PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Fairfax Bike Summit

eminva
10-16-2013, 12:03 PM
2013 Fairfax Bike Summit

A Bike-Friendly Tysons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2013 Fairfax Bike Summit will be held at George Mason University (GMU) from 9am - 3:30pm on Saturday, November 2. The summit will bring together interested citizens, community leaders, bicycle organizations, bike shops, and transportation professionals to discuss making Tysons and other transit-oriented, mixed-use developments more bicycle-friendly. The registration fee is $25 and includes lunch and other refreshments. Register online. A limited number of slots are available for the pre-summit workshop, Infrastructure Advocacy 101, that will be held from 9-9:45 a.m. The Summit begins at 10 a.m.

Jeff Olson of Alta Planning + Design, author of The Third Mode: Towards a Green Society, will be the keynote speaker. Other speakers include Andy Clarke, President of the League of American Bicyclists and author of Smart Cycling: Promoting Safety, Fun, Fitness, and the Environment, Bill Nesper who directs the Bicycle Friendly America program at the League of American Bicyclists, Robert Thomson (Dr Gridlock), and representatives from WABA, WMATA, Fairfax County DOT, VDOT, and several other organizations/companies.

Fairfax County is undertaking a major transformation of Tysons in an effort to create a livable, walkable, automobile-independent community. Four new Silver Line Metro stations due to open in Tysons in 2014 are part of the foundation of that transformation.
The Summit Conversation: •Importance of bicycling to the future of Tysons
•Bicycle and transit integration
•Access and encouragement for all
•Bikes and business
•Safety, law enforcement, and evaluation
•Where to next for Fairfax biking?

The success of the Tysons transformation could influence transit-oriented developments across Fairfax County for the next 40 years. From Merrifield to Springfield, Huntington to Reston, bicycle-oriented transportation options must be integral parts of future developments.

The summit is staged by Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling, in partnership with George Mason University, Fairfax County, and the City of Fairfax. If you are interested in volunteering or exhibiting at the summit, contact us at bikesummit@fabb-bikes.org. Hope to see you there!

To register, click here (http://www.eventbrite.com/event/8022492491?ref=ebtnebtckt).

P.S. The agenda was posted on the FABB Blog (http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/)on Monday (scroll down to get to it -- couldn't figure out how to cut and paste here with the formatting).

eminva
10-16-2013, 12:08 PM
If you clicked on the agenda, you will see that I am representing commuters on a panel about cycling and safety. In preparation, I am happy to hear any thoughts from fellow commuters who ride in and through Fairfax County. I am particularly interested in input on riding in Tysons, as this is the theme of the event. By no means are we limited to talking about Tysons, and I believe the Summit will be of interest to and useful for those of us riding in all parts of the county.

Feel free to send a personal message; will also meet you for coffee if you want to bend my ear.

Liz

JimF22003
10-16-2013, 08:02 PM
I ride to work in Tysons a couple of times a week.

It can only get better :)

Fortunately I just duck in from Gallows Rd across Rt 7 to my office (near the new REI), so I avoid the worst of it, but I've ridden my bike to the Honda dealership on Rt 7 a couple of times. Horrible.