no sleaze days. :)

ShawnoftheDread
03-10-2015, 12:05 PM

Ride your bike more, slacker.

Vicegrip
03-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Seems like every day riding is pretty commonplace this year...maybe the standard should be every day and no sleaze days. :)Who has the longest shortest ride?

consularrider
03-10-2015, 12:16 PM
Who has the longest shortest ride?

My current longest shortest ride of BAFS 2015 is 7.01 miles.

Vicegrip
03-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Just checked, I dropped in a 3.2. Think this might be a good pointless prize for next year.

americancyclo
03-10-2015, 01:19 PM
With just a few days to go, here's the leader board for the Kφsen Dangi award. There's still time to go for the most elevation on a sleaze day!

Rider

Team
Distance
Elevation

Seth Pollack
Rule 9 Velo - BAFS15

Erin Conner
Rule 9 Velo - BAFS15

Sara Lappano
Yeti Betties and the Abominable Two

Will Lynn
Slackers, Hecklers, and Hangers-On BAFS 2015

Joe Birkenstock
Team 6 Bipolar Bears

honorable mention goes to some folks that have 'request to follow' so i couldn't verify their rides, or riders that had temperature changes affect their elevation:

Eric Bubar

Tim Vandish

Richard Sewell

Teresa Amundson

Christy Regenhardt

Powerful Pete

Casey Bailey

Jake J

I also recused myself because I'm giving the prize, but I clocked 859ft and 548ft on two different days. see if you can top that!

Steve O
03-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Who has the longest shortest ride?

And, conversely, who has the shortest longest ride? Seems like a perfect pairing of pointless prizes. Not too late for this year as long as the data gurus don't mind.

Mtansill
03-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Seems like every day riding is pretty commonplace this year...maybe the standard should be every day and no sleaze days. :)

I do not agree with this! :) With the full life that I have outside of biking AND this being my first year - both in FS and in owning a bike - I've had to work hard to get a ride in every day - even on the odd sleaze day. :rolleyes:

cvcalhoun
03-12-2015, 01:31 AM
1 - If you have a scarf and your name is NOT on this list, let me know so that we can fairly distribute them to those who do not.

I have a scarf. I wasn't a BAFS participant in 2013, but I got one as a prize at another event.

Steve O
03-12-2015, 09:25 AM
. . .but I clocked 859ft. . .

I find this claim to be dubious. If one's sleaze ride ends where it starts, then that means 859 feet of climb in 1/2 the distance or under 1 mile. That's a 16% grade. Finding a place with a constant 16% grade you can ride up and down around here is, well, virtually impossible. And even if it weren't, unless you lived on that street, you would have to drive to it. If you rode to it, then that would violate the spirit of the sleaze ride, because your total miles for the day would exceed 2.

If you ended your ride higher than you started, then the average grade could be less, but that raises the question of how you got back to your starting point. One way would be on a CaBi, but I'd be amazed if one could find a place to ride a CaBi up 859 feet in under 2 miles.

americancyclo
03-12-2015, 09:49 AM
If one's sleaze ride ends where it starts, then that means 859 feet of climb in 1/2 the distance or under 1 mile. If you rode to it, then that would violate the spirit of the sleaze ride, because your total miles for the day would exceed 2.

Says nothing about sleaze rides ending where they start.
What if I drove my car there?
No one says I have to log all the miles I rode that day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/249462449

Steve O
03-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Says nothing about sleaze rides ending where they start.
What if I drove my car there?

If you drove your car, then how did you get back to your car from the top of the hill? I suppose you could walk your bike.

No one says I have to log all the miles I rode that day.

Agreed that what you did is not impossible, but not logging all your miles for the day, in my opinion at least, violates the spirit of the sleaze.
Also, in most team sports, teammates don't particularly care for teammates who pad their own statistics without regard to the overall success of the team. If you didn't log all your miles, then you are cheating your team out of points for your own aggrandizement.

WAIT! Not only that, but you didn't count the downhills. Looks like you stopped the garmin at the top and restarted at the bottom. I am interested in hearing from the rest of the forum regarding the legitimacy of that practice.

DismalScientist
03-12-2015, 10:15 AM
I certainly approve of him padding his own stats at the expense of the team's. Watching Steve O with his panties in a twist is well worth a couple of foregone points.

P.S. Stopping the Garmin on the way down the hill is necessary whether you are walking or riding. Garmin stoppage does not indicate cheating.

vvill
03-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Agreed that what you did is not impossible, but not logging all your miles for the day, in my opinion at least, violates the spirit of the sleaze.
Also, in most team sports, teammates don't particularly care for teammates who pad their own statistics without regard to the overall success of the team. If you didn't log all your miles, then you are cheating your team out of points for your own aggrandizement.

WAIT! Not only that, but you didn't count the downhills. Looks like you stopped the garmin at the top and restarted at the bottom. I am interested in hearing from the rest of the forum regarding the legitimacy of that practice.

Considering he is awarding the prize, I think the rules he set are fine. And manual entry can always be used for the missing miles. I thought this was all a game anyway and these are pointless prizes?

americancyclo
03-12-2015, 10:16 AM

So i had a 12 point day instead of a 15 point day. I doubt they will begrudge me those three points. If it makes you feel better, the foot of that hill is .2 miles from my house and I did ride my bike there.

If anything, they should begrudge my 3 week old son. Taking care of him and mommacyclo has cost me at least 80 points already ;)

I thought Senor Cannon's rule was it's fun and don't take it too seriously?

dasgeh
03-12-2015, 10:41 AM
If you drove your car, then how did you get back to your car from the top of the hill? I suppose you could walk your bike.

Some people have friends.

Steve O
03-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Just to make sure I'm clear. You took a 4 mile ride and snipped out all the little bits you didn't like and claim that as a 'sleaze' ride? Not that there's an official definition, but ...
Your prize; your rules. Whatever.

americancyclo
03-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Just to make sure I'm clear. You took a 4 mile ride and snipped out all the little bits you didn't like and claim that as a 'sleaze' ride? Not that there's an official definition, but ...
Your prize; your rules. Whatever.

I simply paused my Garmin on the parts there were negative elevation.

Intentionally vague to inspire those that may not have a lot of time to ride, but still want to do something fun.

Don't be mad because you're 90th place in the sleaze ride standings. :P

You're welcome to ride up 41st st 20 times to beat me at my own game if you like!

peterw_diy
03-12-2015, 12:10 PM
I simply paused my Garmin on the parts there were negative elevation

ISTM we could use a formal definition of sandbagging. :-)

ebubar
03-12-2015, 12:23 PM
You're welcome to ride up 41st st 20 times to beat me at my own game if you like!

I've pondered doing this. But getting there is 10 miles. Home is another 10 miles (which I probably couldn't manage after riding up 41st 20 times :p). Just beware lest Eric Williams decide to do this. He LOVES a good hill challenge!

ShawnoftheDread
03-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Hmmm... A disagreement between a spirit-of-sleaze violator and History's Greatest Monster. Pretty easy to take sides here.

rcannon100
03-12-2015, 12:32 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

lordofthemark
03-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Some people have friends.

Its hard enough explaining to mine about freezing saddles (especially the ones who are delighted its finally warm enough to bike ;) ) Getting them to cooperate in finding a way to win a pointless side bet would confirm them that I have, at last, totally lost it.

jrenaut
03-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Its hard enough explaining to mine about freezing saddles (especially the ones who are delighted its finally warm enough to bike ;) ) Getting them to cooperate in finding a way to win a pointless side bet would confirm them that I have, at last, totally lost it.
In this instance they'd probably be right

americancyclo
03-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Hmmm... A disagreement between a spirit-of-sleaze violator and History's Greatest Monster. Pretty easy to take sides here.

For the record, I like puppies AND children.

Steve O
03-12-2015, 05:19 PM
I simply paused my Garmin on the parts that were negative elevation.

So you cropped in real time. Does the timing of the cropping matter? For instance, if I went back to the hill ride I took last Sunday and I had the technical savvy to clip out 25 miles and just leave the two steepest miles, would that count?

Don't be mad because you're 90th place in the sleaze ride standings. :P

I thought there was a pointless prize for 90th place. That's what I've been shooting for.

americancyclo
03-12-2015, 05:44 PM
if I went back to the hill ride I took last Sunday and I had the technical savvy to clip out 25 miles and just leave the two steepest miles, would that count?

yes, as long as it shows up as a sleaze day when i run the final numbers!

rcannon100
03-12-2015, 06:11 PM
I might have to ride up my driveway for a sleaze mile one of these day. Well.... but then Shaun will yell at me.

ShawnoftheDread
03-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Ride your driveway on your own time -- in April.

cvcalhoun
03-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Getting them to cooperate in finding a way to win a pointless side bet would confirm them that I have, at last, totally lost it.

What, you still have friends who don't believe they have already confirmed that you have totally lost it? Clearly, you just aren't trying hard enough!

Steve O
03-13-2015, 01:12 PM
yes, as long as it shows up as a sleaze day when i run the final numbers!

Okay, I misunderstood the intent of this prize at the beginning then. I thought it was intended for someone who did a short ride that was real hilly. Instead it appears it could be won by someone who rode any distance whatsoever but had two miles of steep parts in it somewhere. Clarified.

rcannon100
03-13-2015, 01:51 PM
As I asked this morning, what will we fight about when BAS2015 is over?

jrenaut
03-13-2015, 01:54 PM
As I asked this morning, what will we fight about when BAS2015 is over?
Blinking headlights on trails, calling your passes, vehicular cycling, whether or not water is wet.... I wouldn't worry.

cvcalhoun
03-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Okay, I misunderstood the intent of this prize at the beginning then. I thought it was intended for someone who did a short ride that was real hilly. Instead it appears it could be won by someone who rode any distance whatsoever but had two miles of steep parts in it somewhere. Clarified.
Only if the someone were willing to give up the points for the rest of the day's rides. Personally, I'm voting that we encourage everyone in Octothorpe to try for this prize every day for the rest of Freezing Saddles.

DismalScientist
03-14-2015, 10:50 PM
https://www.strava.com/activities/249462449

I got ripped off. Now I see why people pay big bucks for Garmins. My phone couldn't tell whether I was in the street or on folk's lawns. This ride should have killed yours since it was a 9.4% grade, while your segment says 6.4%. Oh well, here it is: http://www.strava.com/activities/268295769

hozn
03-19-2015, 08:17 AM
A quick update. I'm working on Rod's Eddington Number (as it pertains to cycling, not astrophysics) leaderboard. I have a suspicion we may have multiple people with the same value, but maybe there will be a clear winner. (Actually, I'm not sure what the prize criteria were.) Of course, I would assume if the challenge is for highest E number the winner would be Eric ...

I am dedicating myself to do this purely in SQL which is proving challenging to me -- especially with the limitations of MySQL [which is my only option on the shared hosting provider].

I started by creating a view of the data that simply takes the truncated distance -- floor(ride.distance) -- and counts the number of times each person rode rides of that distance.

So, for a specific athlete, we might have a table like:

Dist Freq
8 7
6 10
3 5
1 2

Then I took that data and changed the frequency to the sum of frequency for all distances >= each distance. Meaning that really, in the chart above the 1 mile ride was done 24 times, not 2.

Dist Freq
8 7
6 17
3 22
1 24

And then, the tricky part (for MySQL especially) is realizing that the E number for this rider (assuming I've understood this correctly) is actually a number that falls between the distance values -- it is 7. Because they rode [at least] 7 miles 7 times.

So to do that, I have to fill in the gaps in the distances, joining against a table of incrementing numbers. In other database (like postgres) this is easy to do at runtime; in MySQL you just have to create a table or view of just pure numbers and then join that up. So the result will look like:

Dist Freq
8 7
7 7
6 17
5 17
4 17
3 22
2 22
1 24

That part isn't actually quite done, though I finally had a breakthrough before going to bed on how I'd accomplish this. It would have been so trivial to just pull the values into a python script and do it the naive way. But this is much more fun.

Oh, my E number for FS2015 period is 18. Made me realize how few long rides I've done this winter. Thanks to not being on a real team. :)

dkel
03-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Huh? :confused:

Raymo853
03-19-2015, 08:39 AM
I got ripped off. Now I see why people pay big bucks for Garmins. My phone couldn't tell whether I was in the street or on folk's lawns. This ride should have killed yours since it was a 9.4% grade, while your segment says 6.4%. Oh well, here it is: http://www.strava.com/activities/268295769

Smart phones are not GPS units. Smart phones are not GPS units. Well designed smart phones will have GPS receivers, but only use them as a last resort. It is much quicker, less processor intensive (aka less battery drain) and more beneficial to their data collection to locate you using by using the towers, wifi fields, heatmaps of past users and already mapped data.

https://raymoinledroit.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/garmin-versus-iphone_750.png

Sunyata
03-19-2015, 08:56 AM

My thoughts exactly. I guess this is why I am in public safety instead of... whatever that was (statistics? programming? Yiddish?).

hozn
03-19-2015, 09:24 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Eddington#Eddington_number_for_cycling

Eddington number for cycling[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Arthur_Eddington&action=edit&section=9)]

Eddington is credited with devising a measure of a cyclist's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling) long-distance riding achievements. The Eddington number in the context of cycling is defined as the maximum number E such that the cyclist has cycled E miles on E days.[14] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Eddington#cite_note-14)[15] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Eddington#cite_note-15) For example an Eddington number of 70 would imply that the cyclist has cycled at least 70 miles in a day on 70 occasions. Achieving a high Eddington number is difficult since moving from, say, 70 to 75 will probably require more than five new long distance rides since any rides shorter than 75 miles will no longer be included in the reckoning. Eddington's own E-number was 84.[16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Eddington#cite_note-16)

I just realized in reading this that I may need to change my calculations to do *per day* as opposed to *per ride*. That should be an easy change.

jrenaut
03-19-2015, 09:33 AM
It would have been so trivial to just pull the values into a python script and do it the naive way.
Python is always the answer. Unless it's a Javascript question, and then the answer is either "No, you should never do that, step away from the computer right now" or "JQuery".

rcannon100
03-19-2015, 09:57 AM
I think my Eddington number is like 7.

chris_s
03-19-2015, 11:30 AM
And then, the tricky part (for MySQL especially) is realizing that the E number for this rider (assuming I've understood this correctly) is actually a number that falls between the distance values -- it is 7. Because they rode [at least] 7 miles 7 times.

OOoooo....tricksey!

Steve O
03-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Okay, I missed the post that announced this Eddington pointless prize in the first place; it's not on my official list. Please point me or advise me.
Thanks,
Steve

wheels&wings
03-19-2015, 12:22 PM
I would like to sign up to present three pointless prizes.

1.Sleaze Queen.

2.The person who logs the longest ride (the farthest distance). There is still time to win this one!

3.Night-owl prize for riding between midnight and 4 a.m….. I am currently sorting out the data details with Hans.

Looking forward to our celebrations next week! w&w

hozn
03-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Okay, I missed the post that announced this Eddington pointless prize in the first place; it's not on my official list. Please point me or advise me.
Thanks,
Steve

Oh, I thought @Rod_Smith was doing the E Number prize. Initially he had asked me about it on Facebook, but I thought there was a followup about that here somewhere. Maybe my mistake. Hours I will never get back! :)

dkel
03-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Oh, I thought @Rod_Smith was doing the E Number prize. Initially he had asked me about it on Facebook, but I thought there was a followup about that here somewhere. Maybe my mistake. Hours I will never get back! :)

Well, I learned something by this discussion, and figured out my number is 22 for the duration of BAFS2015. Cool! So, thanks.

hozn
03-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Well, I learned something by this discussion, and figured out my number is 22 for the duration of BAFS2015. Cool! So, thanks.
Did you just calculate it by hand (looking at your list of ride distances)?

CPTJohnC
03-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Okay -- since today is the last day, I guess it is time to connect with the appropriate data capturing guru to figure out who will receive the fruits of my baking labor (I'd like to know who they are so I can coordinate with the recipient to avoid any food allergy or other issues with their 'prize').

I believe both of my prizes are quite simple, from a data standpoint, but I'm happy to do any calculating needed (My abacus is at the ready!)

Who should I touch base with?

dkel
03-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Did you just calculate it by hand (looking at your list of ride distances)?

Yes. It took a lot of trial and error. I also could have totally done it wrong. :p

hozn
03-19-2015, 01:40 PM
Yes. It took a lot of trial and error. I also could have totally done it wrong. :p

I think you did it wrong :) My calculations show yours as 18. Like mine! The highest E number in the system is 33.

dkel
03-19-2015, 01:42 PM
I think you did it wrong :) My calculations show yours as 18. Like mine! The highest E number in the system is 33.

Do you have to hit the targeted mileage the same number of days, or just go at least that far in that many days?

dkel
03-19-2015, 01:50 PM

You're doing rides and not days, I guess. That would be 18 for me, then. I like days better, because there are occasions and reasons to divide a ride into parts (though there are lots of other reasons that two rides at different times of day really aren't anything like one ride!). BAFS is about days, anyway.

hozn
03-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Do you have to hit the targeted mileage the same number of days, or just go at least that far in that many days?

Oh, actually ... I didn't correct yet to do "daily" mileage instead of per-ride. Sorry, you are very possibly correct after all!

Crickey7
03-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Was there a hamster wheel competition, for the rider with the greatest number of trips of almost exactly the same length?

dkel
03-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Oh, actually ... I didn't correct yet to do "daily" mileage instead of per-ride. Sorry, you are very possibly correct after all!

I have a feeling all the numbers are going to go up a bit if it is a "daily" metric. Good for everyone!!

hozn
03-19-2015, 01:58 PM
You're doing rides and not days, I guess. That would be 18 for me, then. I like days better, because there are occasions and reasons to divide a ride into parts (though there are lots of other reasons that two rides at different times of day really aren't anything like one ride!). BAFS is about days, anyway.

Yes, you're right. Sorry! Your number is 22 as you said, when you use days. I agree; days are better. Some folks like to start/stop their GPS units more than others.

The hightest number is now 38!

vvill
03-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Yes, you're right. Sorry! Your number is 22 as you said, when you use days. I agree; days are better. Some folks like to start/stop their GPS units more than others.

The hightest number is now 38!

dcv?

Justin Antos
03-19-2015, 02:11 PM
I love this Eddington number thing. How delightfully nerdy - arbitrary yet revealing at the same time. Hozn is it up on the website?
Also... could it be calc'ed at the team level? Just sum on the team's daily mileage?

jrenaut
03-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Some folks like to start/stop their GPS units more than others.
Those of us who use smart phones are more likely to stop and start more often, too. And my typical day is four rides - to school with the kids, to work without, to school without, home with the kids. So four rides, two tagged #kidical. I think I do have the highest number of rides in the competition, even though a lot of them would be recorded by many people as single rides.

hozn
03-19-2015, 02:21 PM
I love this Eddington number thing. How delightfully nerdy - arbitrary yet revealing at the same time. Hozn is it up on the website?
Also... could it be calc'ed at the team level? Just sum on the team's daily mileage?

Yeah, we could do it at the team level. It's not up on the site yet; I have some SQL views (I think you might still have db access?). I will put it up soon ... tonight? I dunno; I have a few other pointless prize datasets to calculate, I think. I need to find out if Rod even cares anymore (I'll put it up even if he doesn't).

hozn
03-19-2015, 02:23 PM
dcv?

Maybe! dcv is definitely up there. I'm going to keep the winner a secret in case Rod cares that it not be public before award is presented. If he doesn't care, I'll put an enumber leaderboard on the website.

Phatboing
03-19-2015, 02:54 PM
I'm totally guessing, but I'm pretty sure my E number is 13.

kwarkentien
03-19-2015, 04:41 PM
I would like to sign up to present three pointless prizes.

1.Sleaze Queen.

w&w, may I steal the presentation honors for this one away from you? As the reigning Queen, I feel it is my duty to pass along the mantle to the new Queen.

CPTJohnC
03-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Was there a hamster wheel competition, for the rider with the greatest number of trips of almost exactly the same length?

That's pretty close to my offered Mr/Ms consistency. I have a few conditions, but my prize is for the lowest variance in daily ride average.

wheels&wings
03-20-2015, 12:06 PM
w&w, may I steal the presentation honors for this one away from you? As the reigning Queen, I feel it is my duty to pass along the mantle to the new Queen.

I'd be happy to award the second-place Sleaze Queen. As a Bipolar Bear, I'd like to note that there is something extra special about second place. Just sayin'. :+)

Steve O
03-21-2015, 01:17 AM
Here's the list of Pointless Prizes and who has volunteered to be responsible for that prize. Please contact me with any discrepancies. You may still volunteer to award a prize if there's something you think worth recognizing that is not already listed here.
----------------
Every Day riders - tawdryaudre
Mr./Ms. Consistency – CPTJohnC
Sleaze Queens – kwarkentien / wheels&wings
Longest ride – wheels&wings
Night Owl – wheels&wings
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird - Amalitza
Anchor award – ronwalf
Tortoise – elwbikes
Cabi TT – Rod Smith
Beerneuring – sjclaeys
“Name” TBA – Steve O
Bicycle Icicles – Steve O
(??? Yes? No?) Eddington number – Rod Smith

Side Bets – Mikey
FSSB #6 - We the People

CPTJohnC
03-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Here's the list of Pointless Prizes and who has volunteered to be responsible for that prize. Please contact me with any discrepancies. You may still volunteer to award a prize if there's something you think worth recognizing that is not already listed here.
----------------
Every Day riders - tawdryaudre
Mr./Ms. Consistency – CPTJohnC
Sleaze Queens – kwarkentien / wheels&wings
Longest ride – wheels&wings
Night Owl – wheels&wings
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird - Amalitza
Anchor award – ronwalf
Tortoise – elwbikes
Cabi TT – Rod Smith
Beerneuring – sjclaeys
“Name” TBA – Steve O
Bicycle Icicles – Steve O
(??? Yes? No?) Eddington number – Rod Smith

Side Bets – Mikey
FSSB #6 - We the People

Since I do not believe I ever clarified, the X in my first PP is going to be 11 which continues my trend of using my team's identifying # as the reference point. I will note that I have no idea whatsoever who might be in the running. I do, however, reserve the right to change this in future years in an act of caprice. As with last year, I do require the winner to be an activ-ish participant, so the average must be greater than 2 (to eliminate the "I only do sleaze" rider) and they must have ridden at least 1 time in each of the three calendar months. This might be a bit more relaxed than last year's standards, but... It's my Pointless Prize, so I get to make the rules, right?

Vicegrip
03-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Well my method of calculating the elevation for March has proven to not work. Is there a way to see the amount of elevation climed for March?

americancyclo
03-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Well my method of calculating the elevation for March has proven to not work. Is there a way to see the amount of elevation climed for March?

get at Hozn!

hozn
03-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Yeah, if anyone needs stats or db access, and hasnt already gotten on touch, please shoot me a pm or even better an email (hans at velum dot net) describing what you need (as detailed as possible).

Steve O
03-24-2015, 11:40 PM
kwarkentien has volunteered to help manage the scarf distribution at the Happy Hour. Thank you!
As per the official scarf posting (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=108088#post108088), 40 scarves go to the 40 eligible riders who rode the most days. If you rode 68 or more days, and are not on the list of previous recipients (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=108088#post108088) (or informed me otherwise, one way or the other), then there will be a scarf for you at the Happy Hour.

Ten other eligible riders who rode at least 20 days have been selected at random and will also have scarves at the Happy Hour. To create suspense, I will post that list on Friday.

If you are unable to come to HH, the scarf is still yours. Either designate someone to pick it up for you, or it will go back to Bike Arlington and you can arrange to pick it up or have it picked up at some point in the future.

Congratulations! See you Friday.

vern
03-25-2015, 08:39 PM
kwarkentien has volunteered to help manage the scarf distribution at the Happy Hour. Thank you!
As per the official scarf posting (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=108088#post108088), 40 scarves go to the 40 eligible riders who rode the most days. If you rode 68 or more days, and are not on the list of previous recipients (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=108088#post108088) (or informed me otherwise, one way or the other), then there will be a scarf for you at the Happy Hour.

Ten other eligible riders who rode at least 20 days have been selected at random and will also have scarves at the Happy Hour. To create suspense, I will post that list on Friday.

If you are unable to come to HH, the scarf is still yours. Either designate someone to pick it up for you, or it will go back to Bike Arlington and you can arrange to pick it up or have it picked up at some point in the future.

Congratulations! See you Friday.

oh, so sad! I rode but 66 days, and while I finished 24th overall, I might not get a scarf!

Steve O
03-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Well, I learned something by this discussion, and figured out my number is 22 for the duration of BAFS2015.

Better than me. I just did mine and came up with 19 (but, oh so close to 20).

Justin Antos
03-26-2015, 12:15 AM
Does anyone need prize material? I've got some bike schwag/gear/-related items that could stand in for a "prize" if need be.

americancyclo
03-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Does anyone need prize material? I've got some bike schwag/gear/-related items that could stand in for a "prize" if need be.

Tired of the kid already?

Phatboing
03-26-2015, 12:10 PM

Me!

For ... uh... the side-bet about who can be me the best. Pretty sure I nailed it.

elwbikes
03-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Hey,
I have a prize to award someone I know will not be at the HH. Should I give it to them later, or give it to the second place person (er, second place in my category I'm awarding for)? Thanks!

Emma

Steve O
03-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Hey,
I have a prize to award someone I know will not be at the HH. Should I give it to them later, or give it to the second place person (er, second place in my category I'm awarding for)? Thanks!

Emma

You choose. It's your prize to award, so you make the rules.

Steve O
03-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Drum roll, please.

The winners of the 10 BA scarves, selected by double-blind random drawing, despite rcannon's dogged efforts to gum up the process, are:

Chris Sl
Dana B
Terp F
Trey H
Sara L
Lisa S
Jeremy C
Andrea P
Kristina D
Ian W

You may collect your scarf from kwarkentien at the Happy Hour.

As per this previous post (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=112256#post112256), the 40 additional eligible riders who rode at least 68 days during the game also get a scarf. kwarkentien has the list.

See you soon.

peterw_diy
03-27-2015, 06:16 PM
You choose. It's your prize to award, so you make the rules.
Do not apply that logic to my scarf or team jersey! Please!!!

Steve O
04-05-2015, 09:44 PM
For those who were unable to attend the Happy Hour, I suggest that we Pointless Prize awarders share with everyone the various prizes and winners. I already posted the winners of the Creative Ride Titles Pointless Prize (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8368-quot-Official-quot-BAFS15-Happy-Hour-Thread&p=112592#post112592) and Steve Claeys posted the winners of the beerneuring (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8071-FSSB-4-Beerneuring&p=111937#post111937) side bet. There's also a separate thread with the Best of BAFS2015 photographs (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8401-Best-of-BAFS2015).

In addition to the Creative Ride Titles, I also awarded the "Name" TBA award. I titled it deliberately to keep it mysterious. The "Name" was Chris (or variation). I'm not sure what it is about FS that attracts people with this name, but fully 14 players--more than 10%--share this name. They are:

Chris A
Chris M
Chris Ra
Chris Re
Chris Sh
Chris Sl
Chris T
Chris W
Christopher F
Christopher N
Christy R
Kris N
Kristi B
Kristina D

For their outstanding achievement, those who attended the happy hour were awarded a bag of, what else, Crisps.

wheels&wings
04-06-2015, 11:35 PM
I gave awards to six people.

Night Owls
Freezing Saddles had 29 night owls who started rides between midnight and 4 a.m.
I had prizes for the top three owls…
Eric Weisz (11 rides)
Scott McConnell (7)
Kathy Lewis (6)
What sort of shady business were they up to, riding in the middle of the night?
The lucky winners received caffeinated Jelly Bellies to help stay awake at the handlebars.
The certificates include a limerick:
In the sinister darkness of night
Glide these bikes like a raptor in flight
Were they hopping the bars?
Claiming roads back from cars?
Pre-storm sleaze before streets turn to white?

Sleaze Queen – 2nd place
Karen Warkentien, the second place queen, was honored for her 57 days of sleaze. Here’s what I said:
UNFORTUNATELY I did not qualify to award the first-place sleaze queen, not coming from such royal lineage myself.
FORTUNATELY we have a second-place sleaze-winner, and as a Bipolar Bear I happen to have a special fondness for second place.
UNFORTUNATELY as a public health professional I have been very concerned about all this sleaze taking place in Freezing Saddles.
FORTUNATELY I was able to make Karen a special necklace using components from the Famous Men’s Wear Brand Trojan Her Pleasure.
UNFORTUNATELY my aim wasn’t very good with the hole puncher.
FORTUNATELY we are all bicycling people so I know we all carry a patch kit!

I then gave awards to our Longest distance riders…Kurt Mickelwait and Chris Shue.
Initially I was thinking I’d only need to make one special necklace, but then I realized that Kurt and Chris had better wear one too, ‘cause these guys are serious studs.
Kurt took a ride of 209.723 miles
and
Chris went for a ride of 204.974 miles,
Besides the lovely necklaces and certificates, each winner received cookies from Whole Foods.
Given the sleaze queen’s predilection for …um…[edit]…one-mile rides… we know she likes good things in small doses. Karen received a carton of single serving packets of chocolate chip cookies.
As for Kurt and Chris – these guys do not hold back. Why stop at a serving when you can inhale a whole box?
Congratulations to all.

Subby
04-07-2015, 09:41 AM
wheels&wings gets what pointless prizes are all about - nice job!

Steve O
05-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Yes, it's never really the end of Freezing Saddles. I still have some Bicycle Icicles lying around. I will bring them to Rosslyn on Friday (I'm volunteering there; leaving around 8:05). Seek me out if you are one of these people, or if you know one of these people and can deliver their icicle to them:

Anthony N
Chris Re
Chris W
Christy R
Daniel P
Eric B
Jali
Jeff L
Lena V
Nick W
Sethpo
Sherry L