PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Saddles - FSSB#1 Spoiler

Mikey
11-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Good morning gang. I wanted to announce that this year's Freezing Saddles will be so much better than last year for 2 reasons. One, This year my wife will be joining us, AND two we want to take advantage of the FS energy to do some real good. I want to guage your interest for this so please respond. I was thinking of having the first FSSB be a charity drive called "Feeding Saddles". I am going to create a crowdrise site for Freezing Saddles, and use our positive energy and positive publicity to raise real money for charity. If we could get donations of even a penny a mile, and 10-cents a day (0.01 per point) across the entire group we could raise a lot of money. I figure the funds could be split between local food banks and/or Phoenix bikes. We could have a contest to see which team brings in more loot, etc. I would love to be able to work with hozn to link the crowdrise site to freezing saddles. What does everyone think?

dasgeh
11-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Love it. Don't forget WABA.

jrenaut
11-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Before rcannon jumps in - what are the liability aspects here? I'm all for raising money for charity but don't want to open up BikeArlington to anyone else to tremendous legal liability.

Mikey
11-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I figured by using a legitimate non-profit donation collection site like crowdrise, the members of the blog and Bike Arlington don't actually handle any money. We would just use this forum to raise awareness.
All of the actual transactions would be on that site.

jrenaut
11-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah, but Bob has mentioned before that simply making this an organized thing beyond just some friends riding bikes may introduce the liability. Perhaps he or another lawyer would like to take over.

dasgeh
11-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I would think that liability only attaches if there's a requirement. If it's encouraged and recognized, that's different.

Mikey
11-25-2014, 03:12 PM
so after playing around on Crowdrise, it looks something like this (https://www.crowdrise.com/freezingsaddles2015/fundraiser/mikeessig). The nature of the side bet and the charity campaign would be entirely voluntary, and entirely separate from this site. Individuals could sign up. Teams could register under the same event and sign up. It isn't clear how to support more than 1 charity but I will contact the crowdrise folks to figure that out. Let me know what you think.

Steve O
11-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Tiny correction: the competition runs through the last day of winter, March 19 at 11:59:59.99, not the first day of spring.

rcannon100
11-25-2014, 08:00 PM
First, this is massive. And if we can make this work, sweet. 5 Pointless Points awarded to Mikey.

I am not an expert on this stuff. I am not an expert on this stuff. I am not an expert on this stuff.

I think the problem is when there is a fee for participation. You now have an exchange - you have a contract - and you have an organization of some type (whether it is a person or something else). You now have a contractual relationship and the potential of breaches of that contractual relationship.

With no fee and no organization, we emphasize this is a bunch of friends goofing off. No condition to particpate. No required fee. No contract. I think it is hard for people to have a complaint when it is 100% volunteer, no fee involved, no organization and we fully disclaim that all weeze are is all weeze are.

So now Mikey comes up with this voluntary way of Mitvah. Mikey is a Mench (look it up). I think this is ziskeyt.

I note that Crowdrise takes 5% off the top and then another 3% for credit card fees so that is 8% off the top.

I am not an expert on this stuff. But I think this is wonderful.

peterw_diy
11-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Variations:

Pledge per subfreezing mile or mile ridden while snowing, using the Strava/meteorology connections in the bafs application...

Raymo853
11-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Got a charity to suggest to be considered as a beneficiary. It makes food deliveries every Saturday throughout DC. Food for All DC. http://www.foodforalldc.org/wp/ Food for All DC has been around since 1984.

I even have the idea of suggest Freezing Saddle folks show up to make deliveries via bikes with some sort of bonus for the miles covered. Or maybe with cars if they don't feel up to deliveries via bike.

dasgeh
11-26-2014, 04:21 PM
I even have the idea of suggest Freezing Saddle folks show up to make deliveries via bikes with some sort of bonus for the miles covered. Or maybe with cars if they don't feel up to deliveries via bike.

I was just talking to DH about the possibility of taking a Meals on Wheels route with the bakfiets.

Mikey
12-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Okay I've figured this out and FEEDING SADDLES - The FS Side Bet #1 is now live - even before you have finished hanging your Christmas lights!

But How do I sign up? Easy. . .
1) sign up for Freezing Saddles. okay done.
2) decide for yourself if you want to do some real good this winter and raise some cash for charity.
3) If you answered no to #2, no big deal, but consider supporting one of the riders in the group if you are able (not required though). If you answered Yes, then go to https://www.crowdrise.com/FreezingSaddles2015
- Once at the site, click on "SETUP your FUNDRAISER". Now you have a choice to make. You can join a preexisting team, or create your own. Each team is set up to support a single charity. I have selected the Capital Area Food Bank. If you want to support the food bank, join my team. If you want to help another charity, then set up your own team.
You can browse the teams and their charities at the bottom of the event page before you join. You will be asked to either log in or set up a crowdrise account.
- When you find the team you like you click Join this Team, and fill out the important info. Please read the disclaimer, it merely repeats the FS 2015 disclaimer and adds a disclaimer that you are volunteering to support a charity and no one is making you.
- If you don't see a charity you want to support or you want to go it alone, then pick "Start your own fundraiser". Again you will have to login or set up an account with crowdrise, then you will pick a charity to support. If your charity is not on the list just contact Crowdrise to see about getting them on the list, or pick again.
4) Okay, so now you are registered what do I do now? - Let your friends know, let your co-workers know, let your family know. It should be easy for them to support you with a donation of as little as $10.
5) I have set my goal as $1000 since I want to ride 1000 miles during the challenge. I may fall short of that in mileage, but it's no big deal. We do this as a group.

Things to remember:
- Teams here represent charities to support. you don't have to coalesce into teams around your FS team - heck you won't know that until early January anyway.
- You don't have to do this, but it is fun, and you will feel good about yourself. And besides I bet you have always wanted to have your picture taken with a large novelty check at the FS wrap party.
- Let me know if you have any questions.
- If you are still unsure and want to know that specifics of how crowdrise works, contact them. I'm just using them for this because it is a safe way to collect donations without ever having to touch any money.

Start Here (https://www.crowdrise.com/FreezingSaddles2015)

komorebi
12-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Newbie here (although I've been lurking for a little while). I just wanted to say that this is a brilliant idea. I'm still on the fence about signing up for Freezing Saddles, mostly because (1) I've never biked in winter before, and (2) I'm a wimp when it comes to dealing with cold weather. But if I do sign up, this side bet will be a primary reason why. (And even if I don't sign up, I'll definitely be donating and cheering from the sidelines.)

dasgeh
12-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Newbie here (although I've been lurking for a little while). I just wanted to say that this is a brilliant idea. I'm still on the fence about signing up for Freezing Saddles, mostly because (1) I've never biked in winter before, and (2) I'm a wimp when it comes to dealing with cold weather. But if I do sign up, this side bet will be a primary reason why. (And even if I don't sign up, I'll definitely be donating and cheering from the sidelines.)

Just sign up. It'll be fun.

And welcome.

Arlingtonrider
12-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Mikey and Dasgeh - I don't understand why Freezing Saddles participation should be an absolute requirement for Feeding Saddles. Shouldn't we encourage support from the sidelines? And I especially don't understand why we would want to encourage Freezing Saddles registration by people who have no intention of doing frequent winter rides.

dasgeh
12-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Mikey and Dasgeh - I don't understand why Freezing Saddles participation should be an absolute requirement for Feeding Saddles. Shouldn't we encourage support from the sidelines? And I especially don't understand why we would want to encourage Freezing Saddles registration by people who have no intention of doing frequent winter rides.

I have nothing to do with Feeding Saddles. I was just encouraging people to join Freezing Saddles because it's fun.

Arlingtonrider
12-04-2014, 10:52 AM
My own two cents is that "Freezing" Saddles should be for people who plan to ride at least somewhat frequently in winter. I'm concerned that encouraging people to register for that who have no intention of riding in winter may create a lot of extra headaches for the people doing the work

Mikey
12-04-2014, 11:35 AM

The idea for Feeding saddles is that it is a challenge fundraiser - can we ride our bikes in the winter? yes then you should give us some money because we are crazy. or something like that. Hence it is for people participating in Freezing saddles - at least that's what it says in the informational section. There is no interlock though, technically anyone can join Feeding Saddles, and raise money. Also anyone can raise money for Feeding Saddles Riders, without riding themselves. Anyone can join me. Please join me it's lonely all by myself here on Mikey's team.

Mikey
12-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm winning the First FS Side Bet! Ha Ha, Feeding Saddles has officially raised $100 for the Capital Area Food bank. Come join me, there is plenty of room.

tawdryaudre
12-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Another newbie chiming in -- this is such a great idea.

I did my first charity ride this summer, and I really hate the process of fundraising (ugghhh, asking people for money -- even if it's not money for me, it still feels like it, and it's the worst). BUT I learned that knowing you're doing it for a good cause can also be that extra kick of motivation to keep up the training, or to go those last 20 miles when you'd rather just curl up in a ball in that pile of leaves over there, or to say no to that 4th beer on Friday (umm...) so you can get up and ride on Saturday, etc.

I mean, the whole thing I love about FS is that the competition itself is going to be motivation to get out there and ride. But... it's gonna be cold. Every extra kick will help.

So, yeah. I want to help! Maybe I'll start a second team? Gonna think of a charity to pick.

Arlingtonrider
12-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I decided that I want to participate in Feeding Saddles to help motivate someone who:
- I don't know,
- is new to Freezing Saddles, and perhaps to winter riding,
- has introduced himself/herself on the forum,
- has made a few posts,
- and who seems like someone who will be a great addition to FS 2015.

Tawdryaudre, you're on! I love that you're going car-free and are looking forward to helping to raise funds to help others. I'll contribute 10 cents for each mile you ride for Freezing Saddles!

Arlingtonrider
12-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Komorebi, I love that you want to support Freezing Saddles and Feeding Saddles in some way! If you make a contribution to Feeding Saddles, I'll add ten dollars to Mikey's charity.

And if you decide that you'd like to try winter riding again, we'll all be here to offer help and support!

tawdryaudre
12-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Tawdryaudre, you're on! I love that you're going car-free and are looking forward to helping to raise funds to help others. I'll contribute 10 cents for each mile you ride for Freezing Saddles!

Woohoo! Thanks! Just so you know and can budget accordingly, I'm planning to ride one million miles (give or take a few).

komorebi
12-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Komorebi, I love that you want to support Freezing Saddles and Feeding Saddles in some way! If you make a contribution to Feeding Saddles, I'll add ten dollars to Mikey's charity.

Thanks, Arlingtonrider! Your generous offer to match just inspired me to donate $25 to Mikey's team. And I'll donate another $0.05 per Freezing Saddle point earned by Mikey's team, up to a total of $150.

Raymo853
12-09-2014, 07:54 AM
I am a little confused with what is now happening. Is it the Mike set up his own crowdsource funding for a charity based on his riding and is suggesting other do that as well. It is not officially tied to Freezing Saddles but it might be?

Mikey
12-09-2014, 08:41 AM
I am a little confused with what is now happening. Is it the Mike set up his own crowdsource funding for a charity based on his riding and is suggesting other do that as well. It is not officially tied to Freezing Saddles but it might be?

Yes. Since we are crazy, and we will be riding crazy miles over the winter. And sometimes we need a little more motivation to get out there and ride. I have set up the first Freezing Saddles Side Bet (FSSB #1). For new comers, FSSBs are fun added challenges that have no bearing on the final score, but they motivate us to get out there and do stuff, meet people, ride a little further. Think of them like scavenger hunts with bikes. Do a search for FSSB in FS 14 if you want to see what we did last year. "Finding the Founding Fathers" was by far the most popular.

I have set up "Feeding Saddles" as a crowdrise challenge fundraiser. Anyone can join Feeding Saddles, although the idea is that people are donating money to charity because of the miles those who have signed up in Feeding Saddles have ridden. It just makes sense to join Freezing Saddles. Teams for Feeding Saddles are entirely based on which charity people want to support. I have chosen the Capital Area Food Bank. If someone wants to support something else, say the Salvation Army (or whatever) then they would create a new team and choose the Salvation Army as it's beneficiary. If people want to support the food bank they can join my team. There are no limits to the number of players on each team, or on the number of teams. Although having a smaller number of teams will raise more money for each charity.

I have also set this up early so that we can raise money before the end of the year. With the holidays and the end of the year many people choose to give to charity to have it benefit their 2014 taxes.

Thanks so much to Komorebi for the generous donation! I'm now 13% to my goal of $1000. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Mikey
12-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Our team has doubled! Now you can donate to charity even if you don't like me. Check it out here (https://www.crowdrise.com/FeedingSaddles2015).

Steve O
12-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Check it out here (https://www.crowdrise.com/FeedingSaddles2015).

I clicked on the link I noticed that it's exactly 100 days until Freezing Saddles ends.
I'm not sure if that is supposed to make me happy...or sad...or just feel like I'm spouting irrelevancies.

Mikey
12-09-2014, 12:00 PM
I clicked on the link I noticed that it's exactly 100 days until Freezing Saddles ends.
I'm not sure if that is supposed to make me happy...or sad...or just feel like I'm spouting irrelevancies.

Be relevant. . . Sign up or Donate Today!

Mikey
12-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Okay, Chrismas/Holiday self-gorging is just about over. FS15 is about to start. If you are interested in joining in the first side bet, (we will have about 5 side bets throughout the entire competition) please go to https://www.crowdrise.com/FreezingSaddles2015 and sign up. It's open to anyone to play or pay (or both your choice). Right now it's just me and Keow (aka thavaradhara aka ms.mikey)
Do some good for the new year sign up today!

Alcova cyclist
12-30-2014, 08:57 AM
I think I am in - definitely as a contributor, probably as a fundraiser.

Quick question -- I see in the thread comments that a few people have pledged "$0.XX per mile" but the crowdrise website only seems to allow you to donate a fixed amount. Am I doing something wrong, or will people just do the math at the end and make a donation then based on mileage as reported at the end of the game?

komorebi
12-31-2014, 12:54 AM
Quick question -- I see in the thread comments that a few people have pledged "$0.XX per mile" but the crowdrise website only seems to allow you to donate a fixed amount. Am I doing something wrong, or will people just do the math at the end and make a donation then based on mileage as reported at the end of the game?

I was planning to donate based on reported miles at the end of FS. But if there's a way to make incremental donations on Crowdrise as the points are accrued, I'd be happy to do that instead.

CPTJohnC
12-31-2014, 02:18 PM
I was planning to donate based on reported miles at the end of FS. But if there's a way to make incremental donations on Crowdrise as the points are accrued, I'd be happy to do that instead.

I too was thinking about donating based on my points accrued or miles ridden (and happy to round up to an increment, as needed). I don't see a way to handle that. Am I missing something, or do I just commit to do it, but actually donate at the end? Or make weekly donations of $10 minimum? or some other method I don't yet see?

Mikey
01-05-2015, 10:29 AM
I too was thinking about donating based on my points accrued or miles ridden (and happy to round up to an increment, as needed). I don't see a way to handle that. Am I missing something, or do I just commit to do it, but actually donate at the end? Or make weekly donations of $10 minimum? or some other method I don't yet see?

You could do several things, but the easiest would be to wait till the end or near the end and donate based on your estimated end miles. You can donate to my team to keep it in one lump sum, or you could join my team on crowdrise to get the name recognition, not a huge deal, it is completely up to you.

tawdryaudre
01-05-2015, 03:48 PM
All right, everyone! Mikey, you officially have competition for this side bet... I set up a fundraiser for Thrive DC through your Crowdrise page. My fundraising goal is $1,001.

I'm gonna spend part of Friday's happy hour shamelessly recruiting people to join my team... let's do this, folks! Tra la la la, it shall be a grand ol' time.

https://www.crowdrise.com/FreezingSaddlesHomeless

Mikey
01-08-2015, 10:33 AM
All right, everyone! Mikey, you officially have competition for this side bet... I set up a fundraiser for Thrive DC through your Crowdrise page. My fundraising goal is $1,001.

I'm gonna spend part of Friday's happy hour shamelessly recruiting people to join my team... let's do this, folks! Tra la la la, it shall be a grand ol' time.

https://www.crowdrise.com/FreezingSaddlesHomeless

Audre, I just saw your team link, It sounds great! Thanks for joining in! I look forward to meeting you at the happy hour, and stealing teammates for my team

Mikey
03-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Chance to give to FEEDING SADDLES - Give to either the Capital Area Food Bank (https://www.crowdrise.com/FreezingSaddles2015), or Thrive DC (https://www.crowdrise.com/FreezingSaddlesHomeless), and feel good about yourself.

Help us Help others!

komorebi
03-20-2015, 11:56 AM
I'll donate another $0.05 per Freezing Saddle point earned by Mikey's team, up to a total of $150.

Kudos to Mikey's team (Mike and Keow) for collectively earning 1871 Freezing Saddles points this year! Way to tough it out in the cold, snow, rain, and wind. In honor of your hard work, I happily just donated an additional $94 to the Capital Area Food Bank.

Mikey, thanks again for setting this up!

Mikey
03-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Kudos to Mikey's team (Mike and Keow) for collectively earning 1871 Freezing Saddles points this year! Way to tough it out in the cold, snow, rain, and wind. In honor of your hard work, I happily just donated an additional $94 to the Capital Area Food Bank.

Mikey, thanks again for setting this up!
We fell a little short of our 1000 mile goal, but we had fun. I did nothing more than anyone else, you are the real hero!!!