PDA

View Full Version : W&OD/495 bridge

CCrew
06-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Anyone seen when the latest official complete date is? Was October of last year, then Nov, then Jan, then they were posting dates on the flashing signs now even they are gone. Looks like the bridge is done and it's all approach work.

Looks like it's going to be a dogleg on/off though rather than sliding the trail over.

CCrew
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
They were paving the approaches into the new bridge today and looking like they were putting some finishing touches on. I wouldn't give it much longer before it's open. About time, because the old bridge is a dropoff on either side now..

eminva
06-14-2011, 04:09 PM
According to FABB, it will be open tomorrow!

http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-w-trail-bridge-over-beltway-to-open.html

And it will be a dogleg:

http://virginiahotlanes.com/documents/ped/W-OD%20Trail.pdf

Admittedly did not go through there today, but as of yesterday afternoon there was a rather steep drop off down to the beltway below on the approaches on both sides -- and no fence. No agoraphobics allowed!

Liz

CCrew
06-15-2011, 07:18 AM
I rode across it at 3am this morning. I call firsts!!! LOL

Mark Blacknell
06-15-2011, 08:17 AM
They're really not going to realign the trail? A sharp turn to enter and exit? Jumping jesus on a pogo stick, I'm tired of all of the half-assed engineering design (maybe it was a high-school engineering project?) that goes into trail facilities.

CCrew
06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
They're really not going to realign the trail? A sharp turn to enter and exit? Jumping jesus on a pogo stick, I'm tired of all of the half-assed engineering design (maybe it was a high-school engineering project?) that goes into trail facilities.

Nope. Make it worse on the east side of the bridge rather than resurface the trail they paved a 18" wide strip to widen it slightly so it was a bit less of a transition. So now you have a nice seam/line from old to new pavement that runs in the direction of travel to boot.

Whoever signed off on this one should be dragged out there and horsewhipped.

eminva
06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Did they at least put up a fence to keep anyone who misjudged it from going over the Edge of the Abyss (and down to the beltway below)? I was planning to ride in today, but am sick instead, so I didn't see it myself.

Sounds lovely.

Liz

RESTONTODC
06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Liz,

I hope you feel better soon so you can ride.

We're still using the old bridge this morning. There were a lot activities. They put up the metal wire fence, similar to the old one.

Hopefully, I will be on the new one going home. I hate the bump as you get on the old bridge.

Rick

Bruce Wright
06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
While the new bridge opened today, final paving won't occur for a while (couple of weeks?). Also, the fence that is supposed to keep cyclists from dropping into the abyss isn't in place either. Seems like the ribbon-cutting should have been delayed until the job is really complete.

The alignment isn't good, with two turns into and out of the bridge. Everyone needs to be cautious when first using it.

RESTONTODC
06-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I rode on it this afternoon. It's a not completed job yet.

It looks like they gave this job to the lowest bidder. It doesn't look safe at all.

CCrew
06-16-2011, 04:22 AM
While the new bridge opened today, final paving won't occur for a while (couple of weeks?). Also, the fence that is supposed to keep cyclists from dropping into the abyss isn't in place either. Seems like the ribbon-cutting should have been delayed until the job is really complete.

The alignment isn't good, with two turns into and out of the bridge. Everyone needs to be cautious when first using it.

Yeah.. As of 3am this morning it had the orange PVC construction netting up along the abyss, so you should get a good idea of what the permanent fence is going to look like because it would make sense to follow the line that's there now.. New bridge is certainly at least 3-4 feet wider. I'm not quite ready to condemn them yet, looks like the east side of the trail has been widened 18" on each side down to the first footbridge, and there's all that utility piping on the west side which leads me to believe there's still work to be done. Since there's still orange markings on the east side marking potholes I think that the 3' they added to the width may get topped with another layer of asphalt. Certainly hope so, because what's down there now is pretty pathetic from a quality standpoint.

Now if they run with what's there they deserve everything they get.

I don't like the dogleg but it's workable. Speeds can get kind of interesting in that stretch and it might calm them a bit.

JimF22003
06-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Nope. Make it worse on the east side of the bridge rather than resurface the trail they paved a 18" wide strip to widen it slightly so it was a bit less of a transition. So now you have a nice seam/line from old to new pavement that runs in the direction of travel to boot.

Whoever signed off on this one should be dragged out there and horsewhipped.

It looks like they might be getting ready to lay another layer of pavement from the bridge ends down across the part where they added the strip on the side. Hopefully the part with the strip is just a temporary base for the new layer.

CCrew
06-16-2011, 07:12 AM
It looks like they might be getting ready to lay another layer of pavement from the bridge ends down across the part where they added the strip on the side. Hopefully the part with the strip is just a temporary base for the new layer.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Especially since they'll have to demo the old bridge approach and blend and landscape the new one in.

acc
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Went out to the bridge today and all the barriers are in place, plenty of fencing on both sides. The entry/exit seems ok, it is a moderate curve. The bad news is it will be torn up again starting Monday. The guys working over there today told me the drainage pipes were not placed before the asphalt was poured.

ann

CCrew
06-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Went out to the bridge today and all the barriers are in place, plenty of fencing on both sides. The entry/exit seems ok, it is a moderate curve. The bad news is it will be torn up again starting Monday. The guys working over there today told me the drainage pipes were not placed before the asphalt was poured.

I vote acc for construction supervisor :)

acc
06-16-2011, 11:35 AM
How did you guess there's nothing I enjoy more than standing around in a bright orange sundress chatting with the construction guys?! I figured they seemed so friendly waving and saying, "Good morning" (I'm pretty sure that's what they were saying) that I might as well talk to them and find out what they could tell me about the bridge.
:rolleyes:

ann

eminva
06-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Okay, some of you have engineering or technical backgrounds while I have the total opposite, but wouldn't the normal procedure be to put in the drainage pipes first and then the pavement??

I have a friend who lives near the bridge who told me a long time ago (if I'm remembering correctly) that the original plan was to divert the W&OD trail permanently to Idylwood and the bridge would not be replaced, so I guess this is a far better outcome, even if imperfect.

Liz

DaveK
06-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Okay, some of you have engineering or technical backgrounds while I have the total opposite, but wouldn't the normal procedure be to put in the drainage pipes first and then the pavement??

Dollars to donuts the guys pouring the asphalt the guys laying the drainage piping never spoke to each other. And their foreman/contractor didn't give a crap, they'll just tear it up and replace it. Welcome to life in the field on construction projects...

CCrew
06-16-2011, 04:01 PM

You'll never make it in government either :p

brendan
06-20-2011, 12:48 PM
When I rode that section a few times last week, my only concern was that while the netting/fencing blocking the westbound entrance to the old bridge was orange, the fencing blocking the eastbound entrance to the old bridge was black. Granted there were three orange barrels across the trail there suggesting one should not proceed past them...but the black fence itself is invisible at night...

Brendan

consularrider
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
It does have a fresh, bright an lovely yellow line down the middle of the trail to help you see. I'll bet it's not reflective though. Maybe a few reflective strips should be added to that black fence?

CCrew
06-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm not getting the black fence. West side was barrels and orange fence and the east side was 6 tall' portable silver anchor fence sections when I came through @3am this morning. I'll grant however that I didn't look yesterday, so it's entirely possible it's in a state of flux.

Looks like a drunk painted the yellow center line though :-)

Dirt
06-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Looks like a drunk painted the yellow center line though :-)
I'm going to go on record saying that I had NOTHING to do with painting that center line. At least I don't remember having anything to do with it. I guess anything's possible. ;)

eminva
06-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Looks like they are starting to demo the old bridge (as of this a.m.).

Liz

CCrew
06-22-2011, 11:55 AM
It does have a fresh, bright an lovely yellow line down the middle of the trail to help you see. I'll bet it's not reflective though. Maybe a few reflective strips should be added to that black fence?

BTW, that line is reflective. As are the barrels.

consularrider
06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
I'll have to try it sometime after dark if I can stay up that late (or get up that early).

CCrew
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
I'll have to try it sometime after dark if I can stay up that late (or get up that early).

The barrels are actually painfully bright with 1000 lumens or so shining at them :)

Mark Blacknell
06-23-2011, 08:36 AM
So here's a photoset (http://www.flickr.com/photos/blacknell/sets/72157626904183027/) of the problems. Highlights:

Abrupt curve into new alignment. I'm *really* hoping this is temporary, and that there will be a more gentle bend (through the "Road Work Ahead" sign) in the final product:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/5863395100_02ebba5bf8_z.jpg

Speed bumps for our added pleasure?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5309/5863396518_f0cd996acc_z.jpg

Another unnecessarily sharp bend:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/5863397562_a30161d395_z.jpg

And just a reminder about the amount of thought that's put into the actual construction:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/5862843655_3be517af34_z.jpg

Seriously? That's not a fallen branch. They actually put this "information" sign behind a bush. Well done!

I'll be following up with VDOT to encourage them not to drop concrete walls/fenceposts into the path of the alignment this trail reconstruction should follow.

CCrew
06-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Speed bumps for our added pleasure?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5309/5863396518_f0cd996acc_z.jpg

That's my indicator that they're not done and there's another layer of asphalt planned. Or not. :)

Hey, still better than the ramp on the old bridge. The trail alignment though to me looks like a done deal and that whole dogleg stays.

eminva
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, that "speedbump" is better than what we had on the old bridge, but I fear that if this is what it's like when it's new, then, as time takes its toll . . . not good.

I also think this is the intended alignment, or else they would have built up that slope on the right in your first picture more.

On a positive note, I like how nice and wide the new bridge is.

Thanks for raising these issues, Mark.

Liz

CCrew
06-28-2011, 06:57 AM
As of 3am this morning the new bridge hasn't changed, but they're about half done pulling up the deck on the old one.

RESTONTODC
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM
It looks like the contractor put down another asphalt coat this morning. It's smother and they fixed the famous sink area after the downhill.

They are using the broken white color marking instead of the standard solid yellow.

CCrew
07-20-2011, 12:23 PM
It looks like the contractor put down another asphalt coat this morning. It's smother and they fixed the famous sink area after the downhill.

They are using the broken white color marking instead of the standard solid yellow.

My gawd.. I can't imagine a worse job on a day like today than laying asphalt, can you?

americancyclo
07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
My gawd.. I can't imagine a worse job on a day like today than laying asphalt, can you?

Does asphalt even set at these temperatures?

Dirt
07-20-2011, 01:02 PM
I worked on a road crew for a few years. It isn't much fun. It can set up though.

CCrew
07-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Are we talking about right where you come into the turn off the downhill where the washout is always across the trail? I hope they put a drain underneath if so.

Did notice Monday that the old bridge is totally gone. I'm on vacation this week so riding closer to home.

RESTONTODC
07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Are we talking about right where you come into the turn off the downhill where the washout is always across the trail? I hope they put a drain underneath if so.

I'm not sure we're talking the same thing. The long sinkhole with yellow paint around it in the middle of the trail. To avoid it, you need to ride either on the right or left edge.

Here is the google map link for it.

http://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?ll=38.889755,-77.215079&spn=0.000822,0.001206&sll=38.890055,-77.216295&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ctz=240&t=h&safe=on&z=20

CCrew
07-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure we're talking the same thing.

We're not. I know the hole your talking about. I was referring to the dip just a hundred feet or so east of it where there's always the slick clay in the trail after every storm.

acc
08-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Thought I'd roll out to the Boomerang Bridge (W&OD/495) to gawk. It was very hot and there is a lot of action with asphalt and measuring, talk about pouring your misery down (Garbage running through my head) -- a ton of equipment all moving back and forth like targets in a carnival shooting gallery. On a positive note, I am happy with the west approach, much smoother.

ann

CCrew
08-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Noticed there's a permanent stripe center line on the bridge itself and they're grading out the approaches when I came through this am. Dogleg in the trail is clearly going to stay.