PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Thread--Come say hi!

elwbikes
12-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Since there are a lot of us newbies (either to Freezing Saddles or the Forum)(defined as less than 20 posts), this thread gives you a chance to introduce yourself. I'm Emma (elwbikes), I did FS last year but have not been super-involved in the Forum (trying to change that). I had a great time and it encouraged me to ride more than I thought possible in the winter, and I'm now a year-round bike commuter. Now matter your goals, whether you are a weekend warrior, errandanneur, or commuter, or gravel grinder, I think you will enjoy the competition!

Mtansill
12-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

Hello! I'm Millie. I purchased a hybrid in May because I wanted to find a new healthy addiction. It seems to have worked so far. ;) I joined freezing saddles because I want to learn how to bike in the cold. Since my work is too far to commute via bike I guess I'm a weekend warrior, but I swear when there's more sunlight in the day I have the chance to ride on the weekdays as well! At least I try...

Well, that's what lights are for, right?

I'm looking forward to the fun. I'm also looking forward to the days getting longer starting... tomorrow!

Cheers,
Millie

MrTinDC
12-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Hi! I'm Ted aka @MrTinDC on Twitter and elsewhere. First time officially doing Freezing Saddles.

ramblingrider
12-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Hey there-- I'm Lisa, (@ramblingrider). Also my first time officially doing Freezing Saddles. I tend not to post much in forums.

ramblingrider
12-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Yay, Ted! Good to see you here.

jwetzel
12-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Howdy

First time participating in Frozen Saddles. I'm a bike for transportation and relaxation guy.

Alcova cyclist
12-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Good morning!

I'm Chris (@Alcova Cyclist) and have been and on-and-off commuter for several years. A recent job change and move made cycling a much better option (on) until I broke my hand in October (off), but now I am back in the saddle (on). Hoping BAFS will change my thought calculus when I am deciding whether to wimp out and take the bus instead this winter.

Chris

kdugan
12-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Hiya,
My name is Kristina Dugan, and this will be my first time cycling thru the winter months. I started bike commuting full time 2 months ago (thanks in large part to all the encouragement and inspiration from WABA's Women & Bicycles group) and thought Freezing Saddles would be that extra nudge to help get me through the cold weather ahead. Plus, a little competition never hurts either;)

jess65456
12-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi. I try to bike commute two or three days a week (during the winter, more during the summer). I'm eager for this extra push.

Arlingtonrider
12-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Welcome to all of you who have posted here so far, and thanks for the introductions!

Just in case any of you are in town and looking for an early bike ride the morning of Christmas Eve (or any other Weds), please know that you're invited to join us at Weds. "Hump Day" coffee club at Best Buns in Shirlington. These usually run from 7 am until about 8, but many of us are working a short day this Weds., so it'll probably run a lot longer than usual. We'd be delighted to have you join us!

TriGirlSara
12-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and to freezing saddles. I've been a road cyclist for most of my life (thanks to my dad who is a roadie!) and I more recently got into doing tris and cx. I haven't ever been much of a winter biker, though! Now that I live in woodley park, I have an easy bike commute to k street, but I'm hoping this challenge will motivate me to do some longer winter rides. I'm also looking forward to meeting more cyclists and hopefully I'll come out of the challenge with some new biking buddies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunyata
12-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Even though I am above the 20 post count, I am still fairly new to the forum and this will be my first year doing Freezing Saddles.

My name is Casey and I recently (in March) moved to the region (Fairlington) and try to travel as much as possible by bike. My work commute (to Clarendon) is pretty short, but I try to take the long way home to get in a few more miles. I am also an avid mountain biker and spend my weekends playing in the dirt. I am looking forward to this being my first winter of bike commuting and am ready for Mother Nature's worst (I have insulated boots, Bar Mitts, and a ton of SmartWool!).

I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the Happy Hour on the 8th!

Cheers to a great winter of riding!

colleen
12-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi all - I'm Colleen - first time Freezing Saddles participant. I love the commuter forum pages and the trail conditions threads were a must read last winter. I try to bike commute as much as possible and I'm hoping Freezing Saddles will encourage me this winter. I did today and I'm wondering if this will be my first evening bike commute in freezing rain. Good practice! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at coffee clubs and at the happy hour in January!

LMDVasquez
12-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

I am also a newbie to this forum and to the freezing saddles. I'm a year-round commuter (silver spring to rockville) and also avid rider of all forms of bikes and paths. Looking forward to connecting with everyone.

Lisa V

ebubar
12-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi all,

I am also a newbie to this forum and to the freezing saddles. I'm a year-round commuter (silver spring to rockville) and also avid rider of all forms of bikes and paths. Looking forward to connecting with everyone.

Lisa V

Another Silver Springer! You should join us for Tuesday coffee club at Kaldi's coffee bar in downtown Silver Spring from 7AM-8PM.

We coordinate a bunch through Twitter so hit me up on there if interested (@ebubar).

This of course goes for anyone interested in meeting some other Maryland commuters!

sammyiam
12-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Welcome to all of you who have posted here so far, and thanks for the introductions!

Just in case any of you are in town and looking for an early bike ride the morning of Christmas Eve (or any other Weds), please know that you're invited to join us at Weds. "Hump Day" coffee club at Best Buns in Shirlington. These usually run from 7 am until about 8, but many of us are working a short day this Weds., so it'll probably run a lot longer than usual. We'd be delighted to have you join us!

Good to know! I commute to the awful office building on King St by there and have a hard time joining the DC coffee clubs since they start when I usually get to work. I'll stop by some Wednesday!

Sam

majalya
12-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Hi! I'm Jali. I've been biking almost everyday to school and work since I moved to DC a bit over two years ago but have only started going on longer rides earlier this year. First time to join Freezing Saddles and am looking forward to it!

historygeek
12-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi, All. I'm Christy, and am new to both the forum and to freezing saddles-- but not to freezing rides. I commute from Hyattsville to Foggy Bottom as long as the roads aren't icy, but it's only in the last year that I started regularly biking in rain/bitter cold/other conditions that make it hard to put on your helmet in the morning. I'm hoping freezing saddles will motivate me on those days, like today, when it's cold and wet.

TwoWheelsDC
12-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Hi, All. I'm Christy, and am new to both the forum and to freezing saddles-- but not to freezing rides. I commute from Hyattsville to Foggy Bottom as long as the roads aren't icy, but it's only in the last year that I started regularly biking in rain/bitter cold/other conditions that make it hard to put on your helmet in the morning. I'm hoping freezing saddles will motivate me on those days, like today, when it's cold and wet.

"Liked" pretty much based on screen name alone.

historygeek
12-22-2014, 03:57 PM
"Liked" pretty much based on screen name alone.

Yeah. I'm also a historian.

TwoWheelsDC
12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Yeah. I'm also a historian.

Cooool. Any particular era/region/topic?

worktheweb
12-22-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm Ed, I'm relatively new to the forum but I've been commuting year-round for many years. My commute is about 28 miles a day (roundtrip) on my current route from the Mount Vernon area to DC. Tomorrow, I'm on-track to hit 3,000 miles for the year, and I'm looking forward to surpassing that in 2015. I also enjoy bike touring and have done the full C&O twice (once with the GAP added in from McKeesport), the Pine Creek Rail Trail, and a few overnights on the C&O for good measure.

I've always enjoyed riding in weather that people think I'm crazy to ride in. I've ridden in rain, snow, a tropical storm, ice, sleet, and in temperatures from 7F to around 115F. I'm looking forward to having some extra motivation to get out into the elements and test my mettle out there. One thing that has helped me in the resolve department is to pack the night before. That way it is actually more work to not bike than to hop on the saddle and go.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having a good time virtually braving the elements together. This is going to be fun.

TimV
12-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Hi all -

I'm Tim. I commute year round from Arlington/Falls Church to Herndon.

I've been following the forum intermittently this year.

I'm looking forward to participating in Freezing Saddles and meeting more of my fellow riders.

dkel
12-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Hi all -

I'm Tim. I commute year round from Arlington/Falls Church to Herndon.

I've been following the forum intermittently this year.

I'm looking forward to participating in Freezing Saddles and meeting more of my fellow riders.

Be sure to check out coffee clubs in Vienna on Thursdays (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=11&day=2014-12-4&c=4) and Herndon on Fridays (which isn't on the calendar for some reason, but the thread about it is here (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?5101-FMCC-III-(Herndon)); never made it out there myself, so I can only assume it's still going).

elc
12-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi all! New to the forum, and new to Freezing Saddles, but have been commuting/biking for fun in the DC area for a couple years. Looking forward to a little extra motivation to keep it up through the winter this year!
-Erin C

komorebi
12-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Another newbie chiming in. Hi, everyone!

I started bike commuting from OT Alexandria to Penn Quarter this past spring, and my commute quickly became one of the best parts of my day. I used to dread the windy days -- until I started reading the jokes on the forum about putting up a sail and cruising home on the MVT. I used to think that I'd have to stop bike commuting once it got dark, for safety reasons -- until I found the forum posts extolling the peacefulness of after-sunset rides and read the (extensive) forum posts about how to use bike lights properly. And now I'm hoping that the collective wisdom -- or should that be the collective insanity? -- of Freezing Saddles can teach me how to keep biking through the winter.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Arlingtonrider
12-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Newbies (and others) -

If you haven't already, please let me know by a post or PM (private message) if you plan to come to the Jan 8 happy hour. Best place to post that is on the happy hour thread. If I click "like" it means I have you on the list (in addition to liking, of course!).

Cap City cuts us a break on room reservations and does individual checks, but it helps them a lot when I can provide a good head count at least a few days in advance. (We also try to tip well ;))

Thanks, everyone! And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

p.s. I'll add bike and car parking info to the first post in the happy hour thread later today.

ramblingrider
12-23-2014, 09:13 AM

Hey, I'm from Hyattsville, too! I hope we cross paths sometime.

Brn Moore
12-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Hm...a fair number of Trolly Trail (Hyattsville/College Park) people here.

Perhaps a bit of Vigilante (http://www.vigilantecoffee.com) justice might be in order.

ramblingrider
12-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Sounds good to me, Bruno!

PPB
12-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Hi all, I'm Molly, definitely a newbie to the bike forum but a long time commuter, who is looking forward to participating 'officially' this year! See you out there.

Bikewoman
12-26-2014, 10:19 PM
I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I enjoy riding my bike and I ride everyday (except in moderate to heavy rain, snow, and ice) to work. On weekends it's a little bit harder to ride unless the weather is nice or there is a group of like minded crazies who want to go on a ride. I like to have balance in my life, however. So, I tend to want one weekend day with no obligations. I don't want my fun to turn into work.

Marlon
12-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Hey folks - Marlon here, looking fwd to the FS event, interested bc this would represent my first time for cold wx riding (since a kid) and get me off the rollers a little...

Arlingtonrider
12-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Welcome to all of you! Below are some thoughts that summarize collective wisdom from posts of other FS alumni as well as some thoughts of my own.

STUPID FUN vs WORK: It's up to *YOU* to keep Freezing Saddles fun. **IF YOU'RE NOT HAVING FUN, YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!** The competitive spirit that Freezing Saddles generates makes winter riding a lot more fun. However, the game goes on for a long time (until March 19), so you don't want to burn out. You can help your team do well by riding as regularly as you can manage. In general, the more team riders who participate regularly, the better it is for the team. Daily participation by more riders almost always earns more points for a team than longer rides by fewer riders. Your team will hope that you will ride at least one mile as many days as you can, in addition to any longer rides you do. While long rides bring more points per ride, short daily ones by multiple riders can add points faster. Errands around the corner are a great way to rack up team points. Getting out of the house can be the hardest part. Once you're out, adding a trip around the block to make your first mile (the bonus point mile) is easy. Commuting makes getting daily mileage for most days of the week pretty easy. Getting out there and riding lots of miles on longer rides is fun too and your team will greatly appreciate it. That being said, don't let Freezing Saddles make you miserable. If you really don't want to ride on a particular day, just don't. Tune the noise out. Do what you want to do and what keeps it fun for you. Also, many of us have to go out of town occasionally and might not have access to a bike for a few days. It happens. Don't sweat it. (You can sometimes befriend a hotel worker who will rent or lend you a bike, though. :cool:)

LEADERBOARDS AND MOTIVATION: There are two leaderboards, a team one and an individual one, and you can use both for motivation. Sometimes you might want to jump just one step ahead on the individual leaderboard. That helps your team too. It's fun to watch your individual points and miles add up. For some people, that might be more motivating than the team leaderboard. Go with what works for you. The health and fitness benefits you will see from riding more can also be awesome motivators, especially with a little extra focus on better eating/fueling, hydration, getting enough sleep, etc. Also, as you get to know more people through FS, you will see more people you know out on the roads and trails. It's more fun to ride when you come across friends here and there.

TEAMS: Teams are initially designated by numbers - Team 1, Team 2, etc. One of the first tasks of teams is to come up with a team name. You might want to start thinking about that now. Consider volunteering to organize team get-togethers or rides. In past years, teams have often extended an invitation to other FS members to join them on these. FS is not so competitive that we can't all be friends and have fun together. It's a great group of people and, as Mikey says, we are all winners. Speaking of competition, some riders on your team, or maybe you, may decide that their idea of fun is to do one or more stupid silly long rides. That does not mean that others on the team are expected to do the same. If you are inspired to ride more as a result, ride more! If you just want to be in awe that you are so lucky as to have them on your team, enjoy their awesomeness and being on their team, and give whatever support you can.

BAD CONDITIONS: Please don't ride if you don't have the experience or equipment to handle conditions safely. There are lots of ways around that if you do want to ride, though. Be creative. (Think options for different places/times, bikeshare, etc.) Often, where there's a will, there's a way, but some days you might just want to sit by the fire. Keep in mind that you might be missing out on some fun, though. A short ride in falling snowflakes can be awesome. A ride against a strong headwind can burn a lot of calories and justify a trip to District Taco or Baked 'n Wired. Riding when others don't helps your team get ahead, but always put your safety first. You don't help your team if you get injured.

FIRST MILE BONUS: Riding at least a mile every day, or almost every day, can help your team a lot. Your first mile each day earns 10 points instead of one. It's awesome if you can ride every day or almost every day, but it isn't a built-in expectation. We all have lives outside of biking and those are important too. Last year, out of roughly 100 participants, 14 rode every day. The first year, out of 50 participants, I think about 7 rode every day. So about 85% of us didn't ride every day. Those who manage to ride every day of the competition get respect and recognition at the final happy hour.

MISERY: If you're cold or uncomfortable, reach out to others for advice. I'm a proud wimp. I like to be comfortable and warm, regardless of the weather. There's a lot of winter riding experience in this group. Remember too that staying comfortable may require different approaches depending on ride length. What works for a 3-8 mile ride may be a lot different from what works for a 40-60 mile ride.

SLEAZE RIDES: That term is used a lot in FS and it doesn't mean anything other than a short ride intended primarily to get the daily 10 point bonus. For FS purposes, there is nothing at all derogatory about sleaze rides and everyone does them at various times. There is usually even a pointless prize for the person who has the most sleaze ride days. (For purposes of the prize, I think it means days with a total of 1 to 2 miles.) (This is a correction from what I had here before.)

STRAVA: It's a lot of fun to follow teammates and some other FS participants on Strava. People ask about the etiquette of that. I can only speak for myself, but I feel very comfortable about following my teammates and others who I know (or having them follow me) without asking. If it's someone I don't know (e.g. people who often ride in areas of interest to me), I usually ask them if they would mind, through a PM on the forum or a Strava comment. Also, if you just want to glance to see what rides someone is doing or you're just interested in a particular ride, its pretty easy to see someone's rides without technically "following" them. If someone is concerned about having others see where they live or work, they can create a Strava privacy zone that makes info about the immediate area around their house or workplace invisible to other users. Also, I don't think other Strava users can see the times that you ride.

RIDE TITLES ON STRAVA: There is usually a pointless prize for the best ride titles. SteveO reads some of the best and most amusing ones at the final happy hour.

HAPPY HOURS THAT I ORGANIZE: Please let me know if you plan to come. I organize happy hours at Capitol City Brewing Co. (only), but my deal with Cap City is that I provide them a headcount. The headcount is also important because of limited room capacity. You can tell me if you plan to come by a post on the happy hour thread or by private message (PM) on the forum. (If you find out later that you can't make it, please let me know that too.)

OTHER HAPPY HOURS, RIDES, EVENTS AND PRIZES: Feel free to organize anything. You don't need permission from anyone. If you have a suggestion, please volunteer to take charge of it. For example, don't just suggest a pointless prize for something. If you suggest it, agree to determine the winner and provide the prize. Prizes are of nominal monetary value. If you want a happy hour or ride, organize it. If you just want to take a ride and invite any other FS participants who may want to join you, just do it!

FINAL THOUGHTS: Above all, have fun! This is just a game for our winter entertainment. And thank RCannon100 and Hozn for getting this all started and agreeing to get FS through another year! They are the very bestest!

ewilliams0305
12-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Another newbie silver springer here.... I bike everyday but am new the winter cycling. This is my first winter I intend to bike everyday, I'm hoping freezing saddles will provided the motivation I need to keep it going all winter. I look forward to not being A newbie here for long and participating here in anyway I can.
-Eric Williams

Zernhelt
12-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi guys. I'm excited to potentially motivate myself to bike through the winter.

cyclingfool
12-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi guys. I'm excited to potentially motivate myself to bike through the winter.

Welcome! Happy cycling! Beware the split infinitive (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7923-What-s-in-a-name-That-which-we-call-a-bike-path-by-any-other-name-would&p=102653#post102653). ;)

ShawnoftheDread
12-29-2014, 11:24 AM
If you really don't want to ride on a particular day, just don't. Tune the noise out.

Heresy.

Terpfan
12-29-2014, 11:45 AM
More like a sophomore, but can't make happy hour--New Orleans for work (although if I can figure out how to ride on my spare time off that Saturday afternoon around the various wards then I plan to). Do plan to offer some sort of prize for overall winners I think (unless I find time to come up with a cool local contest).

TrishN
12-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi all - I'm Trish and pretty much a newbie when it comes to the forums, but this will be my 3rd Freezing Saddles. I'm a telecommuter and have found FS to be a great way to pry myself out of a warm and cozy house when otherwise I'd stay happily burrowed indoors. Hopefully this year my participation will not be cut short by broken bones (black ice is no picnic). I'm in Mount Rainier and happy to see that there are a good number of participants from this neck of the woods. Ready to get my sleaze on!

chris_s
12-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Welcome! Happy cycling! Beware the split infinitive (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7923-What-s-in-a-name-That-which-we-call-a-bike-path-by-any-other-name-would&p=102653#post102653). ;)

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/hand-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

ian_co
12-29-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm Ian and I look forward to freezing with new friends this year. I'll watch my grammar chris_s.

Rod Smith
12-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Another newbie silver springer here.... I bike everyday but am new the winter cycling. This is my first winter I intend to bike everyday, I'm hoping freezing saddles will provided the motivation I need to keep it going all winter. I look forward to not being A newbie here for long and participating here in anyway I can.
-Eric Williams

A ringer. I only invited two, the other is Chris Watson.

rcannon100
12-29-2014, 10:48 PM
They identified themselves as ringers when they signed up, right?

hodgesse
12-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Hello!

I'm a newbie to FS and a relative newbie to this area (6 months).

I don't commute to work, but love to ride. My plan is to run lots of errands during the week and do my big rides on weekends.

Do we meet on Jan 1, please? How do we find out about our teams, please?

Thanks!

Happy Cycling!

elwbikes
12-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Hi hodgesse, the kickoff happy hour and team announcements are Jan 8 at cap city brewing in shirlington. More info on that thread.

ramblingrider
12-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Hi hodgesse, the kickoff happy hour and team announcements are Jan 8 at cap city brewing in shirlington. More info on that thread.

Hmm, given that Freezing Saddles starts on January 1st (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7934-Freezing-Saddles-Rules), this seems a little late for team announcements, but whatever. I won't be able to make the happy hour, so I hope the teams are also announced on this forum.

chris_s
12-30-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm Ian and I look forward to freezing with new friends this year. I'll watch my grammar chris_s.

I am firmly in favor of splitting infinitives; I was applauding cyclingfool's trolling. We had another thread (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7923-What-s-in-a-name-That-which-we-call-a-bike-path-by-any-other-name-would/page3) go off the rails into a grammar discussion earlier this month.

elwbikes
12-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Teams are announced at the happy hour and on the forum. Points will still be recorded starting January 1.

dplasters
12-30-2014, 09:51 AM
I am firmly in favor of splitting infinitives; I was applauding cyclingfool's trolling. We had another thread (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7923-What-s-in-a-name-That-which-we-call-a-bike-path-by-any-other-name-would/page3) go off the rails into a grammar discussion earlier this month.

I'm shocked this is five pages in and still on the rails. Average around here is what? Page two? I am allowed to post here since I'm new to FS. Although the National Weather Service (http://www.weather.gov/lwx/dcanme) informs me that, on average, the high in the DC area is above freezing all year. So perhaps the more appropriate name is "Sometimes Frozen, but More Frequently Fairly Chilly Saddles: 2015". Also known as SFbMFFCS.

Let's talk about bollards.

lordofthemark
12-30-2014, 09:55 AM

My goal is to boldly ride in conditions I have never ridden in before. (FS newbie, but not forum newbie)

ramblingrider
12-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Teams are announced at the happy hour and on the forum. Points will still be recorded starting January 1.

Thanks, Emma. I'll still be riding.

dkel
12-30-2014, 11:06 AM
My goal is to boldly ride in conditions I have never ridden in before. (FS newbie, but not forum newbie)

Right now, I'm trying to not completely go insane, and to not totally flip out on all-y'all for splitting so many infinitives.

(JK. :p)

cyclingfool
12-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Not so much trolling as making a grammar PSA since it was so recently a topic on the forum. Though I do usually bury my grammar Nazi tendencies and bit my tongue on to avoid being obnoxious. But I will gladly pile on when others start talking about common errors. :D

averagejo
12-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm Jona, a recent DC transplant who started bike commuting for work. I typically rode on the weekends for fun, but I'm hoping to use Freezing Saddles as a way to get my butt out the door and log some more hours on the road. I live in NE DC, can't resist a good happy and ride an old school (really just old) Bianchi.

SoSubtlyObvious
12-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi all, I'm Kristin. I completely missed the FS registration and am kicking myself for it. I live in Takoma Park and am mostly a commuter/utilitarian cyclist. I would love to participate, even if in an unofficial capacity.

SuziQ
12-31-2014, 12:38 PM
Hello! I'm Susan (@SusanTSeutter on Twitter, @stseutter on Instagram, you'll probably be bored following either as my puppy tends to dominate my posts). I've been living in DC for over 10 years but only started bike commuting about 4 years ago. I ride a Frankenstein fixie beater bike for commuting (made by an ex, I think my husband would like me to finally get a new one but then I would have to worry about it and take decent care of it). I have a Specialized road bike for longer rides (did RAGBRAI 2011 and CycleNC 2012, clearly overdue for another long ride). My daily commute is only 2 miles from Bloomingdale to Dupont where I hop on the redline to Friendship Hts, but joining this group might inspire me to squeeze more rides into my life. I got a bike trailer for my dog, but have only used it once so far. Subjecting him to DC streets scares me way more than subjecting myself to them. Looking forward to meeting you all. Happy New Year's Eve!

hozn
12-31-2014, 12:38 PM

Wow. It is one thing to talk about being a grammar Nazi. That is colloquial, I realize. I think it crosses a line when you post a reference to a concentration camp motto, though. Perhaps I am the only one that finds this offensive.

rcannon100
12-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Hello! I'm Susan (@SusanTSeutter on Twitter, @stseutter on Instagram, you'll probably be bored following either as my puppy tends to dominate my posts). I've been living in DC for over 10 years but only started bike commuting about 4 years ago. I ride a Frankenstein fixie beater bike for commuting (made by an ex, I think my husband would like me to finally get a new one but then I would have to worry about it and take decent care of it). I have a Specialized road bike for longer rides (did RAGBRAI 2011 and CycleNC 2012, clearly overdue for another long ride). My daily commute is only 2 miles from Bloomingdale to Dupont where I hop on the redline to Friendship Hts, but joining this group might inspire me to squeeze more rides into my life. I got a bike trailer for my dog, but have only used it once so far. Subjecting him to DC streets scares me way more than subjecting myself to them. Looking forward to meeting you all. Happy New Year's Eve!

This is my college roommates sister!!!

Vicegrip
12-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Wow. It is one thing to talk about being a grammar Nazi. That is colloquial, I realize. I think it crosses a line when you post a reference to a concentration camp motto, though. Perhaps I am the only one that finds this offensive.

And have typos in the post to boot!:rolleyes: :)

I can't even spel wel enough to get the grammer rite but eye dew give a hearty Hellow and
Welcome to all the new members.

ebubar
12-31-2014, 02:53 PM
Hi all, I'm Kristin. I completely missed the FS registration and am kicking myself for it. I live in Takoma Park and am mostly a commuter/utilitarian cyclist. I would love to participate, even if in an unofficial capacity.

Yay takoma! Come on by to Tuesday, 7AM coffee club in Silver Spring at Kaldi's to meet other Takoma/SS commuters. Message me (@ebubar) on Twitter if you do the social medias!

TwoWheelsDC
12-31-2014, 03:40 PM
I got a bike trailer for my dog, but have only used it once so far. Subjecting him to DC streets scares me way more than subjecting myself to them. Looking forward to meeting you all. Happy New Year's Eve!

My dog HATES riding in the trailer...to the point where it takes two people to load him in it. Since that's rarely an option for me, I stopped trying and now use the trailer as a grocery hauler, for which it actually works really well.

rcannon100
12-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Yeah, my dog trailer is dutifully employed keeping a basement shelf from floating away. I have used it to transport fosters. They thought it was fun.

Brn Moore
12-31-2014, 10:42 PM
-Eric Williams

Step 1: Hack elwbikes computer. Note to self: learn how to do this in the next 90 minutes. Could be tricky.
Step 2: Somehow rejigger her selection algorithm to put a few Marylanders (Brn Moore, Rod Smith, ewilliams, Greenbelt) on one team. Hey, makes total sense. It's basic geography, right?
Step 3: Whistle innocently at happy hour when teams are announced. Philosophers can't use computers! It's just happenstance!
Step 4: Be prepared to sprint like a bat out of Hell when nobody buys that innocent whistling.

Also, I'm thinking Tuesday, 6 January might be a good time for a Vigilante Justice Greater Hyattsville Bikecoffeefest. Any takers?

bikeeveryday
01-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Hi,

Ricky Albores here. Newbie to FS, but a long-time #bikeDC commuter. You may know me in real life (IRL), on Twitter as @bikeeveryday, Instagram @bikeeveryday, on Facebook (Ricky Li Albores), or Google+ as +RichardAlbores. Looking forward to riding the cold days of 2015 with you all.

Ricky

ramblingrider
01-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Hi,

Ricky Albores here. Newbie to FS, but a long-time #bikeDC commuter. You may know me in real life (IRL), on Twitter as @bikeeveryday, Instagram @bikeeveryday, on Facebook (Ricky Li Albores), or Google+ as +RichardAlbores. Looking forward to riding the cold days of 2015 with you all.

Ricky

Yay Ricky! Long time no see.

ramblingrider
01-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Step 1: Hack elwbikes computer. Note to self: learn how to do this in the next 90 minutes. Could be tricky.
Step 2: Somehow rejigger her selection algorithm to put a few Marylanders (Brn Moore, Rod Smith, ewilliams, Greenbelt) on one team. Hey, makes total sense. It's basic geography, right?
Step 3: Whistle innocently at happy hour when teams are announced. Philosophers can't use computers! It's just happenstance!
Step 4: Be prepared to sprint like a bat out of Hell when nobody buys that innocent whistling.

Also, I'm thinking Tuesday, 6 January might be a good time for a Vigilante Justice Greater Hyattsville Bikecoffeefest. Any takers?

I have a post in Events asking if anyone wants to meet up on Saturday, January 3. I'm already on my way to work when Vigilante opens, otherwise I'd join you on Tuesday.

Brn Moore
01-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Not saying Tuesday won't happen, but yes, Saturday sounds good.

ramblingrider
01-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Not saying Tuesday won't happen, but yes, Saturday sounds good.

Awesome. Hope you get some takers for Tuesday, too.

elwbikes
01-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Bruno, I'm about 10 steps ahead of you. Those who requested regional teams may be lucky enough to have their wish granted!

SoSubtlyObvious
01-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Yay takoma! Come on by to Tuesday, 7AM coffee club in Silver Spring at Kaldi's to meet other Takoma/SS commuters. Message me (@ebubar) on Twitter if you do the social medias!

Hi! Oh, I had no idea there was a coffee club already near by! Mornings are tough as I have 2 young people to urge to brush teeth and get to school on time. I'll try to work it out on occasion, and would definitely be up for an evening thing sometimes.

kmbader
01-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Hi! I'm Kristi, and I submitted a late registration for Freezing Saddles yesterday. It sounds like such a fun competition and a great way to stay active in the winter! Not sure if I'll make it on a team, but I'll still try to get out and bike as much as I can and follow along with the competition :)

Arlingtonrider
01-02-2015, 10:58 AM
So who among the newbies might win the newbie Gold Nugget? Please let me know by PM (private message via the forum) if you think you might be a contender (> 65 miles) based on your total Jan 1 mileage!

megoc42
01-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Hi there - first time participating in Freezing Saddles, and first time bike commuting through the winter (although I've had a short break while my kiddo has been on school vacation). I'll be back to my regular commute this Monday, and I'm looking forward to the extra motivation from this group!

eoarl
01-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Greetings,

On a cold, wet Saturday morning ride with Alcova Cyclist I heard about Freezing Saddles. It is a good motivator to get a few miles in each evening. I'm happy that it exists and thanks to those who put it together.

Eric

Windy Roads
01-14-2015, 10:14 PM
Hi! I'm new to the forum, but love the social bike outings (yai coldest day of the year!) and had a friend peer-pressure me (Thanks Leona!) into joining freezing saddles. So, ride on! (until it ices over at least)

bradallen226
10-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Hello all, I am Brad Allen and I am new here. I am here to get information regarding issues which i face and to help the community here in which I have experience to become successful member of this platform. Welcome me and lets build a long term relationship.