PDA

View Full Version : Kidical Mass Arlington 2014

dasgeh
04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
It's Kidical Mass Season again! Hooray!

First up: a ride THIS SUNDAY - 4/6/14 meeting at Buzz Bakery in Ballston at 11:15am. We will ride to the APS Bike Show & Tell at W-L HS (which is basically around the corner from Buzz, but we'll ride 3 miles to get there). Details here (http://kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com/2014/04/this-sunday-3614-b-is-for.html).

Next up: planning to rest of the year. Have any thoughts? Requests? Schedule? Routes? Stops? Events? You can post on this thread, or on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/kidicalmassarlington), or tweet @kidicalmassarl (https://twitter.com/kidicalmassarl), or comment on the webpage (http://kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com/2014/04/spring-is-here-time-for-more-rides.html).

peterw_diy
04-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Aw, man. We have a schedule conflict this weekend! And our younger kid is just about to graduate out of the toddler seat. Have a great ride!

dasgeh
04-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Thoughts on the generic flyer? 5095

cyclingfool
04-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Me likey. :)

chris_s
04-07-2014, 03:40 PM
It was an excellent ride full of excellent people, excellent weather and an excellent meandering route. Only sadness in my mind was the lack of folks at the Bike Show n Tell. :(

P.S. Buzz makes a mean cookie and tasty coffee.

dasgeh
05-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Draft schedule for the season (May - October): Third Sundays plus Bonus rides

THIS IS JUST A DRAFT

Sunday, May 18th - Taste of Arlington (similar to last year -- meet around 11am, bike to Ballston)
Sunday, June 1 – Something, maybe South Arlington
Sunday, June 15 – Father’s Day
Sunday, July 6 – Tour de Kidical (ride to watch TdF)
Sunday, July 20 – Arlandria – Joint ride with the newly formed Kidical Mass Alexandria
Sunday, August 17 – Splashparks
Sunday, September 7 or 14th – Possibly meet in the middle with Kidical Mass DC
Saturday, September 27 – Clarendon Day
Saturday, October 4 – Arlington Fun Ride (I assume same as last year)
Sunday, October 19 – Harvest ride

Bolds are the bonus rides. There's a little bit of fuzziness towards the end there.
All dates subject to change due to weather, illness, etc. Always double check with us on Facebook, Twitter or the Website to confirm before showing up!

Thoughts?

CaseyKane50
05-01-2014, 04:16 PM
If your August date is not set in stone, what about a ride to the Arlington County Fair on August 10?

For the joint ride with the Alexandria contingent, you might consider a ride down Potomac Avenue from Crystal City. and then over to Commonwealth and then back to Crystal City.

dasgeh
05-01-2014, 04:33 PM
If your August date is not set in stone, what about a ride to the Arlington County Fair on August 10?

For the joint ride with the Alexandria contingent, you might consider a ride down Potomac Avenue from Crystal City. and then over to Commonwealth and then back to Crystal City.

Oooo, I love the idea of riding to the Fair. That would be 2 of 6 months where we don't have the ride on the 3rd Sunday, but whatever.

And thanks for the idea for the Arlandria ride. We're also considering something involving Shirlington, which is a destination KM-Arl hasn't visited yet.

dasgeh
05-02-2014, 04:25 PM
And we have a schedule! (kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com) It's shaping up to be an exciting year: Taste of Arlington, Father's Day, Tour de France, Arlington County Fair, Clarendon Day and joint rides with Kidical Mass DC and the newly formed Kidical Mass Alexandria!

It's Spring! Let's Go Ride a Bike!

For the 2014 Spring-Summer-Fall season, we're generally riding on the third Sunday of the month, with some bonus rides thrown in, and some adjustments for some special events. Here's the plan, with the usual caveat that things happen, and you should check the website for details and confirmation.

Sunday, May 18 – Taste of Kidical (a ride to the Taste of Arlington)
Sunday, June 1 – Kidically Spring
Sunday, June 15 – Daddy Kidical (Father’s Day Ride)
Sunday, July 6 – Tour de Kidical (Ride to watch the Tour de France)
Sunday, July 20 – Kidically Arlandria – Joint ride with the newly formed Kidical Mass Alexandria
Sunday, August 10 – Fairly Kidical (a ride to the Arlington Fair)
Saturday, September 27 – Kidically Clarendon (a ride to Clarendon Day)
Saturday, October 4 – Arlington Fun Ride Family Ride
Don't forget to double check the website right before the ride to confirm details.

jonglix
05-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Are all the rides at 11? We're new to Arlington and psyched to join up.

dasgeh
05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Are all the rides at 11? We're new to Arlington and psyched to join up.

YAY! We're excited to have you.

Rides are usually mid-morning, but always look for details for the specific rides. They're usually a week or two in advance (which reminds me, I need to plan for May 18th). There will always be a posting at Kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com, and I try to update here, facebook and twitter once we have details.

dasgeh
05-09-2014, 02:53 PM
It has been planned:

May 18, 2014: Taste of Kidical!
(http://kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com/2014/05/may-18-2014-taste-of-kidical.html)Can you believe it's been a year? Our very first Kidical Mass Arlington ride was just about a year ago. We had an awesome time riding around Lubber Run and on the Bluemont Trail and ending up at the Taste of Arlington.

This year, we're headed back to the Bluemont Trail and Taste of Arlington, but we're trying a new park to start, we're going to stop for a short playdate with a caboose and we'll ride through a section of Arlington Kidical Mass hasn't visited yet (with the requirement for flat rides, we're going to run out of these soon). It promises to be amazing and fun, and quite taste-y.

When: Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:00am (roll out 11:15am)

Meet: Lacey Woods Park - at the play structure (near the restrooms on the map)
Parking: On the surrounding residential streets - I've heard Edison is a good bet.

End: Taste of Ballston -- Wilson Blvd & Glebe Road.

Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4667252 (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4667252)

Bonus stop: Bluemont Junction Park - we'll stop for a quick (5-10 minute) look at the Caboose and group picture

Note: The end is about a mile from the beginning. The best route between the two, is here. Parking near the end in Ballston isn't the easiest, so I'd recommend parking at the start, and biking back at the end. If folks want to pick a time to meet and head back, I'll be happy to lead that mini-ride.

Hope to see you there!

BTW, actually typing out that it's been a year got me a little choked up. This little baby is almost a year old, and it's been a ton of fun. Thanks for all of the support, y'all.

dasgeh
05-09-2014, 03:07 PM
And now, a CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS!

Wanna help make cycling in Arlington cuter? Wanna do your part to support family cycling, even though you don't have a kid to strap on to your bike?

Show up with a bike and/or camera on Sunday, May 18 at 11am. Lacey Woods Park (George Mason and Washington -- near the hospital). We can use you as a ride marshall and/or photographer.

Thank you!

dasgeh
05-12-2014, 04:06 PM
*Update: The wonderful people at Taste of Arlington are giving each of our riders a ticket! Let us know how many you're bringing along to for the ride to make sure we get enough tickets: comment on the website (http://kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com/2014/05/may-18-2014-taste-of-kidical.html)or RSVP to our facebook event (https://www.facebook.com/events/842963322399230/?context=create&source=49).

PeteD
05-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Aww shucks, going to be in Lynchburg on Sunday.

krazygl00
05-16-2014, 04:01 PM
I think my wife (whom you have met at one of the 3rd Thursdays, Dasgeh) and I are going to try to make it to the ride with our two little ones in the trailer! I have an overnight maintenance (IT) to do this Sunday, so it depends somewhat on whether it goes too late into the not-so-wee hours of the morning.

dasgeh
05-16-2014, 04:19 PM
I think my wife (whom you have met at one of the 3rd Thursdays, Dasgeh) and I are going to try to make it to the ride with our two little ones in the trailer! I have an overnight maintenance (IT) to do this Sunday, so it depends somewhat on whether it goes too late into the not-so-wee hours of the morning.

Yay! Here's hoping for smooth overnight maintenance.

vvill
05-16-2014, 08:46 PM
I may try to make this my first Kidical Mass attendance. I'll see if I can even fit the trailer in the car...

Kbikeva
05-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Reston Moms Club will host local bike folks including our local bike shop at their next meeting in June. The goal is to promote family biking out here in the burbs, and hopefully get a KM group going.

If you're interested or know someone who lives out this direction who might be, contact is Kelley --- kbikeva at yahoo dot com

dasgeh
05-25-2014, 11:02 PM
June 1: Kidically Spring (with Frozen Yogurt!)
It is completely unforgivable, I know. Kidical Mass Arlington has gone on over a year without a ride to ice cream. UNFORGIVABLE! So next for our June 1, 2014 ride, we will take the plunge, give in to our inner Honest Toddler, and ride the ride of our dreams - to Menchie's! (Ok, yes, it's frozen yogurt, but it's delicious).

When: Sunday, June 1, 2014 5:45pm (roll out 6:00pm - come early with a picnic!)

Meet: Penrose Park -- 6th Street South & South Wayne Street, Arlington
Parking: On the surrounding residential streets.

End: Menchies in Penrose Square -- 9th Street South and South Barton Street. (about 4 blocks from the start)

Route:http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4832154

We're changing things up a bit -- this will be an EVENING ride. For those that want to come early, we're planning on bringing a picnic to the park (around, say 5-5:15pm), then we'll hang out and play until our 6pm roll out. The ride will be short and sweet around one of the most lovely neighborhoods in South Arlington. It will feature tree lined streets, bike boulevards and a new (to KM-Arl) trail. We'll end at Penrose Square, and head to Menchie's. Anyone who wants can meet up for the short spin back to the park. That area is also home to a grocery store, drugstore, and a bunch of yummy restaurants, if anyone needs to stop in for Sunday-night errands or after-Menchie's dinner (because what's better than a bike ride, then ice cream, then dinner, right?).

Hope to see you there!

dasgeh
06-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Last night's ride was awesome! lots of new faces, lots of old friends, possibly the perfect sized ride, and, of course, ICE CREAM. Pics on the facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/kidicalmassarlington) (please post if you have more)

Time to plan the Father's Day ride (who's idea was it to have 2 rides a month!). Any requests? Rocklands again? Maybe starting at Hayes Park this time (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4909254)? (I could adjust this route to go past the kidical house, but I'm not sure anyone would want to). I'm open to other ideas.

Oh, and lunch or dinner? Or post dinner ice cream?

chris_s
06-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Just realized I'm going to be in Michigan for Father's day. Sad to miss it!

oldbikechick
06-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Sorry to have missed this last ride - looks like fun! We could do the Father's Day ride as long as it is not a requirement to have a dad with us :) (since he is otherwise engaged that day)

dasgeh
06-04-2014, 03:34 PM
So, for the Father's Day ride, I'm thinking evening again ('cause it was fun). Any thoughts on these options:

1) Hayes Park to Rocklands for dinner (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4909254) (meet at 5:30pm)
2) Hayes Park to Clarendon for ICE CREAM (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4927969) (meet at 6pm)
3) Rocky Run Park to Clarendon for ICE CREAM (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4928304) (meet at 6pm)

I'm thinking 2 or 3 but am open...

dasgeh
06-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Father's Day Ride planned - with half price ICE CREAM!!!

Father's Day: MORE ICE CREAM! 6/15 5:45pm Hayes Park
(http://kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com/2014/06/fathers-day-more-ice-cream-615-545pm.html)
Wow. The last ride to ice cream was so much fun, we've got to do it again. Soon. Like next Sunday. So in honor of father's everywhere, we're going to RIDE TO MORE ICE CREAM! This time, North Arlington style: meet at Hayes Park, ride through Ashton Heights and Lyon Village and finish at Larry's Homemade Ice Cream in Clarendon.

**To sweeten this incredibly sweet deal, Larry's is offering us HALF OFF ice cream. Hooray for Larry's!**

When: Sunday, June 15, 2014 5:45pm (roll out 6:00pm - come early with a picnic!)

Meet: Hayes Park -- North Lincoln Street & 15th St N, Arlington
Metro: the start is about a half mile from Virginia Square, the end is at Clarendon

End: Larry's Homemade in Clarendon -- Wilson Blvd and North Highland Street. (an easy mile from the start via this route)

Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4927969

There are so many great things about this ride. To begin at the beginning, we're meeting at Hayes Park, which has a SPRAYGROUND (on until 8pm on Sundays), great playground equipment for the toddler-preschooler set, swings, tennis courts and even bathrooms. It's also only blocks from Rocklands BBQ (and lots of other places), if you were thinking of eating out for Father's Day dinner. We'll will ride through the lovely, bike friendly neighborhoods of Ashton Heights, Lyon Park and Lyon Village. You can discover great bike connections to so many places near this route: the Central Library, Arlington Arts Center, Clay Park Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and all those yummy restaurants in Clarendon. We'll park at the Clarendon Metro station, then walk across the street to Larry's and enjoy our treats by the bikes in the little park. And did I mention 50% off ICE CREAM? Sure to please kids and parents.

Whether you are a Dad, you're bringing a Dad, you're giving Dad the night off, whether you're kids or not, come out for what's sure to be a fabulous evening on bikes.

dasgeh
06-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Great ride last night. Thanks to all who came out (ShawnDread & family). And a HUGE thanks to Larry's Homemade Ice Cream, who gave us all 1/2 off, and told their friends about us. Next time you're in Clarendon, you should stop by...

Pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.655021087906565.1073741835.498727683535907&type=3

dasgeh
06-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Looking ahead to the next ride (Tour de Kidical): any requests? Sat 7/5 or Sun 7/6? Neighborhood?

I'm leaning towards Rocky Run Park (because far too many families last night hadn't been there) to Ireland's Four Courts (because I know the owners and know they'll put the race on) but that route will overlap a lot with last night's, which I generally try to avoid.

dasgeh
06-17-2014, 10:47 AM
I posted this on another thread, but it could go here too:

This thread reminds me of an idea I had for a Kidical Mass (or some other) ride:

Meet at a park, preferably one with some free asphalt. For the first x minutes (while kids play), have a station where people can measure their bikes and find serial numbers, etc. Bonus points if we can get the police there to do immediate registration. Encourage people to take pictures of their bikes, measure them* and write down the serial numbers -- for my family, we'd just send ourselves emails with the pics and info, etc, since we can always search that.

*The measure thing would really be for family bike set-ups -- long-tails, long-johns and trail-a-whatever set-ups are (obviously) different than standard bikes, and it's hard to find good info about how long/wide these set ups are. We could easily set up a station where people could park the bike at a designated spot, and we'd stripe out the various widths and lengths in concentric rectangles, so you could see how wide things are and where.

Would people be interested in this?

baiskeli
06-17-2014, 11:05 AM
I posted this on another thread, but it could go here too:

Yeah, that sounds cool. It could be a little bike rodeo too where the kids could learn and show off skills.

dasgeh
07-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Tour de Kidical ride THIS SUNDAY - 10:15am Rocky Run Park -- Ireland's Four Courts to watch Le Tour.
(http://kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com/)

Happy 4th of July! Perfect time to watch a French bike race taking place in England at an Irish pub. Let's take advantage of the more-beautiful-than-average July weather and bike over to Ireland's Four Courts to watch the end of the second stage of this year's Tour (York to Sheffield, England).

And not only is the end of our ride going to be AWESOME, we're going to start at one of Arlington's newest and most exciting parks: Rocky Run. Haven't been to Rocky Run yet? It's amazing: HUGE climbing structure with lots of different ways up and a GIANT slide down. A great toddler area, with sand, water, and just the right size slide and climbing structure. Lots of shade. Tons of fun. Come early and enjoy running around, climbing, sliding, digging and bouncing all over this beautiful park. NOTE: the bathrooms at Rocky Run aren't open yet (afaik), so plan accordingly.

When: Sunday, July 6, 2014 10:15am (roll out 10:30am - come early to enjoy the park!)

Meet: Rocky Run Park -- North Barton Street & N Fairfax Drive, Arlington

Metro: Courthouse (the start is about half mile away, the end is across the street)

End: Ireland's Four Courts-- N Wilson Blvd and North Courthouse Road (an easy 1/2 mile from the start via this route)

Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5212930

This route is shorter than normal - only 2.2 miles. It starts with a bit of a climb (3% for a couple hundred feet), but then is smooth sailing. We'll be on familiar neighborhood streets in Lyon Park and Lyon Village, and will explore a short new (to Kidical Mass) trail. Ending at Ireland's Four Courts around 11am, everyone is welcome to come in, have a bite to eat, and watch a the end of Stage 2 of the Tour de France.

All are welcome - with or without kids.

**Please give me a little break for organizing so late. Family stuff. Ended up in Iowa last minute. All is fine but didn't know when we'd be back. And please help spread the word because, well, this is all being pulled together last minute. THANKS!**

dasgeh
07-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Great ride last weekend. Special shout out to Starduster to coming out sans kids. Seriously, y'all, all are welcome, even if you don't bring kids. <Hopefully Starduster will back me up that it's fun even if you're toddler-less>

dasgeh
07-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Yesterday's ride was really really awesome. I have to give an especially big THANK YOU to all the people who showed up without kids. Our own ArlingtonRider was there for her 200th ride of the day ;-), and number of teammates from the Veloworks-Spokes team came out in full kit and helped with ride marshaling, along with some others. I love all the parents and kids who come out and do the rides, and I'm so happy that they get to add a little biking fun to their family's day, and meet other bikey families. But the kid-less adults who come out to help out and have fun... It just shows that we have such a great cycling community in this area, ready to show up and help get more families on bikes. The support really makes my job that much better, and I really, really, really appreciate it.

And I'm sorry I forgot to bring the yellow marshal vests yesterday, and that we were late and a little hurried with the ride start. I am not a perfect ride organizer. Thanks for rolling with me. :-)

dasgeh
07-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Yesterday was awesome, let's plan another ride. This time, we're headed to the Arlington County Fair, and we already have one special guest confirmed. :-)

When: Saturday, August 9, 10:00am (roll out 10:15am - come early to play!)
Meet: Monroe Park, S Monroe St & 14th St S, Arlington
Parking: On surrounding neighborhood streets
End: Arlington County Fair, Thomas Jefferson Community Center, S Jackson St & 2nd St S; an easy 1.2 mile ride back to the start.
Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5270929

Arlingtonrider
07-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks so much Gillian for all that you do! That was loads of fun! Great group of kids, parents and volunteers. A lot of forum regulars were on the ride with their kids and more joined us for the pizza lunch afterwards. Gillian, I think you do an awesome job with these and look forward to rolling with you again! I was so pleased to see the *positive* press coverage on WTOP too. Seeing families out together on bikes always makes me happy.

dasgeh
11-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Kidically Cranksgiving! Thanksgiving Day, Nov 27 10am meet Westover Park (and I'm not leading ;-)

Work up an appetite before your big meal! Do you want to get out and enjoy the crisp fresh air on a group ride before the big Thanksgiving feast, have a chance to get out of the house with the kids and let them burn off some energy, or just get out on your bike to enjoy some of our local trails on a beautiful Fall holiday? Join us for a Thanksgiving Day morning ride, the Cranksgiving ride.

When: Thursday, November 27, Thanksgiving Day, 10 am (roll out 10:15am - come early to play!)

Meet: Westover Park Playground Pavillion, 1001 N. Kennebec Street, just off of the Custis Trail

Parking: On surrounding neighborhood streets
End: Bluemont Park Playground, 329 N Manchester Street, just off of the Four Mile Run Trail (*those interested can ride back to Westover together)

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/BbHoi
We start off at Westover Park Playground, one of Arlington's many great neighborhood playgrounds. We'll roll down the Custis Trail under I-66 and over to the Washington and Old Dominion Trail south past Wilson Blvd underpass, heading onto the Four Mile Run Trail shortly after passing the caboose. We'll ride past the fields at Bluemont park and ride into the woods, where there is the Bluemont Park Playground. Ride is 1.2 miles one way. For those interested, we'll let the kids play at the Bluemont Playground for a while and then we can ride back to Westover Park together. All are welcome - with and without kids.
In the spirit of giving thanks, we will also collect canned and boxed food for donation to AFAC. Donations are optional and voluntary.