PDA

View Full Version : Best CaBi app these days?

JustinW
09-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Hello all,

I searched for this topic and did not find anything. Apologies if I missed something already covered...

I have an old app (iFindBikes) I used for CaBi status updates. That app seems to not work now (I've not used it in months). So, what's the best / favorite app to use to check dock statuses and find bikes and all of that CaBi goodness?

TIA!

vvill
09-16-2014, 10:06 AM
I haven't used it myself, but Spotcycle is mentioned on the website http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/stations, and I had a friend use it on my behalf on the weekend - it seemed accurate.

SerialCarpins
09-16-2014, 06:42 PM
I second spotcycle. I used it a bunch and it's always been pretty reliable.

PotomacCyclist
09-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Spotcycle is written by 8D, which is the same company that created the software that runs Capital Bikeshare and many bikeshare systems across the U.S. and in other countries. It's the "official" app for Capital Bikeshare. I've never heard of iFindBikes. (I see that it hasn't been updated in 4 years.)

Just go with Spotcycle.

baiskeli
09-17-2014, 08:26 AM
I think the consensus is to stop finding bikes and start spotting cycles.

dasgeh
09-17-2014, 09:47 AM
I liked WorldBike better, but it stopped working over a year ago (?). Its map made it easier to spot open/empty docks. But SpotCycle is fine and the data is generally good.

baiskeli
11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
FYI I just noticed that Citymapper DC has a pretty nice CaBi bike and dock location function. Touch "bikes" and you get a list of docks and the number of bikes at each dock, with a map and a list of the closest; touch "docks" and you get the same thing only showing the number of open slots at each dock.

chris_s
11-20-2014, 10:52 AM
I've heard RideScount has added a bunch of cool Bikeshare functionality like notifying you when you're about to get dockblocked or reminding you when you're about to go past your 30 minute free window.

http://tech.co/ridescouts-latest-update-aims-reduce-capital-bikeshare-dock-blocking-2013-12