PDA

View Full Version : Strava's IMBA Challenge

Jason B
10-28-2013, 08:09 AM
16,500 feet in nine days, Zoinks!
Yea, sure when it is nice and warm out, but now with gloves, beenie and my footy PJ's, this is a PIA.
Who's in?

Vicegrip
10-28-2013, 08:17 AM
I am but don't think I can get it all or all from trail rides. I like climbing but I also have the do the daddy and work thing from time to time.

Jason B
10-28-2013, 08:51 AM
^^^^
Yea, the thought of doing the MOCO twice on my 1990's Mt. Tam, no matter how classic it is, ain't gonna happen. If this happens, it will be all road, except for my upcoming last place finish in this weekend's CX torture race.

consularrider
10-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I signed up, but none of my riding will be on trails (;)). It will be a little difficult since I will be traveling for the first five days of the challenge. Luckily I'll be in the hilly part of Indiana and will have a couple of bikes to use. Still, I expect I'll be lucky to get 10,000 feet of climbing in during the challenge period.

Arlingtonrider
10-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Kill Bill v. 5 could give you 11,700 feet in one day. (Just trying to be helpful here. ;) )

americancyclo
10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Kill Bill v. 5 could give you 11,700 feet in one day. (Just trying to be helpful here. ;) )

If you happen to have a spare ten hours.

dcv
10-28-2013, 09:38 PM

Weekends!

Arlingtonrider
10-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Then there's the Strava Icy Bike Winter Commuter Challenge that we mere mortals can participate in.

vvill
10-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Then there's the Strava Icy Bike Winter Commuter Challenge that we mere mortals can participate in.

I think that one's just an open club, as opposed to an official challenge. If you go to say, the page for the BikeArlington Strava club (http://www.strava.com/clubs/bikearlington) you'll see the same leaderboard/data options, etc.

I feel that Strava's overdone the challenges to the point where most of them aren't motivating anymore, but I'm sure it varies by person. Also, some of the challenges give you an award or a discount code for completing, or something, but all the monthly ones are just generic. Even the latest sponsored one (the Pearl Izumi Fall Forty) has no prizes.

I did recently get a Eurosport cycling cap free from an older Strava challenge but it was targeting the Australian market, and I used my parents' Australian address.

Endomondo allows anyone to create a challenge, and the National Bike Challenge prizes were pretty good.

KLizotte
10-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Anyone have any idea why Strava shows my biggest climb as being only *10* feet? It's even odder since the hills on that particular ride were bigger. It's been like this forever. The rest of the data looks fine (I've only had my Garmin since March).

KLizotte
10-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I joined the challenge in hopes that it will provide incentive to do more hills. Augh!

hozn
10-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I'm debating signing up. I don't like signing up unless I intend to complete the challenge; I'm not sure I have enough riding time to get that amount of elevation in these days. I also really don't like that Strava changes elevation numbers (from the Garmin). Makes sense for phones, but for devices that have altimeters/barometers it would be nice if you could assume that the number on the device will match what Strava sees when you upload it. And they keep redoing their algorithm meaning that my elevation for my commute (same route) ranges between 280 feet and 800 feet depending on Strava's mood (!) -- and that's just looking over data from the last two weeks. Makes elevation challenges a little like playing the lottery.

3000 feet a [work]day seems doable, though, if I ride slightly longer route through Arlington (hills!). So I am leaning toward trying for it! :) I have minimal time to ride on the weekends, though, so no getting to go ride Murderers Row or retrace Kill Bill.

(Needless to say this won't include much in the way of actual MTB trails. Perhaps Lake Fairfax, but that doesn't add much to the elevation profile.)

DismalScientist
10-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Anyone have any idea why Strava shows my biggest climb as being only *10* feet?

Check out this thread: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?5588-So-why-does-Strava

GB
10-29-2013, 09:20 AM
I also really don't like that Strava changes elevation numbers (from the Garmin). Makes sense for phones, but for devices that have altimeters/barometers it would be nice if you could assume that the number on the device will match what Strava sees when you upload it. And they keep redoing their algorithm meaning that my elevation for my commute (same route) ranges between 280 feet and 800 feet depending on Strava's mood (!)

I think it's fair for Strava to adjust the elevation (even if it's less accurate) because you're comparing yourself to other Strava users.

It is annoying that it changes the elevation for the same route - I just checked my rides for the past 2 weeks and there is a +/- 50ft swing, which isn't terrible, but isn't great.

Jason B
10-29-2013, 10:05 AM
I have minimal time to ride on the weekends, though, so no getting to go ride Murderers Row or retrace Kill Bill.

Where is Murderers Row?

hozn
10-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Where is Murderers Row?

Up near Frederick -- e.g. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2439173 . Fantastic hills up there!

hozn
10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
I think it's fair for Strava to adjust the elevation (even if it's less accurate) because you're comparing yourself to other Strava users.

It is annoying that it changes the elevation for the same route - I just checked my rides for the past 2 weeks and there is a +/- 50ft swing, which isn't terrible, but isn't great.

Well, my issue is that they spend a lot of energy second-guessing Garmin and, if one is to believe the various support tickets, they make the data less accurate when they do so. I know that there are issues w/ barometric elevation readings, but their massaging algorithm seems arbitrary (I'm sure it's not ...).

Note that the auto-correction is also different from what happens if you click the "Correct elevation data" button. That button applies the same algorithm, I assume, that is used for determining elevation when using phone GPS units. I have no idea why they auto adjust the incoming Garmin data when you don't ask it to correct the data, though.

Furthermore, for competitions like this I'm assuming that phone GPS users are already going to get screwed if they were to actually go off-road, though I don't know how granular the elevation data is for the region and whether they are using that or using the known profiles of roads, etc. (I know that they have some explanation of this, but I'm not confident it hasn't changed again and don't care *quite* enough to go read it again :)) Mountain bike trails are extremely tight & twisty, though, so it seems unlikely that even fairly granular elevation data is going to reflect the actual elevation profile of the ride.

In short, Strava probably shouldn't have elevation competitions because the data is all over the place -- even the same routes (I have variations much larger than 50-feet). That said, the imprecise and inaccurate nature of the data probably isn't going to stop many people from giving the competition a go.

mstone
10-29-2013, 10:46 AM

To be fair, the altimeter/barometer devices aren't particularly accurate either. In general, this is an unsolved problem. I suspect that the consumer GPS units will improve over time more than the barometers will. (Eventually, I'd expect the retail GPS chips to implement WAAS and differential corrections as volume drives the cost down.) But it will take a while, and good vertical accuracy is currently pretty expensive.

jabberwocky
10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Up near Frederick -- e.g. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2439173 . Fantastic hills up there!...thats evil. I've ridden some of those hills (not all on one ride) and they are no joke.

consularrider
10-29-2013, 11:16 AM
To be fair, the altimeter/barometer devices aren't particularly accurate either. In general, this is an unsolved problem. I suspect that the consumer GPS units will improve over time more than the barometers will. (Eventually, I'd expect the retail GPS chips to implement WAAS and differential corrections as volume drives the cost down.) But it will take a while, and good vertical accuracy is currently pretty expensive.
When I use the enable elevation correction on Garmin for my longer rides, I gain 25 to 50% more than was registered on my Garmin Edge 500. Shorter rides it's more in the 5 to 10% range.

hozn
10-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Interesting; it looks like they removed the ability to perform the manual correction. It sounds like it might happen automatically now? (https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20965883-Elevation-for-Your-Activity)

On a recent ride, here is what I got:

Garmin elevantion: 1,962 ft
Strava elevation: 1512ft

I have typically found that Strava corrections are lower than my Garmin (Edge 510) records.

Vicegrip
10-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Up near Frederick -- e.g. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2439173 . Fantastic hills up there!Nice!

My legs just slid out of my pants, ran into the other room and hid under the coffee table. I am sensing a future weekend and it looks like it has a two scoop serving of suffer in it.

KLizotte
10-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Check out this thread: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?5588-So-why-does-Strava

Have sent a service request to Strava to fix.

hozn
10-30-2013, 02:44 AM
Nice!

My legs just slid out of my pants, ran into the other room and hid under the coffee table. I am sensing a future weekend and it looks like it has a two scoop serving of suffer in it.

Yeah, those are some serious (category 3) climbs -- and descents. I will take a day off at some point to go back up there. Really nice local-ish riding.