PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Saddles 2014 Prizes

GB
12-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Let's make this the thread for prizes, that way it will be easy to see who has volunteered for what prizes, and people can easily look to see what prizes are out there.

I'll start by volunteering a prize for 11th most miles ridden. This prize will be an unhealthy amount of alcohol. It should be enough to motivate the person with the 12th most miles to pick it up, and the person with the 10th most miles to pray that #11 becomes #10 in an effort to stave off #12.

If you'd like to make a contribution to this prize that would be great, but this what it'll be to start:

24 bottles of beers (assorted but all of the highest quality)
3 bottles of wine
1 bottle of liquor

I will also endeavor to create a trophy, but this is not my wheelhouse, so don't expect too much.

eminva
12-06-2013, 10:45 AM
D'oh! I was #11 last year. It's just as well, it would take me the rest of my life to drink that much (not much of a drinker, I'm afraid).

Seriously, a good idea for a thread. I'm always up for contributing prizes; let me think.

Liz

consularrider
12-06-2013, 10:55 AM
D'oh! I was #11 last year. It's just as well, it would take me the rest of my life to drink that much (not much of a drinker, I'm afraid).

Seriously, a good idea for a thread. I'm always up for contributing prizes; let me think.

Liz
You could sponsor a party starter package with GregBain's 11th place finish prise. :D

Mikey
12-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Rod may be the only contestant who could carry the #11 prize home.

dasgeh
12-06-2013, 11:11 AM
rod may be the only contestant who could carry the #11 prize home.

hey!

creadinger
12-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Rod may be the only contestant who could carry the #11 prize home.

Why carry it when you could drink it first? :p

I could volunteer for a pointless prize, but I don't know enough about how well the data are parsed or distributed etc to pick a statistic worth awarding... for example, an award for the last person to ride the distance across Alberta wins a mounted talking fish. Is that a figure that contestants will know day to day, or would it only be revealed at the end? Where will current mileage and points be tracked? Strava, or the other thing the developers are working on?

Jason B
12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
This is my first time for Freezing Saddles, so I don't know if this the kind of prize or category you are thinking of,,,,, but if elevation is recorded, I assume it is for it is Strava, I would like to throw this out there as a possible prize for total elevation. It could be added to other prizes that are already given to this category
4226 4227
BTW, this is terribly rare, only 42 in existence and this would be the only one found outside its natural habitat. It is size large only (red dots are not included)

p.s., cool Chucks not included

Steve O
12-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Hi,
I will take on the role as Czar of Pointless Prizes for Best Ride Titles. Same as last year.
If I'm motivated, I will make certificates again and award a few pointless prizes at the happy hour.

Bribes and pandering are encouraged.

KayakCyndi
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I'll be passing my crown to the next King or Queen of the world. To win it travel the world and bike on as many continents as possible. If there is a tie for continents I'll let the countries be the deciding factor. Still a tie, then who has the most K/QOMS?

Oh, and I've just booked my annual Germany tradeshow trip for Jan 7 - 15 (apologies to my future Freezing Saddles teammates). I will ride while there so to win this you'll need at least three continents. I imagine riding in South America would be lovely during Freezing Saddles ....

Mikey
12-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi,
I will take on the role as Czar of Pointless Prizes for Best Ride Titles. Same as last year.
If I'm motivated, I will make certificates again and award a few pointless prizes at the happy hour.

Bribes and pandering are encouraged.

Wow, now I have to title all of my rides "Steve O Rocks - Daily Commute. . ."

consularrider
12-12-2013, 11:32 AM
...I imagine riding in South America would be lovely during Freezing Saddles ....
I'm hoping for some saddle time in the Caribbean! ;)

Steve O
12-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Wow, now I have to title all of my rides "Steve O Rocks - Daily Commute. . ."

Looks like we already have a winner!

Arlingtonrider
12-13-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm announcing a prize for the most mileage ridden on the first day - Jan. 1, 2014 - by any participant who shows up at the Freezing Saddles start-up happy hour (Jan 2) and is a member of a BAFS team. The prize will be awarded at the happy hour and might or might not include sand, lead or alcohol. :)

Team announcements will also be made at the happy hour. You won't know which team you're riding for on Jan. 1, but your points for the day will count for your team!

consularrider
12-13-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm announcing a prize for the most mileage ridden on the first day - Jan. 1, 2014 - by any participant who shows up at the Freezing Saddles start-up happy hour (Jan 2 or 9, TBD) and is a member of a BAFS team. The prize will be awarded at the happy hour and might or might not include sand, lead or alcohol. :)
Don't forget the annual Hains Point loops on January 1 - good opportunity for a century ride (if you're not too bored from having just done it at Megabeth's December 22 event (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6213-Hains-Point-100-December-22-2013!&p=71153#post71153)).

Justin Antos
12-14-2013, 04:09 PM
I'll take responsibility for the "Liar Liar Pants on Fire" prize for the biggest sandbagger - person who surpasses their "normal" handicap by the biggest margin. (Maybe Dismal will join me?)

DismalScientist
12-14-2013, 05:22 PM
I plan to be competing for this one. Most of my potential competitors appear to have more pressing concerns this year.:rolleyes:

Megabeth
12-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Don't forget the annual Hains Point loops on January 1 - good opportunity for a century ride (if you're not too bored from having just done it at Megabeth's December 22 event (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6213-Hains-Point-100-December-22-2013!&p=71153#post71153)).

Anyone doing the Hains Point 100 ride on the 22nd will not be bored. Trust me. :)

We have 200 packets of Peanut Butter and Company chocolate peanut butter to give out...seriously.

ShawnoftheDread
12-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Anyone doing the Hains Point 100 ride on the 22nd will not be bored. Trust me. :)

We have 200 packets of Peanut Butter and Company chocolate peanut butter to give out...seriously.

Will it be anything like this?
http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xchusz_iggy-and-the-stooges-live-at-cincin_music

Dickie
12-19-2013, 11:54 AM
During the National Bike Challenge I made it a goal to score points every day. Since I am not competing in Freezing Saddles I am offering prizes for those of you that ride (and get points) everyday as well. I am going to custom manufacture something specific this year. The maximum number of awards I will manufacture is 10, so if we have a situation where a play-off becomes necessary to determine the eventual 10 winners, riders will be ranked by those with the least amount of sleaze rides first (anything less than 3 miles).

Shine on you crazy diamonds... and stay warm

PS. I might need suggestions or help on how to track these stats.

ShawnoftheDread
12-19-2013, 12:35 PM
since i am not competing in freezing saddles...

booo!!!

consularrider
12-19-2013, 12:52 PM
During the National Bike Challenge I made it a goal to score points every day. Since I am not competing in Freezing Saddles I am offering prizes for those of you that ride (and get points) everyday as well. I am going to custom manufacture something specific this year. The maximum number of awards I will manufacture is 10, so if we have a situation where a play-off becomes necessary to determine the eventual 10 winners, riders will be ranked by those with the least amount of sleaze rides first (anything less than 3 miles).

Shine on you crazy diamonds... and stay warm

I forget whether we had 11 or 14 "ride every day" winners last year.

Dickie
12-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Wow, that's a ton more than the NBC, which was only 1. Good to know, thanks Chris.

consularrider
12-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Wow, that's a ton more than the NBC, which was only 1. Good to know, thanks Chris.
Well, the competion period was slightly less than half as long.

vvill
12-19-2013, 08:10 PM

12 according to http://www.cs.umd.edu/~ronwalf/2013/freezing-saddles/ (all finished in the top 17)

The same stat should be visible in the new site too. http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_text

Arlingtonrider
01-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Six and a half hours left for happy hour attendees to compete for the "most mileage on Jan 1 award." Don't forget to post your rides in Strava. :)

vvill
01-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Just a reminder there is a prize for most interesting/impressive "GPS art". If you want to nominate a ride (yours or someone else's), please send me a message in the forum. This will run the entire length of the competition so you can nominate at any time. If you want to keep some rides private and practice working on your masterpiece before revealing in March, that's fine :)

For inspiration, here's a Thanksgiving number:
http://www.strava.com/activities/97090517

"Bicycling Australia" (a magazine) is awarding nice prizes for Australian residents in a current competition and one of the categories is "GPS Picasso"
Here's a recent practice entry:
http://www.strava.com/activities/90925326

Justin Antos
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
More inspiration from americancyclo in last year's competition:
http://www.strava.com/activities/40853988

Arlingtonrider
01-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Mega-congratulations to Vicegrip, who won a gold nugget award last night for "Most Miles Ridden on Jan. 1, 2014" with a whopping 140 miles!!! (I'm not sure, but that might be higher than the highest one-day mileage by anyone on any day during all of Freezing Saddles 2013.)

He had a lot of competition for the award too - with Chris Randall riding 104.5 miles, Chris Shue at 98.8, Rod Smith at 96.3, Seth Pollack at 89.6, and several others with very impressive mileage for the day.

Well done, Vicegrip!

(I meant to post this this morning, but have been busy slacking.)

Vicegrip
01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Mega-congratulations to Vicegrip, who won a gold nugget award last night for "Most Miles Ridden on Jan. 1, 2014" with a whopping 140 miles!!! (I'm not sure, but that might be higher than the highest one-day mileage by anyone on any day during all of Freezing Saddles 2013.)

He had a lot of competition for the award too - with Chris Randall riding 104.5 miles, Chris Shue at 98.8, Rod Smith at 96.3, Seth Pollack at 89.6, and several others with very impressive mileage for the day.

Well done, Vicegrip!

(I meant to post this this morning, but have been busy slacking.)Thanks for the cool award and all the fine work you have done for FSII. I will carry the trophy in my saddle bag all winter! Michele says Hi!

Was good to put faces to the names and avatars. (Mine was taken just before I shaved for the day)

Steve O
01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
If someone can help me with the data, I will add another prize.

Special recognition for anyone who rode while the temp was single digits. So essentially between about midnight last night and 10am this morning. If someone is able to compile a list, I can award each of them an ice cube at the pointless prizes happy hour.

consularrider
01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey, we'll get to do it again tomorrow morning. Anyone for coffee at HDCC at Best Buns?

Steve O
01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Hey, we'll get to do it again tomorrow morning.

Actually, it looks like the low tomorrow will not drop below 10, so the single-digit recognition will just be for Jan. 7, midnight to 10am (unless there's another arctic blast later this winter)

That's not to say tomorrowmorning will not also be cold--just not cold enough to win a pointless recognition.

consularrider
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Bummer, they've upped the predicted overnight low to just over the single digits. :(

Fast Friendly Guy
01-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Hey, we'll get to do it again tomorrow morning. Anyone for coffee at HDCC at Best Buns?

Sure, count me in! I'll have to get there close to 7, because I have work meetings at 9:30 and I still have to finish my ride!

Terpfan
01-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Contacted a few LBSs in DC/VA that I've used before suggesting they give some sort of prize or coupon for the winners. Can't hurt to ask.

Arlingtonrider
01-07-2014, 04:27 PM

I'll try to make it. What time do you think you'll be there?

consularrider
01-07-2014, 04:32 PM
I will shoot for 7 am, and expect to be there by 7:10. Gives me enough time to finish a tall coffee and bacon cheddar scone to warm up and still head out by 7:30ish.

Phatboing
01-07-2014, 09:01 PM
If someone can help me with the data, I will add another prize.

Special recognition for anyone who rode while the temp was single digits. So essentially between about midnight last night and 10am this morning. If someone is able to compile a list, I can award each of them an ice cube at the pointless prizes happy hour.

Will we get our cubes dropped into drinks with pomp and appropriate ceremony?

Rob_O
01-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Proposing two new prizes:

1) Team Billy Goat. Team that climbs the most and the metric would be Elevation Gain (feet) / Distance traveled (miles).

2) Team Turtle. Team with lowest average speed (mph).

Prizes to be determined. I assume this data could be generated pretty easily, yes?

vvill
01-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Proposing two new prizes:

1) Team Billy Goat. Team that climbs the most and the metric would be Elevation Gain (feet) / Distance traveled (miles).

2) Team Turtle. Team with lowest average speed (mph).

Prizes to be determined. I assume this data could be generated pretty easily, yes?

Yeah, should be easy to find. Team Turtle is already visible from the menu, and probably a shoe-in (Slowly but surely). You could always do 3rd slowest or 4th slowest if you prefer - something like that would be harder to aim for / achieve.

Here's another recent Strava GPS art piece I found for anyone interested:
http://www.strava.com/activities/105356788

creadinger
01-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Here's another recent Strava GPS art piece I found for anyone interested:
http://www.strava.com/activities/105356788

Has the strava art challenge been officially released yet? I developed something that I think is pretty good last week. I just need a day off to ride it. Hopefully next weekend! I found a piece of canvas... I mean Alexandria, that I can draw... I mean ride on.

Also, wow, that guy had a large area of neatly arranged streets. I don't think we have anything quite that nice, that big in this region. The streets here are so messy. Even in DC where there is some order, there are the angled spoke streets that go off everywhere.

Arlingtonrider
01-13-2014, 07:49 PM
I just came across the wonderful award i won last year for "most laps at Hains Point" and it reminded me that I would like to take responsibility for bestowing the award to this year's winner of that title. Carry on.

vvill
01-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Has the strava art challenge been officially released yet? I developed something that I think is pretty good last week. I just need a day off to ride it. Hopefully next weekend! I found a piece of canvas... I mean Alexandria, that I can draw... I mean ride on.

Also, wow, that guy had a large area of neatly arranged streets. I don't think we have anything quite that nice, that big in this region. The streets here are so messy. Even in DC where there is some order, there are the angled spoke streets that go off everywhere.

You mean this? http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6297-Freezing-Saddles-2014-Prizes&p=73197#post73197 :)

And yeah, neatly arranged streets are nice for that but also kind of like plotting dots on graph paper. It's more inventive (I think) to combine different shaped roads into something unique!

UnknownCyclist
01-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Pending the current Bikinetic forensic exam of consularrider's hybrid, perhaps it is appropriate to introduce the Tonya Harding award for most egregious effort to curtail competitive activities of a rival.

consularrider
01-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Pending the current Bikinetic forensic exam of consularrider's hybrid, perhaps it is appropriate to introduce the Tonya Harding award for most egregious effort to curtail competitive activities of a rival.
They'd have had to take the broken handlebars and bash me in the knee. Luckily I have two other bikes, so this was only a minor morning delay. ;)

Steve O
01-19-2014, 11:25 PM
It's gonna be tough to top this:

http://app.strava.com/activities/107285677

Fast Friendly Guy
01-20-2014, 05:51 AM
It's gonna be tough to top this:

http://app.strava.com/activities/107285677

Why thank you, Steve. I can't say what's the matter, but I'm feeling a little fishy today.

kwarkentien
01-21-2014, 01:20 PM
They'd have had to take the broken handlebars and bash me in the knee. Luckily I have two other bikes, so this was only a minor morning delay. ;)

So should I even ask what happened to your hybrid, consularrider?

PotomacCyclist
01-21-2014, 01:31 PM
I would recommend that people not mimic the former route of the Marine Corps Marathon for GPS art. Particularly the section along the Mall and around the Capitol Reflecting Pool. Because, uh, well...

http://www.marinemarathon.com/Assets/Maps/2012+MCM+Map+-+reduced.pdf

cvcalhoun
01-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Well, that could be a unicorn. If you had an unusually pure mind...

I would recommend that people not mimic the former route of the Marine Corps Marathon for GPS art. Particularly the section along the Mall and around the Capitol Reflecting Pool. Because, uh, well...

http://www.marinemarathon.com/Assets/Maps/2012+MCM+Map+-+reduced.pdf

Rob_O
01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
I have decided to scrap the Team Turtle prize due to major conflict of interest.
Anyway, here is the current leader board for the Team Billy Goat Prize. Impressive riding by the Rusty Studs, currently sitting in 8th place in the team points race. Keep it up!

Team Elev. Gain per Mile (feet per mile)
Rusty Studs 45.89
Team 9 from Outer Space 45.07
Team Slackers 43.21
Bollard Busters 38.36
Action News Team One 38.19
Scoundrels and Nerf Herders 34.45
Lucky 7 Samurai Sandbags 34.35
Team Bacon - Is Sizzling 33.73
Sloppy Seconds 29.55
Lentement mais Surement 23.46

Rob_O
02-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Another update for the Team Billy Goat Prize. Keep finding those hills because you don't wanna miss out on the spectacular prize to be awarded to the winning team.

Team
Elevation Gain

Team 9 from Outer Space

Rusty Studs

Team Slackers

Bollard Busters

Action News Team One

Lucky 7 Samurai Sandbags

Team Bacon - Is Sizzling

Sloppy Seconds

Scoundrels and Nerf Herders

Lentement mais Surement

DismalScientist
02-24-2014, 03:31 PM
This information may be only measuring the percentage of miles that are uploaded manually, whether due to GPS failures or privacy concerns.

Steve O
02-24-2014, 04:30 PM
The elevation gain numbers may be very inaccurate. I always correct my elevation in Strava rather than rely on the Garmin to get it right. Particularly if there's a large gap in your ride (say, you record both 1/2s of your commute as a single ride), then the elevation gain may be off by a lot.

I happened to notice this discrepancy one day when SClaeys and I both rode the Tri360 ride together. His altitude gain was much greater than mine even though we rode the same ride (I even added a few more miles at the end, which should have increased my altitude gain over his)

Here's his ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/102380562 - 3,094 feet = 122 feet per mile
And mine: http://www.strava.com/activities/102383814 - 2,195 feet = 75 feet per mile

That's a really big difference. So it's hard to know if these rankings are accurate or not. There's also the problem with manual entry rides, too (although I wonder if those could be removed from the data?).

Anyway, here is the current leader board for the Team Billy Goat Prize. Impressive riding by the Rusty Studs, currently sitting in 8th place in the team points race. Keep it up!

Team Elev. Gain per Mile (feet per mile)
Rusty Studs 45.89
Team 9 from Outer Space 45.07
Team Slackers 43.21
Bollard Busters 38.36
Action News Team One 38.19
Scoundrels and Nerf Herders 34.45
Lucky 7 Samurai Sandbags 34.35
Team Bacon - Is Sizzling 33.73
Sloppy Seconds 29.55
Lentement mais Surement 23.46

cyclingfool
02-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Similarly, my commute route, which is admittedly rather flat, is calculated at 0 feet elevation gain going to work and as around 50 feet going home, even though the elevation of those end points is pretty similar. My GPS is an eTrex 20, no barometric altimeter, so Strava calculates the elevation automatically. Same commute on my phone using the Strava app is about 75 feet gain going to work and something higher coming home. I prefer to use my Garmin, so I'm getting a lot fewer feet than I could be. I went through a round of emails with Strava tech support about this w/o a fully satisfactory response other than some mumbo jumbo about how their elevation algorithms calculate. To truly have 0 feet gain over a 7.5 mile commute route seems crazy, especially when some of the segments along the route are themselves listed as having some gain, but I gave up trying to understand or caring.

I'm not a premium Strava member, so I get what I pay for (and was frankly impressed that they even took the time to give me individualized attention), which is the same approach I take to any of the BAFS contests/prizes, since I have paid 0 cents to take part. Best available data is good enough for me, even if it's inaccurate.

Steve O
02-24-2014, 04:49 PM
which is the same approach I take to any of the BAFS contests/prizes, since I have paid 0 cents to take part.

BAFS is my life!!!!

vvill
02-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Elevation accuracy with GPS logging/barometric pressure/temperature sensitivity has been talked about a lot before.

- GPS with barometric pressure derived elevation is generally more accurate than using topographic data (especially if you ride say, over the Potomac) or other such "corrected" elevations, but:
-- Temperature and changes in temperature affect pressure readings, and the Edge 500 does not compensate for this (it's very slow at responding to temperature changes anyway).
-- Elevation detection on the Edge 500 can be screwed up if the sensor doesn't have decent airflow, or at least access to the air (look at the holes underneath). I've noticed this particularly when I've ridden in a downpour and it gets wet.
-- I've read that if you turn on your GPS first and leave it outside for 10+ mins you'll get better elevation readings. I haven't tested this. I usually turn mine on 5-10 mins before anyway so I don't have to wait for "Locating satellites..."
-- I would assume if you're using "Smart Recording" as opposed to 1 second recording, you will lose granularity, so this might reduce your recorded elevation (especially if you ride fast)

Manual entries will record 0 elevation.

In the context of FS, at least everyone is subject to the same conditions. The numbers are what they are, ballpark, and everyone's devices record with the same ballpark accuracy.

cyclingfool
02-25-2014, 08:27 AM
BAFS is my life!!!!

I certainly didn't mean to detract from the central role that BAFS plays in our lives. ;) I <3 BAFS, too!!!

Rather, I was trying to point out that I pay noting to use Strava, and I didn't pay an entrance fee to take part in BAFS. So, if there are a couple unresolvable technical glitches that might impact the outcome of a sub-contest or two, I'm not gonna sweat it.

Rob_O
02-25-2014, 02:14 PM
I view those numbers kinda like figure skating scores from Olympic judges. It's not perfect but it's the best we got. Now get back out on the ice.....BUT DON'T FALL! :p

CPTJohnC
02-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Are we still taking new 'pointless prizes'? Is this thread the comprehensive compendium of what's being offered?

I have an idea for one but I certainly don't want to duplicate...

Steve O
02-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Are we still taking new 'pointless prizes'? Is this thread the comprehensive compendium of what's being offered?

I have an idea for one but I certainly don't want to duplicate...

Throw it out there!

vvill
02-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Throw it out there!

Yep. There's no rules on pointless prizes. You could even do one on the last day of the competition. Or after it, even, since they're pointless. :)

CPTJohnC
02-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Okay -- as freezing saddles is winding down, I plan to offer a prize for the person who ranks seventh lowest for the average number of miles per ride. I was planning to go with the lowest, but a) I don't want to make it too easy to target, and b) based on my quicky review of the leader-board, I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm in very strong contention for the lowest avg.

I think it is only fair to enforce a 10 ride/day minimum -that is, the winner must have at least 10 separate days in which they got points for riding- and at least one ride in each calendar month of the competition (to avoid folks who aren't 'active' participants in our lovely little challenge).

Is there someone who can assist in actually pulling the data part of this together? I am planning to offer something in the dessert world as the prize...

Terpfan
02-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Another update for the Team Billy Goat Prize. Keep finding those hills because you don't wanna miss out on the spectacular prize to be awarded to the winning team.

Team
Elevation Gain

Team 9 from Outer Space

Rusty Studs

Team Slackers

Bollard Busters

Action News Team One

Lucky 7 Samurai Sandbags

Team Bacon - Is Sizzling

Sloppy Seconds

Scoundrels and Nerf Herders

Lentement mais Surement

We must have some people that just climb hills all day on my team because I figured my roughly new 17-18 mile trip into work to include 600-625' of elevation gain on the way in and 400-420' on the way home giving me averages of 24-28ish'. Sorry team, I'm letting everyone down. Of course I just turned the GPS on at the beginning and end of my ride (ignoring our need to gain total pts for miles ridden) then I could jack my number up to like 200-250' (thanks Beacon Hill and the RCP to Calvert St then to Natl Catherdal).

Subby
02-28-2014, 04:37 PM
We must have some people that just climb hills all day on my team because I figured my roughly new 17-18 mile trip into work to include 600-625' of elevation gain on the way in and 400-420' on the way home giving me averages of 24-28ish'. Sorry team, I'm letting everyone down. Of course I just turned the GPS on at the beginning and end of my ride (ignoring our need to gain total pts for miles ridden) then I could jack my number up to like 200-250' (thanks Beacon Hill and the RCP to Calvert St then to Natl Catherdal).
We have a ton of Hains Point and WOD miles, so we are kind screwed from the get go.

jrenaut
02-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Is there someone who can assist in actually pulling the data part of this together? I am planning to offer something in the dessert world as the prize...
I don't know if hozn has a plan for doing this at the end, but either he or I should be able to get you some numbers.

Amalitza
02-28-2014, 05:46 PM
We have a ton of Hains Point and WOD miles, so we are kind screwed from the get go.

all my IHRT miles are absolutely no help here either

hozn
02-28-2014, 07:06 PM
I don't know if hozn has a plan for doing this at the end, but either he or I should be able to get you some numbers.

Yeah, 7th lowest will be a pretty straightforward report. Just PM me as a reminder, as I'm sure there will be lots of these types of requests toward the end.

CPTJohnC
03-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Yeah, 7th lowest will be a pretty straightforward report. Just PM me as a reminder, as I'm sure there will be lots of these types of requests toward the end.

Awesome! Thanks so much.

vvill
03-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Quick announcement for the Freezing Saddles Strava Art prize I am awarding:

As BikeArlington has already given out awards for the February Side Competition (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6533-Freezing-Saddles-February-Side-Competition) I am restricting the award of this prize to those who have not already won. So those who think their skills, patience or passion for Strava art doesn't match that of Fast Friendly Guy should still have a go!

Here's a couple of the entries to date
http://www.strava.com/activities/109395195
http://www.strava.com/activities/110202022

rcannon100
03-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Is someone organizing awards for volunteers? If no, I volunteer to do the volunteer award (yes, that is self-serving which means the prizes are going to be really really good).

While I will pour through reams of detailed data deciphering dedicated endeavors, I welcome nominations for your favorite volunteers with the mostest.

And speaking of volunteers, is anyone volunteering to coordinate the awards??

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/ab/c5/abc54697a9d98bd8a615930ccd089cc8.jpg?itok=iGJ0pR35

cvcalhoun
03-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Sloppy Seconds is preemptively claiming the prize for "Most Miles Ridden With a Broken Bone." It's just a pity that we didn't stop to determine whether there was such a prize before two of our team members (Subby with a broken clavicle and acl with a broken finger) began competing for it!

Rod Smith
03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
All of my miles were ridden with a broken collarbone.

Steve O
03-16-2014, 01:51 PM
All of my miles were ridden with a broken collarbone.

All of mine were ridden with a broken water bottle cage.

Greenbelt
03-16-2014, 05:05 PM
I nominate myself for the highest miles-to-IQ ratio.

Arlingtonrider
03-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Let's keep this simple.

We can all celebrate our accomplishments at the April 3 happy hour and anyone who would like to make an award for anything is welcome to do so. :)

Arlingtonrider
03-17-2014, 10:02 AM
On second thought, let's try a simpler approach this year. See edited post above.

Steve O
03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Right now that's MattAune, but he's only 10 miles behind Greenbelt. Too close to call? Can SethPo step it up, 100+ miles behind?

I'll start by volunteering a prize for 11th most miles ridden. This prize will be an unhealthy amount of alcohol. It should be enough to motivate the person with the 12th most miles to pick it up, and the person with the 10th most miles to pray that #11 becomes #10 in an effort to stave off #12.

If you'd like to make a contribution to this prize that would be great, but this what it'll be to start:

24 bottles of beers (assorted but all of the highest quality)
3 bottles of wine
1 bottle of liquor

I will also endeavor to create a trophy, but this is not my wheelhouse, so don't expect too much.

Steve O
03-17-2014, 11:49 AM
I am offering prizes for those of you who ride (and get points) everyday. I am going to custom manufacture something specific this year. The maximum number of awards I will manufacture is 10, so if we have a situation where a play-off becomes necessary to determine the eventual 10 winners, riders will be ranked by those with the least number of sleaze rides first (anything less than 3 miles).

http://freezingsaddles.com/people/ridedays (I think there's about 14-15 still in the running)
http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various (select sleaze ride chart)
You may have to adjust your definition of sleaze to less than 2 miles, so you can determine the winners yourself and not rely on Hozn.

jrenaut
03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
http://freezingsaddles.com/people/ridedays (I think there's about 14-15 still in the running)
http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various (select sleaze ride chart)
You may have to adjust your definition of sleaze to less than 2 miles, so you can determine the winners yourself and not rely on Hozn.
Since 2 miles is the "official" sleaze cutoff, and the one I've been using to remain sleaze-free, I'd agree with this.

Steve O
03-17-2014, 12:12 PM
I went through this thread and compiled the Pointless Prize ideas people have volunteered for so far. As stated before, there is no "official" list, nor official end date, so if you want to propose and offer another, you may--right up to the happy hour.

The side bets (FSSB) are not listed here. Check that thread for details.

11th most miles ridden – GB (GregBain)
King/Queen of the world – KayakCyndi
Ride titles (multiple winners) – Steve O
Single digit riders (multiple winners)– Steve O
Mileage first day (already awarded to vicegrip) –Arlington Rider
Liar,Liar Pants on Fire (sandbagger award) – Justin Antos
Every day points (10 awarded; tie-breaker least sleaze) – Dickie
GPS Art – vvill
Team Billy Goat. Team that climbs the most: Elevation Gain (feet) / Distance traveled (miles). Rob-O
Team Turtle. Team with lowest average speed (mph). - Rob-O (scrapped due to conflict of interest)
Hains Point laps – Arlington Rider
seventh lowest for the average number of miles per ride – CPTJohnC
Strava ride art: Bicycle – BikeArlington
Volunteer award – rcannon

Arlingtonrider
03-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Awesome - thanks so much Steve!

vvill
03-17-2014, 01:16 PM
GPS Art – vvill

Just a quick note, the Strava ride art: Bicycle was a sidebet and has already been awarded to Fast Friendly Guy and eminva, and those winners have graciously agreed to be ineligible for the competition-long GPS Art prize. Go ride!

eminva
03-17-2014, 03:42 PM
I went through this thread and compiled the Pointless Prize ideas people have volunteered for so far. As stated before, there is no "official" list, nor official end date, so if you want to propose and offer another, you may--right up to the happy hour.

GPS Art – vvill
Team Billy Goat. Team that climbs the most: Elevation Gain (feet) / Distance traveled (miles). Rob-O
Team Turtle. Team with lowest average speed (mph). - Rob-O (scrapped due to conflict of interest)

There is also the "Maryland Rail Trail Mixed Use Trail Pointless Prize" (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?6545-Maryland-Rail-Trail-Mixed-Use-Trail-Pointless-Prize-Contest) that I will be awarding. I guess I forgot to cross post on this thread.

Liz

Steve O
03-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the corrections:

GPS Art – vvill
Maryland Rail Trail Mixed Use Trail Pointless Prize - eminva

oldbikechick
03-17-2014, 10:23 PM
KayakCyndi - how do you figure out the King/Queen of the World prize?

Another question - would it be possible to determine who had the least variation in average ride distance? I suppose this would be the lowest deviation from the individual average ride distance, if you could leave out non-ride days. Not being a techie, I don't know if this would be easy or difficult to calculate from the data. If it's easy, then I'll give out a pointless prize for this. "Most consistent (or boring)" rider.

cvcalhoun
03-17-2014, 10:37 PM
So for that Liar, Liar Pants on Fire award, do we have a chart showing people's original handicaps? I'm thinking the others could be calculated from the existing charts, but that one would require more information.

jrenaut
03-17-2014, 10:41 PM
KayakCyndi - how do you figure out the King/Queen of the World prize?

Another question - would it be possible to determine who had the least variation in average ride distance? I suppose this would be the lowest deviation from the individual average ride distance, if you could leave out non-ride days. Not being a techie, I don't know if this would be easy or difficult to calculate from the data. If it's easy, then I'll give out a pointless prize for this. "Most consistent (or boring)" rider.
That shouldn't be too tough. If you can PM me sometime in the next week, not Wednesday, I can probably throw together a page to track this.

jrenaut
03-17-2014, 10:44 PM
So for that Liar, Liar Pants on Fire award, do we have a chart showing people's original handicaps? I'm thinking the others could be calculated from the existing charts, but that one would require more information.

I think we determined there were some privacy issues with this. RCannon has the handicap data but it's not in the database that powers the FreezingSaddles.com site. I'm happy to do the data analysis part of this but you'll have to discuss with RCannon whether we want to share the data or not.

cvcalhoun
03-17-2014, 10:51 PM
So long as someone has it, all is good. The rest is just idle curiosity on my part, combined with a vague hope that it's the one prize I might actually be in contention for. :D

I think we determined there were some privacy issues with this. RCannon has the handicap data but it's not in the database that powers the FreezingSaddles.com site. I'm happy to do the data analysis part of this but you'll have to discuss with RCannon whether we want to share the data or not.

jrenaut
03-17-2014, 11:00 PM
So long as someone has it, all is good. The rest is just idle curiosity on my part, combined with a vague hope that it's the one prize I might actually be in contention for. :D

I'm very curious myself. I dutifully put my handicap as my average for November and December 2013, and I've almost exactly doubled it for the competition.

cvcalhoun
03-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Yep, I put mine down as my actual average at the time I registered. Handicap was 50 points a week (2 rides, total of 30 miles), which means that at the end of 11 weeks (tomorrow), I should have 550 points. I actually have 1,519 points, plus whatever I earn tomorrow. Apparently, this competition achieved its goal of encouraging more riding, at least in my case!

Final figures: 1,615 actual versus 557 handicap. Not too shabby!

Rod Smith
03-18-2014, 12:20 AM
I averaged 200 per week in Nov and Dec but that was not indicative of how far I generally ride so I upped the number a little. I entered the average I rode during last year's Freezing Saddles 258/week (or 259, can't recall exactly). I'm currently above 300 so far this year. Of course, I ride at least 30/day on the job so I probably shouldn't even be in the game. The French team cheats.

Rod Smith
03-18-2014, 12:31 AM
This contest originated in the commuters forum and is largely about encouraging people to ride to work. Despite that and to cancel my unfair advantage I propose a "weekend warrior" award for the individual with the most miles ridden on the weekends. There are many Freezing Saddles competitors for whom riding to work is not feasible.

cvcalhoun
03-18-2014, 12:40 AM
My commute to work is very short indeed, as I work from home. Trying to bicycle from my bedroom to my office has proved impractical. Nevertheless, most of my riding is on weekdays. Hence the fact that with far fewer miles or hours than you, I am second only to you in miles after sunset.

I have no issue with a "weekend warriors" contest; just pointing out that it may not catch all the noncommuters.

This contest originated in the commuters forum and is largely about encouraging people to ride to work. Despite that and to cancel my unfair advantage I propose a "weekend warrior" award for the individual with the most miles ridden on the weekends. There are many Freezing Saddles competitors for whom riding to work is not feasible.

Fast Friendly Guy
03-18-2014, 05:20 AM

I'm curious about this too, but without knowing each competitor's intentions, it may be impossible to spot sandbaggers. If someone has ridden significantly more than their handicap, does this mean sandbagging or rising to the intended challenge to ride more than usual? I can't remember what I put as my handicap, but it's almost certainly my Nov/Dec average (though that was influenced upward by the Rapha Festive 500 challenge) Weren't handicaps used exclusively for balancing the teams? Still, I think it would be interesting to know what I put as my own handicap.

Rod Smith
03-18-2014, 06:58 AM
[Warning: Long post with nothing of substance in it. Do not read unless you have some time to waste.]

Good point Carol, and it reminds me of a joke I tell about SteveE, and I will keep telling it until someone laughs. He works from home but he takes the long way to work. A very early morning mixed modal commute that includes 40+ miles of bicycle riding to get from bedroom to office. Um, that was the joke. Yeah I know, if I have to tell you it's a joke... Probably not my best material. :p

If someone were to offer a pointless prize for most miles ridden, I would graciously accept it and then immediately hand it over to Steve. I'm a slacker compared to him and pretty much all of you, rolling out usually over an hour late and I almost never work a full eight hours including commute. (I do consider my commute to be part of my job as it is necessary to transport my bicycle and gear into the city. Not commuting by bicycle isn't an option for me. My rig is too big to put on a bus or a train).

Anyway, I applaud your efforts to put the miles in, and it sounds like you've benefitted from the effort. Don't think I haven't noticed you creeping up on me in hours ridden after sunset. Sorry but I'm not going to give up my place on the top of that list without a fight. :)

David, the term sandbagger is very much used tongue-in-cheek here. It's a prize for the rider who rode farthest beyond his or her expectations, rising to the challenge as you put it. I'm pretty certain no one intentionally entered a number that wasn't exactly how much they rode in Nov/Dec or a number larger than that for reasons such as mine. I very much doubt anyone entered a number less than their Nov/Dec miles, the number we were asked to submit. I cheated by entering a different number but I only cheated myself, to make the game more challenging for me and more fair to the other riders. :)

Rod Smith
03-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Does anyone else find it interesting that the two teams with the most women are the teams that will finish first and second? So proud of my "girls".

KayakCyndi
03-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Does anyone else find it interesting that the two teams with the most women are the teams that will finish first and second? So proud of my "girls".

Girl power rocks! And it probably points to the fact that many of the women who ride have a tendency to be just a little type A!

And Rod, OF COURSE, you should be in this game! You're the best captain ever. (Note I have an admittedly small small sample size, I've been lucky enough to be on his team both years:D. I'll try to rig it that way again next year too!).

dasgeh
03-18-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure the difference between a side bet and a pointless prize, but I think I meant the #kidical prize/s to be a pointless prize. :-)

vvill
03-18-2014, 11:09 AM

Yeah I noticed that - awesome. The only thing is with that random distribution, some people ended up in teams with only one woman and the rest all males.

I'm not sure the difference between a side bet and a pointless prize, but I think I meant the #kidical prize/s to be a pointless prize. :-)

Not really much difference but I think it's implied that side bets are started and finished while the rest of the competition is still running. Of course, a side bet can still involve a pointless prize.

83(b)
03-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Okay -- as freezing saddles is winding down, I plan to offer a prize for the person who ranks seventh lowest for the average number of miles per ride. I was planning to go with the lowest, but a) I don't want to make it too easy to target, and b) based on my quicky review of the leader-board, I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm in very strong contention for the lowest avg.

I think it is only fair to enforce a 10 ride/day minimum -that is, the winner must have at least 10 separate days in which they got points for riding- and at least one ride in each calendar month of the competition (to avoid folks who aren't 'active' participants in our lovely little challenge).

Oh no, Dasgeh and I appear to have tied for 7th shortest rides (http://www.freezingsaddles.com/pointless/avgdist)! Taking things out to a third decimal place just seems too competitive for this sort of thing. Besides, I don't have a current UCI license. I propose instead that, if possible, any prize be split into two separate pint glasses. Alternatively, if the prize isn't something easily divisible by unit of liquid measure, we could hold a tie-breaking track stand event or some such thing.*

*I cannot do a track stand.

jrenaut
03-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Oh no, Dasgeh and I appear to have tied for 7th shortest rides (http://www.freezingsaddles.com/pointless/avgdist)! Taking things out to a third decimal place just seems to competitive for this sort of thing. Besides, I don't have a current UCI license. I propose instead that, if possible, any prize be split into two separate pint glasses. Alternatively, if the prize isn't something easily divisible by unit of liquid measure, we could hold a tie-breaking track stand event or some such thing.*

*I cannot do a track stand.
CPTJohnC sent me a note about this and I can tell you what I told him - the sorting is done before the rounding, so it's likely that if we displayed a few more decimal places, it would show Dasgeh as definitively 6th. It is possible that you are exactly tied, but since the calculation is based on an average of averages, it would be pretty unlikely. I like your proposal, though.

I can't check it from work but plan to this evening. However, I could also refuse to tell you and make you and Dasgeh and CPTJohnC work out a tiebreaker or an equitable split.

Steve O
03-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Just like the Sloppies, we also had 44% women, but ended up in 9th. What does that mean?

Women %'s
Sloppies - 44%
Frenchies - 50%
Flood control - 10%
Cosmos - 10%
Pig meat - 20%
Journalists - 22%
Scalawags - 18%
Oxidized - 10%
Busters - 44%
Loafers - 40%

Total - 22.4% women (22 of 98)

jrenaut
03-20-2014, 04:28 PM
What does that mean?
I think it means that gender is poorly correlated with cycling ability and dedication.

Steve O
03-20-2014, 04:31 PM
. . . a joke I tell about SteveE, and I will keep telling it until someone laughs. He works from home, but he takes the long way to work.
Um, that was the joke.
... Probably not my best material.

Let's hope not. If I laugh, will you stop?

Rod Smith
03-20-2014, 06:21 PM

I changed my mind. The Weekend Warrior award will go to the woman with the most weekend mileage because Woman Weekend Warrior has more W.

oldbikechick
03-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Just like the Sloppies, we also had 44% women, but ended up in 9th. What does that mean?

Women %'s
Sloppies - 44%
Frenchies - 50%
Flood control - 10%
Cosmos - 10%
Pig meat - 20%
Journalists - 22%
Scalawags - 18%
Oxidized - 10%
Busters - 44%
Loafers - 40%

Total - 22.4% women (22 of 98)

I find it interesting that if you plot the percentages in a chart, it makes a W

Mikey
03-21-2014, 06:38 AM
I find it interesting that if you plot the percentages in a chart, it makes a W

Wonderwoman!

dasgeh
03-21-2014, 10:20 AM
CPTJohnC sent me a note about this and I can tell you what I told him - the sorting is done before the rounding, so it's likely that if we displayed a few more decimal places, it would show Dasgeh as definitively 6th. It is possible that you are exactly tied, but since the calculation is based on an average of averages, it would be pretty unlikely. I like your proposal, though.

I can't check it from work but plan to this evening. However, I could also refuse to tell you and make you and Dasgeh and CPTJohnC work out a tiebreaker or an equitable split.

I'm fine with whatever, but this is really funny.

Fast Friendly Guy
03-24-2014, 06:26 AM
Wonderwoman!

The WonderWoman Awarded to

The top FIVE women BAFS riders based on mileage

Arlingtonrider
03-24-2014, 07:41 AM
If you announce a prize, that means you're volunteering to make the award(s), right??

Fast Friendly Guy
03-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Wonderwoman!

If you announce a prize, that means you're volunteering to make the award(s), right??

Yes, it would be (is) my honor! I've already selected the to-be-coveted awards!

dave

consularrider
03-26-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm going to pony up with the Nostradamus prize. If you don't know what that is, then you didn't win.

KayakCyndi
03-26-2014, 03:38 PM
I said I would crown the King/Queen of the world award. Terms were most number of continents ridden on, or short of continents, countries ridden in. While I went to Europe this year, I didn't ride this time. So who did?

Here is what I know:

Candidates:
PeteD -- Grand Cayman (not a continent since its an Island but it clearly it is another country -- or compared to our winter another planet). (Photo and Strava evidence).
OldbikeChick -- Geneva, Switzerland. (Manual upload to Strava)

Anyone else??

Steve O
03-26-2014, 05:23 PM
sjclaeys was in SE asia somewhere.

Steve O
03-26-2014, 05:24 PM
sjclaeys was in SE asia somewhere.
Wait. I don't think he rode his bike, though. Nevermind.

Steve O
03-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Since I stupidly compiled the list of pointless prizes, and no one else has stepped forward to be the prize coordinator, I'll do it.

I will compile a new, updated list tonight and post it here. Those of you offering PPs can double-check it for accuracy. Then I'll figure out next steps.

As coordinator, I'll decide the order of awards.
Award givers - you will announce your own awards and bring whatever knick-knack or certificate or cooler of drinks you are awarding.
I am soliciting interest in a volunteer to be emcee; I'm happy to coordinate, but I don't need to hold the mike, too. If no one volunteers, then you will all be subject to my groan-inducing humor (and rugged good looks--perhaps an even trade-off?). Don't claim I didn't warn you.

Steve O
03-27-2014, 09:30 PM
We have an impressive list of Pointless Prizes to award at the happy hour. It will be like the special olympics--everyone gets a trophy!! Please read to the bottom.

If your Pointless Prize is listed correctly and you are intending to follow through on awarding it, please <like> this post. That will keep us from cluttering the thread too much. If there are corrections or amendments, please DM me.

Pointless Prizes:

11th most miles ridden (a cornucopia of alcohol to the winner!) – GB (GregBain)
Single digit riders (multiple awardees) – Steve O
GPS Art – vvill
Team Billy Goat. Team that climbs the most: Elevation Gain (feet) / Distance traveled (miles). - Rob-O
Seventh lowest for the average number of miles per ride – CPTJohnC
Maryland Rail Trail Mixed Use Trail Pointless Prize - eminva
WWW (Weekend Woman Warrior) - Rod Smith
Wonder Woman (5 awarded) - Fast Friendly Dave
Nostradamus Prize - consularrider
#Kidical - dasgeh
Most consistent (boring) rider - oldbikechick

Mileage first day (already awarded to vicegrip) – Arlington Rider

Side bets (Mikey - I'm going to assume that these will be at least announced and recognized, even if they have already been awarded. Let me know otherwise if not.):

FSSB #1 - Greatest Loser
FSSB #2 - Birdges of Arlington County
FSSB #3 - Find the Founding Fathers
FSSB #4 - Super Team Challenge (busted - no award)
FSSB #5 - Winter Wonderland photos

February side contest (Strava art bicycle - already awarded) - BikeArlington

Question marks:

Sleaze pointless prize of some kind (did someone volunteer to do this? I could not find a reference)
Post-contest inter-team photos (couldn't find the thread this was in. Who is in charge of this one?)
Other

cvcalhoun
03-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Question marks:

Post-contest inter-team photos (couldn't find the thread this was in. Who is in charge of this one?)

Here is the thread that prize came from:

Because #BAFS officially ends at midnight, March 19 and the Happy Hour isn't until Apr. 3, I propose an additional competition for March 20 - April 2. The winning team will be the one for which at least two members of the team (any two, and it can't always be the same two members) posts photos of themselves on a ride or enjoying a beverage with at least one member of *each* of the other teams between March 20 and April 2. To win, the team has to cover all of the other teams. Planning ahead is allowed, but the photos must be taken between March 20 and Apr. 2.

Arlingtonrider
03-27-2014, 10:22 PM
I'll take care of the sleaze award. Meant to volunteer for that awhile ago. Also will make award for the post-competition social/photo team award, if a team manages to win it. Photos must be posted with dates to win.

Fast Friendly Guy
03-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Since I stupidly compiled the list of pointless prizes, and no one else has stepped forward to be the prize coordinator, I'll do it.

I will compile a new, updated list tonight and post it here. Those of you offering PPs can double-check it for accuracy. Then I'll figure out next steps.

As coordinator, I'll decide the order of awards.
Award givers - you will announce your own awards and bring whatever knick-knack or certificate or cooler of drinks you are awarding.
I am soliciting interest in a volunteer to be emcee; I'm happy to coordinate, but I don't need to hold the mike, too. If no one volunteers, then you will all be subject to my groan-inducing humor (and rugged good looks--perhaps an even trade-off?). Don't claim I didn't warn you.

Steve, Great job coordinating and enumerating PP list. What I think you're describing sounds great. Do I have it right?
Emcee introduces award giver, who says a few words about the challenge/award, identifying the winner(s), and then awards (gives) the PP(s) to the recipient(s)....and so forth.

Arlingtonrider
03-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Speaking of who has the mike, does anyone actually have a mike that we could use for the announcements and awards?

Amalitza
03-28-2014, 08:13 AM
I have the Maryland pointless prize prize to award.

Steve O
04-02-2014, 09:41 PM
I have decided to let this operate like Freezing Saddles, and be more self-organized. So no emcee.

I will bring some "programs," i.e., lists of the awards and conferrers. Just follow the list. If you see your name is next, then move to the front. When you are done conferring your prize, hand it off to the next one on the list. Easy; no emcee required.

I'll let Mikey go first with FSSBs, and then I'll award the first PPs, and we'll go from there.

See you in 20 hours or so.

Also, I think arlingtonrider is still seeking some sort of PA system. Otherwise, I guess we'll just stand on a chair and shout.

scorchedearth
04-03-2014, 08:08 AM
What is the schedule like for tonight? I intend to arrive before 6:30 but want to make sure I am there for the proper celebration.

Steve O
04-03-2014, 12:07 PM
What is the schedule like for tonight? I intend to arrive before 6:30 but want to make sure I am there for the proper celebration.

Celebration begins whenever people arrive, although the advertised time is 5:00. I won't arrive until closer to 6:00

As awards coordinator, I intend to start the awards "ceremony" at 6:30. There are a lot of awards; I expect it to go on for at least 1/2 hour--probably longer.

Celebration ends, I presume, at midnight, when Cap City closes.

rcannon100
04-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Thank you Freezing Saddles volunteers. Many many people went into making Freezing Saddles happen. Three stand out for efforts above and beyond Rock Ridge.

* Some know him as Hozn; Others know him as Horizon; And still others confuse him with Lederhosen.... It's the master of the data, the rava of the Strava, and the big heart who made the charts! It's Hans!

* We used to know him as essigmw. Some know him as the guy with the 'stache! Others resort to just calling him Mikey. Without him, we might have actually had to get work done this winter! It is the champion of FSSB!

* Finally, for giving us a place to go because lord knows we are avoiding heading home. It's the hostest with the mostest! The person who puts happy into the hour! It's ArlingtonRider for all of the events she organizes all year long, not just when the trails are open and free of ninjas and poseurs.

Johnny, tell our contestants what they have won!

Our three winners in the category of really really great volunteers (really) will receive an all expense paid trip to..... Lost Dog Cafe! (okay, its a gift certificate for dinner and all of your expenses will be paid if those expenses remain reasonable).

I am not planning on coming tonite as I have to prepare for this thing I am doing tomorrow. If the contestants could DM me with their addresses, I will have Rootchopper deliver you prizes.

http://www.lostdogcafe.com/wp-content/themes/foodilicious/images/lost-dog-logo.png

cvcalhoun
04-05-2014, 11:16 PM
I know the "Liar, Liar Pants on Fire" award never got presented due to the absence of the presenter. But does anyone know who won it?

KLizotte
04-06-2014, 01:36 AM
Here are many, many pics I took of the awards ceremonies/happy hour. Sorry for the crappy quality; they were taken with a camera phone.

KLizotte
04-06-2014, 01:38 AM

KLizotte
04-06-2014, 01:39 AM

KLizotte
04-06-2014, 01:42 AM

KLizotte
04-06-2014, 01:44 AM

KLizotte
04-06-2014, 01:45 AM

KLizotte
04-06-2014, 01:47 AM

Arlingtonrider
04-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Did anyone get a really good photo of the absolutely beautiful awards that Caroline designed and Dickie spent many hours making in his shop despite an already very busy schedule? They are truly works of art and it was so generous of them both to put their hearts, talents and time into making them.

Many thanks too, Dickie, for coming out to celebrate with us and present the awards!

dkel
04-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Did anyone get a really good photo of the absolutely beautiful awards that Caroline designed and Dickie spent many hours making in his shop

vvill
04-09-2014, 08:57 AM
A bit late, but here is a selection of the Strava Art rides that I printed out to use as "certificates" for the winners. :eek: (Obviously I should've printed a couple more for everyone else to see.)

Another view of the ride-every-day prizes
http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/6d3181babb9811e3b0100002c95588e8_8.jpg