PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Rosslyn

chris_s
11-19-2013, 12:47 PM
So I volunteered at the last BAC meeting to be the BAC liaison to the "Realize Rosslyn" planning effort. For those who don't know, Arlington is working to update the Rosslyn Sector plan which will outline what we want Rosslyn to look like in the future in regard to building height, street layout, parks, use mix (office / residential / etc).

They have been gathering ideas for a number of months now and are starting to coalesce those ideas into a framework of principals and then further into a draft sector plan. The major "themes" at this point are:

1.Transform commuter corridors into places for people
2.Connect to regional parks and the Potomac River
3.Create a sustainable Rosslyn through mixed uses and energy infrastructure
4.Vary building height for great public spaces, views and skyline
5.Unite Rosslyn along an extended 18th Street

And the ideas coming out of that at this point include some great things for cyclists like:
1) converting Lynn & Ft Myer Drive to 2 way streets
2) rebalancing many of the streets to include dedicated bike facilities and wider sidewalks at the expense of travel lanes
3) adding additional trail connections
4) connecting 18th Street through the core of Rosslyn, potentially as a car-free or car-lite street.

The "current thinking" shown to the BAC at the last meeting was this map (http://mizook.com/temp/ROSSLYN-BAC.pdf) of a theoretical proposed set of bicycle facilities in Rosslyn. It includes:
1) a 1-way NB cycle track on Lynn between 50 and 19th
2) a 2-way cycle track on Lynn between 19th and Lee Hwy
3) a 1-way SB cycle track on Ft Myer Dr between Lee and 50
4) a 1-way SB cycle track on Nash between Ft Myer Dr and Wilson
5) a 2-way cycle track on Wilson between Lynn and Arlington Ridge Rd
6) a new trail connection between 19th/Arlington Ridge Rd and the Mt Vernon Trail
7) extensions of the Arlington Boulevard Trail on both sides of 50
8) a new trail connection to the Roosevelt Bridge
9) various additional bike lanes

The primary feedback given at the BAC meeting was: given the difficulty in turning left off of Wilson onto Lynn, people really want a 2-way cycle track on Nash so they can take that through Rosslyn instead of trying to make that left. Also cycletracks = good.

If you want additional background on what changes may be coming to Rosslyn as a result of this process, I highly recommend THIS (http://sites.arlingtonva.us/rosslynsector/wp-content/blogs.dir/11/files/2013/10/public-workshop_131005_GIVEN_web.pdf) document and also THIS (http://sites.arlingtonva.us/rosslynsector/wp-content/blogs.dir/11/files/2013/10/Oct4-5_PublicWorkshopBoards-LO.pdf) document. It helps a lot. Many of these decisions make more sense when seen in the light of the whole framework (like the Rosslyn Esplanade concept, the green loop concept, etc.)

Now, what ideas do YOU have on making cycling better in Rosslyn? I will compile people's thoughts in a letter right now and also continue to push them throughout the Rosslyn process.

Kolohe
11-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Is there a concrete plan to improve the 'intersection of death' (Lynn & Lee Highway)? It's not entirely clear from the supporting docs you link (and that intersection is either right at the edge or outside some of the drawn boundaries on the various slides)

Or is the vision to just obviate the need for improvements by creating a new connection to the MVT (and TR Bridge) via the 19th/Ridge Road master project?

DismalScientist
11-19-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't like counterflow or two way cycletracks. The right side of northbound Lynn is busy enough.

PotomacCyclist
11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
What about the proposed leasing of the air space above I-66 in Rosslyn? The VA state gov't. has proposed making that available for development, in order to raise revenue for transportation improvements. While it seems that money could go toward funding a new Rosslyn-DC Metro tunnel (to Georgetown?), part of any funds could go to an improved MVT-Custis Trail-Lynn St. crossing.

http://www.arlnow.com/2013/07/03/va-proposes-development-over-i-66/

I know none of this is going to happen soon, if ever, but it could be a great way to provide a real fix for the Lynn St. intersection. Perhaps a future developer could contribute funds for a bike/pedestrian bridge as an alternate crossing of Lynn St. and perhaps Lee Hwy. too. The MVT could split off before reaching Lynn St. A street-level path could remain for those turning north to Key Bridge. The alternate path could go over a bike bridge or bridges, crossing Lynn St. and another bridge crossing Lee Hwy.

If this or similar proposals were brought up for long-term planning, then the state and Arlington could include such designs in the negotiations with a future developer. Those air rights should be valuable. The buildings would have a prominent location with views of Georgetown, the Kennedy Center and the National Mall. Occupants have easy access to the nearby Metro station, which will be serviced by three lines (incl. the Silver Line next year).

dasgeh
11-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Chris!

My wish list for Rosslyn, in order of priority (and aside from above):
1) Fix Lynn/Lee
2) Separate bikes from others along the Custis sidewalk
3) Rosslyn - GWMP - Spout Run connection
4) Improve the connection from the Iwo Jima to N. Meade Street
5) Improve Key Blvd -- Key Blvd/Scott St (or 18th St, if that becomes a bike/ped street through Rosslyn) connection

I am SO EXCITED about the possibility of connecting the Iwo Jima to the South side of the TR Bridge. Awesome sauce.

chris_s
11-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Is there a concrete plan to improve the 'intersection of death' (Lynn & Lee Highway)? It's not entirely clear from the supporting docs you link (and that intersection is either right at the edge or outside some of the drawn boundaries on the various slides)

Or is the vision to just obviate the need for improvements by creating a new connection to the MVT (and TR Bridge) via the 19th/Ridge Road master project?

To the best of my knowledge the plan currently doesn't address much in regard to the Lee & Lynn intersection, though additional trail connections could certainly help reduce the # of people who need to use it. This is definitely already on the list of issues to push on.

rcannon100
11-19-2013, 04:01 PM
1. Fix the Intersection of Doom
2. See #1
3. See #1
4. See #1
5. See #1
6. See #1
7. See #1
8. See #1
9. See #1
10. See #1

chris_s
11-19-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't like counterflow or two way cycletracks. The right side of northbound Lynn is busy enough.

Because of the two-waying of Lynn and Ft Myer, I don't believe any of the cycletracks proposed could be described as counterflow or contra-flow. Are you completely against two-way cycle tracks, or only against them when they are on a one-way street? Or only against them when both directions are on the same side of the street? Or some combination? In general, just give me some more detail Dismal!

chris_s
11-19-2013, 04:03 PM
What about the proposed leasing of the air space above I-66 in Rosslyn? The VA state gov't. has proposed making that available for development, in order to raise revenue for transportation improvements. While it seems that money could go toward funding a new Rosslyn-DC Metro tunnel (to Georgetown?), part of any funds could go to an improved MVT-Custis Trail-Lynn St. crossing.

I'm going to put in a question about this. I know the study is aware of the air-rights RFP, but I'm not sure to what extent they are accounting for it. I agree that it may be our best shot at a real solution for Lee & Lynn.

chris_s
11-19-2013, 04:25 PM
How do other folks feel about this? I know there are other cities that have tried this. Anybody have successful models they can point to? PReferably with links and photos and data and whatnot?

I believe I know the kind of connection/route you're suggesting here and that it has been deemed infeasible in the past (when they were looking at continuing the MVT all the way through Arlington) as too expensive / too environmentally destructive / too historical viewshed-destroying. Would love to hear more detail though. Perhaps it's different or perhaps things have changed.

This would seem to fit in perfectly with many of those goals of the sector plan. Can you/others outline the problems with this connection as you see them now?

5) Improve Key Blvd -- Key Blvd/Scott St (or 18th St, if that becomes a bike/ped street through Rosslyn) connection
By "improve" are we talking like bike lanes all along? Or some sort of Bicycle Boulevard treatment? Or are you kinda open to whatever staff thinks might be best in that regard? My biggest issue with that connection is the crazy steepness of the trail section that connects the two pieces of Key Blvd and I'm 'not sure what a good alternative is there. I don't really have a big issue with Key east of there.

DismalScientist
11-19-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't like two-way cycletracks when they are on the same side of the street because a single lane of bicycle traffic is going the opposite direction of automotive traffic. I think drivers don't expect traffic going the "wrong" way, which is problematic especially when turning. Furthermore, obstructions in the cycletrack may lead cyclists into wrong way traffic with high closing speeds. Obviously, there would be the same problem with a two lane cycletrack on a one way street or a contraflow lane on a one way street.

Separation of a cycletrack with barriers (such as parked cars or other large objects) seem to me to cause potential conflict at intersections, particularly when these objects obscure vision. Separated cycletracks see to me to be analogous to riding bicycles on sidewalks with problems at intersections. Putting the two way cycletrack in the middle of the road (a la Pennsylvania Ave) seems better, although it violates the general notion that bicycles, which tend to go more slowly than cars, should be on the right. In this situation, I would prefer one way cycletracks (or bike lanes) on the right side of the road.

As a hopeless vehicular cyclist, I don't particularly have a preference between a cycletrack with flexible pylons, a bike lane, or a wider "normal" right lane. I realize that this is a somewhat unpopular opinion here as there is this notion that cycletracks seems safer and encourage more cycling. In my opinion, many cycletracks when implemented seem to introduce more potential vehicle conflicts.

Specifically, on Lynn Street, I would suggest a northbound bike lane all the way across the bridge over 66 with an easier curb cut to both the northbound sidewalk on the Key Bridge and over to the Mount Vernon Trail. I would put a wider sidewalk on the east side of Lynn to accommodate both pedestrians and southbound cyclists. Lastly, I would try to figure out some way that southbound cyclists do not cross the entrance and exit ramps to 66 and other cross streets too much more quickly than would be expected by a pedestrian using the cross walk. If southbound cyclists don't want to take that sidewalk, they can always take Fort Meyer.

I am having a hard time visualizing a two way Lynn Street. Is there an adequate way of funneling all that car traffic to the Key Bridge?

GB
11-19-2013, 04:42 PM
I would prefer one way cycletracks (or bike lanes) on the right side of the road.

Me too.

Any chance that the sidewalk on the TR bridge is in the scope of the Rosslyn improvement project? It really should be wider and or separated from traffic with a higher fence.

chris_s
11-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Me too.
Me three.

Any chance that the sidewalk on the TR bridge is in the scope of the Rosslyn improvement project? It really should be wider and or separated from traffic with a higher fence.
Definitely not anything Arlington has much say in. Probably DDOT, NPS or FHWA.

bobco85
11-19-2013, 06:55 PM
I checked out all the presentations that chris_s linked to, and I must say I really like the ideas of the Green Circle, 18th Street corridor, and having alternate routes to the MVT. I am curious as to how efficiently the traffic on two-way Lynn Street and Fort Myer Drive will flow, although I do understand they will each have slower (read: "safer" for cyclists) speeds.

The Lynn/Lee intersection looks unchanged, though, which would be my only disappointment from this. Heck, if I had my way, I'd just close the exit ramp off I-66 altogether and solve the whole problem of the danger for cyclists/pedestrians. Important note: I am not and have never been a transportation engineer, probably for the good of drivers everywhere ;)

For another look, here's a cropped image taken from page 20 of one of the pdf's that chris_s linked to:

Kolohe
11-20-2013, 09:08 AM

This would seem to fit in perfectly with many of those goals of the sector plan. Can you/others outline the problems with this connection as you see them now?

It's somewhat a similar problem to the intersection of doom, in that the bike 'thruway' goes right in the middle of a major highway interchange. (though maybe more like the Memorial bridge connections on both sides of the river?)

The (newish) bike lane on Meade goes away just before this point http://goo.gl/maps/8LlWY and you're then on the left of relatively high speed traffic coming off the ramp from eastbound 50.

Then you got to get over to the right again at this ramp from westbound 50 http://goo.gl/maps/e2KPq - though the bollards help a little as well as the traffic backups that come from the light at the intersection of Fairfax drive which slows things down.

what has helped it that they occasionally put a temporary traffic light here http://goo.gl/maps/GJ05I (I think a couple weeks before the July 4 fireworks - or it may have just been for construction and resurfacing last year) which slows things down too.

I am perhaps missing the hyperliteral reading of this point, though it is correct - when coming around the Iwo Jima circle, there's a narrow ADA ramp here: http://goo.gl/maps/Ytnu3 but otherwise one has to go all the way around to the side of the circle http://goo.gl/maps/oU4MH, closest to the Netherlands Clario..., Calrio..., Carli... ... - the Dutch Big Bell Thing. Or go all the way up John Marshall to the Ft Myer gate and then onto Meade. So a better way of cutting through would save a good many minutes and some distance.

dasgeh
11-20-2013, 09:32 AM

I agree with Kolohe on the need for better bike facilities on N Meade. When I originally wrote this, I was just thinking of the need to have a better way to get from the road around Iwo Jima to N. Meade. The most obvious solution, in my mind, is to build a better ramp along the south side of the ramp from N Meade to 50E. So bikes coming from Marshall Dr would take the (hopefully soon repaved) road into the Iwo Jima Memorial, then turn right onto the circle with cars, then continue onto a new ramp that take bikes up to N Meade. Bonus points if there's a light at the top of that new ramp, so bikes can safely continue on the 50 service road and onto the new trail along 27.

GB
11-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Are there, or are there plans for, a requirement that buildings with X parking spaces also provide Y shower/locker room facilities? (For me locker rooms are more important than bike lanes in getting me to bike to work).

chris_s
11-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Are there, or are there plans for, a requirement that buildings with X parking spaces also provide Y shower/locker room facilities? (For me locker rooms are more important than bike lanes in getting me to bike to work).

Arlington's standard site plan conditions have required this for years, so it has applied to almost all new office buildings in Arlington.

D. Requirements for showers and lockers:
1) For Office Uses:
a. For every 50,000 square feet or fraction thereof of office Gross Floor Area
(GFA), one (1) shower per gender, up to a maximum of three (3) showers
per gender, shall be installed for buildings 300,000 square feet of GFA and
below, and one (1) shower per gender for each additional 100,000 square
feet of GFA or portion thereof.

b. The showers shall be located in a safe and secured area.

c. Approval of Location, Layout and Security (Footing to Grade Permit)
A minimum of one (1) clothes storage locker per gender shall be installed
for every required employee bicycle parking space. The lockers shall be
installed adjacent to the showers in a safe and secured area. Before
issuance of the Footing to Grade Permit, the Developer agrees to obtain
the review and approval of the Arlington County Police Department for
the location, layout and security of the showers and locker room. The
Arlington County Police Department will approve the location, layout and
security of the showers and locker room if it finds them to be reasonably
safe and secure.

d. The lockers shall be a minimum size of 12 inches in width, 18 inches in
depth and 36 inches in height, and shall be available to bicycle commuters
during normal building operating hours; provided, however, that bicycle
commuters shall be permitted to use the lockers for storage 24 hours per
day, 7 days per week.

e. Both the showers and lockers shall be available to all tenants of the
building.
(Source with more detail) (http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/CPHD/planning/applications/site_plans/pdfs/file90069.pdf)

chris_s
11-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks to dasgeh and Kolohe for the detail on the Meade St / Iwo Jima issues! The current proposal calls for bike lanes the entire length of Meade (and I know the existing plans for the Meade Street bridge replacement include bike lanes) but dealing with the merges from 50 is going to take some care in the final design. I'll include all of your excellent points on the difficulty of actually getting between Meade and the trails/roads around Iwo Jima effectively in either direction. I think that intersection where they often put up the temporary traffic light could be a great spot for a HAWK signal once the connection on the east side of Meade has been improved.

I worry about how much of this is going to require the cooperation of NPS. *sigh* Baby steps.

americancyclo
11-20-2013, 09:56 AM
what has helped it that they occasionally put a temporary traffic light here http://goo.gl/maps/GJ05I (I think a couple weeks before the July 4 fireworks - or it may have just been for construction and resurfacing last year) which slows things down too.

Bonus points if there's a light at the top of that new ramp, so bikes can safely continue on the 50 service road and onto the new trail along 27.

In the afternoon rush hour times, I often ride past the carillon and up the ramp around Iwo Jima, using the curb cut and merging with northbound traffic on North Meade, then make a left on Arlington Blvd (access rd). From my perspective as a westbound afternoon cyclist the temporary light that was at N. Meade and Arlington Blvd access Rd was AWFUL. It forced me to stop at an intersection that never had enough traffic to pose a problem. Now that it is gone, I can slow down for any through traffic (there is hardly any ever) and make that left without having to stop and wait.

It might differ at other times of the day and in different directions, but from my limited personal perspective, I would not want a light there.

Has anyone linked to this map/survey yet?

Rosslyn’s Future Bicycle Network: If you cycle to or through Rosslyn – or if you would do so if safer, more inviting routes were available – your perspectives, stories, and ideas regarding the existing network and potential changes that could improve the bicycling experience through Rosslyn are important to us. Click the link below to share your thoughts, which will be added to the collection of community input being gathered to help inform and shape the elements and direction of the updated long range plan for Rosslyn.

http://sites.arlingtonva.us/rosslynsector/process-and-schedule/survey/

chris_s
11-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Has anyone linked to this map/survey yet?

The proposals being discussed were formed partly off of the results of that survey.

dasgeh
11-20-2013, 10:07 AM

I believe I know the kind of connection/route you're suggesting here and that it has been deemed infeasible in the past (when they were looking at continuing the MVT all the way through Arlington) as too expensive / too environmentally destructive / too historical viewshed-destroying. Would love to hear more detail though. Perhaps it's different or perhaps things have changed.

The attached shows what I'm talking about. Note that in this area, eastbound GWMP is lower than westbound GWMP - the blue line would be the trail, and while it looks like it crosses eastbound GWMP, it just goes under it.

Basically it would be a two way path/cycletrack along the south/west side of Spout Run then the GWMP then the ramp to Rosslyn. This isn't a path along the Potomac (which I believe was recently discussed as too expensive / too environmentally destructive / too historical viewshed-destroying). I actually saw this path in an OLD master plan -- wish I had noted which one. Most of it would be easy to build -- I believe there's plenty of width on the ramp to Rosslyn and along the GWMP. The issue would just be along Spout Run and getting it back to Lyon Village, but there are options.

dasgeh
11-20-2013, 10:11 AM

By "improve" are we talking like bike lanes all along? Or some sort of Bicycle Boulevard treatment? Or are you kinda open to whatever staff thinks might be best in that regard? My biggest issue with that connection is the crazy steepness of the trail section that connects the two pieces of Key Blvd and I'm 'not sure what a good alternative is there. I don't really have a big issue with Key east of there.

I would expect Bike Boulevard treatment for Key Blvd, at least in Lyon Village, but here I'm focused on getting from the Lyon Village part to the Rosslyn part. I see no reason why you couldn't suspend a bridge over the ravine there, smoothing out that path, and improve the entrances to the path to make it clear that this is a real transportation connection. On the Rosslyn side, you currently bike through this odd parking lot thing, and it's hard to find. If you extend 18th, it might be better to route the trail there, so 18th ends in a nice transition to path, just like Key Blvd does on the other end.

dasgeh
11-20-2013, 10:18 AM
In the afternoon rush hour times, I often ride past the carillon and up the ramp around Iwo Jima, using the curb cut and merging with northbound traffic on North Meade, then make a left on Arlington Blvd (access rd).

One improvement they could make RIGHT NOW is to align the curb cut with where the trail comes up, so that bikes don't have to ride on that NARROW sidewalk. It's not the hugest deal, but there are often tourists up on the sidewalk at the top of the hill, leading to this weird "excuse me, I'm going there" dance.

chris_s
11-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Basically it would be a two way path/cycletrack along the south/west side of Spout Run then the GWMP then the ramp to Rosslyn. This isn't a path along the Potomac (which I believe was recently discussed as too expensive / too environmentally destructive / too historical viewshed-destroying). I actually saw this path in an OLD master plan -- wish I had noted which one. Most of it would be easy to build -- I believe there's plenty of width on the ramp to Rosslyn and along the GWMP. The issue would just be along Spout Run and getting it back to Lyon Village, but there are options.

There are some challenges to that route I believe...

http://mizook.com/temp/cliffs.png

http://mizook.com/temp/streams.png

Not saying it's unworkable; no bike route anywhere is a cakewalk.

rcannon100
11-21-2013, 11:09 AM
At one point the Intersection of Doom had a bunch of redesigns. I think they may have been official. Like tunneling the bike path underneath.... and some other options. Does anyone know where that documentation is? Would probably be good to have for this discussion.

Even a year or so ago, I remember big promises that the solution was right around the corner. Any documentation of what that solution - which did not materialize - was?

Again, the prob of the Intersection of Doom is not so much design as it is five jurisdictions that must get on board the solution: Arlco, VDOT, NPS, Priv Prop, and even DC I understand.

chris_s
11-21-2013, 11:23 AM
At one point the Intersection of Doom had a bunch of redesigns. I think they may have been official. Like tunneling the bike path underneath.... and some other options. Does anyone know where that documentation is? Would probably be good to have for this discussion.

Even a year or so ago, I remember big promises that the solution was right around the corner. Any documentation of what that solution - which did not materialize - was?

The "short term" project: N. Lynn Street Esplanade and Lee Highway/Custis Trail Safety Improvements (http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/EnvironmentalServices/ProjectsAndPlanning/capprojects/page63515.aspx)

That web page links to both the Esplanade Study and the Rosslyn Circle study which both have looked extensively at the problem (in various ways) and have some longer-term options.

I have an email into Arlington's Capital Projects manager asking for an update timeline on the Esplanade project as it is WAY behind the original schedule.

chris_s
11-21-2013, 12:05 PM
I have an email into Arlington's Capital Projects manager asking for an update timeline on the Esplanade project as it is WAY behind the original schedule.

Response:

Chris, The 90% engineering plans are scheduled to go to VDOT in January. This a behind the web page schedule and we will again be updating.
I will additionally be adding in some new photos of the custom fence posts and some new details of bridge design.

We had a contract dispute with the design consultant regarding new task fees and current scope. This set us back about 5 months I am sorry to say but it has been contractually resolved and all parties are back at work.

chris_s
12-02-2013, 12:54 PM
POKE POKE

Anybody else?

dasgeh
01-23-2014, 09:23 PM

So I proposed the above, someone asked for an example of what I was talking about and I've been thinking about it ever since. Then I saw this (http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/tech-talk-19-beautiful-ways-to-protect-bike-lanes-photos). The one labeled "Sloping curb in Portland, Oregon" (most of the way down) is what I envision.

Steve O
01-23-2014, 11:28 PM
1. Fix the Intersection of Doom
2. See #1
3. See #1
4. See #1
5. See #1
6. See #1
7. See #1
8. See #1
9. See #1
10. See #1

For those interested in an interesting solution, I posted this a couple of years ago. The beauty of it is that it requires no new bridges or tunnels and removes the conflict entirely. The ugly of it is that it requires a lot of players (NPS, VDOT, and a private landowner) to agree.
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/12248/redesign-could-improve-dangerous-rosslyn-intersection/

chris_s
01-24-2014, 08:35 AM
For those interested in an interesting solution, I posted this a couple of years ago. The beauty of it is that it requires no new bridges or tunnels and removes the conflict entirely. The ugly of it is that it requires a lot of players (NPS, VDOT, and a private landowner) to agree.
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/12248/redesign-could-improve-dangerous-rosslyn-intersection/

I showed that article to the Realize Rosslyn folks in our meeting and they were interested enough to have me email them a link when I got home. :)

dasgeh
01-24-2014, 09:05 AM
I showed that article to the Realize Rosslyn folks in our meeting and they were interested enough to have me email them a link when I got home. :)

As long as you also talked about separating bikes from peds on the Custis...

PotomacCyclist
02-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Goody Clancy (Arlington's consultant on the Realize Rosslyn sector plan update) has released the results of a year-long review of the proposal to deck over I-66 in Rosslyn and lease air rights for mixed-use development.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/breaking_ground/2015/02/air-rights-development-in-rosslyn-challenging-and.html?page=all

According to the study, current rental rates in Rosslyn wouldn't support the expense of decking over the highway. If anything happens, it may not happen for another 20 years. There is also concern that such projects could divert investment from the core to the fringe in Rosslyn. But it's also possible that air rights development could encourage more activity in the center. So they are essentially saying it could be good or it could be bad. Hmm...

Anyway, it people are relying on such developments for improving the Lynn/Lee Hwy intersection, this might not be the best source of funding, not if it won't happen for 20 years.