PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Saddles 2015

Pages : 1 [2]

Zurichman
12-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I would like to join the frozen saddle contest. I doubt if I could join any happy hours as I live 90 miles away in rural Pa. and just want to ride my bike. A weekly goal for me in Jan would be 50 miles a week. I will be logging my miles on Bikejournal.com not strava.

Zman

jrenaut
12-07-2014, 09:55 PM
I would like to join the frozen saddle contest. I doubt if I could join any happy hours as I live 90 miles away in rural Pa. and just want to ride my bike. A weekly goal for me in Jan would be 50 miles a week. I will be logging my miles on Bikejournal.com not strava.

Zman

I'm not entirely sure you aren't just trolling RCannon, but if you're serious - your location isn't super important, but we'd rather you were a part of the forum. If this post is just the beginning of you joining our community, then welcome! Unfortunately, for Freezing Saddles, using Strava isn't really optional. The website that tracks scores and whatnot reads data from Strava, so you only get credit for miles logged there.

Steve O
12-07-2014, 11:33 PM

Zman

Actually, Freezing Saddles is a regional game for cyclists in the DC area. If you like the idea, I would recommend you create a similar game in your area. Thanks for your interest, though. If you are ever in the DC area, perhaps you can come to one of our regular gatherings: coffee clubs, happy hours, etc. We'd love to meet you.

hozn
12-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Also worth noting that the competition tracking source code is all open-source; you are welcome to use it/adapt it. https://github.com/hozn/bafs

consularrider
12-08-2014, 09:09 AM

Zman

Just want to welcome you to this forum as another bikejournal.com aficionado.

Boomer2U
12-22-2014, 10:34 PM
I just registered for FS2015 and look forward to meeting/riding with you all this winter. I chase after Steve0 and his touring Fuji on a regular basis, never quite catching him, and look forward to earning meaningless points for doing so (finally).

rcannon100
12-23-2014, 07:39 AM
There are two parts of Freezing Saddles.

(A) There is a teem competition where participants receive points for days and miles ridden - and the teem at the end wins an incredibly valuable trophy. Any teem member that rides - from the biggest to the tiniest - contributes to points for the team. U dont have to be a strong rider.

(B) Pointless prizes and Side Games. These are stupid (read "must fun part") games such as taking photos of the prezidents in order and who had the coldest ride.

The only diff between slackers and non-slackers is that
* non-slacker competitive types are competing in (A) and (B)
* slackars are competing solemente in (B).

If you signed up as a slacker cause you think you dont ride much - you missed the point. If you want to be a blood thirsty, gotta beat Dread, competitive types - let me know (soon).

Boomer2U
12-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Thank for the clarification between (A) and (B) as that distinction was lost on me in the online registration. I mistakenly signed up to be a (B) Slacker but should've said (A). How can I get my classification changed?

Arlingtonrider
12-23-2014, 08:59 AM
If you want to play the game with us and fully participate in the fun of Freezing Saddles, don't be a slacker. You don't have to be ultra competitive to play. Just ride a few times a week. Even one mile a day! I am not a competitive type or super high mileage rider and I'm registering for a non-slacker team.

Mr. Cannon - I thought your post was great, but your last sentence may bring back some of the confusion.

DismalScientist
12-23-2014, 09:18 AM
I am not a competitive type and I'm playing.

Do you realize how difficult it is to keep up with you after HDCC?

Boomer2U
12-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Mr. Arlingtonrider, I am game to ride. My point is that the flippant definitions of categories weren't clear as a newbie to this competition. Now that it's been clarified, I'll like to change my category so that I can contribute more. But now it's not clear to me how I switch categories. Would you be so kind as a veteran to help out a newbie? Thank you.

rcannon100
12-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Mr. Arlingtonrider, I am game to ride. My point is that the flippant definitions of categories weren't clear as a newbie to this competition. Now that it's been clarified, I'll like to change my category so that I can contribute more. But now it's not clear to me how I switch categories. Would you be so kind as a veteran to help out a newbie? Thank you.

Actually, Boomer, you're the reason I posted the note. A friend of Steve O as a slacker!!! Not possible! Heresy. Anyway, consider it done.

DismalScientist
12-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Mr. Cannon responds to personal calls at 3:00 am.:rolleyes:

Mikey
12-23-2014, 09:28 AM

And not to be prickly, but Arlingtonrider is our Queen Bee. We forgive you because we love you. We are all winners!

rcannon100
12-23-2014, 09:29 AM
I am not a competitive type

Its not good to be lying right be4 the Jolly Old Canadian - who has been engaged in wiretaps and massive profiling - crosses the border without going through immigration, breaks into our houses in the middle of the night, and steals cookies and milk.

flippant definitions of categories

Hang around the forum more. You havent seen anything yet.

chris_s
12-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Bacon Cheddar Scones are like rocket fuel for cyclists.

Boomer2U
12-23-2014, 10:09 AM
My apologies to Ms. Arlingtonrider for my gender assumption . For the record, I donated & rode in Hains Point 100 precisely to help address that bias! :-)

Arlingtonrider
12-23-2014, 10:17 AM
lol - no apologies needed! No queen bee either. That was a fun day at Hains Point and it was great to see and visit with you there!

Thanks for supporting the HP100, and welcome to Freezing Saddles!

Kathy

Arlingtonrider
12-23-2014, 10:26 AM
If I didn't have such a good time hanging out with you all, I wouldn't have to rush to work after long HDCCs on meeting days. Btw, according to Strava, my ride in after HDCC last week was 9 mph avg. Anyway, Chris might be right about the scones. ;)

dasgeh
12-23-2014, 10:32 AM
If I didn't have such a good time hanging out with you all I wouldn't have to rush to work after long HDCCs on meeting days. btw, according to Strava, my ride in after HDCC last week was 9 mph avg. Anyway, Chris might be right about the scones. ;)

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight... I always ride super-fast away from people who I had the most fun with ;-)

Arlingtonrider
12-23-2014, 10:47 AM
;)

lordofthemark
12-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Bacon Cheddar Scones are like rocket fuel for cyclists.

I am pleased to have another excuse to ride slowly. Maybe I need to talk with my rabbi?

Marlon
12-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Hi - new to the forum and live in Fairfax Station. I need some motivation to get in some miles before Spring. How do I sign up for Freezing Saddles???

Marlon

dkel
12-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Hi - new to the forum and live in Fairfax Station. I need some motivation to get in some miles before Spring. How do I sign up for Freezing Saddles???

Marlon

Welcome to the forum. See this thread (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7864-Freezing-Saddles-2015-At-Least-Yer-Not-in-Kiev-Comrade) for FS registration info.

Mikey
12-24-2014, 09:33 AM

Marlon

I ride downtown from Fairfax near GMU if you are interested in a ride buddy. Commitments are nice to keep me motivated.

Steve O
01-02-2015, 01:22 PM
I will be highly disappointed if there is not a photo of you riding a bike in Cancun wearing pearls.

Glad to oblige.

KLizotte
01-02-2015, 02:58 PM
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7314&stc=1

From Primal Wear (https://www.facebook.com/primalwear).

PotomacCyclist
01-02-2015, 03:35 PM
http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/5-reasons-ride-outside-winter

5 Reasons to Ride Outside This Winter
Don't let the cold keep you inside. Here's why it pays to brave the brrr.
BY SELENE YEAGER

Fast Friendly Guy
01-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone just a quick update. This is Fast Friendly Guy, and today I am at the top of the leaderboard for Freezing Scalpels.yep that's right today is my shoulder surgery but I'm looking forward to a speedy recovery and back on the bike. Glad to see that Karen B is doing such a great job maintaining the Pomroy tradition

consularrider
01-22-2015, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone just a quick update. This is Fast Friendly Guy, and today I am at the top of the leaderboard for Freezing Scalpels.yep that's right today is my shoulder surgery but I'm looking forward to a speedy recovery and back on the bike. Glad to see that Karen B is doing such a great job maintaining the Pomroy tradition

We all wish you a speedy recovery.

rcannon100
01-23-2015, 07:21 PM
So this morning we were discussing the possibility of Fantasy-Freezing-Saddles.

And then I noticed that last years team, and the years before, are still clubs on strava. In theory we could make a parallel universe where we are competing as well based on last years team - and even the first years team!

Just saying bc it would be so stupid it would be fun.

(Why yes, its 8:21 pm on a Friday and I am in fact busy avoiding work)

sjclaeys
01-23-2015, 07:50 PM
So this morning we were discussing the possibility of Fantasy-Freezing-Saddles.

And then I noticed that last years team, and the years before, are still clubs on strava. In theory we could make a parallel universe where we are competing as well based on last years team - and even the first years team!

Just saying bc it would be so stupid it would be fun.

(Why yes, its 8:21 pm on a Friday and I am in fact busy avoiding work)

It would be multi-dimensional BAFS!

Subby
01-23-2015, 10:17 PM
I think it is important to point out that, right now, at 11:16PM EST, our own Chris Randall is 6th in the Strava world for their January MTS challenge.

https://app.strava.com/challenges/368

Woohoo!

jopamora
01-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Hate to be a Debby Downer, but it looks like the MTS leaderboard is wonky.

I think it is important to point out that, right now, at 11:16PM EST, our own Chris Randall is 6th in the Strava world for their January MTS challenge.

https://app.strava.com/challenges/368

Woohoo!

consularrider
01-24-2015, 06:45 AM
Hate to be a Debby Downer, but it looks like the MTS leaderboard is wonky.

Yeah, it's double counting my Strava miles for January's MTS challenge.

vern
01-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Strava double-counted/posted my commute home last night so I manually deleted one of them.

rcannon100
01-27-2015, 10:32 AM
The Kansas City Star coverage (http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article8228157.html) of the great blizzard of 2015. Rule 9.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/1nyvkt/picture8227980/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/Winter%20Weather%20%282%29

rcannon100
02-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Is it my imagination, or is this the most competitive FS that we have had? Normally by now the teams have separation and pretty much keep that separation. I do not believe we have ever seen such a tight competition with so many teams switching places.

Compliments to Emma and ACL for racking the billiard balls (setting the teams and substitutes)

And Team Octothorpe ~~~ take the day off wood ya?!

Sunyata
02-09-2015, 07:20 AM

No, NEVER! :cool:

As a side note, this is seriously the best and most fun cycling competition I have ever done. And it is really putting me in a favourable position for completing the SM100 later this year (my first attempt at doing 100 miles on a mountain bike). So thank you to everyone who has helped put this together.

jrenaut
02-09-2015, 08:10 AM
On Saturday, Team 10 had 3 metric centuries, a 50 mile ride, a 30 mile ride, and all but maybe one person had at least a sleaze ride, and I think we lost ground. The competition is definitely more intense this year. And I know I've ridden more miles yet am much further down the individual leaderboard than last year.

dbb
02-09-2015, 08:47 AM
I did my Team 10 sleaze ride at about 0430 before my flight to Florida. Haven't yet uploaded it. Alas I was not able to ride on Sunday but will bang something out upon my return to DC this evening.

Steve O
02-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Is it my imagination, or is this the most competitive FS that we have had? Normally by now the teams have separation and pretty much keep that separation. I do not believe we have ever seen such a tight competition with so many teams switching places.

Compliments to Emma and ACL for racking the billiard balls (setting the teams and substitutes)

I think a large part of the difference is that there are more teams. The separation from first to last is virtually identical to last year, so the overall tightness is relatively unchanged. But the fact that there are more teams within that range puts each team closer to others.

Quick statistical update: In simulations, team assignments this year outperform pure random assignments 80% of the time. This year's assignments perform almost as well as the Modified Random proposal (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7689-Freezing-Saddles-2015&p=100343#post100343), with MR outperforming current rankings 60% of the time and vice versa 40%.

bikeeveryday
02-10-2015, 09:59 PM
I agree the competition is fierce! I have been following the FS web page and watching on Strava, but not doing much on the Forum. I have a question, which maybe has already been answered: are indoor trainer rides counted in this competition? Seems to me there are some of those posted, and I thought this was a ride outside encouragement activity... If they don't count, how does the great FS web site parse them out?

cvcalhoun
02-10-2015, 10:13 PM
I agree the competition is fierce! I have been following the FS web page and watching on Strava, but not doing much on the Forum. I have a question, which maybe has already been answered: are indoor trainer rides counted in this competition? Seems to me there are some of those posted, and I thought this was a ride outside encouragement activity... If they don't count, how does the great FS web site parse them out?

If you mark the ride as a trainer ride, or put #NOBAFS in the description, it doesn't get counted. The scoreboard is smart that way. ;)

americancyclo
02-11-2015, 07:23 AM
I think a large part of the difference is that there are more teams. The separation from first to last is virtually identical to last year, so the overall tightness is relatively unchanged. But the fact that there are more teams within that range puts each team closer to others.

Quick statistical update: In simulations, team assignments this year outperform pure random assignments 80% of the time. This year's assignments perform almost as well as the Modified Random proposal (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7689-Freezing-Saddles-2015&p=100343#post100343), with MR outperforming current rankings 60% of the time and vice versa 40%.

Can you define "outperform" in this context?

vvill
02-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Definitely seems like fiercer competition this year. Amazing to see the numbers of miles being racked up by so many riders throughout all the teams.

Glad I'm not competing (other than side bets I guess, which I haven't actually participated in either, yet - beerneuring has been tempting though!)

Steve O
02-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Can you define "outperform" in this context?

Yes; sorry that was unclear. I take the ratio of points of the last place team divided by the first place team. The higher that value, the closer the teams are, and, presumably, the more competitive. I realize this is not a perfect measure of "dispersion," but it's a starting point. As of Feb. 7, this value was 62% for BAFS2015, Last year's ending value was 63%.

There was a long discussion last fall about this starting with this post (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7689-Freezing-Saddles-2015&p=100343#post100343).

rcannon100
02-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Oh we stopped counting Vin a long time ago. At this point, the first and the last place teams are outliers. As for all the other teams, its never been so close with so many teams constantly switching places. After all, one must consider standard deviations. In previous years, your team established its place, or position, or whatever (who cares grammar idiots) - and that was it. You cruised to the end zone. This year, if I dont put in 50 miles days, Shawn of the Dread will beat me!

DismalScientist
02-11-2015, 08:29 AM
In previous years, your team established its place, or position, or whatever (who cares grammar idiots) - and that was it. You cruised to the end zone.

I think you misremember two years ago.

ShawnoftheDread
02-11-2015, 09:19 AM
This year...Shawn of the Dread will beat me!

Yeah, that's difficult.

jrenaut
02-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Yeah, that's difficult.
I think he meant, like, with your belt.

rcannon100
02-11-2015, 09:57 AM
I think he meant, like, with your belt.

Actually, I think its a cricket mallet.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0a/29/2f/0a292f02eff6cc3a7062a7d056bf1237.jpg

Steve O
02-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Definitely seems like fiercer competition this year. Amazing to see the numbers of miles being racked up by so many riders throughout all the teams.

Also, there are still about 40 riders who have ridden every single day. I think last year we ended with 14 (is that right?). That is most certainly going to be way up this year.

jopamora
02-11-2015, 10:42 AM
I think you misremember two years ago.

Just like when you lost your way to work, um how many times was it?

KayakCyndi
02-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Also, there are still about 40 riders who have ridden every single day. I think last year we ended with 14 (is that right?). That is most certainly going to be way up this year.

Have you seen the forecast for this weekend?

creadinger
02-11-2015, 10:49 AM

Yeah! May be a great opportunity (*) to boost those single digit temperature miles!

*And hopefully the last!

dkel
02-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Yep. 100% chance of me riding. :D

Phatboing
02-11-2015, 11:35 AM

And someone needs to step right up and offer a prize, because I'm not doing this for just the bragging rights, you know.

Phatboing
02-11-2015, 11:39 AM

Sleazy, with a chance OF DOOOOOOM!

jwetzel
02-11-2015, 12:59 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0a/29/2f/0a292f02eff6cc3a7062a7d056bf1237.jpg
That's a cricket *BAT*.

cvcalhoun
02-12-2015, 08:50 PM

Sorry, but my (British) wife informs me that if it does not include tea, it is not cricket. Implements of destruction are all very well, but they must be accompanied by tea.

dkel
02-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Sorry, but my (British) wife informs me that if it does not include tea, it is not cricket. Implements of destruction are all very well, but they must be accompanied by tea.

And as long as we're being picky, it's a cricket bat, not a mallet.

cvcalhoun
02-12-2015, 10:54 PM
And as long as we're being picky, it's a cricket bat, not a mallet.

Oh, I know that. I just didn't mention it because jwetzel already had:

That's a cricket *BAT*.

dkel
02-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Oh, I know that. I just didn't mention it because jwetzel already had:

Oh. Didn't see that! (It's such a small post, and such a BIG picture!)

vern
02-13-2015, 08:41 PM
I just finished running some errands...it's really freakin' cold out there! So while I was walking from the car to the store, thinking about how cold it is, I realized that I spent 3 hours and 20 minutes riding in this shizz today. I enjoyed most of it, but there's no way i would have done that if it wasn't for this silly competition, for which I feel grateful.

Brünø Moore
02-15-2015, 08:39 PM
It's a Bad Sign™ when you look at the weather forecast, notice that there's going to be about five minutes above freezing all week, and just decide that, screw it, if it's not going to be warm enough to ride, may as well plan to ride when it's coldest.

That promised -3º low on Thursday is already on my "to ride" radar. Now that I've said it, I guess I have no choice but to do it.

Vicegrip
02-16-2015, 11:28 AM
"Not going to be warm enough to ride...." Un-possible!

dasgeh
02-16-2015, 05:26 PM
I'm seeing a low of -12 on Friday. I blame yall

jrenaut
02-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Bear in mind that -3 won't even get you to the top of the Coldest Ride leaderboard.

vvill
02-16-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm "only" seeing -5F around here in the forecast. But I imagine by the time I'm out of the house it'll be at least -4F!

vern
02-16-2015, 09:11 PM
So now that the FEDS are off tomorrow I need to go find myself a fatty so that I can go on a good, long ride.

jwetzel
02-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Just did a very snowy 2.5 miles on CaBi only to have my phone freeze, shut down, and not record the ride. :mad:

kwarkentien
02-16-2015, 10:53 PM
That sucks! Put in a manual entry. You earned it.

Rod Smith
02-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Has anyone volunteered to give a prize for most awesome snotcicles grown during the challenge period?

kwarkentien
02-17-2015, 10:41 AM
That's a great idea! I'll award the prize!

dbb
02-17-2015, 10:44 AM
prize for most awesome snotcicles grown during the challenge period?

Can I suggest the documentation for this prize be sent to the judges only via PM? There are some things you can't unsee!

Sunyata
02-19-2015, 07:46 AM
So, even though it was bitter cold today and tomorrow is going to be even worse, I can say that at least I am not in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Apparently, due to a storm surge, this bike has been encased in ice!
https://twitter.com/RBrennanHfx/status/567358908210364417/photo/1

Harry Meatmotor
02-19-2015, 08:24 AM
So, even though it was bitter cold today and tomorrow is going to be even worse, I can say that at least I am not in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Apparently, due to a storm surge, this bike has been encased in ice!
https://twitter.com/RBrennanHfx/status/567358908210364417/photo/1

Kinda like that poor pink fixie now encased in snow pack in front of the Hirshhorn museum... at least the snow plow drivers were kind enough to push it halfway into the street.

Subby
02-21-2015, 12:47 AM
Look who is being all sneaky in February. WE'RE ON TO YOU, KURT.

:D

Vicegrip
02-21-2015, 05:30 AM
Nuts.

A fluke. Worry not, have some hot chocolate and start that long book you have been meaning to read.

rcannon100
02-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Look who is being all sneaky in February. WE'RE ON TO YOU, KURT.

:D

Didnt someone strap a whole bunch of lead to his bike????

Vicegrip
02-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Didnt someone strap a whole bunch of lead to his bike????I tried to do that to Rod with 14 pounds of 1/1/15 award and a 3/8 thick steel seat bag to put it in. Seems my evil plan has not worked all to well......

Rod Smith
02-22-2015, 12:47 AM
Some problems with compatibility of my awesome steel seat bag with my saddle rails. None of my miles should count (except for the ride home from the Freezing Saddles Kick-Off Party) until I get it sorted out. #NOBAFS. Apologies to team two. :(

wheels&wings
02-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Sometimes it feels like Freezing Saddles makes no sense. Here we are, getting points and kudos for doing what we love. Huh?
When I’m forced behind a wheel for work or for long-distance carpooling, like yesterday’s 3.5 hours of tense driving during the storm, I get absolutely nothing… not a single kudo, only stress. And then I get on my bike, pure joy, and I get points?!
I feel truly sorry for the millions of Americans who have to drive their cars long commutes every day…. so many people have no choice. We are very, very lucky here in Arlington.

rcannon100
02-22-2015, 12:50 PM
When I’m forced behind a wheel for work or for long-distance carpooling, like yesterday’s 3.5 hours of tense driving during the storm, I get absolutely nothing…

Nah nah nah. For being an incredible mom and the outstanding things you do on weekends for your kids, you get all the kudos! I am always in awe of parents like you.

http://mbakakeeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/kudos.gif

Steve O
02-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Reason: Where are MY kudos for shoveling the F'ing driveway????

Just ask your son.

Steve O
02-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Sometimes it feels like Freezing Saddles makes no sense. Here we are, getting points and kudos for doing what we love. Huh?

But it's fun!
And because it's fun, we like to proselytize that fun to others. Every team has some players who are, for the first time, riding their bikes in the winter. Or maybe riding their bikes at all. And they are now experiencing the joy and freedom that others of us have enjoyed for years or decades. (Okay, and the pain and suffering, too.) And they are making new friends and hopefully adding value in some way to our community. That's why it makes sense. See you on the trail.

rcannon100
02-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Just ask your son.

He did actually work today.

Vicegrip
02-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Some problems with compatibility of my awesome steel seat bag with my saddle rails. None of my miles should count (except for the ride home from the Freezing Saddles Kick-Off Party) until I get it sorted out. #NOBAFS. Apologies to team two. :(Feel free to stop by. We can take it out to the shop and get it mounted right up. ;)

dkel
02-23-2015, 08:53 PM
So last night I had this dream that we were doing Freezing Saddles in Italy! And it was springtime...

...and then I woke up.

Nuts.

(True story.)

wheels&wings
02-23-2015, 09:42 PM
So last night I had this dream that we were doing Freezing Saddles in Italy! And it was springtime...

I sooo want to be in that dream with you. Please include me in it tonight.

(and apologies, Rockford10, I don’t mean what it sounds like I mean… :+) ).

peterw_diy
02-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Don't worry. It's all lovely in the valley but then there's the climb... to the Alps crossing... where the snow hasn't begun to melt since it's only Spring...

Amalitza
02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Ok, which one of you crazy people was southbound on Commonwealth about 12:20 today WEARING FRICKING SHORTS???

I mean, ok, sure, it is a whole degree above freezing, with sunshine even, but the wind couldn't really have been pleasant on bare skin, could it?

(if no one owns up to this, I guess that means I should have waved him down and recruited him for next year, huh?)

jrenaut
02-27-2015, 12:22 PM
He must not have heard Dirt's speech about keeping your knees warm.

Steve O
02-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Ok, which one of you crazy people was southbound on Commonwealth about 12:20 today WEARING FRICKING SHORTS???

I mean, ok, sure, it is a whole degree above freezing, with sunshine even, but the wind couldn't really have been pleasant on bare skin, could it?

It wasn't me, but long ago it could have been. When I first started commuting in the 90's my temperature cutoff for shorts was 32 degrees. As I aged (like wine and violins, I got better) I incrementally bumped that up to 40ish.

vern
03-04-2015, 11:00 PM
It's 11:59 pm. Do you know where your sleazers are?

**I'm so screwed if the FEDS don't close tomorrow.

cvcalhoun
03-04-2015, 11:59 PM

This one just went out for a post-midnight sleaze ride, to make sure I maintain my perfect attendance record regardless of tomorrow's weather conditions.

kwarkentien
03-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Oh honeybun, I'm right here! My feline children think I'm friggin' nuts.

jrenaut
03-05-2015, 06:24 AM
It's 7:23am and there are already 9 people who have ridden every day including today. There is seriously something wrong with us all.

Greenbelt
03-05-2015, 07:10 AM
It's 7:23am and there are already 9 people who have ridden every day including today. There is seriously something wrong with us all.

I'm waiting for the snow to pile up before I go out.

kwarkentien
03-05-2015, 07:13 AM

You're just realizing this now??????? :D

dasgeh
03-05-2015, 08:25 AM

**I'm so screwed if the FEDS don't close tomorrow.
Some of us had the good sense to sleep, and do a sleaze ride at 7am when it was still raining and 37 degrees.

jrenaut
03-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Some of us had the good sense to sleep, and do a sleaze ride at 7am when it was still raining and 37 degrees.

I wasn't willing to risk it. I should have, though.

dbb
03-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Now this is a sleaze ride. Although I went out in the snow, the out tracks on the right and return tracks on the left demonstrate my lack of will, or my extreme commitment to sleaze.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/IMG_4893_zpszcewc2wy.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/IMG_4893_zpszcewc2wy.jpg.html)

vern
03-05-2015, 09:27 AM

I thought this game was premised on suspending good sense and rational thought?

Mtansill
03-05-2015, 10:29 AM

That's me! It was fun watching it all turn to sleet and then to snow before I got back home. Fun! I swear! *cackles* :rolleyes:

Rod Smith
03-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Riding in cold rain to avoid a snow ride? That's some rule #9 right there.

consularrider
03-05-2015, 11:51 AM

Well, I looked out the window at 6 am and saw no snow, so went back to sleep until 7:30. I didn't end up getting out on the bike until 10 and thoroughly enjoyed my ride to the Monolith and back.

cvcalhoun
03-05-2015, 12:29 PM

And then there was my approach. I did a sleaze ride just after midnight, just in case the weather was too bad to ride in the morning. And then I did my usual ride to breakfast, pick up groceries, and stop by the Y for strength training, starting at 7:45 AM.

Brünø Moore
03-05-2015, 01:47 PM
And here I was intentionally waiting for the snow to start...

cvcalhoun
03-05-2015, 01:50 PM

You may have waited too long, if you haven't gone yet. On the way home, I had trouble even walking the bike, because snow was getting between the brake pads and the wheel, stopping the wheel from going around.

peterw_diy
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Me, too. Isn't it a rule that we all must try to boost the "hours in ..." stats on the FS home page???

Brünø Moore
03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
You may have waited too long, if you haven't gone yet. On the way home, I had trouble even walking the bike, because snow was getting between the brake pads and the wheel, stopping the wheel from going around.

Already went—though if I wait long enough, the snow will be deep enough to cushion my fall when I slide out on the slick patches, right?

...should mention that the closest thing I have to a snow bike is my '87 Schwinn with 27x1-1/2 commuter tires. The Wo in the shop window is looking even nicer right about now.

Greenbelt
03-05-2015, 03:09 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11034289_802545616478824_3707415538280546657_n.jpg ?oh=6fbfb4b181ae5cba453664764dcdd3ee&oe=5583AB9A&__gda__=1433397744_d6649e300d5849f9380d082150eb9ca 2

vern
03-05-2015, 03:36 PM
i just took a ride on neighborhood streets and this neighbor kid, about 12, asked, "so, why are you riding a bike in the snow?" I actually felt sad when he asked that - sad for him, that at age 12 the playfulness of this life has abandoned him.

Rockford10
03-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Citi bike station was down, so no sideways NYC ride today. [insert sad trombone noise]

dplasters
03-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Checking the seven day forecast, a smile crossed his face. Cautiously, he removed the Barmitts from his bike.

TwoWheelsDC
03-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Checking the seven day forecast, a smile crossed his face. Cautiously, he removed the Barmitts from his bike.

I took mine off today too...mostly because the gloves I bought this winter are sufficiently warm on their own for even today's cold temps, so they're more in-the-way than they are truly useful at this point.