PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for bicycle trailers?

cvcalhoun
10-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Question for all you awesome bicyclists: Does anyone have experience with lights for a bike trailer (the kind you carry children in)? The trailer came with some large reflectors on the back. However, when I'm riding my bike without a trailer, I use at least three tail lights (two of which would be covered up by the trailer), and I'm really reluctant to rely on just reflectors when carrying my granddaughter. Does anyone know of any tail lights specifically meant for trailers, and/or have any bright (so to speak!) ideas for mounting regular tail lights on a trailer?

peterw_diy
10-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Our Burley has a loop on the back cover that holds a light with a belt-clip mount. Caveat: we lost one --bounced off, I expect-- so I secured the current light with a zip tie.

GuyContinental
10-30-2014, 07:08 AM
I just attach the WABA/BA frog blinky lights to trailers and the kids' other bikes. On the Skuut I had to create a mounting point with a couple of small screws.

cyclingfool
10-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Ditto on the loop that peter mentioned. Both my Radbot and my Superflash attach there easily. Fortunately I haven't lost a light yet, but I can't say I haven't been warned now. It's usually daylight when I'm riding with my kid in my trailer, so I haven't worried too much about lights.

Depending on your trailer type and how much of the metal frame is exposed, you may be able either use seat post type light mounts or engineer a way using clamps or zip ties to secure another couple light mounting points on the trailer itself.

cvcalhoun
11-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up finding some wraparound lights that would fit onto the frame.

mstone
11-01-2014, 08:07 PM
If it's using normal CPSC reflectors, they often can be unscrewed and replaced with a light whose mounting bracket screws into the same holes.

peterw_diy
11-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Looks great!