PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Saddles 2015 ~ At Least Yer Not in Kiev, Comrade

Pages : [1] 2

rcannon100
12-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Freezing Saddles 2015 Registration (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EhFezEg2xAwo6ApP61LfNKwcVA7JOPtTK9HUYTKG9EQ/viewform)

Please keep in mind that this is a game of the forum, by the forum, and for the forum. The whole point is a bunch of friends coming together to goof off. We hope that people will join in the reindeer games, come to happy hours, participate and even organize pointless prizes and side bets, and join in group rides.

Take care inviting weirdos to join. If you dont think the weirdo is going to join in the forum, or come to a happy hour, or join a group ride - maybe dont invite them. If on the other hand the weirdo likes reindeer games, and is interested in adopting a puppy, maybe they are perfect. Every year new people assimilate into our community during FS. But there are also those who sign up, never show up, never play - and we then have to deal with how to fix our game.

Registration goes through December 24th. People who buy me pie at FCCII will be put on a good team. The rest of you will be put on Steve O's team.

http://kiev.com/images/sized/images/gallery/iStock_000019117321XSmall-300x183.jpg

Storing this somewhere where people can see it

I think this was covered by the instructions, but if not:

(1) You need to authorize the bafs app to read your data. http://freezingsaddles.com/authorize
(2) You need to join the BikeArlington team on Strava: http://www.strava.com/clubs/bikearlington

Once you have done both these things, you should see your rides start showing up on the leaderboard.

Steve O
12-01-2014, 11:32 PM
People who buy me pie at FCCII will be put on a good team. The rest of you will be put on Steve O's team.

What if I buy you pie?

TwoWheelsDC
12-01-2014, 11:49 PM
I may have to join the Slackers this year. My riding has been really erratic since I started school full time, so I don't want to risk letting team members down if I don't get to ride as much as I hope to.

dbb
12-02-2014, 06:12 AM
take care inviting weirdos to join. If you dont think the weirdo is going to join in the forum, or come to a happy hour, or join a group ride - maybe dont invite them. If on the other hand the weirdo is already on the forum, attends FCCx and participates in the forum, maybe they are perfect.

FTFY

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, it seems to be the known wierdos vs the unknown wierdos

dplasters
12-02-2014, 08:47 AM
So this is my first freezing saddles. I dug deep into my soul and got a Strava account because I figured the competition would keep me going through the winter. I didn't pay for a premium one, I'm simply trying to build up the task of logging onto a website.

I commute through most anything (so far...). My weekends however are generally full of house renovation work at the current moment (We're new home owners... we might as well live at Home Depot). So group rides are very very unlikely at this point. Where does this put me? Am I "playing?" or am I a woosie who "doesn't show up to play?".

Also, my commute is like 13 miles round trip. This makes me a slacker I am thinking.

Sidenote - Strava tells me I broke the speed limit on Vaden Drive yesterday always good to confirm going over 30.

americancyclo
12-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Registration goes through December 24th. People who buy me pie at FCCII will be put on a good team. The rest of you will be put on Steve O's team.

Why didn' Steve O dislike this? Not enough pics of puppies?

If on the other hand the weirdo is already on the forum, attends FCCx and participates in the forum, maybe they are perfect.

FCCX sounds like a thing that needs to happen. Friday Coffee Cyclocross!

dbb
12-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Actually more in the algebraic sense with x being the unknown. Friday Coffee Cyclocross would make it too hard for me to enjoy my scone!

KayakCyndi
12-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Oh, I'd be so in!

CPTJohnC
12-02-2014, 10:04 AM
I signed up. I dutifully answered all of the questions in as honest a fashion as I know how. My former teammates from the past 2 BAFS challenges will likely tell you that I am of moderate utility at best, as I am unlikely to decide to ride a random century on a Wednesday, or bike to New Jersey for the weekend.

I rode through the coldest cold days, and the snowiest of snow days last year, and am always happy to ride when I have time and no conflicting duties. However, my commuter overall miles taper off somewhat (substantially?) during the fall/winter/early spring months due to parental responsibilities, and apparently the rules do not permit me to count it as a ride if I strap my bike to the back of my car, even though my car has "Share the Road" bicycling plates.

Anyway, to my future team: sorry you're stuck with me.

TriGirlSara
12-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to this forum (lurking for a little while), but the awesomeness of freezing saddles motivated me to join you all. Thanks to the ladies of the Women & Bicycles Facebook page for tipping me off to your forum and freezing saddles.

I'm more of a warm weather cyclist when it comes to longer rides, but I do a short commute by bike (woodley park to near the White House) pretty much every day. So I'll be good about frequent riding, but I'm also hoping this challenge motivates me to get in some longer rides this winter (not on my trainer!). I'm going to be signing up for the challenge today. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you and participating in the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrenaut
12-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Signup sheet is out. It is too late for discussion of miles and teams and fairness. Just go ride your bike.

americancyclo
12-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Actually more in the algebraic sense with x being the unknown. Friday Coffee Cyclocross would make it too hard for me to enjoy my scone!

I appreciated your use of a variable when mentioning FCC, but the CX designation has flooded my brain, so I immediately went there. I also appreciate that it might then become FC^3X

dasgeh
12-02-2014, 10:42 AM
So this is my first freezing saddles. I dug deep into my soul and got a Strava account because I figured the competition would keep me going through the winter. I didn't pay for a premium one, I'm simply trying to build up the task of logging onto a website.

I commute through most anything (so far...). My weekends however are generally full of house renovation work at the current moment (We're new home owners... we might as well live at Home Depot). So group rides are very very unlikely at this point. Where does this put me? Am I "playing?" or am I a woosie who "doesn't show up to play?".

Also, my commute is like 13 miles round trip. This makes me a slacker I am thinking.

Sidenote - Strava tells me I broke the speed limit on Vaden Drive yesterday always good to confirm going over 30.

Wait, wait, you need not be a slacker (though you are free to do so if you please). The whole point of the structure of the competition is to make sure there's a place for everyone - the long mileage and the short mileage - and give us all a reason to keep going. Your team will have some high mileage people on it (not sure where we landed on the whole team assigning), to balance out the high mileage people on other teams. You just need to be honest on the form, and you'll be good.

Part of your team may try to organize a group ride. You are free to decline. What we don't want are people who sign up then don't read the forum AND don't come to happy hours AND don't do group rides. You do the first, so you're solid.

PS, rcannon, isn't joining the forum absolutely necessary, and group rides/happy hours bonuses? as in, we don't want randos that don't join the forum, even if they do do group rides?

jrenaut
12-02-2014, 10:46 AM
...The whole point of the structure of the competition is to make sure there's a place for everyone - the long mileage and the short mileage - and give us all a reason to keep going...
Exactly - my commute last year was 7 miles round trip and I didn't get out on many long extra rides but I was a solid contributor to my team because I rode every single day and because I rode the miles I said I was going to ride going in. You only hurt your team if you say you'll do 150 a week then you do 25. Also RCannon may hunt you down.

Mikey
12-02-2014, 10:48 AM
I don't think joining the forum should be necessary, but encouraged. For example my wife is not on the forum but she will be doing FS. She will get the messages from me, most likely. She will probably not be doing any group rides/happy hours/coffee clubs based on her commute. Still FS will be good for her and She will be good for FS.

dasgeh
12-02-2014, 10:52 AM
I don't think joining the forum should be necessary, but encouraged. For example my wife is not on the forum but she will be doing FS. She will get the messages from me, most likely. She will probably not be doing any group rides/happy hours/coffee clubs based on her commute. Still FS will be good for her and She will be good for FS.

Maybe "access to forum info" then? I think spouses/partners/very close friends are the exception.

dplasters
12-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Exactly - my commute last year was 7 miles round trip and I didn't get out on many long extra rides but I was a solid contributor to my team because I rode every single day and because I rode the miles I said I was going to ride going in. You only hurt your team if you say you'll do 150 a week then you do 25. Also RCannon may hunt you down.

Ok this is what I hoped it was structured like but didn't want to assume.

I'm all for happy hours... that occur at Black Fin on Gallows, the Mosaic District (Fairfax), Sweetwater, Artie's at Fairfax Circle, Anything downtown Vienna... All you urban people. Everyone knows the real cyclists live in suburbia. Obvi. Bike lanes pft... who needs those?

Sidebar - I would like some bike lanes.

LeslyJ
12-02-2014, 11:29 AM
I am attempting to register for my first Freezing Saddles. I have been using Strava for a couple of years (well, I have an account), but I don't have an athlete number. In my profile, it shows www.strava.com/athletes/lesly_j. The Google doc will only take a number. Any idea how I get a number vs my name?

jrenaut
12-02-2014, 11:34 AM
I am attempting to register for my first Freezing Saddles. I have been using Strava for a couple of years (well, I have an account), but I don't have an athlete number. In my profile, it shows www.strava.com/athlete/lesly_j. The Google doc will only take a number. Any idea how I get a number vs my name?
On your profile, hover your mouse over your picture next to one of your rides. In the bottom left of your browser you should see the URL with your number. Unless you have a recent version of IE, in which case you should 1) download Firefox or Chrome 2) right click the picture and select "copy shortcut" then paste that into a text file or something where you can read it.

dasgeh
12-02-2014, 11:37 AM
When I click on your link above, and then on the graph, I get an athlete # of 702966 for you.

Steve O
12-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Am I "playing?" or am I a woosie who "doesn't show up to play?".

Play! It will be the funnest thing you do all year.

Steve O
12-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Maybe "access to forum info" then? I think spouses/partners/very close friends are the exception.

This will be difficult to police.

TwoWheelsDC
12-02-2014, 11:40 AM

You may not be looking at a Top 10 finish, but it sounds like you'll be a solid team member. I'd say if you put up 75 points a week or so (including the daily riding credit), you're doing pretty well.

dasgeh
12-02-2014, 11:42 AM
This will be difficult to police.

It's not about policing. Right now someone may read rcannon's note and say "yeah, I'll come to a happy hour, I'm good". But we want people on the forum

jrenaut
12-02-2014, 11:43 AM
When I click on your link above, and then on the graph, I get an athlete # of 702966 for you.
I got a 404 error. Why are YOU special?

LeslyJ
12-02-2014, 11:50 AM

I got it. I was initially using my iPad and didn't see the number. Went to my Mac and found it. Thanks!

Steve O
12-02-2014, 11:55 AM
It's not about policing. Right now someone may read rcannon's note and say "yeah, I'll come to a happy hour, I'm good". But we want people on the forum

Correct. What I meant was that it would be difficult to police people who are NOT on the forum. I think being on the forum should be a requirement, without exceptions for BFFs, because that will be difficult to police.
Where is the line drawn? Spouse? Roommate? Sibling? Fiancee? Surreptitious lover? Guy in the elevator?

Even if husband/wife are playing, they are likely to be on different teams, so the secondary spouse may not be privy to communications that are focused on her/his team. Or the primary spouse may not pass along critical information on a side bet in order to give his/her team an advantage. Nefariousness will proliferate. Divorce rates will soar. Just get the SO/BFF to sign up. If DKel and Rockford can do it, why not anyone?

Mikey
12-02-2014, 12:01 PM
If this is your first year, don't worry about letting your team down. You are going to do fine! Everyone gets put on a team. Every team has some great players and some fair-weather cyclists. The great riders motivate some additional miles from the rest of us, but by participating we are already doing much better than everyone stuck in their cars or sitting on the couch. If you are signing up and asking to be put on the slacker team you are just volunteering to be put on the last place team, that's all. Remember we are all winners!

For me the fun comes from the comraderie, not the competition itself. Sure competition is fun, and in the first few weeks it is great because your decision to ride the long way home that one afternoon produces great movement in the standings. After the first 2 weeks though it doesn't really matter. Winter is long, and cold, and does it's best to kill you. Just hanging in there and riding is enough of a challenge for me. The most fun will come from the community. Shared pain and all that stuff. Believe me, when you ride your bike 10 miles out of your way, at lunch, to take a picture of some statue in an obscure corner of the city in 8F/20mph wind and then ride back to your office to post the picture only to find that someone beat you by 10 min. That's the real fun. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, you soon will!

ShawnoftheDread
12-02-2014, 12:08 PM
I may have to join the Slackers this year. My riding has been really erratic since I started school full time, so I don't want to risk letting team members down if I don't get to ride as much as I hope to.

You haven't let that stop you any other year.

Steve O
12-02-2014, 12:17 PM
I think the Slackers team should be limited to previous FS participants only. The existence of such a team is causing confusion. Riders who post even 50 points a week, but are out there more than they would have been because of FS are the whole reason we put this whole silly thing together in the first place. They should be on a team.
Newbies cannot be slackers; if they want to slack, they shouldn't bother joining at all. The Slackers team is a way for previously hard-core players to give themselves a break.

Personally, I don't like the existence of a slackers team. Since much of the placement will be random, it's kind of moot. If you cannot control your urge to go riding because you are such a highly driven, psychopathic, competitive maniac, that seems to be your problem. We shouldn't modify the game just for you.

Steve O
12-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Believe me, when you ride your bike 10 miles out of your way, at lunch, to take a picture of some statue in an obscure corner of the city in 8F/20mph wind and then ride back to your office to post the picture only to find that someone beat you by 10 min. That's the real fun.

No, it's not.

DismalScientist
12-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Maybe I should join the slackers so I can reset my mileage so I can completely sandbag FS16.

vvill
12-02-2014, 12:26 PM
I think the Slackers team should be limited to previous FS participants only. The existence of such a team is causing confusion. Riders who post even 50 points a week, but are out there more than they would have been because of FS are the whole reason we put this whole silly thing together in the first place. They should be on a team.
Newbies cannot be slackers; if they want to slack, they shouldn't bother joining at all. The Slackers team is a way for previously hard-core players to give themselves a break.

Personally, I don't like the existence of a slackers team. Since much of the placement will be random, it's kind of moot. If you cannot control your urge to go riding because you are such a highly driven, psychopathic, competitive maniac, that seems to be your problem. We shouldn't modify the game just for you.

I kind of agree with this. A Slackers team shouldn't even really be on the team leaderboards - maybe it would be better called "Ex-Participants" or "Observers" or something.

If you end up not riding as much as you expect/hope/estimate, no big deal. It's supposed to be a friendly competition, and no one is seriously being let down.

dplasters
12-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Newbie?

I'm a n00b.
Rod is 1337.

and the cake is a lie.

tawdryaudre
12-02-2014, 12:45 PM
This is so fantastic. I'm brand-new to the forum (hey, folks) and found out about this through WABA's Women & Bicycles group. I just sold my car (!) and was starting to doubt my sanity for doing so right at the start of winter... But I'm psyched that this competition's gonna help me plow through those chilly commutes and brave the weekend rides, too. Just gotta remember to start turning Strava on again.

Thanks in advance to all you fine planning people and whatnot!

culimerc
12-02-2014, 01:04 PM

Remember- Scone handups are *not* a crime.

jrenaut
12-02-2014, 01:09 PM
...I just sold my car (!) and was starting to doubt my sanity for doing so right at the start of winter...
First, welcome to the forum. Second, please do not think that the existence of Freezing Saddles shows that you're sane. It actually shows you're definitely NOT sane, but that you share your brand of insanity with a ton of other people.

culimerc
12-02-2014, 01:09 PM
I was on the Slacker team last year and I believe we actually did mange the lantern rouge.

dasgeh
12-02-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm fine with the existence of a Slackers team, but there does seem to be a lot of confusion surrounding it amongst newbies. Anyone have a quick explanation? Or should there be a line added to the registration page that discourages newbies from being Slackers?

rcannon100
12-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Slacker team exists. It's done. And there is a lot of support for it.

The first year we played, I was riding my handicap and my gung ho team mates gave me a lot of MERDE for not riding more. There is a reason for the slacker team. Not everyone wants to be part of that competitive nuttiness - but they still like playing the reindeer games. If you dont want to be on the slacker team, fine. Dont be on the slacker team. But the people who were on it last year enjoyed being part of FS without dealing with macho BS and demands to ride when the weather is dangerous.

That said, the game is set; consensus has been called. As John said, its time to shut up and sign up.

Mikey
12-02-2014, 02:05 PM
The first year we played, I was riding my handicap and my gung ho team mates gave me a lot of MERDE for not riding more. There is a reason for the slacker team. Not everyone wants to be part of that competitive nuttiness - but they still like playing the reindeer games. If you dont want to be on the slacker team, fine. Dont be on the slacker team. But the people who were on it last year enjoyed being part of FS without dealing with macho BS and demands to ride when the weather is dangerous. . .

I think a lot of that came from the 5 person teams. Having larger teams meant that more schmoes like me on each team tamped down some of the uber-competativeness.

ShawnoftheDread
12-02-2014, 02:18 PM
I was on the Slacker team last year and I believe we actually did mange the lantern rouge.

We don't care what neighborhoods you visit; that's your business.

dasgeh
12-02-2014, 02:33 PM
That said, the game is set; consensus has been called. As John said, its time to shut up and sign up.

Look, people are asking questions. The form isn't perfect, but this is one quick fix: provide a quick explanation for Slackers and/or add more language on the form. Oh, and don't be a dick.

cvcalhoun
12-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Believe me, when you ride your bike 10 miles out of your way, at lunch, to take a picture of some statue in an obscure corner of the city in 8F/20mph wind and then ride back to your office to post the picture only to find that someone beat you by 10 min. That's the real fun.

Or you do the same thing at night and while it is sleeting, and your photo gets voted down because it was 8F/20mph wind/sleeting/after dark, and the photo quality reflects these facts. Not that I'm bitter or anything... :p

Mikey
12-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Or you do the same thing at night and while it is sleeting, and your photo gets voted down because it was 8F/20mph wind/sleeting/after dark, and the photo quality reflects these facts. Not that I'm bitter or anything... :p

It was a picture of a FORD. we obviously are CHEVY people here.

cvcalhoun
12-02-2014, 03:01 PM
It was a picture of a FORD. we obviously are CHEVY people here.

Nope, the Ford was voted down on other grounds. It was the picture of the William Jefferson Clinton building that was voted down in favor of one of the very same building taken when it was not dark/cold/sleeting/windy.

hozn
12-02-2014, 03:09 PM
I for one am very excited to join the slacker team again this year. Winter was so much more fun as a slacker (compared to previous year). :)

worktheweb
12-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Signed up for my first year in Freezing Saddles. I've commuted in cold weather for several years in the past down to 7°F and in conditions requiring my studded tires, but it will be nice to have another reason to shut up the evil metro rider on my shoulder on the coldest days. This sounds like it is going to be fun.

So the general idea is to motivate each other to bike as much as possible in the Winter, and that there are happy hours. Curious, what are reindeer games and how do the points work? Any other finer points a new person should know?

Greenbelt
12-02-2014, 04:13 PM
I for one am very excited to join the slacker team again this year. Winter was so much more fun as a slacker (compared to previous year). :)

I nominate you for slacker captain this year. Last year I was captain, and I don't recall actually doing anything, so I can attest that the requirements aren't much to worry about.

Steve O
12-02-2014, 04:15 PM
My two cents:

The Slackers should not be a "team." Just a group. Since, by definition, they are not caring about their riding, no stats should be kept and most definitely not on the leaderboard. If you want to be a slacker and want to keep track of your winter riding, then join the game for real or just use your own Strava feed.

Perhaps they can be called the Slacker Freezing Saddle Supporters or Spectators or something. Their names can appear somewhere on the site, perhaps with bios highlighting their pusillanimousness.

They may participate in individual side bets, but since they are not a "team," they cannot participate in team side bets.

As a "group" they can organize rides or happy hours or hold events or anything else they like. Since they aren't really playing the game but want to pretend they are, they should take it upon themselves to more actively volunteer for the stuff that makes FS work.

Personally, I think the existence of the slackers is pointless. A slacker can do everything he or she wants without having to fill out the silly form: banter on the forum, come to coffee clubs, help arlingtonrider with happy hours, make pointless prizes, enjoy group rides, etc. If you just want your name somewhere on the web site because it makes you feel good, well, fine.

Mikey
12-02-2014, 04:25 PM
My two cents:

The Slackers should not be a "team." Just a group. Since, by definition, they are not caring about their riding, no stats should be kept and most definitely not on the leaderboard. If you want to be a slacker and want to keep track of your winter riding, then join the game for real or just use your own Strava feed.

Perhaps they can be called the Slacker Freezing Saddle Supporters or Spectators or something. Their names can appear somewhere on the site, perhaps with bios highlighting their pusillanimousness.

They may participate in individual side bets, but since they are not a "team," they cannot participate in team side bets.

As a "group" they can organize rides or happy hours or hold events or anything else they like. Since they aren't really playing the game but want to pretend they are, they should take it upon themselves to more actively volunteer for the stuff that makes FS work.

Personally, I think the existence of the slackers is pointless. A slacker can do everything he or she wants without having to fill out the silly form: banter on the forum, come to coffee clubs, help arlingtonrider with happy hours, make pointless prizes, enjoy group rides, etc. If you just want your name somewhere on the web site because it makes you feel good, well, fine.

We have an anti-slackite amongst us. I recommend just chilling. If slackers want to be on a team, then let them. If they want to participate in side bets, by all means let them. I don't want to be stuck trying to find Herbert Hoover's secretary of the Interior by myself (oops I've said too much). Like I said before, we are all on teams, some teams just don't have any ringers.

LMDVasquez
12-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Another motivating reason to keep commuting this winter - I just signed up for Strava but my user ID is a name not a number listed under "vanity URL" so I can't finish filling out the registration form. I suspect there is some place where a # exists but I can't find it. Any suggestions on where I can find a #

vvill
12-02-2014, 04:57 PM
But the people who were on it last year enjoyed being part of FS without dealing with macho BS and demands to ride when the weather is dangerous.

I think people should be able to enjoy being part of FS without dealing with macho BS/etc *without* having to sign up as a slacker. That's why I object to the slacker team - it implies if you're not on it you have to take the "competition" seriously, and it discourages people from signing up and trying to ride through the winter as part of a fun group game, which was part of the intention of it all. I think Steve O implied this as well.

I don't really care either way if the team exists or not or is actually shown on the leaderboard, but I do think newbies should be discouraged from joining it, as it is sort of pointless.

Another motivating reason to keep commuting this winter - I just signed up for Strava but my user ID is a name not a number listed under "vanity URL" so I can't finish filling out the registration form. I suspect there is some place where a # exists but I can't find it. Any suggestions on where I can find a #

In my browser if I hover over my avatar/profile in the top right it shows in the URL.

Greenbelt
12-02-2014, 05:01 PM
My two cents:

Nah, we slackers think it's fun to challenge ourselves to ride through the winter and we love participating and seeing our progress; we just don't want pressure to over do it.

Mikey
12-02-2014, 05:06 PM
No matter, I love all you guys.

Although there may be a FS Side Bet for the best picture of Dread's Daughters and rcannon100's puppies playing in the snow, just to see how many dislikes I can get.

vvill
12-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Nah, we slackers think it's fun to challenge ourselves to ride through the winter and we love participating and seeing our progress; we just don't want pressure to over do it.

There isn't supposed to be that pressure though!

Why bother have a group and a game if people who
a) actually do enjoy participating, and
b) enjoy being challenged to ride through the winter
don't actually join?!

CPTJohnC
12-02-2014, 05:23 PM
I love the fact that from the point where I started looking at this thread this afternoon to the point where I finally caught up, the page count increased. While I read. The passion that #BAFS2015 is inspiring is... inspirational.

dkel
12-02-2014, 06:57 PM
If DKel and Rockford can do it, why not anyone?

Because. :rolleyes:

hozn
12-02-2014, 07:50 PM
I see vvill's point, but I will also note that the teams in contention *are* very competitive. I would feel bad if I opted to just soft pedal it in while my teammates were out riding centuries (or more).

I wonder if a future might hold a FS with two leagues -- a competitive and just-for-fun?

Arlingtonrider
12-02-2014, 08:14 PM
I think people should be able to enjoy being part of FS without dealing with macho BS/etc *without* having to sign up as a slacker. That's why I object to the slacker team - it implies if you're not on it you have to take the "competition" seriously, and it discourages people from signing up and trying to ride through the winter as part of a fun group game, which was part of the intention of it all.

I don't really care either way if the team exists or not or is actually shown on the leaderboard, but I do think newbies should be discouraged from joining it, as it is sort of pointless.

I'm with Will on this. I don't feel strongly one way or another about whether there should be a slackers team in future years, but the decision has already been made to have one this year.

That being said, I strongly hope that the slackers team will consist mostly (or maybe solely) of former competitors who have participated heavily in previous years and/or contributed in a very significant way to the success of Freezing Saddles, such as by managing all the leaderboards, being team captains, creating amazing awards or otherwise doing something awesome.

Newbies will have much more fun if they participate on a team other than the slackers, and I think we all should encourage them to do that. The game is designed so that all of the teams will have people of varying abilities, and a great deal of value can be added to a team by riding at least a mile every day that's possible in terms of safety and other responsibilities. Competitive doesn't have to be ultra-competitive. It just means you're playing for team points. Most of all, it's all just for fun!

Rod Smith
12-02-2014, 08:16 PM
it's all just for fun and I'm the biggest slacker on this forum. I just ride a lot.

My team is doomed, I'm going to have a hard time matching my number from last year AND I'm going to be responsible for the lion's share of my team's points. I just hope I luck out with great teammates like I have in years past. Riding in dangerous conditions is counterproductive (injuries). I'm going to pressure my teammates NOT to ride when the pavements are icy.

Steve O
12-02-2014, 08:51 PM
...a competitive and just-for-fun?

There is no "competitive." The entire premise upon which FS is built is "just for fun." Stop it.

hozn
12-02-2014, 09:16 PM
There is no "competitive." The entire premise upon which FS is built is "just for fun." Stop it.

This is by definition a competition. :) And the data suggests that a sizable segment of the participants takes competition seriously. I certainly do/would. The point, after all, is to win. Otherwise we wouldn't bother keeping track of points, right?

vern
12-02-2014, 09:37 PM
There are already 32 pages between the two threads that consist of haggling over the rules, so yeah, I'd say it's a bit competitive.

vvill
12-02-2014, 10:14 PM
I think the competitiveness is certainly there, but it's organic, and not *expected*. This whole thread is a result of people enjoying the challenges and experiences of two successful Freezing Saddles already - and knowing how errrmm... dedicated some of the riders can be.

The first year I signed up I had no idea what it was going to be like (other than having done the National Bike Challenge). I happened to already know Bilsko and DismalScientist from Friday Coffee Club and our Team V found ourselves well-placed for a top slot. Along with our primary rivals JDAntos, jopamora, Steve O, Greenbelt (the original Bollard Busters) we all rode much more than any of us expected*, and we only kept doing it because we enjoyed the battle and love riding. But for most riders, their team wasn't in that position with that sort of capacity/stupidity, and were riding for their own satisfaction, fun and side prizes or whatever.

* with the possible exception of DismalScientist

Last year the team I was in took things a lot easier and was never far off the bottom place, but I made it my own goal to ride at least 2 miles each day, do a lot of climbing, and keep track of the GPS art rides. If we'd been competitive I would probably have done more miles but either way FS was still great motivation and it was still fun to be part of the "competition" and see all the crazy stuff riders were doing (Subby, Rod Smith, etc.). I would imagine most riders most years would end up being in teams that aren't in contention - that's just the nature of "competition".

If you end up in a team that's near the top and you feel pressured (rather than inspired) to do more miles then I would say just ignore them and ride what you want. It's my understanding that the distribution of riders into teams is designed to mix in the hardcore/motivated riders with those who are really just looking for a fun competition through the dreary winter.

americancyclo
12-02-2014, 10:31 PM
As someone who increased their mileage by about 100 miles from freezing saddles 2013 to 2014 I had a great time and rode pretty close to my stated intended mileage ( was there an award for that? I recall getting a bar of soap) keeping that in mind, I didn't do too many crazy rides and still ended up 25th overall and could secure a solid 4th position on any of the teams. I think being honest about what you're capable of and then pushing that just a little bit will result in a fun freezing saddles for anyone. I'm shooting for 1200 miles or 2000 points.

sjclaeys
12-02-2014, 10:57 PM
The point, after all, is to win. Otherwise we wouldn't bother keeping track of points, right?

Which immediately reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1M_8ByLMJQ

Steve O
12-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Why didn' Steve O dislike this? Not enough pics of puppies?

Instead I asked a question that, if answered, will result in a rent in the space-time continuum, sort of like when John Malkovich went through the portal into his own mind.

http://youtu.be/Q6Fuxkinhug

sethpo
12-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Point of order: If I install a fur seat cover can I still participate in Freezing Saddles Ultra Competitive Division or do I get relegated to Slackers?

Seriously, you guys are the best. There is no better home on the internet for crazy people who ride bikes / people who ride crazy bikes / people who ride bikes in crazy weather and argue playfully over the rules of meaningfully pointless games.

Ride on.

consularrider
12-03-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure what's so bad about being in Kyiv (after all, this is "Freezing" Saddles).

ShawnoftheDread
12-03-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure what's so bad about being in Kyiv (after all, this is "Freezing" Saddles).

I hear Russian tanks don't respect bike lanes.

cyclingfool
12-03-2014, 12:00 PM
I hear Russian tanks don't respect bike lanes.

They don't respect international boundaries (:mad:), so I'm sure bike lanes are meaningless to them. Fortunately Kyiv is ~400 miles from the fighting.

Some of us are even jealous of consularrider for getting to go to Kyiv. I really do miss that place quite often.

Rockford10
12-03-2014, 12:05 PM
If DKel and Rockford can do it, why not anyone?

Ugh. This was a secret. I only registered so that I could report items in the Gallows bike lane and keep track of "someone's fixed gear project." I'm going to need to create a new secret identity now. "DKel's Spouse"? "The Fixed Gear Will Probably Fit Me Better"? "BeerRde?" "Slckr" "AnotherKathy"?

In other news, should I be a Slacker or a Non-Slacker? I see the advantages of both. I don't intend to ride a whole lot, but if there are a couple of people on my team that don't show up, I won't be on the bottom. I've never finished last and don't intend to this time.

Steve O
12-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm going to need to create a new secret identity now. "DKel's Spouse"? "The Fixed Gear Will Probably Fit Me Better"? "BeerRde?" "Slckr" "AnotherKathy"?

In other news, should I be a Slacker or a Non-Slacker?

How about "Dude, please, anyone want brewing equipment?"
which was my favorite post of yours of all time (it was the context that made it perfect).

Do not be a slacker. All the slackers are ugly. You are not.

KLizotte
12-03-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm going to need to create a new secret identity now. "AnotherKathy"?

K/Cathy's are going to take over the world!!!!! Whooohooooooo

Amalitza
12-03-2014, 01:07 PM
There isn't supposed to be that pressure though!

Why bother have a group and a game if people who
a) actually do enjoy participating, and
b) enjoy being challenged to ride through the winter
don't actually join?!

Just to clarify (obviously for myself only) and so as not to unnecessarily scare off any potential new players who may be concerned about pressure, I'm not being a slacker this year because I felt any pressure to ride more than I wanted either of the previous two years. I did not feel any pressure to that. And I had lots of fun!

I'm not joining this year because I have other things I want/need to spend time on and "need to go ride some miles for my team" would be just one more excuse to go ride my bike when I should be working on my started-but-not-finished new basement floor and things like that. I am an excellent procrastinator already and do not need to give myself more excuses. Two years ago I needed and used the extra encouragement from freezing saddles to get out there in the cold and wind and dark. Now I have the experience, confidence, and (not a small thing) appropriate cold weather clothing (and the knowledge of when to wear how much of it) and don't really need any extra encouragement to go ride my bike. I need extra encouragement to shop for kitchen cabinets and do physical therapy exercises (is there a competition for that?). If there were no slacker team (or group, or whatever we want to call it) I would just heckle from the sidelines. Which I'll be doing anyway, of course:p.

Rockford10
12-03-2014, 01:43 PM
how about "dude, please, anyone want brewing equipment?"
which was my favorite post of yours of all time (it was the context that made it perfect).

Do not be a slacker. All the slackers are ugly. You are not.

Brewing exquipment is still available!! Great gift idea!!! Great price!!!

TwoWheelsDC
12-03-2014, 02:05 PM
You haven't let that stop you any other year.

But this year it's due to circumstances rather than me just not giving a shit.

vvill
12-03-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm not joining this year because I have other things I want/need to spend time on and "need to go ride some miles for my team" would be just one more excuse to go ride my bike when I should be working on my started-but-not-finished new basement floor and things like that. I am an excellent procrastinator already and do not need to give myself more excuses. Two years ago I needed and used the extra encouragement from freezing saddles to get out there in the cold and wind and dark. Now I have the experience, confidence, and (not a small thing) appropriate cold weather clothing (and the knowledge of when to wear how much of it) and don't really need any extra encouragement to go ride my bike. I need extra encouragement to shop for kitchen cabinets and do physical therapy exercises (is there a competition for that?). If there were no slacker team (or group, or whatever we want to call it) I would just heckle from the sidelines. Which I'll be doing anyway, of course:p.

I totally understand! I also need to motivate myself more for PT and general fitness rather than just cycling. And there's never an end to things that need to get done around the house. I haven't actually signed up yet myself - I'll decide in the next couple of weeks if I want to participate.

ShawnoftheDread
12-03-2014, 05:31 PM
http://store.theonion.com/p-5621-hot-lips-decoy-box.aspx

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/03/ad408c41820d491ea6899d529e531220.jpg

hodgesse
12-03-2014, 08:56 PM
What if I buy you pie?

3.14?

hodgesse
12-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi again!

Where are the "initial meeting" locations, please? I know that one is on Dec 14, one is on Dec 21, and the last is on Jan 1.

But I can't remember where or when, please.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Greenbelt
12-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Megan Jones is doing her Hains Point 100 fundraiser on December 21 [FIXED]. That might be a good occasion for a Freezing Saddles 2015 kickoff meetup?

chris_s
12-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Megan Jones is doing her Hains Point 100 fundraiser on New Years. That might be a good occasion for a Freezing Saddles 2015 kickoff meetup?

Hains Point 100 is December 21st (http://www.hainspoint100.com/).

Steve O
12-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Where are the "initial meeting" locations, please? I know that one is on Dec 14, one is on Dec 21, and the last is on Jan 1.

Check the calendar link above for upcoming activities.

Dirt
12-04-2014, 06:38 AM
I'm in. Thanks y'all for making this happen.

Rod Smith
12-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Megan Jones is doing her Hains Point 100 fundraiser on New Years. That might be a good occasion for a Freezing Saddles 2015 kickoff meetup?

Hains Point 100 is December 21st (http://www.hainspoint100.com/).

I'm signed up for the Hains Point 100 December 21st http://www.hainspoint100.com

Also planning on joining Circle of Cycles Jan 1st.

I think there will be a kick-off party in January, time and place yet to be announced.

Dickie
12-04-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm considering joining the Slackers just to piss off SteveO

Steve O
12-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Careful, at this point I'm in line to help with the team placement. I might just invoke the "random, schmandom" approach for you.

Mikey
12-04-2014, 10:03 AM

It's even funnier when I read the comment in a brittish accent.

jrenaut
12-04-2014, 10:14 AM
It's even funnier when I read the comment in a brittish accent.
This is true, no one says "piss off" like a Brit.

dasgeh
12-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Hi again!

But I can't remember where or when, please.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

There's no initial meeting. Nothing you HAVE TO go to. There are rides and events that are fun and many of the forum/Freezing Saddles people will go to. They are not meetings. Most are rides, some are happy hours.

cyclingfool
12-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Also from the Onion store, this:

rcannon!!!

ramblingrider
12-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm a newb to this reindeer game, but not to winter bicycling. I've wanted to participate for a while, but haven't gotten a chance to until now. I'll answer the questionnaire in a bit. I'm a slacker. I like puppies.

rcannon100
12-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Also from the Onion store, this:

rcannon!!!

Looks like a Pointless Prize to me!!!

BTW ~ can anyone make a logo for Freezing Saddles. I'm thinking like Year One's award, a classic western cattle skull made out of bicycle equipment - as a logo. Please dont make me go to 99 Designs to get this done.

http://www.rideyourbike.com/images/cowskull.jpeg

bikeeveryday
12-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Freezing Saddles 2015 Registration (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EhFezEg2xAwo6ApP61LfNKwcVA7JOPtTK9HUYTKG9EQ/viewform)

...The whole point is a bunch of friends coming together to goof off.

http://kiev.com/images/sized/images/gallery/iStock_000019117321XSmall-300x183.jpg

You had me at goof off.

Ricky

rcannon100
12-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Status update: So far 55 people want to crush whatever team Dread is on.

That is all.

KLizotte
12-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Status update: So far 55 people want to crush whatever team Dread is on.

That is all.

Just a thought: You may wish to create a sticky or start a new thread with a "register here" headline so those folks that want to join the contest can find the signup page without having to wade thru 30+ pages of posts on this thread.

hozn
12-10-2014, 06:23 PM
I could probably also put a link on the website. I will try to get that done soon. Tonight?

megoc42
12-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks to the ladies of the Women & Bicycles Facebook page for tipping me off to your forum and freezing saddles.

I'm also here courtesy of the Women & Bikes FB page. My commute revolves around dropping my son at school, so as long as school's on, I should be riding.

americancyclo
12-11-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm also here courtesy of the Women & Bikes FB page. My commute revolves around dropping my son at school, so as long as school's on, I should be riding.

And if school is cancelled you can go the long way around for bonus miles [emoji1]

rcannon100
12-11-2014, 09:44 PM
I don know. Shouldz we let them in our bicycle gang?? Dude u think they live up to our bad reputaytion?

http://www.criticalmass.at/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bikegang_themuppets.jpg

Raymo853
12-12-2014, 06:36 AM
My only goal is to be a obvious outlier on the Individual Distance, Elevation, Speed chart (http://freezingsaddles.com/explore/indiv_elev_dist). Not like Rod S nor Pete B but like Will L. This spring I need to concentrate on climbing if I am really going to do 4 NEU 100 milers (http://nuemtb.com/series/series-calendar) with my GF.

Raymo853
12-12-2014, 06:49 AM
I just noticed something I did rank high in, slowest. I was 8th slowest overall.

Steve O
12-12-2014, 12:48 PM
I just noticed something I did rank high in, slowest. I was 8th slowest overall.

Too fast. I think 7th slowest won a pointless prize.

ian74
12-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Nobody minds if a forum newbie joins in? I think this will be a great way to keep me going through the winter. Hopefully it'll also give me a chance to meet some new people.

Steve O
12-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Nobody minds if a forum newbie joins in? I think this will be a great way to keep me going through the winter. Hopefully it'll also give me a chance to meet some new people.

Actually, one of the objectives (do we have objectives?) is to expand our community. So not only do we not mind, we encourage you to join. See you in the cold!

Arlingtonrider
12-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Welcome! If you ride at least somewhat frequently in winter, please help us crush whatever team Shawn is on! (Stated differently, even if you consider yourself somewhat of a slacker in comparison some of the more awesome people on the forum, joining a non-slacker team will help the game and be much more fun and a better way to get to know everyone.)

lordofthemark
12-13-2014, 05:27 PM
I submitted my registration. Not sure I should be with the slackers or not.

ShawnoftheDread
12-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Gooble gobble gooble gobble...

http://youtu.be/9C4uTEEOJlM

ShawnoftheDread
12-13-2014, 07:18 PM
I submitted my registration. Not sure I should be with the slackers or not.

I don't think you're eligible for slackers.

Arlingtonrider
12-13-2014, 10:07 PM
I think that people who ride frequently, even short distances, will have much more fun on a regular team.

ian74
12-13-2014, 10:58 PM
I signed up. See you all on the battlefield. This is going to be fun! I hope I can win the most beers consumed at a happy hour award.

One thing though...I have a windows phone so no strava ap. I will manually enter all my miles in strava, and all my rides are logged in Endomondo. If there is an audit I can simply show my Endomondo data for those who may wonder

cvcalhoun
12-14-2014, 01:13 AM
I signed up. See you all on the battlefield. This is going to be fun! I hope I can win the most beers consumed at a happy hour award.

One thing though...I have a windows phone so no strava ap. I will manually enter all my miles in strava, and all my rides are logged in Endomondo. If there is an audit I can simply show my Endomondo data for those who may wonder

Another alternative would be to use Tapiriik (https://tapiriik.com/), which will automatically sync data between Endomondo and Strava. For $2/year, synchronization is fully automatic. If you can't manage that, you can visit tapiriik.com as often as you want to manually trigger a synchronization.

ian74
12-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Another alternative would be to use Tapiriik (https://tapiriik.com/), which will automatically sync data between Endomondo and Strava. For $2/year, synchronization is fully automatic. If you can't manage that, you can visit tapiriik.com as often as you want to manually trigger a synchronization.

Wow! What a great tool! Thanks for the link. I did download Striver last night which is a Windows phone client that syncs to strava (was tipsy last night and after my post went looking for a solution) Wish I had seen this first.

I have this weird attachment to my Endomondo, it has so many rides and statistics all saved in it, I hate the idea of using a new app.

Raymo853
12-14-2014, 06:07 PM
I feel evil saying this, but I hope for a new congress gov shutdown in Feb or March. If it happens and it is not way cold nor snowy, I plan to go to Stokesville and ride every freaking day. Actually I will probably rent the Stokesville Lodge (http://www.stokesvillelodge.com/) and make an open Freezing Saddle invite for anyone to join me. I will take my MTB, cross and road bike.

Is it bad I am lying around fantasizing about this? Even the details of routes such as double death climb day, sm100 halfway backwards, Wild Oak slog (http://www.strava.com/segments/8041340) fest, .....

scorchedearth
12-15-2014, 07:39 AM
I registered last night. See everyone out in the cold!

Sunyata
12-15-2014, 09:55 AM
I feel evil saying this, but I hope for a new congress gov shutdown in Feb or March. If it happens and it is not way cold nor snowy, I plan to got to Stokesville and ride every freaking day. Actually I will probably rent the Stokesville Lodge (http://www.stokesvillelodge.com/) and make an open Freezing Saddle invite for anyone to join me. I will take my MTB, cross and road bike.

Is it bad I am lying around fantasizing about this? Even the details of routes such as double death climb day, sm100 halfway backwards, Wild Oak slog (http://www.strava.com/segments/8041340) fest, .....

Oooh! That sounds fun. My MTB club rents the lodge every MLK, Jr. weekend in January. Snow rides down Timber Ridge are a BLAST! :cool:

ramblingrider
12-16-2014, 08:26 AM
I think that people who ride frequently, even short distances, will have much more fun on a regular team.

Hmm. I plan on riding at least 5 days/week, but there will be 2 weeks where I will not be able to ride at all, which is why I asked to be put on the Slacker team. And also, I'm an underachiever. :p

Arlingtonrider
12-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Please know that nearly all of us will have times when we can't ride. Very few manage every day during the competition, lots of us have trips when biking is not a viable option (although sometimes we've found ways to do it - like befriending a hotel worker) and many of us are fairly low mileage. We just make the effort to do what we can.

I just think the teams are a much more fun way to participate, as someone who was on a Slacker team last year and a real team the year before. But its up to you. (If you do join a real team, you may end up wanting to do a little (or a lot) more riding than you thought you would. That's the danger, and the fun!)

DCAKen
12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Please know that nearly all of us will have times when we can't ride. Very few manage every day during the competition, lots of us have trips when biking is not a viable option (although sometimes we've found ways to do it - like befriending a hotel worker) and many of us are fairly low mileage. We just make the effort to do what we can.

A surprising number (http://www.freezingsaddles.com/people/ridedays) of participants did all 78 rides last year. That was one of my goals last year, but this year I won't be able to do that. I don't think I'll have a bike available to me on a week long cruise in February...

jrenaut
12-16-2014, 11:55 AM
A surprising number (http://www.freezingsaddles.com/people/ridedays) of participants did all 78 rides last year. That was one of my goals last year, but this year I won't be able to do that. I don't think I'll have a bike available to me on a week long cruise in February...
It was definitely a challenge to do every day last year. My favorites were a 2 mile ride starting at 12:01AM the day I knew we were going to get a big snow and another 2 miles on my dad's old Falcon with no brakes because our bike rack broke the morning we were leaving for an overnight trip.

americancyclo
12-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Hmm. I plan on riding at least 5 days/week, but there will be 2 weeks where I will not be able to ride at all, which is why I asked to be put on the Slacker team. And also, I'm an underachiever. :p

Not allowed on slacker team! [emoji1]

DCAKen
12-16-2014, 12:18 PM
It was definitely a challenge to do every day last year. My favorites were a 2 mile ride starting at 12:01AM the day I knew we were going to get a big snow and another 2 miles on my dad's old Falcon with no brakes because our bike rack broke the morning we were leaving for an overnight trip.

I did a couple of just past midnight rides on the days I had an early morning flight. And I always made sure I did more than 2 miles to avoid getting included in the Sleaze Day list.

jrenaut
12-16-2014, 12:21 PM
I did a couple of just past midnight rides on the days I had an early morning flight. And I always made sure I did more than 2 miles to avoid getting included in the Sleaze Day list.
The Sleaze Ride list is the worst. I think a good 1/3 of my days were between 2.1 and 2.7 miles.

Steve O
12-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Don't worry, we'll get you on a regular team, which is where all newbies will be assigned. Let me assure you, if you ride 45-50 days of the 78, you will be an asset to your team. Also, you have to earn a space on the slackers.

Steve O
12-16-2014, 01:07 PM
if you ride 45-50 days of the 78, you will be an asset to your team.

As a reference point, the middle 50% of riders last year (i.e., ignoring the top quartile and bottom quartile) rode between 36 and 73 days. The median was 58.

Steve O
12-16-2014, 01:15 PM
The Sleaze Ride list is the worst. I think a good 1/3 of my days were between 2.1 and 2.7 miles.

Sounds like we need a "Not-Quite-a-Sleaze" ride list for rides under 3 miles but more than 2. :D You could be the champ!

jrenaut
12-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Sounds like we need a "Not-Quite-a-Sleaze" ride list for rides under 3 miles but more than 2. :D You could be the champ!
We will not be raising the minimum distance required for a ride to be without qualifiers, thank you.

ramblingrider
12-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Not allowed on slacker team! [emoji1]
If you say so! :cool:

bobco85
12-16-2014, 01:56 PM

This just popped into my head: a special devil-themed prize for the person who has the most rides with 6's in them!

KLizotte
12-16-2014, 04:49 PM
I don't want to have to read thru 100 posts to find the answer to this very basic question: WHEN DOES THE CONTEST START?! The first day of winter?? The sign-up page does not list start/end dates.

Arlingtonrider
12-16-2014, 04:57 PM
January 1, like always! (And yes, you might not know which team you're riding for right off the bat.) I think it ends March 19 or 20. SteveO posted the end date somewhere.

Steve O
12-16-2014, 05:39 PM
January 1, like always! (And yes, you might not know which team you're riding for right off the bat.) I think it ends March 19 or 20. SteveO posted the end date somewhere.

The last day of winter is March 19, just like last year. Mark your calendar now for this year's FSLNHPP (Freezing Saddles Last Night Hains Point Party), which will end at 11:59:59 PM (or earlier for non badasses) on Thursday, March 19. (Link to last year's FSLNHPP thread (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6682-Wednesday-night-Hains-Point-Party&p=79734))

cvcalhoun
12-17-2014, 02:22 AM

My favorite was the day I walked my bike to the nearest theoretically plowed road, only to discover that even the buses still weren't running because conditions were so bad. I still managed to bike to the subway, and participate in a snowball fight, though.

americancyclo
12-17-2014, 08:29 AM
I still managed to bike to the subway, and participate in a snowball fight, though.

All the way to NYC? or just your local chain sandwich store? :p

dasgeh
12-17-2014, 09:38 AM
I don't want to have to read thru 100 posts to find the answer to this very basic question: WHEN DOES THE CONTEST START?! The first day of winter?? The sign-up page does not list start/end dates.

It's a good point - contest dates should be on the reg page.

Mikey
12-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Just wondering, how is registration going? how many players are we up too? About how many teams do you expect. Please tell me it's not 2 teams - 1 team of 10 riders, and 1 team of 100 slackers.

jrenaut
12-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Just wondering, how is registration going? how many players are we up too? About how many teams do you expect. Please tell me it's not 2 teams - 1 team of 10 riders, and 1 team of 100 slackers.
If the slackers team gets as big as double the average team size, I'm going to delete them from the Freezing Saddles website.

rcannon100
12-17-2014, 11:11 AM
We just crested 100. Not getting the deluge that I feared. Getting some nice new blood.

So far everyone but Steve O is on Steve O's team.

Arlingtonrider
12-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Organizers may need to huddle on this, but there are several of us who think the slackers team should be limited to those who have earned that status (by previously making a significant contribution of time/effort to the success of FS) and that newbies should be on regular teams. Let's not release the number of slackers till the happy hour. Number of registrants is around 100 now. I still need to sign up. Definitely plan to.

DismalScientist
12-17-2014, 11:28 AM
I think we should huddle and arbitrarily and capriciously remove people from the Slackers and return them to regular teams. Excessively begging and pleading may or may not leads us to honor your Slacker preference.

Mikey
12-17-2014, 01:04 PM
How about a request to be in the middling class - not a slacker but a team that strives to be average ;)
I mean, I don't ride a single-speed but I don't change gears either.

rcannon100
12-17-2014, 01:18 PM
How about a request to be in the middling class - not a slacker but a team that strives to be average ;)

"Welcome to Freezing Saddles, where all the women are strong, all the men middle-aged and in lycra, and all the cyclists are above average."

http://futureperfectpublishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/lake_wobegon.jpg

Greenbelt
12-17-2014, 01:52 PM

I nearly won the "joe average" award for hitting my handicap exactly either last year or the year before (I'm too old to remember), but Mark Blacknell caught me in the sprint.

I think slackers should be limited to people who may have nagging injuries or personal issues (brain deterioration etc.) that could cause them to inadvertently overdo it in a competitive type situation, or else be over the age of 50, over 200 pounds, and ride more than 9000 miles per year. Either way.

Steve O
12-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Sounds like a pointless prize opportunity, Sir Mike (or anyone who is thinking about offering a pointless prize, but needs a creative idea).
Pointless prize for the team that ends up in the middle.
And the individual who ends up in the middle
And the individual who ends up in the middle of the team that ends up in the middle.
You get the idea.

KLizotte
12-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Organizers may need to huddle on this, but there are several of us who think the slackers team should be limited to those who have earned that status (by previously making a significant contribution of time/effort to the success of FS) and that newbies should be on regular teams. Let's not release the number of slackers till the happy hour. Number of registrants is around 100 now. I still need to sign up. Definitely plan to.

I signed up for the slackers team because I already know I'm gonna be out of town for half of March and I only rode 400 miles last winter. I'm also not competitive so I won't be motivated to go out in the cold and yuck just to get team points. I fully expect to be a disappointment on anyone's team!

Arlingtonrider
12-17-2014, 02:27 PM
400 miles is a significant amount of winter riding!

Alcova cyclist
12-17-2014, 03:14 PM
I think I saw this somewhere waaay upthread, but what's the general consensus on kids (of the teenaged sort) participating? My 15yo is starting to get into cycling, but since he doesn't bike to school, he'd realistically be unlikely to ride more than a few times a week for 5-15 mile a go. Could we ask to be on the same team so we could try to do team rides together?

Mikey
12-17-2014, 03:28 PM
I think I saw this somewhere waaay upthread, but what's the general consensus on kids (of the teenaged sort) participating? My 15yo is starting to get into cycling, but since he doesn't bike to school, he'd realistically be unlikely to ride more than a few times a week for 5-15 mile a go. Could we ask to be on the same team so we could try to do team rides together?

Last year threre was a Kidical award for the most number of miles biked with your kid(s) during the event. I think 15 isn't too old to count for that award. Dasgeh? ruling, and how do we participate?

dasgeh
12-17-2014, 03:45 PM

rcannon's Kid participated last year. He didn't ride every day. We were happy to have him on our team.

Last year threre was a Kidical award for the most number of miles biked with your kid(s) during the event. I think 15 isn't too old to count for that award. Dasgeh? ruling, and how do we participate?

The point of #kidical is for the adult to get credit for riding with the kid. You wouldn't mark a ride #kidical because you rode with your 15-year-old self. (though if you ride with your 15 yo kid, you deserve credit, so #kidical is cool).

You participate by titling a ride #kidical in Strava.

rcannon100
12-17-2014, 04:30 PM
rcannon's Kid participated last year. He didn't ride every day.

Rule #9 #Fail.

http://www.velominati.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/THE-RULES.jpg

hozn
12-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it sounds like the slackers team may need to be reconsidered for next year (or this?). If the only goal of the slackers team is to allow individuals to participate in the pointless prizes but not the team, then perhaps it has value. OTOH, I think there is a valid point that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a team in a competition that is deliberately not intending to compete.

I don't think I will bother to join the slackers team this year because it won't change my winter riding and I realize I can still crash the happy hours.

jrenaut
12-17-2014, 10:30 PM
The day forum members can't crash happy hours is the day I quit this forum. I don't think that day will ever come.

dkel
12-17-2014, 10:40 PM
(though if you ride with your 15 yo kid, you deserve credit, so #kidical is cool).

This is a change from last year (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6450-kidically-Freezing-Saddles&p=74698#post74698).

peterw_diy
12-17-2014, 11:05 PM
This is a change from last year (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6450-kidically-Freezing-Saddles&p=74698#post74698).

I like the physical connection rule. Credit for trailers, cargo passengers, trail-a-bikes, and tandems, no credit for separate bikes.

ShawnoftheDread
12-18-2014, 06:29 AM
No credit for separate bikes? Have you ever tried to shepherd an 8 year old around the Loop? Way harder than pulling her on a trail-a-bike.

americancyclo
12-18-2014, 08:32 AM
The point of #kidical is for the adult to get credit for riding with the kid. You wouldn't mark a ride #kidical because you rode with your 15-year-old self. (though if you ride with your 15 yo kid, you deserve credit, so #kidical is cool).

You participate by titling a ride #kidical in Strava.

so a young rider (under 18?) wouldn't mark their own ride on their own bike as #kidical, but the adult rider on the same bike ride (but a separate bike) would mark it as #kidical ?

I like the physical connection rule. Credit for trailers, cargo passengers, trail-a-bikes, and tandems, no credit for separate bikes.
I like this rule too, but only b/c my kid can't ride her own bike yet. or at least when she does, i'm mostly walking or standing around.

No credit for separate bikes? Have you ever tried to shepherd an 8 year old around the Loop? Way harder than pulling her on a trail-a-bike.

are we having a #kidical and #familybike schism?

Mikey
12-18-2014, 08:41 AM

Yes, it's like carrying yogurt, it's easier with the cup.

ramblingrider
12-18-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm also not competitive so I won't be motivated to go out in the cold and yuck just to get team points. I fully expect to be a disappointment on anyone's team!
I feel the same way!

Honestly, I don't care what team I'm on. As long as I am able to bike when I can and my team won't give me a hard time, I'm happy.

dasgeh
12-18-2014, 09:18 AM

Fair point, all. Physical connection rule it is. ShawnoftheDread, you can hold hands with your charge. :-)

rcannon100
12-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Blah blah blah slackers blah blah blah

Is there any way to PLEASE make this discussion stop. We have discussed the rules. We reached consensus. It's time for this discussion to stop and move on.

There is a slacker team. It is a team for people who do not want to compete for the total mileage/point total. If the slacker team should not be on the leaderboard, FINE!! I think that is the point, they dont want to compete for the grand total miles (so dont put them in that part of the game).

But these are people who, for whatever reason, still want to participant in the reindeer games. They want to come to the festivities. Maybe they want to compete as individuals. Maybe they simply enjoy wasting their time. I dont know.

I do know that some people on this forum - I wont name any names (cough, everyone) - can be a little competitive. And some participants, while very much enjoying cycling in subartic weather with a 25mph wind coming off the potomac, would prefer not to be yell at that they are not riding enough miles.

It is the classic mantra: if you dont want to be on the slacker team, DONT JOIN. But please stop telling people they cant be slackers (what difference is it to you anyway - I mean, who cares??). Where would this country be without slackers? Without slackers, we would not have President Bill Clinton.... or Animal House.... our PhD's to make us coffee at starbucks.... or teenagers.

http://youtu.be/q7vtWB4owdE

rcannon100
12-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Fair point, all. Physical connection rule it is. ShawnoftheDread, you can hold hands with your charge. :-)

I'm not holding hands with mine!

DismalScientist
12-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Do choke leashes count?:rolleyes:

dasgeh
12-18-2014, 10:18 AM
I'm not holding hands with mine!

It's ok. He's not holding hands with you either. :-)

jwetzel
12-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Question, hand-holding optional.

My wife has a coworker that is interested in participating, but he has a dumb phone and no GPS device. Is there a manual entry option, or is this solely a device derived data dance?

elwbikes
12-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Question, hand-holding optional.

My wife has a coworker that is interested in participating, but he has a dumb phone and no GPS device. Is there a manual entry option, or is this solely a device derived data dance?

Strava has a manual entry option. With manual entry, they may not be eligible for some pointless prizes/side bets, but the distance is still there. Just make sure they join the forum!

Steve O
12-22-2014, 10:51 PM

Please keep in mind that this is a game of the forum, by the forum, and for the forum. The whole point is a bunch of friends coming together to goof off. We hope that people will join in the reindeer games, come to happy hours, participate and even organize pointless prizes and side bets, and join in group rides.

Take care inviting weirdos to join. If you dont think the weirdo is going to join in the forum, or come to a happy hour, or join a group ride - maybe don't invite them. If on the other hand the weirdo likes reindeer games, and is interested in adopting a puppy, maybe they are perfect. Every year new people assimilate into our community during FS. But there are also those who sign up, never show up, never play - and we then have to deal with how to fix our game.

Registration goes through December 24th.
Putting this link back at the top. People have mentioned it's hard to find.

Terpfan
12-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Argh, I totally missed this and forgot to register. If your teams end up uneven and you need to put someone somewhere, feel free to include me. If not, no worries.

Rod Smith
12-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Add Terpfan!

TwoWheelsDC
12-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Rather than deal with constant nagging from the elder Cannon, I will join a non-slacker team. But I make no promises regarding mileage!

Amalitza
12-27-2014, 05:10 PM
If he's not able to make in on a team (I am not in charge of creating teams, so I don't know where that stands), he can be on the substitution list. So might make it on a team eventually anyway. Depending of course on need for substitutes and the quality of drinks purchased for me at happy hour...:cool:

cvcalhoun
12-27-2014, 06:28 PM
I signed up for the slackers team because I already know I'm gonna be out of town for half of March and I only rode 400 miles last winter. I'm also not competitive so I won't be motivated to go out in the cold and yuck just to get team points. I fully expect to be a disappointment on anyone's team!

I signed up for a nonslacker team. But I fully expect to be a disappointment to whatever team I'm assigned. Handicaps are based on last year's miles, and last year I rode more miles per week than I have in my life, before or since. I doubt I can even duplicate, much less surpass, that record this year.

Arlingtonrider
12-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Please read the post I put in the FS Newbies thread today. We may cross post it somewhere. It applies just as much to FS alumni as to newcomers.

Everyone should be in this for the stupid silly fun and no one should be concerned about being a disappointment to their team.

rcannon100
12-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Rather than deal with constant nagging from the elder Cannon, I will join a non-slacker team. But I make no promises regarding mileage!

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1331477558357_7427615.png

elwbikes
12-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Terpfan we'll include you!

KLizotte
12-27-2014, 09:29 PM
The newbies may be interested to read the WashPost article about the Freezing Saddle contest last year:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/freezing-saddles-washington-area-cyclistsstrivingfor-speed-and-mileage/2013/01/14/dd1c70aa-5b42-11e2-88d0-c4cf65c3ad15_story.html

Terpfan
12-29-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm willing to sub or do whatever. Not sure how I missed it except for usual running around at holidays. I think I even started filling it out and then got distracted. Reminds me of an evening work call I missed a few weeks back; signed on with two minutes left in the call and I was the staff leader on it--woops.

On the bright side for new folks this year (last year was the first time I did it, although not the first time I rode in the winter), at least the weather seams moderately pleasant. Some of the rides into work last year were so brutal I stopped at CVS midway to work or to the bathrooms by the Washington Monument just to warm up (vortex days).

Raymo853
12-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Should we drop our 2014 (and maybe 2013) team memberships from Strava?

hozn
12-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Should we drop our 2014 (and maybe 2013) team memberships from Strava?
Only if you want to. Once the new teams are created, we configure the scoreboard with those team ID numbers, so only new team membership will be considered.

jwetzel
12-29-2014, 02:13 PM
I've been using one ride per day with Strava. IE I start a trace in the morning and then pause it whilst off the bike during the day and end it when I get home, eventually. I looked at the leaderboard page and saw it was counting trips and average length. I tend to do a lot of hops about town during the day rather than long recreational rides. Is there a standard method for a ride, or is it all just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hozn
12-29-2014, 02:48 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice :)

I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you're not having a single ride span multiple days. With a single day, just don't leave it on/recording while you're in the car/bus/metro, and it won't be giving you any unfair advantage one way or another (at least in the competition that counts). I think most people would count things as a separate ride if you would talk about them as separate rides, or they are separated by hours, or you change bikes, or other significant things happen that make it clear that it's really not just a single bike ride. But that's more about Strava conventions than specific to this competition.

KLizotte
12-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Granted this is a popular science article, but it describes some evidence that being cold (not necessarily shivering) increases weight loss. Something to think about these next few, miserable months.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/01/does-global-warming-make-me-look-fat/383509/

rcannon100
12-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Terpfan we'll include you!

The demise of Freezing Saddles. An internal coup takes place. The ruling despot is overthrown and sent out for coffee. And before you know it, the registration Czar starts acting nice and letting late registrants into the reindeer game. Horrors!

Arlingtonrider
12-29-2014, 04:20 PM
And a stone in Moldavia cannot be found at the moment. Alas.

NicDiesel
12-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Man, I should really log in more often. Tomorrow I'm doing my 10-12 mile ride down the River Road on my fat bike and it should be a -10 with the windchill when I head out.

hozn
12-30-2014, 10:24 PM
From the looks of it (http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_text) I am guessing that most of the contestants have not yet authorized the application or joined the BikeArlington team. (That's really just for testing / making sure your rides are showing up before we kick off the competition.)

I think this was covered by the instructions, but if not:

(1) You need to authorize the bafs app to read your data. http://freezingsaddles.com/authorize
(2) You need to join the BikeArlington team on Strava: http://www.strava.com/clubs/bikearlington

Once you have done both these things, you should see your rides start showing up on the leaderboard. There may be some brokenness on the site before we setup real teams etc. Right now it's collecting data for the month of December. (Strava also imposes some rate limits, so don't despair if you don't see your data right away. The rate limits are only really a problem right now when I'm bulk ingesting a months worth of data.)

There are certain problems that I'd like to know about now:
- You authorized the app and joined the BA club etc. but you don't see your name on the list (after ~1 hour).
- Your not able to load the freezingsaddles.com homepage or view the text leaderboard at all.

Please hold off on reporting other apparent bugs on the website until we have real teams, etc. Many of the pages are built with some assumptions about the presence of data and it would not surprise me if there were still some "Internal Service Error" pages. I squashed a few such bugs, but I'll be watching this much more closely when we start collecting real data.

americancyclo
12-31-2014, 07:59 AM
you should see your rides start showing up on the leaderboard.
Happily in the top 25%

ramblingrider
12-31-2014, 08:40 AM
Happily in the top 25%
Nice- I'm next to last!:o

peterw_diy
12-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Nice- I'm next to last!:o
Hold on, I just reauthorized so you should start rising soon!

Raymo853
12-31-2014, 09:12 AM
I am both so happy and depressed seeing the Individual Distance, Elevation, Speed chart again. I suspect my hopes to be an outlier is out unless I stalk Pete Beers.

http://freezingsaddles.com/explore/indiv_elev_dist

hozn
12-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Wow, look at Jeremy out there. He rides a lot, lots of climbing, and rides fast. He is a force to be reckoned with. -- And he keeps taking my KOMs.

americancyclo
12-31-2014, 09:43 AM
I am both so happy and depressed seeing the Individual Distance, Elevation, Speed chart again. I suspect my hopes to be an outlier is out unless I stalk Pete Beers.
more miles, less climbing and you'll be there! 10 laps at HP each day should do it!

cyclingfool
12-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Happily in the top 25%

Me, too... in the Tortoise competition. ;)

SoSubtlyObvious
12-31-2014, 11:07 AM
"Take care inviting weirdos to join. If you dont think the weirdo is going to join in the forum, or come to a happy hour, or join a group ride - maybe dont invite them. If on the other hand the weirdo likes reindeer games, and is interested in adopting a puppy, maybe they are perfect....

Registration goes through December 24th. People who buy me pie at FCCII will be put on a good team. The rest of you will be put on Steve O's team."

So this weirdo read all the rules, but missed registration by a week. (I'm a newbie and was mostly disconnected from the internet for the holidays.)
I'm left with 2 questions:

1) Can a weirdo participate in reindeer games even if she isn't registered, doesn't care about teams, and just wants to play/participate?

2) What is the value of homemade pie vs. buying you pie in this currency system?

Toonces
12-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Is it too late to join? Totally forgot to sign up while I was out of town.

Amalitza
12-31-2014, 01:16 PM
substitutions will open up soon. you are not promised to be on a team, but we'll see how many people are interested and how many don't join their teams. there is still hope that you can freeze your saddle parts with everyone else.

signed,
Your friendly substitution czar

Arlingtonrider
12-31-2014, 01:26 PM
A reminder to all registered to be sure to pay attention to recent posts by Hozn. I believe you need to join the BikeArlington strava club and authorize use of your strava rides in some way in order to be included in FS. Previous FS participants have already done this.

ImaCynic
12-31-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm in the same boat. Didn't sign up in time, so count me in as a wannabe.

Raymo853
12-31-2014, 02:12 PM
more miles, less climbing and you'll be there! 10 laps at HP each day should do it!

My goal is to focus on climbing instead of miles. Something I have been shying away from the last few years.

ShawnoftheDread
12-31-2014, 02:18 PM
Wow, look at Jeremy out there. He rides a lot, lots of climbing, and rides fast. He is a force to be reckoned with. -- And he keeps taking my KOMs.

Don't encourage ne'er do wells.

Tim Kelley
12-31-2014, 02:45 PM
ne'er do wells.

We'd also accept the terms "guttersnipe" or "scapegrace."

dkel
12-31-2014, 10:43 PM
This, in the comments on the Strava January mileage challenge:

Chumps need to join BAFS! Rule 5! Rule 9!

Powerful Pete
12-31-2014, 10:57 PM
@dkel, very tempted to write a snarky comment on that thread re: Freezing Saddles, but the holiday season helped me maintain a more sensible and respectful demeanor... :cool:

dkel
12-31-2014, 11:18 PM
@dkel, very tempted to write a snarky comment on that thread re: Freezing Saddles, but the holiday season helped me maintain a more sensible and respectful demeanor... :cool:

Me too! I posted here instead, among friends. :)

hozn
12-31-2014, 11:41 PM
To be fair, trainer rides are -- or at least should be -- a lot harder than a typical outdoor spin. I look at the trainer and feel queasy thinking about those intervals; so even on cold days the choice to ride outdoors isn't always born of masochism. And it is a type of dedication to competitive cycling or physical fitness to entertain something that is so wholly unenjoyable. The trainer rides are great for building fitness, but riding outdoors is so much more fun.

bikeeveryday
01-01-2015, 12:01 AM
:cool:

dkel
01-01-2015, 12:21 AM
To be fair, trainer rides are -- or at least should be -- a lot harder than a typical outdoor spin. I look at the trainer and feel queasy thinking about those intervals; so even on cold days the choice to ride outdoors isn't always born of masochism. And it is a type of dedication to competitive cycling or physical fitness to entertain something that is so wholly unenjoyable. The trainer rides are great for building fitness, but riding outdoors is so much more fun.

I don't doubt the challenge of trainer rides (having never done one myself), but the complaints in the comments on that Strava page weren't about the difficulty of trainer rides, they were about cold weather, as if one couldn't possibly be expected to get out in the cold and ride. It's precisely what we're overcoming in BAFS.

hozn
01-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Heh, yes, that is true. And silly to complain about trainer rides not counting in a mileage competition, since mileage has little applicability to trainer rides.

Happy new year!

wheels&wings
01-01-2015, 08:40 PM
I was wondering, is there some way Freezing Saddles riders can make themselves identifiable (to each other) on the roads?

This afternoon my daughters and I (two of us on mountain bikes, my younger girl in the Burley) rode the Arlington Loop, the HP Circle of Cycles, and some coffee-neering detours. If we had seen any fellow FS riders, we would have given you chocolate chip cookies. But we didn’t see anyone we recognized. Hains Point was pretty desolate aside from a single peloton from FreshBikes (many hidden behind masks) and there were few other cyclists.

We were thinking, wouldn’t it be great if there were some small way riders could indicate their participation in Freezing Saddles… like tie a red ribbon on their handlebars or something? Has this been done in past years? It would be fun to exchange a friendly wave, say hi, or distribute treats to hungry cyclists. :+)

rcannon100
01-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Many of us have the little reflective tags that say "Bike Arlington" or "Bike Forum" - some are yellow, some are blue, and some are even pink! I think that was the idea behind this. Maybe a volunteer could make another go at it.

Or just keep coming to coffee and beer and you will eventually get sick of recognizing everyone's face. "Oh goody, its Dickie again. yay."

glennpstevens
01-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Me too! I posted here instead, among friends. :)

Rule #3. It was your obligation to post a snarky comment on that thread.

Arlingtonrider
01-01-2015, 08:49 PM
I think I have a few extra tags I could bring to the happy hour. If someone could volunteer to get more (from BikeArlington Intergalactic Headquarters?), that would be great.

TwoWheelsDC
01-01-2015, 08:51 PM
I was wondering, is there some way Freezing Saddles riders can make themselves identifiable (to each other) on the roads?

This afternoon my daughters and I (two of us on mountain bikes, my younger girl in the Burley) rode the Arlington Loop, the HP Circle of Cycles, and some coffee-neering detours. If we had seen any fellow FS riders, we would have given you chocolate chip cookies. But we didn’t see anyone we recognized. Hains Point was pretty desolate aside from a single peloton from FreshBikes (many hidden behind masks) and there were few other cyclists.

We were thinking, wouldn’t it be great if there were some small way riders could indicate their participation in Freezing Saddles… like tie a red ribbon on their handlebars or something? Has this been done in past years? It would be fun to exchange a friendly wave, say hi, or distribute treats to hungry cyclists. :+)

In a few weeks, in the most miserable part of winter, you can probably assume most crazy peopl....er...riders you see are BAFS participants.

vern
01-02-2015, 10:07 AM
So last night I was reading and at one point decided I wanted to sit cross-legged, so as I moved into that posture, trying to cross my left leg, I felt pulling and tearing from the point of my left hip down across the top of the thigh, extending to the inside of my left knee. Naturally, I stopped, and thought that was so weird since I was just trying to obtain a posture I'd been in about 10,000 times in this life. And being a man, I naturally had to try it again, with the same result. This morning it's very sore and uncomfortable. My apologies to my FS2015 teammates, whoever you are, as I'm going to sit out this weekend and see if it can quickly heal. If it doesn't, I'll probably ask the powers-that-be to sub me out next week.

jrenaut
01-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Ugh, that sounds terrible. Heal quickly.

americancyclo
01-02-2015, 02:50 PM
From the looks of it (http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_text) I am guessing that most of the contestants have not yet authorized the application or joined the BikeArlington team.

Is that why the front page says 125 contestants but only 87 folks on the leaderboard?

hozn
01-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Is that why the front page says 125 contestants but only 87 folks on the leaderboard?
Likely a factor, yeah, though it is also possible that there are last-year contestants in the system that still have the app authorized. I probably should fix those queries to exclude people without teams (and then they will get deleted once things are under way).

wheels&wings
01-02-2015, 08:32 PM
In a few weeks, in the most miserable part of winter, you can probably assume most crazy peopl....er...riders you see are BAFS participants.

Hmm. Perhaps, though my impression was that there are lots of folks who bicycle commute year ‘round without being plugged into BA or other social networks. It’s just a reliable, cheap and happy way to get places. This is my first year doing FS but I’ve been riding nearly every day for close to a decade. Surely I was not the only lone wolf out there? In any case I’m delighted to make your acquaintance and join the flock :+) .

Steve O
01-02-2015, 11:59 PM

I think this is a good idea. There are some clues, but no clear identifier:
- I believe there are at least two of us riding around with "bicycle icicles" on our bikes. See one of those and you know for certain, but it's a tiny subset
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7315&stc=1

- Someone wearing a Bike Arlington scarf was likely a BAFS year "The First" participant, but I think they've proliferated beyond just those riders. Plus they are so awesomely warm, they aren't often worn on days that aren't real cold.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2513&stc=1

- zillions of people have the yellow, reflective cuff holders, so those won't work

So perhaps we can devise a unique visual sign. One idea, as per wheels&wings suggestion, would be to tie something on the handlebars, like a red ribbon or a white handkerchief or the like.
I rarely see white cuff holders. If we could get a supply of those, maybe?
Check this out: http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/tradeshow-promotions/reflective-snap-band.htm

Perhaps we could order a supply of these in a new color, like green or pink. Customized for Freezing Saddles, everyone could get 2 for about 3 or 4 bucks. Put it on your bike or your ankle and we'll know it's you. We'd never get them in time for the happy hour, though, so distribution could be difficult.
Additional thoughts?

elwbikes
01-03-2015, 02:29 PM
So perhaps we can devise a unique visual sign. One idea, as per wheels&wings suggestion, would be to tie something on the handlebars, like a red ribbon or a white handkerchief or the like.
I rarely see white cuff holders. If we could get a supply of those, maybe?
Check this out: http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/tradeshow-promotions/reflective-snap-band.htm

Perhaps we could order a supply of these in a new color, like green or pink. Customized for Freezing Saddles, everyone could get 2 for about 3 or 4 bucks. Put it on your bike or your ankle and we'll know it's you. We'd never get them in time for the happy hour, though, so distribution could be difficult.
Additional thoughts?

I like either the ribbon or the reflective thing, one note--Women & Bicycles has white ankle cuffs. That is a somewhat small subset, but also an overlapping subset :D

Pink and green are fun though!

ebubar
01-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Today was a great day for sleaze rides for this year's BAFS. Luckily we live exactly half a mile from the store, so rides to get milk for hot chocolate are perfect for getting my sleaze on!

Subby
01-03-2015, 07:06 PM
The only weird thing I see is one rider has 4 days in the books after only three days.

TwoWheelsDC
01-03-2015, 07:53 PM
The only weird thing I see is one rider has 4 days in the books after only three days.

For Will, it makes sense...not sure why the other guy has 4 days though.

hozn
01-03-2015, 07:59 PM
I will check the data. I thought I cleared out everything and updated the configured start date .. Will let you know what I find.

peterw_diy
01-03-2015, 08:08 PM
it is Jan 4 now... UTC.

hozn
01-03-2015, 08:28 PM
it is Jan 4 now... UTC.

Yeah, that is the crux of the problem. (Time zone.) I specified "2015-01-01" as the start date, but I think that was evaluated as UTC. Hence a few rides from Jan 31 (post 7pm) were included when the strava data was synchronized. I have made the start time explicit as UTC-5, since as far as I know the competition starts at Jan 1 *our time*. The role of time zones around competition boundaries may merit further discussion.

peterw_diy
01-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Yeah, that is the crux of the problem. (Time zone.) I specified "2015-01-01" as the start date, but I think that was evaluated as UTC. Hence a few rides from Jan 31 (post 7pm) were included when the strava data was synchronized. I have made the start time explicit as UTC-5, since as far as I know the competition starts at Jan 1 *our time*. The role of time zones around competition boundaries may merit further discussion.

+1 on contest times being US/Eastern.

To get this right, bafs should do real date math if Strava speaks UTC -- we Spring Forward 11 days before this ends, so hard coding -5h isn't always right. :-(

jrenaut
01-03-2015, 10:58 PM
As someone who writes software for a living, the fact that we still can't figure out how to handle f'ing dates consistently makes me really sad. I mean, it's going to be a s**tshow as we approach midnight on December 31st, 9999 and a godlike AI that hosts tens of millions of uploaded minds realizes that it can't handle a 5 digit year.

TwoWheelsDC
01-03-2015, 11:13 PM
As someone who writes software for a living, the fact that we still can't figure out how to handle f'ing dates consistently makes me really sad. I mean, it's going to be a s**tshow as we approach midnight on December 31st, 9999 and a godlike AI that hosts tens of millions of uploaded minds realizes that it can't handle a 5 digit year.

Stardates are 5 digits, so your fears clearly are unfounded.

jrenaut
01-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Stardates are 5 digits, so your fears clearly are unfounded.

It might be 99,999 then. But you're crazy if you think we won't have another panic equivalent to the Y2K crap. And the next one will be worse because we'll be even more dependent on computers for everything. It'll probably be Microsoft's fault.

peterw_diy
01-03-2015, 11:28 PM
5 digit years, bah. We're less than 25 years away from 32bit time_t overflows. :-/

I wish we'd ditch the freaking DST stuff. Ridiculous all the stupid places tzdata is stored...

jrenaut
01-03-2015, 11:34 PM
What we really need to do is just count seconds since 1/1/00 GMT and then localize from there. Anyone caught storing a date in any other format has to spend a month using only AOL dial-up.

hozn
01-03-2015, 11:38 PM
+1 on contest times being US/Eastern.

To get this right, bafs should do real date math if Strava speaks UTC -- we Spring Forward 11 days before this ends, so hard coding -5h isn't always right. :-(
Yeah, don't worry; the end time is specified as -0400.

Yeah, the application code is timezone aware; however, strava doesn't always use utc -- activities have both utc and local stamps and we prefer those local times so that it doesn't show vvil's sunny ride as midnight. The bigger issue here is that mysql doesn't support timezone date/times. It is a horrid database, but that's what the shared hosting account provides. We could cast everything to UTC in db and them convert back to the tz of the activity ... but right now it is simple enough still to just store the local times for rides and only consider tz for the boundary dates.

hozn
01-03-2015, 11:41 PM
5 digit years, bah. We're less than 25 years away from 32bit time_t overflows. :-/

Yeah, this is an awesome little y2k time bomb. I can't wait!

peterw_diy
01-04-2015, 12:58 AM
strava doesn't always use utc -- activities have both utc and local stamps and we prefer those local times so that it doesn't show vvil's sunny ride as midnight. The bigger issue here is that mysql doesn't support timezone date/times. It is a horrid database, but that's what the shared hosting account provides. We could cast everything to UTC in db and them convert back to the tz of the activity ...

Well, it's not like it'd be all that tough to store the tz offset in a separate column and create a view with UTC, Eastern, and Original Local time columns. But too bad that's not just included - though IMO MySQL does pretty well for $0 (vs $4k for Microsoft or $30k for Oracle). Too bad bafs cares about both local and absolute time.

hozn
01-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Yes, it would not be too hard, just not insignificant work and hasn't proven necessary yet.

MySQL is fine of you don't care about data integrity or SQL standards. It is easy to setup/"administer" which is what I assume has made it successful. It pairs nicely with PHP, which I think sums up its applicability. No, I have little admiratiom for MySQL when there are (and have been forever) enterprise-grade databases like Postgres that also costs $0, has a less restrictive license, and is a less dysfunctional OSS project (i.e. not owned by Oracle).

Vicegrip
01-04-2015, 09:51 AM
BTW I just want to take a moment to thank the folks involved for making and finetuning the FS site and software.

Please carry on. (No need to translate from whatever strange exotic language you are conversing in ether)

Powerful Pete
01-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Kudos to our software overlords from me also.

On a related note, does the data upload from Strava to the Freezing Saddles leaderboard happen at regular times during the day or is more "real time"?

Just curious...

hozn
01-04-2015, 03:17 PM
It is every 15 minutes right now. That is infrequent enough to not exceed the api usage limits. We may have to reduce that if we add more features in the future.

BTW, I am aware of bugs in the graphs right now. It has to do with this change to use a start time with a timezone, but will be a quick fix.

ian74
01-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Do I get an award for Freezing Saddles First Faceplant? I wiped today on the wet trail. Need a new helmet, I have road rash all over my side butt and leg and shoulder, with some dings on the face thrown in. Now I have to get my rear wheel trued and everything readjusted at the shop. I'm out of commission for a day or two already. Need to find the apologize to my team thread.

Oh, then I got a flat on the ride home, glass stuck in the tire and popped my tube (and then my spare). Really not my day. If you saw me changing a tire on the W&OD right next to Walter Reed Dr. today. I hope you said "hi!"

Rod Smith
01-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Oh no! Be careful out there people!

Powerful Pete
01-04-2015, 04:24 PM
@hozn,thanks for the reply. You have satisfied my curiosity.

@ian74, sorry to hear about your spill. These things happen...

Everyone, let's be careful!

KLizotte
01-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Ian,

Ouch, that sounds like a really, really bad day. At least you didn't have to worry about getting too cold standing out there while fixing flats and brushing yourself off.

It looks like you were wearing a Prevail helmet. I have one too and am curious as to how well you think it protected your noggin.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

ian74
01-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Ian,

Ouch, that sounds like a really, really bad day. At least you didn't have to worry about getting too cold standing out there while fixing flats and brushing yourself off.

It looks like you were wearing a Prevail helmet. I have one too and am curious as to how well you think it protected your noggin.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

True, wasn't bad at all out there. I was wearing bib shorts.

Actually my helmet is a Specialized Align, it's a cheaper helmet, the Prevail looks much nicer. For a cheap helmet though I would say it did a great job. It made a loud knock but I was up on my feet right away. Looks like the styromfoam on the inside cracked a tiny bit, so I'm actaully going to hit Spokes Etc. tomorrow after work to buy another one of the same (also because I already have a spare set of replacement pads for the helmet).

Tim Kelley
01-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Many of us have the little reflective tags that say "Bike Arlington" or "Bike Forum" - some are yellow, some are blue, and some are even pink! I think that was the idea behind this. Maybe a volunteer could make another go at it.

We've still got a bunch left in our storage room...

sarahybillington
01-05-2015, 05:32 PM
I registered well before the 24th and was on the freezing saddles.com site up until s few days ago. Does anyone know why I got bumped off? Did a sub replace me? I'd like to stay registered if possible and am super bummed that I'm apparently no longer in the system.

dplasters
01-05-2015, 05:57 PM
We've still got a bunch left in our storage room...

How could one from Fairfax procure such a thing? Are people from Fairfax allowed to use things from the People's Republic of Arlington?

Amalitza
01-05-2015, 06:00 PM
sarah, you are on a team. nobody's being replaced yet. hozn or jrenaut can probably help with your technical issues.

Tim Kelley
01-05-2015, 06:02 PM

How could one from Fairfax procure such a thing? Are people from Fairfax allowed to use things from the People's Republic of Arlington?

Stop by our offices. You have to take extras to Happy Hour...

Also, Fluttershy is the preferred MLP at the BikeArlington Intergalactic Headquarters.