PDA

View Full Version : Post pics of your injuries

dcv
11-29-2013, 11:16 AM
So not to be too gross. Has this happened to anyone? I crashed riding over big logs on singletrack last weekend, nothing major - skinned my knee. Rode to work as usual, 3 days later my knee starts to hurt. Did a long ride yesterday and my knee hurt more and noticed last night it looked bruised, even though it wasn't before. I don't think it's a bruise due to the delayed reaction.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/vng2327/bike%20posts/20131129_114851_zps8866b396.jpg

I know I should go see a doctor, just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience.

Also making a thread to post injuries, PeteD do you want to go next? Hope you're healing up.

KLizotte
11-29-2013, 12:09 PM
I'd google "delayed bruising after injury". Could be a hairline fracture or simply a deep soft tissue injury (the blood takes a while to reach the surface). I'd certainly apply ice for the next few days.

FYI: When I had to go to urgent care to x-ray my hand it didn't cost much; the insurance picked up most of the cost (I suspect it is because they don't want folks going to the emergency room if they don't have to).

ronwalf
11-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Dunno, this one didn't even bruise:

Heal up!

rcannon100
11-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Dont mess with knees; go see an expert. There is a sports doc in Arlco that we use if you want me to dig up the name.

Raymo853
11-29-2013, 01:36 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/30/y9y4eve6.jpg

After running into a thorny tree on the trail in Fort Totten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

PeteD
11-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Brunt of my energy was stopped by my shoulder. Luckily it's just scraped.

Skull was saved by my helmet. I had a couple bruises shaped just like my helmet.

Lower back is still in some pain. I did have some nice bruising on my back where my Topeak Road Morph G got destroyed by my landing on it as well.

--Pete

Brent
11-29-2013, 04:30 PM
My father-in-law had a similar situation after scraping his knee playing tennis. He waited to get it checked out, and ended up with a pretty bad staph infection.

KLizotte
11-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Ouch Pete! Glad it wasn't worse. Hopefully you won't wake up to any add'l pains tomorrow. I suppose having lots of winter layers must have helped.

Ouchie Raymo! At least you were color coordinated. Good thing you were wearing glasses (which are really cool looking btw).

Heal up quickly guys!

Dirt
11-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Frankenfinger
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8063/8225082602_68b5eee607_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5453/8898117893_a8ab0ee2d0_b.jpg
Frankenfinger meets her sister from Idaho.

Frankenfinger still has a lot of nerve damage, but she works almost as well as a human finger does. She just talks back now and then.

Heal up quickly y'all.

dcv
11-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Frankenfinger
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8063/8225082602_68b5eee607_o.jpg

Did it get caught in a fixie chain?

Riley Casey
11-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Ghouls,yer'all just ghouls. Mine does not include any loss of blood so probably doesn't qualify.

OneEighth
11-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Star nuts and carbon steerers do not mix.

dcv
11-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Star nuts and carbon steerers do not mix.

What happened? Did the steerer tube crack / collapse? Without a compression plug as back up I suspect the stem clamping force could crack the steerer. Was it catastrophic failure? Nasty.

OneEighth
11-30-2013, 09:14 AM
It was a catastrophic failure just below the stem while I was out of the saddle and using the bars for leverage. I think the steerer was weakened when the original nut was damaged and had to be hammered down to make room for a replacement.
That was the last time I let someone else work on my forks.
Mind you, the bike was a 2005 when not everyone was using compression plugs. The bike was also shifty, which just has to have been part of the problem...
My current carbon fork is an Easton that doesn't require a compression plug---the steerer is threaded inside and you simply spin in the anchor nut. Love it.

Dirt
11-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Did it get caught in a fixie chain?
Yup. I am normally super careful and was just taking a few shortcuts while working one night and paid the price.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8209/8225082654_7014a7e67e_b.jpg
She's famous. :D

Brent
11-30-2013, 10:11 AM
In 2002, during college, I had a crappy "mountain bike" from a big box store so I wouldn't care if it got stolen around campus.

I was crossing the street on campus on my way to class, hopped my front wheel up onto the curb, and BAM, front wheel falls off.

I went over the handlebars and landed square on my chin, thus earning the ubiquitous chin scar that everyone has.

While I'm sitting there spewing blood all over (there was still a large blood stain on the sidewalk years later when I finally graduated), I realized that there were pieces of something in my mouth. I started spitting out what I found were pieces of my teeth. Ended up needing to replace parts of 8 molars (I had a good dentist; I have only had to replace one since then).

People stopped to help. One person ran to the nearest building to get paper towels, I handed my cell phone to another saying "call 911", and a friend came by to take my backpack and bike back to the dorm.

Right when it happened, a campus police office drove by, stopped his car, made eye contact, and drove on. Although the situation was under control, I still filed a complaint that he didn't do his job by stopping to check on me. Apparently the whole thing was seen on a security camera (stupid campus policy wouldn't let me have a copy of my crash), and he was canned pretty quickly.

The ER doc thought I might have cracked my jaw, but luckily it was fine. I did need a bunch of stitches in my chin, joining the chin scar club.

I also left the hospital with the phone number of the cute receptionist (I had game even missing 8 teeth and spewing blood out of my chin), but that didn't go anywhere.

However, there was another girl that I had been seeing off and on, and she would come over to help take care of me while I was on pain meds and a partial liquid diet until my teeth were fixed. That girl and I have now been married for 5 years!

vvill
11-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Only pic I have is the collarbone (http://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/977945_709222018421_1718968762_o.jpg), from May this year. Last year I only went over the bars once and was almost totally fine. I have a nice road rash scar from a 2011 crash but no pics, or xrays of the elbow break.

My son just broke his femur two days ago though, with no bike involved. :( :rolleyes: Spica cast. Totally showed me up.

ShawnoftheDread
11-30-2013, 02:13 PM
42 years without a broken bone or stitches (ER has taped up some cuts a couple of times though), so I think my number's going to be up soon.

dcv
11-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Only pic I have is the collarbone (http://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/977945_709222018421_1718968762_o.jpg), from May this year. Last year I only went over the bars once and was almost totally fine. I have a nice road rash scar from a 2011 crash but no pics, or xrays of the elbow break.

My son just broke his femur two days ago though, with no bike involved. :( :rolleyes: Spica cast. Totally showed me up.

Sorry to hear about your son, how'd he break his leg? Hope he heals quick.

OneEighth
11-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Wishing your boy all the best. Hard bone to break, the femur.

KLizotte
11-30-2013, 11:35 PM
42 years without a broken bone or stitches (ER has taped up some cuts a couple of times though), so I think my number's going to be up soon.

You're a freak. :p

KLizotte
11-30-2013, 11:36 PM
vvill, so sorry to hear about your son. Wow, a spica cast is really rough; fortunately kids tend to heal much faster than adults so hopefully he'll be out of the cast real soon. Best wishes.

vvill
12-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your son, how'd he break his leg? Hope he heals quick.

Thrown off the top of an extremely dodgy piece of playground equipment (not ours). It could be considered fortunate he wasn't otherwise injured but we're not trying to re-live what happened too much.

But yeah, I probably won't be around on the bike much obviously, a spica cast is like having your kid in diapers again... we're expecting 9-10 weeks. Might have to set up my trainer (again!). Thanks guys.

Brent
12-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Thrown off the top of an extremely dodgy piece of playground equipment (not ours). It could be considered fortunate he wasn't otherwise injured but we're not trying to re-live what happened too much.

But yeah, I probably won't be around on the bike much obviously, a spica cast is like having your kid in diapers again... we're expecting 9-10 weeks. Might have to set up my trainer (again!). Thanks guys.

At 19 months old, a dodgy piece of playground equipment (the orange and blue little tykes slide that everyone had) decided to snap my femur in half too. Of course having a full length leg cast was like being in diapers because, well, I was still in them. :-)

Good luck! I hope it heals as well as mine did (to this day the only remnants are pictures of a 19 month old in diapers running around in a full leg cast).

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

vvill
12-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks Brent. Yeah the doc says if it goes to plan, by the time he's an adult you won't be able to tell he'd ever broken it.

Dickie
12-01-2013, 10:13 AM
vvill, wishing your son all the best and a speedy recovery.
Pete - Get well brother, looks like quite a fall.. maybe buy a padded pump.... or a "Plump" next time :-)
DCV - I would get it checked, not really worth the risk. If you have a knee injury nothing good can come from continuing to work it.

I will refrain from posting my many gruesome injury pics... mostly work related, but some from the bike.... the missing end to my finger and fractured pelvic bone both made for awesome photos.

vvill
12-01-2013, 11:43 AM
I will refrain from posting my many gruesome injury pics... mostly work related, but some from the bike.... the missing end to my finger and fractured pelvic bone both made for awesome photos.

Booo. I wanna see pics! And thanks, he is doing fine so far.

Raymo853
12-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Ouchie Raymo! At least you were color coordinated. Good thing you were wearing glasses (which are really cool looking btw). !

I bought those glasses the morning this happened. For years I have not ridden with glasses, but bought those for $9 at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

eminva
12-02-2013, 08:49 AM
All right, I didn't actually read this thread, nor will I ever read it, as I did not choose a medical career for a VERY GOOD REASON, which is that I freak out at the sight of blood and guts. Therefore, if any of you ever need a referral for any type of physician (because I have one of every type), please send me a private message because I won't be seeing your post here.

And dcv, I didn't read on so I don't know the resolution, but I hope you went to the doctor about that knee.

Liz

dbb
12-02-2013, 08:56 AM
While I'm cool about blood and guts, this tread seems a bit counter to the general theme of the forum, which is to encourage cycling. I'd hope we would find a better venue to share our photos (maybe the happy hours?) so as not to suggest to the visitors here that cycling is so dangerous that even skilled cyclists bleed a lot. As a sales pitch, that one might be improved.

Just say'n

Fast Friendly Guy
05-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Saturday late afternoon coming south on 15th St. half a block from Constitution, traveling at about 15 mph between the cars stopped for the light and the vending trucks, I hit a giant pavement lump that acted like a ski lift throwing me over the handlebars. I landed hard on my right shoulder and back!! I was in agony! I hailed a cab after passers by locked what was left of my bike to a street pole, called Karen B to meet me and headed for Virginia Hospital Center

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/huqu4yja.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/2eru2uje.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/a5uta4u5.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/syde6uty.jpg

The diagnosis: cuts scrapes bruises and a dislocated shoulder. Dang! I guess this means Counsarider is going to get even further ahead of me

dcv
05-11-2014, 05:31 AM
Sorry Dave, that sucks. Did they pop the shoulder back in place? Hope you get better soon, let me know if you need any help.

jopamora
05-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Ouch! Hoping for a quick recovery and a new bike day story.

Rod Smith
05-11-2014, 06:06 AM
Sorry Dave.

Fast Friendly Guy
05-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Everyone,
Thanks for the kind words. Karen B was an angel of of mercy. Yep....the doc popped it back. Won't know what else is in store 'til I see my Ortho on Monday. Hurts like Hell, but these white pills help. Worst part is no riding; and that's rough, because I'm a rider and I like to ride.
Dave

sethpo
05-11-2014, 06:36 AM
ELITE for wearing your cycling cap in the hospital and taking/posting injury pics!

Get well soon.

JimK
05-11-2014, 07:08 AM
So sorry Dave. I'll miss seeing you on the way to work. I hope your back soon.

rcannon100
05-11-2014, 07:27 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HHPZ_09YS0o/UCx0-UVNFmI/AAAAAAAAHgs/-Ep46ty4OAA/s1600/mr-bill.jpg

Ouch, dude. OUCH!

Fast Friendly Guy
05-11-2014, 08:42 AM
ELITE for wearing your cycling cap in the hospital... Get well soon.

Yup! My new cap was on its maiden voyage when disaster struck. (and I'm wearing it now! There're a few things I can still do)

ShawnoftheDread
05-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Suck. Does the bike need to be retrieved or is that taken care of?

sjclaeys
05-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Sorry for the accident. Your smiling face in the morning will be missed by all.

cyclingfool
05-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Sux. Heal up quick.

bobco85
05-11-2014, 02:28 PM
That's terrible! I hope you heal up fully as soon as possible.

KayakCyndi
05-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Dave that is awful! So sorry. Heal up quick!

Dickie
05-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Man Dave, that so sucks. Heal up and let us know if we can do anything to help.

vvill
05-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Oh no... is the bike okay?? :D

Sorry that happened, best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Amalitza
05-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Bummer. Heal quickly.

Fast Friendly Guy
05-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Oh no... is the bike okay?? :D

Sorry that happened, best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Thanks, VVill.
Nothing that $500 bucks wouldn't fix!
(handlebars, shift/brake levers, crank bolt etc, but miraculously, wheels & frame are okay!)

Fast Friendly Guy
05-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Sorry for the accident. Your smiling face in the morning will be missed by all.

Down, but not out! For the indeterminate future you'll have to call me, "Stationary Missing Guy" ;)

Fast Friendly Guy
05-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Suck. Does the bike need to be retrieved or is that taken care of?

Shawn, a thoughtful question; thanks, no. Karen B rescued it first thing this morning. It's now at the bike hospital! It'll heal much faster than I.
Dave

consularrider
05-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks, VVill.
(handlebars, shift/brake levers, crank bolt etc, but miraculously, wheels & frame are okay!)
Which bike, and this is no excuse to miss the coffee clubs.

Oh, yeah, sorry to hear you were hurt too. Heal fast. ;)

eminva
05-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Add my voice to the chorus, get well soon, FFG. I have someone new I want to bring to HDCC and I don't want you to miss it!

Take care.

Liz

DismalScientist
05-11-2014, 06:06 PM

Sounds like a candidate for a fixie conversion. :rolleyes:
Get well soon.

Arlingtonrider
05-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Oh no!!! Just saw this and am so very, very sorry! I'll be out of town most of this coming week but please let me know if there's anything I can do for you and Karen after that. Hope you heal up fast. We'll miss seeing you on the bike, but maybe you'll join us for things you can get to by car once you're feeling a little better. Know that we're all keeping you in our thoughts!

Kathy

KLizotte
05-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Yikes! I'm late to the party on hearing of this catastrophe :( Wow, so glad you didn't hit your head. Keeping my fingers crossed the ortho says "no surgery for you" and that all it needs is time to heal. The worst part is the next seven days when inflammation is at its peak. I'm guessing Karen won't ok you buying a trike to ride?!

Do you know if the pavement lump is still there? Am wondering if it should be reported?

KelOnWheels
05-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Ouch! Heal up quick! Stupid lumpy pavements!

americancyclo
05-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Get well soon and keep us posted on the recovery?!

Fast Friendly Guy
05-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Ouch! Heal up quick! Stupid lumpy pavements!

Kel, This was the mother of all pavement lumps--a series of 3"-4" moguls in rapid succession in the S. bound curb lane of 15th St, about 100' before Constitution Ave!

Wavy pavement no doubt caused over time by zillions of cars braking on summer-softened asphalt

Fast Friendly Guy
05-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks, all! Again , it doesn't hurt so much when you know you've got great people out there who care!
(typed hunt & peck left-handed)

KLizotte
05-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Kel, This was the mother of all pavement lumps--a series of 3"-4" moguls in rapid succession in the S. bound curb lane of 15th St, about 100' before Constitution Ave!

Wavy pavement no doubt caused over time by zillions of cars braking on summer-softened asphalt

Are these moguls in the lane that touches the curb? Therefore, I am assuming the usual t-shirt trucks were not parked there (nor any tour buses)? I'm asking because I ride that stretch quite a bit and haven't encountered any such bumps but I'm always in the second from right lane due to the aforementioned parked vehicles taking up the lane.

Vicegrip
05-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Very sorry to hear about the crash. I suspect this will result in some clever Strava art to be planned out during your hopefully short recovery.

Subby
05-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Dave -

Sorry for the late message - just seeing this! Those moguls are the worst - I have almost been taken out by them on a number of occasions when commuting home.

I hope you got good news from the orthopaedist. PLEASE let me know if I can do anything to help out (if you need to borrow a bike until yours is fixed, etc.).

Get better - streets are less fun without you there.

dkel
06-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Maybe I should replace the knobbies with slicks sooner rather than later...
I already fixed the bars, and there is really no damage to the bike except little scuffs on the shifters, but seriously! I haven't even had this bike for a week! I won't post the picture of my hip (it's a little too revealing).

Ow...

dcv
06-12-2014, 07:53 AM
I already fixed the bars, and there is really no damage to the bike except little scuffs on the shifters, but seriously! I haven't even had this bike for a week! I won't post the picture of my hip (it's a little too revealing).

Ow...

sorry, it was slick out there. hope you didn't break anything on you or the bike.

Subby
06-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Uggh that sucks! What happened?

dkel
06-12-2014, 08:03 AM
sorry, it was slick out there. hope you didn't break anything on you or the bike.

A little road rash; could be worse. I think having full panniers on both sides spared my frame and drivetrain from injury. Aside from straightening the bars out, there's only a little scuff on the tops of the shifters.
I'm sort of surprised.

dkel
06-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Uggh that sucks! What happened?

Slid out in a turn. I think I'm so high on this road bike experience, I lost all reason.

And really: getting road tires soon. I'll use the knobbies in the winter.

KayakCyndi
06-12-2014, 08:15 AM

Indeed it was slick. I was the person gingerly walking their bike around the corner on the trollheim bridge this morning. That was until I realized my tires had better traction that my shoes!

bobco85
06-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Ow...

Ouch, indeed! I'm glad you or your bike weren't more seriously injured. Bleh, nothing like making a skin donation to the MVT's various "waterslides" a.k.a. wooden bridges (I made my donation about 2 years ago on the MVT at the last wooden bridge before you reach Mount Vernon)!

Jason B
06-12-2014, 09:04 AM
I already fixed the bars, and there is really no damage to the bike except little scuffs on the shifters, but seriously! I haven't even had this bike for a week!
Ow...

Sorry about the crash. It is terrible to say, but I bet most crashes happen in the first week of a new bike. New brakes, new geometry, new tires often equals uncertainty.
On the plus side, you definitely look bad-ass, road rash is the new mamil tattoo. My wife says they make me look ten years younger,,,,,, and dumber.

BTW, you can replace that shifter cover pretty cheaply. Look on ebay, i think i got a pair for $10--- same thing as you, new bike and crashed.

ShawnoftheDread
06-12-2014, 09:13 AM
At least you got that out of the way. Now you can really enjoy the bike without worrying about scuffing it up.

dkel
06-12-2014, 09:39 AM
At least you got that out of the way. Now you can really enjoy the bike without worrying about scuffing it up.

Funny, but it's so true. Anyway, it says "Surly" on the side, so what's the point of being prissy about it?

americancyclo
06-12-2014, 09:59 AM
but seriously! I haven't even had this bike for a week!.
Too soon! But, at least you're breaking in the bike, right?!? Hope you heal fast and that there's no damage to the sparkly purple paint.

Dickie
06-12-2014, 10:12 AM
You should know.

hozn
06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
And really: getting road tires soon. I'll use the knobbies in the winter.

Yeah, knobbies are good for dirt, not much else. Maybe "ok" in the snow, but really you just want the studded tires for snow. Save the knobbies for the gravel rides.

I will say that on my commuter the 28c Schwalbe Duranos I am running now are very sticky and are wearing relatively slowly and not too heavy. They have served me well in the wet and winter, etc. I have a set of Conti GP4000S on my road bike that are fantastic too, though they're a bit thinner in the sidewalls (no punctures yet, but I imagine it'll happen more often than the Duranos). Gatorskins aren't great in the wet.

jabberwocky
06-12-2014, 11:53 AM
My road bike has multiple scuffed shifters, brake levers and derailleurs from my overly heroic cornering attempts. Thats how you know you're pushing it the right amount. ;)

rcannon100
06-12-2014, 01:05 PM
The Kid wiped out on the switch back trail in N Arlington, part of Dirt's Kill Bill ride - near Marymount University. There are pieces of him missing. Big big road burn.

n18
06-12-2014, 01:12 PM
That's why I wear knee pads almost full time these days. I tried McDavid Hexpads (http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Hexpad-Elbow-Black-Medium/dp/B000UVXVZ0), and they are not good for cycling, they keep slipping down because the knee is bent often while cycling. They seem to be designed for basketball. Eventually they slip down to just over the knee cap, and when you fall, it would slip easily while contacting the pavement and you would get a road rash. I have never fallen on them though. I tried the Medium/Large/X-Large sizes, and they were all uncomfortable, squeezing the thigh area.

I am now using Triple Eight Knee Pads (http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Eight-ExoSkin-Black-Medium/dp/B0059CWUC0), which is designed for biking, but I have yet to fall on them. They are more comfortable than the Hexpads, but they have somewhat thick padding all around, including the back(There is a hole on the back to pending knees easier). See this page (http://www.tobuskateshop.com/Triple-Eight-EXOSKIN-Knee-Pad-p/t8kp004.htm) for more pictures. I suppose they put padding in the back for mountain biking in case someone falls and the area behind the knee hit some rocks. There is no hard plastic in them at all, so knee caps may not get "full" protection. I think the perfect knee pad for biking hasn't been invented yet, I might make my own using a sewing machine someday.

Here is the manufacturer web site (http://www.triple8.com/). I couldn't find them in any stores, so I had to order them online. The same company makes elbow (http://www.triple8.com/shop/category/Bike-Elbow-Protection), and hip (http://www.triple8.com/shop/product/Triple-Eight-BMX-Bumsavers) protection products. If you order them from Amazon, they don't keep them in the same warehouse. I ordered Knee/Elbow pads with one day shipping, and they tried to ship them from different locations, so I cancelled the entire order, then reordered just the knee pads with free shipping. They shipped the knee pads from Chester, VA, and it took one day to deliver, so I saved money on shipping. I am not a member of Amazon prime, and UPS decided to deliver the package themselves instead of handing it over to the postal service, which would have taken an additional day.

So far I have used them in up to 25 Miles per day(not in one go), and I can tolerate them even in the 90 degrees weather.

dkel
06-12-2014, 01:19 PM
The same company makes elbow (http://www.triple8.com/shop/category/Bike-Elbow-Protection), and hip (http://www.triple8.com/shop/product/Triple-Eight-BMX-Bumsavers) protection products.

My elbow hurt the worst at the time, but now my hip is killing me, and my ribs are starting to join the party. I think it's the muscles that are complaining, from hitting the asphalt all at once. Would have been worse if I hadn't lost nearly 25 lbs from cycling these last nine months! I hope that leg will let me pedal home...

dasgeh
06-12-2014, 01:22 PM
The Kid wiped out on the switch back trail in N Arlington, part of Dirt's Kill Bill ride - near Marymount University. There are pieces of him missing. Big big road burn.

Oh no. Discovering tegaderm at an early age... :-(

americancyclo
06-12-2014, 02:10 PM
I have a set of Conti GP4000S on my road bike that are fantastic too, though they're a bit thinner in the sidewalls (no punctures yet, but I imagine it'll happen more often than the Duranos).
Admittedly I don't ride the carbon bike as much in the rain, but I have GP4000S that are a tad over 5,000 miles on my bike. No flats when I rode the Jeremiah bishop Alpine Loop Gran Fondo (lotsa gravel) Just switching them out this week since they are getting near the wear limit. Highly recommended tires.

jabberwocky
06-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Admittedly I don't ride the carbon bike as much in the rain, but I have GP4000S that are a tad over 5,000 miles on my bike. No flats when I rode the Jeremiah bishop Alpine Loop Gran Fondo (lotsa gravel) Just switching them out this week since they are getting near the wear limit. Highly recommended tires.
I picked up a set based on all the glowing recommendations, but the front barely made it 1000 miles before the sidewall tore out. Maybe bad luck, but I'm due a new set and am hesitant to try them again.

dkel
06-12-2014, 03:01 PM
I picked up a set based on all the glowing recommendations, but the front barely made it 1000 miles before the sidewall tore out. Maybe bad luck, but I'm due a new set and am hesitant to try them again.

My list now is Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe (or possibly Mondial), Vittoria Randonneur, or Continental Contact (or Contact II). I'm thinking of 35s, since I'm after utility more than speed, and my bike is designed for clearance anyway. I have run on the Randonneurs on other bikes and haven't flatted on them, but haven't gone thousands of miles on them, either. I had been thinking of Gatorskins, but they don't come in 35, and after today's wet and painful slide, they may not be the right choice anyway, based on what I'm hearing from others. I'm not particularly prone to flats, though, on my commute: only one in 3000+ miles, on a Kenda Kwik Roller, which was after 2000 miles. (I know, now I'm jinxed.)

mstone
06-12-2014, 03:28 PM
My list now is Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe (or possibly Mondial), Vittoria Randonneur, or Continental Contact (or Contact II). I'm thinking of 35s, since I'm after utility more than speed, and my bike is designed for clearance anyway.

I've been very happy with the conti contacts, both versions. On my wheels the 37 measures about 35 wide by 37 high.

cyclingfool
06-12-2014, 03:29 PM
I had some 32mm Randonneurs on my Surly LHT. They were good tires and lasted a solid year (3500-4000 miles) if memory serves. And let's just say that at my weight I'm not easy on tires. ;) I think they'd be a fine choice. I found 35s to be a his all arounder tire size.

sethpo
06-12-2014, 03:43 PM
I bought a set of Vittoria Randonneur White City Trekking Tires - 700x28c for my commuter b/c I thought they'd be a good multi-use tire (and I liked the white) but I ended up ditching them. They are SUPER tight on the rims which worried me for roadside flats and more importantly, they just felt very stiff on the road. I ended up putting them aside and using a Ritchey 700x35c cross tire for daily use. They are much more supple and comfortable over bumps and don't seem to slow me down at all.

In fact, if anyone wants those Vittorias make me an offer. They can't have more than a couple of hundred miles on them. And by offer, I'm thinking in the six pack of beer neighborhood. They suck.

vvill
06-12-2014, 04:11 PM
I use Ritchey SpeedMax Pro CX tires on my CX bike. They're not great for sharp cornering on the road but otherwise I've been very happy with them - they feel supple, have good volume and no flats. I do think there would be better wide road-only tires options, but given they're not super expensive I haven't bothered switching them out for paved surface riding.

On my road bike I've used Gatorskins and more recently a front Schwalbe Durano as all-weather options. I wasn't too keen on the handling/feel of the Gatorskins, although I haven't flatted on either. So far I prefer the Durano's performance wise but I haven't had it for too long.

For commuting I've used a bunch of cheap generic/Performance tires 32mm+ or 26x1.25"+and they've been ok, but I don't use them much anymore.

dkel
06-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Bikenetic had the Contis in 37.
As soon as I get my fender fit dialed in, I'm slapping these on. Till then, it's slow cornering for me.

Fast Friendly Guy
06-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Hey Dave I just found out this morning. Vincent told me. So sorry to hear it; I know how bad it feels and having your bike scuffed makes it even worse! You're now an official member of a club I hoped you would never join. Karen B and I both send our wishes for a speedy recovery!

Fast Friendly Guy
06-13-2014, 01:35 PM
The Kid wiped out on the switch back trail in N Arlington... There are pieces of him missing. Big big road burn.

Wow I didn't know. Is this something new? I just saw him the other day at Revolution. I Hope he's okay.

dkel
06-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Hey Dave I just found out this morning. Vincent told me. So sorry to hear it; I know how bad it feels and having your bike scuffed makes it even worse! You're now an official member of a club I hoped you would never join. Karen B and I both send our wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thanks, Dave. I already feel much better today (i.e. I have stopped wincing every time I move). And I went ahead and mounted the road tires this morning, making me late for work.
On an unrelated topic, I had been leaning towards leaving the fenders silver, but now that I have smooth touring tires on instead of knobby CX tires, and now that they are sporting a silver reflective sidewall, I'm starting to think the bike is getting too "classic" looking. I also have a brass bell on order, which may make things even MORE "classic." I think those fenders are going to have to go black.

Harry Meatmotor
06-13-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm gonna be one to say that some of the best looking bikes are those that are considerately (not, considerably) mis-matched. so that's a vote for leave the fenders as is. also, it's more about the stable of steeds representing an over arching ideology about bicycle good looks than it is about one single bike being the perfect culmination of cycling good taste. leave the single incarnation stuff to the NAHBS guys, i say.

hozn
06-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah, painting those polished VO fenders would truly be a crime. And HM is right; the mismatches are the real style statements. But you /are/ talking about a thin-tubed steel frame here; short of swapping in a carbon fork and deep carbon wheels I think the bike is gonna inherently lean classic.

Vicegrip
06-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks, Dave. I already feel much better today (i.e. I have stopped wincing every time I move). And I went ahead and mounted the road tires this morning, making me late for work.
On an unrelated topic, I had been leaning towards leaving the fenders silver, but now that I have smooth touring tires on instead of knobby CX tires, and now that they are sporting a silver reflective sidewall, I'm starting to think the bike is getting too "classic" looking. I also have a brass bell on order, which may make things even MORE "classic." I think those fenders are going to have to go black. IMO stay classic. Adds a full .5 multiplier to any cat-6 race pass on your local MUP.

PotomacCyclist
06-13-2014, 08:17 PM
How did people turn the thread about gross injury photos into a thread about bikes and bike photos? I am outraged!

DismalScientist
06-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Classic bikes don't have brifters.:p

dkel
06-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Man, I didn't get those fenders to be classy; I got them because they're the right size and length! Aside from classic v. other-than-classic, that chrome look is detracting from the purple glitter. Look (http://www.joe-bike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/straggler-portlandistan-2.jpg). *That's* all about the purple!

I know this thread has been totally derailed, but FWIW, it was my injury that got it off track. :p

DismalScientist
06-14-2014, 04:22 AM
Look (http://www.joe-bike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/straggler-portlandistan-2.jpg). *That's* all about the purple!

That is certainly about something, but I'm not sure it's purple. :rolleyes:

bobco85
06-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Well, this just happened today:

broken left crank

scratched right foot

While riding to Trader Joe's in Clarendon on Highland just a few blocks south of my destination, I was in a standing position to pedal off from a stop sign (I was a PAL) when the left crank on my hybrid suddenly broke. I luckily did not fall down, but I did scratch the back of my right foot. A cyclist coming toward me witnessed it and asked if I was okay. I replied that I was fine but tried to hide my disappointment at knowing that I'd have to get the crank (and hopefully JUST the crank) replaced. At this point, my bike (GT Zum City bike) is a year and a half old with about 3,460 miles on it.

I did, however, continue on my grocery trip, getting a bandage from Trader Joe's (it was blue!), and using the downhills to coast with walking for the uphills to make it home. I got into a good rhythm of half-pedaling by using my left foot to push the broken half of the crank back, almost like rowing a boat, to stay above walking speed, but really, it was rather pathetic.

Anybody know what kind of $$$ will be emptied from my wallet to fix/replace this with average parts?

hozn
06-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Anybody know what kind of $$$ will be emptied from my wallet to fix/replace this with average parts?

What kind of crank set is it? You might b able to find just the left crank arm on eBay, though if that broke under me I would replace it with something less junky. :). I have heard of crankarms breaking, but after less than 4000 miles is crazy.

PotomacCyclist
06-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Most of my bike injuries have been minor: scrapes on the calf from the chain ring when I was learning how to clip/unclip from clipless pedals, jamming my knee into a sidewalk when I tried to bunnyhop a curb, scraping a knee both times I've done the Diamond Derby/Phoenix Derby after I got tired and became careless or too fatigued to unclip properly during the messenger challenge.

The one real crash was in the first month after I got my first bike as an adult, in 2009. I rode on the Capital Crescent Trail a little too fast on a long straightaway. It was a downhill section and I could see that there was no traffic of any kind for a hundred yards or so. No people nearby who might walk into the path either. And being a newbie, I thought it would be fun to pick up some speed on the modest downhill. I hit a series of bumps in the asphalt. I started bouncing off of them and losing contact with the surface. Then I started bouncing off to the right, where there was a heavily wooded ditch. I thought I'd be in trouble if I tumbled down there so I cranked onto the brakes way too hard. I flipped over the bike. Next thing I knew, I was sitting there stunned. Somehow I landed on the grass, not the pavement. That was fortunate. My head did not contact the ground at all, because the helmet didn't have a speck of dirt on it.

The back of my shirt was covered in dirt, where I landed on the back of the shoulder blade. It hurt a lot but nothing was broken. I had also smacked my cheek into the ground and I had a cut on my eyebrow. Even with those multiple hits, my helmet didn't touch the ground. I don't know how that happened. My shoulder or lat was sore for about a month. I had a big bruise on my cheek for a couple weeks, but nothing else. No broken bones. Some timidity about riding again, although I managed to get over my fear and get back onto a bike again 3 or 4 days later. (I learned my lesson. That is to never ride too fast on bike trails again. If I really want to pick up speed, I need to do it on a smooth, wide, paved road, one that I'm familiar with so I know about any possible potholes, grates or obstructions.)

No photos. I didn't log onto the forum until the following year.

I do have a few running injury photos. I know overuse injuries are more common among runners. I had a lot in my first 12-18 months, but nothing since I figured everything out (smarter training, supplementary functional strength training/core work, improved nutrition). But I've had a couple acute running injuries. I tripped on someone's foot during a marathon and landed on a pinkie finger. I can type, do strength exercises, do pull-ups and swim with that hand, but the finger still feels awkward. After longer swims, I have to tug outward on the finger to ease up the pressure on the joint.

In another incident, I made the mistake of walking to a fitness center in winter (not in the D.C. area) through the snow and not bringing a second pair of running shoes. I ran in the same shoes on the treadmill. Then I decided to do strides, or short sprints. Bad move on a treadmill in general, and a really bad move while wearing slightly wet shoes. I slipped as I tried to jump up onto the sides after the first stride. I fell and rolled back along the belt. I grabbed out instinctively to hold onto the handrail. Dumb move. If I had just let myself fly out the back, I would have tumbled but nothing would have happened. When I held on, my knee stayed in place as the belt grinded into the skin. Then I let go and tumbled off the back anyway.

This was a year and a half ago. I couldn't swim or run for a month until the skin healed, on both knees. There's barely a scar on one knee now, but on the other knee, I still have a large scar, about 1.5" wide. It sort of looks like an outline of the continental United States.

I'll post a picture of the fresh wound later on. It's plenty gross enough for this thread. Just to get the thread back onto the topic of gross and disgusting injuries. And photos that will make people's stomachs churn.

dkel
06-14-2014, 08:57 PM
When I held on, my knee stayed in place as the belt grinded into the skin. Then I let go and tumbled off the back anyway.

This was a year and a half ago. I couldn't swim or run for a month until the skin healed, on both knees. There's barely a scar on one knee now, but on the other knee, I still have a large scar, about 1.5" wide. It sort of looks like the outline of the continental United States.

I lost *a lot* of layers of skin off my elbow in my slide on Thursday. If I don't keep up the pain killers, I'm a cranky mess to be around. It still looks repulsive, and I'm wondering how long it will take to heal. Fortunately, I can ride without discomfort, and have done 40 miles since the crash. I don't have a day off of riding planned in the near future, so I guess I haven't lost my confidence. The different tires I put on help, of course. :)

bobco85
06-15-2014, 02:05 PM
What kind of crank set is it? You might b able to find just the left crank arm on eBay, though if that broke under me I would replace it with something less junky. :). I have heard of crankarms breaking, but after less than 4000 miles is crazy.

Good news on the broken crank: I took it in and got the crank replaced for only $10 (price of the part, they did the labor for free) with a stronger crank. The people at the bike shop were more impressed with the fact that I could even break such a component!

I also got an explanation of the break. The crank is aluminum, but if you look at the colors at the break, you'll see:
- black part - possible crack had occurred here that had let water in over time and weakened
- white part - this broke off when the crank snapped and thus was still fresh
- silver part at the black/white border (very thin, hard to see) - when the crank broke, the material here got stretched a bit

On my injury, there's a chunk missing from the back of my right foot, but a bandage seems to be doing the trick for now. Apparently, the last time something like this happened (the guy from the bike shop told me this), the person cut their leg open on the broken part and blood sprayed everywhere. I'm very glad I did not suffer the same fate!

hozn
06-15-2014, 02:47 PM
- black part - possible crack had occurred here that had let water in over time and weakened

Wait, is this the bike you took into the ocean? :)

$10 seems cheap for a quality crankset (I was expecting more like $100), but hopefully it is just a good deal and will last you a long time!

bobco85
06-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Wait, is this the bike you took into the ocean? :)

$10 seems cheap for a quality crankset (I was expecting more like $100), but hopefully it is just a good deal and will last you a long time!

It is the one I took into the ocean (but I did wash it after returning from the beach, I swear!).

They replaced the left crank only, and as far as I was told, the other one is not expected to suffer the same fate. At least for now, I have that good feeling that my bike is working again (when one of my bikes is out of commission, it's painful for me) :)

PotomacCyclist
06-15-2014, 06:22 PM
While I'm cool about blood and guts, this tread seems a bit counter to the general theme of the forum, which is to encourage cycling. I'd hope we would find a better venue to share our photos (maybe the happy hours?) so as not to suggest to the visitors here that cycling is so dangerous that even skilled cyclists bleed a lot. As a sales pitch, that one might be improved.

Just say'n

I already pointed out that I've had more injuries from running, and that was mostly in my first year or so. Same with cycling.

I'll also add to the thread that my worst injury all time occurred when I used to be fairly sedentary. It happened because I was so weak muscularly and then I got back to piano playing, this time for a community theater show. The weak lats plus the pounding on the piano during weeks of rehearsals led to a severe muscle imbalance between the lats and the trapezius muscles. (Many people have a lesser version of this imbalance, from sitting at desks in front of computers for hours a day, while they never use their lat muscles. Unless people are training or participating in particular sports, most people rarely use their lat muscles in modern life. Rowing motions and pull-up movements engage the lats.)

That severe imbalance caused the traps to be so tight that it was a mess waiting to happen. And it did. I had already felt sore for weeks in the upper back/traps. Then one day, while I was eating dinner, I finished and stood up. Just that simple movement was enough, given how messed up the lat/trap balance was. The trap partially tore and the entire (large) muscle went into powerful spasms. Most painful experience of my life. I couldn't move an inch because each movement set off new waves of muscle spasms in the trap. These were not garden-variety spasms. They were so intense that I almost passed out from the pain. Because I couldn't move, I couldn't sit down either. So I just stood there, for an entire hour. Unable to sit, unable to walk over to a chair or bed, or anything.

Eventually, I realized that I had to do something. I couldn't stand there all day and all night. So I slowly walked down a flight of stairs. Because quick movements set off more muscle spasms, I think it took me an hour or even two hours to go down one flight of stairs! The intense pain subsided by the next day, but I had to deal with problems from the partial tear for quite a while, especially since I was so muscularly weak at the time. That's what led me to start with strength training, eventually. I had rehab exercises but I quickly realized that they were designed for 80-year-olds with no muscle tone at all. I was a fairly young adult with no major health problems until that muscle tear, so I thought it was ridiculous for me to be so weak.

I did strength training on and off for a few years. I still had almost zero aerobic endurance. (A few years after that point, I remember doing a set of squats. The squats taxed my aerobic system so much that I was out of breath for about 10 minutes!) When I started swimming in 2004 (only casual laps of breaststroke, and only during the summers), my first lap got me so tired that it took me 5 or 10 minutes to recover. But I did build up a basic level of endurance by the end of that summer, so that I could do easy 30-min. swim workouts without feeling like I was dying.

Another item: I've met people at work who have been injured from non-athletic activities, primarily because they were inactive. One person tore her knee ligaments at a wedding reception. One of her cousins ran up to her and jumped up on her shoulders, causing her knee to buckle. Another guy ripped his rotator cuff muscles, while riding Metro. No fight or any criminal incident. I think his shoulders and surrounding musculature were so weak that a sudden start or stop of the train might have caused the injury.

Just adding this so that future readers don't think cycling is necessarily so dangerous. It's not. Nothing in life is risk-free. That includes attending weddings, driving, riding Metro, walking on streets or sitting on the couch stuffing one's face with candy, fries and soda. Actually, it's the couch sitting and junk food that ends up killing the most people each year, at least in the U.S. Not right away, but eventually that lifestyle grinds you down, at an early age, and the time up to that death is usually full of health problems.

KLizotte
06-15-2014, 06:59 PM
I lost *a lot* of layers of skin off my elbow in my slide on Thursday. If I don't keep up the pain killers, I'm a cranky mess to be around. It still looks repulsive, and I'm wondering how long it will take to heal. Fortunately, I can ride without discomfort, and have done 40 miles since the crash. I don't have a day off of riding planned in the near future, so I guess I haven't lost my confidence. The different tires I put on help, of course. :)

I'd recommend seeing a doc just in case. A tetanus shot might in order if you are not up to date on those sort of things. You want to keep that kind of wound moist (and clean of course). Scabbing is really not a good idea. Docs have learned from burn patients that skin tissue injuries respond best when kept in a sterile moist environment. Hydrocolloid bandages work best for the first week or two then you can eventually switch to Tegaderm.* The former soak up moisture which may be seeping from the wound while still providing a sterile, moist environment plus they are flexible and won't come off if you are bending the area. The trouble is finding them in sufficiently large sizes to fully cover a wound (Band-aid seems to have stopped making the big ones). Haven't had a need to check the shelves at CVS for a couple of years on what is available these days (knock on wood). Best of luck on healing quickly.

*I learned this the hard way when I left a few layers of skin on the pavement from going over the handlebars without gloves (I now always ride with gloves). Try finding bandages that will allow you to bend your palms and keep everything clean! After spending about $30 on all varieties of bandages, I finally discovered hydrocolloid and Tergaderm. They made life a lot, lot easier.

PotomacCyclist
06-15-2014, 07:28 PM

On my left knee in the Dec. 2012 accident, I had a wound about 1.5" x 1". All the surface layers of skin were gone. I guess the deeper layers were still there (or else there would be nothing left). I didn't take any painkillers, mostly because I think all that junk messes you up eventually. Even the milder painkillers like Tylenol or Advil. Every drug has side effects and they are usually not too good for you.

Immediately after skinning my knees that day, I wiped off the wounds with a dry paper towel, but I didn't have an antiseptic wipe available right away. I continued with the rest of the run workout. Not too long, maybe 20 or 30 minutes after the fall. When I got back, I washed the wounds with soap and water. Then I covered them with bandages that probably weren't large enough.

Later on, I found large square bandages at Rite Aid or CVS, large enough to cover the entire wound. Those seemed to help. I also bought some antiseptic spray, Dermoplast. I bought the spray instead of an ointment because I wouldn't have to touch the wound, potentially contaminating it.

As I noted before, I didn't swim or run for at least a few weeks.

OK, I just looked up my training notes from that winter, on SportTracks. According to one note, I didn't train at all for the next 2.5 weeks. That included cycling/spin bike, since I skinned my knees, not an elbow. Both knees healed up after 2 weeks but a small scab remained for another week after that (3 weeks total).

My first workout after the break was a strength workout. I felt sluggish but that's normal after taking a break. The next day, I ran on a treadmill. At the end of that week, I did a 3-hr. ride on the MTB, at very easy effort. More of a bike tour ride than a true training ride.

I didn't have a problem with infection. I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I don't think I've ever had a wound get infected. When I was in grade school, I would get nicks and scrapes from running and playing around outside and I would never use an antiseptic spray or ointment. Nothing as bad as the skinned knees in 2012, but there were many minor scrapes over the years. I don't think I used bandages that often back then either.

Now I do try to wash and clean scrapes as soon as I can. I carry an antiseptic wipe in a portable packet on the bike (either in the bento box or the underseat bag). If I get a scrape, I'll wipe it off with the wipe. Then when I get back home, I'll wash it with soap and water. (I don't use antibiotic soaps. There are serious questions about the safety of triclosan, the active ingredient used in most of those soaps and even in antibacterial toothpastes.) If it's a larger scrape, I'll put a bandage on it, at least for a day or two, until there's enough of a natural cover to keep the wound from getting dirty. That's what I did after the Phoenix Derby last month, when I had a small scrape on a knee. Nothing major and no complications.

PotomacCyclist
06-16-2014, 08:03 PM
I'll also add that good nutrition can help speed up the healing process.

dkel
06-16-2014, 09:30 PM
The elbow is really healing up fast (faster than I thought, anyway). It has a ways to go, but it's clearly better very day. I've also gotten good at positioning the dressing so it mostly stays down when I move my arm, instead of popping up when it straighten it. On the other hand, my ribs were killing me today: it took three Advil to make them stop screaming at me. I'm not a fan of pain-killers, but I'm even less a fan of pain (like this, anyway).

KLizotte
06-16-2014, 10:49 PM
The elbow is really healing up fast (faster than I thought, anyway). It has a ways to go, but it's clearly better very day. I've also gotten good at positioning the dressing so it mostly stays down when I move my arm, instead of popping up when it straighten it. On the other hand, my ribs were killing me today: it took three Advil to make them stop screaming at me. I'm not a fan of pain-killers, but I'm even less a fan of pain (like this, anyway).

Could you have fractured a rib?? :-(

dkel
06-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Could you have fractured a rib?? :-(

It's probably just bruising of the muscles around the ribs. The pain is aggravating, but not so bad as to discourage taking deep breaths. I think the source my problem yesterday was that I stopped taking Advil for the first part of the day, allowing the pain to get going. If I keep up the meds, it really feels *much* better. Even if I cracked a rib, I'm pretty sure that's all the treatment there is for it anyway.

dasgeh
06-17-2014, 10:54 AM
It's probably just bruising of the muscles around the ribs. The pain is aggravating, but not so bad as to discourage taking deep breaths. I think the source my problem yesterday was that I stopped taking Advil for the first part of the day, allowing the pain to get going. If I keep up the meds, it really feels *much* better. Even if I cracked a rib, I'm pretty sure that's all the treatment there is for it anyway.

Just be sure to follow the directions - e.g. eat whenever you take Advil. Found that out the hard way after knee surgery.

Subby
06-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Just a heads up, but the place where Superdave Pomeroy went down (15th St. NW @ Constitution) is still a mess. I tweeted to @DDOTDC today and also filled out a road repair request on http://311.dc.gov/. If other folks who go through there regularly want to follow suit it might save a broken bone or two!

cyclingfool
06-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Just submitted a request, though I rarely ride on that side of the Ellipse. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that...

Fast Friendly Guy
06-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks sincerely to you both for your support on behalf of all riders who deserve a safe street to ride

cyclingfool
06-18-2014, 07:33 AM
I also had the problem someone else did with the quadrants being messed up in the reports. My 15th St NW report became 15th St SE. Unable to find a contact email or form to report problems with the problem reporting website... :confused: ...I tweeted them about the quadrant issue (gotta love Twitter) and gave them my request confirmation number so that a crew doesn't go to 15th St SE and find noting. They quickly responded with a thanks and said that they would work on the website issue.

dkel
07-17-2014, 09:50 AM
DANG IT!

This is the same elbow I scraped off last month! If I hadn't already injured that thing, my minor tumble into the grass probably wouldn't have even left a mark. Just ridiculous!

cyclingfool
07-17-2014, 09:59 AM
DANG IT!

This is the same elbow I scraped off last month! If I hadn't already injured that thing, my minor tumble into the grass probably wouldn't have even left a mark. Just ridiculous!

Bummer. I trust you Talansky'ed it the rest of the way to your destination, though.

dkel
07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Bummer. I trust you Talansky'ed it the rest of the way to your destination, though.

I rode on, then stopped later to rinse it off with my water bottle (which stung like a--well, you know), then I ended up stopping again to actually put some ointment and a bandaid on it. The whole thing was stupid. Rockford10 has told me I'm not allowed to do any more "dumb stuff." Sage advice.

ShawnoftheDread
07-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Rockford10 has told me I'm not allowed to do any more "dumb stuff." Sage advice.

Wives and their ridiculous lack of specificity are less than helpful.

dkel
07-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Wives and their ridiculous lack of specificity are less than helpful.

That lack of specificity is calculated and purposeful, you know.

Rockford10
07-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Wait - this isn't fair. DKel's text to me this morning referenced a "dumb and mud-related" accident. I don't think saying in the response text "Don't do dumb things" lacked specificity or was calculated and purposeful. Just saying.

I will, however, require him to wear body armor from now on.

dkel
07-17-2014, 01:35 PM
^^^ Who is that handsome devil?

mstone
07-17-2014, 01:37 PM
I think it's a still from a mad max movie.

KLizotte
07-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Every accident is a learning experience. :rolleyes:

dkel
07-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I think it's a still from a mad max movie.

Seriously, I'm not even cool enough for that!

dkel
05-09-2015, 08:06 AM
My sister's elbow (yes it's her elbow!) not long after toppling over yesterday:

And the x-ray revealing the problem:

She was out getting used to her new Specialized Roubaix, which she got on Tuesday (a huge step up from her 15 year old Trek Multitrack). She tells me it was a slow-speed maneuver, which is a little scary, considering she will probably have to have surgery to repair that amount of damage. I was going to try to get her to ride to whatever Memorial Day Coffee Club gets organized, but I have a feeling she'll be off the bike for a while!