PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Derby changing into the Crystal City Phoenix Derby and moving to May

PotomacCyclist
12-03-2013, 09:18 AM
The Crystal City BID and Phoenix Bikes announced the changes to the event today. The new date is May 17, 2014, as part of Bike to Work Week and National Bike Month. The wacky indoor urban cyclocross events will remain the same (although the costumes may change). Even though the event will no longer take place near Halloween, people can still ride and dress up as Mario, Wonder Woman, ninjas or Blue Man Group.

Here are the details from the press release:

Phoenix Bikes Takes the Crystal City Diamond Derby

Garage Race Deepens Community Connection and Support

Arlington, VA — Crystal City’s signature urban cyclo-cross bicycle race, the Diamond Derby, is evolving into the Crystal City Phoenix Derby – A Garage Race and Fundraiser. In a partnership between the Crystal City Business Improvement District (BID), Vornado/Charles E. Smith, and Phoenix Bikes, the Crystal City Phoenix Derby will debut during National Bike Month and bookend the area’s popular Bike to Work Week on Saturday, May 17th, 2014.

The Phoenix Derby will transform one of Crystal City’s underground parking garages into a dynamic, urban cyclo-cross race course and spectator event replete with an energy-filled lounge with music and a bar. Admission is free for spectators, but registration is required to participate in the races which include a speed race in the Cyclo-cross format, team relay, courier-inspired race with checkpoints and obstacles, and a children’s race. Registration will officially open in January 2014.

“The Derby is a creative way to show off Crystal City’s accessibility for bicycles and cars – by highlighting the area’s often overlooked parking assets,” said Angela Fox, President/CEO of the Crystal City BID. "We are excited about the evolution into the Phoenix Derby and its ability to support this amazing Arlington-based nonprofit organization.”

In addition to producing and managing the event, Phoenix Bikes will be the sole beneficiary of funds raised at the event through sponsorships and race registrations, and other possible activities. Phoenix Bikes is currently in the midst of a major capital campaign to raise funds to support the construction of a permanent home along the W&OD multi-use trail at Walter Reed Drive. Phoenix Bikes focuses on better preparing local youth for the future by teaching them real-world skills and education through the use of bike repair, mechanics, and sales.

"The entire Phoenix Bikes family is grateful for the opportunity to help grow this event,” said Henry Dunbar, Executive Director of Phoenix Bikes. "By partnering with the Crystal City BID, we feel we can not only showcase our organization, but also help make this a premiere cycling event for Arlington and the greater Washington bike community.”

The new Phoenix Derby partnership expands on existing collaborations between the Crystal City BID and Phoenix Bikes including the hosting of their Annual Bike Show for the past two years, this October’s unveiling of the Fixtation, and the hosting of the Arlington Fun Ride. For additional information on Crystal City and other Crystal Ride programming, visit www.crystalcity.org.

###

About the Crystal City Business Improvement District
The Crystal City Business Improvement District (BID) is a public-private partnership established in April 2006 to promote the vibrant Crystal City business, retail, restaurant and residential community. The BID is committed to showcasing the area as a world-class destination for visitors, employees and residents. Crystal City is ACTIVE, ARTFUL, ACCESSIBLE, and GREEN. For more information, visit www.crystalcity.org.

About Phoenix Bikes
Phoenix Bikes has supported local youth in the DC Metro area since 2007 – providing a safe, nurturing and educational environment that reinforces teamwork, hard work, and entrepreneurship through bike maintenance and education programs. Local youth are invited to participate in bike refurbishment and retail operations as they contribute to the daily operations of the Phoenix Bikes retail location in the Barcroft Park section of Arlington, VA, leaving with both tangible mechanic and social entrepreneurship skills. For more information, visit www.phoenixbikes.org.

PotomacCyclist
12-03-2013, 09:22 AM
One change that I would suggest: a wider variety of bike sizes for the Goldsprints. The bike trainer sprints are fun, but not really efficient if you aren't within a certain height. It was difficult to pedal on the bikes for some, including the kids who tried it out. (The bikes were also difficult for the kids to climb on and off. I saw one girl fall over with the bike after she finished her sprint. Fortunately she wasn't seriously injured.)

I know the Goldsprints were run by a separate sponsoring company, but maybe the official organizers can suggest that they include some smaller bikes for next year's edition (if the Goldsprints return).

jopamora
12-03-2013, 09:40 AM
One change that I would suggest: a wider variety of bike sizes for the Goldsprints. The bike trainer sprints are fun, but not really efficient if you aren't within a certain height. It was difficult to pedal on the bikes for some, including the kids who tried it out. (The bikes were also difficult for the kids to climb on and off. I saw one girl fall over with the bike after she finished her sprint. Fortunately she wasn't seriously injured.)

I know the Goldsprints were run by a separate sponsoring company, but maybe the official organizers can suggest that they include some smaller bikes for next year's edition (if the Goldsprints return).

Um, can we make Tim ride the smaller bike?

Tim Kelley
12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Um, can we make Tim ride the smaller bike?

Pretty sure they were both about a 54 or 56, although I think one had a longer seat post.

Didn't matter, still won.

PotomacCyclist
12-03-2013, 10:55 AM
I think he meant a smaller bike next year, maybe a kid-sized one.

I tried the sprint this year but I couldn't sit on the seat. So I had to stand the entire time I tried to sprint. That didn't really work too well.

jopamora
12-03-2013, 11:25 AM

I tried the sprint this year but I couldn't sit on the seat. So I had to stand the entire time I tried to sprint. That didn't really work too well.

Did they change the seat height for you? Tim understood what I meant, but he had to gloat about his victory. :)

PotomacCyclist
12-03-2013, 11:30 AM
They didn't adjust the seat. But given the size of the bikes, that wouldn't have made much of a difference. The bike was just too big for me. I could muddle through a 60-second (attempted) sprint, but I could have never ridden those bikes on a real ride.

The bikes were also far too big for all of the kids that I saw on them.

I probably wouldn't have won, but I would have been far more competitive in the standings if I hadn't been stand-pedaling. That's no way to live.

Tim Kelley
12-03-2013, 11:53 AM

My problem was the other direction, I could have used a 62 or 64!

Besides, a kid-sized bike wouldn't really slow me down anyway....

Tim Kelley
12-03-2013, 11:54 AM
They didn't adjust the seat. But given the size of the bikes, that wouldn't have made much of a difference. The bike was just too big for me. I could muddle through a 60-second (attempted) sprint, but I could have never ridden those bikes on a real ride.

The bikes were also far too big for all of the kids that I saw on them.

I probably wouldn't have won, but I would have been far more competitive in the standings if I hadn't been stand-pedaling. That's no way to live.

They adjusted the seats if you asked them to. ;)