PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Saddles Meet and Greet Happy Hour?

Arlingtonrider
12-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Would anyone be interested in a Capitol City Shirlington happy hour in January in honor of the 2014 Freezing Saddles participants?

I'd be glad to put one together for the second or third Thursday of January, or we could do something on a weekend. (I spoke to one participant who can't make the 3rd Thursday but could make the second one.)

I realize not everyone would be able to come, but thought it might be fun to offer a chance for people to meet some of their teammates and others (and get some early milege in!). All would be welcome, including alumni, friends, etc.

Update: The happy hour will be Jan. 2, 2014. More info in later posts on this thread.

KLizotte
12-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Awesome idea as always! No preference on date.

AlexBikeCommute
12-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Awesome! Good seeing you this evening!

:)
Krista

dkel
12-12-2013, 09:58 PM
I'd love to do this, as it would be a great opportunity for me to meet some people for the first time. I'm stuck at work in Vienna till at least 6:00 or 7:00 on Thursdays, but that's just me. I've had some luck using needtomeet.com (http://www.needtomeet.com) for getting the most people possible to a meeting; you could get an email list from rcannon100 or hozn to populate the form, as they seem to have mastered registrations and data.

TwoWheelsDC
12-12-2013, 10:02 PM
We should've done this last year! I didn't officially meet my teammates until the awards ceremony last year, and looking back I think the competition would've been more fun and fierce had I known them beforehand. Too bad the start coincides with the holidays, otherwise we could announce the teams AT the happy hour.

KayakCyndi
12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Love it! Of course I'm traveling for a good bit of Jan so don't plan around me but I'll be there if I can.

Fast Friendly Guy
12-13-2013, 04:36 AM
Oh yeah, I'm there!

ShawnoftheDread
12-13-2013, 05:13 AM
We should've done this last year! I didn't officially meet my teammates until the awards ceremony last year, and looking back I think the competition would've been more fun and fierce had I known them beforehand.

That's what happens when you sleep in for group rides!

Mikey
12-13-2013, 07:39 AM
I would actually be available for the first Thursday (Jan 2) but not the other ones - Boys Basketball practice. If anyone is going back to work after the holiday early (2nd) I'd be happy to meet up in Shirlington, or Crystal City, or anywhere really for a beer.

TwoWheelsDC
12-13-2013, 08:15 AM
That's what happens when you sleep in for group rides!

Given how that day ended up, I feel pretty good about my decision.

ejwillis62
12-13-2013, 08:22 AM
I like the idea of a meetup. It would be nice to be able to put names to faces. I have a hard time remembering who people are.

LIZ

consularrider
12-13-2013, 08:40 AM
:confused:I like the idea of a first Thursday Happy Hour, but will enough people be in town? Of course, I'm also available for second Thursday and third Thursday Thursday Happy Hours. :D

Arlingtonrider
12-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Let's narrow this down to the first or second Thursday (January 2 or 9). Please pipe in and let me know if these dates (both or either) work for you!

I volunteer to make a special award to the person who completes the most mileage on January 1, 2014 and is a member of a team and present at the Freezing Saddles happy hour. The fun begins!

(And for those of who aren't aware of it, there is a traditional century ride at Hains Point on New Year's Day that anyone can participate in for any distance. Loop d' Loop, Circle of Cycles - whatever you want to call it, it's a lot of fun. Riders of all abilities participate and many bring snacks to share.)

KayakCyndi
12-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Let's narrow this down to the first or second Thursday (January 2 or 9). Please pipe in and let me know if these dates (both or either) for you!

I can likely do the 2nd but definitely not the 9th.

Jason B
12-13-2013, 10:00 AM
I am totally up for this only if my team can't trade me after they meet me.

rcannon100
12-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Both work 4 mii. I prefer the 9th - but both work.

Steve O
12-13-2013, 11:06 AM
I will make whichever date we choose work. Screw my job and my family; this is Freezing Saddles!

PeteD
12-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Due to my amazing ability to have travel plans during any BA happy hours, I'm expecting no matter which day is decided upon, to be either out of state or out of the country. If I'm lucky enough to find myself within the beltway for the date chosen, bet that I'll try my hardest to be there.

--Pete

ShawnoftheDread
12-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Given how that day ended up, I feel pretty good about my decision.

It ended with me winning a pair of gloves. Ha!

rcannon100
12-13-2013, 11:44 AM
we could announce the teams AT the happy hour.

+1

Arlingtonrider
12-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Mark your calendars for Jan. 2! Freezing Saddles Meet and Greet happy hour, including announcement of the teams and an award for the most Jan. 1 mileage by a team participant who is present, at Capitol City Brewing Company in Shirlington. More details to follow later. :)

ejwillis62
12-13-2013, 02:49 PM
I like it and let's stick with the idea that our teams cannot trade us once they meet us. :)

Vicegrip
12-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I am in. Great way to start off the year.

dkel
12-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Jan. 2 is a rare Thursday off work for me! I'm excited!

Mikey
12-13-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm riding in, the wife and kids will meet us there. So excited!

hozn
12-13-2013, 06:52 PM
I will try to make it too, despite not actually being a participant :)

TwoWheelsDC
12-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Remind us again why you aren't participating? You're still going to be riding, right?

hozn
12-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Remind us again why you aren't participating? You're still going to be riding, right?

Yeah, I will be riding; I just won't be able to ride as much as last year and don't want to feel like I have to ride (and I would). I mostly enjoy cycling because it is /not/ a team sport :-) I will be back for the 2015 edition most likely.

Riley Casey
12-13-2013, 08:56 PM
So does this mean this drunken bacchanale, err meet & greet is open to winter riders who are not competitors? Or worse yet aren't even in Arlington?

rcannon100
12-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I will be riding; I just won't be able to ride as much as last year and don't want to feel like I have to ride (and I would). I mostly enjoy cycling because it is /not/ a team sport :-) I will be back for the 2015 edition most likely.

We could form an official slacker team. I would join :-) We could create a special algorithm for how that teams score is calculated.

It can be the Drew Kerry Team: "where everything's made up and the points don't matter"

hozn
12-14-2013, 03:26 AM
We could form an official slacker team. I would join :-) We could create a special algorithm for how that teams score is calculated.

It can be the Drew Kerry Team: "where everything's made up and the points don't matter"

:) Yeah, that'd be awesome! Others may object to the special treatment; of course writing the scoreboard app does have its perqs ... :)

But seriously I do think it is a great competition, so when I am ready to feel good and competitive about it, I will join up. I think next (next) year is a good target. I was absolutely floored by how hardcore this group was last year. I suspect that the award for highest mileage on Jan 1 will establish the insanity of this competition immediately. I was thinking about that prize and wondering ... would 100 miles be enough? Certainly not. Would 200 miles guarantee victory? Maybe not ...

This is an awesome and humbling competition. I do look forward to having the wherewithal to pick up the gauntlet at some point in the future :-)

consularrider
12-14-2013, 05:08 AM
So does this mean this drunken bacchanale, err meet & greet is open to winter riders who are not competitors? Or worse yet aren't even in Arlington?
Everyone is always welcome at Cap City!

Arlingtonrider
12-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Hozn,

You just happened to be in the super-competitive group. I totally get where you're coming from and I know you put a lot of pressure on yourself last year and that you have a new little one at home. I think the idea of a Slackers Team might be fun - but suggest that it be limited to Freezing Saddles alumni who volunteer to help with the contest and events the year they are on a Slackers Team. (RCannon100, Ronwalf, you, I and perhaps some others meet those conditions.) That will help keep this going. I think most of us will want to be on regular teams at least every other year anyway.

I look at Freezing Saddles as a fun contest for everyone, even though the winners and a group of competitors may turn out to be hardcore. What happened last year is that three teams were neck and neck and became super-competitive, which was awesome and made this even more fun. But many more of us were just trying to keep up with our commuting, ride a little more mileage and/or some bad weather days we wouldn't have otherwise, ride more days, and move up a few notches for our teams. Those who are new to this should keep in mind that a rider who rides at least a mile a day scores 10 points for that day, which, if you ride every day, makes you just as valuable to the team as someone who rides 60 miles one day a week. If you ride short distances some days and long distances others, you rack up even more points. You don't have to do really long rides to have a good finish in the competition - you just have to ride consistently.

The main thing that happened last year is that lots of us found incentive to ride as many days as possible in addition to our work commutes and to add some extra rides/mileage to our routines. We ended up riding our bikes to buy groceries more often, to the post office, library, to have coffee or lunch with friends or whatever else we could think of that would get us on our bikes on any given day to go at least one mile and hopefully more. We went on more weekend and group rides. We also learned what to wear and how to ride in rain or on really cold days so that it was no longer a big deal. Riding on bad weather days (in addition to making us badass) helped push our teams ahead because some on other teams would opt to stay off their bikes. Freezing Saddles was extra incentive to go out there and do it. We competed at whatever level we felt like. We did occasionally have some urging/invitations from our teammates or other Freezing Saddles participants to join them on group rides (great for earning team points). Over most of the competition, perhaps other than the last week of it (and maybe even then), most or all of the teams opened their rides to all Freezing Saddles participants, regardless of which team they were on.

Overall, people made a lot of new friends, learned a lot about cold weather riding and how to feel comfortable and had tons of fun. I would guess that maybe 15% of the FS participants did occasional mega-rides. The level of competitiveness is whatever you want to make it. Really, this note is more for all the potential FS participants out there than for you, Hozn. I just want people to know that they don't have to go all out or be super-athletes to have a wonderful time participating in Freezing Saddles. I thought it was a total blast and I never did any of the crazy long rides. I'd love to see more new people doing this each year and don't want it to be intimidating to anyone. So that's my take on things.

And as far as the mini-contest for the longest ride on Jan. 1 - that's really to encourage people just to go ride. Mainly I was thinking of the Hains Point Loop d' Loop ride. All are welcome to that, and you can ride as little or as much as you want. It's a lot of fun to ride and meet up with friends there. Also, all are welcome at the Freezing Saddles happy hours or any other happy hours that I'm involved in organizing. As far as the contest itself, even though we sometimes call it BAFS (Bike Arlington Freezing Saddles), Freezing Saddles had participants from DC, Maryland, Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, etc.

KLizotte
12-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Riley, we would be HONORED by your presence!!!!!

hozn
12-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I should probably be clearer so I don't give newcomers a bad impression of the competition! :)

(1) I had a blast last year.
(2) I tend not to participate in competitions just-for-fun (i.e. I intend to win!) and
(3) I have a very Minnesotan sense of obligation not to let my team down. #2 and #3 resulted in a lot of miles (but not near as many as consularrider or rod). But #1 was always true.

Freezing saddles was really my introduction to this community and that has been fantastic.

I don't really want to join a slacker team, but I am enjoying the software work and keen to crash whatever freezing saddles happy hours I can :)

DismalScientist
12-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Will there be beer?:rolleyes:

Riley Casey
12-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Hmmm ... "Any club that would have me as a member ...":rolleyes:

Riley, we would be HONORED by your presence!!!!!

vvill
12-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I look at Freezing Saddles as a fun contest for everyone, even though the winners and a group of competitors may turn out to be hardcore. What happened last year is that three teams were neck and neck and became super-competitive, which was awesome and made this even more fun. But many more of us were just trying to keep up with our commuting, ride a little more mileage and/or some bad weather days we wouldn't have otherwise, ride more days, and move up a few notches for our teams. Those who are new to this should keep in mind that a rider who rides at least a mile a day scores 20 points for that day (I think), which, if you ride every day, makes you just as valuable to the team as someone who rides 120 miles one day a week. If you ride short distances some days and long distances others, you rack up even more points. You don't have to do really long rides to have a good finish in the competition - you just have to ride consistently.

Yeah as someone who rode in one of the teams that ended up being competitive, it always helped just to have a team member ride on a day. I really think this whole thing can be done either competitively or just-for-fun (especially if you like numbers, charts, etc.). I am firmly in the latter group this time around - the first time it was actually more just "hang on, they just rode more miles, and they're only a teensie bit ahead of us, we can do that" spiralling out of control. The other thing I loved was how it provided motivation to get out every single day - something that I learned keeps me more sane through the cold dark months.

Also, I am sure hozn could just win "fastest average speed" easily if he wanted to...

Tim Kelley
12-16-2013, 09:58 AM
BikeArlington still has some of the Washington Area Bike Forum reflective zipper pulls. If someone wants to pick some up before the happy hour to distribute, it might make identifying each other while you're out and about riding a little easier.

americancyclo
12-16-2013, 10:27 AM
BikeArlington still has some of the Washington Area Bike Forum reflective zipper pulls. If someone wants to pick some up before the happy hour to distribute, it might make identifying each other while you're out and about riding a little easier.

I've been rocking mine since last year, love em!

ShawnoftheDread
12-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Anecdotal evidence is they either don't work as trailside ID, or people don't want to cop to recognizing me. My money's on the latter.

Arlingtonrider
12-17-2013, 04:52 PM
I corrected my long post above to reflect that you earn 10 points for a one mile day - not 20. Still, riding every day that you can makes a big difference for your team - especially over time.

Fast Friendly Guy
12-18-2013, 04:40 AM
I corrected my long post above to reflect that you earn 10 points for a one mile day - not 20. Still, riding every day that you can makes a big difference for your team - especially over time.

Alright! Say, K, could you confirm the kickoff is Jan 2nd ~6pm? at Capital City in Shirlington?

Arlingtonrider
12-18-2013, 05:34 AM
Sure! The Freezing Saddles kickoff is Jan. 2nd at Capitol City Brewing Company in Shirlington ~ happy hour starts at 5 pm, with kickoff/Jan 1 winner announcement/etc. at 6 pm. It looks likely that we'll be able to get a room to ourselves. Parking is easy for both bikes and cars.

Cap City's four core beers will be available for $2.50/pint. Several great appetizers will be half price until 7 p.m. (Added later - our group is getting pretty large. If you can, please bring some small bills or plan to pay by credit card to help minimize change-making for our servers who will be running individual charges. Cap City is very generous to us and we like to show appreciation.)

All are welcome, including friends, family, 2013 Freezing Saddles alumni and other forum folks. Don't be concerned if you don't know anyone yet. We'll have nametags (real names and forum names) and you'll make lots of new friends. Teams will be announced. A winner for the first day of the competition will be declared. The kick off will be fun and you should be there!

I'll post more details closer to the event and may ask for a tentative count of those planning to come. (You can let me know now if you want to - I'll be asking again later for those who haven't already responded.)

Shirlington car and bike parking map: 4310 Capitol City Brewing Co. is on Campbell Ave. at the corner with S. Quincy Street and nearest Garage #3. Parking is free in most Shirlington lots after 5 p.m. In addition to the U-racks shown on the map, there are several other things one can lock a bike to.

Mikey
12-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Mikey + Mrs Mikey + 3 Mikey Minion

Toonces
12-18-2013, 12:20 PM
I will be there!

scorchedearth
12-19-2013, 06:52 AM
I signed up for this year's competition. Being at a new job much closer to home and easier to access via bike, I can contribute. The happy hour, I should be able to attend as well. See you on the roads.

dkel
12-19-2013, 07:20 PM
I'll definitely be there for the happy hour: I'm dying to meet all you kooky people in person. ;)

KLizotte
12-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I'll definitely be there for the happy hour: I'm dying to meet all you kooky people in person. ;)

We're a cult. We use the happy hours to recruit new members. Freezing Saddles is an initiation ritual.

You have been warned.

dkel
12-19-2013, 08:55 PM
We're a cult. We use the happy hours to recruit new members. Freezing Saddles is an initiation ritual.

You have been warned.

Eh. Nothing here surprises me anymore.

(LOVE this forum!!)

PotomacCyclist
12-20-2013, 05:40 AM
I might be there, although I don't think I'm signing up for the contest. I probably won't ride consistently enough. (I must also admit to infidelity this winter, in the form of more swimming, more running again and strength training. Plus many of my winter bike workouts will probably be indoors, which wouldn't count for this contest.) I may show up for the occasional outdoor ride, but not on a regular basis.

rcannon100
12-20-2013, 08:18 AM
although I don't think I'm signing up for the contest. I probably won't ride consistently enough.

Perfect meat for the Slacker team! Sign up by clicking the first post in the Slacker thread!

dkel
12-20-2013, 09:06 AM
I must also admit to infidelity this winter, in the form of more swimming[...]. Plus many of my winter bike workouts will probably be indoors, which wouldn't count for this contest.

I know indoor rides are verboten for Freezing Saddles, but I, for one, would be willing to make an exception for any rides done IN the pool. Talk about rolling resistance!

scorchedearth
12-20-2013, 10:13 AM

You have been warned.

I like cults. Especially ones that are bicycle related.

consularrider
12-20-2013, 10:30 AM
I know indoor rides are verboten for Freezing Saddles, but I, for one, would be willing to make an exception for any rides done IN the pool. Talk about rolling resistance!
I know of at least one Olympic sized pool in southern Indiana where you could probably ride laps and be able to keep your head and shoulders out water the whole time. Probably best with a belt drive single speed. It used to have a bubble over it, so would that mean it was an indoor ride? I'll have to check and see next week.

PotomacCyclist
12-20-2013, 02:58 PM

Like this?

PotomacCyclist
12-20-2013, 03:00 PM

But I might stick with spin bikes:

Or the occasional outdoor ride, as I mentioned:

[All pictures courtesy of... other people.]

PotomacCyclist
12-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Apparently there is an underwater bike race:

http://padoflorida.snappages.com/2013-scuba-olympics

dkel
12-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Now that underwater cycling seems such a known quantity, I suggest that any underwater cycling in BAFS has to be done outside. It's really the only option in keeping with the spirit of BAFS. Question is: is it even possible to record Strava data underwater??

PotomacCyclist
12-20-2013, 07:17 PM
GPS doesn't work underwater. Triathletes have discovered this when trying to use their Garmins on open water swims. Unless you attach the GPS to the top of your helmet or swim cap and keep your head out of the water.

Mikey
12-21-2013, 06:19 AM
GPS doesn't work underwater. Triathletes have discovered this when trying to use their Garmins on open water swims. Unless you attach the GPS to the top of your helmet or swim cap and keep your head out of the water.

As a former submariner I can attest to this. GPS does not work under water. Good luck carrying a ring-laser gyro inertial navigation system on your back. They're heavy.

Steve O
12-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Can I be on her team?

Arlingtonrider
12-21-2013, 11:45 AM
You might want to get out there and ride for the "most mileage ridden on Jan. 1" award. I'm not saying why. :rolleyes:

You have to be on a team and at the happy hour to receive it though!

Fast Friendly Guy
12-21-2013, 02:18 PM
You have to be on a team and at the happy hour to receive it though!

But wait....we won't know our teams until Jan 2!

Arlingtonrider
12-21-2013, 03:07 PM
But wait....we won't know our teams until Jan 2!.

You'll be on a team if you registered - you just won't know which one until the happy hour. ;-)

Arlingtonrider
12-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Time to start a tentative head count for the Jan. 2 happy hour!

Here is the list of people who "I think" are coming so far: KLizotte, dkel, KayakCindi, EJWillis, FastFriendlyGuy + Karen B, Consularrider, JasonB, RCannon100, SteveO, Vicegrip, Hozn, DismalScientist, DGM, ShawnoftheDread+3, Potomaccyclist, me. Added after postings below: MattAune+1, alexbikecommute+1?, dbb, DCAKen, scorchedearth, Rod Smith, Mikey+4, Rule No. 10, Summerdrummer, Sethpo, rolo, Andrew Mitry, Brent, Greg Bain, dasgeh +3, Phatboing?, dcv? . . .(44+3?)

If your name isn't on this list yet, please let me know (if you can) if you plan to join us. If you are on this list and won't be able make it, please let me know as well. All forum members, FS alumni, friends, family etc. are welcome, even up to the last minute, but it's helpful if you can let me know by Jan 1.

Also, I updated the post just above this one (#65) and post #44 of this thread, which has most of the happy hour info. Post #44 now includes a Shirlington bike and car parking map. (Parking is free in almost all of the Shirlington garages after 5 p.m.)

Happy holidays, everyone!

KelOnWheels
12-23-2013, 10:17 AM
I'll be there! Probably around 6:30 :)

MattAune
12-23-2013, 01:15 PM
You forgot me +1.

AlexBikeCommute
12-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I'll be there... possibly with a +1. :)

cvcalhoun
12-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Alas, I cannot go to happy hour in Shirlington on January 2! I have a preexisting commitment to a rehearsal for The Vagina Monologues, coming to Greenbelt Arts Center January 24 to February 8 (http://greenbeltartscenter.org/). Will there be some other way for me to get notified of which team I'm on?

Raymo853
12-24-2013, 04:01 AM
I going to join later today and will see you Jan 02. I also will send out info about a Jan 01 MTB/Cross ride I organizing and leading at Fort DuPont in Anacostia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

hozn
12-24-2013, 06:21 AM
I plan to be there on the 2nd too -- sorry for late RSVP. Probably on the early side, though may be closer to 6 if I end up being the one to bring my son home first.

Arlingtonrider
12-24-2013, 07:58 AM
No worries about late rsvps - I just need to have an expected head count by Jan 1. While rsvps in advance are very helpful and much appreciated, if someone finds out at the last minute that they can join us, please just come!

dbb
12-24-2013, 08:34 AM
I'll be there

guga31bb
12-24-2013, 09:25 AM
I'll be out of town on the 2nd =(

KayakCyndi
12-24-2013, 09:32 AM
I'll be there and will looking for a convoy back out toward Falls Church post happy hour if anyone is interested.

DCAKen
12-24-2013, 09:52 AM
I should be there, enjoying the camaraderie (and the bonus points for cycling to Shirlington)

scorchedearth
12-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I'll be there.

Vicegrip
12-24-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll be there and will looking for a convoy back out toward Falls Church post happy hour if anyone is interested.

We can both get one eyed and put our heads together. I am near west falls metro and will be glad to accompany.

Fast Friendly Guy
12-25-2013, 05:18 AM
No worries about late rsvps - I just need to have an expected head count by Jan 1. While rsvps in advance are very helpful and much appreciated, if someone finds out at the last minute that they can join us, please just come!

Kathy, everyone: Greetings from Richmond! I think you know I'm coming, but just in case, I'm confirming

Rod Smith
12-25-2013, 07:16 AM
I'm planning on attending. Thanks Kathy for putting this together.

dkel
12-25-2013, 07:43 AM

I'll tag along, too. Is it a no drop convoy? :p

KayakCyndi
12-25-2013, 07:52 AM
I'll tag along, too. Is it a no drop convoy? :p

After happy hour and in the dark? Definitely a no drop convoy!

dcv
12-25-2013, 08:15 AM
After happy hour and in the dark? Definitely a no drop convoy!

No cat 6 racing?

Mikey
12-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Mikey + 4

ShawnoftheDread
12-25-2013, 10:57 AM
No cat 6 racing?

Not against you.

Jason B
12-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Kathy, just to give you a head count, my two slacker workmates, Rule #10 and Summerdrummer, and I will be there. They most likely will be driving over in an SUV.

consularrider
12-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Kathy, just to give you a head count, my two slacker workmates, Rule #10 and Summerdrummer, and I will be there. They most likely will be driving over in an SUV.
Then they are definitely slackers.

Fast Friendly Guy
12-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Kathy, everyone: Greetings from Richmond! I think you know I'm coming, but just in case, I'm confirming

Forgot to say Karen B will be there, too!

creadinger
12-26-2013, 07:51 AM
When will the festivities begin? I can probably make, it but we'll likely have guests and I don't want to be away for too long. I'd like to learn who my team is though, and possibly meet some of them if they're there.

Arlingtonrider
12-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Happiness starts at 5 p.m. Team members will be able to find each other via the nametags. Announcement of the Jan 1 winner will likely be around 6 p.m. (See posts #44 (block 5) and #66 (block 7) of this thread for the basic happy hour info and who is coming.). It would be great to see you!

ejwillis62
12-26-2013, 09:53 AM
how can i make sure i am signed up? i think i did but I could have been just thinking about doing it?
LIZ W.

Arlingtonrider
12-26-2013, 09:59 AM
You can check post #66 of this thread (in block 7) if you want to see if you're on the list for the happy hour. RCannon100 is handling registrations for the competition.

sethpo
12-26-2013, 10:07 AM
I'll be there...

Phatboing
12-30-2013, 11:46 AM
I intend to make a serious, honest attempt to be there. The ride from work to the venue goes past home, so I may give in to the temptation to sit in my pyjamas and dream.

KelOnWheels
12-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Well now I WON'T be there, because I have to work til 7 PM :(

americancyclo
12-30-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm going to have to sit this one out too, won't be available until after 7pm. have a beer for me and someone let me know my team!

rolo
12-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Sorry for the late response: I plan on being there on the 2nd!

cyclingfool
12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
I hadn't been following this thread too closely because I knew I wasn't going to be able to do a happy hour... and now I glance at it and realize I was supposed to RSVP either way. D'oh!

So, my apologies for the late response, but I, too, will not be able to attend. Hope everyone has fun, and I'm excited to find out who else is on my team! :D

Arlingtonrider
12-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks, all, for keeping me posted on the happy hour!

PeteD
12-31-2013, 12:40 PM
It's now more concrete; I won't be able to make it (told ya). One good thing health wise with my mother-in-law was cancelled out by a setback by my grandfather, so I'll be riding slug rides here in Rehoboth Beach. If *ANYONE* wants to come for some coffee, please let me know. :)

--Pete

Arlingtonrider
12-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Pete. Sorry to hear about that and I hope everyone will be better soon.

ShawnoftheDread
12-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Kathy, it looks like I'll be a +3 now.

guga31bb
12-31-2013, 03:41 PM
1800 miles this year -- first full year of commuting by bike (not counting college campuses). In May we moved to about 3x as far away so mileage will increase due to that alone. Maybe I'll hit 3k?

Andrew Mitry
12-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Looks like I will be able to make it, very excited to meet you all! Happy New Year!

elwbikes
01-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi,
won't be able to make it. Will teams be posted in the forum? Thanks!

Riley Casey
01-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Having stuck my foot in the door to attend I'm doubly chagrined to not be able to attend. Other fires to put out on Friday as it turns out. I'll be thinking of all the freezing saddles clan on Tuesday morning when the forecast HIGH is 20 degrees!

Arlingtonrider
01-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi,
won't be able to make it. Will teams be posted in the forum? Thanks!

I think that teams will be posted on the forum sometime after the happy hour. Maybe the following day?

TwoWheelsDC
01-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Ugh, not looking like I'm going to have time for this now. My wife and I are having to make an unexpected trip to Connecticut on Friday afternoon, and tomorrow we have to pack and all that jazz :(

GB
01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Is the dress code for tomorrow bike casual or will people be dressing up for the occasion?

Arlingtonrider
01-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Is the dress code for tomorrow bike casual or will people be dressing up for the occasion?

Definitely casual. This is a place where cyclists (even soggy ones) are always welcome.

KayakCyndi
01-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Definitely casual. This is a place where cyclists are always welcome.

And from the looks of tomorrow's forecast I hope they will welcome soggy cyclists!

Just put the cross wheels back on the Viaje and we'll see of the studded ogre gets to play on Friday.

oldbikechick
01-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Sorry to miss this and the chance to meet my other slacker team members. I have family in town and need to entertain them. Hope to see everyone another time. Have fun!

Brent
01-02-2014, 11:41 AM
I'll be there!

Arlingtonrider
01-02-2014, 12:50 PM
A heads up about the Happy Hour -

Cap City is a little short staffed tonight and may have only two servers for our large group of 40+. (Thursdays are busy for them and they're handling another group as well - ours will be in the private room.) It would be very helpful if you can plan to pay by credit card or bring some some smaller bills so they won't have to make change. Our servers will be working very hard to give us the best possible service, but please be patient with them and show your appreciation when you settle your bill. :). Thanks!

Raymo853
01-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Ugh, I am obviously a little ill and won't be making it tonight. Just need to go home to sleep.

jrenaut
01-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Can't make it tonight - one last date night with the wife before the kids come back in town and ruin everythi... I mean, until I get to see my wonderful children again.

dasgeh
01-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Happiness starts at 5 p.m. Team members will be able to find each other via the nametags. Announcement of the Jan 1 winner will likely be around 6 p.m. (See posts #44 (block 5) and #66 (block 7) of this thread for the basic happy hour info and who is coming.). It would be great to see you!

Just in case anyone else was looking for this...

Subby
01-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Late notice but I am going to be there. :)

rcannon100
01-02-2014, 03:03 PM
The winning answer to "Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything:" will be announced.

eminva
01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Late notice but I am going to be there. :)

Ugh! Now I am sorry to miss it. But I don't have studded tires today and the reports out of Vienna already have me freaked out.

One day we will meet in person.

Liz

cyclingfool
01-02-2014, 03:12 PM
The winning answer to "Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything:" will be announced.

Surely nobody missed that one!

PS-Don't forget your towels everyone.

PPS-Do you think there's an intergalactic MUP next to the intergalactic highway that Earth was destroyed to build.

Arlingtonrider
01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
If there are any other last minute people out there, please let me know that you are coming if you can --

Thanks Subby, and hope to see you soon, Liz!

dasgeh
01-02-2014, 03:20 PM
I will be there with the kidical family (though Kathy knows this) ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

rcannon100
01-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Surely nobody missed that one!

The winning answer is not 42. Much much too predictable.

KayakCyndi
01-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Leaving Dupont in about 15 minutes. Taking 14th to MVT, to 4 mile run if anyone wants to meet up.

See you there and have a hot toddy waiting please!

jrenaut
01-02-2014, 04:54 PM
The winning answer is not 42. Much much too predictable.
Yeah, the correct answer often is predictable.

hozn
01-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Some extreme rule #9 folks came to happy hour! (My commute home was a milder version and I drove to happy hour.)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/3egateny.jpg

KayakCyndi
01-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Consularider leading the convoy home.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/8e3aqyru.jpg

Snow is fun!

consularrider
01-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Consularider leading the convoy home.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/8e3aqyru.jpg

Snow is fun!
Let's do it again! :D :D :D

KayakCyndi
01-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Let's do it again! :D :D :D

That was such fun! Is it wrong that the first thing I did upon arriving home was gently towel off the bike and bring it indoors so as to not refreeze before tomorrow's ride?

Subby
01-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Almost lost our team captain on day two - consularrider just missed getting plowed by a car as we were crossing George Mason on 4MR. He handled it like a pro!

Huge thanks to Arlingtonrider and rcannon for a fun happy hour. It was really great to get a chance to meet so many nice folks. Great way to kick off the winter season.

rcannon100
01-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Thank you Kathy!!!!

http://dmv.barstoolsports.com/files/2013/11/o-SRIRACHA-facebook.jpg

ShawnoftheDread
01-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Almost lost our team captain on day two - consularrider just missed getting plowed by a car as we were crossing George Mason on 4MR. He handled it like a pro!

I don't know anything about that and deny any involvement.

consularrider
01-02-2014, 08:53 PM

Huge thanks to Arlingtonrider and rcannon for a fun happy hour. It was really great to get a chance to meet so many nice folks. Great way to kick off the winter season.
Actually the plow tried to get me on Columbia St in Falls Church just after KayakCyndi turned off. :mad:

Arlingtonrider
01-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Thank you Kathy!!!!

http://dmv.barstoolsports.com/files/2013/11/o-SRIRACHA-facebook.jpg

LOL - Yes, it is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything! ;) Thanks to everyone for coming and making this evening such a great get-together!

Arlingtonrider
01-04-2014, 08:39 AM
One more post on the Jan 2 happy hour - I just wanted to give a shout out of thanks to ShawnoftheDread for picking up and bringing some reflective forum tags and other Bikearlington items to hand out, to RCannon100 for the awesome awards for Secrets of the Universe answers, and, once more, to everyone who came and made it such a fun get-together. I think we had appx. 45 people despite the snowy weather. It was great to see all the family members and others who came along too.

Teams 7 and 9 should get special recognition for having the most team members there (even though people didn't know they were on the teams until after they arrived). Love the team photo Team 7 posted! I think about a dozen people arrived by bike, including several who rode long distances in the snow. And for those who might have missed seeing who won the award for the most Jan. 1 miles, please check the prizes thread and see what Vicegrip and others accomplished on that day!

KLizotte
01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Many belated thank you's to Rcannon, hozn, jrenaut, and Kathy for getting FS off the ground running, err, cycling. If I missed mentioning any of the programmers I greatly apologize; Alzheimer's. It was wonderful meeting old and new friends.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/05/9e4etu6a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/05/e4yqu9em.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/05/ejugejyg.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/05/ygu2avuv.jpg