PDA

View Full Version : We should allow an extra 10 points for commuting to work today

Mantadiver
01-07-2014, 08:32 AM
5 degrees and 25 mph winds. That is the coldest weather I have ever ridden in.

Mikey
01-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Actually we should suspend the 10 pt bonus for today and only give mileage points. That would remove the incentive to do anything stupid. Don't get me wrong I got my mile in but that's because I had to get to work.

guga31bb
01-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Just got to work. First time commuting with bar mitts and they are awesome -- only part of my body that felt cold at end of ride was feet. Not sure what to do about that...

Pretty nice day, all things considered.

TwoWheelsDC
01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Just got to work. First time commuting with bar mitts and they are awesome -- only part of my body that felt cold at end of ride was feet. Not sure what to do about that...

I put plastic bags over my wool socks before putting my shoes on. Seemed to help a bit.

sethpo
01-07-2014, 09:43 AM

New product idea: Pedal mitts! Pedal socks? Pedal Slippers?? We can work on the marketing later...

jrenaut
01-07-2014, 09:46 AM
My feet were fine, which is somewhat unusual. My hands were frozen, despite only 3.5 miles and using merino glove liners under my regular gloves. Other than my hands, though, I've had worse commutes (warmer weather but not dressed as well).

Justin Antos
01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
the incentive to do anything stupid.

The essence of Freezing Saddles, in 6 words.

consularrider
01-07-2014, 11:02 AM
My only issue was my eyewear fogging up (that and feeling like Ralphie from being bundled up ;)). I guess it's time to break down and buy some real goggles. My concession to the temperatures and wind was to just ride my most direct and safe route rather than adding milage (which also gave me a tailwind the whole way :D). Still more than enough to avoid the sleeze ride label.

kwarkentien
01-07-2014, 02:43 PM
New product idea: Pedal mitts! Pedal socks? Pedal Slippers?? We can work on the marketing later...

I think you're on to something!!!!

kwarkentien
01-07-2014, 02:45 PM
My only issue was my eyewear fogging up (that and feeling like Ralphie from being bundled up ;)). I guess it's time to break down and buy some real goggles. My concession to the temperatures and wind was to just ride my most direct and safe route rather than adding milage (which also gave me a tailwind the whole way :D). Still more than enough to avoid the sleeze ride label.

I'm sleazy and I make no excuses for it. (It also happens that the longest I've been able to stretch the CaBi ride out to is just under 0.9 miles so that's just the way it is.) On a day like today, I'm happy for sleaze.

cyclingfool
01-07-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm sleazy and I make no excuses for it. (It also happens that the longest I've been able to stretch the CaBi ride out to is just under 0.9 miles so that's just the way it is.) On a day like today, I'm happy for sleaze.

Slow and sleazy wins the race, right? :)

(Kudos, teammate)

ozmeister1984
01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
It wasn't that bad, did my 10 miles to work. Going home should be fun though.

dkel
01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
The headwind I fought all the way in (probably the only reason my feet got cold) will be a lovely tailwind all the way home. Last night's tailwind meant I was nice and toasty, and my speed was up; looking forward to the same tonight.

KelOnWheels
01-07-2014, 03:45 PM

consularrider
01-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Those are just fuzzy gaiters and don't help your toes at all! It also looks a little skimpy up above for the current condtions. ;)

Steve O
01-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Those are just fuzzy gaiters and don't help your toes at all!
Speak for yourself. My toes and most of the rest of me feels a lot warmer.

sethpo
01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Speak for yourself. My toes and most of the rest of me feels a lot warmer.

bet they look HOT!

kwarkentien
01-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Slow and sleazy wins the race, right? :)

(Kudos, teammate)

Absolutely!

dkel
01-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Last night's tailwind meant I was nice and toasty, and my speed was up; looking forward to the same tonight.

For some reason, I was colder tonight than last night, and the temp was higher than last night! I'm thoroughly confused. The only differences were that I had less of a tailwind tonight than last night (which may make a difference), and I was riding later last night than tonight (which shouldn't make a difference, I think). Admittedly, the temp tonight was only up by a degree or two compared to last night, but still: same gear, same route. Whatever. The North Pole can have its stupid frigid air back, as far as I'm concerned. The cold hasn't stopped me, but I can't say I prefer it.