PDA

View Full Version : Biking to Swim?

Timur
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I am pretty new to this whole biking thing (about two weeks since I bought my Schwinn World from the wonderful guys at the Courthouse flea market). I have explored several trails already and ventured out about 10-12 miles from Clarendon/Courthouse.

My question is, is there a park/area/lake in the 10-15 mile radius of DC that would be easy to get to on a bike and where one could also swim? Seems like a great summer day thing to do - bike 10 miles, swim for a bit, rest, and bike back.

Thank you!

Tim Kelley
05-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Hains Point Park in DC has a pool, and is a great place to get some laps in on the bike afterwards.

The Washington Lee High School Pool in Arlington is right off the Custis Trail with connectivity to the W&OD or Mt. Vernon trail.

And if you get in a short run afterwards, that would make for some nice little triathlon training!

DaveK
05-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Hains Point Park in DC has a pool, and is a great place to get some laps in on the bike afterwards.

The Washington Lee High School Pool in Arlington is right off the Custis Trail with connectivity to the W&OD or Mt. Vernon trail.

And if you get in a short run afterwards, that would make for some nice little triathlon training!

Eastern Market in DC has a public indoor pool - on a weekend you can also hit the market for all kinds of lunch options. Nice easy ride from Arlington also that takes you down the National Mall.

baiskeli
05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Cameron Run Regional Park is on the Holmes Run bike trail in Alexandria, though it's more of a water park full of kids than a real pool.

Upton Hill Regional Park is a short, steep climb from the W&OD, and does have a traditional adult pool with swimming lanes along with the kid stuff.

I see a future triathlete being born.

Greenbelt
05-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Linson pool in College Park is right off the NE branch trail.