PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday night Hains Point Party?

jrenaut
03-16-2014, 11:01 PM
The weather sucks. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of done with this [expletive deleted] competion. EXCEPT. Wednesday night. The last night of the competition. The weather is supposed to be tolerable. Some of the snow should have melted.

I would like to go out on a high note and ride about a million Hains Point laps, starting late, after we put the kids to bed. I'd probably be down there 9pm-ish. Anyone want to come? Those who are truly ELITE will have to stop Strava before they get home so it doesn't end after 12:01AM Thursday morning and become ineligibile for the competition.

Who's with me?

dkel
03-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Who's with me?

http://youtu.be/CQFEY9RIRJA

jrenaut
03-16-2014, 11:17 PM
I'll ride with crickets, I don't discriminate.

jrenaut
03-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Mother[blank]ers better take their turn up front though

Steve O
03-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Who's with me?

Hmmm. Looked at this page: http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various
and my name is not even on the list of most Hains Point laps (meaning zero). Is it better to keep my perfect string (zero last year's FS, too) or . . . ?

Rod Smith
03-17-2014, 06:17 AM
Good idea! I'll be there if the road isn't too wet, icy or snowy.

Steve O
03-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Okay, peeps. I'm in. Rain or....uh...well, not shine exactly...not rain.

Meet you sometime after dark. Bring your portable shot glass. Here's the schedule:

After dark - FS participants (and hangers on) arrive & start doing some laps. No hurry unless you're still vying for 1st place or something. (Reminder: the prizes are pointless)
Before 11pm - Wussies leave for home
11pm(ish) - Gather at the point for a toast to FS. I will bring a bottle of something or other. Feel free to bring your own if you don't trust my taste or want to share your favorite.
Post-toast - Leave if you need to. Bad-asses - Three more laps
11:30-35 (ish) - Gather again at the point for another toast. Then head home if you like; you have proven yourself worthy. ELITE bad-asses - two more laps (or more likely one, depending on time)
11:58 (ish) - stop your Strava. If anyone's left, feel free to give yourself three cheers. I may have left with the ordinary bad-asses. If not, then we'll polish off the bottle.
After midnight: Hugs & kisses till next year.

The weather sucks. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of done with this [expletive deleted] competition. EXCEPT. Wednesday night. The last night of the competition. The weather is supposed to be tolerable. Some of the snow should have melted.

I would like to go out on a high note and ride about a million Hains Point laps, starting late, after we put the kids to bed. I'd probably be down there 9pm-ish. Anyone want to come? Those who are truly ELITE will have to stop Strava before they get home so it doesn't end after 12:01AM Thursday morning and become ineligible for the competition.

Who's with me?

dkel
03-18-2014, 08:27 AM
I recant my "crickets chirping" post above. This is ELITE. I wish I could be there, but I'm not bad-ass enough, I'm afraid. What I'll most miss are the toasts. Specifically the drinking part of the toasts.

UnknownCyclist
03-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Okay, peeps. I'm in. Rain or....uh...well, not shine exactly...not rain.

Meet you sometime after dark. Bring your portable shot glass. Here's the schedule:

11pm(ish) - Gather at the point for a toast to FS. I will bring a bottle of something or other. Feel free to bring your own if you don't trust my taste or want to share your favorite.
Post-toast - Leave if you need to. Bad-asses - Three more laps
11:30-35 (ish) - Gather again at the point for another toast. Then head home if you like; you have proven yourself worthy. ELITE bad-asses - two more laps (or more likely one, depending on time)
11:58 (ish) - stop your Strava. If anyone's left, feel free to give yourself three cheers. I may have left with the ordinary bad-asses. If not, then we'll polish off the bottle.

I'm sure the Park Police routinely monitor this forum. You drunken cyclists give us all a bad name.:rolleyes:

Steve O
03-18-2014, 09:16 AM
What did you think I meant?

I'm sure the Park Police routinely monitor this forum. You drunken cyclists give us all a bad name.:rolleyes:

americancyclo
03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
What did you think I meant?
Welch's? Man, I'm out. Martinelli's would have convinced me, but no way I'm doing cold laps in the dark for Welch's.

Steve O
03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Welch's? Man, I'm out. Martinelli's would have convinced me, but no way I'm doing cold laps in the dark for Welch's.

. . . Feel free to bring your own if you don't trust my taste or want to share your favorite.
Don't take the photo too literally. It's "possible" I may bring a variety.

KelOnWheels
03-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Hmm. If the rain holds off, this is tempting :D

consularrider
03-18-2014, 04:31 PM
It's past my bedtime.

Subby
03-18-2014, 04:35 PM
I might try and do this. Wondering if my headlamp battery will last that long. :D

jrenaut
03-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Hmm. If the rain holds off, this is tempting :D
If the rain doesn't hold off, you must meditate on Rule 9.

americancyclo
03-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Don't take the photo too literally. It's "possible" I may bring a variety.

Oh don't mind me. I like getting ornery about minutia

Raymo853
03-18-2014, 09:28 PM
I'll do a lap or two on my ride home from work but will not be there much past 7.

cvcalhoun
03-19-2014, 04:02 AM
Sorry, but there is only one nonalcoholic drink for festive toasts, and it's this one:

Can you tell I grew up in an area with a lot of Presbyterians?

Terpfan
03-19-2014, 12:52 PM
I would join, but my riding has been hampered by a cold (not the cold, although that also sucks). I made it all competition right up until the last few days before getting sick. It's like my body knew I couldn't do one full winter without getting sick at least once.

dasgeh
03-19-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm 28 points ahead of my husband, and will probably be another 9 miles ahead by the end of the day. I've mentioned that and this to him so maybe he'll be there...

jrenaut
03-19-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't believe I've ever met Mr. Dasgeh.

The weather is looking promissing. Likelihood of precipitation drops steadily after 8pm, temperatures up into the low 40's. Compared to most of this winter, it'll feel warm and pleasant. Or so I'm telling myself.

Tim Kelley
03-19-2014, 04:13 PM
I don't believe I've ever met Mr. Dasgeh.

He's a handsome drink of water, but if you turn your back on him he will beat you up a climb fueled on pure treachery. He can milk a mean almond too.

jrenaut
03-19-2014, 04:28 PM
There are no climbs at Hains Point.

By the way, do they close the gates at night? I assume they do.

I was also just thinking that all you suckers riding at a reasonable hour are getting wet, or are about to. It's going to be really pleasant around 10pm or so. Just sayin'.

PotomacCyclist
03-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Hains Point has the highest peak/elevation in North America. Actual true factual fact.

elwbikes
03-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Are hybrids welcome? Or will this be a pure road ride. I don't think I could handle being lapped the last night of the competition, haha!

Bilsko
03-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Good luck to you guys - it was absolutely miserable riding 2 laps at 5PM this afternoon. My ShowersPass Hardshell gloves finally gave up the ghost about 1 1/2 laps in and left me with cold wet hands for the rest of the ride home. The Rapha hardshell performed flawlessly, however.

TwoWheelsDC
03-19-2014, 07:13 PM
I have class on Wednesdays or I would've made an effort to come. Riding 10 miles in the rain to class was not fun though. Hopefully no one steals my rain gear from the rack, since there was no way I was carrying that around campus with me for 4 hours.

jrenaut
03-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Are hybrids welcome? Or will this be a pure road ride. I don't think I could handle being lapped the last night of the competition, haha!
All are welcome. I don't think we're setting any speed records tonight.

Weather maps look like the rain is all passing through and we're just about at the end of it. Bilkso, I don't envy your hands.

jrenaut
03-19-2014, 07:31 PM
By the way, looking at the Hains Point laps leaderboard - I'm currently 8th. If I ride a century tonight (which is not happening, btw), I would only move up to 3rd place. That's insane. And that's not even getting to the 120 laps I'd have to do to get first. Some of you all LOVE Hains Point.

sjclaeys
03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
I was there at 6:30 and nary a soul in sight.

jrenaut
03-19-2014, 08:08 PM
I was there at 6:30 and nary a soul in sight.
You were too early. I'm heading there in a few.

ShawnoftheDread
03-19-2014, 08:13 PM
I did zero HP laps this year. I win.

jrenaut
03-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Heading out now. Hope to see a few of you there. Hope not to see the park police.

Rod Smith
03-19-2014, 08:25 PM
I said I would come but I'm wimping out. I got wet and cold and wore out my brake pads today. Sorry.

Raymo853
03-19-2014, 08:31 PM
I'll do a lap or two on my ride home from work but will not be there much past 7.

Did two on the way home in the rain. Did not see a single other rider out there, that's rare.

sjclaeys
03-19-2014, 09:29 PM
You were too early. I'm heading there in a few.

Yeah, but I thought that I would see someone riding circles.

vvill
03-19-2014, 10:28 PM
By the way, looking at the Hains Point laps leaderboard - I'm currently 8th. If I ride a century tonight (which is not happening, btw), I would only move up to 3rd place. That's insane. And that's not even getting to the 120 laps I'd have to do to get first. Some of you all LOVE Hains Point.

I love Hains Pt the same way I love Freezing Saddles!

If you make one or two laps part of your regular commute, or a lunch ride or something it's easy to accumulate a lot of laps there. Also if you ride with even a small group it goes much faster.

cvcalhoun
03-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks to jrenault for organizing this! I didn't stay long, since I had to bike back to Bethesda afterward, but I got in my very first Hains Point laps, and went out on a high note. Or, as I put it to my wife when I got home, "Meeting a bunch of guys I don't know in a deserted park after dark went better than one might expect."

jrenaut
03-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Rule 9. I'm going to bed.

Steve O
03-20-2014, 12:48 AM
A small, but intrepid group of us made it down for the first annual, FS Last Night Hains Point Party (FSLNHPP). Thanks to jrenaut for the inspiration.
We toasted about 11:15, cussed one last time at winter, rode a final lap and headed home.

Who's up for next year?

(jrenaut, fithsparo, cvcalhoun, me & two hangers on: my friends, Jay & HF were there.)

jrenaut
03-20-2014, 09:39 AM
The final timetamp on my ride home (http://www.strava.com/activities/122250567) - <time>2014-03-20T04:00:24Z</time>. No one can say I wasn't riding up until the end. The cutoff was 12:01, right? So that counts?

Anyway, you should all be jealous that you were not there. It was only misting most of the ride. We saw the Hains Point fox. We didn't get hassled by the NPS car who was surely thinking WTF every time we passed him. The Point is busy late at night.

This is definitely the first edition of an annual event. I'll bring the toast next year.

DismalScientist
03-20-2014, 09:43 AM
You could probably edit out the last 24 seconds so the ride will count.

Raymo853
03-20-2014, 10:13 AM
I hope none of you drove down there to ride. That should incur negative points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrenaut
03-20-2014, 10:33 AM
I most certainly did not. The only ride I've driven to during Freezing Saddles was on vacation at Deep Creek.

Steve O
03-20-2014, 12:21 PM

I hope no one bagged out just because it was late at night. That should incur negative points.

(FYI - the only driver was a non FS participant. Special kudos to CVCalhoun, who rode in and back from Bethesda)

cvcalhoun
03-20-2014, 12:49 PM
And for a bonus, I achieved the goal I announced on arrival, to make it to the top of the "After Sunset" chart. Of course, most of that was the back and forth from Bethesda, since I managed only one lap around Hains Point before I had to head home, but it was satisfying nonethless.

Special kudos to CVCalhoun, who rode in and back from Bethesda)

Steve O
03-20-2014, 03:03 PM

BTW - I actually brought a bottle of Martinelli's (it was my decoy in case the cops rolled by; the lemoncello was in my steel water bottle).
Where were you?