PDA

View Full Version : Sleaze Riding

cyclingfool
01-09-2014, 03:39 PM
I may never think of the term "Sleaze Ride" in quite the same way again, now that I found this YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTaGD8VuJQ

On a related and totally semantic note, how do we define sleaze ride? Is it a sleaze ride if I ride 1 or 2 miles around the office grabbing lunch and running errands on my break if I'm already putting in 15 miles commuting that day, or does the shortness of such a ride make it a sleaze ride regardless of whatever other miles I might be logging that day? IOW, is a ride that takes your FS points for the day from 25 points to 26 points a sleaze ride, or is it only a sleaze ride if it's your only ride of the day and it's a mile long, netting you eleven FS points for the day? Just curious.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

TwoWheelsDC
01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
My take:

Sleaze ride (not a pejorative term) is a ride made simply to get daily ride points. Meaning, it serves no functional, fitness, or recreational purpose. A sleaze ride will, in almost every circumstance, be the rider's sole ride for that day and will be not significantly more than 1 mile.

KelOnWheels
01-09-2014, 04:18 PM
...is it only a sleaze ride if it's your only ride of the day and it's a mile long, netting you eleven FS points for the day? Just curious.

That is, in fact, a sleaze ride. :D

cvcalhoun
01-09-2014, 04:25 PM
cyclingfool, hozn (who is doing back end stuff for this) said, "Ok, well we can adjust the definition to be a 1-2-mile ride when that is the only ride of the day (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6317-Freezing-Saddles-2014-Rules/page4)." So in your example, the second ride would not be a sleaze ride.

Of course, I'm personally Queen of the Sleaze Rides, so I'm happy to see a change that makes my title secure. ;)

rcannon100
01-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Technically,

* Any ride >1 mile gets you a 10 point bonus.
* The software is measuring total rides for a day - and if those total rides are > 1 and < 2, the software will count (http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various) it as a sleaze ride - for NO OTHER PURPOSE than to count "sleaze rides" so that some volunteer can award the sleaze ride award. It can be one ride. It can be 100 rides. But it equals 1 to 2 miles / points getting the cyclist the 10 point luck prize.
* It is called a "Sleaze Ride" bc the cyclist is taking a ride for the sole purpose and intent of bogarting 10 points.
* It. Does. Not. Matter.

cyclingfool
01-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Thank you all for clarifying the definition for this FS rookie.

And may everyone's thoughts about sleaze rides not be polluted by death metal imagery of knives penetrating lungs, etc.

Rod Smith
01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Is that band "Les Trois Amibes"?

PotomacCyclist
01-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Point of order: Is it a sleaze ride if you ride 10 miles while screaming the lyrics to the song from the video above?

Note that I am not a participant of BAFS, so I am not asking on my own behalf.

dasgeh
01-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Is it a sleaze ride if I got on my bike fully intending to bike to work, took a (very low speed) tumble a few blocks from my house, making me rethink my decision, turned around and biked home, and happen to have biked a total of 1 mile when turned off the Strava app at home?

jrenaut
01-10-2014, 09:16 AM
The Sleaze Ride Algorithm cares not for ice or your personal safety.

DCAKen
01-10-2014, 09:53 AM
This is my favorite sleaze course. It takes me seven loops to get above the non-sleaze threshold.

ebubar
01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
It just so happens that a roundtrip to the grocery store from my apartment is basically 1 mile. I'm getting my mile minimum in by doing this ride pretty much every day for the purpose of getting those groceries that we always seem to forget. Although the ride serves a functional purpose, I still feel a little sleazy and counteract this feeling by extending my ride into a pointless 2 mile loop around Sligo Creek Trail. This makes me feel like i'm not completely cheating the system :cool:

KelOnWheels
01-10-2014, 11:33 AM
It just so happens that a roundtrip to the grocery store from my apartment is basically 1 mile. I'm getting my mile minimum in by doing this ride pretty much every day for the purpose of getting those groceries that we always seem to forget. Although the ride serves a functional purpose, I still feel a little sleazy and counteract this feeling by extending my ride into a pointless 2 mile loop around Sligo Creek Trail. This makes me feel like i'm not completely cheating the system :cool:

The grocery store was my sleaze ride last year. Then they tore the grocery store down :(

MattAune
01-10-2014, 11:36 AM

It's not cheating, its the rules. Also, its not sleazy, its smart.

consularrider
01-10-2014, 01:10 PM
The grocery store was my sleaze ride last year. Then they tore the grocery store down :(
Did they pave paradise and put up a parking lot?

Arlingtonrider
01-10-2014, 01:58 PM

To be replaced with a Fresh Market! :). (Eventually. :( )

CPTJohnC
01-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Was it sleazy when I grabbed a CaBi today at lunch time because it wasn't raining at that moment, and I rode just about 2 miles for the sole purpose of getting in my daily ride? I sure think so. But I'm not proud. I'm sleazy.

JoeB
01-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Was it sleazy when I grabbed a CaBi today at lunch time because it wasn't raining at that moment, and I rode just about 2 miles for the sole purpose of getting in my daily ride? I sure think so. But I'm not proud. I'm sleazy.

I don't find that sleazy at all. Similarly, sometimes you grab a bikeshare to go to lunch, then you get a little lost, then you find that you're stuck in a traffic circle and just can't get right, then you realize you're already at the closest bike dock so you just park the bike in the exact same dock you took it from and you walk there.

See, e.g., http://www.strava.com/activities/105323394

cyclingfool
01-10-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't find that sleazy at all. Similarly, sometimes you grab a bikeshare to go to lunch, then you get a little lost, then you find that you're stuck in a traffic circle and just can't get right, then you realize you're already at the closest bike dock so you just park the bike in the exact same dock you took it from and you walk there.

See, e.g., http://www.strava.com/activities/105323394

100 Miles of Nowhere, er, 1.6 Miles of Nowhere?

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2012/04/17/register-now-for-the-2012-100-miles-of-nowhere/

cvcalhoun
01-10-2014, 09:21 PM
The Y is my favorite sleaze ride. It's about one and a third miles round-trip. And on bad days, I can bike there for the points, then get the real exercise in the gym.

jrenaut
01-11-2014, 07:35 AM
38F and raining? I do NOT have the clothes for an extended ride in this *$&$. Whatever ride I do today is going to be purely for the points.

Fast Friendly Guy
01-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Is it a sleaze ride if I got on my bike fully intending to bike to work, took a (very low speed) tumble a few blocks from my house, making me rethink my decision, turned around and biked home, and happen to have biked a total of 1 mile when turned off the Strava app at home?

I hope you're okay after your fall! As for a short ride...who cares what it's called if it's points for your team? I have no problems with a sleaze ride, and I would certainly do one in lieu of nothing on any given day.

BTW Karen and I plan to join you on the Magi ride tomorrow. Anything we should bring? Are we supposed to carry stuff?

Dave

PotomacCyclist
01-11-2014, 08:21 AM
The Sleaze Ride Algorithm cares not for ice or your personal safety.

Science shows no mercy...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-Abl5uJnJ4hu4Y/land_of_the_lost_2009_fighting_in_pyramid_part_2/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-Abl5uJnJ4hu4Y/land_of_the_lost_2009_fighting_in_pyramid_part_2/

Fast Friendly Guy
01-11-2014, 08:23 AM
This is my favorite sleaze course. It takes me seven loops to get above the non-sleaze threshold.

Considering the ritzy neighborhood your creative sleaze rides have no doubt been immortalized on a huge number of home security cams!

Fast Friendly Guy
01-11-2014, 08:28 AM

In my opinion there no shame in a sleaze ride. They're all are good! They represent a commitment to ride each day AND they contribute valuable points to your BAFS team (which in this case is ours) So I say you should have pride that you consciously made to effort to get out there! Way to go!

vvill
01-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Yeah a sleaze ride means you've gone out and ridden on a day where you probably wouldn't have otherwise. (Or you live really close to somewhere you're going for an errand or commute, etc.)

That said, since the threshold is only 2.0 miles I'm making a conscious effort to turn any potential sleaze ride into a non-sleaze ride. One of the few goals I can probably achieve for this FS.

Vicegrip
01-11-2014, 10:25 AM
The way I look at it is every time you go ride in conditions you would otherwise skip you learn. Smetimes even a small change in what you wear or how you set something up can improve your comfort and ride happiness quotient.

CPTJohnC
01-11-2014, 12:45 PM
In my opinion there no shame in a sleaze ride. They're all are good! They represent a commitment to ride each day AND they contribute valuable points to your BAFS team (which in this case is ours) So I say you should have pride that you consciously made to effort to get out there! Way to go!

There might be more than a little self interest in your encouragement :-) but I will keep up the sleazy riding when necessity requires it.

jrenaut
01-11-2014, 01:38 PM
I just did 3.6 miles on CaBi because I just cleaned my chain yesterday and didn't want to get it dirty for a ride to nowhere in between the rain. So, it was totally a sleaze ride because the absolute sole purpose of the ride was to get my daily 10 points and keep my streak going. But it was 3.6 miles, so it technically was not a sleaze ride. Also I went down a few streets in my neighborhood that I've never been on before.

dasgeh
01-11-2014, 03:01 PM
I hope you're okay after your fall! As for a short ride...who cares what it's called if it's points for your team? I have no problems with a sleaze ride, and I would certainly do one in lieu of nothing on any given day.

BTW Karen and I plan to join you on the Magi ride tomorrow. Anything we should bring? Are we supposed to carry stuff?

Dave

Yay that you're coming tomorrow. If you want to bring food to donate, that would be great (though not necessary). If you have an easy way to carry stuff (like panniers), bring it. If not, no worries. I'm taking the ebakfiets, so we should have plenty of room.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

rcannon100
01-11-2014, 05:35 PM
http://cur.cursors-4u.net/smilies/images1/smi20.gif

It Doesnt Matter.
It is a Joke.
Make the kvetching Stop.
It Doesnt Matter.
It is a Joke.
Make the kvetching Stop.
It Doesnt Matter.
It is a Joke.
Make the kvetching Stop.

Rod Smith
01-11-2014, 06:09 PM
It might be a joke to you buddy but equipe trois prennent aller à bicyclette sordide trés grave.

rcannon100
01-11-2014, 06:18 PM
It might be a joke to you buddy but Team three are going to sordid bicycle very serious.

Google Translation

http://ronvanpeursem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/huh1.gif

Rod Smith
01-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Yep!

cvcalhoun
01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Ooh! I thought I wanted to be the Queen of Sleaze Rides, but Queen of Sordid Bicycling sounds even better!

It might be a joke to you buddy but Team three are going to sordid bicycle very serious.

americancyclo
01-14-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm not so secretly gunning for the sleaze ride award, and I was curious about how it is measured. I noticed that on the days I was tied with two or three others, I was always on top of the chart. Are sleaze days measured and ranked according to distance?

If I have two sleaze days of 1.9 miles each will I show up above someone with two sleaze days of 1.1 miles each?

kwarkentien
01-16-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm not so secretly gunning for the sleaze ride award, and I was curious about how it is measured. I noticed that on the days I was tied with two or three others, I was always on top of the chart. Are sleaze days measured and ranked according to distance?

If I have two sleaze days of 1.9 miles each will I show up above someone with two sleaze days of 1.1 miles each?

I think it defaults to alphabetical order when there's a tie.

oldbikechick
01-19-2014, 08:07 PM
I think I went on the slowest sleaze ride ever today. I thought I would just tool around the neighborhood with the kid in the weehoo, but alas, she insisted on riding her own little bike with training wheels. She put in a valiant effort, but our average speed was 2.4 miles per hour. But, she had a smile on her face and quite a sense of accomplishment at the end. I may need to sign her up for a team.

hozn
01-19-2014, 09:23 PM
I think it defaults to alphabetical order when there's a tie.

Yeah, I think this is right -- the order may also be somewhat arbitrary, but I believe it will be consistent. If this becomes a contested chart we can tweak the logic :)

Steve O
01-23-2014, 01:58 PM
It might be a joke to you buddy but equipe trois prennent aller à bicyclette sordide trés grave.

My Google translater says that means: "Team three are going to sordid bicycle very serious"
I'm never going to sordid bicycle. Or if I do it won't be serious.

Steve O
01-23-2014, 01:59 PM
I think I went on the slowest sleaze ride ever today. I thought I would just tool around the neighborhood with the kid in the weehoo, but alas, she insisted on riding her own little bike with training wheels. She put in a valiant effort, but our average speed was 2.4 miles per hour. But, she had a smile on her face and quite a sense of accomplishment at the end. I may need to sign her up for a team.

I once had a Strava segment of 0.2 mph.

dasgeh
01-23-2014, 02:19 PM

The Clarendon Cup and Air Force Cycling Classic (the crit in Crystal City) have kids races. They. Are. Awesome.

bikenurse
01-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Ready for my sleaze ride4543

Greenbelt
01-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Ready for my sleaze ride4543

To be truly ELITE you have to tape over your helmet vent holes.

Fast Friendly Guy
01-24-2014, 07:59 PM

Rod Smith was the first I saw using that technique! (at the WABA Cider Ride)

bikenurse
01-24-2014, 07:59 PM
ok. you just wait.

bikenurse
01-24-2014, 08:10 PM

Now I'm ready for anything

GB
02-09-2014, 11:29 AM
How do you say sleazy in French? ;)

jrenaut
02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
My wife was once upon a time fluent in French but not a native speaker. She says "un tour qui déprécie le cycliste" would be a decent albeit long translation. Slang is always tough to translate.

Rod Smith
02-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Fraudes d'équipe répugnante de Français

rcannon100
02-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Google translation: "Frauds disgusting French team"

Greenbelt
02-09-2014, 07:21 PM
It's not a sleaze ride if you buy something at the store or visit a friend down the street. That's a Neighborhood Utility Trip (NUT).

KayakCyndi
02-09-2014, 07:23 PM
And how can I help it if my office just happens to be 1.2 miles via CABI from Foggy Bottom!

kwarkentien
02-09-2014, 10:36 PM
I think it was written on the bathroom wall if you had taken the opportunity to look. :cool: French Team rules the sleaze ride!!!