PDA

View Full Version : Can you say, "excited"?

jrenaut
05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Tomorrow I'm doing my first commute on my own bike. I've been commuting on Capital Bikeshare since November, and it's completely changed how I feel both about commuting and about getting around the city. So now I have a brand new Giant Defy 3 hanging from the ceiling the hallway (When I have it securely up there, I'll post some pictures of how I got it totally out of the way in a 1200 sq ft condo), and I'm ready to go to work NOW.

It's super awesome that the high tomorrow is supposed to be 95 F.

SteveTheTech
05-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Good Luck, and congrats.

Stay safe out there and enjoy. :)

DismalScientist
05-31-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm excited its going to be 95 F too. ;)

Enjoy.

CCrew
05-31-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm excited its going to be 95 F too. ;)

Enjoy.

Oh, you guys are just not right :)

acc
05-31-2011, 07:28 AM
So now I have a brand new Giant Defy 3 hanging from the ceiling the hallway (When I have it securely up there, I'll post some pictures of how I got it totally out of the way in a 1200 sq ft condo), and I'm ready to go to work NOW.

It's super awesome that the high tomorrow is supposed to be 95 F.[/QUOTE]

Yea! What a great adventure, a terrific bike, and fantastic weather. I hope we hear about your experiences as you go along. That reminds me to put my water bottles back in the freezer. Congratulations!

[Note to self, it's the bike that belongs on the ceiling. Makes so much more sense now.]

Roll on,
ann

brendan
05-31-2011, 07:56 AM
So now I have a brand new Giant Defy 3 hanging from the ceiling the hallway...It's super awesome that the high tomorrow is supposed to be 95 F.

I've heard great things about the Giant Defys - you get a better bike for the same money vs. some of the bigger name brands, from a company that might have actually manufactured the bike for the bigger name brands! Having had those recommended to me, but not yet willing to pay up for one, I picked up a used '03 Giant OCR 1: my understanding is that the OCR is the forerunner of the Defy. This is in prep for a very long ride in June. Took it out on it's maiden voyage of a 68 miler in Burlington, NJ last Sunday and did a 120 miler yesterday (dc though Annapolis and back again ... the long way). Still need to futz with seat/handlebar adjustments a bit more, but overall comfortable and light. This being my first road bike, it being light made yesterday's hill climbs in the heat almost tolerable - we were riding by BWI around the time it hit 98. Ugh. :)

Brendan

jrenaut
05-31-2011, 08:18 AM
First ride in was great. I have to rethink all the lights I push for, though. On the Bikeshare bike, I knew which ones I could get and which ones I couldn't. Now there are lights I never could have made before that aren't that hard.

I picked the Giant not exactly by default, but some circumstances contributed to the choice. I wanted to get it from The Bike Rack at 14th and Q NW - they were recommended by a serious cyclist friend, and every time I've been in they've been really helpful and friendly. Plus they offer (limited) free lifetime maintenance on the bike, and they're on my way to work. They carry Scott and Giant, plus some other stuff that's way out of my price range. And they apparently have inventory issues with Scott, and couldn't get the Scott that's more or less comparable to the Giant. But the Giant fits well, and now that I'm getting used to drop bars for the first time, it's great to ride.

I'll post some pictures of the ceiling mount soon.

Greenbelt
05-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Isn't it awesome to be excited about commuting? I was up early today -- couldn't wait to get out for my morning ride.

Dirt
05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Isn't it awesome to be excited about commuting? I was up early today -- couldn't wait to get out for my morning ride.

It is really funny, but even after many years of commuting I still get excited to ride to work every day. I'm not always happy with the hour that I have to get up every morning. My wife makes fun of me because I'm stoked to ride regardless of weather and have the brainless tendency to announce it. "Cool! It's raining/snowing/100 (or 0) degrees outside and I get to ride."

Happy that you're able to do your commute with your own bike. It makes it even more fun!

PEte

05-31-2011, 12:44 PM
It's super awesome that the high tomorrow is supposed to be 95 F.

That's about 30 degrees too warm.

jrenaut
05-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Should have stepped up to the Defy 1 with the air conditioning option. It's hot out there today.

brendan
05-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Should have stepped up to the Defy 1 with the air conditioning option. It's hot out there today.

Learned yesterday that stopping in the heat is worse than creating your own air conditioning by moving along at a moderate pace...

Brendan

Riley Casey
05-31-2011, 07:36 PM
I was excited to ride my 30 year old Raliegh Tourist three speed this weekend. Does that count?

It is genuinely exciting to discover another convert to the biking way. Soon you'll be biking to the store and to visit friends and after not too long you will consider cars and buses a nuisance and a distraction from your time on your bike. Congrats!

jrenaut
06-01-2011, 07:37 AM
The car is for carrying things that are too heavy to go in my backpack on the bike. Mostly the only time it moves is to switch sides of the road for street cleaning.

jrenaut
06-01-2011, 10:36 AM
And since I'm working at home today, I just biked to the grocery store instead of walking to Target to get a few things.

Mark Blacknell
06-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Jrenaut, hearing that you've gone from CaBi to bike commuting to utility biking warms my black little heart. Rock on.

jrenaut
06-01-2011, 07:56 PM
To be fair, for the most part I'm all about the most efficient/convenient method of transportation. Often walking is easiest. Sometimes it's the bus, occasionally it's the Metro, regrettably it's sometimes the car. But the more I bike, the more often it looks like biking is the most efficient/convenient. CaBi was definitely my gateway drug, though. That and having a boss with 10 bikes in his basement who rides one of them to work every day.

Joe Chapline
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
To be fair, for the most part I'm all about the most efficient/convenient method of transportation. Often walking is easiest. Sometimes it's the bus, occasionally it's the Metro, regrettably it's sometimes the car. But the more I bike, the more often it looks like biking is the most efficient/convenient. CaBi was definitely my gateway drug, though. That and having a boss with 10 bikes in his basement who rides one of them to work every day.

I'm with you on that, jrenaut. In the U.S., most adults drive almost everywhere they go, but not because everyone actually loves cars or driving. They drive because they think that's their best option to get where they need or want to go. In countries with much higher percentages of bike trips, it's not because everyone loves bikes or cycling. It's because more people see cycling as the best option for more trips.

jrenaut
06-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Oops. I "got lost" on my ride home today and went 6.6 miles instead of three or so. How silly of me.

acc
06-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Bike commuting, a gateway drug... Sounds like it is working out great!

ann

Mark Blacknell
06-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Bike commuting, a gateway drug... Sounds like it is working out great!

ann

Definitely (http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/6/2/2204035/its-all-your-fault-all-of-you#68752930).

Greenbelt
06-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Oops. I "got lost" on my ride home today and went 6.6 miles instead of three or so. How silly of me.

I have the same problem. I keep finding longer routes. Dang!