PDA

View Full Version : Missed connection

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

baiskeli
05-09-2011, 08:05 AM
This is my version of a "missed connection" post...

You: headphones, no helmet passing me on the right in the bike lane on Clarendon Blvd. the morning of May 9 about 8 am.

Me: riding safely as usual

You should call your damn passes - especially when passing on the right. I could have swerved right into you.

Dumbass.

CCrew
05-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Gotta love it don't you? Some real tools out there.

I do a bi-modal commute car from Winchester to Reston then bike to downtown DC.

Mine was the one at 2:15 this morning wearing jeans and a dark tshirt, no lights, no reflectors no helmet riding his MTB down the right lane on Rt 7 in Sterling when I was inbound. Almost turned him into a hood ornament.

acc
05-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Wow, what a combination: No helmet, headphones, AND passing on the right - seriously, it makes all my prep seem paranoid and insane (not necessarily in that order). My helmet is the first thing I look for, I wish I could listen to music but I don't think it's safe. Passing, if I'm so lucky, is always on the left. I review every ride afterwards and think about the decisions I made and what could be improved.

As for the hood ornament, well geez, something that big would probably be hell on your gas mileage.

All jokes aside, please be safe.

acc

eminva
05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Since the weather got warmer, I've seen some crazy stuff on the trails/streets, and I'm wondering whether any of you try to do any "education" in a constructive manner with other cyclists. On the one hand, I want to encourage anyone who decides to get on a bike. On the other hand, I often observe someone just having a narrow miss (or about to have one) and is completely oblivious. I'm sometimes tempted to say something (assuming the chance doesn't pass too quickly), and I would try to do it in my stern-but-friendly-mother persona rather than crazy-dragon-lady guise. So far I've been unable to think of a way to offer anything that would be constructive and well-received. Maybe there isn't any way to do it. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Liz

baiskeli
05-09-2011, 10:12 AM
I was going to "educate" this guy but he turned off a different way before I could catch him and it wasn't worth chasing him.

I've "educated" people before though - like the guy who once passed me on the right as I was also being passed on the left and veering to the right to make room. I usually emphasize that what the offender did was unsafe for the him/her as well as me.

I still remember seeing some hotdog on a mountain bike years ago on the Mt. V on one of these sunny spring days. There was a crowd, so she decided she wanted to pass on the right, in the grass--she did have a mountain bike after all, and those people can't wait to get into the dirt. She ran right into a rock hidden in the grass and popped her tire wide open.

PotomacCyclist
05-15-2011, 03:05 PM
I saw a young guy (early 20s?) on the MVT last summer sitting up, no hands on the handlebars, holding a cellphone to his ear, and riding on the wrong side of the trail. I noticed this because he was heading straight for me (since I was riding on the correct side of the trail). Fortunately I was able to shout at him to wake up and get his attention. He put his hands back on the handlebar and moved over to his right.

For some reason, my first thought was that he was a summer congressional intern who had only been in town for a couple weeks.

acc
05-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Bahaha! I remember them well. I probably would have thought the same. The Dems had an earring and longish hair, the Republicans had very short hair (males). ;-)

Happy trails,
Ann

baiskeli
05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Bahaha! I remember them well. I probably would have thought the same. The Dems had an earring and longish hair, the Republicans had very short hair (males). ;-)

Happy trails,
Ann

Republicans ride bikes?

brendan
05-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Republicans ride bikes?

Yup, some even bike commute! http://www.commutebybike.com/2011/05/09/on-parking-and-bikeshare-not-all-republicans-think-alike-if-at-all/

:)

Brendan

DismalScientist
05-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I've never thought the bicycling community is particularly well served by introducing politics, and especially partisan politics, into its advocacy. My views are certainly closer to the Republicans than the Democrats. The biggest bicycle advocate in the upcoming presidential race is likely Gary Johnson.

PotomacCyclist
05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Ray LaHood is a lifelong Republican, although he's currently the Secretary of Transportation in a Democratic administration. LaHood is perhaps the single most important individual in the U.S. today in terms of bike policy and bike infrastructure funding. He has been a very visible supporter of cycling. He has been pushing the government to give equal consideration to cyclists and pedestrians when designing and building new transportation infrastructure. As the Secretary of Transportation, he has a mighty big role to play.

Of course, he doesn't carry out every project design and funding decision himself. But he has proven himself to be a major supporter of cycling in the U.S. and maybe the most important person for bicycling in the U.S. over the past few years.

baiskeli
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Ray LaHood is a lifelong Republican, although he's currently the Secretary of Transportation in a Democratic administration. LaHood is perhaps the single most important individual in the U.S. today in terms of bike policy and bike infrastructure funding. He has been a very visible supporter of cycling. He has been pushing the government to give equal consideration to cyclists and pedestrians when designing and building new transportation infrastructure. As the Secretary of Transportation, he has a mighty big role to play.

Of course, he doesn't carry out every project design and funding decision himself. But he has proven himself to be a major supporter of cycling in the U.S. and maybe the most important person for bicycling in the U.S. over the past few years.

Okay, good point.

But does he ride?

PotomacCyclist
05-18-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't know. It's not important. It's hard to see how LaHood could be any more of a supporter of cycling than he already is. He is helping to make current and future streets, bridges and trails safer for cyclists. He is in a position where his efforts can make an enormous difference. Whether he rides or not doesn't make a difference. I assume he does at least some riding, or did in his past.

He was recently speaking about the importance of safety for urban cyclists. Someone said that he sounded like a "run-of-the-mill hipster." LaHood replied that he doesn't even know what the term means. In the end, I'd rather have a Secretary of Transportation who doesn't know what a hipster is but is a solid bike advocate than the other way around.

Granted, there are a few vocal bike critics in the Republican Party (including the so-called spokesperson of the Arlington Republican Party) but that seems to be just a vocal minority. Former president George W. Bush is also a mountain biking enthusiast, though bike infrastructure was not a main focus during his time in office.

As someone pointed out, cycling does not automatically need to be a partisan issue. Bike enthusiasts and advocates don't help themselves by making it a Democrat-only issue. Large numbers of both Republicans and Democrats ride bikes, but for some reason, bike infrastructure has come to be seen by a certain segment as threatening the transportation system and the economy. Fans of everyday cycling need as many political supporters as they can get.

acc
05-18-2011, 04:10 PM
[Hitting the Like button]

I don't care if you are a member of the National Orangutan Party, if you advocate on behalf of the cycling community, you are terrific.

Dirt
05-19-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't care if you are a member of the National Orangutan Party, if you advocate on behalf of the cycling community, you are terrific.

Speaking as a card carrying member of the Orangutan Party, I can only say Amen, sista!

PotomacCyclist
05-20-2011, 12:25 AM
[Hitting the Like button]

Dr. Zaius approves of this message.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/332/drzaius.th.jpg (http://img695.imageshack.us/i/drzaius.jpg/)

acc
05-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Woot, he'd look great on a bike!
Ann

SteveTheTech
05-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Let me paint you a picture...

After 35 miles on the wad this past Saturday. We were coming back to the Vienna community center. A rec center class was letting out and there was a childrens' birthday party so traffic was very thick and slow moving. The pace was maybe 7mph.

I called "turning left" loud enough for my partner to hear about 10' ahead. I checked my mirror and everyone was maintaining pace. I began to decelerate and turn to the left. At the same time the worlds greatest cyclist tells me I should have signaled...he was the one passing me over a solid line in traffic against traffic.

That was one of those moments where if you where behind me you would grit your teeth and get ready to stop.

After that I realized I want to try to help.

acc
05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Please, a little more information. This is my neighborhood, the Vienna Community Center and I wish I understood your post better. I agree, that section of the path along the building can be tricky. The intersection at Park can be deceiving too.

Best wishes,
Ann

SteveTheTech
05-23-2011, 07:05 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.901155,-77.260827&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89b64bb7eb2c6269:0xfd7901c125e0d3e2,%2B38% C2%B0+54'+6.22%22,+-77%C2%B0+15'+43.46%22&gl=us&ei=Zu3aTYaHB8icgQeK361Y&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

I tend to run on a bit so I was trying to keep it short. :)

Vienna has a beautiful section of the trail, but there is no way the racers can maintain cruising speed there.

We happened to be there at 9 am and 1 pm. When we where getting started we saw that there was a children's' exercise class going on when within feet of the trail a team flew past us heading East at speeds that were dangerous no matter what their skill level.

acc
05-24-2011, 08:45 AM
The Vienna Community Center is a great place to launch in either direction on the W&O or through the residential neighborhoods. It has plenty of parking, water fountains with cold water, and real bathrooms. There are vending machines down a short flight of stairs to the right of the entrance. There is shade and benches and a gazebo, the scenery isn't bad.

Spokes is right down the street and so is Whole Foods. The Vienna Inn, source of cheap hot dogs and beer is very close. Or so I've heard. ;-)

That being said, the trail right next to the building is tricky. To be safe, it is necessary to practically crawl through the area. I don't want to knock a kid down. At least not one unrelated to me by DNA. I hate scrubbing the asphalt stains out of my jersey and the blood off my knees. Someone told me all the scratches and dings on Spartacus give him character. I think he was just being nice, thanks Dirt. So yes, it is important to note that area and protect yourself and folks who are completely unaware of our presence. They are focused on entering and exiting the building and not on the path.

Best wishes,
Ann

CCrew
05-24-2011, 09:07 AM
The Vienna Inn, source of cheap hot dogs and beer is very close. Or so I've heard. ;-)

Beer, hot dogs with chili & cheese, and cheese fries... mmmm. Vienna Inn rocks!

Joe Chapline
05-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Spokes is right down the street and so is Whole Foods.

The Whole Foods is a good lunchtime destination from Arlington if you can take a long lunch. About a ten-mile ride each way from where I used to live near Arlington Hospital; stop at the Whole Foods right by the W&OD Trail, pick up a sandwich and a drink, have a little picnic, and ride back.

consularrider
05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
@SteveTheTech:

Actually, the cyclist that tried to pass you was right, you should have signaled so that people behind you would know what you were trying to do. Your voice projected toward those ten feet in front frequently can not be heard by those ten feet behind. That's not to say the other cyclist was right in anything else. You can not rely on trail markings to indicate a no passing zone like you would have on a highway. From what I have seen in riding on most of the trails in this area there is little consistency in how a trail is striped, if it is at all.

brendan
05-24-2011, 04:08 PM
That being said, the trail right next to the building is tricky. To be safe, it is necessary to practically crawl through the area. I don't want to knock a kid down. At least not one unrelated to me by DNA. I hate scrubbing the asphalt stains out of my jersey and the blood off my knees. Someone told me all the scratches and dings on Spartacus give him character. I think he was just being nice, thanks Dirt. So yes, it is important to note that area and protect yourself and folks who are completely unaware of our presence. They are focused on entering and exiting the building and not on the path.

Best wishes,
Ann

Yes. I always take that section super slow, as I understand why it is natural for folks entering/exiting the community center and/or play/fields area to assume that getting to/from the parking lot is just crossing a sidewalk and not a paceline path...but I do also ring my bell obnoxiously when there's a crowd of kids just hanging out blocking the trail. </grandpa simpson>

There was one trip out there where kids were hiding in the bushes throwing tennis balls across the paths of passing cyclists. That's really outside of the norm for the area, though.

Brendan

SteveTheTech
05-24-2011, 05:40 PM
The Vienna Community Center is a great place to launch in either direction on the W&O or through the residential neighborhoods. It has plenty of parking, water fountains with cold water, and real bathrooms....

That being said, the trail right next to the building is tricky. To be safe, it is necessary to practically crawl through the area...

The VCC is indeed one of the best places to park, but it will only take 1 cyclist running over an important child for drastic actions to be taken. I know when we arrived there first we had no idea that the trail was right there.

@SteveTheTech:

Actually, the cyclist that tried to pass you was right, you should have signaled so that people behind you would know what you were trying to do...

Thanks, I really did not know that. I try to be as educated as possible in the rules of the road. I'm a huge fan of keeping the rubber side down.

Any part of the Vienna section can be a bit frustrating for those on road bikes, but safety has to come first.

baiskeli
05-26-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't know. It's not important.

I agree, I was just having fun.

PotomacCyclist
05-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I did manage to find this picture a couple weeks ago.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1705/201105secretaryoftransp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/201105secretaryoftransp.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

It's a recent picture and it's not Photoshopped, although it kind of looks like it is.

acc
05-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Clearly, a violation of helmet safety.

baiskeli
07-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Wednesday: I was stopped at an intersection on Wilson Blvd. You were salmoning up the street to my right. Just before my light turned green, you turned in front of me and proceeded to salmon between the two lanes of traffic as it began to go through the light.

Just wanted to check to see if you're still alive.

StopMeansStop
07-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Clearly, a violation of helmet safety.

He looks like a helmut. :)

brendan
07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Wednesday: I was stopped at an intersection on Wilson Blvd. You were salmoning up the street to my right. Just before my light turned green, you turned in front of me and proceeded to salmon between the two lanes of traffic as it began to go through the light.

Just wanted to check to see if you're still alive.

Yeah strange. Friday and Saturday nights are the official Salmoning nights on Wilson. Especially for cars... :) ... well, really :(

baiskeli
07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Today's missed connection:

You were a construction worker on an ATV, about to cross the path along the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool to get from the staging area to the pool. You were looking to your right, chatting with the guy who is supposed to be directing traffic and keeping you from hitting me, as I approached from your left. I saw what could happen and gave you a wide berth - and sure enough, you pulled out without looking, and your dumbass buddy didn't look either. But since I was looking out for you and your idiot buddy whose job it is to prevent just this sort of thing, you barely missed me.

If only I had been as stupid as you are, I could have met you up close and personal. Perhaps next time.

eminva
07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
And there's one today:

You: A 70-something, maybe 80-something cyclist. Kudos for being out on the second hottest day of the year!

Me: The commuter who was catching up to you just before the Gallows Road crossing on the W&OD trail.

Perhaps you didn't notice, but there is a traffic signal at this intersection. You can press a button, wait for the light, and then traffic will stop for you to cross the intersection. Some cyclists also wait for a break in traffic and cross without waiting for the light. But you just blithely crossed without checking for traffic. I am SO glad the cars saw you in time and stopped. But I am very worried -- I guess I can't say in a maternal way, since you looked to be about my dad's age -- but still, I worry when I see you do stuff like that. Nearly scared me to death. Please use the traffic signal next time, okay?

P.S. You might want to stop at Spokes and pick up a helmet, too.

Dirt
07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah strange. Friday and Saturday nights are the official Salmoning nights on Wilson. Especially for cars... :) ... well, really :(
I love the term "Salmoning". Makes me hungry.

baiskeli
07-21-2011, 02:10 PM
I love the term "Salmoning". Makes me hungry.

Actually, had another missed connection today - a lady in a sunhat and sundress ambling the wrong way right at me in the bike lane on Wilson.

Dirt
07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I had a "We're all gonna die" moment when a guy was walking on Custis "British Style" (on the left side of the road) right next to the sound wall on a blind turn. My sloth-like reflexes were adequate, but I definitely caused Mr. Man to need a change of underwear. I called back that he might be safer on the right side. "No $#|&" was his answer. At least the only catastrophe could be fixed in the laundry.

jrenaut
09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Dear angry man in the red Mustang turning from the alley onto 15th St NW -

I suppose you can technically make the argument that you didn't fail to yield to pedestrians on the sidewalk as there weren't any, though you had no way of knowing that since you didn't look.

But you didn't yield to me biking lawfully in the designated bike lane, and had you gone another three or four inches, you would have knocked me off my bike. Then you met my "turn around, incredulous" look with some angry hand gesture that I couldn't really make out through your fogged up windows.

So, thank you for helping me get my heart rate up (unnecessarily, as the hill by Meridian Hill Park does that just fine) on my ride home.

jrenaut
10-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Dear gentleman riding the wrong way down Harvard St NW at 9pm without any light whatsoever -

I'd prefer not to run you over next time I have to drive. Please use 1) A light and 2) Either one block north or one block south, both of which go in the direction you want.

jrenaut
11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Dear woman in the giant black SUV looking for parking -

I should have known you were not too bright when you made the right on red from S to 14th without really having enough time, but I was just enjoying the first ride on my new tires too much. And then you made me lock them up when you decided to abruptly pull over without checking the bike lane. I hope it scared you as much as it scared me. Though, as the cyclist right behind me said at the next light, "At least it got your heart rate up!".

JorgeGortex
11-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Dear older, 70 something rider near the USPTO in Alexandria,

You looked amazing in your full biking regalia, including helmet (kuddos), on your sweet ride. It was not, however, super cool that you meandered up the middle of the lane slowed, and made a u-turn in the middle of the street, without looking around or considering any of the cars, pedestrians, etc. nearby thus causing everyone involved to have a slight wide-eyed-white-knuckled moment. Maybe an extra bad call at a busy 4-way stop intersection in front of a busy Starbucks. If you would like to live into your 80's enjoying your bike, I would suggest reconsidering said behavior in the future. Remember that you also make all (safe and considerate) cyclists look like idiots by practicing this riding technique.

Love, the person in the car (unfortunately not on his bike this given day) behind you.

FFX_Hinterlands
11-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Me: Plodding along in my lightest workout shirt and a pair of khaki pants, lightly sweating in the 60 degree weather.

You: Sporting brand new neoprene overboots, tights, knee warmers and waterproof jacket and gloves.

Me: I checked the forecast and current temperature before I left home

You: Sweating profusely but too proud to shed some layers

jrenaut
01-06-2012, 06:25 PM
To the cyclist who ran the light on 15th NW at S and almost got killed by a cab making a legal left turn with the light - please stop giving the rest of us who use those cycletracks a bad name.

americancyclo
01-30-2012, 09:58 AM
In near total darkness on unlit section of W&OD this morning

Jogger with reflecto vest approaching: "This Plate! aghgbdbgbngbsmvvlllll"
Me: "What!?"

It's hard to understand anyone going in the opposite direction at 20 mph.

baiskeli
02-17-2012, 09:01 AM
To the guy who was wandering into the bike lane in Clarendon while looking at your phone: Don't wander into the bike lane in Clarendon while looking at your phone.

Especially since you were heading for the car lane next.

acc
02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
I'd like to thank you, light blue mini-van racing to make the light.

Thank you for passing me on the left because I had the audacity to take the lane, and then cut across in front of me as we went down that hill together. That move startled me and gave me a split second to reach my brakes.

Thank you for braking so hard your tires squealed as your reached the right turn lane.

But most of all, thank you for not actually coming to a stop because I would have slammed into the left corner of your bumper. They look very shiny from that close range.

I hope you have a pleasant day, thank you for not injuring me.

americancyclo
02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Dear Guy with a cold-

Thanks for inspiring me to really up the pace on my morning commute yesterday. I understand snot rockets, and I maintain a respectful 4 bike length distance, since we're going about the same speed. But you weren't blowing snot rockets, you were ejecting mucous mist from your nose, multiple times. maybe it was the way the sunlight caught the millions of nasty particles hanging in the air, waiting for me to ride through, but I just couldn't stand the thought any longer. So thanks for making me get up out of the saddle and pass you so I wouldn't have to breathe in whatever nasty infection you have.

jrenaut
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Dear ZipCar turning into the parking garage (huh?) on 15th just south of M -

If you want to get that close to my ass again, you're at least going to have to buy me dinner.

bikesnick
03-16-2012, 08:33 AM
to the cabi rider crossing 123 at lewinsville/great falls street (3/15 about 130pm),

way to go! that is a far distance from a bikeshare station.

baiskeli
03-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Dear cyclist number one,

Dude.

Yeah, nobody really stops at that stop sign on the Custis at the hotel entrance, but at least slowing down is advised. There was a car waiting to come in from the street, so there was no question that you needed to stop and yield. It's not like he could have run your ass over since he had just seen me stop and yield and might presume it was safe to proceed.

Dear cyclist number two:

See above.

aflapr
03-27-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm glad to see the folks doing work on the trails, but I had two up close and personal encounters with their trucks:

- Friday: truck was coming down the Brandymore Castle hill heading to the bridge work. I got off the trail to allow it to pass when the truck cut the corner missing me by inches.

- Monday: the truck was parked half-on/half-off the trail on the I-66 side just past the bridge under George Mason at the S-curve. I was able to see it when I came under the bridge, but anyone coming the other direction would have had no warning since the workers didn't put out signs.

Today I broke my two-day streak. Maybe the cooler weather kept them off the trail.

Subby
03-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Yesterday afternoon.

You: waiting for the light at the Lee Highway crossing on the W&OD, wearing kickass skull and crossbones bike shoes.

Me: Wishing I was cool.

baiskeli
03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Yesterday afternoon.

You: waiting for the light at the Lee Highway crossing on the W&OD, wearing kickass skull and crossbones bike shoes.

Me: Wishing I was cool.

You look pretty cool in your avatar, kinda.

acc
04-04-2012, 10:59 AM
This morning at Spring Hill Recreation Center:

You: Adonis on a bike. Beautiful legs, beautiful face, ratty messenger bag slung casually across your fine chest. There you were hammering down Lewinsville Road flying by at least 24 mph. I could not take my eyes off the rearview mirror. I can even forgive your ridiculous shorts/culottes combination because I get it--you're way too cool for bike shorts.

Me: Stopped at the stoplight at Lewinsville Road and Spring Hill Road licking my lips as you approached.

You Idiot: You cut along my left, flew past eight cars waiting at the stoplight, hesitated 1/10 of a second before blowing through the red light, swung across multiple lanes of traffic from a position no car would ever expect you to be coming from and then adjusted your messenger bag and continued up Spring Hill Road. I lost interest immediately.

Terpfan
04-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Lunchtime at Vermont & K:

To the helmetless man riding the red hybrid (I missed the brand): I sure hope you have really good health insurance and no assets because your choice to blow through a long red light and dodge moving traffic on K street like you were Pac-man left those of us bystanders on the sidewalk convinced you would be hit and severly, if not fatally, hurt. Next time, I would advise wearing a helmet, waiting for the green light, and otherwise not jutting between cars like Pac-man. On the bright side, it did almost seem like a movie set.

baiskeli
04-04-2012, 12:54 PM
You'd make a great romance novelist, acc. But you'd need to spice up your endings a little.

This morning at Spring Hill Recreation Center:

You: Adonis on a bike. Beautiful legs, beautiful face, ratty messenger bag slung casually across your fine chest. There you were hammering down Lewinsville Road flying by at least 24 mph. I could not take my eyes off the rearview mirror. I can even forgive your ridiculous shorts/culottes combination because I get it--you're way too cool for bike shorts.

Me: Stopped at the stoplight at Lewinsville Road and Spring Hill Road licking my lips as you approached.

You Idiot: You cut along my left, flew past eight cars waiting at the stoplight, hesitated 1/10 of a second before blowing through the red light, swung across multiple lanes of traffic from a position no car would ever expect you to be coming from and then adjusted your messenger bag and continued up Spring Hill Road. I lost interest immediately.

vvill
04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
You: This morning in a dark green house cleaning services car, happily sharing the road with me going down Lee Highway, suddenly turning in front of me in the bike lane to take a right turn onto a side street (N Kenmore perhaps) with no signal.

Me: Initially thinking there was no way to avoid slamming into you, locking up the brakes, bike bouncing a bit, thankful I was riding in the drops and even more thankful I didn't crash, feeling on edge the rest of the ride in. Wishing I had worn my Contour although it wouldn't have made a difference since there was no impact. Garmin says speed went from 29 to 10mph and HR from 139 to 155.

You: This morning on Custis trail, evidently disturbed by the previous incident and sick of being bounced around on skinny tires, deciding to fly off my seat bag at the same intersection where I crashed and broke my arm last year. Your nice new shiny red plastic lens came flying off and got scratched, and you ejected one of the nice rechargeable AAA cells I put in you. The useless plastic clip that was once an integral part of you may never be found. At least you had the courage to turn yourself on while in my jacket pocket so I knew you weren't a total loss by the time I got to work.

Me: Wondering where the heck my nice Blackburn rear blinkie went?! That thing never came off. Either misplaced or genuinely lost. Rueing this morning's commute as I walked back up the trail to retrieve you from the middle of the road, almost wishing that the van that just passed by actually ran you over. Other cyclists just previously passed on the trail fly by as I remount, confirming my thoughts that blinkies bought for $2 in a night market in Taiwan are just not worth it - upgrade to Nashbar next time.

KLizotte
04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Sounds like the blinkie is on life support. May it rest in peace....

Glad you have all your fingers and toes today.

jrenaut
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
You: Eastbound on T St at New Hampshire NW, blue Prius, DC tags and Zone 2 RPP pass.

Me: The cyclist pulling my younger daughter in the trailer that you almost hit when you rolled the stop sign, annoyed at the pedestrian who was legally in your way, then continued through the intersection while I was legally moving southbound on New Hampshire.

Bonus points when you told the pedestrian who yelled at you "mind your own business".

And thanks to Jack Evans, councilmember for the Ward where it happened, for responding quickly when I complained on Twitter. Hope to see increased police presence at that intersection, as well as 17th and New Hampshire. Cyclists, pedestrians, and cars all behave very badly there, and I want to see more tickets.

Again on the bright side, I got unclipped and put a foot down an inch from his bumper without falling. And I don't think I swore, either, though I could be misremembering.

baiskeli
06-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Dear young pretty girl turning right on red onto the Key Bridge through the Zone of Death,

Let's meet for coffee and talk about our shared interests!

Let's NOT, however meet by you not even looking to the right as you turn (ignoring the green crossing signal) and then running me over. M'kay?

Dickie
06-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Dear Chubs.

I do appreciate that your creaking cranks and sock-less feet are the uniform of a serious weekend warrior, and your wheezing lungs function as your warning sign when you approach from behind, but please let me know you are about to pass next time, especially when I am approaching two runners in the opposite lane. Oh yeah, and when you pass me please make sure you have enough left in those stubby little legs to make it over the airport over-pass (or in your case "L'Alpe d'Huez") because having your arse crack in my face really wasn't a pleasant way to end my ride. Cheers.

ShawnoftheDread
06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Dear Chubs.

I do appreciate that your creaking cranks and sock-less feet are the uniform of a serious weekend warrior, and your wheezing lungs function as your warning sign when you approach from behind, but please let me know you are about to pass next time, especially when I am approaching two runners in the opposite lane. Oh yeah, and when you pass me please make sure you have enough left in those stubby little legs to make it over the airport over-pass (or in your case "L'Alpe d'Huez") because having your arse crack in my face really wasn't a pleasant way to end my ride. Cheers.

It sounds like you're talking about me. Which guy were you?

GuyContinental
06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
It sounds like you're talking about me. Which guy were you?

Awwwkward...

Could be worse, he could have been belly-aching about that large guy on the pink bike that sings and stops at crossings...

consularrider
06-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Dear Chubs.

While in general I might resemble this remark, especially the "creaking cranks," I wear bib shorts, so no crack in sight here. ;)

ShawnoftheDread
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Awwwkward...

Could be worse, he could have been belly-aching about that large guy on the pink bike that sings and stops at crossings...

In my defense, I was wearing short socks. And I call my passes. Maybe it's not me, but the creaking cranks and the route, and especially the wheezing, sound like me.

Dickie
06-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Nice.....I was the guy going so slow my Bianchi was 10 ft ahead of me, besides I don't recall you having a cricket bat so it couldn't have been you.

Dickie
06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
While in general I might resemble this remark, especially the "creaking cranks," I wear bib shorts, so no crack in sight here. ;)

Not a chance it was you, however funny you should mention the bibs.... found myself behind a fellow with pretty much transparent bibs this morning, sort of a shocking sight (Emperor's clothes)... I suddenly felt concerned about people following me!

ShawnoftheDread
06-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Nice.....I was the guy going so slow my Bianchi was 10 ft ahead of me, besides I don't recall you having a cricket bat so it couldn't have been you.

Yeah, that wasn't me then. I always carry my cricket bat to deal with snippy pedestrians and zombies.

baiskeli
06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Two missed connections today, both other cyclists.

1. Cute noob girl, you're cute, but I don't want to meet when by you crossing Lynn St. on everyone's left, and then suddenly trying to cut right in front of me to turn right at the corner when I'm trying to continue on the trail.

2. Experienced-looking bike dude, don't just turn left right in front of me from my far right when I'm going straight. You look like you should know better. But you did apologize, so thanks. I've done stupid things like that too.

pfunkallstar
06-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Dear lady dressed like a ballerina riding a CaBi on Independence at 9:30pm last night while texting on your iphone. You keep doing what you doing.

TwoWheelsDC
06-15-2012, 11:28 AM
You: lovely blonde walking eastbound on the sidepath of busy suburban road.

Me: Riding my bike slowly westbound, staying as far to the right of the sidepath as possible.

I realize you must have thought I looked quite dashing in my cycling attire and my animal magnetism must've had a literal effect on you as our eyes met and you stared at me....and stared....and proceeded to walk directly into my path, nearly forcing me to ride into the weeds.

consularrider
06-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Not a chance it was you, however funny you should mention the bibs.... found myself behind a fellow with pretty much transparent bibs this morning, sort of a shocking sight (Emperor's clothes)... I suddenly felt concerned about people following me!
I keep my transparent bibs for wearing under my winter tights. :D

OneEighth
06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Dear lady dressed like a ballerina riding a CaBi on Independence at 9:30pm last night while texting on your iphone. You keep doing what you doing.

I just want to know what Lady Luck was doing outside VA.

TwoWheelsDC
06-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Me: Riding on the sidewalk under 395, just past the fish market...looking pretty good. Sweaty, but not too sweaty, just enough to glisten and give off some sweet pheromones as I rolled up to the crosswalk.

You: Rollin' like a boss in your Honda Fit, clearly heading to your important job and your important life, waiting to turn right from Ohio onto Water St. Oh, there's car in front of you also waiting to turn right? Honeybadger don't care! You decided to go around him on the left to make your right turn. Honeybadger don't give a sh*t. And who has time these days to look to the right for possible pedestrians using that crosswalk that you stopped on top of? Not you, because you're the bawss, and you only look to your left.

Transfixed by your alpha male display of authority, I stopped, hoping that our eyes would meet and you would see me there, waiting for you to love me, to show me I mattered. But it wasn't enough....my glowing personality and bright green jersey weren't enough to catch your attention. And you turned without even a glance in my direction, never even realizing I was there....

jopamora
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
What am I doing wrong? I haven't had a missed encounter in almost a week. I guess my game is just weak.

Certifried
06-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Honeybadger don't care! You decided to go around him on the left to make your right turn. Honeybadger don't give a sh*t.

hahahahaahahahahahahahaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahah ahahaahaaaaaaahhhhhh
so
damn
funny!

(sad, but funny)

baiskeli
06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Honeybadger drives a Honda Fit!

Certifried
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Honeybadger drives a Honda Fit!Honeybadger don't give a shit!

(what a poem in the works here!)

Terpfan
06-26-2012, 09:53 AM
To the woman behind me heading north on the 15th St cycletrack around 8:30am talking on her cell phone I ask, what was such an important phone call about that you needed to take it while riding your bike?

americancyclo
06-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Dear everyone in a car crossing the Key Bridge and heading in to DC,
On M St., after crossing the intersection of 34th st, the lanes all shift left. This is so you don't drive in a parking lane. It's also so you don't run me over. Stay in your damn lane.

vvill
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Dear everyone in a car crossing the Key Bridge and heading in to DC,
On M St., after crossing the intersection of 34th st, the lanes all shift left. This is so you don't drive in a parking lane. It's also so you don't run me over. Stay in your damn lane.

Yeah I got yelled at by a lady in a car a couple commutes back there - "I could've hit you!". I was pulled up alongside her on her left in my own lane (I often take the lane on M St in the morning) at the next red light but didn't say anything. I think signage needs to be a lot clearer for cars. Maybe they can put some bollards on the road. :D

dbb
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
To the gent riding the pushmi-pullyu style road bike (originally produced by Dolittle) just below the caboose on the W&OD this morning about 0620, repeat after me; "white light in front, red light in back".

Reds aiming both directions don't work for me. Come to a BikeArlington event and you might score a white for the front of your bike

FFX_Hinterlands
06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Me: Taking the lane northbound on the Monroe Street Bridge after signalling and checking for traffic behind me.
You: Cruising along in your Subaru wagon before veering into my lane to overtake cars on the right. You sounded great as you honked repeatedly at me, yelled through your closed window and passed me. I was really touched by the way you veered your car violently in front of me after passing, almost losing control.

I hope we can meet again and you can show your complete lack of patience while we navigate on a 4-lane bridge with no shoulders. That left lane is all yours, tough guy.

Certifried
06-27-2012, 09:48 PM

You: middle aged white guy with a beard, sunglasses, and a bike helmet
Me: middle aged white guy with a beard, sunglasses, and a bike helmet

Looking for my long lost brother, please contact me if you see him.

06-28-2012, 05:40 AM

You: middle aged white guy with a beard, sunglasses, and a bike helmet
Me: middle aged white guy with a beard, sunglasses, and a bike helmet

Looking for my long lost brother, please contact me if you see him.

I think I saw him wearing a black jersey.... Nope, not him, no sunglasses. I'll keep my eyes peeled this afternoon, though.

baiskeli
06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Hey, lady in jeep wanting to turn right on red onto Clarendon Blvd. when I'm crossing at the crosswalk - you need to stop first. If we meet again I'll explain why.

Jason
06-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Dear blacked out Range Rover Sport HSE drivers. Why do all of you, and yes, I mean all of you, drive like you are compensating for something. At least two a week, all with different license plates rocket past me and then block up the intersection in the Arlington area. I suppose I shouldnt be surprised, it is Arlington, home of all assholes in the DC metro area, but still. I was wondering, what is it like to live a stereotype?

dasgeh
06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Dear spandexed road bike rider, who clearly needed to get to work that extra minute earlier this morning,

Even if you never call another pass in your life, on the TR bridge, when you've been riding behind me for half the bridge span and we're still on the narrow part, you really need to call your passes. I'm happy to let you pass, just not to be pushed into oncoming traffic on 66.

baiskeli
06-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Dear spandexed road bike rider, who clearly needed to get to work that extra minute earlier this morning,

Even if you never call another pass in your life, on the TR bridge, when you've been riding behind me for half the bridge span and we're still on the narrow part, you really need to call your passes. I'm happy to let you pass, just not to be pushed into oncoming traffic on 66.

Wow, on the TR? It's sketchy to pass there at all, let alone without calling it. Come on, people.

Tim Kelley
06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Dear blacked out Range Rover Sport HSE drivers. Why do all of you, and yes, I mean all of you, drive like you are compensating for something. At least two a week, all with different license plates rocket past me and then block up the intersection in the Arlington area. I suppose I shouldnt be surprised, it is Arlington, home of all assholes in the DC metro area, but still. I was wondering, what is it like to live a stereotype?

Now now...there are plenty of jerks who live elsewhere too.

RESTONTODC
06-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Dear Handsome White Toyota Landcruiser,

We're doing paceline on the Westmoreland St McLean this morning. You're too heavy for me to pull. I do mind that you're drafting behind me. I'm sorry that there wasn't enough room for you pass me. Please stay back when you see me next time.

Red Orbea Bike,

elcee
06-28-2012, 09:41 AM
You: two urban riders on K street late last night.

Me: driving in the right lane, waiting for the light to change.

The light turns green, and the SUV to my left and I both start moving. The two of you suddenly appear, crossing from left to right, having not bothered to heed your red light. Only my spidey-sense allows me to brake and simultaneously observe your deer-in-headlights stares.

I can't save you if I can't see you. (Remember the SUV? Big vehicle.) Try not to blow through intersections when you see traffic.

DCAKen
06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Me: Heading north on Connecticut Avenue at S Street

You: Driving a black Jeep Cherokee

There I was, stopped at the light for S Street, in the right lane but in the middle to give space to those who wanted to turn right at the light. A quick glance in my rear view mirror just showed a Toyota Rav4 behind me. Once the light turned green, I started moving to the right and climbing the hill, and you suddenly appeared in my life. You were close to being the last thing appearing in my life as you laid on your horn, passing me on the right. It's not that you wanted to turn right on Florida Avenue...you just wanted to get by the long lines of traffic in the other lanes to flirt with me until you zoomed left across two lanes to continue northward on Connecticut.

creadinger
06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Dear guy pushing the baby stroller across Anacostia River Road near the Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge about 5:30pm Wednesday.

You need to look both ways before crossing the street! Especially when you're pushing a baby in a stroller. Looking at the ground will not tell you if the road is clear for you and your baby to cross. You're lucky it was just me on a bike coming at you. I was able to see what you were going to do before you did it and safely went around you. A driver might not have noticed....

KelOnWheels
06-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Me: outside Caribou Coffee in Shirlington looking sweaty on my Fredly MTB.

You: looking cool on your Pinarello with your full Cervelo kit and a Bike Arlington reflective band.

Me: "Hi, Bike Arlington person!"

You: "..."

Me: :( , slinking away all rejectified.

Certifried
06-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Me: :( , slinking away all rejectified.

Oh that's terrible! I'm comforting my little kitten now because that almost killed him. (on the upside, little kitten tears are tasty!)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

KelOnWheels
06-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Oh that's terrible! I'm comforting my little kitten now because that almost killed him. (on the upside, little kitten tears are tasty!)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LOL!

It's true, my delicate and flowerlike feelings are crushed. I will probably never speak to anyone in public again.

WOE.

Actually the woe came right after that, when my chain fell off on That Damn Hill AGAIN. Fortunately my phone battery died while I was making the final ascent in the Death Zone, so Strava will not know my shame.

ShawnoftheDread
06-28-2012, 07:46 PM
LOL!

It's true, my delicate and flowerlike feelings are crushed. I will probably never speak to anyone in public again.

WOE.

I felt the same way after my one and only Friday coffee club visit.

KelOnWheels
06-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I felt the same way after my one and only Friday coffee club visit.

Oh no, is it like that? I was thinking of going next week. Although probably no one will be there next week, come to think of it, since everyone will take the week off. Then all the people that aren't there won't talk to me! :(

rcannon100
06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Friday Coffee Club is a lot like the Bike Arlington crew, only its the DC crew. A lot of the twitter #bikedc people show. I have thoroughly enjoyed both. I think there was a #fridaycoffeeclub hash tag. Peter goes. I go. VVill goes. Who else from Bike Arlington?

No, next friday July 6 will probably be lightly attended.

I am thinking we should start a regular :mad: > "Attitude Adjustment Hour" > :p on Thursday evenings somewhere that works for the DC/Arlington crowd. Personally, Shirlington is marvelous. Maybe Crystal City. Maybe rotate it through a set of standards?

dbb
06-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Friday Coffee Club is a lot like the Bike Arlington crew, only its the DC crew. A lot of the twitter #bikedc people show. I have thoroughly enjoyed both. I think there was a #fridaycoffeeclub hash tag. Peter goes. I go. VVill goes. Who else from Bike Arlington?

I am planning on going tomorrow. My off day so I have a bit more flexibility.

bobco85
06-28-2012, 08:43 PM
I got a twofer in a stretch of about a minute along Fairfax Drive (how lucky of me)!

You #1: Coming off of I-66 eastbound onto Fairfax Drive in your silver pick-up truck
Me: Coming off the Custis Trail and waiting at the light. It turns red for you and green for me.
You #1: One Miss-iss-ipp-i after your light turns red and you don't even bother to slow down as you run the red (it wasn't even close).
Me: Halfway across the intersection, stopping to avoid being struck by you, yelling "Hey!" and bowels beginning to loosen in the process (I didn't need the help, as I was bringing dinner home from Taco Bell).
You #1: Not flinching and not turning your head, Terminator-style, but luckily stopping for another biker (motorcycle) at the light at Glebe.

You #2: Pedestrian at Stuart/Fairfax waiting to get your beloved 7-11 goodies.
Me: In the bike lane crossing through the intersection. My light turns yellow midway through the intersection.
You #2: Probably thinking, "Yellow for cross traffic is a green for me, right?" as you step out across the bike lane with the kind of timing that would have gotten your foot run over by my back tire only if it hadn't been for me seeing you and moving out of the bike lane to avoid you.
Me: Thinking that two white headlights (flashing on handlebars, solid on helmet), two red taillights (blinking on seat stem, blinking on back of helmet), two amber spoke lights on my front wheel (they make it look like a bright amber circle), front/back reflectors, and my cool Bike Arlington bracelet wrapped around my seat stem make me completely invisible when riding in the middle of the bike lane at 9 o'clock at night.

vvill
06-28-2012, 09:28 PM

americancyclo, essigmw, jrenaut

TwoWheelsDC
06-28-2012, 09:55 PM

No, next friday July 6 will probably be lightly attended.

I am thinking we should start a regular :mad: > "Attitude Adjustment Hour" > :p on Thursday evenings somewhere that works for the DC/Arlington crowd. Personally, Shirlington is marvelous. Maybe Crystal City. Maybe rotate it through a set of standards?

I was planning on coming, but wedding issues may preclude it. Negotiations with the future wife are ongoing.

Certifried
06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Oh no, is it like that? I was thinking of going next week. Although probably no one will be there next week, come to think of it, since everyone will take the week off. Then all the people that aren't there won't talk to me! :(

I'll go and buy you a coffee, if you promise to speak to me in public. I'll bring some kitten tears to sweeten your coffee.

KelOnWheels
06-28-2012, 10:50 PM

I approve this plan, as Shirlington and Crystal City are both on my way home ;)

Arlingtonrider
06-29-2012, 06:14 AM
I'd be glad to set something up for July 12 or 19 at Cap City in Shirlington if people are interested. Any preferences on the date?

Let's also think about an August one in DC or Crystal City (hopefully not Aug 6-10 though). Would someone be willing to set one up? Dasgeh mentioned Tonic in Foggy Bottom as a possibility.

rcannon100
06-29-2012, 06:46 AM
I say make this a regular, while the sun is still in the sky and the younguns dont drag us off to the relatives house in August.

July 12th. Shirlington. Cap City. Lets have pretzels!

DaveK
06-29-2012, 09:28 AM
You - older, maybe 60s lady in a new M3 with a super-loud exhaust that sounded like God ripping a Kevlar vest in half.

Me - thought this was awesome.

dasgeh
06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Let's also think about an August one in DC or Crystal City (hopefully not Aug 6-10 though). Would someone be willing to set one up? Dasgeh mentioned Tonic in Foggy Bottom as a possibility.

Early August is probably the best time to do Tonic -- before the GW kids take it over. I'm out of town mid-August, but could do the 2nd.

jrenaut
06-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Should we move happy hour discussions over to the meetup thread (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?2526-Regular-cyclist-meetups)?

ShawnoftheDread
06-29-2012, 10:16 AM

I went today and forced myself on others -- they graciously accepted. It was nice to meet dbb, vvill, and DismalScientist, as well as some BikeDC folks.

vvill
06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I went today and forced myself on others -- they graciously accepted. It was nice to meet dbb, vvill, and DismalScientist, as well as some BikeDC folks.

Nice to meet you too. I was wondering if you were the same Shawn as here!

KelOnWheels
07-09-2012, 07:02 AM
You: King of all salmons, flying down the N Van Dorn hill in the middle of the oncoming traffic lanes.

Me: Hoping that hi-vis yellow shirt is body armor, you're gonna need it.

Terpfan
07-09-2012, 07:52 AM
To the guy on H Street Saturday night (late night) with the cut cables in his hand and padlock still locking the two sides of the cables, that blows man. The worst part was it seemed like your bike was stolen from a sign on the street despite the street being packed with people. I should add I liked your spirit after finishing the police report you immediately went into the bar presumably to drink away your pain.

jopamora
07-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Anyone else playing DSJB (Don't swallow Japanese beetles) on the MVT by Gravelly Point?

ShawnoftheDread
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Anyone else playing DSJB (Don't swallow Japanese beetles) on the MVT by Gravelly Point?

Why would we forgo such an easy source of protein? That's a hands-free snack right there.

DaveK
07-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Is that what those things were? There were millions of them out this morning. I got stung by a bee yesterday (Guess where? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dbdZlsR3Y)) and already don't like stinging insects so all those buzzing monsters were not my idea of a fun commute.

consularrider
07-10-2012, 01:15 PM
I've been wondering what's been bouncing off me lately. I sort of prefer them to the gnat clusters since it is easier to inhale those and they get under the eye protection instead of bouncing off.

KLizotte
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Anyone notice the large uptick in horseflies? I think that's what they are. They are really, really big. Often seen near the communal gardens on the WO&D in Arlington near Phoenix Bikes.

KelOnWheels
07-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Anyone notice the large uptick in horseflies? I think that's what they are. They are really, really big. Often seen near the communal gardens on the WO&D in Arlington near Phoenix Bikes.

Ugh. Those things bite like a @#$%*&$%@#@%.

ShawnoftheDread
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM

The ones that bite? I had the pleasure of meeting them during each of my two tire changes Saturday morning.

txgoonie
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm one whose SOP is to ride with glasses. But lately with the steamy conditions and my tendency to fog up glasses whenever I stop, I have been riding with them less. I'm somewhat amazed that certain species of bugs survive when they clearly have no self-preservation instincts. I have had more large flying things bounce off my eyes and set them to watering than I feel rightfully should. The unlucky ones find themselves in a bath of hydrochloric acid. Really, bug? You didn't see that coming?

chris_s
07-13-2012, 07:08 AM
To the bearded guy in a straw hat riding a CaBi up Columbia Pike this morning: I salute you dude.

GuyContinental
07-13-2012, 07:26 AM
You: shambling trail zombie with a broken piece of pipe and over ear headphones on the WO&D heading towards Hunter Mill- first, good for you for getting out postmortem, dragging leg, loose jaw and all but brandishing your crazy pipe at passing riders isn't a way to make friends.

mstone
07-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Is that a euphemism?

txgoonie
07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Me - doing my laps at Hains Point
You - father with 2 little girls and wife with a ridiculously cute dog on a fully extended retractable leash that darted across the road in front of me
Me – jammed the brakes to avoid the dog and as I passed, exclaimed, “jeez!”
You - setting a good example for your children gasped sarcastically and said, “oh my god, it’s the worst thing ever!”

Sir, actually, no, my seeing you and your family and having my hands on the brakes ready for what might happen as I passed was in fact not the worst thing ever. The worst thing ever may have been if it were about 1 minute hence as a peloton of about 40 guys going 25mph (maybe faster) with really no expectations of slowing down and your dog darted in from of THEM. Your children would have had the pleasure of seeing your dog run over and quite possibly a horrific crash involving who knows how many riders. But as it was, it was just me, so no harm done, but I appreciate your apology for creating the dangerous situation. Oh wait, there wasn’t one.

OneEighth
07-13-2012, 09:38 AM
You know, every time I read this thread, I'm thankful that it has been quite a long while since I've had any issue that required me to do more than put it quickly behind me (literally).

baiskeli
07-13-2012, 12:29 PM

I remember seeing hornets hanging out around the sand playground there.

Hornets are really really big - up to 2 inches long. I've seen a few recently; I think they're out.

lordofthemark
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
You - the 20 or so people, adults and kids of various ages, all on bikes, together on the sidewalk south of Independence east of the Lincoln Memorial today. I know its only a sidewalk (albeit wide) and only suitable for very slow riding with all the pedestrians, but when TWENTY of you need to stop to determine where you are going, it would be very nice, to both other slow riders and to pedestrians, if you could move OFF the sidewalk, because you were actually blocking the entire sidewalk.

KLizotte
07-15-2012, 05:09 PM
You - the 20 or so people, adults and kids of various ages, all on bikes, together on the sidewalk south of Independence east of the Lincoln Memorial today. I know its only a sidewalk (albeit wide) and only suitable for very slow riding with all the pedestrians, but when TWENTY of you need to stop to determine where you are going, it would be very nice, to both other slow riders and to pedestrians, if you could move OFF the sidewalk, because you were actually blocking the entire sidewalk.

Hahaha. Spoken like an old hand commuter already. We get relief from the tourist pedestrians for about six months of the year; the rest of the time we seek out ped unfriendly routes to the extent possible.

There is a way to avoid the horror of the Lincoln Memorial pedestrian plaza and the "trails" (glorified sidewalks) along Independence to get to the George Mason Bridge (usually referred to as the 14th St bridge) if you are heading south from the Rock Creek Parkway. It's hard to describe but I'll try.

Pass under the Roosevelt (rte 66) bridge, continue on the trail around the defunct roundabout, at the point where you would normally take a second 90 degree turn to continue heading towards Memorial Bridge along Rock Creek, stop. Use the crosswalk across Rock Creek to enter the trail that cuts through the volleyball sand pits. Follow this trail south. It will take you under Memorial Bridge all the way along Ohio Drive to the intersection that allows you to choose between cutting across to pick up the trail that leads to the entrance to the George Mason Bridge, or going right to continue on to Hain's Pt.

This route allows you to bypass a lot of pedestrian traffic and lights. When you get to West Potomac Park it is generally best to move into the road and get off the sidewalk; traffic moves pretty slow and is generally looking for a parking space. Just make sure you stay far enough away from the parked cars to avoid being doored.

If you decide to return this way, be sure to cross over the street on Ohio Drive by the large round-about to pick up the trail heading north since you can't pass under Memorial Bridge on the right side of the road.

This sounds more complicated than it is. Once you find the trail in the volleyball courts it is pretty much idiot-proof so long as you are somewhat familiar with the area.

dasgeh
07-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Pass under the Memorial Bridge, continue on the trail around the defunct roundabout, at the point where you would normally take a second 90 degree turn to continue heading towards Memorial Bridge along Rock Creek, stop. Use the crosswalk across Rock Creek to enter the trail that cuts through the volleyball sand pits. Follow this trail south.

I think you mean pass under the TEDDY ROOSEVELT (aka 66) bridge, and continue around what has now become a pedestrian drop off/stop the car and take pictures area. Then cross the on/off ramps that are technically the last bit of Rock Creek Parkway (according to google maps), but feel like the ramps to get on to Memorial Bridge / from the Lincoln to RCP. That trail wraps around the volleyball courts and goes under both those ramps and the Memorial Bridge and on to Potomac Park.

Yes, tourists suck. Tourist around the Lincoln suck a lot. And they're there for basically 9 months of the year. But their absence is a silver lining to the depths of winter.

Terpfan
07-17-2012, 10:26 AM
I got passed five times this morning (yes, I must have been going to slow as the pass to get-passed ratio was barely +1) and not a single call. I've started calling out, "Yep, I was on your right." I usually brushed it off, but one pass this morning almost took both of us down right against GWP a north end of airport on MVT. Cyclist one passed me as I was rapidly approaching a fairly slow leisure rider, I got ready to pass myself and checked behind myself to see another non-call cyclist immediately to my back left. Moral of the story: call passes, especially those where it's obvious the person in front may also be facing an obstacle/pass.

KLizotte
07-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I think you mean pass under the TEDDY ROOSEVELT (aka 66) bridge, and continue around what has now become a pedestrian drop off/stop the car and take pictures area.

You're right. Good catch.

I wish the authorities would fix that defunct roundabout. The two sharp turns required to traverse it are horrid, esp since one of them has a curb cut ramp taking up half the sidewalk.

dasgeh
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I got passed five times this morning (yes, I must have been going to slow as the pass to get-passed ratio was barely +1) and not a single call. I've started calling out, "Yep, I was on your right." I usually brushed it off, but one pass this morning almost took both of us down right against GWP a north end of airport on MVT. Cyclist one passed me as I was rapidly approaching a fairly slow leisure rider, I got ready to pass myself and checked behind myself to see another non-call cyclist immediately to my back left. Moral of the story: call passes, especially those where it's obvious the person in front may also be facing an obstacle/pass.

This morning seemed to be especially bad. I was passed by a no-call speedster. Shortly thereafter, I approached a pedestrian. I slowed, looked back, and seeing no one, started to pull over. Luckily, I looked one more time. A guy was FLYING up to me (on the Custis, on the top of the Rosslyn hill, before the downhill). As I pulled back behind the ped, SLAMMING on my brakes, he says (as he's even with me) "Oh, yeah, on your left". Didn't break his pedal-stride. Thanks, jerk.

ShawnoftheDread
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Me: Serenely pedaling along Pennsylvania Ave in front of Blair House this morning, not too fast, not too slow.

You: U.S. Secret Service uniform officer sitting in your parked prowler. I'm sure it was something of vital national security interests that required you to suddenly attempt a u-turn from a standstill just as I was about two feet off your port side, but if so you should have used lights, siren, or some sort of indicator that you were going to start moving. At least one of us pays attention to what's going on around us.

Bilsko
07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Sounds like my encounted with an PSP cruiser on the CCT last week. He was slowly ambling north-bound on the trail well past the Foundry Branch tunnel, but before Fletcher's. I was a good distance back (maybe 200m) and he pulled off into one of the little access points for people to hop up onto the Canal towpath. Just as I was about 15ft behind and moving to pass, he decides its the best time to initiate his 4 point U-turn on the trail, ending with him peeling out in the gravel along the path. No lights, no siren. On a trail that's no more than 8-10ft wide. Thanks.

jrenaut
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
It really bothers me when people in charge of protecting our safety have so little situational awareness.

Terpfan
07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
It really bothers me when people in charge of protecting our safety have so little situational awareness.

You're being polite. I think they know full well what they're doing and just don't care. Only once have I had a relatively friendly encounter where they stopped to let a few of us go across the road despite having the light on 15th. I tend to find the SS is more mellow than the PP and better about not parking their vehicles in the middle of crossings.

ShawnoftheDread
07-19-2012, 10:26 AM
You're being polite. I think they know full well what they're doing and just don't care. Only once have I had a relatively friendly encounter where they stopped to let a few of us go across the road despite having the light on 15th. I tend to find the SS is more mellow than the PP and better about not parking their vehicles in the middle of crossings.

No, both the SS and the PP park cruisers in the middle of the bike lane on 15th just before it ends at the Pennsylvania Ave bike lane. Yesterday I got to inch around one in the rain.

Terpfan
07-20-2012, 10:09 AM
First, to the woman with the light blue shirt and the olive green backpack who decided to pass me without a call on the 14th Street Bridge yesterday while another guy was coming the opposite direction--and slowly pass at that, to her I say, you're insane and almost pushed both of us into the railings. I'm glad that guy yelled "what the F" to you. I also proceeded to heckle you from behind saying call your pass next time (and possibly an inappropriate word after it).

Second, to the gentleman on a nice looking road bike coming up the hill northbound right after the onroad crossing of the MVT who proceeded to yell at the pedestrian for not moving out of his way. To him I say, you're welcome for me paying enough attention to quickly slow down and move to the grass to avoid a head on collision with you per your decision to simply take the other side of the path because you didn't get your way. I also say, you can't expect a pedestrian to move over simply because you stated an intent to pass. It's a yield scenario and me yielding into the grass isn't really part of that equation.

Finally, to the drivers of the GWP who continually believe running the red light at Slaters is a good idea, I say you in the Honda accord nearly hit a pedestrian crossing and I had literally reached to grab my phone expecting to call 911. No one needs to get home that dangerously or that fast.

Yep, today can only be a better commute relative to the jackaloons of yesterday.

GuyContinental
07-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Yep, today can only be a better commute relative to the jackaloons of yesterday.

No joke- what was with people yesterday? I had more car-craziness in one day than I usually get in a week. Was it the heat?

I will attempt to use the term "jackaloon" at least three more times today

pfunkallstar
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Not sure, but I definitely had a kamikaze tourist almost take me out on Memorial Bridge, they were actually hiding behind the column on the VA side and jumped out at me Halloween style. Many f-bombs were wasted.

Terpfan
07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Not sure, but I definitely had a kamikaze tourist almost take me out on Memorial Bridge, they were actually hiding behind the column on the VA side and jumped out at me Halloween style. Many f-bombs were wasted.

I feel bad, but I did laugh at that one. I'm glad most of the tourists avoid 14th St Bridge.

KelOnWheels
07-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Just saw a group roll down Columbia toward 18th towing a trailer blasting the Beasties. Looked like a fun ride :D

jamilkb
07-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Hey buddy....you...the one on the mountain bike...wearing a white T-Shirt & Shorts....the one that decided to pass me unannounced on the 14th St bridge this morning around 6:15am...do you remember?....I was the one on the black road bike with two black Ortlieb's on the back, and a bright blinky red light on the rear....
I just want to say thanks!
Thanks for not bothering to announce your pass on one of the narrowest crossings on the trail...
Thanks for proceeding to get 50 yards in front of me and then slowing down your pace....guess you spent all your energy on that pass...
Thanks for proceeding to slow your pace even more and decide to test the bounciness of your tires as you exited the bridge on the down slope towards the memorial....you know...right at the optimal down-hill swift coasting point.....
Thanks for slowing to the point that I was practically on your heels by the time we proceeded onto the sidewalk to go around the memorial....
Hope you don't mind that I grew bored & annoyed of your antics and decided to pass you in the same fashion that you passed me........of course, I was capable of maintaining a sensible pace after passing.

Jason
07-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Dear Tourist:

You yelled at me saying "WE CAN SEE YOU ALREADY" noting my hi-viz shirt and blinkey lights. Good thing you and your hordes didnt want to bother giving even two feet of space for me and the biker in front of me. I suppose you were just too busy admiring my hi-vis bike accoutramont to do anything about it. I responded "Awesome, maybe your group can move out of the way next time" as your several kids veered all over the very wide mall sidewalks across from the whitehouse. I am sorry, but you about twenty seconds to decide to yell your profanity at me. I was already a block away. Sorry we didnt have a chance to dance!

OneEighth
07-27-2012, 07:42 AM
You: red jersey, black shorts, green backpack, black LeMond.
Me: Slightly annoyed at first that you passed without warning and then didn't keep up the pace. But then dutifully doing my best to be helpful by calling out all our passes for you once I realized that you needed to save your breath for the brutal uphills heading toward Rosslyn on the Custis...
Thank you for putting a smirk on my face---the only thing better would have been if you had seen me closing on you on the uphills while riding no-hands.

pfunkallstar
07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
You: red jersey, black shorts, green backpack, black LeMond.
Me: Slightly annoyed at first that you passed without warning and then didn't keep up the pace. But then dutifully doing my best to be helpful by calling out all our passes for you once I realized that you needed to save your breath for the brutal uphills heading toward Rosslyn on the Custis...
Thank you for putting a smirk on my face---the only thing better would have been if you had seen me closing on you on the uphills while riding no-hands.

Ah Mr. Green Backpack Lemond, I know him well. Best place to take him is on the hill up near the Arlington Ed Center - choke point!

vvill
07-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Not a missed connection, but there was a guy on the MVT a couple afternoons ago on a super BLING shiny Cannondale MTB that looked brand new, with bright yellow (or perhaps light green) shoes, no helmet and no (or almost invisible) socks. Anyone else see him? It was like there were big rotating dollar signs hovering in front of me. Truly an amazing sight but those terrible MVT hills slowed him down a fair bit so I didn't stay behind him too long. I think I may have dinged my bell/called a pass on his behalf but in my entranced state I don't remember. (And yes I'm being smug, I'm sure he *could* have just finished a big ride and been totally pooped. But it still fell well outside of the range of usual bikes/riders on the trail.)

rcannon100
07-27-2012, 09:31 AM
The shinier the toys, the more likely their poseurs.

I just love on the weekends seeing a happy couple on bright shiny bikes, with matching spandex, and matching water bottles.

Ah Happy Loving Couples

http://youtu.be/XY45f-9wtXA

TwoWheelsDC
07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
The shinier the toys, the more likely their poseurs.

I just love on the weekends seeing a happy couple on bright shiny bikes, with matching spandex, and matching water bottles.

Ah Happy Loving Couples

A while back, and I can't remember if it was DC or some other place, I saw a couple wearing matching road kit (like honest to goodness kit, with a bunch of "sponsor" logos and what not), matching road shoes with SPD-SL pedals, the whole works...they were riding matching Huffy full-suspension bikes on an MUP.

ShawnoftheDread
07-27-2012, 10:20 AM
A while back, and I can't remember if it was DC or some other place, I saw a couple wearing matching road kit (like honest to goodness kit, with a bunch of "sponsor" logos and what not), matching road shoes with SPD-SL pedals, the whole works...they were riding matching Huffy full-suspension bikes on an MUP.

I don't understand these kind of couples. If my wife comes out of the house wearing a hat, I take mine off.

JimF22003
07-27-2012, 10:39 PM
The smug is strong in this thread...

consularrider
07-28-2012, 02:07 PM
The smug is strong in this thread...
Yes little padawan, ;)

creadinger
07-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Wednesday morning ~6:30am heading west on the Custis out to Loudon county for a long ride. Seriously?? You running club punks think the S-curve of death is the BEST place to do hill repeats in the morning?! Really? Your club organizers can't find ANY other hills to run their 20 trainees up and down? Jesus Christ.

Surprisingly you all seemed relatively organized. Except for the dumb lady at the top who pulled a Crazy Ivan on me.

GuyContinental
07-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Wednesday morning ~6:30am heading west on the Custis out to Loudon county for a long ride. Seriously?? You running club punks think the S-curve of death is the BEST place to do hill repeats in the morning?! Really? Your club organizers can't find ANY other hills to run their 20 trainees up and down? Jesus Christ.

Surprisingly you all seemed relatively organized. Except for the dumb lady at the top who pulled a Crazy Ivan on me.

Ha! I ran into that same horde on their way there via EFC and see them frequently on points in between- 30+ runners in a gaggle. They generally do an ok job of braying "bike!" when being overtaken but almost never have appropriately visible gear much less blinkies. I really wish that the organizers would emphasize some of the really dangerous trail behaviors (Crazy Ivan) and set a good example by requiring lights.

On a related note- I understand that there is a NVPA restriction on organized groups of over 15 people using the trail without a use permit, not that I'm going to be the one to throw stones but I might think about it if I witnessed what Creadinger did...

pfunkallstar
07-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Seen this before - still does not compute. There are literally five hills just right by the S-curve of Doom that would be better in terms of safety, fitness, and common courtesy.

DaveK
07-30-2012, 09:53 AM
On a related note- I understand that there is a NVPA restriction on organized groups of over 15 people using the trail without a use permit, not that I'm going to be the one to throw stones but I might think about it if I witnessed what Creadinger did...

Custis is Arlington County, NVRPA runs the W&OD. Why not find out where the club is organized and give them a call? They may have no idea that they're getting in the way and would appreciate the suggestion.

OneEighth
07-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Custis is Arlington County, NVRPA runs the W&OD. Why not find out where the club is organized and give them a call? They may have no idea that they're getting in the way and would appreciate the suggestion.

Far too reasonable. You clearly had a much too easy commute this morning. Go play in traffic until you come to your senses.

jnva
07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Our paths cross almost every day, suicidal bunny. I missed you again today, but one day I am sure we may connect, suicidal bunny...

KelOnWheels
07-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Dear lightless hipster salmon on Columbia: I just came way too close to hitting both of you with my car since I was checking the bike lane BEHIND me before I pulled in to park. Try the lane on the other side with the arrow going the same direction as you.

eminva
08-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I don't mean to be snarky at all here, but I thought this was the best thread for the following:

Dear cyclist with child in child seat on the back of your bike (Custis Trail this morning, just before 9 a.m.):

Your backpack is repeatedly hitting your child in the face. She looked a little young to tell you this herself (I think it was a girl).

Liz

Tim Kelley
08-03-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't mean to be snarky at all here, but I thought this was the best thread for the following:

Dear cyclist with child in child seat on the back of your bike (Custis Trail this morning, just before 9 a.m.):

Your backpack is repeatedly hitting your child in the face. She looked a little young to tell you this herself (I think it was a girl).

Liz

It wasn't me--we take roads and bike lanes!

eminva
08-03-2012, 08:43 AM
It wasn't me--we take roads and bike lanes!

I know -- I would have recognized you.

Liz

aflapr
08-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Liz

Ouch - this is why I like the iBert. Plus, it makes our daughter feel like she is on a parade float - so she waves to everyone. It's nice to look at the faces of folks coming the other way, 95% of the time it will draw a big smile.

TwoWheelsDC
08-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I'll just leave this here....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7277/7713583010_8371261241.jpg

bobco85
08-05-2012, 12:01 PM
To the mother who saw me fixing a flat (thanks Fairfax County for having a 4 inch lip between Braddock Road and Columbia Road, another flat from riding in Fairfax for me) on Columbia Road at 11 at night, turned around (which actually scared me because you don't know who is going to do what at night), asked me if I was okay, and then said, "My son is a cyclist. I live near here and will send him out to help you if you're still here.":

Thank you. That was probably the nicest thing I've ever had someone do to a cyclist, especially considering it was 11 pm.

Additional thanks go to her (teenage?) son, who did come by with a flashlight (I had my bike lights, but it did help to have another angle) and offered to bring a pump, spare tube, etc. if I needed them. I was prepared and was able to change the tube out, but did appreciate the concern. Also, if I were still alone at that point I'd be dropping f-bombs and such.

I was able to make it back home without any trouble afterwards, but felt it was definitely worth mentioning the acts of kindness I received last night.

lordofthemark
08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I am sorry that motorcycle slamming into the car coming southbound, in the center, pushed the left hand north bound lane drivers over into the right hand lane. That did not, I think, give y'all the right to use the bike lane to compensate. Yes, there was no one in the bike lane at the moment, but that was because I had pulled onto the sidewalk to stop and look to see if anyone was hurt (no one was, and others stopped to help, and I was too pre-occupied with my riding to be a good witness) I wanted to go on my way, but could not immediately return to the bike lane due to your appropriating it.

dasgeh
08-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Ouch - this is why I like the iBert. Plus, it makes our daughter feel like she is on a parade float - so she waves to everyone. It's nice to look at the faces of folks coming the other way, 95% of the time it will draw a big smile.

Ditto for the BoBike Mini (which I like to hawk because (1) you can only buy online and (2) it's cooler and more adjustable than the iBert = lots of people tell us they wish they had heard of it before buying the iBert). It also helps that our daughter has a pink mohawk on her helmet. Tourists were taking pictures of us went we went down to the Mall on Saturday.

pfunkallstar
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Dear dude in the fluorescent green vest en route to the W&ODizzy on Van Buren this morning who REALLY wanted a Cat 6 race,

I was waiting for the multi-ton SUV to actually indicate whether it was going to proceed in our direction, I'm sorry I had to slow down for this. However, you cutting across from behind me in front of the SUV to shave a few seconds off your trip into town was just stupid. Moreover, just as a rule, try to keep up the pace if you are going to Cat 6 - you need to do some hill work, buy some shoes, or something. You moustachio is baller.

Love,

Pfunk

aflapr
08-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Ditto for the BoBike Mini (which I like to hawk because (1) you can only buy online and (2) it's cooler and more adjustable than the iBert = lots of people tell us they wish they had heard of it before buying the iBert)...

Thanks for the tip. We bought the iBert because it was the first front carrier I had come across. We were living in Key West at the time and it worked great for us down there. Now our has reached the weight limit for the iBert - the BoBike Maxi looks like a worthy next step.

jrenaut
08-07-2012, 08:34 AM
...the BoBike Maxi...
That is a truly horrible name for a thing.

dasgeh
08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the tip. We bought the iBert because it was the first front carrier I had come across. We were living in Key West at the time and it worked great for us down there. Now our has reached the weight limit for the iBert - the BoBike Maxi looks like a worthy next step.

A woman in my office has the BoBike Junior (the one that folds down - it's for older kids). That one looks cool.

Terpfan
08-08-2012, 07:40 AM
This is for your Mr. Quick Step jersey on your mountainbike. While you do need your ego checked down a few notches, I'm not going to fight you over me saying you didn't call your pass and you saying you did. Speaking of which, who the hell stops his bike and says he wants to fight over something so stupid? I can only imagine how crappy your life must be to get flustered over something so small in the grand scheme of things.

But it does beg the point that when making a pass, if you're not going to use a bell then you need to do it loudly, especially when we're underneath a highway overpass where it's naturally noisy. And your answer that I couldn't hear it because of my earbuds (while amusing to me since they weren't actually on for once and when they are, they're on low volume) is sort of a poor argument anyway since the point of calling the pass isn't for you to hear yourself.

That's it, have a great morning :).

GuyContinental
08-08-2012, 07:52 AM
And your answer that I couldn't hear it because of my earbuds (while amusing to me since they weren't actually on for once and when they are, they're on low volume) is sort of a poor argument anyway since the point of calling the pass isn't for you to hear yourself.

/curmudgeon on

You had me until this... on or off a bud has no business in your street-side (left) ear. Really. My numero uno with a bullet MUP irritant is folks not hearing my pass call because of buds. Would I start a fight over it? Heck no, but I *might* not bother to warn a bud-wearer of my pass since 95% of the time they don't hear me anyway. You are right- his calling the pass is largely for your benefit but you hearing it is for yours...

/curmudgeon off

rcannon100
08-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Um yeah. Having ear buds is non-verbal communication for "you dont have to bother to call your pass."

I ring my bell anyway - but I also the 1% (there is an occupy protest taking place in my pannier)

baiskeli
08-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Um yeah. Having ear buds is non-verbal communication for "you dont have to bother to call your pass."

If someone with earbuds ever complained that I didn't call a pass, I'd say "how do you know I didn't?"

Terpfan
08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
/curmudgeon on

You had me until this... on or off a bud has no business in your street-side (left) ear. Really. My numero uno with a bullet MUP irritant is folks not hearing my pass call because of buds. Would I start a fight over it? Heck no, but I *might* not bother to warn a bud-wearer of my pass since 95% of the time they don't hear me anyway. You are right- his calling the pass is largely for your benefit but you hearing it is for yours...

/curmudgeon off

That's a fair point on the earbuds as is Rcannon's post. I was expecting a call and left them in so I would know when to pull off (can't hear the phone or feel it on MVT otherwise).

At the same time, I call my passes regardless of whether or not someone has earbuds in. Particularly with the bell as I have had runners tell me they can hear the bell even with their earbuds in. My whole goal is so the person knows i'm passing and doesn't move left for some reason, pull a crazy ivan or otherwise. I do it because it's required but more so so because it's safer for me.

sjclaeys
08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
As someone who also runs on the W&OD in the morning, I can still hear call outs with my earbuds in, so keep them coming. You know that I hear you when I give a little wave with my left hand.

pfunkallstar
08-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Have to agree on the no earbud thing - nonetheless the guy who wears DJ headphones and rides on the MVT with no hands - that is just dangerous.

GuyContinental
08-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Don't get me wrong- thanks in part to participating this forum, I call 99.9% of passes and say thank you whenever someone makes a move to clear the way. It's just that I get frustrated with the earbud crowd not hearing even shrill announcements and I *consider* not bothering.

Also, I don't have an issue with a r-ear only bud as long as the left ear is totally clear. I use one myself to hear podcasts and training prompts from my phone. I buy the cheapie ($12) over the ear but not in the ear canal style and immediately clip off the left bud. This means no stereo sound (since I scissor off the left channel) unless you buy a 2-channel single ear bud (which is tough to find)

bobco85
08-08-2012, 09:28 AM
But it does beg the point that when making a pass, if you're not going to use a bell then you need to do it loudly, especially when we're underneath a highway overpass where it's naturally noisy. And your answer that I couldn't hear it because of my earbuds (while amusing to me since they weren't actually on for once and when they are, they're on low volume) is sort of a poor argument anyway since the point of calling the pass isn't for you to hear yourself.

When you leave the trail and enter a roadway, I hope you remove one of the earbuds. It's illegal in VA, MD, and DC to be on the road with both earbuds in (you're allowed to have one in because that covers wireless headsets).

I use the trails for walking on occasion, and will wear my headphones (clip-on kind) on a medium volume level where I can still hear outside stuff (like the whirring of bike wheels and passes), so I understand that you can wear them without too much auditory loss to the outside environment. It's weird, I'm fine with walking with headphones, but find biking with headphones past my comfort zone.

jhr
08-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Dear cyclist riding down Washington Blvd (in the actual road) and the GW Parkway toward Memorial Bridge,

I'm impressed by your balls. Please consider donating them to science when a driver you've given the finger runs you over in a fit of road rage. I will continue to cheer you on and worry for your sanity from the safety of the path on the path on the side of the road.

Mikey
08-08-2012, 10:16 AM
To the mother who saw me fixing a flat (thanks Fairfax County for having a 4 inch lip between Braddock Road and Columbia Road, another flat from riding in Fairfax for me) on Columbia Road at 11 at night, turned around (which actually scared me because you don't know who is going to do what at night), asked me if I was okay, and then said, "My son is a cyclist. I live near here and will send him out to help you if you're still here.":

Thank you. That was probably the nicest thing I've ever had someone do to a cyclist, especially considering it was 11 pm.

Additional thanks go to her (teenage?) son, who did come by with a flashlight (I had my bike lights, but it did help to have another angle) and offered to bring a pump, spare tube, etc. if I needed them. I was prepared and was able to change the tube out, but did appreciate the concern. Also, if I were still alone at that point I'd be dropping f-bombs and such.

I was able to make it back home without any trouble afterwards, but felt it was definitely worth mentioning the acts of kindness I received last night.

Did he lift your wallet when you weren't looking?

Mikey
08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
As a general rule can we make it a forum foul to mention the word earbuds, helmet, scofflaw, or other such triggers of conversations that have been beat to death. It'll be fun, like the on-line version of Taboo the board game. i.e.

you - "Blah, Blah, Blah, ya-da, yada, blah, earbud, blah. . ."
Me - "TABOO!"
you - "good form, 2 points"

ShawnoftheDread
08-08-2012, 10:46 AM
As a general rule can we make it a forum foul to mention the word earbuds, helmet, scofflaw, or other such triggers of conversations that have been beat to death. It'll be fun, like the on-line version of Taboo the board game. i.e.

you - "Blah, Blah, Blah, ya-da, yada, blah, earbud, blah. . ."
Me - "TABOO!"
you - "good form, 2 points"

New forum readers come all the time, so a continuing dialogue is helpful. I wore earbuds my first two months of commuting (though not loudly), until being convinced through this forum that it wasn't a good idea.

Mikey
08-08-2012, 10:50 AM
New forum readers come all the time, so a continuing dialogue is helpful. I wore earbuds my first two months of commuting (though not loudly), until being convinced through this forum that it wasn't a good idea.

Taboo! - 2 pts me!

rcannon100
08-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Dear cyclist riding down Washington Blvd (in the actual road) and the GW Parkway toward Memorial Bridge,

I'm impressed by your balls. Please consider donating them to science when a driver you've given the finger runs you over in a fit of road rage. I will continue to cheer you on and worry for your sanity from the safety of the path on the path on the side of the road.

Now that's an excellent first post! Smug. Snarky. Not Declaring all Cyclists are equated to that ELITE cyclist. Humorous.

rcannon100
08-08-2012, 10:52 AM
However we do it, it would clear be a positive contribution to debate and discourse if we turned this forum into a form of a drinking game - to be carried out at the happy hour or perhaps during long rides down the Woe'D.

Mark Blacknell
08-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Yeah, I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to rolling my eyes at yet another helmet/earbuds/passing debate, but my solution is just to mostly stay away from them. There's always someone to whom it's new and useful. Cycling advocacy certainly didn't start the moment I first drew a chair to the table, and I'm very glad that the folks who came before were willing to indulge my questions and grappling with the issues.

/leaves to get back to drinking games with rcannon100

vvill
08-08-2012, 11:26 AM
I wore earbuds my first two months of commuting (though not loudly)

I did the same, although mostly only on my commute to/from the metro station, and usually I wore clip-ons (supra-aural). I actually wore earbuds last week during a few laps around Hains and felt so naughty. TABOO!

DaveK
08-08-2012, 11:56 AM

Saw one of these guys this morning on my way in. I gave him a thumbs-up.

KLizotte
08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
As someone who also runs on the W&OD in the morning, I can still hear call outs with my earbuds in, so keep them coming. You know that I hear you when I give a little wave with my left hand.

That is so awesome that you acknowledge the calls. :D I wish all peds did that as it would greatly increase safety for all involved. As someone badly hurt in a recent bike splat, I am now suddenly all too well aware of how easy it is to get hurt on a MUP even if you don't actually hit anything (other than the ground that is).

TwoWheelsDC
08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Speaking of calling passes...yelling "it's clear, go go go! passing! passing!" at me as I approach the STOP sign on the MVT coming off the 14th St. bridge doesn't have the motivational effect that maybe you think it does, sir. Kindly chill the f**k out.

DismalScientist
08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Speaking of calling passes...yelling "it's clear, go go go! passing! passing!" at me as I approach the STOP sign on the MVT coming off the 14th St. bridge doesn't have the motivational effect that maybe you think it does, sir. Kindly chill the f**k out.

I had something similar happen to me as I stopped for a traffic light at Oak on Clarendon. As the road is three lanes wide there, his running into my back didn't particularly concern me.

Terpfan
08-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Usually I offer complaints here. Today, a compliment. To the guy biking byJefferson along Ohio Drive (ok, I know it's called something else right there by the Jefferson, but I'm too lazy too look it up and I forget what it is), awesome Imperial beer jersey. Pura vida.

KelOnWheels
08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Who did I just see in a Bike Arlington vest riding a red Merckx south at 3rd & C NW? :)

acc
08-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Confession: this week I'm riding a beat up beach cruiser I talked a nice lady into renting me by the day instead of by the hour. I mean come on-- renting by the hour, how far can I get in an hour? It is rusting, has no gears and the brakes---what brakes? But all that aside, even riding the Flintstone bike I obey things like STOPLIGHTS. Unlike the father and 12 year old son on road bikes next to me. Dad insisted that kid blow through the redlight. Yeah, at the beach where everyone drives super careful.

FWIW-- A beach cruiser is a blast to ride in flip flops and board shorts.

DaveK
08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
vest

Merckx

Does not compute.

JustinW
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
FWIW-- A beach cruiser is a blast to ride in flip flops and board shorts. --- and did you BYO rhinestones?

vvill
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Someone on a red Giant (TCX 3?) in a BikeArlington jersey with a backpack around 8:30am today going E/SE near the beginning the W&OD? Very skinny, tall, Schleckesque and going a good pace.

Jason
08-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Dear people walking on the trail near the Iwo Jima: Please keep your fat child from reaching out and trying to grab a piece of me to eat while I ride by. The four of you are not entittled to to take up the entire path AND eat me. I wish to keep all my limbs and vital stickey-out bits. Thank you.

Kidding aside, a large mammalian child did try and reach out and grab me as I rode past while his parents laughed about it. WTF? Am I ok in yelling out "control your animals" because thats what I did. I nearly went hardcore punk - mosh on them.

DismalScientist
08-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Speaking as a parent, children are wild and unpredictable animals. They just don't make leashes short enough. I would never take my kids on one of the busier trails when they were younger.

That said, be prepared to take evasive maneuvers anytime when around children. Pass as far away as possible and consider not calling out passes around kids.

This in no way excuses the parents in this episode. Laughing is inexcusable. The appropriate response is for the parent to tell the kid that what he did was dangerous. However, physically controlling them may not be possible.

Jason
08-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Speaking as a parent, children are wild and unpredictable animals. They just don't make leashes short enough. I would never take my kids on one of the busier trails when they were younger.

That said, be prepared to take evasive maneuvers anytime when around children. Pass as far away as possible and consider not calling out passes around kids.

This in no way excuses the parents in this episode. Laughing is inexcusable. The appropriate response is for the parent to tell the kid that what he did was dangerous. However, physically controlling them may not be possible.

TOTALLY! I pass SUPER wide from kids, learned that after the first month of commuting, the HARD way a few times. Was not prepared for children actually running up to me to grab me. Especially 12 year olds, shoudlnt they know better. I swear, large mammals from the suburbs will be the death of me.

eminva
08-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Am I ok in yelling out "control your animals" because thats what I did.

Jason, you are starting to sound like the rest of us here!

Anyway, the nice weather brings ample quantities of tourists, families and joggers to our trails. Expect it to be like this until serious fall weather sets in.

I've noticed it is not unusual for kids jogging or cycling with their parents behind them to turn their head to look back, and naturally their bodies follow, taking them right into the path of oncoming traffic. I usually give a sharp "Hello!" or "Heads Up!" just to get the kid's attention and focus back where it belongs. I'm surprised at how few parents seem to register any reaction. You'd think the natural preservation instinct would kick in and they'd want to protect their kid from a head on collision.

Liz

Jason
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Anyway, the nice weather brings ample quantities of tourists, families and joggers to our trails. Expect it to be like this until serious fall weather sets in.

I've noticed it is not unusual for kids jogging or cycling with their parents behind them to turn their head to look back, and naturally their bodies follow, taking them right into the path of oncoming traffic. I usually give a sharp "Hello!" or "Heads Up!" just to get the kid's attention and focus back where it belongs. I'm surprised at how few parents seem to register any reaction. You'd think the natural preservation instinct would kick in and they'd want to protect their kid from a head on collision.

Liz

yeah, I am working on exactly the right timing with the bell, the "behind you" or "heads up" depending on what kind of tourist, how far away I am, their speed, my speed, ect. Its a complex mix of social engineering, experience, and luck. In the meantime, I am hoping not to get eaten by any zombie children.

Amalitza
08-15-2012, 01:10 PM

I've noticed it is not unusual for kids jogging or cycling with their parents behind them to turn their head to look back, and naturally their bodies follow, taking them right into the path of oncoming traffic. I usually give a sharp "Hello!" or "Heads Up!" just to get the kid's attention and focus back where it belongs.

Liz

I always tell the kids "you're fine where you are, I'm just letting you know where I am" or something along those lines if they turn around and look at me. I figure they don't know why these grown-ups on bikes are yelling at them about passing if no one tells them, and most kids are likely thinking they're supposed to *do* something in response to an adult telling them something. So I make sure to let them know they are not supposed to move anywhere, and what my purpose is for telling them I'm passing them. And I *always* tell children "I'm passing you now!" rather than just dinging the bell, as I also assume they have no idea what the bell means.

rcannon100
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Bright flashing lights. Bright primary colors. Bells going ping (one ping only). Sometimes cool jerseys. Bicycles. Yup - that's gonna attract a kids attention.

One of the reasons I will avoid the MUPs on the weekends - when the parentals bring their replicants out to the trails to learn how to ride. Like taking a teenager to the audoban to learn how to drive.

Certifried
08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
They're pinging away with their active bike bells like they're looking for something, but nobody's listening. They're moving at almost forty knots. At that speed, they could run right over my daughter's stereo and not hear it.

(para-phrased)

Amalitza
08-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Dear guy in white t-shirt and no helmet this morning at richmond hwy and fort hunt rd.

Dude. I am not a fanatic about other bicyclists wearing helmets, not at all. That said, if you are going to 1) run red lights, 2) on Richmond Highway, 3) in rush hour traffic, 4) by flying out into the intersection from between two lanes of stopped cars, you might want to think about wearing yours. I prefer to not start my morning by having to look at your brains splattered all over the road. tyvm.

baiskeli
08-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Dear a--hole on a bike who decided to pass the bike traffic on the Penn. Ave. bike lanes, through an intersection, by swinging into oncoming bike traffic and then into oncoming car traffic:

you're an a--hole.

baiskeli
08-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Crazy Ivan!

By a pair of tourists on CaBi bikes who suddenly decided they don't want to cross the Memorial Bridge after all.

ShawnoftheDread
08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Me: cruising on Penn past the White House.
You: Clearly 1989's Conway Twitty. Man, I'm a huge fan of your work. You should do some more duets with Loretta.

KelOnWheels
08-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Me: Passing a cyclist on the left on the sidewalk by the Tidal Basin.

You: Chick on a Tommaso passing me on the right at the SAME TIME. (Or, also passing the same cyclist on the left.)

I see why you wear elbow & knee pads to ride in the city. You might wanna think about a helmet.

Oops, did I shoal you three times after that? My bad.

ShawnoftheDread
08-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Me: Passing a cyclist on the left on the sidewalk by the Tidal Basin.

You: Chick on a Tommaso passing me on the right at the SAME TIME.

I see why you wear elbow & knee pads to ride in the city. You might wanna think about a helmet.

Oops, did I shoal you three times after that? My bad.

Elbow and knee pads?! Is this a thing?

Arlingtonrider
08-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Elbow and knee pads might indicate a new cyclist in need of some gentle education, or a roller derby queen in need of more shoaling.

Certifried
08-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Elbow and knee pads might indicate a new cyclist in need of some gentle education, or a roller derby queen in need of more shoaling.

Just be a Pal (http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/pal-safety-on-our-streets/)

Terpfan
08-16-2012, 11:31 AM
yeah, I am working on exactly the right timing with the bell, the "behind you" or "heads up" depending on what kind of tourist, how far away I am, their speed, my speed, ect. Its a complex mix of social engineering, experience, and luck. In the meantime, I am hoping not to get eaten by any zombie children.

As bad as it sounds, I've largely stopped using my bell around kids because it's created more situations than it has solved. I think my bell sounds too close to the damn ice cream truck so it's the pleasant variety rather than the angry get-to-class bell.

KelOnWheels
08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Elbow and knee pads?! Is this a thing?

MTBers.

Arlingtonrider
08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Certifried, You're right, of course. I did speak up a couple of times, though, when I saw people obviously very new to cycling do something that they might not have realized was dangerous, e.g. -- "Is this your first time bike commuting/biking here? You might not have realized it, but what you just did . . ." followed by "WABA offers some great courses if you're interested." I might have been lucky, but the people in both of those instances seemed to take it well. Both incidents occurred on or near the 14th Street bridge.

And as far as passing little kids goes, I slow way down and talk them through it -- "Keep going straight just like you are. I'm going to pass you." Then "Great job!" if they hold their line. The smiles they give after that are definitely worth the slowing down.

txgoonie
08-16-2012, 12:11 PM
MTBers.

No self respecting MTBer wears elbow or knee pads. (Downhillers or BMX racers, maybe.)

JustinW
08-16-2012, 02:52 PM
And as far as passing little kids goes, I slow way down and talk them through it -- "Keep going straight just like you are. I'm going to pass you." Then "Great job!" if they hold their line. The smiles they give after that are definitely worth the slowing down.

Easier still - have a stash of chocolates handy, and toss them away from the trail while alerting the kids to their presence...

Arlingtonrider
08-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I tried that, but the adults kept taking them. ;)

pfunkallstar
08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Sorry about that...

ShawnoftheDread
08-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Me: Starting out my ride northbound on the MVT.
You: Zombie William F. Buckley, ambling south on the trail, standing athwart corpse decay yelling "Stop!"

Certifried
08-17-2012, 08:27 AM

^^ THIS! is awesome! I've been 1/2 doing that, but need to start doing it more. I always ring my bell and let them know I'm passing, and try to encourage them or give them a thumbs up. The younger kids really don't know the difference between Lance Armstrong and myself (hey, let me have my fantasy) so they really get excited when "big bikes" give them encouragement or even acknowledge them. It really gets them excited about what they're doing, maybe even creating memories and a love of cycling for life. All it really takes is slowing down (which everyone should be doing around kids on trails anyway!) and a few encouraging words, awesome idea!

mstone
08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
To they guy on Fairfax going through the Glebe intersection in Ballston with head down and no hands on the bike due to the necessities of texting: do the enormous balls make it hard to find a comfortable saddle?

KelOnWheels
08-18-2012, 01:46 PM
No self respecting MTBer wears elbow or knee pads. (Downhillers or BMX racers, maybe.)

Yeah, in retrospect, I think they were derby pads. Also I'm pretty sure she had two elbow pads and just one knee pad.

jordash
08-19-2012, 12:29 AM
It's silly to think that even at our best we do not infuriate others with whom we share these paths. Just because you are indignant does not mean you are absolutely right. And by all means use extreme caution in exchanging "educational words" with others. You'll likely sound a) combative b) condescending c) out of breath d) wrong e) any combination of the preceding.

Just like that guy who punched me in the arm when I made (perhaps a rash) choice to pass a long convoy of women struggling up a hill on the MVT. Was he right that I should not have passed at that time? Maybe. Did he think before punching me in the arm that maybe I was sick of pedaling in the single digits waiting for a chance to pass or that he, descending a hill, could have simply tapped his brakes to allow me to muscle past? Probably not. Instead he made a very dangerous split-second decision to sock me in the arm. If what I was doing was dangerous, he certainly could have caused triple the damage. And for what?

Do not be a Bolshevik; to be indignant is only temporary; take a breath and enjoy your ride.

Arlingtonrider
08-19-2012, 07:34 AM
We were taking about little kids in these last few posts. Careful judgments need to be made about the potential receptiveness of others. Of the two people I tried to help after some friendly conversation, one was very obviously a beginning bike rider and the other turned out to be a lost and somewhat clueless tourist. Both seemed to be looking around for someone to help them, so it wasn't just luck that they were receptive.

With regard to the post above, it speaks for itself.

eminva
08-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Interesting point -- my son and I were on the receiving end of some fast cyclist vitriol yesterday, mid-morning. We went to Spokes in Vienna and as we left, we decided to ride down the same side of Maple and cross that street at the W&OD, where we'd have a signal and no turning cars to contend with. When we got there, the light was red for the trail and already a long line of cyclists and pedestrians was forming to cross. My son was attempting to position himself in line (coming at it from the side) and was partially blocking the opposite side of the trail while he was maneuvering. A cyclist coming the other way blew through the red signal and yelled, "you're standing in the middle of the road!" at my son. My son was so upset, he asked afterwards what is wrong with a society where people yell at bystanders while they break the law (yes, he did articulate it that way).

But really, cyclists looking for a speedy workout? The eastern portions of the W&OD in the middle of a Saturday morning when the weather is beautiful? There are some country lanes out in Loudon if you are so desperate to go fast you are reduced to yelling at kids.

Sorry for my rant.

Liz (a.k.a. Tiger mother)

Certifried
08-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Sadly, this guy didn't miss
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Santa-Rosa-man-81-jailed-in-road-rage-attack-3798718.php

Fortunately, the cyclist is (relatively) OK.

mstone
08-20-2012, 02:43 PM
To the racer drafting the 18 wheeler on the FFX county parkway trail (downhill on the detour toward the greenway; I really hope the truck was somehow construction-related or that guy really shouldn't be driving): I'm not sure I'd ride that close in the blind spot of a big truck, but when the truck exited the detour back onto the parkway, I was really impressed with the way you cut off the oncoming car and then zipped around the truck, managing to avoid the left hook. Had it been me I'd need new bike shorts at the very least.

eminva
08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Hello to the man I attempted to help in an ill-fated Good Samaritan gesture (late afternoon on the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge):

I'm very sorry my tube didn't fit your tire. I realized when I was almost home that I still had the money you kindly offered me for the tube, even though the tube ended up being the wrong size! If you read this, please let me know how I can get your money back to you. We were both too polite; you in offering the money and me in taking it. And now see how it turned out!

Hope you got home okay, if late.

Liz

vvill
08-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Do you know if the tube didn't fit? Tubes are supposedly quite flexible in terms of what tires/wheels they will actually fit.

ShawnoftheDread
08-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Do you know if the tube didn't fit? Tubes are supposedly quite flexible in terms of what tires/wheels they will actually fit.

When I changed out my 700c, 12 year old tires I found a 27" tube that had been rolling fine for at least 6 years.

eminva
08-23-2012, 09:36 PM

The tube was 700 x 23-25 and the tire was 700 x 28 1/2. I thought it would be adequate to get him to the bike shop at least, but he didn't want to chance it.

Liz

vvill
08-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Kudos on helping out. FWIW, I think at that size differential the tube would've been more than fine.

ShawnoftheDread
08-23-2012, 09:46 PM
The tube was 700 x 23-25 and the tire was 700 x 28 1/2. I thought it would be adequate to get him to the bike shop at least, but he didn't want to chance it.

Liz

They're very stretchy. It should have worked, at least as a temp.

GuyContinental
08-24-2012, 08:25 AM
They're very stretchy. It should have worked, at least as a temp.

Yup- I've done this twice this month with 23-25mm tubes on 34mm CX tires at ~80psi (I always forget to bring the right tube in my saddle bag when I change wheels). They are more susceptible to pinch flats (hence the second flat...) and punctures but It'll get you home. The biggest problem I've found is that a 40mm presta on a 23mm tube in a 34mm tire on a wheel with some dish hugs the tire more than the inside of the wheel, shortening the stem length to the point that my micro pump can't make a good connection. I have to use a schrader adapter and a CO2.

jrenaut
08-24-2012, 08:48 AM
To the cabbie pulling through the bike lane to pick up a fare and cutting me off - Thanks so much for making me test my brakes! It prepared me well for:

To the Texas SUV who also cut me off: I don't know what the laws are like in Texas, but around here it's illegal to turn right in front of a stopped bus, even if you HAD yielded to bikes in the lane you crossed (which you didn't).

To the woman trying to make an illegal left at PA and 7th: I don't know how nearly hitting a cyclist didn't suggest to you that illegal turns there are inadvisable. I hope my yelling at you (thanks for keeping your window down!) convinced you.

And, lastly, thanks to the woman getting picked up by the cabbie for at least alerting him to the fact that he cut me off. I think he waved an apology.

Certifried
08-24-2012, 08:56 AM
I want to carry one of those Dog the Bounty Hunter mace paintball guns. I'd mace the shit out of their car and watch the A/C suck it in. Or day-dream about how when they get out of their car, they get it all over their hands, then rub their eyes and start to scream.

ShawnoftheDread
08-24-2012, 09:05 AM
I want to carry one of those Dog the Bounty Hunter mace paintball guns. I'd mace the shit out of their car and watch the A/C suck it in. Or day-dream about how when they get out of their car, they get it all over their hands, then rub their eyes and start to scream.

Or just a handlebar bag full of eggs. The same eggs, all summer long. How's your throwing arm from the saddle?

jrenaut
08-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Now, now, we love and respect all mankind, remember?

OneEighth
08-24-2012, 09:31 AM
If it doesn't take you down, it generally ends up behind you, yes?
Yes.
Serenity now and whatnot.

consularrider
08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
To the driver of the construction panel van and his spotter who decided it would be a good idea to pull up onto the sidewalk right in front of me in the stretch of N Ft Drive between east bound Lee Highway and 19th St N in Rosslyn leaving me with no where to go. Problem was the spotter was behind the truck instead of in front of it warning people that they were about to pull a bonehead maneuver. When I suggested this to the spotter, his comment is that they had work to do and that is was a sidewalk. It's already pretty bad getting through this area with all the construction going on and the way the timing sequence of the lights has been messed with over the past month.

ShawnoftheDread
08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
If it doesn't take you down, it generally ends up behind you, yes?
Yes.
Serenity now and whatnot.

Revenge fantasies are still fun to ponder.

GuyContinental
08-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Or just a handlebar bag full of eggs. The same eggs, all summer long. How's your throwing arm from the saddle?

My brother in Phoenix actually does this (well not the all summer part)- I get the impression that street commuting out there is truly truly horrendous. He has a basket on his commuter and a little nest for his eggs. He says he uses 1-2 a week... During the inevitable confrontations it helps that he's also 6'5"; 300# and has "ULGA THE BRINGER OF PAIN" stenciled on his frame but I'd be worried about them cowboys carrying sidearms meeself...

vvill
08-24-2012, 09:50 AM
To the cabbie pulling through the bike lane to pick up a fare and cutting me off - Thanks so much for making me test my brakes!

I had a cab driver get irate with me for having to nerve to ride in a bike lane (coming back from the Freshbikes ride on Tuesday) because he wanted to turn and stop in it to drop off a passenger. We both started from the same green light cycle. I had a short discussion with him, and suggested it was fine and "no big deal" for him to wait a few seconds for me to pass before he pulled over to stop, just as if I was a car in a normal traffic lane. He was adamant that he could do nothing of the sort and continued to be irate and insisted that it was a ridiculous situation "it IS a big deal!". He seemed to be ranting at a) the existence of a bike lane and b) the fact it was being used. I rode off feeling genuinely sorry for him. Still, better than the time in DC when a cab driver told me he would've shot me if he'd been carrying a gun.