PDA

View Full Version : Easy ways to manually enter data?

peterw_diy
12-13-2013, 01:49 PM
In this soft launch phase I'm learning that data entry is my biggest problem.

First, I seldom use the phone app. Sometimes I'm too rushed to bother tapping through to start recording a ride (like taking the kid to school) and sometimes I just forget. Sometimes I start recording and don't remember to stop recording when I get to my destination.

Second, Strava's "Upload" manual entry interface is very tedious, so it's very unpleasant to play catch-up.

On most days I'm taking the same trips, with routes of basically the same distance. One school round trip. One trip to work. One trip home. Sometimes a quick ride to one of our favorite grocery stores. What I'd like is a nice interface that would let me save information about some of my more common routes and then use that to quickly create activities. I imagine something like a list of typical routes with checkboxes and a date picker so I could quickly feed data to bafs/Strava. Or maybe a calendar grid that I can drag and drop route names on. I can imagine exactly how to do this in a web page with a little javascript and a minimal server-side piece (to regurgitate the data in one of the file formats that Strava accepts). Has someone already built such a thing?

Thanks.

americancyclo
12-13-2013, 02:02 PM
sounds like you need a garmin.

TwoWheelsDC
12-13-2013, 02:12 PM
In this soft launch phase I'm learning that data entry is my biggest problem.

First, I seldom use the phone app. Sometimes I'm too rushed to bother tapping through to start recording a ride (like taking the kid to school) and sometimes I just forget. Sometimes I start recording and don't remember to stop recording when I get to my destination.

Second, Strava's "Upload" manual entry interface is very tedious, so it's very unpleasant to play catch-up.

On most days I'm taking the same trips, with routes of basically the same distance. One school round trip. One trip to work. One trip home. Sometimes a quick ride to one of our favorite grocery stores. What I'd like is a nice interface that would let me save information about some of my more common routes and then use that to quickly create activities. I imagine something like a list of typical routes with checkboxes and a date picker so I could quickly feed data to bafs/Strava. Or maybe a calendar grid that I can drag and drop route names on. I can imagine exactly how to do this in a web page with a little javascript and a minimal server-side piece (to regurgitate the data in one of the file formats that Strava accepts). Has someone already built such a thing?

Thanks.

Endomondo can do basically what you're asking, but Strava doesn't. But if you go to Strava>Upload Activity, on the left you'll see a tab for "Manual Entry." I'm pretty sure a lot of people did this during last year's competition, so I don't think it'll cause any problems with the points totals.

dasgeh
12-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Any Android users out there who have figured out a widget to put on the home screen to open Strava and start it recording a ride with one tap?

hozn
12-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Tapiriik.com now supports syncing stationary activities (before it was only stuff with geo), so you may want to simply use one of the other tapiriik.com-supported sites and have that automatically published to Strava. (E.g. if Endomondo is better, use that.) I am not 100% sure that this feature has been deployed, but know that Collin merged in that code.

My ridewithgps.com support was also merged in, but when he then merged in the stationary support that had to be disabled. It's on my plate to go back and add the stationary activity suppor to rwgps. I will circle back on that once the freezing saddles stuff is in a good place (I think we're pretty close).

In general, though, the problems you describe with forgetting to start a recording or to stop are things that all of us likely experienced (and still experience, though less frequently) when we started using devices to capture ride data & upload it to these types of sites.

jrenaut
12-13-2013, 10:19 PM
You may be in luck - I haven't been Strava-ing many rides lately because I haven't been anywhere interesting, but I did today in part because I wanted some data on my Freezing Saddles profile. Unfortunately, my phone decided to search for a GPS signal for the first four miles or so of my ride (And then I dropped my front derailleur on the Rock Creek Park Trail - I'll probably post about it here somewhere). So I may also be looking for a way to quickly manually enter rides. And when your needs align with the needs of the web developers, you win!

I'll keep you posted, but there's probably a way we can make this work for people who can't or don't want to use Strava all the time.

peterw_diy
12-13-2013, 11:17 PM
You may be in luck - I haven't been Strava-ing many rides lately because I haven't been anywhere interesting, but I did today in part because I wanted some data on my Freezing Saddles profile. Unfortunately, my phone decided to search for a GPS signal for the first four miles or so of my ride (And then I dropped my front derailleur on the Rock Creek Park Trail - I'll probably post about it here somewhere). So I may also be looking for a way to quickly manually enter rides. And when your needs align with the needs of the web developers, you win!

I'll keep you posted, but there's probably a way we can make this work for people who can't or don't want to use Strava all the time.

That sounds great -- the avoiding-Strava-and-uploading-easily bit, not the derailleur. Dropped your derailleur? Ouch.

jrenaut
12-14-2013, 08:47 AM
I just mean that the cable popped out. I put it back in and managed to get to the bike shop.

MattAune
12-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Tapiriik.com now supports syncing stationary activities (before it was only stuff with geo), so you may want to simply use one of the other tapiriik.com-supported sites and have that automatically published to Strava. (E.g. if Endomondo is better, use that.) I am not 100% sure that this feature has been deployed, but know that Collin merged in that code.

My ridewithgps.com support was also merged in, but when he then merged in the stationary support that had to be disabled. It's on my plate to go back and add the stationary activity suppor to rwgps. I will circle back on that once the freezing saddles stuff is in a good place (I think we're pretty close).

In general, though, the problems you describe with forgetting to start a recording or to stop are things that all of us likely experienced (and still experience, though less frequently) when we started using devices to capture ride data & upload it to these types of sites.

Did Tapiriik drop support for endomondo? I used the service for the NBC but I no longer see an endomondo link on my tapiriik connections page.

Jason B
12-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Sorry to diverge a tad bit, but how are people uploading their trainer rides with full stats (speed, heart cdc) to strava? This is for a friend who is using a trainer, not me of course.;)

MattAune
12-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Sorry to diverge a tad bit, but how are people uploading their trainer rides with full stats (speed, heart cdc) to strava? This is for a friend who is using a trainer, not me of course.;)

From a Garmin or similar device that records ANT+ sensor data. Or sometimes I use TrainerRoad and an ANT+ usb key in the computer. TrainerRoad has a .tcx export, then I upload the file to strava.

hozn
12-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Did Tapiriik drop support for endomondo? I used the service for the NBC but I no longer see an endomondo link on my tapiriik connections page.

My guess is that Collin hasn't finished the stationary activity support for Endomondo so it is temporarily disabled. I will ask when I circle back on that project.

Subby
12-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Random shoutout to tapiriik. I love it! Having everything automatically upload to dropbox is the bee's knees.

vvill
12-17-2013, 08:04 AM

If you have a Garmin there is the GSC-10 sensor, that transmits speed and cadence (with good old magnets) to the Garmin head unit. Costs ~$35+

Jason B
12-17-2013, 08:19 AM
If you have a Garmin there is the GSC-10 sensor, that transmits speed and cadence (with good old magnets) to the Garmin head unit. Costs ~$35+

Thanks for help with this.I didn't realize Trainerroad could be transferred to strava.
thanks again

vvill
12-17-2013, 08:44 AM
No problem! I should re-word slightly to say "(measured with good old magnets)". Transmission is wireless.

Tip for crank mounted magnets: you can use a ring shaped rare earth magnet on the inside of your pedal spindle instead of zip tie-ing the included magnet to your crank. It might be slightly heavier but is well worth it imo.

jrenaut
12-17-2013, 08:51 AM
...you can use a ring shaped rare earth magnet on the inside of your pedal spindle instead of zip tie-ing the included magnet to your crank...
Zip ties on your cranks are SO un-ELITE

Vicegrip
12-17-2013, 09:12 AM
No problem! I should re-word slightly to say "(measured with good old magnets)". Transmission is wireless.

Tip for crank mounted magnets: you can use a ring shaped rare earth magnet on the inside of your pedal spindle instead of zip tie-ing the included magnet to your crank. It might be slightly heavier but is well worth it imo.small disk magnets the size of the back of the pedal spindle work too. Less weight than the stock one for the weight wee-kneez to boot. That said I am too lazy to upgrade and still have the stock one with a stainless wire holding it in place. OMG So un-elite.

I like to use the Garmin usb dongle in the laptop. Run Traineroad and Netflix at the same time to cut into the mind and butt numbing aspects of riding the mouse wheel.

Tim Kelley
12-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Zip ties on your cranks are SO un-ELITE

A powertap will measure cadence without the need for anything on the cranks!

vvill
12-17-2013, 10:01 AM
The PowerTap cadence is based on spikes in your power though (I think?), so in theory if you have a perfectly smooth stroke it won't measure properly.

small disk magnets the size of the back of the pedal spindle work too. Less weight than the stock one for the weight wee-kneez to boot. That said I am too lazy to upgrade and still have the stock one with a stainless wire holding it in place. OMG So un-elite.

Yeah I use the ring shape because it's easier to remove. I have Crank Bros pedals which use a hex in the back of the pedal spindle, so I'd occasionally want to remove the magnet. If your pedals use a normal pedal wrench there's probably no need for the ring shape.

I had a zip tie for some time but it was prone to moving around every now and then, and you also get occasional rubbing when you ride. Also: Not aero. :D

americancyclo
12-17-2013, 10:45 AM
I use the ring shape because it's easier to remove.

link?

MattAune
12-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Quarq and SRMs have the magnet mounted to a BB cup or BB guide. cant see the magnet at all.

I do notice that my powertaps read cadence lower than my quarq, fwiw.

Tim Kelley
12-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Quarq and SRMs have the magnet mounted to a BB cup or BB guide. cant see the magnet at all.

I do notice that my powertaps read cadence lower than my quarq, fwiw.

PTs use science to estimate the cadence, so you'll see some crazy fluctuations here and there (like 250rpm spikes) but they are generally pretty consistent, which is the important part.

hozn
12-17-2013, 02:20 PM
small disk magnets the size of the back of the pedal spindle work too. Less weight than the stock one for the weight wee-kneez to boot. That said I am too lazy to upgrade and still have the stock one with a stainless wire holding it in place. OMG So un-elite.

This is what I do. I haven't found it to be a problem with removing pedals with a hex wrench; they pop off easily with a tool -- though you do have to be careful not to lose the magnet. I could see ring being a little more convenient if they're easy to find (?)

The disc magnets can be found on ebay easily; search for "Icarus crank magnet". I imagine there are cheaper ways to get them.

vvill
12-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Yeah I think we're all talking about the same location. By inside spindle I mean back of spindle, or whatever.

link?

These worked for me. Just keep them away from kids (maybe). Probably cheaper on ebay, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Magcraft-NSN0814-2-Inch-Magnets-12-Count/dp/B001DCVGH0/