PDA

View Full Version : Pointless prize - Stout for the Stout

Alcova cyclist
12-30-2014, 09:38 AM
So I volunteered to do a pointless prize and am looking for some advice.

I've done most of the hard part already - the prize itself is currently in second stage fermentation, mingling nicely with some whiskey-soaked wood chips. It will go into bottles in another 3-4 weeks and should be perfectly aged by March 19th.

I am trying to figure out how to determine the awardees (I think I will designate multiple recipients). I looked at last year's data on the FS website and it has some data mining already in place I could use to determine the "stoutest of the stout," but I may want to use some other way of slicing the data. How accessible is the data if I wanted to come up with my own formula (e.g. most miles ridden on days that capital weather gang rates a "0 out of ten" or other more ridiculous / complicated calculation)? Is it possible to download and manipulate ride data myself? Or do I ask the Keepers of the Stats(TM) to do this for me or what?

I am leaning towards something like percentage of miles ridden in "truly bad" conditions however I define (and can calculate) them -- so lower mileage riders who keep on chugging when the weather is awful have an equal shot as the high mileage riders. Or I could just be arbitrary and capricious. Or some combination of the two.

Thoughts?

Steve O
12-31-2014, 06:14 PM
Last year there was a prize for the rider who lost the most weight. Maybe you could make yours "Stout for the formerly stout."

jrenaut
12-31-2014, 06:27 PM
I helped some people last year with this sort of thing, and anticipate doing it again this year, though I've been much busier this year than last, so it might be a little tough. However, if you can identify a publicly available dataset that would make your vision work, we can probably integrate it.

hozn
12-31-2014, 07:10 PM
I am more than happy to give out database access. You may be limited by the fidelity of the data we are collecting/storing, but there is a lot there we aren't using. -- or are using minimally for things like the "number of hours in snow". I am happy to expand the data we collect; however, I too am very time limited and I would like to make some improvements to the website -- like photo streams. So it works best when people can help themselves :-) -- but we a want the same thing: to make freezing saddles awesome.

Just PM me for database access.