PDA

View Full Version : Beer & Brew Group Ride/Tour

Matt the Peddler
09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
On my long WO&D weekend rides heading West I started to no notice a lot of signs for breweries and pubs along the trail. So I did a little research and came across a genius who actually mapped out all the places along the WO&D (within 1.5 miles) where you can grab a frosty beverage:

http://bikeablebrews.com/

So for the last month I have been contemplating putting together a group ride heading out to Purcellville with some scheduled stops along the way for "refreshments". I would leave from the Caboose in Vienna, but there is no reason why others couldn't organize departures from other locations. And the total ride could vary by people's choice of which "stop" to turn around at. As I started speaking to some of my other cycling friends I realized that there was only a small group who could do 60+ miles and the average pace of those interested varied greatly so I thought the best way for this to really work would be to open it up and make it a larger "group" with various "packs" similarly matched in pace and desired distance.

Was thinking this would make for a great Saturday morning to afternoon ride in October (except for the weekend of the 18th as I'm doing the Best Buddies Challenge Century ride).

Any interest in not only participating but helping to plan scheduled start points and "pit stops"? I think if we gain a big enough group I could make arrangements with some of the breweries for special tastings or deals for cyclists who come in to their establishments that day.

baiskeli
09-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Hell yeah.

(I did a bike ride to a brewery back when Old Dominion was located just off the W&OD. Wobbled home.)

Geoff
09-08-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm in.

I'd be starting near the East Falls Church metro, if anyone wants to start a convoy there.

KLizotte
09-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm in! :D Thanks for organizing.

americancyclo
09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
PeteD mentioned this last ride, too. Sounds like fun!

Phatboing
09-08-2014, 08:26 PM
In! I'll start in the EFC region as well.

dkel
09-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Rockford and I would be up for this, depending on the date. We're also part of the Falls Church club.

baiskeli
09-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Maybe invite the person who created the website for us to enjoy? There's an email address at the bottom.

Also, if it works out, you're welcome to use my backyard trail-accessible bike beer garden at the Bluemont Junction as a staging point.

Sunyata
09-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Ooh! I have done this a couple of times. It is loads of fun!

I highly suggest starting your brew tour at Adroit Theory as they have some very high octane beers (nothing under 8% ABV).

If you guys do it, I may be in, as long as there is not a MTB or CX race the same day! :cool:

Rockford10
09-09-2014, 09:20 AM
I know the guys at Mad Fox and I'm sure we can get a tour. It's, um, pretty early on the ride though. If we start there, we might not get to the next stop.

dkel
09-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Having looked at the bikeablebrews site, I find myself most interested by the breweries, rather than just pubs. Just my opinion, though, so feel free to ignore it.

Rockford10
09-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Out to Lost Rhino, back to Caboose (if open?), through Mad Fox, and end at Rock Bottom or Cap City?

Steve
09-09-2014, 10:24 AM
might as well tack on some more miles down the Holmes Run Trail and end at Port City :).

baiskeli
09-09-2014, 11:00 AM
By my count that's (at least) five beers and about 20 miles.

Sounds about right.

Matt the Peddler
09-09-2014, 11:02 AM
So I would call this "active interest" :D I'll work on a base route with let's say 4 or 5 primary stops. Then we can have sub routes for those electing to take a shorter ride and/or that could have final stops that extend closer to FC and DC for those starting from that area to end at on the ride back.

I'm open to feedback on the following suggested stops:

Caboose Brewing (Vienna) *if open
Lost Rhino Brewing (Ashburn)
Old Ox Brewery (Ashburn)
Crooked Run Brewing (Leesburg)
Adroit Theory Brewing (Purcellville)

Then we can divide up which ones we stop at on the way out vs. the way back. Probably best to have maybe only a single stop on the way out with the rest on the return route as riding 5 or 10 miles a bit tipsy is better than attempting to ride 25 off balance! ;)

dkel
09-09-2014, 11:20 AM
I'm open to feedback on the following suggested stops:

Caboose Brewing (Vienna) *if open

I heard jackhammering coming from inside Caboose Brewing as I rode by today, so I don't know what's going on in there. I've been eager to see what they're up to, so I hope this one in particular can work out for us.

Matt the Peddler
09-09-2014, 02:04 PM
I heard jackhammering coming from inside Caboose Brewing as I rode by today, so I don't know what's going on in there. I've been eager to see what they're up to, so I hope this one in particular can work out for us.

They have had some growler filling events the last few weeks, but I've heard from some of my fellow Vienna locals that they likely won't be open until November.

Matt the Peddler
09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
I also mentioned this idea over the weekend to some of the service guys at Spokes in Vienna when I was picking up my back after the last tune up. They all seemed pretty interested as well. I wonder if we could get some Spoke's support?

culimerc
09-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Caboose isnt open at this time.

And I think the guys who work at Spokes might be in, but your going to have a hard time getting a business to sign on to sponsoring an event that pairs biking and drinking.

Arlingtonrider
09-09-2014, 06:24 PM
In doing your planning, you might want to double check opening times, especially for the first place(s) you plan to visit. Another group doing something similar found that the opening times shown on the websites were sometimes incorrect.

KWL
09-09-2014, 08:33 PM

And I think the guys who work at Spokes might be in, but your going to have a hard time getting a business to sign on to sponsoring an event that pairs biking and drinking.Unless the business is a brewery - http://www.portcitybrewing.com/company/events/2014/8/bikes-beers-with-port-city/

dbb
09-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Has a date been set?

Matt the Peddler
09-10-2014, 10:41 AM

And I think the guys who work at Spokes might be in, but your going to have a hard time getting a business to sign on to sponsoring an event that pairs biking and drinking.

Not sponsorship...support. As in using their parking lot in Vienna as a pre-staging area or something like that.

I'm looking for it to be a fun, somewhat informal event. I personally don't have the desire to attempt to solicit sponsorship or deal with any of the liability issues that would come with formalizing this in anyway. We are just a group of cyclists who agreed to meet up and go for a ride and stop for some beers. Perhaps if we let some of the places we plan on stopping at know we were coming they may offer us some specials, but that's not a solicitation for sponsorship either...just a heads up really that we may be bringing them a lot of business if they would like to offer any group incentives or discounts.

Matt the Peddler
09-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Has a date been set?

Not yet. I'm leaning towards the following potential dates:

October 4th
October 11th
November 8th
November 15th (may be getting too cold by this date)

Open to feedback.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I travel quite a bit for work. I usually have plenty of notice and usually don't travel on the weekends. However, I can't rule out the possibility of a short notice business trip that could pop up. That being said, I definitely would like to take those up who have offered in helping with the planning, so that in the very sad event I am unable to attend, the ride still goes on and plenty of pictures are taken while I silently cry myself to sleep in a far off hotel dreaming of being there.

mstone
09-15-2014, 09:41 AM
I went past lost rhino yesterday for the first time and was underwhelmed. Are they unaware of the W&OD? Not even a bike rack in their vast suburban wasteland of a parking lot. I did not bother stopping or going in.

Old Ox had a sign out on the trail, I wish I'd stopped there instead and will do so next time.

Sunyata
09-16-2014, 08:41 AM
I went past lost rhino yesterday for the first time and was underwhelmed. Are they unaware of the W&OD? Not even a bike rack in their vast suburban wasteland of a parking lot. I did not bother stopping or going in.

Old Ox had a sign out on the trail, I wish I'd stopped there instead and will do so next time.

Old Ox is pretty awesome. They have pretty great beer and they are super bike friendly.

Beltway did not have any bike parking, but they let us bring our bikes inside with us and we just locked them to the stairs. I enjoyed it there, especially since they have quite a few of the other local breweries' beers there, too.

Matt the Peddler
09-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Not yet. I'm leaning towards the following potential dates:

October 4th
October 11th
November 8th
November 15th (may be getting too cold by this date)

Open to feedback.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I travel quite a bit for work. I usually have plenty of notice and usually don't travel on the weekends. However, I can't rule out the possibility of a short notice business trip that could pop up. That being said, I definitely would like to take those up who have offered in helping with the planning, so that in the very sad event I am unable to attend, the ride still goes on and plenty of pictures are taken while I silently cry myself to sleep in a far off hotel dreaming of being there.

I haven't gotten any feedback so right now I'm leaning heavily towards November 15th due to an intense work travel schedule I have over the next month. Any objections? I'm completely open to earlier dates as long as some other folks take the lead on the planning as it is highly likely I may not be able to attend.

americancyclo
09-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Sundays work way better for me. What time are you thinking?

Matt the Peddler
09-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Sunday is fine. I was thinking a post lunch ride would work for beers. 1 or 2pm departure from Vienna? Figure 30 minute earlier departure for the folks looking to depart from East Falls Church Metro.

dkel
09-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Sundays only work for me if it's about 1:00 or later (sounds like that's what you're thinking anyway). Saturdays are usually fine.