PDA

View Full Version : * Freezing Saddles 2014 *

rcannon100
12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Registration is now open (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1M0TulhK4IWXKNPI1qcfRTlJBdeIDljAFtUvWunjNBag/viewform).

Freezing Saddles is a commuter challenge organized by the volunteer efforts of the Bike Arlington / WABA forum. It is a hat style tournament where cyclists are randomly assigned to teams of ~8 based on handicaps, creating teams that will have roughly the same handicap value. The challenge runs from Jan. 1 to the end of winter. Cyclists earn 1 point for each mile ridden and 10 points for each day ridden (and yes, riding means outdoors - it is Freezing Saddles not Living Room Saddles). Participants must be part of the forum and be members of Strava. More than that and what awards will be awarded, well that's up to the volunteers.

Registration closes Dec. 24th. There will be no late registrations this year. Teams will be announced on the forum by the end of the month.

Freezing Saddles is a self organized effort of the participants. Freezing Saddles is not sponsored by anyone (it is not sponsored by Bike Arlington or by WABA). There is no organization. It is just a bunch of people coming together to be silly and ride bikes when it is really really cold. Your participation in Freezing Saddles is voluntary and at your own risk and you have not paid anyone anything to participate. Please volunteer to help make this self organized effort succeed.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8245695055_9cd30ef6b8_c.jpg

Rod Smith
12-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Hmm, well I suppose this is a point I should have raised during the discussion draft, but I see you are asking how much we ride in Nov. and Dec. These are the months I ride the least. I'm motivated by National Bike Challenge and Freezing Saddles. The months between, I sort of slack off. And I spend time with family around Thanksgiving (my only two day of no riding in a row this year was last week) and Christmas. Shouldn't we base our estimates on the months of Jan, Feb and March, the months of the competition? I'm going to enter my weekly miles based on what I rode during Freezing Saddles 2013. Apologies to my teammates but I would feel like a total sandbagger if I used Nov. and Dec. miles.

DismalScientist
12-03-2013, 08:49 PM
What's the problem with being a total sandbagger?

KelOnWheels
12-03-2013, 10:04 PM
We're tapering. It's very pro.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

rcannon100
12-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Please no sandbagging.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_T0tcPb3iU-k/TCldIIYceKI/AAAAAAAAEck/UA_70evDUBY/s1600/sandbagging+demotiv.jpg

Subby
12-04-2013, 07:46 AM
This is what got me through the long slog of last winter. It means a lot to me to be able to do this with everyone.

Thank you for setting this up!

CPTJohnC
12-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Registration submitted! Hopefully this will motivate me to ride more this winter than I have this fall!

ejwillis62
12-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Registration submitted! Hopefully this will motivate me to ride more this winter than I have this fall!

registration submitted, and I posted about it on our women's WABA facebook page and on the Black Women Bike DC page. Hope we get more females riding this winter. :)

LIZ W.

dasgeh
12-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Hmm, well I suppose this is a point I should have raised during the discussion draft, but I see you are asking how much we ride in Nov. and Dec. These are the months I ride the least. I'm motivated by National Bike Challenge and Freezing Saddles. The months between, I sort of slack off. And I spend time with family around Thanksgiving (my only two day of no riding in a row this year was last week) and Christmas. Shouldn't we base our estimates on the months of Jan, Feb and March, the months of the competition? I'm going to enter my weekly miles based on what I rode during Freezing Saddles 2013. Apologies to my teammates but I would feel like a total sandbagger if I used Nov. and Dec. miles.

We're all in the same boat. Answer honestly.

Mikey
12-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Submitted ! Sooooo excited. I estimated more miles than I have in Nov and Dec so far, but less than I did in Jan last year (longer commute last year).
I think it will all work out, and if not, here's hoping we get a TON of snow - the great equalizer.

Greenbelt
12-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm planning to get back on Metro from time to time this winter if the weather's bad, at least in the evening. Maybe.

DCAKen
12-04-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm signed up. Last year's challenge really kept me on my bike during some of those cold, miserable days of winter. That helped put me at almost 5000 miles for the year. This was a big increase over last year's 4100 miles, previously the most miles I've cycled a year.

jrenaut
12-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm signing up this year. That way I don't have to just crash the post-challenge happy hour.

Jason B
12-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I promise it will only be used to dry wet clothes. In

Fast Friendly Guy
12-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Sounds like fun. Got my toe warmers, gloves/mittens, and layers of Hot Chiles--I'm ready to go! I volunteered for artwork.4210

Rod Smith
12-04-2013, 06:24 PM
We're all in the same boat. Answer honestly.

I encourage returning participants to use the weekly mileage they rode last year between Jan 1 and March 20 as a baseline. It's a little dishonest but in my case more fair. I'm not a 201 mile/week rider. I've averaged 269 over the last 52 weeks, 258 during Freezing Saddles 2013. Part of the challenge for me will be beating my handicap.

I'm planning to get back on Metro from time to time this winter if the weather's bad, at least in the evening. Maybe.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Submitted ! Sooooo excited. I estimated more miles than I have in Nov and Dec so far, but less than I did in Jan last year (longer commute last year).
I think it will all work out, and if not, here's hoping we get a TON of snow - the great equalizer.

If it dumps, I'm going skiing. :)

rcannon100
12-04-2013, 06:33 PM
I think I am going to have to come up with a pointless prize for best answer to the superfluous question. So far, the best answer.....

Waffles

KayakCyndi
12-04-2013, 08:22 PM
In! Last year was so awesome. Freezing Saddles kept me on the bike all winter and, in fact, got me so used to riding that I haven't been able to stop yet!

ShawnoftheDread
12-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I've signed up, Lord help me.

consularrider
12-04-2013, 09:54 PM
I encourage returning participants to use the weekly mileage they rode last year between Jan 1 and March 20 as a baseline. It's a little dishonest but in my case more fair. I'm not a 201 mile/week rider. I've averaged 269 over the last 52 weeks, 258 during Freezing Saddles 2013. Part of the challenge for me will be beating my handicap...
Well, I'm supposed to make a couple of trips south during the challenge (of course I said that last year) with only hotel fitness center stationary bike which won't count. Just trying to keep it real.

Fast Friendly Guy
12-05-2013, 04:36 AM
I think I am going to have to come up with a pointless prize for best answer to the superfluous question. So far, the best answer.....

I hope it's a good prize!

birddog
12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
I just signed up!

culimerc
12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
We're all going to die!!!!

creadinger
12-05-2013, 10:13 AM

I hope not. I just signed up.

Looking at my past ride data, last winter I really didn't ride much (though I was still able to do a 200K in February somehow. Huh.), so I used my averages from this fall, which are more consistent. I'm still not sure whether I want to use the coming winter to get back in shape for more randonneuring next year, or whether I want to get in shape to do 5K runs, while exercising our dog at the same time. I don't think I can do both.

Either way, this will help get me out of the house to commute or get groceries, etc...

dkel
12-05-2013, 10:35 AM

I'm really thinking hard about signing up, but having never ridden through an entire winter, and I'll admit I'm fearful. That said, I've ridden five or six days a week for almost three months now (cold, windy, and rainy days included), and I've been ok so far. Is personal fortitude the most important element in this competition? I may have some of that. In any case, I'll be scouring previous posts about winter riding, guaranteed!

jrenaut
12-05-2013, 10:37 AM
...In any case, I'll be scouring previous posts about winter riding, guaranteed!
You'll need this thread (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?3055-Bikes-and-Gear-link-compendium).

As they say, there is no bad weather, only bad clothes. And freezing rain. F*** that s***.

dasgeh
12-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I encourage returning participants to use the weekly mileage they rode last year between Jan 1 and March 20 as a baseline. It's a little dishonest but in my case more fair. I'm not a 201 mile/week rider. I've averaged 269 over the last 52 weeks, 258 during Freezing Saddles 2013. Part of the challenge for me will be beating my handicap.

But seriously, if we're all answering differing questions, the handicap won't work as intended. The question is not "how far/often do you expect to ride during FS 2014?" It could be, and we could each figure out an answer for that, based on our own situations. The question is "how far/often have you/will you have ridden in Nov/Dec?" We all live in a place that changes for Thanksgiving and Xmas (offices closed, more shopping, lots of travel), so we're in basically the same boat.

I answered for Nov/Dec even though I bike commute a little less these months and take time off. So if others are answering the first question, I'm sandbagging.

TwoWheelsDC
12-05-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm really thinking hard about signing up, but having never ridden through an entire winter, and I'll admit I'm fearful. That said, I've ridden five or six days a week for almost three months now (cold, windy, and rainy days included), and I've been ok so far. Is personal fortitude the most important element in this competition? I may have some of that. In any case, I'll be scouring previous posts about winter riding, guaranteed!

Having been on one of the lowest-placing teams last year (although we had the highest average speed, because ELITE), which included a member who ended up riding hardly at all, I don't think anyone is seriously going to hold it against you if you sign up and don't rack up a lot of miles. I'd say sign up...best case, you ride a ton. Worst case, you don't get a pointless prize and your teammates mock you mercilessly.

rcannon100
12-05-2013, 10:48 AM
. Worst case, you don't get a pointless prize and your teammates mock you mercilessly.

This is modern day America. You get a prize just for showing up! I still have mine!

Vicegrip
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
In.

My bike is going to hate me after this.

consularrider
12-05-2013, 11:43 AM
... Worst case, you don't get a pointless prize and your teammates mock you mercilessly.
That is your prize! :p

dkel
12-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Worst case, you don't get a pointless prize and your teammates mock you mercilessly.

Alright. You've convinced me (in a weird, warped way...). I'm in. In lieu of flowers, the family requests you make a donation to WABA.

guga31bb
12-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Signed up!

Amalitza
12-05-2013, 12:15 PM
but having never ridden through an entire winter,

Me neither.

Until last year.

Now all my coworkers and the gate guards at work think I'm certifiably insane. This is a known and verified side effect of the competition. You are warned.

cyclingfool
12-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Just signed up, too, after sitting on the fence for quite a while. As is usually the case year round, I am sure my riding will be limited almost exclusively to my daily commute (i.e., probably won't be able to go for any of the special challenges), but I do my commute year round five days a week as long as I'm working, so hopefully I'll be an asset to my team...

americancyclo
12-05-2013, 02:04 PM
(although we had the highest average speed, because ELITE)
Word. also, best post award ceremony peleton. Aiming for that award again, because racecar.

Alright. You've convinced me (in a weird, warped way...). I'm in. In lieu of flowers, the family requests you make a donation to WABA.
don't worry, i'm sure you'll be making Quick trips this winter, so you probably won't get cold....

Terpfan
12-05-2013, 03:44 PM
I didn't do it last year although I had fun tracking everyone. Screw it, I may as well do it to give myself even more motivation. Only tricky part for me is some work travel in late January/early February (not the kind where I get to bike at either like I did in San Fran last fall during a work trip), but I estimated those into my guess-worked number of rides/milage.

Greenbelt
12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Just signed up, too, after sitting on the fence for quite a while. As is usually the case year round, I am sure my riding will be limited almost exclusively to my daily commute (i.e., probably won't be able to go for any of the special challenges), but I do my commute year round five days a week as long as I'm working, so hopefully I'll be an asset to my team...

Last year, I tried to sandbag my way into the "average joe" award -- for riding the same bland miles every week exactly on handicap -- but was beaten at the finish by Mark Blacknell. Drat!

This year, I put in an honest estimate of just my commute miles plus a smidge for utility (170 per week). That way I can ride some on weekends, but still take the occasional commute off with subjecting myself to teammate ridicule. This year, the no-Metro-ever-again streak is definitely going to end. Maybe.

(Problem is, I can't remember what angered me so much about Metro that I swore never to take it again. Senility.)

cyclingfool
12-05-2013, 04:26 PM
(Problem is, I can't remember what angered me so much about Metro that I swore never to take it again. Senility.)

Ride it a couple days and you'll quickly remember! :D

Only thing I like about riding metro is it allows me to catch up on the podcasts I've fallen behind on, since I don't listen to anything other than the sounds around me while riding my bike.

vvill
12-05-2013, 05:32 PM
I estimated 60 miles/week as I won't be riding much through the first half of the competition.

And as fun as it was last year, does anyone actually need more than one of these in their life? Having two would just be silly.

ShawnoftheDread
12-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I like how vvill just assumes he'd be on the winning team again this year. Team Five Guys will not be re-formed!

TwoWheelsDC
12-05-2013, 07:09 PM

@unsuckdcmetro

consularrider
12-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Ride it a couple days and you'll quickly remember! :D

Only thing I like about riding metro is it allows me to catch up on the podcasts I've fallen behind on, since I don't listen to anything other than the sounds around me while riding my bike.
Just think how much worse it is having to drive during the commute hours. I prefer my bicycle, but would still elect Metro over driving to Rosslyn everyday, and that doesn't include having to cross the Potomac!

cyclingfool
12-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Just think how much worse it is having to drive during the commute hours. I prefer my bicycle, but would still elect Metro over driving to Rosslyn everyday, and that doesn't include having to cross the Potomac!

Oh, it's still better than driving for the most part, I agree, especially if you're coming into DC metro's urban core - Crystal City, Rosslyn, DC. Plus it lets me do things I couldn't safely do while driving, like sleep, do crosswords, read a paper.

But it still sucks compared to riding a bike and it has its own complete set of completely maddening problems, and the $7 round trip fare from Alexandria to downtown at peak of the peak plus a bus ride if I don't feel like walking home. That's a lot of moolah.

dasgeh
12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Are we doing the multiplier for people on the bike? Because we might be starting the year with a Kidical Mass Arlington ride...

Steve O
12-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Are we doing the multiplier for people on the bike? Because we might be starting the year with a Kidical Mass Arlington ride...

THAT is a great question!! I think there ought to be a bonus for a "freezing trailer" or "freezing childseat" What say, Commissioner Cannon?

BTW - I say that without any possible personal benefit; my kids are 14 and 20 (. . .and not interested in riding in a trailer).

Also BTW - I'm in.

rcannon100
12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
" What say, Commissioner Cannon?.

Not up to me. Rules are by consensus.

Mikey
12-06-2013, 11:59 AM
I would think not part of the main competition, but we could vie for the "Rerun" award for most frozen miles with tike on bike.

consularrider
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
I think each participant has to be an individual with a set of pedals (both members of a tandem or a kid on a tag-a-long who pedals even if it doesn't add power to the rider would record their own rides). This is in part because I don't think there is a way to track multiple users on Strava for data mining, and also because I think all participants should have the ability to earn the same amount of points for the same ride. Not everyone has a trailer/child seat/baksfiet (jealousy rears its ugly head). However, even without varifiable data, I highly encourage someone to come up with a prize for most days/miles ridden with a passenger (or two, or three, etc).

Tim Kelley
12-06-2013, 12:31 PM
This is in part because I don't think there is a way to track multiple users on Strava for data mining, and also because I think all participants should have the ability to earn the same amount of points for the same ride.

Sign up the kiddos with their own Strava accounts and then enter the miles manually?

KelOnWheels
12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
There should be a bonus for riding in this: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/horrifying_full_body_spandex_santa_claus_suit

consularrider
12-06-2013, 01:42 PM
There should be a bonus for riding in this: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/horrifying_full_body_spandex_santa_claus_suit

While it certainly beats out TM's bikini skin suit, Freezing Saddles 2014 doesn't start until January 1 and this suit must be retired by Three Kings Day. Besides, where's the white beard, and would anyone really want to see a portly gentleman in skin tight lycra? :confused:

KelOnWheels
12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
While it certainly beats out TM's bikini skin suit, Freezing Saddles 2014 doesn't start until January 1 and this suit must be retired by Three Kings Day. Besides, where's the white beard, and would anyone really want to see a portly gentleman in skin tight lycra? :confused:

Bah humbug, Orthodox Christmas isn't until Jan 7 so you can rock this until at least the 19th :D

dasgeh
12-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Not everyone has a trailer/child seat/baksfiet (jealousy rears its ugly head). However, even without varifiable data, I highly encourage someone to come up with a prize for most days/miles ridden with a passenger (or two, or three, etc).

I originally read this as "not everyone has a child", and my reaction was "you can take mine out for rides!"

However, even without varifiable data, I highly encourage someone to come up with a prize for most days/miles ridden with a passenger (or two, or three, etc).

I don't know enough about the back end to know if this is doable. If we name rides with the number of people on the bike, could it be calculated later? <PS. manually entered rides aren't verifiable either, but we're cool with those, right?>

Sign up the kiddos with their own Strava accounts and then enter the miles manually?

But then they would get the points, when I do the pedaling!

rcannon100
12-06-2013, 02:22 PM
This is in part because I don't think there is a way to track multiple users on Strava for data mining,

The Kid and I have used the same Garmin to upload our rides to STRAVA. I think it was the Great Pumpkin Ride. Of course, well, in truth I was a lot slower than he. But I wanted the miles dammmit.

hozn
12-06-2013, 02:49 PM
I don't know enough about the back end to know if this is doable. If we name rides with the number of people on the bike, could it be calculated later? <PS. manually entered rides aren't verifiable either, but we're cool with those, right?>

Sure, we could do something like this. When rides are synchronized we already inspect the ride title to see if there is a #NoBAFS hashtag applied (in which case they are ignored). I believe this was for trainer rides originally (though we will also support the "trainer?" attribute that strava supports) -- or other rides that for some reason shouldn't count. So you could do something like #4passengers (or maybe we can think of a better notation) and we could parse out the number of passengers/children. Or maybe simpler to just say #passengers to make this support the idea of family biking w/o specifically favoring those with many children? I dunno -- y'all just come up with some clear rules for this prize/leaderboard and we can probably implement it on the back using some sort of tagging mechanism.

Yeah, the multi-upload won't work unless your children are BaFS participants. :) We will only look for activities from registered contestants.

jrenaut is helping out with backend development now too; it's gonna be much better as a result.

Mikey
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Sure, we could do something like this. When rides are synchronized we already inspect the ride title to see if there is a #NoBAFS hashtag applied (in which case they are ignored). I believe this was for trainer rides originally (though we will also support the "trainer?" attribute that strava supports) -- or other rides that for some reason shouldn't count. So you could do something like #4passengers (or maybe we can think of a better notation) and we could parse out the number of passengers/children. Or maybe simpler to just say #passengers to make this support the idea of family biking w/o specifically favoring those with many children? I dunno -- y'all just come up with some clear rules for this prize/leaderboard and we can probably implement it on the back using some sort of tagging mechanism.

Yeah, the multi-upload won't work unless your children are BaFS participants. :) We will only look for activities from registered contestants.

jrenaut is helping out with backend development now too; it's gonna be much better as a result.

#Kidical could help identify which rides have kids in tow for some parenting special prize. Your BAFS miles would still count as BAFS. If you plan to take your kid everywhere with you, you could register them as a participant to count those miles too, but odds are they wouldn't be on your team. Then you would deliberately leave your kid at home to go ride, lest you pull miles for a parasitic team. Then the kid's all home alone, child services is called, it gets pretty ugly.

dasgeh
12-06-2013, 03:30 PM
#Kidical could help identify which rides have kids in tow for some parenting special prize. Your BAFS miles would still count as BAFS. If you plan to take your kid everywhere with you, you could register them as a participant to count those miles too, but odds are they wouldn't be on your team. Then you would deliberately leave your kid at home to go ride, lest you pull miles for a parasitic team. Then the kid's all home alone, child services is called, it gets pretty ugly.

<and I didn't even have to suggest it:p>

rcannon100
12-06-2013, 03:39 PM
BTW we have 50+ registered already. Looking like a nice turn out.

Meganomics
12-06-2013, 08:23 PM

Ok, I'm in, along with my three-year-old commute buddy, KidA. Bike is by far the best option for us to do the home-to-school-to-work-and-back-again run, so we'll be reliable teammates.

I hereby nominate myself for a totally-made-up "greatest size differential between bike and rider" award, as I am 5'2" and my bike is 7'.

Also, @dasgeh made me do it. :)

Steve O
12-08-2013, 10:37 AM
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/horrifying_full_body_spandex_santa_claus_suit

I hate it when my wife posts pics of me on the Internet. These are supposed to be private moments!

Jason B
12-09-2013, 02:41 PM
I was able to convince two others teachers to join this year and they want to take a stab at the Freezing Saddles. Are teams randomly assigned?

eminva
12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I was able to convince two others teachers to commute with me this year and they want to take a stab at the Freezing Saddles. Are teams randomly assigned?

Randomly assigned. That's part of the fun -- you are competing against people you know on a team of people you might not know so well (but do get to know by the end).

Liz

Jason B
12-09-2013, 05:41 PM
^^^^^^
That actually works out because Rule #10 and Summerdrummer are total slackers anyway. Can I at least ask that they are not on the same team as me?:p

Subby
12-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Randomly assigned. That's part of the fun -- you are competing against people you know on a team of people you might not know so well (but do get to know by the end).

Liz
But I FEEL like I know you. ;)

83(b)
12-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm in!

I'll be traveling from next week until just after New Year, so please don't think I've fallen off the map.

slowtriguy
12-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm in - just registered.

rcannon100
12-25-2013, 03:18 PM
94 Valid Registrations
10 Teams
Including a Fully Loaded Team of Slackers
Average team handicap is 1250 ((Average Days x 10) + Average Miles) * 9.3
9 Non-Slacker Teams formed with Handicaps no more than 2.5 points off the average.

Frankly, it looks like a fantastic competition. All will be disclosed Jan. 2nd at the Hour of Happy. Personally, I recommend everyone ride a C at the Circle of Cycles just to ensure their team remains competitive.

Mikey
12-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your hard work, see you out there on the trails.

KLizotte
12-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Lordy, I really hope things warm up soon otherwise this is gonna be one long competition.....

Those of you out before the sun comes up each morning riding 15+ miles are CRAZY!!!!!!

Arlingtonrider
12-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Just a reminder to post your Jan. 1 ride(s) in Strava in time for us to determine the winner of the "first day" competition (by 10 a.m., Jan. 2 is good).

Fast Friendly Guy
12-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Lordy, I really hope things warm up soon otherwise this is gonna be one long competition.....

Those of you out before the sun comes up each morning riding 15+ miles are CRAZY!!!!!!

...and you can add rain but (Don't let Steve hear you!)

NicDiesel
12-30-2013, 09:17 AM
After careful consideration and a few failed riding attempts I'm going to have to sit out the 2014 edition of Freezing Saddles. One thing that I overestimated when I considered riding this winter here in Minneapolis was the state of my immune system. As some of you may know I had a pretty serious health scare four years ago that left me with a seriously compromised immune system that makes riding under normal winter weather conditions difficult. To be fair, December here has been colder than normal (December 24th was the coldest day in 2013 with -14 wet bulb temp) but my immune system is just not up to the task for outdoor riding this winter. I'm hoping that after I drop another 50-60lbs I can get back to riding year round but, for right now, I have to listen to my body and stay indoors.

KLizotte
12-30-2013, 10:15 AM
^^^^Get well NicDiesel. Nothing is more precious than your health. We are pulling for you!!!

Fast Friendly Guy
12-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Here we go again...Just in time for BAFS kick-off!

Snowfall Thursday night will total 1-2 inches; watch for a rapid freezeup
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/arlington-va/22203/daily-weather-forecast/331250?day=3

Forecasted temps for Fri and Sat (20-30 F range) may presage a return of the 'ruts of death' Yikes! So thankful Santa brought me my Schwalbe Winter Marathons. Be safe, everyone!

ejwillis62
12-31-2013, 07:41 AM
Made my pre freezing saddles ride this morning. Everything is warm except my toes. I need some shoe covers. Ride to the Metro about 7 miles put the bike on the rex bus for the ride into fort Belvoir. People in cars look at me like I am crazy on the maryland side of the bridge.

creadinger
12-31-2013, 07:54 AM
After careful consideration and a few failed riding attempts I'm going to have to sit out the 2014 edition of Freezing Saddles. One thing that I overestimated when I considered riding this winter here in Minneapolis was the state of my immune system. As some of you may know I had a pretty serious health scare four years ago that left me with a seriously compromised immune system that makes riding under normal winter weather conditions difficult. To be fair, December here has been colder than normal (December 24th was the coldest day in 2013 with -14 wet bulb temp) but my immune system is just not up to the task for outdoor riding this winter. I'm hoping that after I drop another 50-60lbs I can get back to riding year round but, for right now, I have to listen to my body and stay indoors.

Hey man, don't sweat it. "Winter" here is balmy compared to MN. The 40's?? You may not see them again until mid-February. Few people are properly geared for riding in 15 degrees F, let alone 15 degrees BELOW zero which happens there routinely. It's downright dangerous without the proper gear. If you can stay healthy, you'll have a really nice summer of long days, and mild temperatures to look forward too.

jrenaut
12-31-2013, 08:00 AM
...I have to listen to my body and stay indoors.
Biking is supposed to make you happier and healthier. Since right now it wouldn't be doing that, it sounds like you're making the right choice, and we all hope you can 1) get back out there soon and 2) take part in Freezing Saddles 2015

NicDiesel
12-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Hey man, don't sweat it. "Winter" here is balmy compared to MN. The 40's?? You may not see them again until mid-February. Few people are properly geared for riding in 15 degrees F, let alone 15 degrees BELOW zero which happens there routinely. It's downright dangerous without the proper gear. If you can stay healthy, you'll have a really nice summer of long days, and mild temperatures to look forward too.
Definitely. It's disappointing that I'm not getting to ride outside but I knew it would probably take me a year to get used to just living here given the long, frigid winters, much less ride year round. What I didn't anticipate is just how weak my immune system still is and how much the cold weather seems to be affecting my breathing. But hey, I'm still above ground and I can still exercise and ride so it's not all bad, just a speed bump on the road to Kick Ass-ville.

seunpu
12-31-2013, 10:08 AM
I heard that! Dark and cold are fine but not rain and anything below 45

cyclingfool
12-31-2013, 10:13 AM
I heard that! Dark and cold are fine but not rain and anything below 45

If it's not below 45, it's not cold. :p

KLizotte
12-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Definitely. It's disappointing that I'm not getting to ride outside but I knew it would probably take me a year to get used to just living here given the long, frigid winters, much less ride year round. What I didn't anticipate is just how weak my immune system still is and how much the cold weather seems to be affecting my breathing. But hey, I'm still above ground and I can still exercise and ride so it's not all bad, just a speed bump on the road to Kick Ass-ville.

Hey Nick, you may wish to consider swimming thru the winter months. Amazing workout and the humid air will help with breathing issues. Easy on the joints too. When I was living through the long, dark London winters swimming is about the only thing that kept me sane.

Best of luck, stay healthy!

Arlingtonrider
01-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Freezing saddles began at midnight! Heading out again shortly to earn some more non-points for the Slacker team!

ShawnoftheDread
01-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Freezing saddles began at midnight! Heading out again shortly to earn some more non-points for the Slacker team!

Heading out on New Year's Morning? That's a Slacker disqualification for sure.

Jason B
01-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Started early today, and it was one of my coldest starts yet. This is going to be a cold couple months!

Mikey
01-01-2014, 01:11 PM
The wife had a 5k race in Restin this morning, might as well rack out the kids and go for a short ride while she ran. Cold fingers and toes, but not too much whining. #Kidical

ejwillis62
01-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Freezing saddles is on. Had the 5K race in reston this morning, ran 3.1 miles in 32 minutes and then came home took a nap and went out to ride a quick loop around the neighborhood. I wanted my points. :)
See you all at the happy hour tomorrow.
LIZ W.

jrenaut
01-01-2014, 05:20 PM
I didn't get home until 5pm today, so I got a late start, but I got a quick ride in (my first Freezing Saddles ride EVER unless you count the ride to the happy hour after last year's challenge ended). It's kinda funny looking on Strava (http://www.strava.com/activities/103314971).

sethpo
01-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Found it!

http://www.anytimecostumes.com/halloween-santa-claus-skin-suit-adult-R880543.html

$40. My kids would be HORRIFIED....which makes it a must have.

KelOnWheels
01-01-2014, 07:03 PM
I had great plans to get up and go Circle with the Cycles this morning... my bronchitis had other plans. :P I apologize to my team in advance :P

Vicegrip
01-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Started early today, and it was one of my coldest starts yet. This is going to be a cold couple months!Per the Garmin it was 21 deg past Reston on the W&OD early this am before old sol got up. My feet bricked after about 30 miles. Time for more insulation.

dkel
01-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I couldn't bear to do a sleaze ride on the first day, but had to help prepare for a big open house today. I got in eight miles despite having nowhere to go, so I think I'm safe from sleazing up my team on day one. I also used the ride to put in some purposeful work on hills...maybe that will benefit the team later...besides, any ride is better than no ride!

So looking forward to happy hour tomorrow!

jrenaut
01-02-2014, 05:00 PM
What do you call it when the weather can't make up its mind? "Hmm, maybe it should rain. No, snow! No, sleet! Ooh, how about all three at once?"

Oh, right, they call it "this post gets flagged for excessive profanity".

What kind of bonus points do I get for riding in this? Stay safe out there.

ShawnoftheDread
01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
What do you call it when the weather can't make up its mind? "Hmm, maybe it should rain. No, snow! No, sleet! Ooh, how about all three at once?"

Oh, right, they call it "this post gets flagged for excessive profanity".

What kind of bonus points do I get for riding in this? Stay safe out there.

They call it rule 5 and rule 9, and welcome to happy hour.

jrenaut
01-03-2014, 09:02 AM
They call it rule 5 and rule 9, and welcome to happy hour.
As I mentioned somewhere, I had to miss happy hour for date night. I'll never add any + to my N if I blow off date night to go ride my bike in the snow.

MattAune
01-03-2014, 09:20 AM
As I mentioned somewhere, I had to miss happy hour for date night. I'll never add any + to my N if I blow off date night to go ride my bike in the snow.

Weak excuse... My wife and I have Thursday date night every week. I took her to happy hour, then to Carlyle Grand.

rcannon100
01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Didnt register for Freezing Saddles? Envious of everyone who rode on Tuesday? Want in on the fun of hypothermia? Now is your chance?

It looks like a few people who signed up for FS have not shown up (and if you did sign up and have not shown up, show up or you will be dropped). What we will do is identify who has not shown up, what their handicap is, and then attempt to match people from the waiting list who have less than or equal to that handicap.

If you would like to be on the waiting list, send me a personal message with your strava number, your average number of rides per week and your average number of miles per week (November thru December)

No promises here but we will see what we can do.

Yes, Peter, you are #1 on the waiting list.

Jason B
01-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Started early today, and it was one of my coldest starts yet. This is going to be a cold couple months!
I wrote that last week, and , well ummm, I think I need to revise it.

Rod Smith
01-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Didnt register for Freezing Saddles? Envious of everyone who rode on Tuesday? Want in on the fun of hypothermia? Now is your chance?

It looks like a few people who signed up for FS have not shown up (and if you did sign up and have not shown up, show up or you will be dropped). What we will do is identify who has not shown up, what their handicap is, and then attempt to match people from the waiting list who have less than or equal to that handicap.

If you would like to be on the waiting list, send me a personal message with your strava number, your average number of rides per week and your average number of miles per week (November thru December)

No promises here but we will see what we can do.

Yes, Peter, you are #1 on the waiting list.

Chris Tank is on the Lentement Strava Club and he sent me a PM indicating he is glad to be on our team and anxious to rack up the miles. Not sure why he hasn't completed the registration process. I told him he probably needs to reauthorize and provided a link to the authorization page. He is not a complete no show though so I hope you can give him a little more time to get onboard.

Subby
01-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Epic three way battle for first place right now between Sloppy Seconds, Samurai Sandbags, and Team 9 from Outer Space!

http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team

Anyone who rode last week is out of their minds.

NicDiesel
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
So, I lied. I did finally go riding outdoors this past weekend and, outside of my shoes getting soaked, had a blast. The slush makes it hard to go over 12mph but I did manage to ride 10 miles and not crash.

ShawnoftheDread
01-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Epic three way battle for first place right now between Sloppy Seconds, Samurai Sandbags, and Team 9 from Outer Space!

We're out of our minds.

Fixed.

culimerc
01-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Epic three way right now between Sloppy Seconds, Samurai Sandbags, and Team 9 from Outer Space!

Anyone who rode last week is out of their minds.

*Now* it's fixed

sethpo
01-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Weather is about to turn to suck.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/01/16/return-of-the-polar-vortex-cold-at-times-downright-frigid-for-end-of-january-increasing-snow-chances/

"Temperatures should average well below normal starting around next Tuesday, lasting at least through the end of January."

"Throughout this period, chances for snow are above normal. I think light snow events are more likely, but cannot rule out more significant storminess."

consularrider
01-16-2014, 02:07 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/01/16/return-of-the-polar-vortex-cold-at-times-downright-frigid-for-end-of-january-increasing-snow-chances/

"Temperatures should average well below normal starting around next Tuesday, lasting at least through the end of January."

"Throughout this period, chances for snow are above normal. I think light snow events are more likely, but cannot rule out more significant storminess."
Oh good, now I won't feel so bad about riding the ice bike while the hybrid gets repaired.

jopamora
01-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Time to unbox the snow tyres.

Fast Friendly Guy
01-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Oh good, now I won't feel so bad about riding the ice bike while the hybrid gets repaired.

Just thinkin' the same thing. I put the studs back on the Black Battleship (formerly known as the Black CrossRip) this morning. It felt the prudent thing to do after hearing Steve E.'s story about wiping out at Clarks Gap. But then I felt funny humming along on my studs with the sun shining. Did I mention that the Battleship can plow through any weather, (but it weighs 253 metric tons)

So I say BRING IT ON!

TwoWheelsDC
01-16-2014, 02:28 PM
IIRC, December and January were unseasonably warm last year, then February and March were freaking miserably cold and windy. So at this point, I say bring on the cold in January and February, and let's have a warm spring.

americancyclo
01-30-2014, 08:56 AM
NYT has thrown the gauntlet
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/nyregion/snow-ice-and-wind-no-issue-for-citi-bikes-die-hards.html

or: the Cold weather biking in NY is Sooooo much better.

Justin Antos
01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Hang on, only 2571 CitiBike rides during a snowstorm? On the 21st when we got 4+ inches, Capital Bikeshare had almost 1,800 rides. That's pretty darn good considering Citibike is 2.5 times bigger than Bikeshare.

I'll do some fancy math. So during a snowstorm, DC had 0.72 rides/bike, and NY had 0.43. After applying advanced hedonic regression techniques, and after controlling for the phase of the moon and sunspots, (aka (72/43)-1), I conclude that D.C. residents are 68% tougher than New Yorkers for cold-weather biking.

Q.E.D.

Rob_O
01-31-2014, 07:30 AM
And now this from today's WaPo: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/frigid-temps-are-no-barrier-to-the-growing-number-of-bicycle-riders/2014/01/30/065155b0-89c0-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html?hpid=z5

Surprisingly no mention of Freezing Saddles 2014. Who can ID themselves in that photo on the Key Bridge?

Rob_O
01-31-2014, 07:37 AM
And this data on ridership: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/2014/01/30/0de13f9a-89e1-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html

Would have liked to see a little more rigorous analysis. For example, it appears that CaBi use spikes on Mondays, regardless of temperature. Wonder if the stats would bear that out.

dkel
01-31-2014, 08:24 AM
And now this from today's WaPo: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/frigid-temps-are-no-barrier-to-the-growing-number-of-bicycle-riders/2014/01/30/065155b0-89c0-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html?hpid=z5

Surprisingly no mention of Freezing Saddles 2014. Who can ID themselves in that photo on the Key Bridge?

I emailed the author midday yesterday when I heard he was looking for winter bike commuting info, sending Freezing Saddles links to this forum and the leaderboard. Maybe it's too crazy for the tenor of the article he was trying to publish. It was a nice article, though, particularly in response to yesterday's NY Times piece. As usual, the comments section got a little ridiculous; if we check back later in the day, I'm sure it will have all the anti-cycling rants we're used to seeing.

americancyclo
01-31-2014, 08:39 AM
And this data on ridership: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/2014/01/30/0de13f9a-89e1-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html

That is the worst presentation of that data that I can think of.

For example, it appears that CaBi use spikes on Mondays, regardless of temperature. Wonder if the stats would bear that out.
Mondays seem to be big days, at least on the 13, 20, and 27 even for us crazy folk. Alternate Work Schedules?

http://freezingsaddles.com/explore/riders_by_lowtemp

Tim Kelley
01-31-2014, 08:39 AM
I emailed the author midday yesterday when I heard he was looking for winter bike commuting info, sending Freezing Saddles links to this forum and the leaderboard. Maybe it's too crazy for the tenor of the article he was trying to publish.

I'm glad that Freezing Saddles wasn't mentioned. Articles that tout how extreme it is to get around on a bike increase the false sense that this is abnormal behavior. It’s actually just an everyday thing for many people, and it could be for many more if the false perceptions were not out there. For the many people who are riding through the winter, they keep doing it because it’s the easiest, cheapest, fastest, healthiest way to get around. It’s part of their daily routine.

rcannon100
01-31-2014, 08:52 AM
I agree with tim.

However,

Freezing Saddles: Virtual contest pushes area cyclists to rack up real mileage (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/freezing-saddles-washington-area-cyclistsstrivingfor-speed-and-mileage/2013/01/14/dd1c70aa-5b42-11e2-88d0-c4cf65c3ad15_story.html) WAPO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_296w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/01/11/Sports/Images/misfits17a1357925891.jpg

I actually intentionally did not respond to the request for interview for this article bc I was a bit concerned about the publicity for Freezing Saddles.

dasgeh
01-31-2014, 09:15 AM
So, yeah, I didn't mention Freezing Saddles, basically because it did fit in naturally to the questions and because my answers were more along the lines of "this is no big deal - just how I get to work because it's the best option for me and my family". I don't know exactly what I said, but I'm pretty sure I didn't say that I only knew one other person biking back in the early 2000s (because I had a lot of friends who'd bike to work so they could bike to play after work, and Metro/Bus/car didn't allow enough flexibility).

DismalScientist
02-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Congrats to Subby for equaling his 2013 Freezing Saddles mileage in 40 days and getting by RCannon100's sandbag filter.:rolleyes:

Greenbelt
02-10-2014, 10:33 AM
What is the scale on the "before sunrise" and "after sunset" charts? For example, Rod Smith and Chris Randall are in the 100,000 range for "after sunset" but 100,000 whats?

Tim Kelley
02-10-2014, 10:42 AM
What is the scale on the "before sunrise" and "after sunset" charts? For example, Rod Smith and Chris Randall are in the 100,000 range for "after sunset" but 100,000 whats?

Rods? Hogsheads?

cyclingfool
02-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I think it's seconds.

consularrider
02-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Gotta be seconds. I don't think I could handle 100,000 hog heads in 40 days. ;)

cyclingfool
02-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Rods? Hogsheads?

Greenbelt
02-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I think it's seconds.

AHA -- I shall divide by 3600 and convert to hours. Although the number of rods Rod has ridden would be interesting to know.

hozn
02-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Yes, it's in seconds. You can mouse over the blue bars and it shows you the actual time in a more readable fashion. (We could convert the axis numbers to hours or something too.)

kwarkentien
02-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Looking at the individual leaderboard bar chart, it's in days/hours/minutes. So that should be a total number of minutes, I presume.

hozn
02-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Negative; the date/times are stored with seconds-level granularity, so that is what is returned by the duration db functions. I will convert this to hours, though, as I realize this is not very helpful unit.

PeteD
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM

Aww, c'mon, we *ALL* know the proper measurement for cycling is Furlongs per Fortnight. Anyone with white bar tape (which is SOOO Pro) can instantly convert from Miles Per Hour to Furlongs Per Fortnight. Though the World Tour pros are able to convert Kilometres Per Hour to Furlongs per Fortnight, that's what makes them so much faster than us.

--Pete

scorchedearth
02-11-2014, 07:12 AM

This is approximately .002 mpg, 10.5 feet per gallon, or 120,000 liters per 100 km. :D

cyclingfool
02-11-2014, 07:27 AM
This is approximately .002 mpg, 10.5 feet per gallon, or 120,000 liters per 100 km. :D

Which is still better mileage than a Hummer, right?

Tim Kelley
02-11-2014, 08:04 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

cyclingfool
02-11-2014, 09:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

I know. I just thought it needed appropriate illustration. ;)

americancyclo
02-11-2014, 11:08 AM
hey, we got a shout out from city paper!

* THE 15 PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO COMMUTE ON BIKES ARE EXPECTED TO SURVIVE THE SNOW, THOUGH THEIR CLOTHES AND BIKES WILL BE COVERED IN THE TONS OF SALT THAT CITY OFFICIALS PREEMPTIVELY PILE ON THE STREET (http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2014/01/21/the-district-spends-18k-on-beet-juice-and-other-fun-snow-facts/). THESE BIKERS WILL RECEIVE MEDIA COVERAGE (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/frigid-temps-are-no-barrier-to-the-growing-number-of-bicycle-riders/2014/01/30/065155b0-89c0-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html) FOR HEROICALLY DECIDING TO BIKE IN THE INCONVENIENT CONDITIONS.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2014/02/10/winter-storm-anxiety-advisory-posted-for-d-c/

jrenaut
02-13-2014, 07:21 AM
A tip of my morning coffee to vvill.

jrenaut
02-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Man. 51 straight days, 502 miles. By comparison, on this date in 2013 I had 289 miles. My quads literally fell off on the way up 15th Street. Yes, literally.

If I decide to go in to work tomorrow, I think I will do only the ride in (downhill) at about 6mph on CaBi then Metro home.

On the bright side, I'm having a great time and really enjoying the competition, even if we're not quite up there with the top teams. We do own Bacon (Hains) Point.

guga31bb
02-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Man. 51 straight days, 502 miles. By comparison, on this date in 2013 I had 289 miles.

I've definitely ridden a lot more this year, too:

http://i.imgur.com/TgBbw3y.png

DismalScientist
02-20-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm over 200 miles off last years pace. :(

vvill
02-20-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm over 200 miles off last years pace. :(

We're all waiting for your commute via WV!

I'm at less than 50% of last year's pace mileage wise, but I'm fine with that as I'm not a captain this year. And actually I'm still above my estimated weekly mileage, whilst still increasing it gradually so I can ride in good health and for longer come spring/summer. No crashes either, which is good given the weather we've had.

KelOnWheels
02-20-2014, 06:21 PM
I've ridden a whopping 72.6 miles this year.

This time last year I was at 338 :P

hozn
02-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I have ridden a fraction of last year's miles (less than 50% I am sure), but feel great about it (that is why I am on the slacker team / not really playing this game!). Somehow I have managed to lose 8 lbs despite the reduced riding, so this should pay off as I start increasing the mileage. On the whole, I am probably in better shape; by this time last year my body was feeling pretty worn out.

dasgeh
02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
This time last year I was on maternity leave. So I've ridden infinitely more so far this year than by this time last year!

ShawnoftheDread
02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm way down from last year too, but I've managed to ride everyday at least.

dkel
02-20-2014, 09:14 PM
I wasn't riding at all this time last year. I did make a deal with myself in September when I got into the commuting routine, that I would try to ride through the winter, and BAFS has not only helped me to realize that goal, but also to exceed my own expectations thoroughly: I've ridden every day this calendar year, often in conditions I would have likely avoided otherwise, and I've had no problems and enjoyed myself tremendously. My average mileage is %130 what I estimated it would be, and I'm having so much fun, and I've learned so much about cycling, that it will no doubt stay that way or increase after winter is over. Thanks, BAFS, and thanks, bikearlingtonforum!

cvcalhoun
02-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Before I started BAFS, I was riding twice a week, for a total of 30 miles a week. Since BAFS began, I've ridden every day, for a total of over 60 miles a week. I had lost 8 lbs. in the year preceding BAFS; I've lost 11 lbs. (with no changes in diet) since BAFS began. Being on the winning team is just a bonus!

consularrider
02-21-2014, 07:44 AM
... Being on the winning team is just a bonus!
Don't get cocky yet, we've still got four weeks to go. ;)

vvill
02-21-2014, 08:15 AM

Yes, beware the wrath of DismalScientist.

cvcalhoun
02-21-2014, 09:02 PM
True. But even if someone manages to pull ahead of our team, I don't think they'll find a way to reattach that 11 lbs.

Greenbelt
02-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Team francophone within 100 points of the sloppies this morning. Just saying.

Slackers still comfortably off the back.

vvill
02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Yeah I'm not sure who I'd put my money on at this point.

"mais Srement" sounds ominous. "Sloppy Seconds" too, in a different way. But what's in a name?

KayakCyndi
02-24-2014, 09:33 AM

Shhhh .... we're trying to be sneaky!

dasgeh
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
I suspect the sleaze ride cut off isn't working properly. On Saturday, I forgot to Strava my first ride. My second ride, which I did Strava, was only 0.5 miles. Before I manually entered the first ride, I saw that BAFS was counting me as having ridden 55 days, but I think without going over a mile, Saturday should have counted. Does that make sense?

Thanks

hozn
02-24-2014, 10:29 AM
I suspect the sleaze ride cut off isn't working properly. On Saturday, I forgot to Strava my first ride. My second ride, which I did Strava, was only 0.5 miles. Before I manually entered the first ride, I saw that BAFS was counting me as having ridden 55 days, but I think without going over a mile, Saturday should have counted. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Days ridden does not care how far you ride, just that you have ridden on that day. So you can still have perfect participation by riding 0.5 miles a day, but you won't have been doing much for the team (you will have only gotten 0.5 points per day).

Steve O
02-24-2014, 11:10 AM

But don't count out the Busters to fall below them!

consularrider
02-24-2014, 12:15 PM

They're just drafting making us do all the work.

culimerc
02-24-2014, 12:48 PM

We're not off the back, we're riding sweeper.

jrenaut
02-25-2014, 08:28 AM
I had a dream about Freezing Saddles last night. In the dream, I was on vacation somewhere and wanted to get a ride in, but the trail kept getting more and more crowded and eventually turned into basically a mountain hiking trail. So I left my bike and ran the rest of the way until I went up a big hill and came out in some tropical resort. I distinctly remember ending my "ride" on the Strava Android app and then thinking, "crap, that was a ride/run, I'm going to get yelled at on the forum". Then I woke up. I find this mildly disturbing.

kwarkentien
02-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Watch out world! Team 3 is on the crawl up towards the top. #LentementMaisSurement #FrenchTeamRules

Steve O
02-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Watch out world! Team 3 is on the crawl up towards the top. #LentementMaisSurement #FrenchTeamRules
And the BB's are only 4350 points back of that! Think I'll just do a quick ride across the US to move us into 4th place.

jrenaut
03-05-2014, 01:01 PM
I see we have a new team in front. With currently just one point separating the top two teams, I think the last few days of the competition are going to get very interesting.

Mikey
03-05-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks
If you ride exactly a mile but enter it manually enter it as 1.001 since 1.00 mi is converted to meters then back to miles as .9999 miles and only gets you 1 vs 11 pts. But the best part of manual entry is you can always go back and fix it.

hozn
03-05-2014, 01:36 PM
If you ride exactly a mile but enter it manually enter it as 1.001 since 1.00 mi is converted to meters then back to miles as .9999 miles and only gets you 1 vs 11 pts. But the best part of manual entry is you can always go back and fix it.

Hey, I fixed this [back when it was first reported]. 1.0 = 1.0 now :)

Mikey
03-05-2014, 02:23 PM
so I don't have to roll the additional 28 feet?

hozn
03-05-2014, 02:32 PM
You do not. We round the values so that we do not add precision that was not there in Strava when converting.

jrenaut
03-05-2014, 02:51 PM
so I don't have to roll the additional 28 feet?
Rule 5 says you do, no matter what hozn says.

peterw_diy
03-05-2014, 07:18 PM
jrenault, I like the yellow warning highlights now showing on the Ride Days view for folks who've logged N - 1 days. Nice touch.

jrenaut
03-05-2014, 08:25 PM
jrenault, I like the yellow warning highlights now showing on the Ride Days view for folks who've logged N - 1 days. Nice touch.
Thanks. The query's not smart enough to really tell you you'd better ride today - for example, if you've ridden every day but not yesterday, after your ride today you'd be yellow. But it gives a better idea.

dasgeh
03-06-2014, 10:47 AM
#kidical leader board... paging the #kidical leader board

(Seriously, though, I'm going to make a plea for nice prizes, and it would help to be able to point to it online...)

Thanks!

hozn
03-06-2014, 05:53 PM
#kidical leader board... paging the #kidical leader board

(Seriously, though, I'm going to make a plea for nice prizes, and it would help to be able to point to it online...)

Thanks!

Sorry, I am behind! :) I will try to get something up by the end of the weekend.

hozn
03-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Kidical leaderboard is up. I added this under the "individual various" leaderboard. http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various

Terpfan
03-12-2014, 08:02 AM
I started laughing reading the top 20 rankings. You know you have a crappy bike when you place high in time on the saddle and elevation gain, but not in speed or points. Yay for pts after sunset too.

dasgeh
03-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Kidical leaderboard is up. I added this under the "individual various" leaderboard. http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various

This is awesome. Thank you.

Would it be hard to do miles v. rides? Just curious, really (plus, I often will just pause when I get where I'm going with the kids, then continue the ride to go home, so 1 ride when it could have been 2)

jrenaut
03-12-2014, 10:48 AM

Would it be hard to do miles v. rides? Just curious, really (plus, I often will just pause when I get where I'm going with the kids, then continue the ride to go home, so 1 ride when it could have been 2)
I'd agree - My 4 kidical rides were really just one with a bunch of stops.

cvcalhoun
03-12-2014, 02:24 PM
It could be worse. I am totally crushing the "Tortoise" category!

I started laughing reading the top 20 rankings. You know you have a crappy bike when you place high in time on the saddle and elevation gain, but not in speed or points. Yay for pts after sunset too.

Rod Smith
03-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Time is the saddle is the truest measure of cycling performance.

cyclingfool
03-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Time is the saddle is the truest measure of cycling performance.

Then I'm a top quintile BAFS performer, though probably only by that measure. :)

peterw_diy
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I'd agree - My 4 kidical rides were really just one with a bunch of stops.
Yeah, I feel confident that I wouldn't be in the top 3 if we went by miles. My rule of thumb is that I call it a ride if I lock/park the bike. Grocery store run = 2 rides. Compost dropoff with just a kickstand stop = 1 ride.

Shameless plug: my 6yo daughter will be crushed if we completely switch to miles. I've been telling her all along that I'm near the bottom of my team for points despite riding every day, and everyone for speed, so she was thrilled to see the Kidical chart! So please at least leave the ride count Kidical chart available even if you switch the prize competition to distance.

hozn
03-13-2014, 12:23 AM

We could do miles, but my case is probably an example of the complexity there: I ride 13.5 miles from work and then pick up my son and ride the 2.5 miles home but I don't split those in two rides. (I could retroactively split these, I suppose, to not skew data if you want to do miles instead.)

That said, I would probably not break a single outing into multiple rides; the ride to park and then later home i consider a single cycling activity. But I wouldn't know exactly where to draw the line (my commute I consider two activities, after all). peter_diy's rule seems at least consistent. And of course this is a pointless prize! :)

jrenaut
03-14-2014, 10:25 AM
In case anyone else is having this issue - I updated the Strava Android app on my phone this morning, and the FreezingSaddles website hasn't picked up my rides since then. I tried re-authorizing the app and that didn't help (though it dropped my last initial for some reason). Anyway, just wanted to let people know that this is happening and hozn and I are aware and I imagine he will fix it.

Amalitza
03-14-2014, 10:35 AM
In case anyone else is having this issue - I updated the Strava Android app on my phone this morning, and the FreezingSaddles website hasn't picked up my rides since then. I tried re-authorizing the app and that didn't help (though it dropped my last initial for some reason). Anyway, just wanted to let people know that this is happening and hozn and I are aware and I imagine he will fix it.

In case additional information helps troubleshoot, my rides also not being seen in FS since last night and include ride 1) uploaded to strava from my computer after being recorded by other app, 2) directly recorded on strava iphone app and 3) manually created just to see if that would work when I noticed the others not showing up. Not sure how all those would be related to an app update, but the problem *did* start after iphone automatically upgraded app last night.

hozn
03-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks for follow-up. I think this may be a coincidence that the app just updated. I believe the problem is due to an issue with one of the rides. (It looks like someone started to add a manual ride but didn't add any elapsed time or distance, and while this ride is gone when you try to view it in the web it's being returned as a ride from the API.) Anyway, it may be that the failure to process this one ride is causing the script to bail out early instead of proceeding to process subsquent athlete's rides. An oversight in proper error handling / failure isolation on my part. I should be able to fix shortly.

Steve O
03-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I just use a Garmin and have made no changes of any kind. The ride I uploaded yesterday has not been picked up by the FS web site.
http://www.strava.com/activities/120401319

jrenaut
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
I know Dismal and vvill are getting their rides picked up because both are on the "ride every day chart". So it's not an across-the-board problem.

jrenaut
03-14-2014, 12:05 PM
And it's fixed for me, as well as many of you, it appears. If your rides still aren't showing up, let us know. Otherwise, let's all remember that hozn is awesome and no one tell his boss he was doing this during the work day.

hozn
03-14-2014, 12:22 PM
And it's fixed for me, as well as many of you, it appears. If your rides still aren't showing up, let us know. Otherwise, let's all remember that hozn is awesome and no one tell his boss he was doing this during the work day.

Glad it's fixed. It's ok; I couldn't use company resources to fix it anyway, so had to SSH through my phone :) It was tantamount to taking a personal call.

jrenaut
03-14-2014, 12:24 PM
...had to SSH through my phone...
Having done this before, I can attest to the dedication to Freezing Saddles that this entails.

dkel
03-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Friday, quarter to 5 p.m., and I'm done with this work biz. I just had a small amount of tepid coffee and a bag of Breakfast Trek Mix, and Im going to try and stretch my 7.5 mi commute into an 11 mi ride. Is anyone else tired? I'm dog tired, and trying to make this my highest mileage week ever; I think I'll make it, too, but I'm blasted!

vvill
03-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Friday, quarter to 5 p.m., and I'm done with this work biz. I just had a small amount of tepid coffee and a bag of Breakfast Trek Mix, and Im going to try and stretch my 7.5 mi commute into an 11 mi ride. Is anyone else tired? I'm dog tired, and trying to make this my highest mileage week ever; I think I'll make it, too, but I'm blasted!

Me, but I'm always tired. I have been watching my mileage and the general toll on my body much more than usual this year though, and so far it's working pretty well.

KelOnWheels
03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Friday, quarter to 5 p.m., and I'm done with this work biz. I just had a small amount of tepid coffee and a bag of Breakfast Trek Mix™, and I’m going to try and stretch my 7.5 mi commute into an 11 mi ride. Is anyone else tired? I'm dog tired, and trying to make this my highest mileage week ever; I think I'll make it, too, but I'm blasted!

I'm stuck at work til 8 and so tired I'm not even looking forward to the ride home :P WHAT IS UP WITH THAT.

dkel
03-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Im going to try and stretch my 7.5 mi commute into an 11 mi ride. I'm dog tired, and trying to make this my highest mileage week ever; I think I'll make it, too, but I'm blasted!

In spite of being crazy tired at work, I had a vigorous, windy ride home: 14.6 mph average (which is pretty good for me!), and I stretched it to 11.7 miles! Lesson learned? It's WORK that makes me tired, NOT cycling! Ha! In your face, work!

KelOnWheels
03-14-2014, 05:55 PM
In spite of being crazy tired at work, I had a vigorous, windy ride home: 14.6 mph average (which is pretty good for me!), and I stretched it to 11.7 miles! Lesson learned? It's WORK that makes me tired, NOT cycling! Ha! In your face, work!

It's totally true. I'll feel all better once I'm on the bike. :)

Arlingtonrider
03-14-2014, 06:46 PM
I did. I just took it easy. The ride home wasn't half as bad as I expected it to be. I think we're all just tired. Wishing you a good ride home. The winds weren't bad.

oldbikechick
03-14-2014, 08:10 PM

So many times I've been dead tired at the end of the day, thought I was coming down with something, considered taking metro, etc. Then, as soon as I get on the bike, get a little fresh air and get the blood pumping, it's all better! Yet another good reason to commute by bike. Now if the darn snow, ice and wind would just lay off a little.

americancyclo
03-14-2014, 10:40 PM
The ride home today definitely wasn't as bad as yesterday, but I was also on a much lighter bike and the winds were less too. Took 20 min less today. Definitely pushing myself trying for 150 miles this week instead of my usual 90

rcannon100
03-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Fun fact: If your team biked its handicap, your final score would be ~13,750.

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/1/2/0/9/1331297473939149338Spring%20is%20Here%20Green.svg. hi.png

KayakCyndi
03-19-2014, 05:11 PM

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/1/2/0/9/1331297473939149338Spring%20is%20Here%20Green.svg. hi.png

Cycling filled with over achievers (and hyper-competitive types)!

rcannon100
03-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Cycling filled with over achievers (and hyper-competitive types)!

Actually, only half the teams are beating that benchmark. It has been one horrific winter.

http://www.abubillamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/13.04.11-Die-Winter-Die.jpg

jrenaut
03-19-2014, 06:23 PM
So, barring anything crazy in the next couple hours, Team Bacon is the most accurate. That means we win, right? That was the goal?

dkel
03-19-2014, 10:34 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm thinking I'll ride the short route into work tomorrow.

consularrider
03-20-2014, 08:38 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm thinking I'll ride the short route into work tomorrow.

Well, I rode the short route this morning, but only because I forgot to set my alarm (paging Dr. Freud?), and got up an hour and fifteen minutes later than ususal.

cvcalhoun
03-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Alas, there is no "short route" for either of the rides I have scheduled for today. I particularly noticed that after getting back from Hains Point around midnight, and having to get up again for an early morning breakfast ride. The only thing I get out of the contest being over is that I no longer need to upload to Strava. (I already upload to Garmin, so the only reason I started uploading to Strava was for the purpose of BAFS.)

rcannon100
03-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Winter comes to an end....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhvngtbIIAAfReW.jpg

hozn
03-21-2014, 02:00 AM
The only thing I get out of the contest being over is that I no longer need to upload to Strava. (I already upload to Garmin, so the only reason I started uploading to Strava was for the purpose of BAFS.)

I am sure you are aware but tapiriik.com will sync these for you automatically (for $2/year). I like the social aspect of Strava.

Rod Smith
03-21-2014, 04:31 AM
Alas, there is no "short route" for either of the rides I have scheduled for today. I particularly noticed that after getting back from Hains Point around midnight, and having to get up again for an early morning breakfast ride. The only thing I get out of the contest being over is that I no longer need to upload to Strava. (I already upload to Garmin, so the only reason I started uploading to Strava was for the purpose of BAFS.)

I started uploading to Strava for the first Freezing Saddles. I was afraid to use Strava. I thought I'd be embarrassed to reveal how slow I ride. Strava users are fast! Most segments I've ridden, even without the trailer, I'm near the bottom of the leaderboard. But I get lots of kudos anyway and that's nice. Mostly from BA folks. Thanks, y'all!

After BAFS1, I quit uploading my work days. They all look the same, it's boring. But this year I might keep uploading all my riding so I can see my avg. miles/week, get MTS badges, etc. It's kind of addicting. It's motivating too. Never really helped me get to work on time, something I'd hoped for. Not yet anyway, still hoping... :p It does help me keep a positive outlook when I get deadheaded across town, something that used to make me grumble. Now I think, "Oh boy, more miles!" :)

dasgeh
03-21-2014, 09:18 AM
I started uploading to Strava for the first Freezing Saddles. I was afraid to use Strava. I thought I'd be embarrassed to reveal how slow I ride. Strava users are fast! Most segments I've ridden, even without the trailer, I'm near the bottom of the leaderboard. But I get lots of kudos anyway and that's nice. Mostly from BA folks. Thanks, y'all!

After BAFS1, I quit uploading my work days. They all look the same, it's boring. But this year I might keep uploading all my riding so I can see my avg. miles/week, get MTS badges, etc. It's kind of addicting. It's motivating too. Never really helped me get to work on time, something I'd hoped for. Not yet anyway, still hoping... :p It does help me keep a positive outlook when I get deadheaded across town, something that used to make me grumble. Now I think, "Oh boy, more miles!" :)

But Rod, you are such an inspiration! I think it's easy to look around at cyclists and think "if I'm not fast, I'm not a real cyclist." But you, sir, are the real deal. And it gives me hope that you're not super fast. So I like seeing you on Strava.

vvill
03-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Try veloviewer.com sometime if you like seeing your Strava data. You can do a lot with it, in terms of more advanced filters, segment analyses, you can see all your "badges" on one page - and it's free and you keep your private data private if that's a concern. They even host their own Strava challenges. The only thing is it doesn't sync automatically - you have to manually trigger a data refresh.

cvcalhoun
03-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Okay, by popular demand, I am continuing to upload to Strava, at least for now. (Strava name=Carol C (http://www.strava.com/athletes/3487165).) If nothing else, it makes it clear that I still haven't gotten a rest from BAFS!

consularrider
03-21-2014, 03:37 PM
But Rod, you are such an inspiration! I think it's easy to look around at cyclists and think "if I'm not fast, I'm not a real cyclist." But you, sir, are the real deal. And it gives me hope that you're not super fast. So I like seeing you on Strava.
Rod just says he's not real fast, but that's only when he's pulling his loaded trailer. Take a road ride with him sometime and you'll see he can move with the best of them.

dkel
03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
I just had a lovely ride home: chatted with a pedestrian at the Maple Ave crossing in Vienna, had a very nice conversation with a fellow cyclist at the Gallows Rd crossing, and was planning on taking the short route home...but I couldn't help myself! I added an extra mile! When I got home, I had to stop myself from checking freezingsaddles.com to look at my points! I miss Freezing Saddles! Can we start Freezing Saddles 2015 early? Like now?

cvcalhoun
03-21-2014, 05:00 PM
I have bicycled 42.7 miles since BAFS ended--after bicycling 33.9 miles between sunset and midnight on the last day of BAFS. Apparently, I don't know when to quit! I did have to buy some potassium tablets on the way home today, though, after one morning in which the night leg cramps were so bad I took 5 minutes to subdue them enough to get out of bed.

vvill
03-21-2014, 06:04 PM
I made it a point this year to not ride the day after FS ended, otherwise I would be tallying my "days ridden in a row" - which is really cool but when you actually need a rest day it's nice to not have to think about such numbers.

I just had a lovely ride home: chatted with a pedestrian at the Maple Ave crossing in Vienna, had a very nice conversation with a fellow cyclist at the Gallows Rd crossing, and was planning on taking the short route home...but I couldn't help myself! I added an extra mile! When I got home, I had to stop myself from checking freezingsaddles.com to look at my points! I miss Freezing Saddles! Can we start Freezing Saddles 2015 early? Like now?

There's always the National Bike Challenge! Similar scoring system.

Rod just says he's not real fast, but that's only when he's pulling his loaded trailer. Take a road ride with him sometime and you'll see he can move with the best of them.

Yep, I've done one of the gravel rides with him... I was pretty tired by the end. The difference was though he rode out there and back as well.

Rod Smith
03-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Whadda ya mean Frezzing Saddles is over? Why no one tell me? http://www.strava.com/activities/122741780

Rod Smith
03-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words. You guys are so nice. Love this group.