PDA

View Full Version : FSSB #2 - Birdges of Arlington County

Mikey
01-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Ok, the polar vortex is leaving and its time for our second freezing saddles side bet. Is your team a bunch of trolls, or the brothers and sisters billy goat gruff? For this challenge you get points for each unique crossing of the Potomac and Anacostia you make. But the trick is each teammate can only take credit for one bridge. If I cross over the 14 th street bridge than someone else on my team only gets credit for a different bridge. All bridges between route 301 and Harper's ferry are allowed. Whites ferry and the water taxi are in play if you ride to and from. Work out your list here or on your Strava page. First team to 10 wins! If you have less than 10 on your team no worries, you can repeat once each player has scored. We will check progress in a week.

DismalScientist
01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Which tributaries of the Anacostia count? So, we can't drive to White's Ferry. What about Harper's Ferry, Point of Rocks and Brunswick? Do the bridges half way over the Potomac at TR Island and Great Falls count (even if illegal)?

Mikey
01-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Which tributaries of the Anacostia count? So, we can't drive to White's Ferry. What about Harper's Ferry, Point of Rocks and Brunswick? Do the bridges half way over the Potomac at TR Island and Great Falls count (even if illegal)?

I'll look at a map tonight and give you the approved list. I'm thinking for the anacostia only counting south capital and the 11th street complex. List to follow.

Steve O
01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
What's a Birdge? And does it hurt if I cross one?

Mikey
01-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Okay billy goats, here is the list of bridge for FSSB#2
WILSON BRIDGE (I-495) FREDERICK DOUGLAS (S. Capitol), 11TH STREET (Navy Yard, SE), PA AVE (SE), EAST CAPITOL, BENNING ROAD (NE), MASON (14TH STREET) , ARLINGTON MEMORIAL , ROOSEVELT (US50/I-66), KEY, CHAIN (VA-123), WHITES FERRY, POINT OF ROCKS (US15), BRUNSWICK ( Berlin Turnpike/ US 17), AND HARPERS FERRY TRESSLE (Appalachian trail).

That's 15 bridges in all. I cannot attest to the safety of any crossing West of the chain bridge, and I imagine that the General Jubal Early is not running through the iced over Potomac. That said first team to 10, and lists the bridge with the teammember who crossed it for each one and then posts the list here wins. As you can see I removed the water taxi, and minor bridges that don't cross the center of the river are out.

Edit - I have removed the Rout 340 bridge due to safety concerns - I don't want to encourage anyone to hurt themselves.

Steve O
01-09-2014, 09:15 AM
If this side bet is popular you could do a variation later in the competition in which each direction on a bridge counts separately, but the same rider cannot get credit for both directions on the same bridge.

DismalScientist
01-09-2014, 09:37 AM
I cannot attest to the safety of any crossing West of the chain bridge, and I imagine that the General Jubal Early is not running through the iced over Potomac.

The status of White's Ferry is posted on its facebook page and is currently closed due to ice on the river.
Do not try to cross on the US 340 bridge near Harper's Ferry.
You may have to walk the trestle at Harper's Ferry, but I assume that still counts.:rolleyes:

Mikey
01-09-2014, 09:42 AM
And if the team competition is too confusing there will be an individual award for the person who crosses the most during the challenge. (I'm currently at 1)

Subby
01-09-2014, 09:47 AM
This a great idea for a challenge!

eminva
01-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Do not try to cross on the US 340 bridge near Harper's Ferry.

I will take your word for it and make no such attempt, but why? Does it defy even your level of intrepidness?

Clarification for Mikey: does the ride have to be part of your commute? You mention Whites Ferry is allowed if you ride to/from. Didn't know if that has to be a long commute home or if it can be a weekend ride.

Liz

Mikey
01-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Clarification for Mikey: does the ride have to be part of your commute? You mention Whites Ferry is allowed if you ride to/from. Didn't know if that has to be a long commute home or if it can be a weekend ride.

Liz

As with all of the side bets. You are your own referee. No, it doesn't have to be part of your commute. And you don't have to ride from your front door to the bridge to make it count. I leave it to everyone to determine what counts and what doesn't. The idea is that for the ferry you had to roll on your bike and roll off, as part of a Canal/W&OD loop, but I'm not puting any restrictions on what counts.

DismalScientist
01-09-2014, 09:56 AM
I will take your word for it and make no such attempt, but why? Does it defy even your level of intrepidness?

Purely a safety concern. 340 is basically a freeway that gets dumped onto a narrow and long two lane shoulderless bridge. The Harper's Ferry railroad trestle (with pedestrian sidepath) is nearby.

TwoWheelsDC
01-09-2014, 09:56 AM
The first person to cross the bridges in a Eulerian Path (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Bridges_of_K%C3%B6nigsberg) automatically wins #BAFS.

Terpfan
01-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Purely a safety concern. 340 is basically a freeway that gets dumped onto a narrow and long two lane shoulderless bridge. The Harper's Ferry railroad trestle is nearby.

I would cross at it, but only if I knew a friend was driving behind me. Also, wouldn't this route give someone credit for two bridges if they just keep going up to that Shenandoah Bridge?

With all that said, I was up there two weeks ago to see family so I probably won't be back up to nab all the bridges there for my team.

MattAune
01-09-2014, 12:31 PM
So I f I am reading this correctly: We cannot have 5 teammates each cross 2 bridges, we have to have each teammate cross one bridge and one teammate cross 2 (we have 9 people).

The first scenario seems completely reasonable.. the second scenario not so much for us.

creadinger
01-09-2014, 12:36 PM
So I f I am reading this correctly: We cannot have 5 teammates each cross 2 bridges, we have to have each teammate cross one bridge and one teammate cross 2 (we have 9 people).

The first scenario seems completely reasonable.. the second scenario not so much for us.

Seriously. Where is Cephas???

DismalScientist
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Also, wouldn't this route give someone credit for two bridges if they just keep going up to that Shenandoah Bridge?

The Shenandoah bridge is entirely doable as it has wide shoulders. But, alas, it does not cross the Potomac.

cvcalhoun
01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Terpfan, can you do any of the bridges? We're busy trying to assign each member of Sloppy Seconds to one. (The discussion is on the team's Strava page.)

I would cross at it, but only if I knew a friend was driving behind me. Also, wouldn't this route give someone credit for two bridges if they just keep going up to that Shenandoah Bridge?

With all that said, I was up there two weeks ago to see family so I probably won't be back up to nab all the bridges there for my team.

MattAune
01-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Seriously. Where is Cephas???

He says he is in. But that still only makes 9.

Terpfan
01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Terpfan, can you do any of the bridges? We're busy trying to assign each member of Sloppy Seconds to one. (The discussion is on the team's Strava page.)

I can't figure out how to get to that page to post. It lets me read it, but not post. I can cover any of the Wilson, 14th St (everyone is probably doing that), I can go up to Memorial or do Key one night next week. Unfortunately I'm kind of out of luck this weekend to do much more than a local morning ride and out of town next weekend (so I need to rack up some points for us in my absence). The Wilson is on my way home. I mean it would be a joy ride across and back, but I've done it many times just because I wanted to ride more in ncie weather.

cvcalhoun
01-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Terpfan, Not sure why you can't post there, if you're logged in. However, Wilson has been assigned to you. Can you please put the name of the bridge into the name of the ride, so we can keep track of when you've done it?

Rod Smith
01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
What about Bladensburg Road and the Anacostia Trail at Bladensburg Waterfront? Both are downstream from where the Northeast/Northwest Branches join.

Mikey
01-09-2014, 07:33 PM
What about Bladensburg Road and the Anacostia Trail at Bladensburg Waterfront? Both are downstream from where the Northeast/Northwest Branches join.

Because I had to draw a line somewhere. I think I chose the bridges I did because the river is wider.

Rod Smith
01-09-2014, 07:40 PM
You drew the lines at Harpers Ferry and Benning Road? Whatever.

ShawnoftheDread
01-09-2014, 08:06 PM
You drew the lines at Harpers Ferry and Benning Road? Whatever.

Cold hard truth: Maryland is the red-headed stepchild of the forum. Maryland-to-Maryland crossings confuse us.

Mikey
01-09-2014, 08:08 PM
I figured there is a little bit for everyone. I'll admit it is a little skewed toward NoVA. I'll allow more choices in the reprise of this challenge later in the winter.

And honestly I think I confsed Bladensburg with Benning.

Rod Smith
01-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Mikey
01-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Don't blame me blame Potomac, MD. If they would just allow a crossing I wouldn't have to go so far west to get a good number of crossings.

Rod Smith
01-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Potomac is Maryland in name only.

cvcalhoun
01-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Tell me about it! I've ended up having to make a special trip from Bethesda to either the South Capitol Street Bridge or the Pennsylvania Avenue SE Bridge, while all those Virginians got their bridges by just going home from work.

Rod Smith
01-09-2014, 08:41 PM
You know they would all be driving to work if they didn't have to cross the Potomac.

dkel
01-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Tell me about it! I've ended up having to make a special trip from Bethesda to either the South Capitol Street Bridge or the Pennsylvania Avenue SE Bridge, while all those Virginians got their bridges by just going home from work.

Hey, man! We Virginians gave our share to the District; the District gave it back (in 1846, to be exact)!!

Mikey
01-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Hey, man! We Virginians gave our share to the District; the District gave it back (in 1846, to be exact)!!

More accurately we took it back, but Congress was a little busy with Bleeding Kansas to notice. All over the right to own other people, not quite the moral high ground. :0

dkel
01-09-2014, 10:44 PM
More accurately we took it back, but Congress was a little busy with Bleeding Kansas to notice. All over the right to own other people, not quite the moral high ground. :0

And most relevant, none of this helps with the bridge issue for Marylanders. (The OCD part of me does wish DC were a diamond, though.)

MattAune
01-10-2014, 05:58 AM
While it wont help out team, I do second Rod's notion that all the bridges along the Anacostia trail should count. It is a nice trail and if the Benning rd bridge gets someone out there for the first time that's a good thing.

Rod Smith
01-10-2014, 07:32 AM
It's a great side bet challenge either way and the fact that four of our team are already on the right side of the Potomac thereby having no reason to cross it (unless we want $160 traffic tickets or felony conviction for wearing a balaclava) has nothing to do with my suggestion. Nor the fact that two of us live within two miles of those neglected bridges. :p

rcannon100
01-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Rod, I thought Maryland was on the left side....

Rod Smith
01-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Matt, the Anacostia Trail in DC doesn't connect to the Anacostia Trail in MD yet although it will eventually. Routing across New York Ave. seems to be a problem. I won't suggest New York Ave (Route 50) be included in this side bet challenge. Limited access highway, probably illegal to bicycle there. I'd do it for sure though if I had a reason. :rolleyes:

Rod Smith
01-10-2014, 07:43 AM

You might be holding your map upside down. :p

MattAune
01-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Matt, the Anacostia Trail in DC doesn't connect to the Anacostia Trail in MD yet although it will eventually. Routing across New York Ave. seems to be a problem. I won't suggest New York Ave (Route 50) be included in this side bet challenge. Limited access highway, probably illegal to bicycle there. I'd do it for sure though if I had a reason. :rolleyes:

Makes sense.

For the record, I didn't realize that E Capital and Benning Rd had been added to the list already. Those were the two I was lobbying for. I rode The east side of the Anacostia trail and crossed on Benning on Jan 1. It was a great ride. Do rides before the side bet was announced, but during freezing saddles count?

Mikey
01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Makes sense.

For the record, I didn't realize that E Capital and Benning Rd had been added to the list already. Those were the two I was lobbying for. I rode The east side of the Anacostia trail and crossed on Benning on Jan 1. It was a great ride. Do rides before the side bet was announced, but during freezing saddles count?

Since it's all for fun, yes. We will have a more challenging bridge challenge later in the winter and I will include a more thorough list of bridges. For this one I don't want to confuse people and change the list too much.

cyclingfool
01-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Maryland - la rive gauche

cvcalhoun
01-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Of course today, I wondered why we bothered with bridges over the Potomac at all. I could pretty much have ridden my bike across at any random point.

dkel
01-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Scored the 14th St bridge for team 7 today (my wife helped).
I had never ridden into DC from VA before. It was great! There were cars everywhere, and planes going overhead, and monuments all over...I felt like a tourist! I also did a tour of Hains Point, but because I went in on one side and out the other, I didn't score a full lap. Whatever, though! Thanks, BAFS for getting me out where I wouldn't have gone otherwise!

cvcalhoun
01-11-2014, 04:41 PM
How could the People's Republic of Montgomery County possibly be anywhere other than the left side?

Maryland - la rive gauche

Mikey
01-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Scored the 14th St bridge for team 7 today (my wife helped).
I had never ridden into DC from VA before. It was great! There were cars everywhere, and planes going overhead, and monuments all over...I felt like a tourist! I also did a tour of Haines Point, but because I went in on one side and out the other, I didn't score a full lap. Whatever, though! Thanks, BAFS for getting me out where I wouldn't have gone otherwise!
There is an "unofficial crossing the ditch" ceremony, but it usually involves swimming through a pool of vanilla pudding and rolling around on your back before King Neptune buys you a beer or two. Welcome to the order of the multi-municipality!

dasgeh
01-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Do I get a prize if I found a bridge you missed? :-)

dasgeh
01-13-2014, 03:27 PM
PS - Team 9 -- to the Strava discussion page (http://www.strava.com/clubs/46202/discussion)!

cvcalhoun
01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Sloppy Seconds hereby announces it has completed the FSSB #2 - Bridges of Arlington County challenge. (Last two rides to be uploaded shortly.) Results are as follows:

POINT OF ROCKS (US15) - Subby (1/1)
KEY - acl (1/9)
MASON (14TH STREET) - scorchedearth (1/9)
ROOSEVELT (US50/I-66) - TwoWheelsDC (1/9)
WILSON BRIDGE (I-495) - Terpfan (1/9)
11TH STREET (Navy Yard, SE) - elwbikes (1/10)
FREDERICK DOUGLAS (S. Capitol) - me (1/10)
BENNING ROAD (NE) - elwbikes (1/12)
ARLINGTON MEMORIAL - bikenurse, formerly mllwhnp (1/13)
CHAIN (VA-123) - consularrider (1/13)

ShawnoftheDread
01-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Do I get a prize if I found a bridge you missed? :-)

I think he stated that halfway-across bridges don't count.

vvill
01-13-2014, 07:38 PM

"you can repeat once each player has scored" - doesn't that mean elwbikes can't score Benning road until after consularrider's done Chain? Just clarifying.

Mikey
01-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Congrats team 2 Sloppy seconds for completing FSSB#2!
I hope this gave you a chance to connect on your strava page, and learn where your teammates are coming from. For some of you you found a new way into or out of the city. For everyone else fear not there will be a more challenging FSSB in the future.

Mikey
01-13-2014, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=vvill;74660]"you can repeat once each player has scored" - doesn't that mean elwbikes can't score Benning road until after consularrider's done Chain? Just c
Ruling... It's okay as long as everyone on the team scored at least one different bridge and you scored a total of 10 authorized bridge.

peterw_diy
01-13-2014, 08:08 PM

Rats. I mean, congrats. Yeah, that's it!

Thanks, Mikey, for getting me out on the bike at lunchtime to see a bit more of the Other Side. My teammates probably appreciate the extra points, too.

Mikey
01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Honorable mention to team 9 from outer space. They waited until the last minute, but mounted quite a charge this afternoon. If not for the team part of the challenge, I'm sure Dirt would have had 10 crossings by the first day.

cvcalhoun
01-13-2014, 08:41 PM
We not only connected on our Strava page, but connected in person with a happy hour this evening. (The last bridge was crossed on the way to the happy hour.) Thanks for fostering the connection!

I hope this gave you a chance to connect on your strava page, and learn where your teammates are coming from. For some of you you found a new way into or out of the city. For everyone else fear not there will be a more challenging FSSB in the future.

bikenurse
01-13-2014, 08:50 PM
We not only connected on our Strava page, but connected in person with a happy hour this evening. (The last bridge was crossed on the way to the happy hour.) Thanks for fostering the connection!
Kudos to my teammates for all their bridge crossings and the peer pressure. Living in PG County I would not have crossed the Arlington Mem Bridge without some incentive - like happy hour at Chadwick's (and a 60 deg day in January for a 40 mile ride). Great to meet Carol, Emma, Chris & Chris - wonderful team mates!

Greenbelt
01-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Kudos to my teammates for all their bridge crossings and the peer pressure. Living in PG County I would not have crossed the Arlington Mem Bridge without some incentive - like happy hour at Chadwick's (and a 60 deg day in January for a 40 mile ride). Great to meet Carol, Emma, Chris & Chris - wonderful team mates!

Sloppy 2nds partial team photo. Chris = best non teammate ever! Jeff

vvill
01-14-2014, 09:11 AM
Congrats to Team 2, and thanks to Mikey for coming up with a fun and interesting challenge!

Steve O
01-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Sloppy Seconds hereby announces it has completed the FSSB #2 - Bridges of Arlington County challenge. Results are as follows:

POINT OF ROCKS (US15) - Subby (1/1)
KEY - acl (1/9)
MASON (14TH STREET) - scorchedearth (1/9)
ROOSEVELT (US50/I-66) - TwoWheelsDC (1/9)
WILSON BRIDGE (I-495) - Terpfan (1/9)

Is the Point of Rocks crossing a typo - 1/1? I didn't realize that you could go backwards in time.
Congrats regardless. We had two MD members of our team who were inconveniently located, so we got 7 birdges by 7 members. (Plus a bunch of extras that Vince & Greg crossed on a weekend "crash the bridges" ride last Saturday.)

Amalitza
01-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Is the Point of Rocks crossing a typo - 1/1? I didn't realize that you could go backwards in time.
Congrats regardless. We had two MD members of our team who were inconveniently located, so we got 7 birdges by 7 members. (Plus a bunch of extras that Vince & Greg crossed on a weekend "crash the bridges" ride last Saturday.)

Not a typo. We adjusted our plan after this.

Makes sense.

Since it's all for fun, yes. We will have a more challenging bridge challenge later in the winter and I will include a more thorough list of bridges. For this one I don't want to confuse people and change the list too much.

Calvinball!!!