PDA

View Full Version : WABA Thinks your Essential. :D

Dirt
09-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Do you suddenly have a bit more time on your hands than originally anticipated? Have you been told that you're not essential? Well I think you're essential. :D While that isn't really something that can help with any kind of employment situation, It can be a nice thing to think about while riding around DC.

This really isn't a group ride, though it fits better here than anywhere else. Basically I'm going to ride around DC on Tuesday afternoon pulling the WABA trailer and be completely responsible for myself. I'm going to obey the traffic laws and set a PERFECT example for how people should ride in the city. I'm going to visit some of the more obscure memorials and works of public art in the city. I might even talk about them out loud.

If you have the time off and would like to join me, I would love the company. I'll be riding mostly in areas with Sharrows and Bike Lanes, but not always. I plan on riding through Anacostia over the new 11th Street Bridge. We may stroll through Yards Park.

Where: WABA Intergalactic Headquarters, 2599 Ontario Rd. NW, Washington, DC 20009
When: 1pm, Tuesday October 1st.
But how do I get there? I'll be leaving Vienna at 11am and riding to WABA if you want to join me on the way there. I'll be riding the W&OD and Custis Trail to Rosslyn, then cross into Georgetown on Key Bridge and ride up to WABA through the city. If you're coming from other places, I can help with routing too.

The easy way to get to WABA from Downtown is up the 15th Street Cycletrack. Turn left on V Street, NW, then turn Right on Florida (V ends at Florida) and a quick left on Ontario. WABA is at the top of the hill at the intersection of Columbia Rd. and Ontario.

How far am I riding? No more than 20 miles. Pace will be casual. There are a few hills.

This isn't a group ride, but it would be fun if you wanted to join me.

Please ask questions if you have them. If you'd like contact information for the day-of, please send me an IM.

Hugs and Kisses,

Dirt

Dirt
09-29-2013, 07:48 AM
PS: If you actually do work on Tuesday, I'll write your boss a note saying that you "*cough* just couldn't make it to the *cough* office today. *Sneeeze*". I'll bring plenty of crayons to write with.

consularrider
09-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah WABA thinks I'm essential and so does my employer (unfortunately) and I don't think the *cough* will work. :(

sjclaeys
09-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah WABA thinks I'm essential and so does my employer (unfortunately) and I don't think the *cough* will work. :(

Indeed, my understanding of the rules is that if you are deemed essential, then you cannot take any paid leave, including sick leave.

vvill
09-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Sick leave? What's that? Is that like paternity leave?

mstone
09-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Indeed, my understanding of the rules is that if you are deemed essential, then you cannot take any paid leave, including sick leave.

Well, you can't take paid leave if you're non-essential, either.

JimK
09-30-2013, 06:33 PM
WABA also thinks many bike trails may be closed tomorrow; see below. How do they close the bike trails?

WABA has learned that if the federal government shuts down tomorrow, the National Park Service intends to close many of its properties, including regional trails, to the public. We have been provided very little detail, but we have seen preparations for closure on the Capital Crescent Trail. All or part of the heavily-commuted Rock Creek Trail, Anacostia Riverwalk Trail, and George Washington Memorial Trail are on NPS property. While we cannot provide additional information on the impacts to these trails because NPS has not been in contact with us, please be prepared for the possiblity of closures in the event of a federal government shutdown.

Dirt
09-30-2013, 06:43 PM
My guess is that anyone that might enforce this has been deemed non-essential. ;)

Sorry. I don't have a serious answer for this. I may just have to take to the road.

Kolohe
09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
@JimK - so I would imagine they would have to close the Rock Creek and George Washington Parkways too, right? (Though it does explain the condition of the Suitland Parkway trail - they must have forgtten to re-open it after the last shutdown 17 years ago).

But seriously, they did say on the news (and this makes sense) that the trail through the zoo would be closed (if the shutdown goes through)

JimK
09-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Kolohe: excellent point regarding GW and Geo Washington Parkways.

MM2
09-30-2013, 07:06 PM
"The National Park Service has informed the Natural Resources Committee that they do not expect to close access to open-entrance park land, such as the National Mall and the GW Parkway."
from http://paulryan.house.gov/govtshutdownfaq/fedservices.htm#.UkoQyBao2lI

dasgeh
10-01-2013, 08:50 AM
"The National Park Service has informed the Natural Resources Committee that they do not expect to close access to open-entrance park land, such as the National Mall and the GW Parkway."
from http://paulryan.house.gov/govtshutdownfaq/fedservices.htm#.UkoQyBao2lI

That's funny; they "closed" Jefferson Drive, but just put up silly barriers you can bike around. It's actually pretty awesome. I just wish they'd leave up bike sized gaps in the middle to make it easier for us :-)

laevanson
10-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Saw you on 15th St and tried to give a friendly honk and thumbs up! Great stuff!