PDA

View Full Version : Apologies to my Teammates

rcannon100
01-02-2015, 08:00 PM
There is a bit less than one week till we find out who our beloved team members are. And yet, already we have seen a few honorable souls jump the gun and declare apologies for their failings.

I believe this deserves a thread of its own. Sort of like Catholic confession, or an AA meeting. You dont know who is on your team ~ but you know one thing ~ you have already let them down miserably.

This thread is dedicated to your apologies.

Allow me to get things along.

Forgive me teammates, for I have sinned. It has been a couple of hours since my last sleaze ride. Grant me the serenity To accept the teammates I cannot change, Courage to comply with Rule #9, and wisdom to know the difference between a balakava and baklava. Quando omni flunkus moritati. I'm a cyclist, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

First, I want to apologize for my new bike light. That's not really a problem. I got it in my stocking. Santa Claus must have gotten my Instant Message. It's about 3000 lumens and any Ninja is gonna get lazer beamed out of the way.

Second, I want to apologize for March 2nd. On March 2nd it will occur to me what a massively moronic endeavor this is - I will leave my bike at home, while riding the subway, which happens to be running on time and isnt packed like a sardine can - while listening to Wait Wait Dont Tell Me podcasts.

Finally, I want to apologize for Maryland. I wasnt born there but I grew up there. I was given my first car at age 15, six months before I could drive. It was a V8 Chevy Nova. Engine was so powerful it could pull small buildings. It drank gas so fast it was individually responsible for the gas shortage of the 1970s. In one of those chaos theories of how history is created, it was my massively horrific driving as a teenager down River Road that set the seed for what is today Maryland's miserable driving culture. For this, I apologize.

Now, please, its your turn. Please tell us how you will fail your yet-unknown-to-you team in the coming months.

Arlingtonrider
01-02-2015, 08:29 PM
OK, I'm amending this post to offer a prize for the best confession/apology on this thread during the course of the competition. One sentence limit. Must relate to the game. The two posts below both qualify. (We are still all winners just by being out riding.)

Mikey
01-02-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry there's only one of me. ;)

TwoWheelsDC
01-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Apologies to my teammates, but when school starts back up in two weeks and I don't have a regular AM/PM office commute, sleeping-in in my warm bed and sitting on my warm couch with my warm dog will take precedence over racking up cold BAFS points.

Raymo853
01-03-2015, 09:30 AM
To mine, I had high hopes to sleaze ride Fri and Sat, but am as ill as he-double toothpicks.

Amalitza
01-03-2015, 09:38 AM
I apologize deeply to my slacker teammates for the dismal slacking I have done so far this year, by riding my bicycle both on January 1 and on January 2. I will endeavor (er, not endeavor?) to do better (um, worse?) today.

vern
01-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I apologize for apologizing. I will try to be more of a cad for the remainder of FS2015.

LeslyJ
01-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Apologies to my future teammates, but my goal is to be queen of the sleaze ride!

KayakCyndi
01-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Apologies to my future teammates, but my goal is to be queen of the sleaze ride!

Good luck. I do believe that title is hotly contested!

Brünř Moore
01-03-2015, 01:52 PM
I apologize now for all the awful puns, bad jokes, and occasional worse Latin that go into my ride titles. The amount of groaning and lamentation will be prodigious—or will be if I'm doing things correctly.

kwarkentien
01-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Good luck. I do believe that title is hotly contested!

As the reigning "Queen of Sleaze, BAFS 2014," I can confirm that the title will indeed be hotly contested. :cool:

PotomacCyclist
01-03-2015, 02:40 PM
I apologize for not signing up for BAFS, although I did ride outside on Thursday.

dplasters
01-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Apologies not accepted.

:p

DismalScientist
01-05-2015, 11:01 AM
I must apologize to my future teammates, for I plan to take a dive in 2015. This way I can get my handicap down so as to completely dominate FS2016.:rolleyes:

DCAKen
01-05-2015, 11:05 AM
I apologize to my teammates for putting on another layer on sunscreen as I recline poolside on my February Caribbean cruise while you put on another layer of clothes as you shiver through another February polar vortex.

Brünř Moore
01-05-2015, 11:12 AM
I apologize to my teammates for putting on another layer on sunscreen as I recline poolside on my February Caribbean cruise while you put on another layer of clothes as you shiver through another February polar vortex.

If there is a velodrome (or somewhere to ride) on that boat, I want to see the Strava track. Going in circles on a moving ship in the middle of the ocean would be cool.

Otherwise, we'll just take solace in the fact that, snotcicles notwithstanding, we get to ride and you don't.

Tim Kelley
01-05-2015, 11:35 AM
If there is a velodrome (or somewhere to ride) on that boat, I want to see the Strava track. Going in circles on a moving ship in the middle of the ocean would be cool.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/fun-with-garmin-gps-while-running-on.html

Dickie
01-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Santa gave me vertigo and a severe cold, I apologize for being naughty all year.

Sunyata
01-06-2015, 08:22 AM
To my Future Teammates:

I apologize for not riding the past two days (and probably today, too) because the "football playoff fairy" gave me food poisoning. :mad:

ramblingrider
01-06-2015, 08:40 AM
I apologize for not having appropriate winter tires or a fat bike for the snow.

(I'm working on it, though)

Arlingtonrider
01-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Ramblingrider - bikeshare may a good interim solution. Disk brakes, nice wide tires, . . .

cyclingfool
01-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Ramblingrider - bikeshare!

I'm pretty sure I saw someone doing just that this morning in Del Ray. Looked like a rider I normally see on a road bike, but this AM he was on a CaBi. It's a good strategy, and you're not having to worry about cleaning up the salty slushy that gets on your frame and drive train.

ramblingrider
01-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Ramblingrider - bikeshare may a good interim solution. Disk brakes, nice wide tires, . . .

I've done that in the past, and very much enjoy the ride on CaBis! I still have to go a few miles just to get to a Bikeshare station, however, so I'm hoping my tires come in soon so that I can start more commuting from home.

Megabeth
01-06-2015, 02:30 PM
I would like to apologize to my non-existent teammates. Didn't sign up this year because I have to have surgery on my Achilles on the 29th. I knew it was coming and didn't want to take a slot up and have to apologize for realz. But, I'll be ready to go in 2016! (Also, I did ride my bike in to work today...can I gift points to someone?) ;)7359

ian74
01-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Here's my apologies in advance. After my fall last Sunday on WET roads, there is no way I'm going out there to brave the ice. My knee is janky and the goose egg on my butt are already a reminder of my lack of sure footedness. Cold and dry I can do. Not like this though. Also, I saw someone post that the CCT isn't cleared from DC to the MD line. I won't try to commute on that until it thaws and melts.

Sorry team! I swear I'll make up the miles, and make a few sleaze attempts when I can!

ebubar
01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Here's my apologies in advance. After my fall last Sunday on WET roads, there is no way I'm going out there to brave the ice. My knee is janky and the goose egg on my butt are already a reminder of my lack of sure footedness. Cold and dry I can do. Not like this though. Also, I saw someone post that the CCT isn't cleared from DC to the MD line. I won't try to commute on that until it thaws and melts.

Sorry team! I swear I'll make up the miles, and make a few sleaze attempts when I can!

Around this time last year I had to start bailing on the CCT and just go through the city for the rest of the winter. Plowing the CCT doesn't help me much when Sligo Trail and GBT see no work. With all the shade and cold, they'll be icy for at least the rest of the week.

I just hope that enough of the roads got plowed enough to clear out ice for tomorrow morning. But I suspect I'll be metroing :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian74
01-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Around this time last year I had to start bailing on the CCT and just go through the city for the rest of the winter. Plowing the CCT doesn't help me much when Sligo Trail and GBT see no work. With all the shade and cold, they'll be icy for at least the rest of the week.

I just hope that enough of the roads got plowed enough to clear out ice for tomorrow morning. But I suspect I'll be metroing :(

Hmmm, I'm heading north to Bethesda from Alexandria on my commute. Should I ride up Wisconsin? I don't know any easier way to get up there besides the CCT, but riding up Wisconsin scares me.

ebubar
01-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Hmmm, I'm heading north to Bethesda from Alexandria on my commute. Should I ride up Wisconsin? I don't know any easier way to get up there besides the CCT, but riding up Wisconsin scares me.

They're plowing the CCT this year and apparently did a good job (at least in MD). Perhaps others who actually rode the trail can report! Check on the Twitter feeds of @bikeeveryday and @cctravails. They send good updates!

jrenaut
01-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Apologies to my teammates - this is my second BAFS, and first sleaze day.

CPTJohnC
01-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Apologies to my future teammates: Today I waited until 9PM to take my first snow ride of BAFS (to maintain 100% riding days), instead of going out this morning, while it was still snowing. regrettably, I telecommuted today, so I shamelessly spent the day warm, dry and sitting on my butt wearing my favorite loungewear.

historygeek
01-07-2015, 06:30 AM
I apologize to my future teammates for being naughty last year. Surely, Santa would have brought me snow tires if I'd been nice.

KelOnWheels
01-07-2015, 08:47 AM
I apologize for having an uncanny ability to get sick right at the beginning of #BAFS for two years running now :P

Powerful Pete
01-07-2015, 08:54 AM
I apologise for not commuting in to work today. Not feeling very well, and on top of it all have a nagging achilles' tendon pain that is very bothersome. :mad:

Will endeavor to sleaze ride thanks to CaBi... ;)

Greenbelt
01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm getting older and bones brittler; not riding far on days with black ice on the streets and glaciated footprints on the trails.

creadinger
01-07-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm getting older and bones brittler; not riding far on days with black ice on the streets and glaciated footprints on the trails.

"far"? How about at all? Sorry to my teammates, but I'm not risking a broken collarbone, elbow, wrist or whatever by riding on ice to get 11 points in BAFS.

Greenbelt
01-07-2015, 10:46 AM
"far"? How about at all? Sorry to my teammates, but I'm not risking a broken collarbone, elbow, wrist or whatever by riding on ice to get 11 points in BAFS.

I had a blast on the fresh snow yesterday, but 2nd and 3rd day ice is less fun. And since the main reason for riding is fun, then... I will usually get in at least one purposeful ride per day though, despite the weather, if only to the store or Metro. Not going to try to bust it all the way downtown on marginal days this winter just to spite Metro like I did for a couple years. I've forgiven them. The statute of limitations on their transgressions is over.

ShawnoftheDread
01-07-2015, 11:10 AM
The statute of limitations on their transgressions is over.

They'll reset it soon enough.

PeteD
01-07-2015, 11:49 AM
I apologize for not having a bike that can handle tires >28mm (and the accompanying ice and snow). I apologize for being at S-1 :/

Powerful Pete
01-07-2015, 12:26 PM
I apologise for my first sleaze ride. Slightly over 5km. I feel dirty.

But it was oh so good.:cool:

ShawnoftheDread
01-07-2015, 12:40 PM
That's a legit distance, not sleaze at all.

cyclingfool
01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
1 mile < sleaze < 2 miles
5 km > 2 miles
Ergo, by the transitive property, we can say that 5 km is not sleaze.

Powerful Pete
01-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Very well, I stand corrected... :)

Terpfan
01-07-2015, 02:57 PM
I apologize that I will likely record no points the next three days as I'm traveling to the Big Easy for work, where evidently it's barely any warmer than here. I think I will be only person who goes to the Gulf Coast and still confronts windchills below freezing. Bah. At least they have good food.

Steve O
01-07-2015, 04:07 PM
I apologize that I will likely record no points the next three days as I'm traveling to the Big Easy for work.

I don't think apologies are necessary. It's only a small minority of riders who actually ride every single day. I already missed one on purpose so I don't go crazy trying for perfect attendance (and I don't apologize, so plblblblbbblbl!)

Last year's middle 50% (ignoring the top and bottom quartiles) rode between 37 and 72 days of the 78 total days. So missing 3 is no big deal.

Rod Smith
01-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Go to a bike shop in New Orleans and test ride a bike you're interested in purchasing.