PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous trip to bike at Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania Nat'l Military Park VA

SideTrackTraveller
05-28-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm heading down there from DC early tomorrow morning to visit these national parks preserving important pieces of Civil War history, including biking on the park roads where allowed. Seems like a quiet, non-motorized way to contemplate what happened there. More info at nps.gov. I plan to beat the heat by starting early, taking my time there, soaking in VA countryside and charm, and potentially stopping at Mt Vernon (Washington's home, south of Alexandria on the Potomac) on the way back for their special evening event for Memorial Day, 6-9 p.m. There is a cost for the latter, and probably for park entrance (unless you have a parks pass, which I do). If interested, email guil0021@tc.umn.edu. If not interested an all day trip, maybe meet for just the biking part?

JimF22003
05-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Have fun! About a year ago I followed a cue sheet that I got on the Potomac Pedalers site that went through Fredricksburg, The Wilderness, Chancellorsville etc. Pretty amazing to cover the same amount of ground in an afternoon on a bike that we fought over for 5 years in that terrible conflict.