PDA

View Full Version : #kidically Freezing Saddles

dasgeh
01-13-2014, 11:09 AM
I believe you all knew this was coming: I'm officially sponsoring an amazingly awesome prize for the BAFS rider with the most #kidical rides over the competition. Remember to log your rides with #kidical if there are kids on your bike.

And y'all know I'm motivated for this one, so you can expect something really awesome (I'll just have to figure out what it will be). In fact, I hope to be able to have multiple prizes (1st, 2nd, 3rd, maybe even most miles or most elevation gained).

Ride with your kids. It's awesome!

americancyclo
01-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I bet prize #1 is going to be your do-it-all commuter from the daily rider. the real question is who's going to be on the rest of the podium ;)

hozn
01-13-2014, 11:16 AM
I can create a leaderboard on the website (hopefully this week) so that people can track rankings in this category. (Unless you don't want that?)

As dasgeh said, just ensure that your ride title in Strava includes the text "#kidical" for rides to count. (That will be case-insensitive, so #KIDICAL or #KiDiCal should work too, but not "#kids" or "with the kids" or any other things that might be obvious to humans :))

dasgeh
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM
I can create a leaderboard on the website (hopefully this week) so that people can track rankings in this category. (Unless you don't want that?)

That would be awesome. Thanks!

And I'm taking myself out of the running for this one (though I'll still mark rides, just because I like data). But I doubt I'd win it anyways... I only #kidical on the weekends :-)

cyclingfool
01-13-2014, 11:56 AM
I only #kidical on weekends, too, and nowehere near as often as I'd probably like in an ideal world, but I already retroactively hashtagged yesterday's ride to the park. :) Great contest idea.

americancyclo
01-13-2014, 12:23 PM
I think my #kidical rides won't really start to rack up until march when the days get a bit longer. I don't like bringing my daughter on the roads around tysons in the trailer when the deathboxes aren't looking for little ones.

Jason B
01-13-2014, 12:39 PM
do kidicals count for more points? If so, how much?

dasgeh
01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
do kidicals count for more points? If so, how much?

Not for the main competition. Just for this separate competition.

Mikey
01-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Loving all of the side bets. This has been a fun FS so far, despite the Freezing part.

DismalScientist
01-13-2014, 06:59 PM
It funny... The only French word my kids know is "brevet."

ShawnoftheDread
01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
^^elite^^

(Stupid tapatalk killed my all caps.)

dkel
01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
To be clear: #kidical applies to rides with kids attached somehow to your bike (e.g. trailer or child seat), and not riding with the kids on their own separate bikes. Is that right? I just rode to dinner with my kids, but they were on their own bikes, so I want to be sure I understand. (Also, my older son wants his miles to count for Team 7. So proud!)

dasgeh
01-14-2014, 09:55 AM
To be clear: #kidical applies to rides with kids attached somehow to your bike (e.g. trailer or child seat), and not riding with the kids on their own separate bikes. Is that right? I just rode to dinner with my kids, but they were on their own bikes, so I want to be sure I understand. (Also, my older son wants his miles to count for Team 7. So proud!)

I'll go with yes, especially since my thighs were burning after Sunday's ride with 2 kids and a boat load of cereal on the bakfiets.

dkel
01-14-2014, 10:08 AM
I'll go with yes, especially since my thighs were burning after Sunday's ride with 2 kids and a boat load of cereal on the bakfiets.

It is a big difference having to pedal for them, isn't it? Since mine are 9 and 11, it's just as well they have their own bikes! :p

dasgeh
01-14-2014, 10:13 AM
It is a big difference having to pedal for them, isn't it? Since mine are 9 and 11, it's just as well they have their own bikes! :p

And I meant to say originally: Good on ya for riding with your kids! You're raising 'em up right.

dkel
01-14-2014, 10:17 AM
And I meant to say originally: Good on ya for riding with your kids! You're raising 'em up right.

Santa got them lights for their bikes (because Santa reads this forum a lot), so I've been looking for a chance to get them out and use them. They wanted to go when I asked, which is evidence that they are turning out to be good lads. :)

dasgeh
01-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Santa got them lights for their bikes (because Santa reads this forum a lot), so I've been looking for a chance to get them out and use them. They wanted to go when I asked, which is evidence that they are turning out to be good lads. :)

They would have come in handy for the Kidical Mass Arlington Holiday Lights ride. If we have another warm-wave over a weekend, KM-A is going to try to do a 'smores ride -- early evening ride that ends at Westover Beer Garden for 'smores around their firepits. Only problem: I can't find _any_ non-hilly routes to get there, from any direction. <I'm going to ask for suggestions on another thread.>

consularrider
01-14-2014, 10:55 AM
They would have come in handy for the Kidical Mass Arlington Holiday Lights ride. If we have another warm-wave over a weekend, KM-A is going to try to do a 'smores ride -- early evening ride that ends at Westover Beer Garden for 'smores around their firepits. Only problem: I can't find _any_ non-hilly routes to get there, from any direction. <I'm going to ask for suggestions on another thread.>
You are talking about north Arlington. It's hard to get anywhere without encountering some hills along the way. What are you proposing as the starting point?

Jason B
01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
To be clear: #kidical applies to rides with kids attached somehow to your bike (e.g. trailer or child seat),

So, tied to the fender like a deer should be labeled KIDICAL??

DismalScientist
01-14-2014, 11:12 AM
You cannot tie a kid to you fender as you would a deer. At least not if you want the kid to still be breathing after the ride.

(I assumed you meant a dead dear in your comment.)

dkel
01-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Tying the child to the fender would earn you the 2014 BAFS Child Protective Services award. Or penalty, rather.

peterw_diy
02-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Rule clarification: is a trail-a-bike considered Kidical or not?

cyclingfool
02-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Tying the child to the fender would earn you the 2014 BAFS Child Protective Services award. Or penalty, rather.

Better yet use the child as the fender itself... just kidding. (pun intended)

ShawnoftheDread
02-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Rule clarification: is a trail-a-bike considered Kidical or not?

Of course.

paulg
03-11-2015, 01:05 PM
I misread the instructions on this one and was adding the #kidical to the description not the title. I just fixed all of my kidical rides in strava so I'll be magically popping up the leader board. Sorry about that!

Justin Antos
03-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Yes - go after that jrenaut character! He needs more competition.

jrenaut
03-11-2015, 02:47 PM
I do not.

dasgeh
03-11-2015, 03:09 PM
All #kidical riders are winners.

jrenaut
03-11-2015, 03:16 PM
If I had a bunch of money lying around that I didn't want anymore, I'd get #BAFS2015 #Kidical Participant trophies for not only everyone in the competition, but for everyone at Cap City on the night of happy hour.

Actually, if I had a bunch of money lying around I didn't want anymore, I'd get a new bike and redo my kitchen. But the other thing would be funnier.

peterw_diy
03-11-2015, 05:21 PM

I'm looking forward to 2016 when you'll have your Xtracycle for the entire contest.

paulg, IIRC the website only reloads old rides once a day, so you should appear tomorrow. If not, might need to contact our hero hozn.

paulg
03-11-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm looking forward to 2016 when you'll have your Xtracycle for the entire contest.

paulg, IIRC the website only reloads old rides once a day, so you should appear tomorrow. If not, might need to contact our hero hozn.

Oh thanks! I was wondering if they would show up or not. I'll wait until tomorrow to get in touch with the freezing saddles data guru.

It's kind of amazing how many kid rides have been done altogether and in the freezing cold winter no less. We've got some hardy riders and hardy kids too.