PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Surly Cross Check?

HillCycle
05-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Hello, I've decided to upgrade from my current bike, an entry level hybrid to something a little faster. I'd keep the old bike for commuting and use the new bike for longer/faster rides. I've been primarily focused on a Trek 1 or 2, Giant Defy Series, etc. but am starting to get interested in the Surly Cross Check.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!

CCrew
05-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Good bike, hard to go wrong with it.. Cross bikes also make awesome commuters BTW.

RideTheWomble
05-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Tough as nails, you can put almost any tire on it, it has eyelets for all the racks and fenders you need, etc. It's a great bike. It's a good value, too.

skreaminquadz
05-18-2011, 07:16 AM
I've had my CC for about 2 years and have really enjoyed it. It makes a great commuter, as CCrew mentioned, and good touring bike. It's a bit on the heavy side but I'm not worried about it on this bike. It's a very smooth ride and I really like the flexibility to mount just about any width tire on it that I can get my hands on. Two thumbs up from me!

Brock
05-18-2011, 08:11 AM
I've got their (very similar) touring bike, the Long Haul Trucker, and love it. My only complaint is the bar-end shifters that both models come with standard. I occasionally bump into them with my knees when mounting/dismounting at stop lights, or bump them into things when leaning the bike against a rack to lock up. I think I'm going to stick with regular shifters in the future, but other than that, big fan.

DaveK
05-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I've got their (very similar) touring bike, the Long Haul Trucker, and love it. My only complaint is the bar-end shifters that both models come with standard. I occasionally bump into them with my knees when mounting/dismounting at stop lights, or bump them into things when leaning the bike against a rack to lock up. I think I'm going to stick with regular shifters in the future, but other than that, big fan.

That's why my CC is under the knife right now getting new integrated shifters. If I ever finish it (sorry honey, I'll give the living room back soon).

The CC is a Swiss Army knife of bikes, you can do anything with it. It'll be faster than your entry-level hybrid but every time I get on my road bike from the CC I feel like I've strapped on rocket boosters. I look at it as improving my climbing skills. If you are looking for something to go on longer, faster rides I would keep looking at road bikes unless "longer and faster" includes places like the C&O towpath. You'll be happier on the road with a road bike.

eminva
05-18-2011, 09:36 AM
All good advice, and make sure you have the sales staff in the bike shop check the fit and go for a test ride on all the finalists.

You might also seek the advice of the sales staff -- when I bought my last bike, I made a list of what I needed the bike for. I'd give that to the salesperson as well as my budget. I never specified what type of bike I was looking for. Various shops had me try everything from townie type bikes to touring bikes to road bikes. It helped the decision making process, made me consider some things I hadn't thought of and was fun to boot.

Good luck.

Liz

HillCycle
05-18-2011, 04:55 PM
This is great. Thanks for the advice everyone. @Brock, I was concerned about the shifters as well. I was thinking about upgrading from the standard Tiagra to potentially 105s.

Dirt
05-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I'll add to the chorus here. In general, Surly makes some quite amazing bikes at reasonable prices. They are not fancy. They are not light. They will likely survive the apocalypse. (Please don't let the world ending this Saturday night diminish my love of all things Surly.) I've owned 7 Surlys over the years, including a cross check. I love them.

DaveK
05-19-2011, 12:13 PM
(Please don't let the world ending this Saturday night diminish my love of all things Surly.)

In heaven there will be Cross Checks. Satan rides carbon.

Dirt
05-19-2011, 01:15 PM
In heaven there will be Cross Checks. Satan rides carbon.

Hahaha.... I guess that has me firmly planted in limbo. I love steel, ti, aluminum, scandium, carbon and bamboo. I've ridden and enjoyed them all. I currently own each except for bamboo. I need to fix that.

OneEighth
05-19-2011, 01:23 PM
You realize that acquiring a bamboo bike puts you at risk for endless panda-inflicted purgatory beginning very early on Sunday...

DaveK
05-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Hahaha.... I guess that has me firmly planted in limbo. I love steel, ti, aluminum, scandium, carbon and bamboo. I've ridden and enjoyed them all. I currently own each except for bamboo. I need to fix that. There's plenty of carbon in my house, but I'm just saying, if the Devil took one less car to his fiddle duel he'd show up on a carbon bike.

Mark Blacknell
05-19-2011, 05:41 PM
You realize that acquiring a bamboo bike puts you at risk for endless panda-inflicted purgatory beginning very early on Sunday...

That and a splinter in the @ss . . .

~

If anyone reading this would like to sell me a 58cm Traveler's Check for cheap . . .

JimF22003
05-20-2011, 05:07 AM
There's plenty of carbon in my house, but I'm just saying, if the Devil took one less car to his fiddle duel he'd show up on a carbon bike.

Hmm, he'd probably be playing one of these carbon fiber violins: http://www.luisandclark.com/shop/violin/
http://www.luisandclark.com/shop/images/17

brendan
05-20-2011, 07:19 AM
If anyone reading this would like to sell me a 58cm Traveler's Check for cheap . . .

...for cheap! ha! :)

They are oh so pretty. And oh so versatile...

Brendan

invisiblehand
05-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Hello, I've decided to upgrade from my current bike, an entry level hybrid to something a little faster. I'd keep the old bike for commuting and use the new bike for longer/faster rides. I've been primarily focused on a Trek 1 or 2, Giant Defy Series, etc. but am starting to get interested in the Surly Cross Check.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!

Are you getting Surly's build or building one up yourself?

In short, the Surly Crosscheck or Long Haul Trucker are better do-it-all bikes than go fast bikes. There are things in-between such as randonneuring which a "fat tire" or old-fashioned sport-touring road bike would be a better fit than a "go-fast" bike.

HillCycle
05-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I was leaning toward building one up myself. I wanted slightly better components then the stock CrossCheck build.

StopMeansStop
05-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Anyone know of a local dealer? I'm sick of this hybrid

JimF22003
05-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I've seen some Surly's at the Spokes in Vienna. I don't know if they have them in stock, but I know they can order them.

eminva
05-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I believe City Bikes also carries them.

Liz

CCrew
05-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Anyone know of a local dealer? I'm sick of this hybrid

FYI, almost any bike shop can order a Surly. Surly (and Salsa) are made by QBP, which almost every bike shop in the US deals with for parts.

As JimF22003 said though, I've seen built Surly's in Spokes in Vienna and also the store in Ashburn.

acc
05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, Spokes in Vienna had a Surly in the outside rack last week.:)

ann

SteveTheTech
05-29-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a road bike and want to go for something I can drive on the streets and around town a little more, I'm personally looking at going CX for a more everyday rider.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/images/fantomcross_pro_rival_black_600.jpg
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_pro_rival.htm

This one tends to be a semi controversial brand but the components cannot be beat for the price. Having purchased two bikes this year in the entryish level I would much rather buy blind but educated online.

Happy shopping,

CCrew
05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
This one tends to be a semi controversial brand but the components cannot be beat for the price. Having purchased two bikes this year in the entryish level I would much rather buy blind but educated online.

Yeah.. They have a tendency to bring out the bicycle wars for sure. I will say that I have one of their bikes sitting here, picked off CL for next to nothing, and it is certainly at the low end of the spectrum. I'd be hard pressed to buy one at full price from them..

Let me add that I picked up my Fuji Cross Pro (full Ultegra) from Performance for less than the price of the Fantom you posted, plus got 10% back in points and free service so there's an incentive if you're not in a rush to hold for the best price - there's deals out there if you don't absolutely positively have to have it today. .

OneEighth
05-30-2011, 07:50 AM
@ SteveTheTech - what size frame are you looking for in your cx bike? I have a 54cm Redline Conquest Pro that I built up with parts off my 2005 road bike but no longer ride. Dura Ace STI's and front and rear derailleurs, FSA crankset, Mavic Kysrium SL wheels, Thomson stem and seat post, FSA carbon handlebar, Ultegra rear cassette.
I'm 6' and was able to fit, though it was quite snug.
If you are interested, let me know. I've got three and a half bikes at the moment and I've been given to understand that's one and a half too many...

SteveTheTech
05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah.. They have a tendency to bring out the bicycle wars for sure. I will say that I have one of their bikes sitting here, picked off CL for next to nothing, and it is certainly at the low end of the spectrum. I'd be hard pressed to buy one at full price from them..

Let me add that I picked up my Fuji Cross Pro (full Ultegra) from Performance for less than the price of the Fantom you posted, plus got 10% back in points and free service so there's an incentive if you're not in a rush to hold for the best price - there's deals out there if you don't absolutely positively have to have it today. .

I kind of feel like opinions like that have given them a negative stigma, although I am guilty of having that. I have an old Specialized MTB outside that partially soured my impression of them but I would consider another in the future. I would be a little hesitant to buy a commuter sight unseen, but I'd take a gamble for a wicked deal. The Fuji Cross Pro retailed for about $600 more than the bikesdirect , although still considered "entry level" by hard core bike folks, I tend to be rough on my bikes and would hate to break something on a really expensive bike and having blown the majority of my budget on a name on a frame. If you can score a wicked deal that might be the way to go but I am not patient enough to wait for a sale of that sort, or decisive enough to make a decision on the fly like that.
I find this discussion very interesting. :)

@ SteveTheTech - what size frame are you looking for in your cx bike? I have a 54cm Redline Conquest Pro that I built up with parts off my 2005 road bike but no longer ride.
If you are interested, let me know....

I'm the same size and my current road frame is 61cm. I tried several between 59-61 and I prefer a slightly longer reach for longer rides but that might just be me. It was a gamble and I find a bit of a reach fairly comfortable on longer rides. I'd probably go a little smaller for a cx maybe 59.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/images/smilies/naughty.gif ohhh now I had not thought of actually doing that....until now.....If you wanna part with your parts I'd give them a good home. We need to chat...after I chat with the mrs...won't make that mistake again lol.

I think we are thinking different things about what's coming next.
(She wants a comotion tandem)

CCrew
05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
I kind of feel like opinions like that have given them a negative stigma, although I am guilty of having that.

Err, I dunno. The BD bike I have sitting here pretty much justifies the negative stigma. It's a "Mirage Sport" and while I only paid $160 for it pretty much new off CL they were retailing it for close to $700 at the time. I'd have been really pissed at myself had I paid that much for it. Paint that falls off if you look at it crooked, lots of one off parts, heavy as all sin. It's a 48cm bike that I bought as a "starter" for getting my wife road biking. She quickly graduated to a nice Trek and she won't so much as look at the BD bike now. We just keep it around if my daughter or my sons GF want to ride since they're both petite enough to fit it.

I think part of what's given the BD bikes such a rep is that the owner shilled them unmercifully for a long time on places like Bike Forums, and has made some outlandish claims that didn't stand up. the Fantom for instance he claimed was the same as the Fuji Crosses, but yet didn't have the same geometry nor the diamond down tube the Fuji's did. Stuff like that sours a lot of people pretty quickly. What does it for me personally is the totally overinflated MSRP's. One company owns and sells the line, it's not like the MSRP's are secret. But as a result it's not uncommon to see BD bikes on CL referencing the MSRP yet selling for more than you can buy them from BD. That original sleight of hand just breeds more.

All of that said, when you get to the upper ends of their lines, some of the TI and Carbon bikes are great deals with good groupsets on them, so like anything else it's a caveat emptor I guess.

One Eighth, that Redline you have doesn't have disc tabs does it? I know the Conquest Classic does... I'd love to rock a disc brake cyclocross frame. Still kick myself for not having bought a Lemond Poprad Disc when they killed the line. Hoping to see some better ones appear now that UCI dropped the disc restrictions.

StopMeansStop
05-30-2011, 09:00 PM
thanks form the spokes tip. 1150 is the price. Does that sound about right? I'm wary of some of the bike shops around here.

SteveTheTech
05-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Err, I dunno. The BD bike I have sitting here pretty much justifies the negative stigma. It's a "Mirage Sport" and while I only paid $160 for it pretty much new off CL they were retailing it for close to $700 at the time..

That sounds a little too good to be true for something that was either slightly used or barely used. To play devils advocate for a minute. The components on most of their bikes alone cost more than the total bike. The bike you have sitting there might be just a pile or crap...but hey for such a small fraction of the original price...not a bad gamble by some standards, I'm not a big fan of CL bikes, I tend to be a little too ocd about maintenance and usage to trust it. That is basically how I ended up at BD. If you are not looking to spend more than a grand on a first bike and are handy enough to build and adjust it should be given more of a look, is all I'm saying. I'm not that keen on LBS service or sales so buying online was a pro in my book, I bought it Sunday and was riding it Wednesday. Which is fine by me, I bought a couch this weekend in person and won't see it for 2 months.

I am a forum moderator at a large car enthusiast forum so I look at company reps using a forum for shameless self promotion a little differently. Since the product has received such a bum wrap from many several reasons, having a company rep to answer most threads either pro or con is a step you see from many online based companies now (it works well with younger generations). Most people take to the internet to complain about things (I see it in the car forums all the time) Frame geometry is critical but it seems that when they compare one of their bikes to a name brand they are talking about components mostly. I'm not saying it's the best, in my case I think I saved about 50% for my first road bike.

/thread jack
cheers :)

CCrew
05-31-2011, 04:30 AM
thanks form the spokes tip. 1150 is the price. Does that sound about right? I'm wary of some of the bike shops around here.

It's a touch on the high side. Online pricing runs $1000 to $1100 and if you shop right you pay no tax and get free shipping. You just have to be prepared to dial the bike in when you get it or pay a shop to do it which may negate any savings.

Spokes isn't a bad shop, one in Vienna is especially good in my experience.

CCrew
05-31-2011, 04:40 AM
Frame geometry is critical but it seems that when they compare one of their bikes to a name brand they are talking about components mostly.

Oh, no "mostly" about it. BD's owner claimed it was the same bike, period. That type of thing is part of how they've gotten the bum rap that they have. Funniest part about it is that they really haven't gotten the reputation for the bikes themselves, just their marketing and business ethics.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the service aspect though. None of mine have ever been back to a shop after purchase.

SteveTheTech
05-31-2011, 06:42 AM
Now crap marketing is just crap marketing...I feel the same way about Hyundais product and marketing. It seems like you get 1 complaint from BD, which they will typically send you whatever you where missing and that is it.... Like buying a Mazda you have a lower overall price but it is created by cuts somewhere.

OneEighth
05-31-2011, 06:55 AM
@CCrew - No disc tabs on the Redline. I've got a set of black Frog Legs on there with BBB pads.

DaveK
05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
@CCrew - No disc tabs on the Redline. I've got a set of black Frog Legs on there with BBB pads.

I don't need another bike, I don't need another bike....

...what are you asking for it?

StopMeansStop
05-31-2011, 10:25 AM
It's a touch on the high side. Online pricing runs $1000 to $1100 and if you shop right you pay no tax and get free shipping. You just have to be prepared to dial the bike in when you get it or pay a shop to do it which may negate any savings.

Spokes isn't a bad shop, one in Vienna is especially good in my experience.

I called REI and they said they can order it for me and I get the 10% dividend as well. I'll see if Spokes is willing to match.

CCrew
05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't need another bike, I don't need another bike....

...what are you asking for it?

You're trying to convince yourself around fellow addicts.. N+1 baby.. :)

Now you know why I have 14 in the garage.....

OneEighth
05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I've always found "need" to be very subjective...
DaveK, I thought we ought to hop this off the thread. Sent you a message.

Dirt
05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I've always found "need" to be very subjective....
I can stop buying bikes any time I want. *Reflexively scratching my track(bike) marks.*

Pete

Editor's note: He is not telling the truth. I suspect he'll have a new bike on the road later this week pending arrival of some wheel parts.

DaveK
05-31-2011, 01:02 PM
You're trying to convince yourself around fellow addicts.. N+1 baby.. :)

Now you know why I have 14 in the garage.....

My limit has always been S-1... that seems to exert a much stronger influence for me. ;)

SteveTheTech
05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
I can stop buying bikes any time I want. *Reflexively scratching my track(bike) marks.*.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/images/smilies/rotfl.gif

Why do all these hobbies end up the same way...I wonder if this one can beat my tool collection. Bwahahaha

Certifried
06-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Hahaha.... I guess that has me firmly planted in limbo. I love steel, ti, aluminum, scandium, carbon and bamboo. I've ridden and enjoyed them all. I currently own each except for bamboo. I need to fix that.

Damn you, Dirt! I was going through your Flickr shots and saw the bamboo frame.... now I can't get it out of my mind that I need one. I'm bamboozled!

vvill
06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I can stop buying bikes any time I want. *Reflexively scratching my track(bike) marks.*

Yeah I've bought 2 new ones in last 12 months and I'm already looking online at titanium CX bikes... although I am promising myself this could be a "do-it-all" bike.

Dirt
06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Bikes make me happy. :D What can I say?

KelOnWheels
06-06-2012, 04:11 PM
There was a sweet-looking Long Haul Trucker parked on C St. when I went out at lunchtime :) I jelly.

Certifried
06-06-2012, 04:13 PM
There was a sweet-looking Long Haul Trucker parked on C St. when I went out at lunchtime :) I jelly.

Was it bamboo?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

KelOnWheels
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Was it bamboo?

Don't think so. I didn't see any guard pandas.

Dirt
06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I really like the new Disc Trucker. Disc brakes are pretty nice to have on a bike that can carry lots of stuff.

I will also put in a vote for how wonderful my Surly Troll is. It is designed as a 26"-wheeled MTB touring bike and is based on the 1x1 geometry. They added special dropouts with fittings and braze-ons for racks, fenders and Surly's trailer. Mine is built up with 700c wheels, 40mm tires and full fenders. It rides like a dream.

creadinger
07-23-2012, 11:18 AM
I think I'm coming to realize that my 61cm Fuji cross bike is too small for me. A few miles on it and I have significant left knee pain, whereas after riding my custom touring bike for 100 miles my joints still feel like I'm riding a cloud. The seat is already jacked WAY up and I just moved it back a smidge yesterday. The knee still hurt a bit this morning. I'm not sure how much higher the seat post can safely go.

I saw that for standard size offerings the Surly LHT is the only one that comes with a 64cm option. Are there any tall people that can recommend it? While I realize that Surly's are highly regarded, this bike would mostly be used for commuting and relatively short trips (<20 miles) around the area.

Also, I'd likely just get the frame and have my LBS transfer at least some of my components from my Fuji for me. I'm assuming they won't have a 64cm frame in stock so how would I do a test ride on something that I'm not 100% sure will solve my problem?

creadinger
07-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Posting again so this thread moves back up to the top and that maybe will someone will pay attention to my post directly above....;)

Today was a perfect example of why I think I may need bike. One that fits me. After two tough days commuting on my Fuji, my left knee hurt quite a bit. It's a hilly commute with lots of stoplights and stop signs, so there's a lot of opportunity for hurting knees. Anyway, I had today off and had planned a 120mile route, but because of my knee I thought about cutting it short. The Knee didn't feel great as I started out, but once I got going on the W&OD past Vienna I felt better and better. By the time I got to Purcellville I felt great. Good enough to tackle those hills over by Taylorstown and Stumptown for the first time. It was just amazing to feel that riding a good bike made my knee feel actually better than not riding at all! It was a great feeling.

Jason
08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Back to the Cross Check. Whats with the Bar End Shifters?!?!?! I know tourers like them because they need less adjustment, but seriously, I would love that bike if it wasnt for those.

ShawnoftheDread
08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Back to the Cross Check. Whats with the Bar End Shifters?!?!?! I know tourers like them because they need less adjustment, but seriously, I would love that bike if it wasnt for those.

I like the bar end shifters, but I don't like how the cables of Surley's shifters route outside of the bars instead of through the bars like most. It seems like you'd snag the cables whenever you moved your hands along the drops.

TwoWheelsDC
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Reason numero uno I didn't go with a CrossCheck. Went with a Bianchi Volpe instead. The Bianchi came with STI shifters and was the same price as a CC with barcons, so I don't think it's a cost-cutting issue...and I certainly can't imagine that brifters would be preferable in cyclocross racing (even if the CC is only nominally a CX bike), so I'm also a bit mystified by Surly's choice (putting barcons on an LHT makes sense though). But CCs are extremely popular, so I guess there's not much reason for them to change it.

DismalScientist
08-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I like the bar end shifters, but I don't like how the cables of Surley's shifters route outside of the bars instead of through the bars like most. It seems like you'd snag the cables whenever you moved your hands along the drops.

It looks to me that Surly has standard cable routing for bar ends. You can adjust the amount of the housing that is under the tape. I've never had problems with snagging my hands, but I generally don't use the drops when riding.

Tourers prefer bar-ends for the mechanical simplicity, not difference in the need to make adjustments. Bar ends do, however, require moving hands more to shift than do brifters. Also, they are cheaper. It's all a matter of preference.

DaveK
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Reason numero uno I didn't go with a CrossCheck. Went with a Bianchi Volpe instead. The Bianchi came with STI shifters and was the same price as a CC with barcons, so I don't think it's a cost-cutting issue...and I certainly can't imagine that brifters would be preferable in cyclocross racing (even if the CC is only nominally a CX bike), so I'm also a bit mystified by Surly's choice (putting barcons on an LHT makes sense though). But CCs are extremely popular, so I guess there's not much reason for them to change it.

I can't remember if I replied earlier in this thread but I put STI levers on my old Cross Check. If it weren't that the geometry of that frame just didn't fit me well, I'd still have it. I have a CAADX now which fits much better but doesn't ride nearly as smooth as the CC. I also don't get the approving comments from coworkers and friends on the CAAD like I did with the CC. Actually, after I sold the CC I got a lot of "where's the green bike? I liked that one" from people in the office.

Jason
08-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I have a feeling that most people who ride a CC or LHT dont actually do any "touring" but instead ride around their town for the most part. As a result, I feel 90% of the CC and LHT owners would be better served by the brifters anyway.

mstone
08-08-2012, 02:54 PM
I have a feeling that most people who ride a CC or LHT dont actually do any "touring" but instead ride around their town for the most part. As a result, I feel 90% of the CC and LHT owners would be better served by the brifters anyway.

So would 99% of tourers; unless you're touring internationally in third world countries, it's pretty hard to screw up an sti to the point that you can't limp to a place that visa and mastercard can't bail you out. It's more a matter of custom than necessity.

OneEighth
08-08-2012, 03:12 PM
My Surly Steamroller never gives me any gear-related problems.

jopamora
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM

I ended up with the Motobecane CXX because of cost, not crazily located shifters.

dbb
08-08-2012, 03:55 PM
My Surly Steamroller never gives me any gear-related problems.

No gloating, thank you.

OneEighth
08-08-2012, 05:13 PM
No gloating, thank you.
Don't worry---a very nice guy with a couple of years (?) and definitely a couple of gears on me (not to mention the lovely disk rear wheel and the aerobars) took my lunch money this morning at Hains.
It was fun.

dbb
08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Don't worry---a very nice guy with a couple of years (?) and definitely a couple of gears on me (not to mention the lovely disk rear wheel and the aerobars) took my lunch money this morning at Hains.
It was fun.

All the gears in the world wouldn't help me take you. I'd have to tie a cinderblock to your bike to act as a sea anchor. :)

DismalScientist
08-09-2012, 05:33 AM
So would 99% of tourers; unless you're touring internationally in third world countries, it's pretty hard to screw up an sti to the point that you can't limp to a place that visa and mastercard can't bail you out. It's more a matter of custom than necessity.

Apparently it is time for me to ascend my retrogrouch podium and issue the following rant:

Brifters don't offer any substantial benefit to anyone on a road bike that is not a) racing or b) riding in rough terrain such as city commuting or cyclocross. You can dial into a gear just as effectively with any normal indexed lever. Brifters weigh more, are mechanically complex, and cost more. If you can't shift safely moving you hands from the hoods when riding on smooth surfaces, you probably constitute a danger to the general public. The same is true for city riding.

Your bike should be lugged steel.

Your bike should be a couple inches larger than what a fitter says it should be.

Credit card bike tourists are pansies.

Canvas is a better tent material than nylon because it smells nicer.

/End Rant.:rolleyes:

mstone
08-09-2012, 07:29 AM
If you only tour on smooth surfaces, I can't help but wonder if the loop around your driveway gets old, and if you ever yearn to go a bit further. :D

Back in the day I used friction shifters on the down tube. It worked, but brifters are just so immensely more convenient that I use the gears a lot more--which my knees really appreciate. On the other hand there's the weight argument (on a steel loaded tourer you're ready going to notice the weight of the shifter?) the complexity argument (of course it's more complex--it does more; if you want simple I've got a balance bike that's right up your alley) and the cost argument (this one holds water, but few people admit that they're going with bar end shifters because they're too cheap to pop for brifters).

Jason
08-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Umm, dont most of us by definition ride in the city or city-like area?

creadinger
08-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Credit card bike tourists are pansies./End Rant.:rolleyes:

Because traveling sans money is so much more hip and gnarly than actually enjoying your trip.

Retrogrouches are "retro" because they died out thankfully.

KelOnWheels
08-09-2012, 08:08 AM
riding in rough terrain such as city commuting or cyclocross

Sometimes these are the same thing. ;)

eminva
08-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Why? Don't get me wrong, I like camping, but just wondering.

Canvas . . . ugh, I can still smell those old tents from the scout days.

Liz

Dirt
08-09-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm planning a 370-mile, 2-day, fixie pansy tour for this fall. Any other pansies that want to join me are welcome. Oh yeah... the whole route is on dirt trails. I might wimp out and make it 2 1/2 days.

Mikey
08-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm planning a 370-mile, 2-day, fixie pansy tour for this fall. Any other pansies that want to join me are welcome. Oh yeah... the whole route is on dirt trails. I might wimp out and make it 2 1/2 days.

My family and I are doing our annual "tour" from FFX to Lock house 6 on the C&O on Saturday and Monday of Labor Day weekend, you are welcome to visit the Lockhouse our paths cross.

Dirt
08-09-2012, 09:00 AM
My family and I are doing our annual "tour" from FFX to Lock house 6 on the C&O on Saturday and Monday of Labor Day weekend, you are welcome to visit the Lockhouse our paths cross.
Nice! I don't know my timing yet. I may be driving to Pittsburgh and riding home in 2 days. I've been giving all kinds of excuses to NOT do this ride for a few years now and I need to just get off my butt and do it. Doing the whole GAP will be shorter and possibly easier than just doing a DC-Cumberland-DC ride... It is logistically more complex though.

vvill
08-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Anytime I'm researching a bike, I'll strike it off if it has bar end shifters. I don't get the point either. I'd rather use downtube shifters! (Those were the first shifters on a road bike I ever used.) Brifters are the second and I'm not ever going back.

anyone on a road bike that is not a) racing or b) riding in rough terrain such as city commuting or cyclocross

I think a lot of road bike commuters around here do both at the same time = Brifters necessary!

I may be driving

DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

Dirt
08-09-2012, 09:35 AM
DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.
The thought of me operating a motor vehicle definitely causes even the most hearty, brave soul to shake in their boots.

Super scary thought? I was once a licensed school bus driver.

What were we talking about?

08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Super scary thought? I was once a licensed school bus driver.

I think that's just a "scary thought." A "super scary thought" would be finding out you were actually driving a school bus. (A school bus with kids -- live kids -- would be up in the "terrifying" region.)

Dirt
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I think that's just a "scary thought." A "super scary thought" would be finding out you were actually driving a school bus. (A school bus with kids -- live kids -- would be up in the "terrifying" region.)
I get that a lot.

creadinger
08-15-2012, 08:57 AM
So here's a question. Any idea when Surly will release the new 62cm Cross-Check or LHT framesets? I was at Spokes last week and they were checking for me but Surly didn't provide any informtion on when to expect the 2013s (especially the >60cm frames).

That's great it they're great bikes, but how the heck are you supposed to buy one if they're not available? The guy eventually said that they'll hopefully be around in a month or so.

wilesto
08-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Hey! Just started reading on this forum today, but I bought a Cross-Check about a month ago so I thought this thread would be an appropriate place for a first post.

I'm a huge fan. I was in a crash with a car back in May that bent up my beloved LeMond Poprad, and banged me up quite a bit too. Once I was healthy enough to think about getting back on a bike, I was looking for a similar steel ride that would a) fit me better than my previous bike and b) be durable/equipped enough to withstand heavy city-riding.

So far I'm happy - my 60cm frame fits me better than any bike I've ever owned and is large enough that no one can borrow it (take that, slightly shorter brother!), and the CC can certainly hold its own when it comes to commuting. Like I said before, I'm a fan.

As for the bar-end shifters, ...eh? I don't really have a preference one way or the other. I had 105s on my LeMond and will probably end up with them again, but I don't have any serious gripes about the bar-ends that make me want to switch NOW. Someone else mentioned something about inadvertent knee-shifting - that happened to me when I tried out a Trek 520, but the flared dropouts on the CC's stock Salsa bars seems to have solved that for me, long legs and all.

Glad to get involved with this forum! Hi everyone!

KelOnWheels
08-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Howdy, cool Crosscheck haver! :)

PotomacCyclist
08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Out of curiosity, I looked up the website for the Surly Cross-Check. When you click on the photos, the Back and Forward buttons are accompanied by icons of handguns. What's up with that? I'm not making a political statement here. I just found it kind of strange.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check/

Bilsko
08-16-2012, 09:16 PM
So here's a question. Any idea when Surly will release the new 62cm Cross-Check or LHT framesets? I was at Spokes last week and they were checking for me but Surly didn't provide any informtion on when to expect the 2013s (especially the >60cm frames).

That's great it they're great bikes, but how the heck are you supposed to buy one if they're not available? The guy eventually said that they'll hopefully be around in a month or so.

I'm not sure about availability, but I know that the Disc Trucker (of which I am a proud new owner) goes all the way up to 64cm in the 700c version and 62cm in the 26er. the 64cm is only available as a frameset IIRC.

Bicycle space had my Disc trucker (56) and I know they had a 58 or two in stock - may be worth checking with them.

Bilsko
08-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Hey! Just started reading on this forum today, but I bought a Cross-Check about a month ago so I thought this thread would be an appropriate place for a first post.

I'm a huge fan. I was in a crash with a car back in May that bent up my beloved LeMond Poprad, and banged me up quite a bit too. Once I was healthy enough to think about getting back on a bike, I was looking for a similar steel ride that would a) fit me better than my previous bike and b) be durable/equipped enough to withstand heavy city-riding.

So far I'm happy - my 60cm frame fits me better than any bike I've ever owned and is large enough that no one can borrow it (take that, slightly shorter brother!), and the CC can certainly hold its own when it comes to commuting. Like I said before, I'm a fan.

As for the bar-end shifters, ...eh? I don't really have a preference one way or the other. I had 105s on my LeMond and will probably end up with them again, but I don't have any serious gripes about the bar-ends that make me want to switch NOW. Someone else mentioned something about inadvertent knee-shifting - that happened to me when I tried out a Trek 520, but the flared dropouts on the CC's stock Salsa bars seems to have solved that for me, long legs and all.

Welcome - I just purchased a Disc Trucker two weeks ago and now (about 200 miles later), like you, I'm very happy with my decision to go with the Surly. I'll be pulling around a trailer and also hope to do some touring so the Trucker made more sense than the XCheck for me, but I really liked the one I test rode.

Tim Kelley
08-17-2012, 07:58 AM

Welcome! Out of curiosity, how did you happen to find the forum?

wilesto
08-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Welcome! Out of curiosity, how did you happen to find the forum?

Good question, I think it was just some link-surfing and googling that led me to a thread. I don't remember exactly what it was.

NicDiesel
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Cross Check lover here. Originally when I decided to get a new bike to help with weight loss I was strongly considering the Bianchi Volpe, which I test rode and loved, but decided on the Cross Check after a test ride of one that was sale ($900). I knew that going into the purchase I'd probably need to upgrade the rear wheel (I weight 400lbs) so I couldn't justify paying $1,350 for the Volpe when my total budget was $1,500. Still, I really love my Cross Check now that I've put 1,500 miles on it; can't wait to finish my first century on it!

I will say that the geometry of the CC is a little odd and most of the stock components aren't that great but I really love mine now that I've made some upgrades to it. I've replaced the stock bar tape with Lizard Skin, upgraded the rear wheel to a Phil Wood 48h-Velocity Chukkar monster, swapped out the stock 90mm stem for a 130mm one, and gotten the Brooks B17 saddle I got for my birthday broken in. Now it rides like a dream. My next upgrade is to swap out the bar end shifters for the standard brake lever ones most road bikes have and upgrade the front wheel to match the back so I have a full 48h touring set.

That said it does have its problems. The bar end shifters are horrible, the frames run large (I'm 6'2" and have a 56cm Cross Check but ride a 60cm in the LHT and a 58cm in most other bikes), the stock rims are really poor for larger riders (which is to be expected), and the stock seat could be used as a torture device. Still, for ~$1,000 it's a great do-it-all "road" bike.

wilesto
08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Cross Check lover here. Originally when I decided to get a new bike to help with weight loss I was strongly considering the Bianchi Volpe, which I test rode and loved, but decided on the Cross Check after a test ride of one that was sale ($900). I knew that going into the purchase I'd probably need to upgrade the rear wheel (I weight 400lbs) so I couldn't justify paying $1,350 for the Volpe when my total budget was $1,500. Still, I really love my Cross Check now that I've put 1,500 miles on it; can't wait to finish my first century on it!

I will say that the geometry of the CC is a little odd and most of the stock components aren't that great but I really love mine now that I've made some upgrades to it. I've replaced the stock bar tape with Lizard Skin, upgraded the rear wheel to a Phil Wood 48h-Velocity Chukkar monster, swapped out the stock 90mm stem for a 130mm one, and gotten the Brooks B17 saddle I got for my birthday broken in. Now it rides like a dream. My next upgrade is to swap out the bar end shifters for the standard brake lever ones most road bikes have and upgrade the front wheel to match the back so I have a full 48h touring set.

That said it does have its problems. The bar end shifters are horrible, the frames run large (I'm 6'2" and have a 56cm Cross Check but ride a 60cm in the LHT and a 58cm in most other bikes), the stock rims are really poor for larger riders (which is to be expected), and the stock seat could be used as a torture device. Still, for ~$1,000 it's a great do-it-all "road" bike.

Awesome! I also made a few changes on mine as soon as I got it home, the seat being the first. That thing is seriously uncomfortable. Honestly, who's shaped like that? The guys at the shop helped dial in my stem when I was test riding, so they got me what I needed when my bike was ready.

As for sizing, my understanding is that CX bikes generally run big because of the higher bottom bracket. More clearance below = shorter seat tube = smaller measurement for the same top tube height. I'm 6'4" with somewhat long legs, so I'm on a 60cm CC instead of a 62 or 64cm road bike. That's quite the haphazard explanation, so if anyone can do better/correct me then please do!

NicDiesel
08-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I was given a similar explanation but I chalked it up to me having extremely short legs but a long torso. Can you ride in the drops? I can't but that has a lot more to do with my carrying an extra 100lbs of belly fat than anything else. Still, a great bike for the price.

wilesto
08-17-2012, 11:46 AM
I occasionally use the drops, but not much since 90% of my everyday riding is in the city. I'm actually surprised that I can sometimes, since my seat is so far in the sky that it almost looks like a track bike.

NicDiesel
08-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Whew, looks like I'm not the only CC rider violating the "more than a handful of seatpost" rule.

DaveK
08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I think I said it earlier but that's why I sold my CC - too long of a top tube and too short a head tube for my desired seat tube length (aka my torso and arms aren't long enough for the right size frame). If you have short legs and long monkey arms it would fit great. I mean long monkey arms in the most flattering way, of course, to allow you to swing from streetlight poles and whatnot.

4st7lb - is your CC black? I think I've seen you at Hains and thought to myself how generally awesome you are. Keep killing it out there.

NicDiesel
08-17-2012, 12:25 PM
4st7lb - is your CC black? I think I've seen you at Hains and thought to myself how generally awesome you are. Keep killing it out there.

Yep - I'm usually in a plain white jersey doing laps there on the weekend. I ordered the wrong color bar tape so I'll be even easier to spot - large guy, white jersey, black CC with orange bar tape. Say hi if you see me out there.

eminva
08-17-2012, 12:33 PM
I think I said it earlier but that's why I sold my CC - too long of a top tube and too short a head tube for my desired seat tube length (aka my torso and arms aren't long enough for the right size frame). If you have short legs and long monkey arms it would fit great. I mean long monkey arms in the most flattering way, of course, to allow you to swing from streetlight poles and whatnot.

Although I don't have a Surly and no intention of buying one, I'm finding the side discussion of bike fit very interesting. The LBS salesman who sold me my way too big bike about four years ago had me try a Cross Check first. All I did was straddle it in the bike in the bike shop and he said, "Nope!" Maybe this was why -- insufficiently long monkey arms. At least he got that much right . . .

I think a lot of forum participants like cross bikes for commuting, but do they make them in women specific frame sizes? I've never had much luck finding one that even passed the most cursory fit check for me.

I have not seen you out at Hains Point, but I agree with DaveK.

Liz

DaveK
08-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Yep - I'm usually in a plain white jersey doing laps there on the weekend. I ordered the wrong color bar tape so I'll be even easier to spot - large guy, white jersey, black CC with orange bar tape. Say hi if you see me out there.

Embrace it! Add some orange cable housing and it'll look great! I'll definitely say hi next time I see you.

jrenaut
08-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Embrace it! Add some orange cable housing and it'll look great! I'll definitely say hi next time I see you.
Yeah, I recently replaced the black tape on my black and white Giant with red tape just so I could have some color on my bike.

NicDiesel
08-17-2012, 12:49 PM

I was so heartbroken when the wheel guy said the Velocity Deep Vs wouldn't be strong enough for me and that I should go with the Chukkar instead. I could take paying $400 for a hub to support my weight, not being able to get orange rims was a real gut punch though. Brooks does offer an orange B17 though, at least I can get that to match the tape.

jopamora
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Uh, do I know you? I just added orange brake cable housing.

mstone
08-17-2012, 01:35 PM
I was so heartbroken when the wheel guy said the Velocity Deep Vs wouldn't be strong enough for me and that I should go with the Chukkar instead. I could take paying $400 for a hub to support my weight, not being able to get orange rims was a real gut punch though. Brooks does offer an orange B17 though, at least I can get that to match the tape.

I tried the orange B17, it's more brown. :(

DaveK
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Uh, do I know you? I just added orange brake cable housing.

I've suggested orange housing to a frightening number of people. Only one of which crashed his bike thereafter.

wilesto
08-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Although I don't have a Surly and no intention of buying one, I'm finding the side discussion of bike fit very interesting. The LBS salesman who sold me my way too big bike about four years ago had me try a Cross Check first. All I did was straddle it in the bike in the bike shop and he said, "Nope!" Maybe this was why -- insufficiently long monkey arms. At least he got that much right . . .

I actually ended up getting a size smaller than I needed. The 62cm they had in stock was "technically" the right size per standover etc., but it felt a little unwieldy underneath me. I had them get a 60, which feels much more maneuverable than the 62 but also much more stable than my old 57cm Poprad. I ended up with just what I wanted, so I'm happy! And that robins-egg blue is just so pretty...

KelOnWheels
08-17-2012, 03:59 PM
One of those light blue Cross Checks with orange cable housing would be purty. I would like such a thing.

Is there no 48cm frame on the Cross Check? That seems odd. A 50cm might be OK though. ;)