PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Tysons

eminva
06-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Hello --

Tour de Tysons is June 29, 2014. Come see exciting races! This year, FABB will be hosting additional events -- bicycle caravans to the site, a commuter seminar and an open streets family fun ride during the event. Fun for everyone! Learn more here (http://www.fabb-bikes.org/tourdetysons.html).

Questions? Let me know.

Liz

Rockford10
06-16-2014, 10:57 AM
So, the 9-12 juniors races, are those "competitive"? Like, would my 11 year old look out of place on his mother's old Mongoose hybrid? He's interested in the race, and he's got some legs, but he doesn't have the right bike and I worry it's not quite his style. In addition, I'm not interested in any trips to the ER.

MattAune
06-16-2014, 08:35 PM
So, the 9-12 juniors races, are those "competitive"? Like, would my 11 year old look out of place on his mother's old Mongoose hybrid? He's interested in the race, and he's got some legs, but he doesn't have the right bike and I worry it's not quite his style. In addition, I'm not interested in any trips to the ER.

For the most part yes, the 9-12 race will be full of kids on road bikes wearing team kit. But there are always a few kids who are are there as their first race on a hybrid or mountain bike. It is usually a small field and I am sure he would be fine safety wise. It is USAC sanctioned and you would have to purchase a one-day license ($15) in addition to the entry fee.

dkel
06-16-2014, 09:23 PM
For the most part yes, the 9-12 race will be full of kids on road bikes wearing team kit. But there are always a few kids who are are there as their first race on a hybrid or mountain bike. It is usually a small field and I am sure he would be fine safety wise. It is USAC sanctioned and you would have to purchase a one-day license ($15) in addition to the entry fee.

Pretty sure that would be considered "off-putting" by my son. He's a little like his father in that regard: bunch of 9-12 year-olds in team kit? Yeesh! :eek:

ShawnoftheDread
06-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Pretty sure that would be considered "off-putting" by my son. He's a little like his father in that regard: bunch of 9-12 year-olds in team kit? Yeesh! :eek:

Then his goal should be shame and destroy the budding roadies.

cyclingfool
06-17-2014, 11:26 AM

I understand that sentiment. And for the record, I own no kit and wear cotton t-shirts for my riding 99% of the time when it's not winter/wool weather. :rolleyes:

That said, is this much different than a bunch of little leaguers wearing appropriate gear and perhaps some pro team's logo? Or Pop Warner kids wearing pads and football uniforms? It's a sport/physical activity, and to do it competitively sometimes means wearing certain types of clothing.

culimerc
06-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Ya' gotta jump in at some point and its only gonna get worse, so you might as well give it a shot now.

dkel
06-17-2014, 01:17 PM
That said, is this much different than a bunch of little leaguers wearing appropriate gear and perhaps some pro team's logo?

In the best sense, no it's not any different. Then again, some of the worst cyclist behavior and/or attitude can come from the ELITE set (though I really hope that doesn't extend to kids). Also, some of the worst comes from people without kit on clunky hybrids (i.e. looking just like my son does), so I should probably just quit while I'm ahead.

VikingMariner
06-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Disappointing vendor turnout. Maybe next year will be better.

MattAune
06-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Disappointing vendor turnout. Maybe next year will be better.

How so? If you would like elaborate a little I will gladly see what we can do to make it better next year.

Vicegrip
06-30-2014, 11:07 AM
In the best sense, no it's not any different. Then again, some of the worst cyclist behavior and/or attitude can come from the ELITE set (though I really hope that doesn't extend to kids). Also, some of the worst comes from people without kit on clunky hybrids (i.e. looking just like my son does), so I should probably just quit while I'm ahead.
My girl is 10 and is about the kit. She and her brother, who will ride in whatever he happens to be wearing when a ride comes up, are also all about good road and MUP skills and safety. Like you I see poor skills from all style of dress

I digress. Was bummed out that the days events keeps us from coming and watching. I suspect my son will be in the 9 to 12 group at some point. In kit perhaps but I would bet not shaving his legs.

culimerc
06-30-2014, 12:41 PM
How so? If you would like elaborate a little I will gladly see what we can do to make it better next year.

I would like to see more beer vendors :)

hozn
06-30-2014, 01:27 PM
I would suggest that mountain bike racing is generally going to be a lower-key entry to bike racing. I didn't stick around for that race, but would definitely expect the 9-12 crowd to be in team kit (and racing for teams -- like NCVC) and riding road bikes. Road racing is an "all-in" proposition.

dkel
06-30-2014, 05:34 PM
I wasn't there to see the 9-12 race, but Rockford10 saw it and tells me it was pretty great to see all the kids out and having a ball; the interaction between the kids was particularly classic, I'm told. I imagine my son would have felt a little out of place and/or underprepared for the race, though, had he joined in as a complete newbie. How does one break into this sport, anyway? Just sign up for a league?

hozn
06-30-2014, 06:14 PM
You could go do Wednesdays at Wakefield - I think this Weds (last one?). If/when my son wants to start racing, I will encourage starting with MTB. Learning to handle the bike is great and dirt hurts less than pavement (or at least speeds are much slower).

MattAune
07-01-2014, 08:01 AM
We (NCVC) have a juniors squad that welcomes all abilities. We have 2-4 practices a week during road season, and 2 practices a week for cyclocross. There is always at least one coach, usually 2, and a few parents who are also racers at each practice to help. We work on riding in a pack, pace lines, and cornering with all the kids. The older kids will sometimes work on attacks, bridging attacks and sprinting.

For kids new to the sport I seriously recommend cyclocross. CX practices are usually at bluemont park and williamsburg middle school.

VikingMariner
07-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Okay. Thanks. Hope these half-baked notions are seen as constructive:

Encourage bike shops to advertise a bike sale at the race and bring bikes for sale. They do this quite randomly on the W so why not at a race?

Expand the list of vendors to include restaurants, supermarkets, massage/spas, fitness gyms, insurance firms, sports medicine doctors, etc.

Seek out a bank and major non-profit sponsor (for example, cancer foundation).

Recruit major local celebrities to attend, speak, and/or race for free.

Never return to the current race location for vendors as it was not a warm, inviting venue. It was a semi-construction zone. Seek our a grassy knoll-type venue.

Consider pre-race events/activities and press event at the Galleria.

Invite local TV news crews. Tell them there are spectacular bike crashes and injuries. They're sick like that.

The police need to do more than direct traffic. They need to have a tent on bike safety. Local politicians (including federal and state) need to help man it as an opportunity for them to recruit voters.

Set up family biking games, for example, a precising auto-cross like course. So many new riders cannot ride in a straight line, hold their bike motionless while clipped in, or negotiate tight turns. They could learn and practice at the venue under the guidance of experienced riders.

Bike maintenance and repair seminars taught by non-cycling shops. The repair times at shops are a joke (too long); people would be interested in doing their own repairs and saving cash (good attendance selling point).

F1 car races have a festival-like atmosphere that keep people there at the race. We should try to create that too.

Alcohol and her friends should be invited after 11 AM. Belgian Ale should be the Master of Ceremonies.

A race route that includes a residential area may draw in more new people.

Emphasis that the race is free to observers. Many of my neighbors thought it was not free and although they bike ride, they never heard about the race from any of their normal sources of info.

Hope this helps. Forgive me if any of these things happened and I did not realize it.

Dickie
07-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Sounds to me like VikingMariner is volunteering his time next year... awesome job!

MattAune
07-02-2014, 12:30 PM
VikingMariner, there is a lot of good stuff in there. Thanks for the feedback, especially when it comes to vendors and crowd interaction. I don't know if there was any discussion about a beer tent for this year, but that is something that I would love to see next year also. Maybe that my inner cyclocrosser speaking.

Unfortunately, the venue and the actual race course is one area that we are extremely limited. I thought that this years course was much better than last years course. But there is a lot of uncertainty about potential construction next summer and what that might mean for the venue.

hozn
07-02-2014, 02:01 PM
So I was only there first thing in the morning for the cat 5 race, but I thought the vendor presence that was already there was great. I'm comparing to other cycling events, never been to an F1 race, etc. I suspect that level of vendor interest may be a little less for the local crit than a globally televised event :) There were far fewer people in the AM and no food trucks yet (sadly), so I'm guessing it only got better later in the day. Certainly I thought from a vendor perspective this was as good or better than the Air Force Classic. Of course things like the announcer/podium/and general race demarcation etc. was a little more pro-level at the AFC, but one would expect that.

My only feedback was that it would have been nice to have the Cat 5 results posted up when the others were posted on Sunday. (The Cat 5 results were just posted last night.) Not a big deal.

It was a fun course, though. I look forward doing it next year.

VikingMariner
07-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Sounds to me like VikingMariner is volunteering his time next year... awesome job!

Damn you. :)

Rockford10
07-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Hey, I was there from pretty early (9:15 or so?) until about 1:00 and had a great time. I'm not sure if my expectations were in line with the actual event or what, but I thought it was fun.

In an attempt at being a good citizen and advocating for bike infrastructure, my family and I tried to make the FABB bike train out of Vienna. A flat tire on my dad's bike and my inability to inflate the tube (damn micro pump!) caused us to miss the train. No worries though, once the tube was inflated, we rode my almost typical way to work, then Gallows and down International Dr. Sunday morning is lovely in Tysons!

We got some coffee and snacks from the Ritz Carlton booth (thanks!) and sat down and watched some riders. Then we collected some swag and I talked to someone about riding from McLean to Tysons. I don't think we were talking about the same thing. I am still convinced you can't do it without going through Falls Church or Arlington! Next were juniors races and more snax. (The juniors were hilarious. The winner kept thanking his teammates "guys, I couldn't have done it without you" and the kids in kits were priceless.

We then attended the Commuting seminar put on by FABB and eminva. It managed to be fun and informative at the same time. I kept trying to get my father to pay attention! "Dad, we're on this page." My younger son exhibited some pout and wouldn't get his helmet adjusted. Older son stepped up to represent dad's helmet adjustment ability.

We then watched a race (go green helmet!!) and the kidz got even more snax.

I think at about this time DKel showed up and we went on the FABB course ride. Older son (without kit, but with new road bike) floundered and only completed a few laps. I was about done at one lap, but felt like I needed to stick with younger son. Younger son stepped up and powered through (maybe) 6 laps and was devastated he couldn't go for 10 laps when time was called (I admit I lost count at one point, but we are sticking with 6). After some crepes, we headed home around the mall and via Gallows. Younger son, on the heavy MTB said, I can tell I'm getting stronger. Maybe younger son will compete next year...

My only constructive complaint is to have the announcer where it makes sense. I didn't understand why he was on the side away from the finish.

You could add a kid area, but I almost only suggest this because there were lots of kids there that were incredibly bored. Either siblings of the racers or kids of the racers. Lots of boredom.

Oh and beer.

hozn
07-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Good point about the announcer! That didn't make sense to me either.

Yes, and beer. I think beer would have been fantastic -- even at 8:30am.

dkel
07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I think beer would have been fantastic -- even at 8:30am.

That's what stout is for (especially oatmeal stout). I brewed a porter once with coffee in it: kill two birds with one stone in the a.m.