PDA

View Full Version : Blessing of the Bicycles

dkel
10-08-2014, 01:26 PM
You and your bike are invited to a bike blessing ceremony on Sunday, November 2 at Church of the Holy Comforter in Vienna! There will be a short service at 2:00 to bless bikes, an opportunity to ride along the W&OD after the service, then refreshments back at the church at 3:30. All are welcome.
The church is easily accessible by bike from the W&OD trail (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Washington+and+Old+Dominion+Trail,+Vienna,+VA+2218 0/Church+of+the+Holy+Comforter,+543+Beulah+Rd+NE,+Vi enna,+VA+22180/@38.9117372,-77.269062,16z/am=t/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b64bcc1be9eca1:0x5d9 d564a462dc104!2m2!1d-77.2703277!2d38.9070474!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b64a35a88c41 f7:0xfdac2563a161fc17!2m2!1d-77.264746!2d38.915091!3e1). The after-service ride is very casual, not a supported group ride.
Church of the Holy Comforter
543 Beulah Rd, NE
Vienna, Virginia 22180
(703) 938-6521

dkel
10-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Giving this a bump. Get your bike blessed this Sunday! I hope to see you there!

Rockford10
10-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Is there beer?

Steve O
10-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Is there beer?

Great question! If not, might be a good starting/ending point for a coffeeneuring ride, though.

dkel
10-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Is there beer?

It is an Episcopal church, so it's not entirely out of the question. But, let's be honest, being an Episcopal church, there's more likely to be wine. It's not like we're Lutherans!

DismalScientist
10-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Ahem.

dkel
10-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Ahem.

It depends on whether your understanding is of Catholic theology or Episcopalian theology...not sure I want to debate it on the forum!

dkel
10-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Is there beer?

I have spoken to the organizer of refreshments, and I am assured that Rule 47 (http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#47) will be observed.

DanB
10-28-2014, 02:31 PM
It's not like we're Lutherans!

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

lordofthemark
10-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Time to reengineer an old joke for biking.

So. A young Jewish man notes that all his gentile friends, Catholic, Episcopalian and otherwise, are getting their ELITE bikes blessed by their priests/ministers/whathaveyou. Just as he had to have an elite bike, he has to have a blessing too.

So first he goes to an Orthodox rabbi. "Rabbi, will you say a bracha over my carbon fiber racing bike?" "Oy, what's a racing bike?"

So he tries a Conservative rabbi. "Rabbi, will you say a bracha over my carbon fiber racing bike?" "So, what's carbon fiber?"

At last, he tries a Reform rabbi "Rabbi, will you say a bracha over my carbon fiber racing bike? "Hmm, what's a bracha?"

cyclingfool
10-28-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm glad to know that w/o the assistance of Google, I know as much about Judaism as a Reform rabbi. ;)

dkel
10-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

Don't get me wrong: I love Lutherans! When I worked for the Lutherans, they taught me how to brew beer. I have since given up brewing for cycling. Anybody want to buy some home brewing equipment?

DismalScientist
10-28-2014, 02:58 PM
It depends on whether your understanding is of Catholic theology or Episcopalian theology...not sure I want to debate it on the forum!

The "Ahem" was directed at the comment towards Lutherans.:rolleyes: After all, we are in full communion.

As to the Catholic/Protestant comment: The Catholic view is that Protestant bishops don't have the proper apostolic succession to give communion to Catholics. I was just wondering whether the same goes for blessings. My bike is Japanese, and likely Shinto, so it is of no concern to it.:rolleyes:

lordofthemark
10-28-2014, 03:32 PM
The "Ahem" was directed at the comment towards Lutherans.:rolleyes: After all, we are in full communion.

As to the Catholic/Protestant comment: The Catholic view is that Protestant bishops don't have the proper apostolic succession to give communion to Catholics. I was just wondering whether the same goes for blessings. My bike is Japanese, and likely Shinto, so it is of no concern to it.:rolleyes:

My bike, though Hawaiian by way of Cambodia, is clearly Jewish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HTJreaSUE

rcannon100
10-28-2014, 03:34 PM
My bike is buddhist.

http://bodinsterba.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/buddhabike-899x1024.jpg

cyclingfool
10-28-2014, 03:49 PM
My bike is an indifferent atheist and likes to sleep in on Sundays unless it's worshiping at the altar of the velo cult (AKA out for a ride). ;)

Rockford10
10-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Don't get me wrong: I love Lutherans! When I worked for the Lutherans, they taught me how to brew beer. I have since given up brewing for cycling. Anybody want to buy some home brewing equipment?

Dude, please, please, anyone want brewing equipment?

cyclingfool
10-28-2014, 03:57 PM

<Want> and <Have time and space> are very different things. Alas... :(

dkel
10-28-2014, 08:46 PM
The Catholic view is that Protestant bishops don't have the proper apostolic succession to give communion to Catholics. I was just wondering whether the same goes for blessings.

I guess I shouldn't mention that two of the three priests at the church are women. Wait—did I just say that out loud?

dkel
10-29-2014, 11:19 AM
UPDATE: Despite being "Whiskeypalian," the Rector of the church has decided since the youth group is going on this blessing of bikes ride, we won't have beer at the post-ride reception. However, in observation of Rule 47, he has invited any interested adults to go on a post-ride ride to get beer somewhere in Vienna. So all is not lost.

Brünø Moore
10-30-2014, 01:36 PM

*Trying to stay away…years at CUA not letting me…*

It's complicated, and depends on the type of blessing, but even laypeople can validly use and pronounce certain types of blessings (like grace at meals). Long story short, it depends on whether the agent is pronouncing a blessing or their blessing.

Marianne Bianchi, despite her Italian and likely Catholic heritage, is herself rather ecumenically minded and tends to laugh at me and my pedantry.

lordofthemark
10-30-2014, 02:00 PM

It's complicated,

Does anyone here want to hear about biking and Jewish Law (halacha)?

Raymo853
10-30-2014, 02:17 PM

Are you selling stuff? Got any small kegs?

dkel
10-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Are you selling stuff? Got any small kegs?

I have a kegging system made out of one of those soda containers like they use in restaurants; it's 5 gallons, I'm sure. I have hoses, and a tap, and a CO2 tank for it, but my pressure gauge is wonky. I can get pics and PM you if you're interested. Rockford would love for me to get rid of the stuff, and selling it would offset some of my bike expenses, of course. I also have carboys and buckets, and even a grist mill, though the mill may be a little rusty.

dkel
10-30-2014, 02:55 PM

It's complicated, and depends on the type of blessing, but even laypeople can validly use and pronounce certain types of blessings (like grace at meals). Long story short, it depends on whether the agent is pronouncing a blessing or their blessing.

Go Cardinals! I got two masters degrees from CUA.

Blessing bikes is not like consecrating Eucharist or absolving sins, so there's not much here to be worried about. It will be quite a show, though, as I'm told we will not only have the requisite aspergillum, but also incense!

dasgeh
10-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Does anyone here want to hear about biking and Jewish Law (halacha)?

Yes

VikingMariner
10-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Did somebody say beer?

ShawnoftheDread
10-30-2014, 06:24 PM
UPDATE: Despite being "Whiskeypalian," the Rector of the church has decided since the youth group is going on this blessing of bikes ride, we won't have beer at the post-ride reception. However, in observation of Rule 47, he has invited any interested adults to go on a post-ride ride to get beer somewhere in Vienna. So all is not lost.

Episcopalian kids have never seen people drink beer before? The poor dears.

mstone
10-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Episcopalian kids have never seen people drink beer before? The poor dears.

It's pretty normal for non-church youth organizations to have no-booze-at-activies-with-the-kids policies, also. It's really not that big a deal; at some point if someone can't go without having a drink for an afternoon they've crossed from "likes beer" to "alcoholic".

dkel
10-30-2014, 08:36 PM
It's pretty normal for non-church youth organizations to have no-booze-at-activies-with-the-kids policies, also. It's really not that big a deal; at some point if someone can't go without having a drink for an afternoon they've crossed from "likes beer" to "alcoholic".

In this case, it was a decision rather than a policy. Actually, I was kind of surprised, though I don't at all think it is the wrong thing to do. Like you say, it really isn't that important!

ShawnoftheDread
10-30-2014, 08:50 PM
What kid-related events need to start banning instead of beer is crappy DJs.

Raymo853
10-31-2014, 07:37 AM
What kid-related events need to start banning instead of beer is crappy DJs.

I have always hated, even as a teenager, the need people have to have music at every event. People go to events to talk to each other, but end up looking for places to hide from over-amped bands and DJ who all think they are the next Tiësto.

It was like that at the DCCX, each time you came around you could not hear the announcer talking about the leaders because of the music.

ShawnoftheDread
10-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Arlington Fun Ride is even worse than DCCX. Club music at 10:00 in the morning on Sunday at an event specifically marketed to families in a small space.

And none of these DJs has the stones to play Panic. They know we might take the chorus to heart.

dkel
10-31-2014, 09:24 AM
If you like, I can play some nice hymns on the organ after the ride this Sunday...just sayin'.

Raymo853
10-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Maybe there is some sort personality trait that the type of person inclined to organize events likes music and not conversation.

Another horrid example, the MoCo Epic two years ago. The band was freak awful and so over amped for the space. You could not hear the people working the chow line and no way could you talk to anyone while eating. It did discourage me from getting seconds and I took off without lingering.

Maybe that is one reason they do it.

ShawnoftheDread
10-31-2014, 10:27 AM
If you like, I can play some nice hymns on the organ after the ride this Sunday...just sayin'.

Now that I would like.

dkel
10-31-2014, 01:26 PM
I knew I liked bikes, but I just looked over the short liturgy for blessing bikes (and riders), and I admit, I got a bit emotional. I must really like bikes (and riders). I'm really looking forward to this, and I hope some of you fine forum folks can be there to share it with me. Guaranteed, I will be crying before it's over! (Did I mention I really like bikes [and riders]?)

rcannon100
10-31-2014, 01:59 PM
BTW I do have a Masters of Divinity from Yale Divinity School. I am perfectly glad to bless anyone's bike for a cup of Jo at FCCII. For a muffin, I will throw in a sprinkling of holy-lube.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/Yale_Divinity_School.png

lordofthemark
10-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Another joke

So what do the Hebrew letters on Yale's seal mean? "No more than 10 per cent"

(yes, you may have to be really old to get that one)

Riley Casey
11-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Just one question and if you have the right answer you just may convert an atheist to your way of thinking. Will this make the hills significantly easier?

hozn
11-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't think it makes them easier, but you will certainly go faster :)

I will admit to having no idea why you would bless a bicycle; however, as a Lutheran missionary kid I do remember a great deal of ambiguity expressed about whether the Catholics would actually be joining the Lutherans in Heaven. Something about the worship of false idols; my father just let me know people had been condemned to damnation for less and left me to draw my own 8-year-old conclusions from that.

dkel
11-01-2014, 02:58 PM
I will admit to having no idea why you would bless a bicycle;

Same reason you would bless anything: meals, marriages, Communion, whatever. Keep in mind this is not something done in private: the act of gathering together for this common purpose has the power to change hearts and lives, and the blessing is carried with each person as they go their way. Think of it another way: when I started riding to work at the church, there wasn't a lot of talking about bikes around there; this congregation has gone on from there to thinking I'm crazy for riding all the time, to thinking that riding is a positive thing for the community, and they are now acting on it by making it an expression of their faith. This has got to be a good thing, even if you're not sure how the whole blessing thing works, or whether it works at all. Chalk it up to "mysterious ways."

dkel
11-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Just one question and if you have the right answer you just may convert an atheist to your way of thinking. Will this make the hills significantly easier?

"Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain." Isaiah 40:4. Unfortunately, that's prophesy, so I don't think it will help you on the hills. Sorry. Maybe you'll feel lighter after you come out for the event...

hozn
11-01-2014, 06:23 PM
the act of gathering together for this common purpose has the power to change hearts and lives

Yeah, I was being half serious, I guess. As frivolous as it may sound to compare a transportation tool or sport equipment to a lifelong vow of matrimony or the body/blood of Christ, I realize that is not the point; this is a social ritual. If it makes people feel good or makes them like cycling more, it can't be bad. More blessings all around!

dkel
11-03-2014, 10:27 AM
We had a nice bike blessing yesterday, despite the wind. Probably 20 people there, though not everyone went for a ride with us. Saw GB with two of his bikes, and enjoyed meeting and riding with bikesnick. The reception was lavish: fresh fruit, water, tea, Gatorade, crackers and cheese, and Cliff bars! If I remember, I'll post the little service leaflet so everyone can see it. It was a fun event!

bobco85
11-03-2014, 11:27 AM
We had a nice bike blessing yesterday, despite the wind. Probably 20 people there, though not everyone went for a ride with us. Saw GB with two of his bikes, and enjoyed meeting and riding with bikesnick. The reception was lavish: fresh fruit, water, tea, Gatorade, crackers and cheese, and Cliff bars! If I remember, I'll post the little service leaflet so everyone can see it. It was a fun event!

That explains why GB's bike had a slight glow to it when I saw him this morning (saw each other at the bike racks)!

lordofthemark
11-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I was being half serious, I guess. As frivolous as it may sound to compare a transportation tool or sport equipment to a lifelong vow of matrimony or the body/blood of Christ, I realize that is not the point; this is a social ritual. If it makes people feel good or makes them like cycling more, it can't be bad. More blessings all around!

Some of us bless wine without thinking it's anyone's blood ;) We bless out of gratitude for something that gives joy and enhances life. And when talk turns to gratitude for joy and enhanced life, I know I think of biking ;)

DismalScientist
11-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Some of us bless wine without thinking it's anyone's blood ;)

Oh great... Now someone has to bring up the transubstantiation vs. consubstantiation debate.:rolleyes:

Crickey7
11-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Oh great... Now someone has to bring up the transubstantiation vs. consubstantiation debate.:rolleyes:

That's the only sure way to get Lutherans hot and bothered.

dkel
11-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Real presence (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_presence_of_Christ_in_the_Eucharist) FTW!

lordofthemark
11-03-2014, 02:16 PM
I beleive what we have here is a failure to communicate ;) So to speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiddush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_Eucharist#Jewish_ritual_meal_practic e

cyclingfool
11-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Some of us bless wine without thinking it's anyone's blood ;)

Some of us just drink wine because we like it. #secularismFTW

dkel
11-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Some of us just drink wine because we like it. #secularismFTW

Oh, I like communion. Even a cheap port (ruby or tawny!) is yummy.

DismalScientist
11-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Can you Episcopalians get away with skipping the intinction and taking a hearty gulp from the cup?:rolleyes:

dkel
11-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Can you Episcopalians get away with skipping the intinction and taking a hearty gulp from the cup?:rolleyes:

I don't bother with intinction. The only problem with getting a good gulp is that someone else is holding onto the cup; sometimes you have to wrestle the thing away from them. Makes communion interesting, that's for sure!

Rockford10
11-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Our kids were baptized as babies and took communion at their baptism. Somehow one kid associated communion with coffee hour. He would go up and, when offered the cup, would refuse and say "no coffee." Interestingly, the same kid would throw a temper tantrum at the communion rail when the (Missouri Synod) Lutherans refused to give him communion. He would literally lie on the floor and kick his legs and flail his arms. I'm sure this was just confirmation to the Lutherans that they made the right choice.