PDA

View Full Version : WABA cider ride - Dec 7

KLizotte
12-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Reminder to all about this Saturday's cider ride:

http://www.waba.org/blog/2013/11/register-now-for-our-first-ever-cider-ride/

bobco85
12-02-2013, 07:24 AM
I am signed up and plan on going! Hopefully by Saturday I will be over the cold I got this weekend.

ejwillis62
12-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I saw rain in Saturday's forecast, I will be so sad. Will they still have it if it rains?

consularrider
12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
It's supposed to be a rain or shine, warm or cold event.

"REFUNDS?
There are no refunds, exchanges, or transfers available for the Cider Ride. It is a rain or shine event. In the event of inclement weather (snow or ice), the event will be canceled for safety reasons. We will not refund your registration fee: Consider it a gracious donation to WABA’s year-round work to improve bicycling in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia."

FYI, I'm a bike marshal for the Honeycrisp route (60 miles). This ride may test my new Endura bib tights that are supposed to be waterproof.

ejwillis62
12-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I am pretty wimpy with cold and do not know if I could do a rainy ride. but we shall see, I love cider. But it might need to be spiked. :)
During my last cold I had cinnamon whiskey and cider it was very good.

consularrider
12-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I am pretty wimpy with cold and do not know if I could do a rainy ride. but we shall see, I love cider. But it might need to be spiked. :)
During my last cold I had cinnamon whiskey and cider it was very good.
Jacks Hard Cider is on the menu at Park Tavern for the after ride event. Of course, that's served cold. ;)

consularrider
12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Current extended forecasts have reduced the probability of rain for Saturday, so keep your fingers crossed.

KelOnWheels
12-02-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm signed up for the Honeycrisp :) I figure if I drink enough cider I won't notice the 60 miles. :D

consularrider
12-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm signed up for the Honeycrisp :) I figure if I drink enough cider I won't notice the 60 miles. :D
I don't think you don't get the hard stuff until after the ride. ;)

ejwillis62
12-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I signed up for the 60 too but will have to see how I feel that day. Seems a lot of people/ (WABA women riders, on the other site I am on) are doing the shorter routes. i don't want to be out to long and miss the after party. I am still debating the distance and if it rains, I will not be out there. :)

KelOnWheels
12-02-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't think you don't get the hard stuff until after the ride. ;)

I don't think I don't get the hard stuff till after the ride too. :D That's what flask holders are for!

consularrider
12-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Depending on your speed, you may finish with or before the 40 milers since you have a 90 minute head start. I still haven't gotten my route map, so I don't know where the two routes differ to get the extra milage.

jopamora
12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Current extended forecasts have reduced the probability of rain for Saturday, so keep your fingers crossed.

Crap, I was looking forward to whining the entire time.

FeltZ85
12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Any clue how flat or not flat this ride is? I signed up for the long one, but may switch.

Greenbelt
12-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Any clue how flat or not flat this ride is? I signed up for the long one, but may switch.

Don't know the route and am not associated with the ride, so take my comments with appropriate skepticism...

Northern/Central Prince George's county is pretty flat, with small rolling hills with 20 or 30ft elevation gains common, but not a lot of long grinding climbs with significant elevation. I mapped a ride from College Park to Bowie area a while back and got the following elevation profile: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2332247

Some short punchy climbs, but nothing long in that route.

There might be some climbs out of DC to the east, however, that I'm just not familiar with. I ride the College Park to Hyattsville to Met Branch corridor, which has a little elevation change, but not bad. I sort of doubt this ride would go so far north to get to Bowie, but I don't know...

GB
12-04-2013, 01:28 PM

If you're riding a Felt Z85 I think rule V applies*. (*Rule V always applies, but special dispensation may have been granted if you were hauling a Big Dummy or the like). Rule 6 may also be applicable here, but it's not nearly as fun to invoke.

In all honesty though it's a family group ride, it can't be that bad.

consularrider
12-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm still waiting on my marshal route information, so I haven't seen the route. I have ridden out from the area of Canal Park in SE to Queen Anne Farm (via New Carrolton). Here is the Strava link (http://www.strava.com/activities/42156773) for that ride. Look at miles 12 to 38, ignoring the elevation spike around mile 25. Clearly there are a few climbs in the area, but I make no representation that the routing will be anything like this. :D

The Honeycrisp (60 mile) route is going to be a little confusing if you haven't ridden in the area and you better be comfortable riding on city and suburban streets. It first goes south over the 11th Street Bridge path. There no image on google maps which shows the bike route over the MLK Bridge,and I've never driven over the new setup and have no idea what is actually there now. There is then a good climb up Good Hope Rd SE (260 feet in 1.3 miles). After that there are lots of rollers, some worse than others. When you get back to DC after a loop around FedEx field, you have a climb up Southern Ave SE.

Rod Smith
12-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Kinda wanted to do the longer ride, duh, but decided to volunteer as a ride marshall, and they needed marshalls for the MacIntosh 40 miler, so I'm doing that. :)

KelOnWheels
12-05-2013, 11:20 AM
The Honeycrisp (60 mile) route is going to be a little confusing if you haven't ridden in the area and you better be comfortable riding on city and suburban streets. It first goes south over the 11th Street Bridge path. There no image on google maps which shows the bike route over the MLK Bridge,and I've never driven over the new setup and have no idea what is actually there now. There is then a good climb up Good Hope Rd SE (260 feet in 1.3 miles). After that there are lots of rollers, some worse than others. When you get back to DC after a loop around FedEx field, you have a climb up Southern Ave SE.

I'm signed up for Honeycrisp. Not loving that elevation profile. :D

consularrider
12-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm signed up for Honeycrisp. Not loving that elevation profile. :D
At least WABA has been honest about the hills for this ride. Now I just hope that the rain ends and so I bring my road bike.

jopamora
12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
I am considering veering off for Wegmans around mile 45 for lunch. Anyone have a better option?

JimF22003
12-06-2013, 05:58 AM
What's the best bike route to the ride start from the end of 14th St Bridge Crossing (i.e. Jefferson Memorial.)

I haven't ridden that part of town at all.

bobco85
12-06-2013, 07:53 AM
What's the best bike route to the ride start from the end of 14th St Bridge Crossing (i.e. Jefferson Memorial.)

I haven't ridden that part of town at all.

Since it's going to be early Saturday morning (little to no traffic), I think this is the most direct bike-friendly route (I will be using this route): http://goo.gl/maps/zyokH

If you're looking for a route that avoids most traffic, this incorporates the route I typically take to get to the Navy Yard area (ballpark, Anacostia River Trail, etc.): http://goo.gl/maps/jVKjp

JimF22003
12-06-2013, 08:08 AM
thx! I don't care about minimizing traffic so much. I just don't want to get stuck going the wrong way on a one-way street wandering around like a befuddled tourist :)

consularrider
12-06-2013, 09:31 AM
If traffic is not an issue, I just ride the sidewalk around the Jefferson Memorial to Maine to M which goes directly to the park.

KelOnWheels
12-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I am considering veering off for Wegmans around mile 45 for lunch. Anyone have a better option?

Yeah, I thought there was going to be a list? Or do we get that tomorrow?