PDA

View Full Version : Lynn/Lee Safety Campaign and Meeting (9/16/14 7:30am)

dasgeh
09-15-2014, 03:57 PM
An FYI and a reminder:

Tomorrow and Wednesday, Arlington County Police will be conducting a pedestrian-bicyclist "safety campaign" during rush hours (approx. 7a - 9a and 4p - 6p). Officers will be addressing motor vehicle violations and pedestrian and cyclist education, and I believe there will be a sign board. I know you are all responsible cyclists, but the next two days may be a good time to be extra responsible.

Tomorrow morning at 7:30am, the BAC will be meeting with representatives of ArlCo, ACPD, VDOT, WABA, and potentially NPS and NPP at the intersection to discuss problems and possible solutions. Even if you can't make the hour-long meeting, having responsible cyclists roll through there in the 7:30a-8a time frame could be especially helpful to those of us trying to illustrate the problems at this intersection. (If you have extra time on your hands, it would be especially helpful to show the difficulty of coming from the Key Bridge and heading West on the Custis.)

Thanks!

Steve O
09-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Tomorrow morning at 7:30am, the BAC will be meeting with representatives of ArlCo, ACPD, VDOT, WABA, and potentially NPS and NPP at the intersection to discuss problems and possible solutions. Even if you can't make the hour-long meeting, having responsible cyclists roll through there in the 7:30a-8a time frame could be especially helpful to those of us trying to illustrate the problems at this intersection. (If you have extra time on your hands, it would be especially helpful to show the difficulty of coming from the Key Bridge and heading West on the Custis.)

Thanks!

I am going to presume that we were unable to convince any of the ACPD officers to actually navigate this intersection by bicycle in advance of the meeting tomorrow, as was suggested at the last BAC. I think we should strongly make that suggestion again. Best would be if they were to do that in plainclothes, of course. I'm happy to loan my CaBi fob for this purpose.

ShawnoftheDread
09-15-2014, 09:40 PM
I noticed this evening they paved the dirt area surrounding the light post on the southeast corner. This box bike rider seemed to find it useful.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/15/6280c59138d1a4bb4773a8d2a4105673.jpg

americancyclo
09-16-2014, 06:40 AM
Gillian explaining the problem
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/16/62dda1c030d101f8c1ae7065981b7b0b.jpg

americancyclo
09-16-2014, 07:24 AM
In the brief 20 minutes I was there, I saw two cars get pulled over on two separate occasions for not yielding to cyclists. One cyclist nearly got run over by two cars in a row.

Rootchopper
09-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Too bad they weren't in publicity mode yesterday. An ACPD officer stood in clear view on Lynn, just north of the crosswalk and watched an SUV make a right on red with no attempt to stop. Had I not been nearly hit by this at least a dozen times this SUV would have hit me. The ACPD officer did absolutely nothing. And you wonder why the chaos continues? To add to the problem, a driver of a Charger blew through the red light at 19th and Lynn, cutting off pedestrians and 2 cyclists (me included). This was 2 blocks from the publicity stunt. It would be great if ACPD actually enforced the traffic laws on a regular basis instead of when the cameras are rolling.

jnva
09-16-2014, 09:38 AM
I rolled through the intersection extra slow this morning. I was impressed with the police presence, only expected one officer but there were several.

dasgeh
09-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks to everyone who came out. I thought the meeting went very well, and it was great to see such a big turnout of people willing to spend some time early on a Tuesday to make this intersection better. Thanks to all the riders who came through (about 500 in the 2 hours I was there) -- it was a great illustration of the problems that various users face daily at that location. Even a few motorists "cooperated" by violating the law and endangering cyclists and pedestrians right in front of the uniformed officers (the ones I saw were pulled over - you have to wonder about those).

I, too, have been frustrated by the pace of change and enforcement at this intersection. But I came away from this morning's meeting very hopeful that we will see real change soon. The foundation has been laid by so many of you who have been working on this intersection for so long. Now, we have some new faces in positions of power, and we are making new connections between decision makers in different sectors of government. My hope is that we can combine this solid foundation and new energy into real solutions soon.

Thanks again.

Steve O
09-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks to everyone who came out. I thought the meeting went very well, and it was great to see such a big turnout of people willing to spend some time early on a Tuesday to make this intersection better. Thanks to all the riders who came through (about 500 in the 2 hours I was there) -- it was a great illustration of the problems that various users face daily at that location. ....

Thanks again.

And an extra big thanks to dasgeh for her leadership. Three cheers!!!

dbb
09-16-2014, 10:54 AM
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/IMG_4950_zps20b44415.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/IMG_4950_zps20b44415.jpg.html)

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/IMG_4953_zps6dc26937.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/IMG_4953_zps6dc26937.jpg.html)
The bike traffic was quite heavy today.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/IMG_4939_zpsfb71ea6d.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/IMG_4939_zpsfb71ea6d.jpg.html)
When I arrived, the counter was at 92. When I left it was pushing 500.

jnva
09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
One day I went through there and I was #666

Steve
09-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Did your bike immediately turn into a car?

cyclingfool
09-16-2014, 11:34 AM

jnva
09-16-2014, 12:17 PM

Pretty accurate, satan doesn't need fenders!

DismalScientist
09-16-2014, 12:25 PM
No one needs fenders.:rolleyes:

Rootchopper
09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
I thought that big group of cyclists was the last group of lost riders from the 50 States Ride.

Greenbelt
09-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Fenders can be helpful if you run over dog poo. Not that that's ever happened to me.

cyclingfool
09-16-2014, 02:44 PM

No one needs umbrellas either, but they make for a much nicer walk when it's raining hard outside.
No one needs air conditioning, but DC is a much more livable place with it.

P.S.-I <3 my Cascadia fenders. :D

Steve
09-17-2014, 06:09 AM
Thanks to all the riders who came through (about 500 in the 2 hours I was there)

When I first read this, I though wow that must be unusually high. But when I rode thru on my way home, around 4, I was more or less my normal number (mid/high 800s to low/mid 900s). Then I got happy to think that it means that the morning rush hour probably regularly sees that many riders! :)

To Rootchopper's post, I completely agree, though on the flip side, when I pulled up to the intersection, a cyclist rode across during a break in the cars illegally as well, right in front of the cop, and the cop simply gave him the "wow, right in front of me?" look. He did nothing. This seemed a bit crazy to me, because he had to stop to wait for a break in the cars, and so the cop is just standing like 30 feet away. Anyways...

I thanked the cop for their participation all day, and for standing on the corner. Any progress is much appreciated in my book.

jnva
09-17-2014, 07:23 AM
There was a collision in the intersection this morning. A car ran into a motorcycle - biker seemed ok. I watched for a minute. I could imagine the driver trying to explain he didn't see the bike. Be careful out there, we are less visible than motorcycles.

dasgeh
09-17-2014, 09:38 AM
There was a collision in the intersection this morning. A car ran into a motorcycle - biker seemed ok. I watched for a minute. I could imagine the driver trying to explain he didn't see the bike. Be careful out there, we are less visible than motorcycles.

Were the police there? The "safety campaign" was supposed to continue today...

baiskeli
09-17-2014, 09:43 AM

I saw one police officer helping. Couldn't tell if he had been there before for the safety campaign though.

I was glad to see the victim wasn't a bicyclist, and was uninjured.

jnva
09-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Yes, just one.

Rootchopper
09-17-2014, 09:54 AM
By not doing anything (in either the car or bike incident) the police officer is sending the message that it is okay run the red light. This is worse than not being there at all.

Kolohe
09-17-2014, 03:11 PM

There were 3 or 4 there sometime before 8 this morning when I rolled through there.