PDA

View Full Version : Coffeeneuring 2014 has begun

Steve O
10-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Slightly late on the starting gun: Saturday was the first day. See Chasing Mailboxes blog (http://chasingmailboxes.com/tag/coffeeneuring-2014/) for details.

This is perfect timing for post-NBC and pre-Freezing Saddles.
Also seems like another excuse to arrange a friendly group ride or two.

Emm
10-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Slightly late on the starting gun: Saturday was the first day. See Chasing Mailboxes blog (http://chasingmailboxes.com/tag/coffeeneuring-2014/) for details.

This is perfect timing for post-NBC and pre-Freezing Saddles.
Also seems like another excuse to arrange a friendly group ride or two.

Due to distance (a few are under a mile away) I'll have to combine a grocery trip into some of these, but off the top of my head I can already think of the following local coffee shops that are within 2 miles of my house:
1. Swings
2. St elmos (worst coffee ever so maybe not worth the pain)
3. Starbucks
4. Caboose
5. Grape and bean
6. Starbucks #2
7. Seva
8. Dunkin donuts
9. Buzz bakery
10. Starbucks #3
11. Dunkin donuts #2

...I must live in the most caffeinated neighborhood EVER (del ray). And Google maps tells me there's another 5 or so I'm missing...

dkel
10-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Rule 10: "...your coffeeneuring must occur on planet Earth." Hmph! Screw that. This is obviously a sissy challenge...

Rod Smith
10-05-2014, 10:16 PM
I brew my own coffee and I drink it before I leave my house.

Brünø Moore
10-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Not visiting a coffee shop every weekend day this month…now that's the real challenge for me! Did Big Chair after the WABA unbuilt trails ride, Compass Coffee for the Proteus Sunday coffee ride before Hyattsville CX and work, and already plotting a possible Arboretum "coffeeshop without walls" expedition for when the leaves change a bit more.

I know that Proteus does a weekly Sunday coffee ride into DC every week, and Bikenetic does something similar more irregularly; anyone else know of other regular weekend coffee rides that might work for coffeeneuring credit?

Steve O
10-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Rule 10: "...your coffeeneuring must occur on planet Earth." Hmph! Screw that. This is obviously a sissy challenge...

I have some acquaintances for whom this rule may present a problem - in their heads anyway.

dkel
10-06-2014, 09:57 AM
I have some acquaintances for whom this rule may present a problem - in their heads anyway.

Miles in vacuum should count double, at least.

dbb
10-06-2014, 10:08 AM

Remember to take that old Thermos (the one that no longer works) so you can refill the vacuum!

cyclingfool
10-06-2014, 10:40 AM

Yeah, but there is no air resistance/drag. By the same token, I guess there's no air, and it's one hell of a climb to get there -- around 160,000 meters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit) of vertical. So, maybe you're right...

Which makes me realize the Everesting thread is lame. The real ELITE challenge is achieving low earth orbit elevation/altitude in one day. :cool:

dbb
10-06-2014, 11:09 AM

I suppose you get into the anaerobic zone for your workout almost immediately!

Emm
10-06-2014, 11:16 AM
I wonder if you can get points for accidentally putting your water bottle in your backpack, and your coffee thermos in your water bottle cage

(rough morning today...)

cyclingfool
10-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Watch out for the bad drivers in the vacuum of space. I hear they can really make your blood boil... :rolleyes:

rcannon100
10-06-2014, 11:35 AM
http://blog.hpb.com/storage/alienposter.jpg

In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream for Coffee!

consularrider
10-06-2014, 05:21 PM
My problem is the requirement for photo evidence. Help!

Subby
10-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Successful first trip this past Sunday morning - my 11s and I biked out to Vienna to probably the best coffee shop in the area - Caffe Amouri. We made it fun and took main roads to Cedar Lane and then hopped on the WOD. It was a chilly morning - perfect for a hot beverage at the midpoint of the trip. We took a nice relaxed pace on the way home, staying on the WOD until Great Falls St.. It gave us a good opportunities to shoot the breeze, although one of my guys was nutso after his dopio espresso machiatto or whatever the F he got and P.E.D.Cycled as fast as he could for a few miles.

Big thanks to Liz for clueing me in to that place! Pictured below - trip documentation, bedhead:

mcfarton
10-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Successful first trip this past Sunday morning - my 11s and I biked out to Vienna to probably the best coffee shop in the area - Caffe Amouri. We made it fun and took main roads to Cedar Lane and then hopped on the WOD. It was a chilly morning - perfect for a hot beverage at the midpoint of the trip. We took a nice relaxed pace on the way home, staying on the WOD until Great Falls St.. It gave us a good opportunities to shoot the breeze, although one of my guys was nutso after his dopio espresso machiatto or whatever the F he got and P.E.D.Cycled as fast as he could for a few miles.

Big thanks to Liz for clueing me in to that place! Pictured below - trip documentation, bedhead:
Very cool. Sounds like you had a blast

sent from your mom's house

PeteD
10-10-2014, 06:26 PM
I did add an extra two rules: No repeats from last year, and no publicly traded coffee companies.

Steve O
10-11-2014, 08:37 PM
I did add an extra two rules: No repeats from last year, and no publicly traded coffee companies.

For clarification, PeteD told me those are self-imposed rules that he is applying to himself only. Others need not comply.

Steve O
10-12-2014, 08:01 AM
I plan to be at the Filter Coffeehouse (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Filter+Coffeehouse+and+Espresso+Bar/@38.913705,-77.045059,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!1m6!2m5!1scoffee!3m3!1scoffee!2s Washington,+DC+20036!3s0x89b7b7b827521ae7:0xac84ca 8eb444b13c!3m1!1s0x89b7b7cf5fd85287:0x50edfda4ad0f 796b) near Dupont at about 10 this morning (Sunday) if anyone wants to join.

mcfarton
10-19-2014, 02:36 PM

I saw these three guys out at where the c&o and cct cross. Was going to try to say hi but I had to pee too bad.

Subby
10-20-2014, 09:46 AM
If it was Sunday morning we were either heading in or heading back from a great trip in to Georgetown to visit Baked and Wired. A little chilly for outside but inside was PACKED, so we did what all good cyclists do and sucked it up in the great outdoors.

On Saturday we started a pizzaneuring tradition and headed out to Vienna for a few slices at Church Street. On the way there, Ryan went down HARD on a turn and tore up his leg. Kid popped right back up, waved me off, and kept on truckin'. Love it.

Great weekend all around.

mcfarton
10-21-2014, 06:39 AM
So cool that you can spend your weekend with your boys enjoying a healthy lifestyle

cyclingfool
10-21-2014, 09:12 AM
On Saturday we started a pizzaneuring tradition and headed out to Vienna for a few slices at Church Street. On the way there, Ryan went down HARD on a turn and tore up his leg. Kid popped right back up, waved me off, and kept on truckin'. Love it.

Hardcore. Nice cycling cap, too. :)

Steve O
11-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Cross posted from other threads.

Veteran's Day Coffee Club/Coffeeneuring will be at St. Elmo's in Del Ray (https://www.google.com/maps/place/St.+Elmo%27s+Coffee+Pub/@38.826248,-77.058856,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8ad4e2c19e8d9135)

Those interested in convoying on the WOD may meet at the intersection of the Custis at 7:58. Roll-out at 8:00am

vvill
11-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Those interested in convoying on the WOD may meet at the intersection of the Custis at 7:58. Roll-out at 8:00am

Sounds good - I'm a strong maybe for the convoy meet-up. I still need 2 coffeeneuring trips to finish, and this'll pare it down to just the one next weekend.

KWL
11-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Due to distance (a few are under a mile away) I'll have to combine a grocery trip into some of these, but off the top of my head I can already think of the following local coffee shops that are within 2 miles of my house:
1. Swings
2. St elmos (worst coffee ever so maybe not worth the pain)
3. Starbucks
4. Caboose
5. Grape and bean
6. Starbucks #2
7. Seva
8. Dunkin donuts
9. Buzz bakery
10. Starbucks #3
11. Dunkin donuts #2

...I must live in the most caffeinated neighborhood EVER (del ray). And Google maps tells me there's another 5 or so I'm missing...And in December you will be able to add Emma's, on Hume Avenue near Commonwealth, to the list.

cyclingfool
11-10-2014, 09:52 PM
And in December you will be able to add Emma's, on Hume Avenue near Commonwealth, to the list.

Had no idea. Not a big wine or espresso person, but I like the variety it adds to the businesses, especially up at that end of the Avenue.

KWL
11-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Had no idea. Not a big wine or espresso person, but I like the variety it adds to the businesses, especially up at that end of the Avenue.I'm hoping it prompts the owner of Bill Anthony's former garage on the corner to develop the property. That place as been sitting empty for years.