PDA

View Full Version : Lets hope the weather forecast is wrong...

Terpfan
05-12-2014, 03:25 PM
It looks like they're calling for heavy rains on Friday and a high of upper 60s. Go figure it's 90 and sunny today and then it will be 65 and raining on Friday. I guess it's better than snow...

cyclingfool
05-12-2014, 03:38 PM
90 and sunny today and then it will be 65 and raining on Friday. I guess it's better than snow...

I'm not so sure. Summer here sucks. :mad: This time of year I always start dreaming of living in the PNW.

5577 (http://pathlesspedaled.spreadshirt.com/m-welcome-to-oregon-A9421574/customize/color/66)

cvcalhoun
05-12-2014, 10:33 PM
To be honest, 65 and raining sounds better to me than 90 and sunny. You can always wear rain gear, but there's nothing much you can do about heat.

n18
05-13-2014, 03:47 AM
Don't worry. It's going to be Saturday instead of Friday. Usually the forecast is wrong about when raining starts. It's always later than they predict, it's like the wind is slower. So if they say it will rain in 4 days, it would be 5 days, and if they say it will start raining in the morning, it would be late morning or afternoon. If you check the hourly forecast of the weather channel website repeatedly during a day that rain is expected, you will notice that as the time gets closer(like when PM showers are expected), the start hour gets pushed further.

Hopefully it gets pushed back to the overnight hours. Here is Friday forecast at the moment for the record:

Friday May 16:

Day:

Rain with a few rumbles of thunder. Potential for heavy rainfall. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the low 50s.
High: 67įF
Chance of rain: 70%
Wind: NNW at 7 mph
Humidity: 63%

Night:

Partly Cloudy
Low: 51į
Chance of rain: 10%
Wind: NNW at 5 mph
Humidity: 71%

skins_brew
05-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Yea, I personally do not buy a forecast until I see it in person. Weather forecasters are notoriously wrong, but it looks like for something like this, it is hard to miss. I really need to get a rain jacket :p

DanB
05-13-2014, 07:19 AM
From BTWD website:
Bike to Work Day is a rain or shine event! All pit stops will be open regardless of the weather. It’s strongly encouraged to pack rain gear, just in case.

The bad part is there won't be as many people participating; the good part is that there will be more swag for those of us who do ride. :cool:

rcannon100
05-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Answer:

What if it rains (http://www.biketoworkmetrodc.org/event-info/frequently-asked-questions)?

Bike to Work Day is a rain or shine event! All pit stops will be open regardless of the weather. It’s strongly encouraged to pack rain gear, just in case.

Terpfan
05-13-2014, 10:13 AM
The bad part is there won't be as many people participating; the good part is that there will be more swag for those of us who do ride. :cool:

Correct, I think we should get double swag if the numbers are down. I'm trying to score some maintenance coupons and maybe even get them to play some more with my ever so slightly bent derailleur.

As for weather, I prefer 90 and sunny to 65 and raining. I can hydrate and speed up to create a breeze, but I can't really stay dry no matter what I try. Flip side I suppose is rainy days mean a deserted MVT, which i do prefer.

jrenaut
05-13-2014, 10:19 AM
I love riding in summer rain. I do not love going to Preakness in the rain, however, so I would selfishly prefer rain Friday.

Phatboing
05-13-2014, 10:22 AM
To be honest, 65 and raining sounds better to me than 90 and sunny. You can always wear rain gear, but there's nothing much you can do about heat.

A hundred times this. I've chickened out of riding more times in oppressive heat and humidity than in snow and ice.

(it helps that I grew up under the monsoons, so 65-ish and rain = home)

mstone
05-13-2014, 10:36 AM
I greatly prefer heat. Sweat in humidity may or may not evaporate, but sweat in rain gear definitely won't and cold rain saps heat and gives you a chill while you're still wet and clammy from sweating in the rain gear. I also worry about reduced visibility--I get a lot more nervous around cars when there's a driving rain because I'm concerned about how well they can see (and at the same time they need more room to stop). And then there are the trails with poop floods...

So, overall, 50-60 degree thunderstorms on friday just sounds grim.

creadinger
05-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't spend much time looking at the numerical models, but with it being a frontal passage, it could be a few hours of heavy rain, then clearing skies after it passes, as opposed to an all-day rain event. If it happens in the middle of the day, then commutes could be minimally affected.

BUT as several of you in this thread have already proclaimed superior expertise in weather predicting over meteorologists, I'm sure we'll either get a hurricane, or a snowstorm.

DismalScientist
05-13-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm sure we'll either get ... a snowstorm.

Woohoo!

Greenbelt
05-13-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't spend much time looking at the numerical models, but with it being a frontal passage, it could be a few hours of heavy rain, then clearing skies after it passes, as opposed to an all-day rain event. If it happens in the middle of the day, then commutes could be minimally affected.

BUT as several of you in this thread have already proclaimed superior expertise in weather predicting over meteorologists, I'm sure we'll either get a hurricane, or a snowstorm.

12z GFS and NAM looks to me like a washout for the morning, but maybe dryer by evening.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nam/12/nam_namer_075_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_078_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

mstone
05-13-2014, 11:49 AM
note that BTWD gear is also suitable for boat to work day

vern
05-13-2014, 12:01 PM
The NAM isn't very reliable 3 days out, however, in this instance it does resemble the GFS (we may need a sub-forum for cyclist weather geeks).

Greenbelt
05-13-2014, 12:16 PM
The NAM isn't very reliable 3 days out, however, in this instance it does resemble the GFS (we may need a sub-forum for cyclist weather geeks).

Here's morning LWX discussion, with all the sexy met abbrevs:

FROM LATE THU INTO MIDDAY FRI...WAVES OF MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN WILL
APPROACH AND MOVE ACROSS THE REGION. EMBEDDED AREAS OF HEAVIER
ACTIVITY LIKELY ELEVATED CONVECTION WILL ADD THE ELEMENT OF MIXING
DOWN ISOLATED GUSTY TO POSSIBLY DAMAGING WINDS - ESPEC ON FRI AFTN.
THE MAIN CONCERN HOWEVER IS FLOODING FROM THE 1-3 INCHES OF EXPECTED
QPF...LOCALLY HIGHER. THE SFC SYSTEM NOT QUITE IN CONSENSUS AMONGST
THE MED RANGE MEMBERS...BUT A TREND TOWARD THE SFC LOW LOOKS TO
TRACK NEAR THE AREA DURING THE FIRST-HALF OF THE DAY ON FRI. THE
TRACK OF THE STRONGER OF THE SFC LOWS WILL DETERMINE THE CONVECTIVE
POTENTIAL FOR THE AREA. THE MORE OF OUR AREA THAT IS SOUTH AND EAST
OF THE LOW - THE BETTER THE POTENTIAL FOR INSTABILITY AND STRONGER
CONVECTION. THE FURTHER SOUTH THE LOW IS RELATIVE TO OUR
REGION...THE MORE GENERAL STRATIFORM AND MAINLY WIDESPREAD MODERATE
RAIN.

jrenaut
05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
OH NO not expected QPF!

What's QPF?

And Greenbelt, how did you post that without the forum anti-shouting alarm going off?

consularrider
05-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Well, in the past six B2WDs, we've only had one rainy morning, quello che sara, sara.

cyclingfool
05-13-2014, 12:56 PM
OH NO not expected QPF!

What's QPF?

QPF?! Run for the hills!

On another note, sorry, but I couldn't resist the temptation (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=QPF). Excuse my snarkiness.

jrenaut
05-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Oh, I certainly could have Googled it if I actually cared. And really, in hindsight, I should have made my joke about "CONSENSUS AMONGST THE MED RANGE MEMBERS".

PotomacCyclist
05-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Updated forecast from the National Weather Service:

Greenbelt
05-13-2014, 04:58 PM
OH NO not expected QPF!

What's QPF?

And Greenbelt, how did you post that without the forum anti-shouting alarm going off?

Here zur QPF, man. (Real Mets use all CAPS and sexy abbrevs b/c they transmit in Morse I think and need save chars)

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/fill_99qwbg.gif

Greenbelt
05-13-2014, 04:59 PM
All seriousness aside, this much rain on Friday morning will probably create another weekly flood on the NE Branch trail low point by the rail bridge.

Vicegrip
05-13-2014, 05:30 PM
I like riding in the rain as I (now) have the right gear and after some less than positive early results have learned how to. I understand the rain or shine thing but I don't think this sounds like the right weather to entice new riders to consider commuting. It also seems that forecasts are getting better in the one or 2 day out window. Wednesday will likely have a solid forecast of what Friday is going to look like.

skins_brew
05-13-2014, 06:15 PM
All seriousness aside, this much rain on Friday morning will probably create another weekly flood on the NE Branch trail low point by the rail bridge.

and the Metro tracks at Lake Artemsia...

and Lake Artemesia (wait, it is actually still flooded as of this afternoon)...

and under the East West Highway....

and maybe at the end of the College Park airpark...

Steve O
05-13-2014, 06:37 PM
I believe it was 2005 was the worst BTWD ever. Steady, constant rain and only about 44 degrees. I started contracting hypothermia at Freedom Plaza and could barely ride the last mile to my office. The warm shower never felt so good.

Yes, just looked it up. May 20, 2005 it rained 2.63 inches. The record rainfall for DC on that date is, you guessed it, 2.63 inches (2005)

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDCA/2005/5/20/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

It shows the temp was more like low 50's, but it sure seemed a lot more miserable than that.

I suspect there were a lot of leftover t-shirts that day.

peterw_diy
05-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks, Steve. That was the first day I biked to work since moving to the DC area. I lost my favorite helmet cover on the ride in, and pedaled through a puddle on the MVT deep enough to cover my bottom bracket. There were no showers at work. At least I didn't have a flat.

vern
05-13-2014, 07:46 PM
The times indicated on Greenbelt's map above are Greenwich Mean Time, so the map covers Thursday evening to Friday evening. That would be one big pile of water for the Friday morning commute if that is realized.

jrenaut
05-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Rule 9, motherb**ches!

americancyclo
05-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Rule 9, motherb**ches!

Says the man who just bailed on helping to lead a convoy

jrenaut
05-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Says the man who just bailed on helping to lead a convoy
That wasn't for weather concerns, that was for "I have to take the kids to school in DC at 815" concerns

americancyclo
05-13-2014, 08:46 PM
That wasn't for weather concerns, that was for "I have to take the kids to school in DC at 815" concerns

Something something excuse. I'll see you at freedom plaza in the rain. Who's giving out rain capes or trash bags?

n18
05-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Don't worry. It's going to be Saturday instead of Friday. Usually the forecast is wrong about when raining starts. It's always later than they predict
I noticed that when looking at the 10-Day forecast at the weather channel website, it only shows the chance of rain for daytime, not at night. It was showing last night and today that on Thursday, the chance of rain is 30%, but when I click on "Details", it shows that it's 30% for daytime, 100% for nighttime, so the rain was predicted to start Thursday evening and continues till Friday. Watch as this gets pushed forward, so rain is probably going to start on the overnight hours, and perhaps lasts all day Friday. Sorry for the gloomy prediction.:(

consularrider
05-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Do you think we can get 20,000 riders for rule #9 on Friday?

Vicegrip
05-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Do you think we can get 20,000 riders for rule #9 on Friday?I know of one. 19,999 to go.

peterw_diy
05-14-2014, 06:14 PM
A Flash Flood Watch is in effect midnight to 6pm Friday. Rule 9, indeed.

cvcalhoun
05-14-2014, 08:03 PM
At least we've been getting in lots of Rule 9 practice this week. I don't think there is a day this week it hasn't rained at least some of the time.

SilverSpring
05-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Bike To Work Day looks like a bust
All that rain will make the Steel Steed rust
Still, I might try to power
Through each passing shower
For I’m made of muscle* not dust

*Don’t ask about my BMI and I won’t ask about yours

Fast Friendly Guy
05-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Look on the bright side....If the weather is crappy, attendance will fall off (as belle-weathers bail) and that means more FREE stuff for the faithful!

mstone
05-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Look on the bright side....If the weather is crappy, attendance will fall off (as belle-weathers bail) and that means more FREE stuff for the faithful!

I was planning to be there before 7, they probably won't have given up yet. :(

rcannon100
05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
FREE stuff

For their to be Free Stuff, someone has to volunteer to work these pit stops. And the Volunteers may not get the concept of Rule 9 ~ standing in a thunderstorm for hours in a park. And frankly, I hope for the safety of the volunteers, those in charge make contingency plans.

Fast Friendly Guy
05-14-2014, 08:47 PM
For their to be Free Stuff, someone has to volunteer to work these pit stops. And the Volunteers may not get the concept of Rule 9.

No sweat...we just reach over the unmanned table into the box of stuff on the other side (smiling in a friendly way, of course) and help ourselves!

BTW, since I'm still too beat up to "Ride to Work" on RTWD, I'm planning on: PYBTWD (Push Your Bike To Work Day) and I'm pushing the Black Battleship to the Rosslyn stop early--'cause I'm not missing out on my T-shirt again this year!

Rockford10
05-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Made some contingency plan purchases today:

What? I don't melt, but any combination of the 9 year old, the 11 year old and the grandfather might.

n18
05-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Some good news: it looks like that rain is ending around 1:00 PM Friday according to the weather channel hourly forecast:

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Washington+DC+USDC0001:1:US

Fast Friendly Guy
05-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Made some contingency plan purchases today:

The arithmetic behind the panchos is priceless!!

dkel
05-14-2014, 09:36 PM
The arithmetic behind the panchos is priceless!!

Didn't feel so priceless trying to get the kid to put the arithmetic on the sheet in the first place.

Sunyata
05-15-2014, 06:31 AM
My contingency plan was to bring an extra set of clothes and a towel with me to work this morning... Tomorrow is going to be miserable, but I have not missed a BTWD in 5 years, and since this is my first in the DC area, I will not let a little (LOT) of rain stop me! :cool:

jtcallahan
05-15-2014, 06:58 AM
I plan to HTFU and ride in tomorrow. 28 miles from Mt. Vernon to Fairfax :eek: Installed fenders, pulled out the rain jacket and pants and purchased a cover for my pack. Free t-shirt here I come!

PotomacCyclist
05-15-2014, 07:15 AM
The W. Post's latest forecast for Friday, as of this morning:

"Tomorrow (Friday): The morning commute – especially early on – may be a mess due to downpours. Although the heaviest rains depart by mid-morning, additional rounds of showers may cycle through into the early afternoon. There is even the potential for another surge of thunderstorms in the afternoon favoring the Bay and the beaches. Winds shift from southeast to northwest around midday in D.C. and that begins the scene change; Act 2: Spring Awakening! This also heads off much of a temperature climb with highs only topping out in the mid 70s in most areas. Drier air should bring an end to showers by evening in all but the Delmarva.

Confidence: Medium"

Maybe there will be a window of only light rain during part of the morning rush hour?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/05/15/d-c-area-forecast-warm-and-calm-today-serious-downpours-tonight-weekend-a-winner/?hpid=z2

rcannon100
05-15-2014, 07:18 AM
For there to be a free t shirt, for there to be a box that you can just reach into, someone has to be standing under a tent, in a thunderstorm, with winds gusts that are now projected to be 26 mph, for hours. I really hope we cyclists are not encouraging staff or volunteers to risk life and limb so we can have a t shirt or waterbottle.

Well what I really hope for is the storm dodges us.

Rule #5: Dont be stupid ~ and dont cause anyone else to be stupid.

Maybe there will be a window of only light rain during part of the morning rush hour?

Check the primary source. The weather blather on the news channels comes from NOAA (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.88451&lon=-77.09385829999997&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical).

There is always the afternoon (hopefully)

WASHCYCLE: Mirroring the after work, bike-commuter social scene, this year's Bike To Work Day will include five evening “pit stops,” with food, drink and other amusements. According to Douglas Franklin of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, “this year we have expanded the afternoon pit stops from two to [five]! Small number of events but I like the percentage increase!” Official afternoon pit stops are at East Falls Church, Silver Spring, College Park, Columbia Heights and the Georgetown Waterfront. Most afternoon stops open at 4 pm. See www.biketoworkmetrodc.org for details.

Emm
05-15-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm teleworking tomorrow since I have to leave early for a trip. I had originally planned to do a ride in the early AM just to get out of the house for awhile since I'll be stuck in a car 6-8 hrs during the day. I figured if I ride in a loop from my home in Rosslyn, to DC, then back home, it's kinda like biking to work since my work tomorrow is at home... If the weather is really bad my morning ride may just be 3 blocks each way to the pit stop instead of the 10-15 mile loop I had hoped for :-/

I plan to be at the Rosslyn stop at 6:45/7 am tomorrow. I hope to see some of you there. If it's raining I'll likely be the cranky looking female with a white helmet and a blue trek hybrid ;)

dbb
05-15-2014, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=PotomacCyclist;85378]The W. Post's latest forecast for Friday, as of this morning:

"[B]Although the heaviest rains depart by mid-morning, additional rounds of cyclists may cycle through into the early afternoon."

FTFY

creadinger
05-15-2014, 08:00 AM
Check the primary source. The weather blather on the news channels comes from NOAA (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.88451&lon=-77.09385829999997&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical).

Are you suggesting that the Capitol Weather Gang just bases their forecasts on what NOAA says??

My colleague and part-time CWG forecaster would beg to differ. As a source of context, discussion and general weather information the CWG is pretty much better than everyone else locally. That's not to say they always have the best forecast, but it's definitely not just a copy/paste of NWS.

consularrider
05-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Some good news: it looks like that rain is ending around 1:00 PM Friday according to the weather channel hourly forecast:

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Washington+DC+USDC0001:1:US
So we may be able to sit outside and stay dry at the Bike Home From Work Happy Hour at the Westover Market Beer Garden! Just make sure that whoever gets there first wipes off all the chairs. :D

SarahK
05-15-2014, 08:05 AM
This weather forecast is kind of bumming me out. This is my first BTWD since I started bike commuting, and I have been looking forward to it ALL YEAR (I bought my bike in June.) I have resolved to ride no matter what, even though I have a torn MCL right now and have been told to "rest." The plan was to just not wear my clipless shoes so I can float my injured leg if I need to. But the rain is totally throwing me off! I prefer to ride clipless in the rain so my feet don't slip off the pedals. Now I have to reassess. :confused:

Don't get me wrong - I'll be riding! Rules 5 and 9! I look forward to seeing some of you fine folks at the Twinbrook and Rockville Town Square pit stops. I'd be happy to have a partner northbound. I'll be riding Twinbrook to Rio.

PS - a little tip I learned running/riding in the sleet and cold rain this winter: if you don't have waterproof pants, a little oil on your legs goes a long way. The oil helps keep the cold rain from absorbing into your skin so you stay a little warmer. I use Alpha Keri oil, but olive oil would work just fine.

ShawnoftheDread
05-15-2014, 08:49 AM
For there to be a free t shirt, for there to be a box that you can just reach into, someone has to be standing under a tent, in a thunderstorm, with winds gusts that are now projected to be 26 mph, for hours. I really hope we cyclists are not encouraging staff or volunteers to risk life and limb so we can have a t shirt or waterbottle.

Well what I really hope for is the storm dodges us.

Rule #5: Dont be stupid ~ and dont cause anyone else to be stupid.

There is always the afternoon (hopefully)

Isn't it the organizers who are insisting that it's a rain or shine event, not the participants? If they don't set up tents and lay out swag, then I won't go to the pit stops and I'll completely understand. But if they set up, why should I stay away?

Fast Friendly Guy
05-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Isn't it the organizers who are insisting that it's a rain or shine event, not the participants? If they don't set up tents and lay out swag, then I won't go to the pit stops and I'll completely understand. But if they set up, why should I stay away?

Yup! Shawn's nailed it.

Fast Friendly Guy
05-15-2014, 09:30 AM
For Pete D's daughter, and anyone else (including me) who's on the injured list.......

I'm declaring tomorrow to be the official:

PYBTWD "Push Your Bike To Work Day"

Karen B and I will see you tomorrow in Rosslyn 7-3:30, [x] rain [ ] shine or [x] more rain!

Dave
PS: Then see you later at PYBTHHIW "Push Your Bike To Happy Hour in Westover"

Steve O
05-15-2014, 09:32 AM
I have not missed a BTWD in 5 years. . .
If you come to Ballston, you can see my complete collection going back to 2002; I will have it there on display. I participated back in the 90's, too, but I don't have any t-shirts. I can't recall if they gave them out back then.
(Still waiting for pink)

KLizotte
05-15-2014, 09:49 AM
For Pete D's daughter, and anyone else (including me) who's on the injured list.......

Karen B and I will see you tomorrow in Rosslyn 7-3:30, [x] rain [ ] shine or [x] more rain!

Dave
PS: Then see you later at PYBTHHIW "Push Your Bike To Happy Hour in Westover"

No need to push a bike. Just walk around with a helmet on your head and no one will be the wiser! :p

SarahK
05-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Pushing my bike 8 miles in the rain? I think I'd be late to work :p

JimF22003
05-15-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm a fair-weather commuter during the year. Wouldn't it be hypocritical of me to make a point of riding in the rain when I wouldn't do it any other day?

That's my story anyway. Doubtful I will ride in. But I can see the local Tysons stop from my office window. I'll wave at ya.

creadinger
05-15-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm a fair-weather commuter during the year. Wouldn't it be hypocritical of me to make a point of riding in the rain when I wouldn't do it any other day?

I'm a fair weather commuter for sure. Driving takes me half the time as riding, and in bad weather I just don't see the point of getting me and my bike all grimey, BTWD or not. I care about my bikes. I do not care about how my car looks. I rode in Mon, Tues, and today. Where's my t-shirt? If it's not raining that much for a window from 0630-0730 tomorrow morning I may ride in, but only because I feel bad for the people manning the pit stop in Suitland, which is its first year and cyclists around here in SE are hard to come by.

mstone
05-15-2014, 12:34 PM
They added "chance of tornadoes" which may be the point at which I throw in the towel.

jrenaut
05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
They added "chance of tornadoes" which may be the point at which I throw in the towel.
I wouldn't do that, the towel would act as a sail in a tornado and then you'd be in trouble.

mstone
05-15-2014, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't do that, the towel would act as a sail in a tornado and then you'd be in trouble.

I think I saw that movie. That old witch never did get her BTWD shirt.

jrenaut
05-15-2014, 12:40 PM
She wasn't being a PAL.

cyclingfool
05-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Unless they change the official forecast to 100% chance of sharknados, I'm riding tomorrow! :p

skins_brew
05-15-2014, 12:54 PM
I am probably going to wait to see what the weather actually is tomorrow morning, but if it is raining cats and dogs, I don't know. 20 miles is a long way...

I dont know why WABA does not have a rain date.....I get the gung ho attitude of "rain or shine," but if we get the rain they are saying we are going to get, there will hardly be anyone showing up.

cyclingfool
05-15-2014, 12:58 PM

From the sounds of it, she wouldn't last very long in tomorrow's weather conditions, even if an army of flying monkeys flew overhead with umbrellas.

Glinda, on the other hand, could just pop back into her rain cape, er, bubble and float along all nice and dry. :)

culimerc
05-15-2014, 12:58 PM
I am probably going to wait to see what the weather actually is tomorrow morning, but if it is raining cats and dogs, I don't know. 20 miles is a long way...

I dont know why WABA does not have a rain date.....I get the gung ho attitude of "rain or shine," but if we get the rain they are saying we are going to get, there will hardly be anyone showing up.

The reason is that this isnt a strictly local event, there are "sister" events going on all at the same time across the country.

cyclingfool
05-15-2014, 01:02 PM

I agree about the rain date, though I assume that there are serious logistical challenges involved that would make a rain date difficult to arrange.

It'll be sad if very few people show up tomorrow OTOH, it'll increase my odds in the raffles for prizes. After five years w/o winning anything, I may finally get lucky! :) My pit stop is supposed to have a nice Chrome messenger bag if nothing else. I'd be stoked out of my mind if I could score that.

dkel
05-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Just stopped by Bikenetic: they're going to be at the Falls Church stop no matter what the weather. I will be there to show my love.

vern
05-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Someone I work with just told me that I'm ill-prepared for riding in a rainstorm if my jacket isn't "long and goretex", which I found to be hilarious. I suggested that because of the current temperature and humidity, my skin would suffice as a protective layer.

cyclingfool
05-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Someone I work with just told me that I'm ill-prepared for riding in a rainstorm if my jacket isn't "long and goretex", which I found to be hilarious. I suggested that because of the current temperature and humidity, my skin would suffice as a protective layer.

Is this your coworker? If so, I understand the need for a long, goretex jacket. Otherwise, I agree, skin will suffice if that's the way you want to roll. Nothing a towel can't cure. :)

cephas
05-15-2014, 01:22 PM

Um, wouldn't you get in faster with a sail? I wonder how many knots you could do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mstone
05-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Um, wouldn't you get in faster with a sail? I wonder how many knots you could do...

it's more pro to use km/hr

PeteD
05-15-2014, 02:33 PM
it's more pro to use km/hr
Furlongs per fortnight, please.

consularrider
05-15-2014, 03:01 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only if you want to go to Oz.

ShawnoftheDread
05-15-2014, 03:01 PM
My pit stop is supposed to have a nice Chrome messenger bag if nothing else. I'd be stoked out of my mind if I could score that.

Umm, so what's your pit stop? Just wondering, no real reason.

KelOnWheels
05-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Umm, so what's your pit stop? Just wondering, no real reason.

That would be the Del Ray/VeloCity pit stop :D

cyclingfool
05-15-2014, 03:10 PM
That would be the Del Ray/VeloCity pit stop :D

DING! DING! DING! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! :D

mwhatley
05-15-2014, 03:33 PM
When is it safe to call it "Boat to Work Day"???

Cycle tracks be damned, I'm taking the Potomac River to work tomorrow!

Dirt
05-15-2014, 03:39 PM
New Blog Entry: It's okay to not ride in the rain. (http://lovemycommute.blogspot.com/2014/05/its-okay-to-not-ride-in-rain.html)

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8476/8138212265_a141488d87_b.jpg
Riding to work through Hurricane Sandy.

Greenbelt
05-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Worst video over -- just turn your computer sideways... Or your head

https://vimeo.com/52707229

Amalitza
05-15-2014, 06:15 PM
After much waffling and changing of plans and rechanging of plans, drove car home this evening leaving bike at work under the theory that riding 30 miles in a torrential downpour on mostly narrow roads in morning rush hour doesn't sound like all that much fun, but a possible lunchtime ride on the trail in light showers does.

This ought to ensure perfect riding conditions between 6 and 8:30 am tomorrow. :D You're welcome.

I *am* mad at myself for not just going ahead with a commute earlier in the week when tomorrow's forecast didn't look so great. :( Yesterday evening/this morning would have made for lovely commutes. oh, well, there will be next week.

cvcalhoun
05-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Although apparently Baltimore is postponing.

The reason is that this isnt a strictly local event, there are "sister" events going on all at the same time across the country.

cvcalhoun
05-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Somehow I agreed to bike from Bethesda to Silver Spring tonight. I'm thinking it must be because I think I need drowning practice before tomorrow?

peterw_diy
05-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Although apparently Baltimore is postponing.

Wimps. Seriously. This isn't a hurricane, it's just heavy rainfall.

Far too much of our MUP bike commuting infrastructure is very vulnerable to flooding. All this talk about bailing because it's gonna rain hard just reinforces the rotten notion that bikes are fair-weather toys. HTFU, folks, and show the region we don't retreat when it's wet.

Amalitza
05-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Or it reinforces the notion that commuting-by-bike doesn't have to be an all or nothing choice but is something you can do as often as you want to and still choose not to if and when you don't want to.

cvcalhoun
05-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Remember that "we" aren't the focus of BTWD. Sure, if you already biked to work every day last winter, this is nothing. But the focus of BTWD is to encourage people who haven't normally been commuting to work by bike to start. And if it's your first day of bike commuting, a downpour may not be the best day for it.

Wimps. Seriously. This isn't a hurricane, it's just heavy rainfall.

Far too much of our MUP bike commuting infrastructure is very vulnerable to flooding. All this talk about bailing because it's gonna rain hard just reinforces the rotten notion that bikes are fair-weather toys. HTFU, folks, and show the region we don't retreat when it's wet.

ShawnoftheDread
05-15-2014, 07:00 PM
There was a package waiting on my doorstep when I got home -- new rain gear!

peterw_diy
05-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Remember that "we" aren't the focus of BTWD. Sure, if you already biked to work every day last winter, this is nothing. But the focus of BTWD is to encourage people who haven't normally been commuting to work

From the perspective of something like BikeArlington that's right. But from the anti-"anticar" perspective, bikes aren't serious vehicles, they're summer toys for the rich and fourth-rate compromises for the poor and those convicted of DUIs. Cagers need to see cyclists smiling through the downpour tomorrow -- they're a far larger market than the bike-curious potential first-timers. Let's show them that rain is no big deal.

Emm
05-15-2014, 07:26 PM
My friend told me he just got an email from the BTWD people saying not to show up at his pit stop in SE DC if it's at all unsafe to bike in, and that they'd find an alternate date/time to distribute the teeshirts. I haven't heard anything from Rosslyn, so I'm assuming its still opening as planned...

PotomacCyclist
05-15-2014, 07:43 PM
From the perspective of something like BikeArlington that's right. But from the anti-"anticar" perspective, bikes aren't serious vehicles, they're summer toys for the rich and fourth-rate compromises for the poor and those convicted of DUIs. Cagers need to see cyclists smiling through the downpour tomorrow -- they're a far larger market than the bike-curious potential first-timers. Let's show them that rain is no big deal.

There's always going to be a hardcore group of bike haters. But I think they are less representative of people as time goes on, especially in Arlington and D.C. Moderate rain isn't a big deal, but heavy downpours can be a problem, and not just for cyclists. It's not unusual for such storms to result in more car accidents than usual. So I don't think it's that bad if some people think that heavy rain is a problem for cyclists. It is for many and it's going to be a deterrent for casual cyclists. It will also be a problem for many car drivers (partly because many of them are going to be driving too fast for the weather conditions).

As for me, on a regular day, I might bail out on riding with heavy rain. But since it's Bike to Work Day, I'll check out reports of flooding on the trails. If it's not too bad, I might go ahead. But if there are serious problems on the Mt. Vernon Trail, I'm not going to risk my health and safety just for the sake of any bike detractors who might be driving on the roads. I don't think others should do so either.

Fast Friendly Guy
05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Pushing my bike 8 miles in the rain? I think I'd be late to work :p

Sarah, you don't need to push, unless your bruised up like me!

Fast Friendly Guy
05-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Toto, we're not in Arlington any more!

Fast Friendly Guy
05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
There was a package waiting on my doorstep when I got home -- new rain gear!

Sheeeeeiiit! It mus' be da Rain Fairy!

DanB
05-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Saw this on arlnow.com today.

Is this what we should be expecting for tomorrow?

I think that guy must be 6'-6". I'm the one standing right next to him.

It's late, I'm going to get my SCUBA gear.

PotomacCyclist
05-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Remember that during heavy rain storms, the flow from storm sewers combines with the flow from the main sewer systems. The combined flow means that a lot of untreated sewage will flow into the Potomac River, the Anacostia River, Rock Creek and various streams and creeks. This happens even if there are no sewer line breaks.

From the D.C. Water and Sewer Authority:

Avoid Contact with Combined Sewer Overflows

DC Water is committed to improving the quality of water within the District of Columbia. Discharges may be dangerous to the public, due to the high flow of water that may exit these sewer outfalls. Potentially harmful substances may also be present in these discharges. The public is advised to stay away from any sewer pipe discharge.

For small rainfalls, the effects of CSOs typically last less than 24 hours. For larger rainfalls, greater than 1" of rain, the effects of CSO on water quality can last up to three days. Please note that the District of Columbia Department of Health has imposed a ban on swimming in all rivers and creeks in the District of Columbia and any contact with rivers and creeks immediately downstream of any sewer pipe discharge should be avoided.

http://www.dcwater.com/wastewater_collection/css/

PotomacCyclist
05-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Two to three inches of rain already, in Northern Virginia. Another 2 to 3 inches on the way by morning.

vern
05-16-2014, 04:02 AM
It is really nasty out there right now. I can't ride in this. I'm going to wait it out a bit and see what happens.

rcannon100
05-16-2014, 04:31 AM
I'm up. So is the storm. Apparently. Cant tell. Suns not up yet so I cant see it. 30 minute delay and then rainbows and kittens

PS Did you see that some VA School systems have closed cause of the rain?!?!?!

Fast Friendly Guy
05-16-2014, 04:34 AM
I say, "Quack, quack, quack!"

C'mon, you guys should just be thankful that you CAN ride! How do you think I feel...I've been waiting all year for today, I can barely move my arm and shoulder and it hurts so much you'd feel it standing next to me, I've watched my name plummet on the NBC leaderboards, and my wife is about to kill me because I even hinted that I might try to ride (just a little from the Metro) to get my T-shirt.

So quit yer bellyaching, put on a raincoat, and go get your swag! ...and don't forget to say hi to me when you get there (Rosslyn)

skins_brew
05-16-2014, 04:47 AM
It is really nasty out there right now. I can't ride in this. I'm going to wait it out a bit and see what happens.

i got up at like 4 something and it wasn't raining really. Showered, got bike clothes on, came downstairs, and its pourings. I have a little weather station outside and the windbird is just spinning. If I had a five mile ride, maybe, but 20...I dunno. Going to wait until like 6:15 and see it it lets up a bit before I throw the towel in.

GuyContinental
05-16-2014, 05:03 AM
RULE 5 BTWD!

Heading out, GB and I are supposed to lead a ride to Tysons. Spectacularly bad idea...

Brave souls rally in Rosslyn! (and then when your convoy of first time riders doesn't show up, come to Java Shack... bring a towel)

hozn
05-16-2014, 05:20 AM
Oh, maybe I will see you guys out there (you coming back/east). I figure I will wait a few minutes until the red radar blob moves from overhead. :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Emm
05-16-2014, 05:25 AM
Capital Weather Gang tweeted that the worst time for rain and wind is now through 7:15 am...so looks like I'll be at the Rosslyn stop around 7:20 ;). It went from light rain to a downpour pretty suddenly over here. I just hope the road isn't flooded.

cvcalhoun
05-16-2014, 05:26 AM
The Accuweather on my phone is assuring me that it is merely "cloudy" right now. Apparently the rain pounding on my roof and the river in my back yard are merely figments of my imagination.

DismalScientist
05-16-2014, 05:31 AM
The worst of it has past Westover. WSGFABR.

Fast Friendly Guy
05-16-2014, 05:35 AM
TEN things I like about this morning

1. I don't have to worry about wearing sunglasses
2. No bugs to get in my eyes and mouth
3. I get to see my friends
4. I get to feel a little bit rule 9ish
5. I talked Karen B into coming (the free T-shirt helped)
6. No matter how bad is it this morning it's going to make HH at Westover that much sweeter
7. I will get to hold this over the heads of anyone who doesn't show
8. It's not a ride (er...push) it's an adventure! I'm a pusher, and I like to push.
9. I kinda like soggy bagels
10. I know a hot shower waits at the end.

signed,
Stationary Missing Guy (formerly Fast Friendly Guy)

see

Fast Friendly Guy
05-16-2014, 05:37 AM
The worst of it has past Westover. WSGFABR.

Well, the worst may be a thing of the past

Brendan von Buckingham
05-16-2014, 05:38 AM
I'm just going to throw out there that bike commuting is the smart choice, so bike commuters are generally smart, reasonable people. I live at Lubber Run right before it joins Four Mile Run and I've never seen it roar so high before as I just saw now. It's actually whirlpooling and flowing backwards. Did I mention it's cold too? No way. WP's radar though does show promise that the train of rain might pass by DC's western burbs by 7:30. So maybe there's still a glimmer of hope.

DCLiz
05-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Got an email that the Capitol Hill - Eastern Market pit stop is postponed until next Friday.

creadinger
05-16-2014, 06:41 AM
I took these (FROM MY CAR) as I was heading in this morning around 7am.

4MR at Glebe Rd. I can't tell, but it appears as though the 4MR trail is likely flooded under Glebe and 395.

Be careful out there!

cvcalhoun
05-16-2014, 06:41 AM
I didn't get an e-mail. But the only evidence of the Bethesda pit stop is one sign on the ground.

skins_brew
05-16-2014, 06:54 AM
I didn't get an e-mail. But the only evidence of the Bethesda pit stop is one sign on the ground.

That is pretty dismal.

I threw in the towel and drove to College Park Metro. As I was "waiting for it to clear up" before I committed to driving, I could hear multiple firetrucks/ambulances/police sirens off in the distance and told myself BTWD is not worth dying over.

I commute via bike on most days, so i won't lose any sleep over it. I will be back at it on Monday.

Emm
05-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Rosslyn had a crowd, although small. Plenty of bagels and coffee for everyone.

The volunteers were nice and offered me a second swag bag, which is awesome because my boyfriend broke his chain so he cant make it to his pit stop in Alexandria. He'll be officially representing bike Arlington with his new vest, bag, water bottle and hat now ;)

I love the roadside assistance kit and the surviving a crash book they were giving out. Very useful to have.

hozn
05-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Was disappointed that there was no Vienna stop (where I was registered) or Reston Town Center. Pleasant ride, though, so I shouldn't complain.

colleen
05-16-2014, 07:32 AM
I took these (FROM MY CAR) as I was heading in this morning around 7am.

4MR at Glebe Rd. I can't tell, but it appears as though the 4MR trail is likely flooded under Glebe and 395.

Be careful out there!

Wow, those pictures are enough to convince me I made the right choice driving today, even though I was really looking forward to BTWD. So many trails are adjacent to streams with the potential for flash flooding, it just isn't worth the risk.

Fast Friendly Guy
05-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Wet and wild
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/hyba4a6e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/age4ydug.jpg

rolo
05-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Was disappointed that there was no Vienna stop (where I was registered) or Reston Town Center. Pleasant ride, though, so I shouldn't complain.

Spokes and Vienna Bikes were in the Wholefoods parking lot. Stopped and got my T-shirt. I was surprised the number of cyclists on the trail this morning. Difficult Run was an sight to behold this morning, wasn't it?

hozn
05-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Oh that was them? I saw the van, bit did not look like they were doing registration/tshirts. Damn, I want my t-shirt. Oh well.

GuyContinental
05-16-2014, 07:53 AM
6:30 and GB and I were 15 and 16 on the counter... Really really nasty until about 7.

No idea how to rotate that...

jamilkb
05-16-2014, 07:56 AM
DC Freedom Plaza was kinda :(...
I walked over from the office in attempts to get my T-Shirt....nothing but a small group gathered around some guy giving some kinda speech.....
Turned and walked back to the office... :(
Oh well....
I DO wonder where the T-Shirts are though...

vern
05-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Yup, 4MR flooded in usual places. WOD flooded at Wilson and Carlin Springs underpasses - when I went through Carlin Springs about 7:15 the water was crotch deep when I forded through it. That said, it was a good, fun ride.

jrenaut
05-16-2014, 08:03 AM
I walked over from the office in attempts to get my T-Shirt....nothing but a small group gathered around some guy giving some kinda speech.....
Oh well....
Freedom Plaza t-shirts are in the Circulator bus parked just north of the tents.

I rode out to Rosslyn to meet americancyclo who stood me up. So I took the long way to Freedom Plaza and then went to work because I was cold.

cvcalhoun
05-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Georgetown Waterfront was open.

jamilkb
05-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Freedom Plaza t-shirts are in the Circulator bus parked just north of the tents.

I rode out to Rosslyn to meet americancyclo who stood me up. So I took the long way to Freedom Plaza and then went to work because I was cold.
Aww man...
Guess I shoulda asked someone...

83(b)
05-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Oh well....

They're staying dry in a bus parked in front of the National Theater. Head back over and grab yours!

jamilkb
05-16-2014, 08:14 AM
They're staying dry in a bus parked in front of the National Theater. Head back over and grab yours!

I'm just now drying off from the initial walk over :(
I'll just have to miss out this year

dkel
05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Rockford10 and I rolled out with our older son just before 7:00 and hit the officially-closed Falls Church stop, where I got a donut and a $20 gift card to Bikenetic (though no BTWD shirt)! Dropped our son off at school, and went out to East Falls Church where we got "Bike to Metro, Metro to Work" shirts (not the BTWD shirt!) and free Kryptonite U locks, even though we weren't registered there! Then back by the Falls Church stop where we met our younger son with Granddad on their ride in. Merrifield got us coffee and bagel, then Rockford split off to go to Tysons, and I hit the Vienna stop (which I almost didn't see back in the Whole Foods parking lot) for more coffee and a water bottle. It barely rained at all except right as we started out. So massive score on swag, pleasant ride, and hopefully we'll get our BTWD shirts when Falls Church reschedules their event (which they promise to do).

lordofthemark
05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
We few, we happy few

Canal Park stop was open - the tables were dry, they put them in the spot next to Park Tavern under the walkway.

I had intended to get up early and do Crystal City as well. But rose. got discouraged, decided to give up, and go back to bed. Couldn't sleep, went down to make coffee, opened the door "Its not THAT bad" and decided to bike it. But it was now later so I skipped CC and went straight to Canal Park.

There were almost a dozen cyclists there by the time I left - I was the only cyclist when I arrived, but I forgot to ask if anyone had come by earlier.

I got my shirt, a patch kit, and a water bottle. As well as a muffin, appled and a bottle of water.

Terpfan
05-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Old Town was underneath the City Hall spot and at a little before 7am, I think there was like 8 of us folks who rode into it. Spokes gave me a $10 gift card, got a buy one/get one free chipotle burrito, my btwd shirt, some coffee, and a banana. Of course I'm there for 2 of the drawings (i think every 15 minutes) and they pull 76 and 78 out of three prizes. I had 77, haha. So I just gave it to a woman standing next to me who rode in and was waiting for someone--rather another rider win.

lordofthemark
05-16-2014, 08:22 AM

That would probably have been my boss, Sec of Transportation Foxx - he was supposed to ride back to the HQ, but apparently did not.

cvcalhoun
05-16-2014, 08:29 AM
A friend tells me Friendship Heights was open. But my concession to the weather was to go down the CCT, not Wisconsin Avenue, so I didn't check it out personally.

Apparently the 23rd and Pennsylvania people got moved to Georgetown Waterfront.

Terpfan
05-16-2014, 08:32 AM
RULE 5 BTWD!

Heading out, GB and I are supposed to lead a ride to Tysons. Spectacularly bad idea...

Brave souls rally in Rosslyn! (and then when your convoy of first time riders doesn't show up, come to Java Shack... bring a towel)

So there I was sitting there in bed thinking, ride, don't ride, ride, don't ride. I open up this thread and I'm leaning don't ride then suddenly I see this post, Rule 5. That was the motivating factor.

But I should warn others that the MVT (not surprisingly) has some areas where the Potomac has crested--usual spots just north of OT by the little hill with a curve, a little by Gravely Pt, and then fairly significantly in stretch leading up to Memorial Bridge but before the boardwalk. I think the worst will be around now since high tide is 9am something.

Also, where are the afternoon stops on the way home? I feel like maybe I can snag some of the cool swag that other folks got like another lock--never mind, saw other thread about it.

brendan
05-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Erin and I rode the ten-ish blocks down to Busboys & Poets (Mt. Vernon Triangle) BTWD stop. Had coffee, got shirts and swag ziplock baggie, discussed keene bike sandals and the weather (of course) and then biked...back home, since today is a work-from-home day for us (beach trip this afternoon).

My second BTWD, and the first one where I got in early enough to get a t-shirt. :)

B

Fast Friendly Guy
05-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Rockford10 and I rolled out with our older son just before 7:00 and hit the officially-closed Falls Church stop, where I got a donut and a $20 gift card to Bikenetic (though no BTWD shirt)! Dropped our son off at school, and went out to East Falls Church where we got "Bike to Metro, Metro to Work" shirts (not the BTWD shirt!) and free Kryptonite U locks, even though we weren't registered there! Then back by the Falls Church stop where we met our younger son with Granddad on their ride in. Merrifield got us coffee and bagel, then Rockford split off to go to Tysons, and I hit the Vienna stop (which I almost didn't see back in the Whole Foods parking lot) for more coffee and a water bottle. It barely rained at all except right as we started out. So massive score on swag, pleasant ride, and hopefully we'll get our BTWD shirts when Falls Church reschedules their event (which they promise to do).

Excellent! Congratulations on your bounty--Wow, a Kryptonite U-Lock! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy (and wife) (and kids) (and Granddad)

jtcallahan
05-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Well I made it from Mt. Vernon to Fairfax for 28 miles. I left home at 5:15 and rode through the last of the worst weather in the first hour. By the time I got halfway it was tapering off and was pretty much done for the last 45min of the ride. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

Check out the Fairfax County Parkway just north of Backlick Rd!

ERandall
05-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Things were hoppin' over in Rosslyn!

Happy BTWD everyone!

Riley Casey
05-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Silver Spring stop was going strong at 8:15 am. The rain had slackened substantially by then from the torrents of 7 am. Looked like a smaller turn out of exhibiters than last year, kind of matching the lower turn out of riders but it did mean that everyone fit under the Discovery building overhang and had a 'relatively' dry space. Many of the usual suspects hung in like Silver Cycles, WABA and the County Police. Whole Foods had better coffee there than they serve in the store. Not sure how that works, perhaps it just tastes better on BTWD - when one is all wet after not finding his rain pants.

Happy BTWDay to all and to all a better BTWD happy hour!

SarahK
05-16-2014, 08:48 AM
So glad I rode today! The rain wasn't half as bad as I was expecting, and it was so cool to see all the other brave souls at the Rockville Town Square pit stop!

cephas
05-16-2014, 08:52 AM
So glad I rode today! The rain wasn't half as bad as I was expecting, and it was so cool to see all the other brave souls at the Rockville Town Square pit stop!

agreed! Call me a pessimist, but I was expecting torrentials.

mstone
05-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Woke up at 5, looked out the window, went back to bed. Left the house maybe 6:30 or so. I was actually pretty dry for the first 18 miles or so, then the clouds opened up about the time I got on the custis from the W&OD. I'm bummed that I didn't get a patch kit, but I did get my t-shirt.

rcannon100
05-16-2014, 08:56 AM
It was torrential before 7 am.

Saw many brave souls at Rosslyn! Pictures coming (didnt not bring my machine in with me today for fear of Noah). Excellent job to BA which was out since 5 am! Braving the nastiness musta not been fun. By 9 am almost all the staff was doing the BoatToWorkDay dance to keep warm.

bobco85
05-16-2014, 08:57 AM
I went first to the Rosslyn pit stop where I ran into GB and GuyContinental. After stocking up on swag, taking a couple of pictures, getting a $10 credit added to my ZipCar account (awesome!), and thanking everyone for being there in the downpour, I headed onto the Custis toward East Falls Church. Along the way, there was a tree down (thank you to the cyclists who warned me as I was approaching it, I passed the favor on to others as well) on the Custis trail near where it passes underneath the 21st Street bridge in McCoy Park. People biking the other way on the Custis trail seemed to be smiling on their commute, either that or gritting their teeth in the storm.

When I made it to the East Falls Church stop, the rain was no longer in monsoon mode and had become more moderate. The pit stop there was just at the entrance, shielded from the rain by the I-66 and train overpasses. Sponsored by WMATA, they had 2 tables, one with Metro goodies including lights and bags, and the other run by the Metro police that were giving free Kryptonite U-locks (not bad) if you registered your bike with them (I did so, making me registered both with Metro police and Arlington County).

Next stop: Ballston. I took the W&OD to the Bluemont Junction trail to see more of Four Mile Run, and it had become rapids in a couple of areas. The underpass at Wilson Blvd was heavily flooded, so I opted to cross Wilson Blvd (not too bad). At the corner of Quincy/Wilson Blvd, I swear that was Dickie who gave me a thumbs up as he headed onto Quincy while I was waiting at the light to turn onto Wilson Blvd to get to the Ballston pit stop. Picked up my t-shirt and some more swag, but sadly my ride was over as I biked the last 2 blocks to my workplace (it was fun, though).

Best part is that my work clothes (triple-bagged in plastic bags) were completely dry and my rain jacket and new rain pants kept me dry. Okay, that was the second best part. The best part really was getting to bike this morning in the rain and seeing all the other craz- er, cool, people ;)

silent_chief
05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
My pit stop was closed! (Takoma Park Gazebo) What are the alternatives for me? I really want to keep my t-shirt streak alive!

jamilkb
05-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Also..what is this "Rule#5" people keep mentioning???

rcannon100
05-16-2014, 09:01 AM
My pit stop was closed! (Takoma Park Gazebo) What are the alternatives for me? I really want to keep my t-shirt streak alive!

"Mirroring the after work, bike-commuter social scene, this year's Bike To Work Day will include five evening “pit stops,” with food, drink and other amusements. According to Douglas Franklin of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, “this year we have expanded the afternoon pit stops from two to [five]! Small number of events but I like the percentage increase!” Official afternoon pit stops are at East Falls Church, Silver Spring, College Park, Columbia Heights and the Georgetown Waterfront. Most afternoon stops open at 4 pm. See www.biketoworkmetrodc.org for details

rcannon100
05-16-2014, 09:11 AM

It's a mental illness. Dont stand too close to the people who keep uttering it over and over and over and over or you might contract it as well. The cure is lengthy and involves deprogramming (sorta like Clockwork Orange). My recommendations is to go on a nice bike ride during a wonderful day to a coffee house, enjoy yourself, and realize that the reason your are riding a bicycle is cause it is fun.

Rule 6. If you arenít having fun, stop.

Terpfan
05-16-2014, 09:12 AM

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Basically, don't be a wuss. I'm refraining from the actual language, but the link will clarify that for you.

ERandall
05-16-2014, 09:16 AM

http://rule5.org/

jamilkb
05-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Ahh..ok thanks for filling me in. Never heard of that list of rules.
silly.
Oh well.

DanB
05-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Saw this right before the Lee Hwy bridge over I-66.

Then I stayed at the Rosslyn pit stop too long and got the chills. Thank goodness for the warm shower at work!

drevil
05-16-2014, 09:19 AM
I tried to go under the train tracks in the corner of Lake Artemesia at ~7:20 am. There was water, but I thought I'd give it a try. Three seconds in, both wheels were completely under water... <sigh>

I hung out at the College Park stop before riding in with my co-worker. We got to Freedom Plaza around 9:15 and almost everything was broken down... <sigh>

I got my BTWD shirt though! <smile>

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/14195444041_e027e4e53f_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nCpmXc)
Bike to Work Day 2014 (https://flic.kr/p/nCpmXc) by bundokbiker (https://www.flickr.com/people/18218148@N00/), on Flickr

sethpo
05-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Nice! I got to Rockville around 7:10 and hung around for about 15 minutes. In the end, it really wasn't a bad ride at all. I've ridden through much worse. Light rain only. No wind. No flooding on my alternate route (avoid Bradley Ave!!) and no problems on the CCT at all. I think we (or at least I) got lucky w/ the timing of the storm with the worst blowing out by about 6:30-7am.

I ended up hitting four pit stops: Rockville. Bethesda. Georgetown and Freedom Plaza (pics on IG (http://instagram.com/cctravails)). Fun stuff.

Great work and effort by all the volunteers! I definitely would rather be riding than standing around all morning.

My co-worker (lives in Gaithersburg) who I was going to shepard on his first bike to work commute bailed but we're going to have a makeup day for him next week.

This also marks my one year anniversary of becoming a legit bike commuter. Bike to Work 2013 got me going and showed me what's possible. 6,000 miles later I'm addicted.

Vicegrip
05-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Bike home from work day is looking good!

consularrider
05-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Bike home from work day is looking good!
Do I see patches of blue sky?

Dickie
05-16-2014, 09:59 AM
At the corner of Quincy/Wilson Blvd, I swear that was Dickie who gave me a thumbs up as he headed onto Quincy while I was waiting at the light to turn onto Wilson Blvd to get to the Ballston pit stop.

Yep, that was me... good to see you this morning!

Vicegrip
05-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Do I see patches of blue sky?

In Tyson's it is blue sky with a few wispy high clouds. Lovely day for a bike ride

DanB
05-16-2014, 10:29 AM
...and don't forget to say hi to me when you get there (Rosslyn)

Sorry I missed you! The swag and ankle-deep puddles distracted me.

dkel
05-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Am I the only one who got one of these shirts?

My wife got the BTWD shirt from the same stop. It's cool that I got the alternate shirt (even though I don't take Metro to work)!

ERandall
05-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Is that from east falls church?

Somehow I missed that station. But it appears there will be one this afternoon also in the area, but not hosted by WMATA. Oh well.

dasgeh
05-16-2014, 11:29 AM
After a very long couple months at work (which ended yesterday -- happy dance), the family was not recovered enough to get out early this morning. We made it for the tail end of Rosslyn, and it was great to see so many smiling, friendly faces.

I also wanted to say a HUGE thank you to all the pit stop volunteers, and an extra high five to all of the volunteers who talked up Kidical Mass Arlington. It's really awesome that family biking, and especially Kidical Mass, has so much support from the cycling community around here. Thank you.

And we may have a ton of people at the Kidical Mass Arlington ride to Taste of Arlington this Sunday, meeting at 11am at Lacey Woods Park (http://kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com/2014/05/may-18-2014-taste-of-kidical.html). We'd love for you to join us. Especially if you'll be alone on your bike and are willing to help shepard the kidical masses and/or take pictures.

dasgeh
05-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Oh, and I'd really love it if Arlington did another event next Friday, maybe just in Rosslyn, to entice those who didn't want to float out today...

jamilkb
05-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Can someone post a pic of the official 2014 BTWD shirt? Would at least like to know what I missed out on :)

Terpfan
05-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Can someone post a pic of the official 2014 BTWD shirt? Would at least like to know what I missed out on :)

back

cyclingfool
05-16-2014, 11:51 AM
http://rule5.org/

I love that Rule #5 has its own website and domain name.

Terpfan
05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Front

Wrinkly from folding into bag. Also, sorry, no idea how to rotate it.

Amalitza
05-16-2014, 11:54 AM
By the time (7:45) I left for work in my car, it was raining, but not too hard certainly not too heavy to ride in. Judging from the sound of the rain outside my window as I was still in bed, and from the amount of water on the roads, it was raining quite a bit harder when I would have been heading out on my bike, though. There was enough water still on the roads that driving past larger vehicles was a bit unpleasant. I donít think it would have been much fun being passed repeatedly (and at times too closely) by cars and trucks while on my bike.

Splashing through puddles and minor flooding on the trail at lunch time, on the other hand, was awesomely fun. :cool:;) I am not regretting my decision at all. Even without a t shirt.

cyclingfool
05-16-2014, 12:17 PM
My BTWD AM riding was a two parter. I hit the Del Ray pitstop from 6:30 until just after 7. I got my t-shirt and patch kit, a banana, coffee, and several coconut waters to take home, but won nothing in either of the two raffles I was around for - a u-lock and a rear pannier rack. It was pouring down rain, most of the time, but there was a steady population of 5-6 riders milling around during the time I was there. Respectable given the weather and the fact that it's a new pit stop for this year.

Then I headed home so we could take cyclingfool, jr. to a doctor's appointment at 8. Back from the appointment and another stop we made while we were out in the car, my wife offered to drive me to work, but I pointed out that would be blasphemy on BTWD, especially since the rain had stopped. So I got on my bike around 10:30 for the actual "to work" part of BTWD. The breeze was picking up and drying stuff out, and I took the long way to work through Long Bridge Park, past the Pentagon and the marina by the LBJ Memorial. Much nicer than the ride would have been three or four hours earlier.

I was pleased to see so many cyclists out respecting rule #5 all morning long. We're a dedicated bunch. :D

dkel
05-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Is that from east falls church?

The Metro shirt was from East Falls Church. I'm not sure why I got that shirt, because my wife got the same bag of swag at the same time, and hers was a BTWD shirt. Not disappointed, though: I should get my BTWD shirt when they reschedule the Falls Church stop (if I can't score one at East Falls church this afternoon).

Subby
05-16-2014, 12:46 PM
They should have a design contest for next year's BTWD shirt. Not that I don't appreciate the shirt, I do. Just think you are missing a fun opportunity to make something cool and interesting, sourced from the community.

dasgeh
05-16-2014, 12:49 PM
they should have a design contest for next year's btwd shirt. Not that i don't appreciate the shirt, i do. Just think you are missing a fun opportunity to make something cool and interesting, sourced from kids.

ftfy

dkel
05-16-2014, 12:58 PM
sourced from kids.

Speaking of which, did anyone besides my family make BTWD a #kidical ride? I know my older son loved getting props from the Bikenetic crew (and a donut): made him feel like he was exemplifying Rule 5 and Rule 9 (yes, he knows what both of those mean).

Rockford10
05-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Yep - I've ended up with 2 BTWD shirts, but remember our family of 5 set out this morning looking for goodies and I think we only have a total of 2 BTWD shirts right now. I also ended up with water bottles, blinkies, a U lock, a bandana, a lot of wet clothes and an imprint of my pedal on my leg. FABB tweeted this picture of phatboing and me in Tysons (he caught me going up Gallows). Then my office re-tweeted it. Keeping it classy.

dasgeh
05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Speaking of which, did anyone besides my family make BTWD a #kidical ride? I know my older son loved getting props from the Bikenetic crew (and a donut): made him feel like he was exemplifying Rule 5 and Rule 9 (yes, he knows what both of those mean).

Yep. I set out with the whole family to Rosslyn. The kids were comfy under the rain cover in the bakfiets -- until they stepped in the swamp around the tables. There were some moments.

Oh, and Buck (the Bullitt guy) was there with a kid, and I'm pretty sure I saw 2 other parent-kid combos while we were there.

americancyclo
05-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Some guy in a poncho was chasing around his daughter who was having a blast on her bike.

Brendan von Buckingham
05-16-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm just going to throw out there that bike commuting is the smart choice, so bike commuters are generally smart, reasonable people. I live at Lubber Run right before it joins Four Mile Run and I've never seen it roar so high before as I just saw now. It's actually whirlpooling and flowing backwards. Did I mention it's cold too? No way. WP's radar though does show promise that the train of rain might pass by DC's western burbs by 7:30. So maybe there's still a glimmer of hope.

Screw that. The rain paused for 10 minutes at 7:45 so I hit the bike. Then it started to pour again. Only a couple people at the Canal Park Pit stop at 3rd and M Street SE, but the volunteers were able to set up under some steps so they had decent cover.

And maybe it's not that God hates bicycles, but that God hates guns. Memorial Avenue is the road that connects Memorial Bridge with Arlington Cemetery. Where it crosses crosses the channel west of the circle is the District/Virginia line. DC government set up crowd control barriers at the border and blocking the sidewalk. The barriers had signs warning people of DC's statutes against certain types of guns. Apparently a gun rights group was planning a march on Washington today. They had eight people.

mstone
05-16-2014, 02:32 PM
I think that's called a "companionable stroll" rather than a "march".

lordofthemark
05-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Screw that. The rain paused for 10 minutes at 7:45 so I hit the bike. Then it started to pour again. Only a couple people at the Canal Park Pit stop at 3rd and M Street SE, but the volunteers were able to set up under some steps so they had decent cover.

When were you there? I was the short middle-aged dude in the blue windbreaker and drenched khaki pants with the Kona Dew, I was there about 8:45 or so.

bobco85
05-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Some pics from today's Bike to Work Monsoon Day

me and GB (we are coworkers) at the Rosslyn pit stop being photobombed by another cyclist - note that one of us is dry and warm in his rain gear whereas the other is shivering because he wasn't prepared ;)

Mother Nature was determined to stop cyclists from riding today - tree down on the Custis trail (top) and Four Mile Run flooding in the Wilson Blvd underpass on the W&OD (bottom)

East Falls Church pit stop, sheltered from the rain by the overpass - main table with Metro goodie bags (top) and Metro police table giving out free U-locks to those who registered their bikes (bottom)

Ballston pit stop, hosted by Freshbikes

successfully keeping my work clothes dry by triple-bagging them (top) - the loot from 3 pit stops (bottom)

Alright, picture portion finished, it's time to head to Westover for the BTWDHH!

rcannon100
05-16-2014, 08:05 PM
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2905/14199478682_02a62aa35b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5576/14222125523_6a589a08bf.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2909/14015359250_6c0c430f79.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/14201981895_56318b4593.jpg

rcannon100
05-16-2014, 08:06 PM
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14015361490_0b82f36b9d.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2924/14198703821_3b970f32a5.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2897/14199484612_3ede1af39d.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2905/14178854756_ee78e8ae30.jpg

rcannon100
05-16-2014, 08:07 PM
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5153/14015331378_8ebea47043.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2906/14222134553_bf45c153f0.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14178856866_0b0c0fd5f8.jpg

Steve O
05-17-2014, 02:37 AM
Ballston pit stop, hosted by Freshbikes

I was recruited to volunteer at Ballston, starting at 5:30am. At 5:15 the sky opened and it was pouring. My wife asked if I really needed to do this. I would have felt guilty not knowing if they would have enough volunteers. I opted to not bring my 2002-2013 complete set t-shirt collection, since that was just more to carry, and I didn't expect a lot of people to ooh and aah over it.

Well, the Ballston stop had plenty of volunteers--more than necessary for the pared down effort. We had no cyclists, though. I had to leave about 7:15. By then I think maybe 10 cyclists had shown up. Hopefully more came later. Compared to last year, it felt kind of sad and pathetic. Sounds like there was better swag at Rosslyn.

Steve O
05-17-2014, 02:42 AM
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5153/14015331378_8ebea47043.jpg

One of these is not like the others.

Fast Friendly Guy
05-17-2014, 05:25 AM

Okay, Steve,...I'll bite! -

Only one:

-is wearing black
-works on Capitol Hill
-has a dislocated shoulder and a half acre of road rash hidden tastefully under jacket and pants

Fast Friendly Guy
05-17-2014, 05:47 AM
They should have a design contest for next year's BTWD shirt. Not that I don't appreciate the shirt, I do. Just think you are missing a fun opportunity to make something cool and interesting, sourced from the community.

The 'car free' table at Rosslyn was giving some very cool black T-shirts with a jumble of small white writing listing all the ways to manage without a car--when you stepped back the writing jumble merges into a white bike against the black background.

Riley Casey
05-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Now thats a covet.

The 'car free' table at Rosslyn was giving some very cool black T-shirts with a jumble of small white writing listing all the ways to manage without a car--when you stepped back the writing jumble merges into a white bike against the black background.

PotomacCyclist
05-17-2014, 10:03 AM

And maybe it's not that God hates bicycles, but that God hates guns. Memorial Avenue is the road that connects Memorial Bridge with Arlington Cemetery. Where it crosses crosses the channel west of the circle is the District/Virginia line. DC government set up crowd control barriers at the border and blocking the sidewalk. The barriers had signs warning people of DC's statutes against certain types of guns. Apparently a gun rights group was planning a march on Washington today. They had eight people.

That would explain why I saw a couple grumpy-looking older guys (scruffy beards, beer bellies, unkempt appearance) with "Impeach Obama" signs walking down an escalator yesterday. Actually they were blocking the escalator by standing side-by-side. I don't care if people have differing political or social opinions, but the "impeach" stuff just gets old (unless a president has actually committed an impeachable offense).

And yes, it does mean that I didn't bike all the way to work yesterday. I did bike back in the evening, on CaBi, although I had more difficulty finding a bike downtown than usual.

PotomacCyclist
05-17-2014, 10:04 AM

Pics or it didn't happen...

Yep - I've ended up with 2 BTWD shirts, but remember our family of 5 set out this morning looking for goodies and I think we only have a total of 2 BTWD shirts right now. I also ended up with water bottles, blinkies, a U lock, a bandana, a lot of wet clothes and an imprint of my pedal on my leg. FABB tweeted this picture of phatboing and me in Tysons (he caught me going up Gallows). Then my office re-tweeted it. Keeping it classy.

I've been at non-BTWD events where they were handing out leftover BTWD T-shirts from previous years. I picked up a few last year and gave them to nieces and nephews.

PotomacCyclist
05-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Am I the only one who got one of these shirts?

My wife got the BTWD shirt from the same stop. It's cool that I got the alternate shirt (even though I don't take Metro to work)!

I didn't see that shirt. But I actually did bike to (BTWD then) Metro, then biked back home. (On CaBi, which is why I can take one-way bike trips like that. I do that fairly often.)

cvcalhoun
05-17-2014, 09:03 PM
The good news for today is that my bike seems to have recovered from my attempt to use it as a river vehicle through Rock Creek. Yesterday, my wheel lights were refusing to turn off, which I suspected had to do with their having been shorted out due to being immersed right up to the axle when I tried to pedal the bicycle over a section of Rock Creek Trail which had gotten overflowed by Rock Creek. However, they seem to have resumed normal functioning today.

Steve O
05-17-2014, 09:29 PM

Okay, Steve,...I'll bite! -

Only one:

-is wearing black
-works on Capitol Hill
-has a dislocated shoulder and a half acre of road rash hidden tastefully under jacket and pants

Answer: One is standing around in a t-shirt in a freaking monsoon.

vern
05-17-2014, 10:16 PM
The good news for today is that my bike seems to have recovered from my attempt to use it as a river vehicle through Rock Creek. Yesterday, my wheel lights were refusing to turn off, which I suspected had to do with their having been shorted out due to being immersed right up to the axle when I tried to pedal the bicycle over a section of Rock Creek Trail which had gotten overflowed by Rock Creek. However, they seem to have resumed normal functioning today.

I popped a spoke this morning which I'm blaming on the weather yesterday morning, even though the two are likely not connected. But I've got to blame something!

mstone
05-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Answer: One is standing around in a t-shirt in a freaking monsoon.

I took my raincoat off early on. It wasn't very cold, and it was wetter inside than outside.

bobco85
05-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Here's my video of Bike to Work Day 2014 - Monsoon Ride:

http://youtu.be/oXkQ2R1IDr8

Contrast this year with last year: http://youtu.be/cDcRV-u7Ijk

I also realized from making the video that there were a lot more people that I did not recognize at first that morning that I now think, "Oh, that was [insert name]! How did I miss them?" and remember that it was early in the morning, way before my ability-to-recognize-people ability even kicks in.

cvcalhoun
05-18-2014, 06:18 PM
So how did you get through that stretch of trail at 2:15?

Here's my video of Bike to Work Day 2014 - Monsoon Ride:

http://youtu.be/oXkQ2R1IDr8

Contrast this year with last year: http://youtu.be/cDcRV-u7Ijk

I also realized from making the video that there were a lot more people that I did not recognize at first that morning that I now think, "Oh, that was [insert name]! How did I miss them?" and remember that it was early in the morning, way before my ability-to-recognize-people ability even kicks in.

bobco85
05-18-2014, 07:46 PM
So how did you get through that stretch of trail at 2:15?

I had to cross Wilson Blvd the old-fashioned way (before this underpass was made) using an at-grade crossing (not the nearby pedestrian-activated one which is even newer than the underpass). If you pause at 1:59, you can see the trail going off to the right where you'll go straight across Wilson Blvd next to where North Manchester Street intersects and you can rejoin the trail from the other side. Although it didn't take too long to find a gap in traffic, being at the bottom of a valley was not ideal when dealing with speeding drivers in wet conditions!