PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Bike to Work Day Registration Is Open

consularrider
03-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Hope to see some of you there! Link (http://org.salsalabs.com/o/451/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=81372)

SilverSpring
03-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Hope to see some of you there! Link (http://org.salsalabs.com/o/451/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=81372)

Done! Hurrah! And I'll see you there (provided, of course, you ride really really lethargically to begin with and are further slowed by stopping at as many pit stops as you can at which you attempt to get an ungodly number of water bottles in the hopes that--this year, at least--your children won't find them and mix up all of the caps or melt them in the dishwasher).

ebubar
03-05-2014, 08:58 PM
BTWD pros: suggestions on Pit Stop with the best stuff? I made it to three different stops last year, and it looked like Rosslyn had some of the best goodies.
Might register that as my Pit Stop of choice...

cyclingfool
03-06-2014, 09:18 AM
BTWD pros: suggestions on Pit Stop with the best stuff? I made it to three different stops last year, and it looked like Rosslyn had some of the best goodies.
Might register that as my Pit Stop of choice...

I'm interested in the responses to this question here. From friends I've talked to in years past, one of whom stopped at multiple pit stops between Reston and DC, Rosslyn seems to be best. All the BTWDs I've done over the last several years I've gone to Alexandria City Hall as my pit stop since I live in Alexandria. It's been fine, and I see some folks I know, but I'm thinking of a change of scenery this year and doing Crystal City, Rosslyn, or Freedom Plaza... after, of course, a stop at the new-for-this-year Del Ray pit stop. :)

consularrider
03-06-2014, 10:46 AM
As far as best pit stops, I've only ridden to six of the northern Virginia ones. The afternoon Falls Church isn't offered this year, and the East Falls Church afternoon stop had very limited offerings. Both the Alexandria Old Town and the Rosslyn pit stops have lots on offer, Crystal City runs all five work days with different offerings each day (at least that's what happened the past two years, but doesn't say so far this year), and Ballston is nice, but more not as many displays. Don't forget that you are not limited to visiting the pit stop where you are registered. You can get swag at any pit stop, but can only get the t-shirt where you register. Different pit stops open at different times so you have to factor that in as well if you plan to do a tour de pit stops.

PeteD
03-06-2014, 12:34 PM
So... If I work for my own consulting company, and I work from my home office, can I still qualify to win a bike rack outside my business? And would if be bad form to have 100% employee participation? ^_^

americancyclo
03-07-2014, 06:37 AM
As far as best pit stops, I've only ridden to six of the northern Virginia ones. The afternoon Falls Church isn't offered this year, and the East Falls Church afternoon stop had very limited offerings. Both the Alexandria Old Town and the Rosslyn pit stops have lots on offer, Crystal City runs all five work days with different offerings each day (at least that's what happened the past two years, but doesn't say so far this year), and Ballston is nice, but more not as many displays. Don't forget that you are not limited to visiting the pit stop where you are registered. You can get swag at any pit stop, but can only get the t-shirt where you register. Different pit stops open at different times so you have to factor that in as well if you plan to do a tour de pit stops.

The Tri-360 afternoon pit stop last year was small in size, but heavy on the swag. I got some really nice socks that I still love and wear (and they have my initials!)

Crystal City was a nice consistent place to meet up all week, plus they were running a weekly attendance swag contest for a jacket.

dasgeh
03-07-2014, 08:31 AM
So... If I work for my own consulting company, and I work from my home office, can I still qualify to win a bike rack outside my business? And would if be bad form to have 100% employee participation? ^_^

And what if I know someone who, um, runs his own daycare? :-)

vvill
03-07-2014, 08:38 AM
My take on BtWD:
Rosslyn and Ballston are the most fun.
Crystal City is relatively quiet, but it's a tranquil stop and worth a trip if you want easy to access to coffee/bagels and it's easy to chat with the people there.
Freedom Plaza is busy and has a lot going on with speeches, and organizations, etc. but not as "fun" feeling.
Georgetown (near Cyclelife) had some unique baked-treat-type swag last year, and I saw some cool raffle prizes being won, but otherwise was a bit small.
Nat Geo Society in DC is okay, has a few different booths around, about on par with Georgetown or Crystal City.

A lot of the smaller DC stops such as Farragut Square are very small. I haven't been west of EFC for a stop yet.

Tri360 are very generous with their swag! I have a SockGuy base layer I looove from the stop there last year, and the year before I got some fitting "Swag Wh0re" socks.

jrenaut
03-07-2014, 08:47 AM
I think I may have to leave early this year and head out west before going to Freedom Plaza. No one said the stops had to actually be on your way to work, right?

consularrider
03-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I took the direct route to work for B2WD in 2012 (http://www.strava.com/activities/8822570) and 2013 (http://www.strava.com/activities/54755777).

americancyclo
03-07-2014, 02:42 PM
I think I may have to leave early this year and head out west before going to Freedom Plaza. No one said the stops had to actually be on your way to work, right?

You wanna come out to help lead in Convoy #4 from Providence Rec Center?

jrenaut
03-07-2014, 03:36 PM
You wanna come out to help lead in Convoy #4 from Providence Rec Center?
Where is that? Would have to negotiate kid drop-off duty, but with a couple months lead time that shoudln't be a problem. Sounds like fun.

ebubar
03-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Any Maryland-ers interested in a BTWD convoy to visit a few pit stops in the area? I'll be in between summer sessions so should have all day to just cruise around! PM or reply here! If there's enough interest, we can start our own thread.

americancyclo
03-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Where is that? Would have to negotiate kid drop-off duty, but with a couple months lead time that shoudln't be a problem. Sounds like fun.

Its just onside the beltway off rte 50 between falls church and annandale. I was kinda joking but I'd love the company if you want to haul all the way out here for a 630 departure and roll with newbies back to dc

ShawnoftheDread
03-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Its just onside the beltway off rte 50 between falls church and annandale. I was kinda joking but I'd love the company if you want to haul all the way out here for a 630 departure and roll with newbies back to dc

I could probably make this work if you need someone to sweep.

TwoWheelsDC
03-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I just realized I scheduled some training out in Reston that day, so I'll be hitting the stops westbound along the W&OD.

Arlingtonrider
03-07-2014, 10:23 PM
My strategy is to get my t - shirt at a pit stop that has short lines for them, then to move on.

buckolas
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Why was the Reston pit stop changed? The new location is not nearly as safe for inexperienced riders, which this event tends to attract. As an semi-experienced rider, I would not recommend that a new rider ride on the Wiehle Ave/Sunset Hills Rd. intersection. There is too much construction, no designated bike lanes, and the drivers are extremely aggressive there. This decision does not appear to take this into account and should have left the location at the Reston Town Center, a much safer, more convenient location to host a pit stop. I'm pretty disappointed about this change when all other pit stops are usually right along the trails.

TwoWheelsDC
03-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Why was the Reston pit stop changed? The new location is not nearly as safe for inexperienced riders, which this event tends to attract. As an semi-experienced rider, I would not recommend that a new rider ride on the Wiehle Ave/Sunset Hills Rd. intersection. There is too much construction, no designated bike lanes, and the drivers are extremely aggressive there. This decision does not appear to take this into account and should have left the location at the Reston Town Center, a much safer, more convenient location to host a pit stop. I'm pretty disappointed about this change when all other pit stops are usually right along the trails.

You'd probably have to check with the event organizers and send them an email. However, FWIW, that location seems okay to me and I'm guessing that the BTWD folks are simply doing the best they can with the options available to them. The location you mention is pretty darn close to the trail (500 feet) and there's a decently wide sidewalk, so riders won't need to use the road. Sure, it's not as good as if it were right on the trail, but Reston Town Center doesn't seem to be any better in that regard, since it requires riders to leave the trail and ride on roads. Also, I wouldn't say "all" the other stops are on the trails. I would actually say stops on the trails are the exception and not the rule, since the trails only run through a limited number of areas. All that's not to say you're question is not legitimate, but it's also important to recognize that BTWD is a huge undertaking and it's going to involve some compromises, particularly since so many variables are completely out of the BTWD staff's control.

culimerc
03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
It seems pretty obvious to me that they are trying to promote the new metro station as a transportation hub and as a spot for multi-modal commuting. There is plenty of space at the east side corner of Wiehle and north of Sunset Hills for lots of tents and demos and etc. from there its a simple ride up the hill on the west side of Wiehle (granted it is on the 8' wide sidewalk) up to the metro station. Plus it would have the added advantage of being something that drivers could see and remind them that there are other things to consider besides making the light.

Tim Kelley
03-24-2014, 12:05 PM
It seems pretty obvious to me that they are trying to promote the new metro station as a transportation hub and as a spot for multi-modal commuting.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

brendan
03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Clearly, they moved the stop to be closer to my office at the Sunrise Valley and W&OD intersection. So, blame me this time!

B

seunpu
03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
You'd probably have to check with the event organizers and send them an email. However, FWIW, that location seems okay to me and I'm guessing that the BTWD folks are simply doing the best they can with the options available to them. The location you mention is pretty darn close to the trail (500 feet) and there's a decently wide sidewalk, so riders won't need to use the road. Sure, it's not as good as if it were right on the trail, but Reston Town Center doesn't seem to be any better in that regard, since it requires riders to leave the trail and ride on roads. Also, I wouldn't say "all" the other stops are on the trails. I would actually say stops on the trails are the exception and not the rule, since the trails only run through a limited number of areas. All that's not to say you're question is not legitimate, but it's also important to recognize that BTWD is a huge undertaking and it's going to involve some compromises, particularly since so many variables are completely out of the BTWD staff's control.

If they have moved up the stop to be a street up from the trail it's not a great safe option. I park every day in the Pizza Hut/McDonalds parking lot for my daily morning ride. Makes more sense to have it on the trail but they must want to promote the new Metro stop. Both Sunset Hills and Wiehle are a rough and dangerous crossings most of the day. This could be a disaster.