PDA

View Full Version : Forum Happy Hour @ Jay's Saloon, THIS Wed (June 8th), 6pm

Mark Blacknell
06-07-2011, 10:04 AM
As we sorted out in the previous thread, there's an informal forum happy hour going on at Jay's Saloon at 6pm on Wednesday. The address is 3114 10th Street North, Arlington, VA 22201, and it's easily accessible by bike, Metro (Clarendon), or car.

I'll probably get there a little before six to see if I can't start snatching up a few outdoor tables. I imagine that the group will ebb and flow over a couple of hours, so no worries if you can't show until 7.

If anyone has any questions, post 'em here. I look forward to seeing everyone.

acc
06-07-2011, 02:57 PM
One of the nice things about this forum is its inclusivity. I hope that everyone feels welcome at tomorrow's event, whether you post often, seldom, or never. I lurked here for several months without saying a word, simply reading and learning. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the opportunity to talk about bikes, places to ride, more importantly places to eat after riding and meeting people who enjoy the same sport I do. Plus, I think swag will be raining down upon us.

ann

DaveK
06-07-2011, 03:56 PM
One of the nice things about this forum is its inclusivity. I hope that everyone feels welcome at tomorrow's event, whether you post often, seldom, or never. I lurked here for several months without saying a word, simply reading and learning. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the opportunity to talk about bikes, places to ride, more importantly places to eat after riding and meeting people who enjoy the same sport I do. Plus, I think swag will be raining down upon us.

ann

Anywhere Tim Kelley goes, Bike Arlington swag will follow.

baiskeli
06-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Will be there.

Anyone going to be in that neighborhood earlier? I could get there by 5, and I want to check out the Clarendon Ballroom rooftop before going over to Jay's. Let me know if you want to connect.

-Rick

Dirt
06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I'll be there, but can't stay too long.

Mark Blacknell
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Will be there.

Anyone going to be in that neighborhood earlier? I could get there by 5, and I want to check out the Clarendon Ballroom rooftop before going over to Jay's. Let me know if you want to connect.

-Rick

Rick, you couldn't pay me enough to set foot inside Clarendon Ballroom (it is all that is unholy about Clarendon these days), but I'll otherwise be around before 6. :) Drop me an email.

CCrew
06-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Can't do it... While I'd LOVE to meet a bunch of the folks here I'm in the office now and hanging around town to 6pm makes for a *really* long day.

acc
06-08-2011, 05:32 AM
I believe there are several people who flex into work early. I hope another event this summer can accommodate alternative schedules, *cough cough attention Mr. Blacknell*

Dirt
06-08-2011, 07:13 AM
I adjusted my ensemble today to try to stem the flow of grumpiness that is oozing from my being. No luck. Even my pretty pink pirate outfit can't turn the tide of the festering negativity that is me. I love you all anyways. I'm going to go verbally abuse co-workers for no good reason. See y'all at grumpy hour.

I believe there are several people who flex into work early. I hope another event this summer can accommodate alternative schedules, *cough cough attention Mr. Blacknell*

NOONER! NOONER! NOONER! (I mean that in the second nicest way.)

Can't do it... While I'd LOVE to meet a bunch of the folks here I'm in the office now and hanging around town to 6pm makes for a *really* long day.
You pansy. ;)

Love,

Pete

baiskeli
06-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Rick, you couldn't pay me enough to set foot inside Clarendon Ballroom (it is all that is unholy about Clarendon these days), but I'll otherwise be around before 6. :) Drop me an email.

Never been to the Ballroom, that's why I wanted to take this chance to try it out. But maybe the hottest day of the year isn't the best day anyway.

CCrew
06-08-2011, 09:31 AM
You pansy. ;)

Naa, Pansy is my little brother. I'm Petunia. :)

jrenaut
06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Never been to the Ballroom, that's why I wanted to take this chance to try it out. But maybe the hottest day of the year isn't the best day anyway.
I spent some time with a crowd that hung out at the Ballroom six or seven years ago. On a nice day the roof is nice until it gets too crowded, but that happens quickly, and it goes downhill fast.

I can't make happy hour today, but I do love happy hour, and will make it to one as soon as I can.

Dirt
06-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Naa, Pansy is my little brother. I'm Petunia. :)
Nice to meet you Petunia. I'm a Cherry Blossom. :D

Perfect answer, by the way.

Have a good one.

Mark Blacknell
06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I spent some time with a crowd that hung out at the Ballroom six or seven years ago. On a nice day the roof is nice until it gets too crowded, but that happens quickly, and it goes downhill fast.

There's plenty of rooftop these days - Whitlow's, Eventide (never been up there, though- need to fix that), and the cleverly named Arlington Rooftop Bar & Grill (it's a rather curious space, from the outside, but I kinda dig it once inside).

I can't make happy hour today, but I do love happy hour, and will make it to one as soon as I can.
There will definitely be another one, and we'll move it around. (It's going to be far away for CCrew no matter what, though . . . )

CCrew
06-08-2011, 01:30 PM
There will definitely be another one, and we'll move it around. (It's going to be far away for CCrew no matter what, though . . . )

Arlington works just fine for me, just not today when I'll have to be back in @ 1am tomorrow, Sorry :( You could make the next one at my favorite artery clogging place.. We won't mention names but it's initials are Hellburger !

I am however now harassing you from my relaxing office in Winchester right now, isn't the interwebs wonderful? LOL

Mark Blacknell
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I think I'm going to go drown my tears in a beer, CCrew. Right now, in fact.

(I'll be there around 5:30, folks. Looking forward to seeing everyone.)

Dirt
06-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Hey kidlets. Today sucked quite a bit less because of you. Rock on! Thank you all.

skreaminquadz
06-08-2011, 08:20 PM
I had a great time - thanks for setting it up Mark. Also, thanks to Mark again for some nice cold beverages and Tim for some nice swag and apps. Awesome turn out and I enjoyed meeting everyone!

Mark Blacknell
06-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Yep, great to meet everyone, and thanks to Bike Arlington for the food & awesome Arlington bike bits. Turnout was great, and I look forward to future editions. (And I'm sorry i didn't get to introduce myself to Mr. Born to Be Wild)

acc
06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I can now die and go to heaven. I met a real honest to god Ironman who I will worship in a custom-built alter in my foyer as soon as I get the promised signed 5X7 autographed picture. Tim Kelley is indeed an Ironman. And I'm not saying this because I'm sucking up for all the really cool swag I received. I'd never do something like that. :-)

In case you missed the epic event, a terrific time was had by all. So many beautiful people in such a small space...

Thank you Mark and M. (god knows she's the brains there) for setting this up and making sure the evening was a success.

Happy trails,
ann

PS - Dirt is a real person. I saw him with my own eyes.

eminva
06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks to both Bike Arlington and Mark for the refreshments! And thanks for organizing it. I really enjoyed meeting all the people I read about. And thanks to Rick for riding west with me afterwards. Hope to see you all on the trails and roads soon!

Take care.

Liz

RESTONTODC
06-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Tim and Mark, thank you. I have a great time. It's a pleasure to meet all of you.

Hope to see you or ride with you on the trails soon.

Liz, let me know if you need someone to ride with you during the dark winter days.

Rick

StopMeansStop
06-08-2011, 11:07 PM
What fun! And great shwag too!

PotomacCyclist
06-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Did anyone take pictures at the happy hour? You do realize that if there are no pictures, it didn't really happen.

Dirt
06-09-2011, 05:01 AM
There are many, including myself that could offer evidence to the contrary. You may have seen me with your own 2 eyes, but that proves little. ;)

Did anyone take pictures at the happy hour? You do realize that if there are no pictures, it didn't really happen.

Tim took some. I'm sure he'll post up.

Thanks again, y'all. You are wonderful people. :D

Tim Kelley
06-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Great to see everyone and put names with faces. We'll definitely have to do this again sometime. Thanks to Mark for organizing!

Here's a picture I posted to twitter--I'll have to pull the rest off the digital camera later:

DismalScientist
06-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Nice meeting y'all.

baiskeli
06-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks for a great time. Let's do it again.

-Rick

baiskeli
06-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I can now die and go to heaven. I met a real honest to god Ironman who I will worship in a custom-built alter in my foyer as soon as I get the promised signed 5X7 autographed picture. Tim Kelley is indeed an Ironman. And I'm not saying this because I'm sucking up for all the really cool swag I received. I'd never do something like that. :-)

In case you missed the epic event, a terrific time was had by all. So many beautiful people in such a small space...

Thank you Mark and M. (god knows she's the brains there) for setting this up and making sure the evening was a success.

Happy trails,
ann

I shall build a shrine to worship all the nurse-lawyer-MFAs I met, and a tiny lock of Mark's fabulous hair that I secretly snipped.

CCrew
06-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Great to see everyone and put names with faces. We'll definitely have to do this again sometime. Thanks to Mark for organizing!

Here's a picture I posted to twitter--I'll have to pull the rest off the digital camera later:

I call foul. Not enough bike jersey's!

Sorry I missed it.

Dirt
06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I call foul. Not enough bike jersey's!
*Burp* I kinda liked the whole "We ride casual" vibe. I was probably over the top enough to compensate.

Sorry I missed it.
We missed you. We should do a crack-of-dawn "sleepy hour" at the Rosslyn crepe cart. Is that thing still there? What time do they open.?

CCrew
06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
We missed you. We should do a crack-of-dawn "sleepy hour" at the Rosslyn crepe cart. Is that thing still there? What time do they open.?

Rosslyn Starbucks is like 4 or 4:30 am :)

Justin Antos
06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Dang, I was on my way over to join you all, but two sequential flat tires on the Mt. Vernon trail last night prevented me. I finally emerged from Revolution Cycles with extra tubes and a kevlar tire at 8. Next time!

baiskeli
06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Dang, I was on my way over to join you all, but two sequential flat tires on the Mt. Vernon trail last night prevented me. I finally emerged from Revolution Cycles with extra tubes and a kevlar tire at 8. Next time!

Weird. I flatted on the way too - a total blowout. Had to limp to Revolution for a new tire first.

KLizotte
06-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Mucho thanks to the organizers, beer/food providers, swag givers. Except for the heat it was a great time and I hope we meet up again soon. Nice to be able to put a face to the online names.

Hats off to those of you who biked yesterday thru the furnace.

Kathy

Dirt
06-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Rosslyn Starbucks is like 4 or 4:30 am :)
Next time I have an early morning meeting, I'll give you warning. We can have the pre-dawn happy hour.

SteveTheTech
06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I guess I must have missed the obligatory junior member hazing. http://forums.nicoclub.com/images/smilies/crazy.gif

I forgot just about everything I wanted to bring. Next time I'll grab my camera. It was fun to roast a bit among good company,

A big thanks to Mark and Tim and everyone else for for making for a very fun happy hour.

Cheers,